The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon (TV Series 2014– ) Poster

Jimmy Fallon is annoying and childish
futurechange5 June 2015
I use to watch Letterman just because he was calm and grown up even if boring. I find Jimmy Fallon and his false sounding,extremely worded appreciation of every guest and their talent as about untruthful as I have ever seen. Most guests look so uncomfortable. His laughter is forced and false as if him laughing will make things that are not funny magically become so to the audience.

I know the man has some talent in some areas but I do not think hosting a show is one of them. The other new guy does the same but just a little less teenage type. Is there no research done on guests so you can learn something unique about them as Graeme Norton does ? It looks so old fashioned and without class.

I think they should have chosen a woman as the men are horrible. So many to choose from and we get two duds. Someone off the street could do better, I dare the networks to try it.
49 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"The Tonight Show" without class
jmcd200718 February 2015
To sum it all into perspective, I cannot stand Fallon. I tried watching a couple of episodes of his version of "The Tonight Show" but just couldn't go on. Carson would be rolling in his grave. Whatever class "The Tonight Show" once had is now gone and has been replaced by immature tomfoolery. What probably annoys me the most about Fallon is his over-emphasized laughter over the littlest things and the worshiping of his guests, which is absolutely atrocious and unnecessary. These things make him look immature, fake, and desperate for the attention and ratings. Although some of his games aren't bad, his monologues are weak...but nowhere near as bad as Letterman's, whose monologues and humor are about as dry as a desert. Anyhow, Fallon's house band, The Roots, also look like they were picked out of an alley from the 1970s. The set and furniture are bland, and so is Fallon's brand of humor. If you like toilet humor and other jokes that you'd probably hear in a middle school hallway, then this show is for you. Furthermore, if you like a "host" that lollygags around the set while barely giving his guests enough time to talk during an "interview," then this show is for you. Many of the once great hosts of late-night have either retired or are starting to wear out their welcome. For instance, although I was glad to hear that Letterman finally decided to retire, I cringe at the fact that someone like Stephen Colbert will be taking over for him come May 2015. Kimmel isn't bad, but could be better. Late night is dead, folks, and NBC just helped put another nail in the coffin here.
29 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Steve Higgins Is Too Weird
stanheckjr15 June 2017
The Tonight Show needs an overhaul! The shows host acts like a drunk frat boy and his sidekick (Steve Higgins) is weird & not funny. Jimmy Fallan also has these stupid games he plays with his guest and they are boring to watch.

Jimmy has an obvious "FAKE LAUGH" that gets on my nerves. If your looking for him to be a great interviewer don't bother. He has softball questions and never has follow up questions. With Know follow up questions that tells me "He isn't paying close attention" to what his guest is saying. He will ask a question and listens to when they stop talking so he can "Plug" his guest projects.

Steve Higgins jumps in too much during the monologue and he doesn't help. He comes across as dad that laughs at his own jokes
18 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Weak and getting weaker
jidavis-225-54984629 January 2015
Agree with reviewers who say that Fallon can pull off some funny bits but doesn't have the stuff to produce a consistently funny and entertaining full show night after night. Understand that a younger guy is supposed to appeal to a younger audience but the incessant giggling/shouting/screaming/hiding under the desk makes it unlikely that he will ever graduate from the third grade. He doesn't engage very well with guests on the show; the silly games are not a substitute for either serious or comic interaction with those appearing on the show. He might consider letting some of his accomplished guests, Seinfeld for example, do a comedy bit on their own. Also agree that the band doesn't add much to the show; would be better just to have higher quality musical guests and have them do two performances as on SNL. Bottom line - Comedy has a lot of staying power but silly gets old in a hurry; Fallon doesn't seem to know the difference between comedy and silly. At the end of the day (haha - get it?!), Jimmy seems to have succumbed to the same problem that plagues SNL; maybe he spent too much time there - take a one-time clever and humorous idea and then repeat it over and over until viewers are sick of it.
36 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Poor Jimmy......a real snooze.
lfletch0316 July 2014
I watched 10 or so shows, thinking Jimmy needed to "warm up". But the show is just terrible. It might be better without the loud mouth, obnoxious side kick. I have always liked Fallon and thought he'd do really well with this show but not so. I feel embarrassed for Jimmy. I don't care how you cut it; this show simply does not work for Jimmy. I agree with the reviewer who said something like: this is a teenager in a 39 year old's body. Monologues are corny and the skits are just horrific. I can't imagine what has happened to Jimmy. I just loved his humor but no more........not as a host anyway. He seems very awkward and unlike himself. I was really looking forward to the show as I never did warm up to Jay Leno....Jay repeated his jokes too much. I still love Jimmy Fallon but I feel very badly that he can't seem to carry this off. Like I said, it might be better if the sidekick is removed or replaced. Steve Higgins is SO loud and SO irritating. Sad, really sad !
48 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No longer watching the TONIGHT SHOW
duraflex8 January 2015
Jimmy Fallon has a modicum of talent and can pull off some funny bits but hosting the 60 minute TONIGHT SHOW 5 nights a week is obviously more than he can handle. He seems like an okay guy but he's an example of The Peter Principle in play.

Johnny Carson was the Gold Standard for hosting this show. He had charisma and depth. He could do political and social commentary, do comedy skits and handle all kinds of interviews from the serious to the silly. I still watch him on DVDs - stuff I've seen and enjoyed before.

Leno was good and usually worth staying up to watch. Politically, he leaned left but Obama was easy fodder for his jokes. Leno's interviewing skills didn't match Carson but he could handle man-on-the-street stuff and showed us how ignorant too many Americans are.

I've given Fallon about 10 tries but concluded he's not worth staying up for or even setting the DVR. The band is absolutely awful. Don't know what Fallon's ratings are or how long his contract runs but I will not be among his viewers.
35 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
He would be great if he can just stop talking all the time.
ShadeofMisery1 August 2016
Fallon is that kind of a friend who always needs to have the last word on everything. Like, if a topic comes up he just happens to know something about it or has to say something because he wants people to know that he's so smart and worldly and funny even though his facts are wrong. He's an okay, decent human being but I don't want to be around him for ten minutes.

As a host there is much to be desired. From his fake laugh and awkward clapping to his exclaiming that he loves everything and down to the poorly constructed jokes that he passes off as comedy. But it's okay because his flaws are a bit endearing.

However there is one thing that pisses me off so much. He constantly interrupts his guests. His need to always be the center of attention derails the show. For example the episode with Whoopie Goldberg where he asked two audience members to be the host for the night. I thought we would get 5 minutes of two strangers talking but instead Jimmy focused all the attention back on him by taking a selfie.

The most recent transgression is the episode with Martha Stewart. He acted like such a spoiled attention-seeking child, screaming at Questlove and Martha who were trying to make themselves heard.

This is a pattern he has with all of his guests. Whenever they talk about something or explain something or relate a story, Fallon will interrupt them with a story of his own.

The most obnoxious thing is when he does his interruptions he almost always stutters.

If you watch the show you know that he always does this. Like he can't form a coherent thought before opening his mouth.

That alone is what makes him the most incompetent host the world has ever seen.
16 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Purely Advertisment
pourdamghani9 October 2018
This show only aims for advertisements, no more or less. It has "fun" sections in between, but they are far from other late night shows. The only point about it worth watching is their music group, roots.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst host ever of The Tonight Show
bushape116 July 2014
My wife and I never like Jimmy Fallon. what is with the crap about reading those annoying cards? We never could understand that. Every host brings their own sense of humor and style. I just happen to not like Fallon's style. Even though Jay Leno left after screwing Conan out of The Tonight Show, I believe that NBC should of offered the job back to Conan instead of Fallon. Conan paid his dues at NBC and worked harder and longer at NBC than Fallon ever did. So I believe The Tonight Show should still be Conan's and I refuse to watch Jimmy Fallon. Maybe I am wrong but that is my choice. There is probably so much of behind the scenes that we don't see or even hear of. The ultimate decision will be made by the viewers.
36 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Jimmy Fallon is Doing Just Fine
gregtheassilian21 February 2014
Let me start out with saying that I have been a long time watcher of all late night talk shows and consider my self an aficionado in the topic.

With that, I question all the complaints against Jimmy Fallon and how he is running the Tonight Show. He is taking the show in a new direction and for that I applause him. I've been watching every single tonight show this week to observe how the new set up is unfolding. Fallon brings an incredible, positive energy to the tonight show that I have not seen since Carson. He's constantly happy and lively, making the show as positive as ever.

Let me also in the past, I enjoyed Jay Leno and Conan O' Brien as hosts and they did a fantastic job with their humor and making celebrities comfortable. Fallon does the same in a peppy, great attitude towards all his guests, as well as showing how humbled he is to be hosting this legendary show. His monologues and sketches are relevant and very funny due to his amazing performance abilities and the way he executes them.

In conclusion, I'd just like to say Fallon is taking the Tonight Show in a new direction and I think it's a great one. It's 2014, we can't always compare all these hosts to Johnny Carson, that was 23 years ago. Fallon relates well with this new generation as well as still retaining the older audience with his polite, humble personality. I think great things will happen with the Tonight Show in the hands of Jimmy Fallon.
40 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dumbest host ever
mohancraig1 June 2014
Even worse than Leno, is NBC allergic to real late night comedy? Who's funny? Craig Ferguson, Jimmy Kimmel, David Letterman, Stephen Colbert... even the watered down version of Conan Obrien on TBS is still funnier than the comedy bereft Fallon.

Fallon is funny if his material is scripted and rehearsed as in the movie TAXI or on SNL but left to his own devices he fails to deliver anything other than just goofy and that gets old real quick, most likely if he fired that rasta band and quit smoking so much weed he could actually deliver some punchlines that wouldn't make a real comic vomit his liquor lunch.

I hope if NBC keeps this guy they go completely bankrupt for having the stupidest idea ever, it would be a well deserved closure.
34 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Train Wreck...I give it 6 months at best
qormi19 February 2014
Jimmy Fallon is absolutely talent-free. He is immature, awkward, and clueless. He's a 13 year old trapped in a 39 year old man's body. His monologues are so lousy as to make one uncomfortable...I even pity him at times. Whenever he interviews a guest, Fallon shamelessly kisses their butts like there's no tomorrow, eagerly giggling at everything they say. I believe NBC made a huge mistake in dumping Leno for this amateurish fool. I predict that once the ratings hit the cellar, NBC execs will look back on what made Leno Number One...talent and the ability to connect with people. Leno will be back hosting the Tonite Show by September...from beautiful downtown Burbank.
30 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Where's Johnny?
rob_419 October 2018
What was NBC thinking? Jimmy Fallon is not funny! It's an embarrassment to that great institution.Jay Leno did his best and actually paid homage to the show. Late night comedy is a thing of the past now. Nobody is funny.......only using their venue to spread hate.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Talk shows hosts have their own way, and that's that
randyw015 March 2014
Fallon doesn't have the raw guttural humor of someone like Ferguson, nor should he expected to be. Fallon's semi-worship of guests has actually toned down a bit....it may drop as he ages, or not.....sometimes people just don't change.

He does not have writers that create some of the inspired bits of other shows....maybe it's not that easy to find people like that. This show is more like a very conventional show than something created with a niche audience. He'll find a way to survive.

As for people making political accusations here, you sound like very grumpy people who can't watch anything on TV without demanding that everything should be your way.
12 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Jimmy Fallon is the greatest man in the universe
daveydavid135 March 2014
After reading some of these awful reviews, I thought I might have accidentally pressed the The Tonight Show Starring Jay Leno. He was awful, they needed a fresh face and a person who could resurrect the Tonight Show to its previous greatness. They hired the right man for the job, Jimmy Fallon. Jimmy is an outgoing, nice, talented and a great guy. His sketches are very funny, the monologues are interesting and funny, and the interviews are great, but some of the interviews vary in funniness, depending on the guest. Fallon is always very respectful and nice to the guest. Leno was getting old and he wasn't funny, it wasn't because of his politics. Jimmy Fallon is a lot more engaging with guests and more talented then Jay Leno. Yes, Jimmy is liberal, but he doesn't showcase his political views and is usually very fair when making jokes about conservatives and liberals. And really you shouldn't decide whether you like someone or not, because of their political views. If you do, then you already dislike 60 million Americans. These reviews of Jimmy are rather unfair, and I think you should watch a couple of episodes and judge for yourself. If you like him, then you can go to bed with a smile on your face, if you don't, then you get an extra hour of sleep. For what I've seen, Jimmy Fallon will do a great job as the host of the Tonight Show. Also, (Steve) Higgens is great and hilarious. I expect Fallon to be on air for the next 20 years. Thank you for reading my review.
25 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Idiotic replacement for the likes of Leno and Johnny Carson
climbingivy24 February 2014
N.B.C. aka the National Broadcasting Network has lost their liberal minds.Steve Allen,Jack Paar,Johnny Carson and Jay Leno knew that the Tonight Show was not about the host, but about the guests appearing, and the give and take between the host and the guests.Now with Jimmy Fallen as the host, the show is garbage.What is to like?Jimmy Fallen with Justin Timberhead, rapping and dancing around like a couple of fools.I believe that you N.B.C., dumped Jay Leno because he dared to make fun of Republicans and Democrats.We can't have a N.B.C. host making fun of Democrats can we? Fine N.B.C.! What you have done is to destroy another American institution with a liberal punk who has no talent.Keep it up N.B.C., you have ruined the Olympics coverage with liberal puke hosts.Now you have destroyed what Steve Allen,Jack Paar,Johnny Carson and Jay Leno worked so hard to build up.
17 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Steve Higgins is too weird and annoying
Hollywoodwhore9916 March 2017
If you are under 50 you know miss the good old days of "The Tonight Show" with Johnny Carson. The "Johnny Carson Era" is the gold standard. When Jay Leno hosted it least we had more clever segments and a funny opening MONOLOGUE.

However Jimmy Fallon show is not clever or funny. It needs improvement fast! Plus he has an annoying phony laugh.

His side kick Steve Higgins looks like a refuge from the 1950's. His "Games" are stupid and boring to watch. At times the guest look bored playing them. His interviewing also weak. .

If you want to watch a late night show that has better jokes watch his completion.

Jimmy please stop your phony laugh. Get rid of Steve Higgins and those games. Steve Cobert is beating you for a reason.
7 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It looks like Jimmy's only taking the money
bmtwineman22 November 2016
I used to be a fan of The Tonight Show. But lately Jimmy Fallon has turned into an idiot. Why would he be taking the wrong side on this political agenda. He is a very talented man that is using this platform to collect money. I know he's smarter than that. Quit making fun Donald Trump, our president! You don't deserve to be sitting down laughing at him. I wish I could convey everything I need to say in this short time, but of course for them it's into a few lines of this agenda to make this tablet. I am a believer in the Constitution cover I believe we live to be able to express your own opinion, but when money is involved comma sometimes people like Jimmy Fallon take it wrong again.. I wish I hope American Bandstand Tumi a part of the truth, the only thing that matters in America is the truth!
7 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Spoiler ALERT!!!
lopez-danm23 February 2014
Jimmy Fallon lacks pizazz. There spoiler alert. There is no excitement; just a drawn out set of routines. Where is the authenticity? or any sense of chemistry between the host and guests. Rapport building is what is missing from his show; instead it's shallow, and monotone...From beginning to end..Each guest is used as a means to bolster his show, as opposed to giving the viewing public an insight into those he invites on.

In order for this show to have any sustainability it will need to have some heart, have some spirit instead of feign interest. Ultimately, it comes with who Jimmy Fallon is as a person and whether he cam emit a persona that draws in the audience. In other words, he needs to come into himself if he can garner more confidence, and give an authentic piece of himself into the job; perhaps, he may have himself a legacy. If not, I suggest NBC produce, a Last Comic Standing, with established Hollywood type comedians, as well as up and coming comedians, i.e. Gabriel Iglesias....that's a guy with talent, and whole bunch more that would draw TV viewers their way.
13 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Opened OK, uncomfortable with U2
photoe18 February 2014
The monologue was OK. It was a bit mushy and maudlin, but had some funny moments and self-deprecating lines that took the pressure off. The studio is smallish and low-ball for the Tonight show. It feels like a college auditorium more than a top-flight spectacle like with Carson and Letterman. It's not a late night stage, and not up to the standards of either Kimmel or Letterman. NBC supports its talent once again. You really wonder about these TV execs sometimes - their lack of ability to put together a show in the classic sense, but that's Hwood nonsense at its peak isn't it?

The dance segment with WIll Smith was pretty good by Gen X and younger generational standards, but it was kind of hack and not something you can build a show on long term. It did show that Fallon has a physical component that can be used to some extent, though it also demonstrated a sort of desperation to substitute slapstick for personality. Is this something people want in the Tonight Show long term? I doubt it, but as I said, maybe this appeals to the new demo they're looking for.

The segment with U2 was quite uncomfortable first with Fallon saying that now that U2 were nominated for an academy award, they were in the 'big time' as if they weren't over the last 30 years. The other error was cajoling Bono to give a speech about a coffee mug to prove what a good speaker he could be at the Academy Awards. Bono tried to bat it away, but then relented half-heartedly and sucked at it, and wow, was that uncomfortable for a while. THe band, meanwhile, did NOTHING to alleviate the dead time.

Then Fallon set up U2 to play their newest song with instruments hid behind the seats, something U2 mocked as a concept repeatedly as Will Smith laughed in a mocking fashion, and that was funny, at Fallon's expense. It was like two old school major acts were laughing at this newbie, when they weren't trying to help him not bomb. Wow, was it ever amateur hour right then. I think about half of Americans on 2-3 drinks could've managed these stars in a more entertaining fashion.

Then U2 played and proved why they're famous. The only moment of relief was Fallon asking why his guitar wasn't plugged in. He set a really uncomfortable tone with U2, even though they rode it like pros, and you could see Bono was knocked a bit off balance until they started playing. In fact, he seemed to have become genuinely annoyed, since Fallon was a bit short of respect, like with his comment about Leno's band, I don't know if this is from nerves, or he really sees anyone older than him as being not that great (except the BeeGees or another act from NYC), but the overall treatment of U2 was lacking in depth. Fallon really seemed to know almost nothing about their past, and he had time to research. Maybe they aren't his favorite, then why have them on?

Maybe he'll get better, but they better up the production value/excitement quickly and Fallon better become a better interviewer soon. His stand-up though seemed reasonable, but the sappy squishy stuff needs to go ASAP , unless his female and younger fans lap it up.

All I can say is this is not a show someone over 35 would be into and Craig Ferguson entertains the older crowd as well as clearly bringing in the younger viewers like Letterman did once upon a time. Plus the band is lifeless.

Seth Myers will take this show in a year. Guaranteed.
24 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fallon is not funny at all and the tonight show is no longer tonight.
afijamesy2k25 February 2014
This is absolutely the most pathetic version of the tonight show I've ever seen, fallon is not funny and brings no distinct impression the way the late johnny Carson and jay Leno, the set is atrocious, the lines are funny, the musicians are pathetic, joan rivers look as lost as usual and everything else is plain trash, I Remember when I Was the tonight show with johnny Carson back in the day, he has charm, style and heart that most talk shows don't have (even arsenio hall has that), but this guy is not funny, embarrassing, he is a globalist left wing garbage filth, just like the neocons, their all on the same boat, Junk, this is the worst tonight show of the last 60 years and it's a shame, because Carson and Leno truly made the show for what it is, laughter, time and honesty.

I Personally cannot wait for this fallon clown to be booted.
20 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Jimmy Fallon is the WORST
algonklin3 March 2018
Wanted to see the curling gold medal winners. Could not even bear to watch until the curlers came on. GET RID OF THIS GUY.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
can i get a thank you music, please..
merelyaninnuendo25 December 2017
The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

A team work is clearly projected in here and with the help of Jimmy Fallon and his comic sense with Steve Higgins, it works.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is made for children
rmkellync31 October 2018
Sorry Jimmy. The 1230 slot was fine for what Jimmy Fallon and team were doing, and it worked for me there as a progression of Letterman to Conan to Fallon: in that time slot.

What NBC said they didn't like about Conan I guess castrated anyone's creative juices and what we have now as The Tonight Show is not memorable. You can't force things to be interesting and go viral just by saying so. It might work for the one Trending blip, but Suzy Twitter isn't watching the Tonight Show on her local affiliate, or buying the products the advertisers are selling. More importantly: she won't be watching late night talk shows with any regularity like this show needs. The Tonight Show even in Leno years produced things people talked about organically - and I hated Leno. Carson and Leno held an audience night to night which this show can't do. Slick production value, limitless budget, A list guests, even with Higgins carrying a heavy load during the monologue, and the courage of the Roots to have stuck it out: it's unwatchable. It's like you're being told to have fun and it's not fun. I've removed it from my queue, don't seek it out on Hulu. Live I'll watch Colbert, on demand Kimmel.

This Tonight Show seems better suited to be on against Ellen in the afternoon.

The biggest winner is Seth Meyers of course who has emerged as the best network late night host bar none and solidifies the long term Lorne Michaels legacy when NBC stops throwing money at this show.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very entertaining, even in the Netherlands
belleherder10 February 2015
I heard Jimmy Fallon once say that he would like the show to be something that gives a positive end to the day for someone. Being entertained right before you fall asleep. Well that is exactly what he does for me! The tonight show is very entertaining and Jimmy is the best host! He has a lot of charisma and you can tell that he is having fun in what he does. How contagious is that? I love the way he treats his guests. With respect, admiration and love. His skits are funny and the games are so much fun. Nothing wrong with having fun! The monologue is informative but funny. The Tonight Show is shown in the Netherlands so we are in luck. And yes we get all his jokes. So, my review is very positive, I look forward to every episode and I hope that Jimmy Fallon will be on for a long long time!
9 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.