Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (2019) Poster

An adaptation that should please fans of the classic book anthology series, as well as serve as a great gateway horror film.
frankjohnsonhawks7 August 2019
While this film doesn't break any new ground or add innovation to the horror genre necessarily, it brings the stories we grew up with to life and gives them a richer visual identity. Ovredal/Del Toro excel at giving us chillingly well constructed tension filled scenes of ominous creatures, haunting spirits, and just an atmospheric overall feel that puts the viewer right into the stories. While the teen characters are by the numbers and wreak of goosebumps/IT/Stranger Things influence, they are serviceable for the particular story. The horror visuals take the main focus and steal the show for the 108min runtime which is actually longer than most horror's of this nature and build off scene to scene effectively. Even viewers that are unfamiliar with the classic stories of the same name will be very satisfied with this film and hopefully be inspired to go back and read the books. I hope this film spawns a franchise and I'm happy to say this thoroughly surprised me as i was cautiously optimistic as to how they'd adapt it.
54 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Adult Goosebumps with a PG-13 Rating
Yee_Reviews8 August 2019
Good: The main story that is tying the 'scary stories' together is interesting and a fresh take as the 'scary stories' are short and filler needs to be made for a feature film. The direction from Øvredal is great finding the right amount of scares to be had with built suspense from the grisly production by Del Toro.

Bad: The cast is fine, nothing spectacular or atrocious, it is something you would expect from a horror film. Some lines are cheesy and laughable. The main story could have been shortened.

Overall: Although there is nothing innovating it is still a solid fresh straight-up(less jump scare, more imagery) horror of 2019 that can pass the time with entertainment and chills to be made.

3.5/5
33 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Seriously Scary Movie!
N-Gentry7 August 2019
As a fan of the books for over thirty years, I couldn't wait to finally see these terror tales on the big screen. Let me just say it was definitely worth the wait. This is one seriously scary movie! From corpses, scarecrows and creepy spiders, there's plenty to make you jump and cringe. The cast was amazing and Natalie Ganzorhn can definitely scream! I would avoid letting kids see this movie because it's very creepy. I must've jumped at least ten times. To be honest I'm surprised it managed to avoid an R-rating. Rest assured this is a fun, scary fright flick. I loved every second of it.
71 out of 118 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great adaptation to the books!
fernandocisneroz9 August 2019
I enjoyed this film mostly because this was part of the Scary Stories Collection that I read when I was about 7 to 9 years old and the monsters and ghosts look straight from the original illustrations of Stephen Gammel.

If you're expecting this to be along the vain of IT or blood and gore type of movie, or if you've never read the books before you may not like it. You have to remember the stories target audience was designed for kids, young adults and those who have read the series.

I think this was a pretty well done film for a family as my 10 year old loved it. The acting was good,I was expecting a modern time period movie not a Vietnam era type of movie. And it's cool they left it open for sequels like the title of the other two books in the series, More Scary Stories and Even More Scary Stories.
31 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Is this a Nickelodeon production?
mr-jonathanmargolis10 August 2019
The trailers really mislead this one. It appeared to be a dark and ominous horror film. Instead, it's a very mild mystery with some great visuals. No scares at all in this one. Somewhat interesting, but overall I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
79 out of 138 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very Weak Horror Film for Younger Audiences
bastille-852-7315479 August 2019
I was a bit skeptical about how the trailers for this looked, but I decided to see it anyway because Guillermo del Toro was producing (who I love.) I have not read the book on which it is based. Unfortunately, the film was a mess, and I'm honestly pretty surprised that Del Toro attached his name to this, even though he's not directing this time.

The film tells the story of a group of teenagers who enter a haunted house on Halloween, and end up reading a book of scary stories that comes to life. Unfortunately, far too much of virtually all of the stories are revealed in the film's trailers, which reduces the impact of them on the viewer. Additionally, most of them except the "Jangly Man" story at the end are too short to really have a real impact on the viewer. Unlike other Del Toro-credited efforts in the horror genre, like the Gothic horror film "Crimson Peak," this movie overloads itself with loud and obnoxious jump-scares, which is one of the laziest tropes in modern horror movies. There's no genuine suspense or dread building. The script is generally rather weak, and the characters are underdeveloped. The writers try some attempt at social commentary by making some parallels to some of Richard Nixon's worst instincts (the story is set in 1968) to try to highlight similarities between Nixon and Trump. Unfortunately, however, this attempt at social commentary feels too forced, unlike in (for example) Jordan Peele's films where the social commentary is both subtle-at-times yet strikingly genuine. I will give Del Toro credit for making visually interesting creatures/monsters in the stories, as we can always expect from him. But otherwise, this film ends up being a misfire. It's also not clear who its target audience is, as it's too scary for children but too childish for most teen and adult viewers. Not recommended. 4/10
55 out of 99 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An effective gore free fright fest. Warning: Spoilers
I went into this movie knowing blood was not going to be a thing I was going to see in this film. It is based on a book series for teens after all. Me being a fan of the books as a kid I was super excited when I found out about this and I wasn't disappointed. It isn't a fast paced scare, scare and scare again movie. It takes its time in places but it doesn't feel slow. The CGI and creatures were super creepy and awesomely effective.

Was it the scariest thing I've seen? No.. far from it but I will watch it again and hope it might get itself a unrated version for the more intense moments. I didn't feel like they held back to much like I was scared they would do like they did slender man and sunk it to the bottom of the ocean.

Watch it! It has its harsh moments and it gets vicious at times. Someone even gets impaled and the deaths are shown on screen so don't worry it won't cut away right before the good stuff. It gives you that good stuff tho slightly tame but super scary and effective.
25 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Where is my toe?!!!
Piixie889 August 2019
**If you haven't read the books, you're better off not seeing it or you most likely won't like it**

This movie is based off children's books that were published in 1981, 1984 and 1991. Most of the audience this movie will garner will be from people who read these books when they were kids. Hardcore horror fans will PROBABLY not like it. You will not be scared except MAYBE with the jump scares.

I'm sure kids will love it, just be mindful of the age your kids are and how they handle horror. This isn't like goosebumps. People who scare easily will like it too.

They did a wonderful job getting the "scary" characters to look exactly how they were illustrated. In the books none of the stories are connected. Here, a main story was created to connect them. It's actually not that bad. It's scarier and less cheesy than what passes as children's horror but it's not like what adults expect. An in-between horror film with some good, CREEPY and FUNNY moments. Nevertheless, I enjoyed it but sheer childhood nostalgia drove me to go see it.
19 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Embarrassing
whineycracker20009 August 2019
To clarify, I am a lifelong horror fan and a child of the 80's. I grew up with these books, and therefore they hold a special place in my heart. I should have listened to my heart when it told me that this film never should have been made so I am mad at myself for paying to see it. I guess this is on me, because, alas I did.

Having said that, I must say that I am speechless at how bad this film was. The original books left so much to the imagination but this film version has none and leaves no room for audiences to use theirs. Yes, I know it's a "PG-13 horror film", but there are countless PG and PG-13 horror films that are excellent examples of the genre and outshine this wretched mess on every conceivable level: "Poltergeist" "The Gate", The "Monster Squad", from the 80's are a few examples, if we are talking kid-friendly. "Get Out", 2002's Mothman Prophecies, and "Insidious" come to mind if we are citing more current PG-13. In fact, some of the scariest films ever made were PG (if you don't believe me, check out Disney's Watcher in the Woods from 1980 or 1980's The Changeling for starters).

Technically the film is perfectly average. The musical score is recycled from every modern film of it's type, cinematography stale, and the CGI effects out of place, as they undermine the books' old-fashioned sensibilities. Speaking of old-fashioned sensibilities, the film's depiction of small town America, especially 60's America, is hollow and inauthentic. Every authority figure and adult character is an unlikable stereotype, each lacking the warmth and innocence you would find during the time. The main teen characters are all stock, lacking any semblance of charisma or nuance, and speak in distractingly modern day colloquialisms. These are kids of today that act and talk like kids of today.

The film's ultimate misstep is by creating a perfectly unnecessary narrative thread designed to link all the disparate stories together. This adds absolutely nothing to the proceedings and results in the majority of the main characters spending half the film's running time reading aloud from books "searching for the answers" to help them destroy-whatever is-never mind, it doesn't matter. If this was a mystery, that would be perfectly fine, -but it's a film based on one to two page stories, intended to scare the living daylights out of its readers- and should have been presented strictly as an anthology (ala Creepshow). Scary Stories (stories and/or films) were meant to be visceral-to be experienced on a primal level-and I would expect a film based on famous books that did just that, to follow suit. Instead, Scary Stories seems more concerned with pandering solely to fans of "Stranger Things" and the "It" crowd.

One last note: for a modern day PG-13 horror film, Scary Stories is far more gruesome than all the aforementioned films of it's type I cited earlier, while still managing to be infinitely less scary and well made.
57 out of 111 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wait till Netflix
chrisagray-2739910 August 2019
This movie looked so good from the previews, but leaves you leaving bored and disappointed
28 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Horror movie? More like a fantasy fairytale.
vratislavelias9 August 2019
The movie itself was not bad. However if people see a movie's description as 'horror movie' they tend to expect one. Sadly, Scary Stories to tell in the dark was just a scarier Maleficient. If you have kids and you want to slowly start them to watch horror movies then this is definitely the one to start with. The way the 'bad guys' were portrayed in this movie reminded me more of the 'Ghostbusters' remake than any other real horror movie. Heads down to Harold though.
25 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrible all around
nickdambrosio9 August 2019
I'm very surprised to see so many positive reviews. This movie is a mess. It's not scary, the "comedy" is painfully cheesy, and the acting is mostly horrible. Do not waste your time or money. Worst movie I've seen in theaters in years.
60 out of 127 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring movie
neveu-dan10 August 2019
As a fan of the books I wanted to love this movie but the horrible sub par acting and very slow and boring plot really made me disappointed. What a missed opportunity to make a great movie from the source material.
29 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
SLOWLY FRIGHTEN THE AUDIENCE.
andrewchristianjr7 August 2019
Seriously a scary movie. Unfortunately, some plots seem under-explored. For some, this film might not make u difficult to sleep, although some disturbing scenes might be quiet disturbing. However, this film not use too many jumpscares like other horror films, it slowly frighten the audience until the heart beats fast and makes us guess what will happen next. Not too predictable. Props for that!
20 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Intense!
LDRmuffin7 August 2019
I love the story & all the monsters. They created the monsters quite scary and some of them even made me goosebumps & uncomfortable. I guess there will be a sequel for this film (?). Go watch it guys!
25 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
There's so much 'SCARY STORIES to Tell in the Dark'
bhernandez22167 August 2019
Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, is one of the creepiest, scariest, and terrifying movie of the summer that's based on a children's scary novel by: Alvin Schwartz, and original illustrated by: Stephen Gammell. This summer, by Guillermo Del Toro, will make you scream go more Scary Stories, where the stories, write themselves, and all comes alive, on the big screen.
31 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An enjoyable flick - but more then that? Nah
jonatan_juntunen9 August 2019
It was ok. Seriously tho, this movie was not bad, but it was not very good either. Its a completely enjoyable flick, but doesnt really bring anything new. There was not one scene where i even felt a twinge of fear, so if you are there for the horror, look somewhere else. Cgi was ok, could have been done practically, but to no surprise they didnt choose that route. The movie feels very slow phased at some moments, something that led me to yawn several times. When the climax finally happens, it - wait a minute? What climax? There wasnt one.
25 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disney Version of a scary movie!
islandboyz-408669 August 2019
This movie dragged and never kept me captivated. It was terrible and not scary at all. I mean it was literally like a Disney version of horror. Its like a movie you would watch if your high just for the laughs at how terrible it dragged and how terrible the stories are. Not scary at all. The trailer totally fooled me. I dont know the back story if this was based off goosebumps or a novel or something or is its own book. But the scary stories were catered for little kids and not scary at all. Save you guys money for IT 2. I walked out halfway through it. If I see the director or creator of this movie on this street I would probably have some unpleasant words at how terrible this flop of a movie is.
25 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really wanted to like this but....
mitch304010 August 2019
No spoilers here but what did i just see half of?? I walked out 1 hour in. I was waiting for something to get good but it did not. I really dont care how it ends because it never really started anything. It is 100% not scary. There is nothing scary at all. It was like a PG rated version of a scary movie. I have no idea why anyone would write a review saying this is scary. Please save your money.
19 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolutely terrifying!
kylieanderson-782959 August 2019
The whole movie was put together beautifully! The acting was amazing, the costumes & cgi was beautiful & terrifying, anyone who says this is a bad movie has obviously never seen a bad horror movie!
19 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Exactly what I thought
cpalmer-744779 August 2019
Fantastic adaptation from the book, this movie for being a pg-13 horror film was amazing. There was nothing I didn't like about the movie! Must see!
12 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I had fun
kurt-20008 August 2019
I personally enjoy the horror films that have been released in recent years. Yes, there is the predictability, which is becoming more of an issue. I agree with another review that pointed out that devote horror fans seeking quality might be disappointed in this film. And I've read reviews that stated their disappointment. But for a basic horror, I enjoyed it. I have no intention of stating the plot, and giving away the film.
21 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Poor
rudydog-8016911 August 2019
Nothing scary here. I guess if you are 8 or so maybe......Didn't know this was based on children's books. Pretty boring and the rest of the audience seemed the same. Lots of kids there so that should've given me a clue.
16 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I fell asleep! Boring!
bigdgonzo10 August 2019
I felt this movie didn't deliver what I suspected! The book is amazing.. the movie wasn't scary at all, just an adult version of goosebumps! I knock out half way the movie! But I do believe they try there best! Save your money!
16 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really Creepy but The Ending Was Anti-Climax
mariacheriee8 August 2019
The story-line is unique. As a big fan of horror movie, I feel like the story-line is really interesting and different than other mainstream horror movies that I've watched, and I like it. Some of the ghosts are really creepy and unexpected. It's been so long since I got scared by a movie's ghost. Also, the movie has the right amount of jumpscares, and it made me jump out of my seat every time.

Even though the plot is interesting, I think the ending is disappointing. I understand that it must be so hard to create an epic ending for supernatural horror movies, cause it's like either you make the ghosts go away or you (unintentionally) let them stay. But looking at how good the plot is, I was expecting a good ending as well. Maybe it's because I was so into the movie from the beginning.
19 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.