Pan (2015) Poster

(2015)

Missed the point of Pan
michaeltong-291809 December 2015
Pan is one of those films where it's hard to pinpoint what is wrong because the answer is basically everything. I'm confused as to how they managed to turn such a simple story into such a convoluted mess.

At his core, Peter Pan is just a boy who escapes to a magical fantasy land because he doesn't want to grow up. In Neverland he leads a crew of similarly disenfranchised kids, plays games with Indians, swims with mermaids, and fights pirates.

Simple right? Well not according to Joe Wright and the producers of this film. For some reason they felt the need to cram in every single cliché possible in order to 'modernize' the story despite the fact that the themes in Barrie's stories were already timeless.

Levi Miller stumbles here and there but he was well cast as Peter. However the script doesn't support the role. At certain points he becomes secondary in his own story. His desires don't move the plot forward and after the first 20 minutes he has very little to do except "learn how to fly". We never seem him turn into the character we know as Peter Pan except for the fact that *spoilers* he flies at the end. And don't even get me started on 'The Chosen One' thing.

Tiger Lily, played by Rooney Mara, is bland, and I'm not talking about the color of her skin. She's your typical warrior princess and for some reason they try to set up a possible romance between her and Hook. She's basically around to be walking talking exposition.

Jackman also does a good job, but his character, Blackbeard, isn't interesting. His motivations are paper thin. He wants to mine some fairy dust in order to live forever which doesn't even make sense because Neverland supposed to be a place where people don't age. Blackbeard is just shoehorned in there so they could have a villain other than Hook.

This brings me to one of the most pointless things in the film: Hook being Peter's ally. It doesn't amount to anything. You never get a sense of conflict between the two. You keep waiting for a point when Hook is going to betray Peter but it never happens. You want to see that scene where Peter cuts off his hand and feeds it to the crock, but it never happens. Hook's only motivation in this film is to escape and go home. He doesn't seem like he could turn into the devious Captain we know. At the end of the film, Hook and Pan are still friends and they just hint at a possible conflict in the sequel with a throw away line. Also, if you're a kid and this is your introduction to the character of Hook the 'twist' will go right over your head.

And why is Hook American? Who made this decision?

Another problem with Pan is the over-use and reliance of CGI. It looks fake, especially Peter's flying. Peter Pan was better animated in 1953, not in terms of graphical fidelity, but in motion. He had weight, he had grace, and he was agile. In Pan he just kind of floats like he's being dragged by a mouse cursor.

When you stretch the rules of reality too far it becomes unbelievable even in a world like Neverland. You have to have rules. In Pan there are flying pirate ships. Why? How do they fly? It's never explained. The ships can fly both in the real world and Neverland. There is no consistency.

I'm giving this film a 1 out of 10 because they squandered so much potential. The source material is so rich and this is the best they could come up with? I think a live action Peter Pan film could be successful but if they ignore the themes that make the story interesting in the first place it just won't resonate with the audience.
184 out of 258 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awkward and misguided
eddie_baggins11 May 2016
If there was a more awkward movie than Pan released in the last few years I'd certainly like to know about it as Joe Wright's big budgeted wannabe franchise starter is a lavishly coloured and extravagant picture that lacks knowledge of what it actually wants to be or who in fact it's aimed at and judging by the films flopping at the box office the world over, it seems as though audiences too struggled to figure out who should be watching this revamping of J.M Barrie's classic material or why they should be watching it.

Tonally all over the place and with a story that seems to meander about the motions until a highly lacking finale and lack of answers regarding certain story questions (a glaring one being how Hook and Pan in fact become enemies as they are adventures together here), for the first time in his quietly impressive directing career Wright seems completely lost within his narrative and fails to liven up proceedings despite throwing every known colour onto the screen, plopping in Nirvana songs and letting many of his actors ham it up to level 11 to try and cover up the fact Pan's story is actually rather dull in a world that should be anything but.

Our Pan here is played by newcomer Levi Miller and the poor young performer labours in his first major turn injecting Peter with neither the charm, smarts nor emotion that was needed for the role. When you consider however how his cast alongside a horribly miscast double act of Garrett Hedlund (who continues to frustrate as a lead actor) and the beyond bad Rooney Mara, the child performer didn't really stand much of a chance. The films only saving grace acting wise is Hugh Jackman who has a blast playing Blackbeard the fearsome pirate who will stop at nothing to collect that sought after pixie dust but while he has fun it still doesn't make a whole lot of sense having Blackbeard in this beloved tale.

Whilst normally it would not be something called out for by the masses it would've actually been nice for Pan to stick more closely to the original Peter Pan story that has enchanted readers and viewers for decades upon decades and while its commendable for a big budget film to take such a risk on a new take on a well-trod property, Pan is a stinging reminder of what can go wrong when money is thrown all over the place and scripts seem doctored to tick off as many set piece wish lists as possible and for the first time in his career Joe Wright has crafted an almost irredeemably bad piece of cinematic entertainment.

All those seeking a Peter Pan fix are much better off seeking out a copy of Disney's beloved animated take or even the similarly styled Steven Spielberg event Hook.

1 ½ awkwardly used Nirvana song out of 5
52 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Would have been better if it WASN'T a Peter Pan Story
entrepa-18 February 2016
By the end of the film I was absolutely convinced that what was produced was NOT the original story or screenplay. Most likely the writer had a fun adventure planned out for a poor orphaned boy from WWII England. It was suggested that he was dyslexic, which I thought had some potential - being myself married to a brilliant dyslexic. In any case, I imagine that the writer took his screenplay to various producers who said something along the lines of "That's a nice story, but no one has ever heard of it. We can't SELL it. Can't you turn it into, oh, say Peter Pan? We can sell Peter Pan."

So the poor writer hacks and slashes his work to conform it to Mr. Barrie's tale and it becomes an abomination of both his original story and that of Peter Pan.

Visually impressive. A good performance by its young lead, but he is wasted on such a mishmash of a story. Hook? Grating on the senses. Tiger Lily? Perhaps in a different universe she would work, with an entirely different name. Blackbeard? Mr. Jackson should read the script before signing on to do his next film, although he does make a good villain. Nirvana??? Utterly inexplicable.
21 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A discombobulated mess
casey-annak26 July 2016
My husband and I sat down to watch this one Sunday evening and it was so bad I almost turned it off. But inertia is a powerful force and passively sitting through the movie in its entirety seemed easier than trying to figure out who was sitting on the remote.

I wanted to like Pan. I really did. It was one of my favorite Disney movies as a kid and a live action origin story sounded fun and exciting. However, the movie completely missed the mark.

The first act of the movie takes place in an orphanage taken straight from Oliver Twist. Corrupt nuns hoard rations and abuse children, ultimately selling them off to fantastical pirates. The head nun resembles more of a deranged terrier with her growling and barking than an actual person. One dimensional characters aside, Levi Miller shines as Peter, a brave, clever, and mischievous child.

It's when the pirates enter as cirque du soleil style abductors that the movie starts to fall apart. For some reason they have been abducting children from the orphanage in pairs until the fateful night that Peter is abducted that they seem to be gunning for the entire population of the orphanage. Not sure how the nuns were going to explain that away. Whoever designed the pirate costumes couldn't decide whether they were trying to channel Mad Max or Burning Man. There was no common thematic approach, which just made the lot look disorganized and in-cohesive.

Anyway, the kids are taken aboard a flying pirate ship that proceeds to engage in a gun battle with London fighter pilots before hitting turbo boost and traveling to Neverland. This is where I almost turned off the movie. The kids are thrown into a mining pit with thousands of other slaves and then enters Blackbeard (Hugh Jackman) to the forced chorus of Smells Like Team Spirit by Nirvana. Yeah, did I mention that this was supposed to be taking place during WWII? The inclusion of the song only served as a distraction, did nothing to further the story line or set the scene. Jackman's version of Blackbeard can't figure out if he is supposed to be evil and menacing or more slapstick. Either way the character comes across as obnoxious and annoying.

It's about this time that Peter is introduced to James Hook played by Garret Hedlund who proceeds to channel a weird Jack Nicholson-esque rendition of Hook. I kept expecting him to bust out the phrase, "Here's Johnny!" Some things happen. Peter learns that he may be the "chosen one" from a prophesy and Hook helps him escape the mines.

They eventually come upon the natives, the leader, Tiger Lily, is white washed by a subdued and uninteresting Rooney Mara. For some reason the writers feel the need to insert a love interest between Tiger Lily and Hook, which doesn't work, it makes no sense, and it just leads to a lot of stupid simpering and lingering hand holding between the two characters.

The superficial side stories detract from the main story, which is supposed to be a hero's quest for Peter. At times Peter seems like a supporting character in his own journey as the story line meanders and doesn't do much in the way of story development. And all the while there is some over the top CGI that looks horrible and reminds you that you are watching a very bad movie.

The movie culminates with Peter leading the kingdom of fairies in a battle against the pirates in which the fairies easily win. As the credits were rolling I turned to my husband and asked, "So why couldn't the fairies have just done that without Peter?"

This movie could have been so good! The story could have been super simple and still magical. But the writers and director seemed like kids in the candy store. Too much star power, which they didn't know how to harness into great performances, too much CGI, which just comes across as fake and distracting, and too many superficial story lines that never amounted to anything.
18 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Movie, wrong audience
emilychantry22 October 2015
I took my nephew and niece to see this movie this past week, and one thing was clearly noticeable. The movie is a bit to overwhelming for small kids.

However, if you don't go to this movie to see a funny and uplifting 'Hook' remake, but instead go to see a more deep and thrilling retelling of a childhood tale, you will be most pleasantly surprised. The movie, from this point of view, is fantastic.

I feel bad that it has received such harsh reviews from parents that apparently took their small kids to a movie without first at least watching the trailer. Its a bit darker then its predecessors, but is clearly shown that way through the trailer.

Let me put it this way, if the trailer looks like a movie you want to see, you will not be disappointed here.
94 out of 150 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I don't care what the critics say, I enjoyed it from start to finish!
mig_gtaiv18 October 2015
Upon seeing the trailer I was hesitant that it might be good but I decided to give it a shot and watched it during its premiere.

And boy, was I surprised!

I absolutely loved the simple things that foreshadow the events of the actual story: James Hook using a hook in the mining scene, the ticktock of the bomb that he placed to set Peter free, Tiger Lily scaring Hook with the crocodile and many more. I have to give credit to the writer with his different take on the Peter Pan story.

Also, the friendship between Hook and Peter was great, they got each other's backs, with Hook saving Peter and vice-versa, kinda sad that they'll eventually end up as enemies since this movie established that relationship.

Everyone was right for the role, Hugh Jackman was amazing as the villain, how he looked here made me forget that he is Wolverine. Rooney Mara was dashing in her Tiger Lily role and performed well even though she was Caucasian in contrast to the natives. Garrett Hedlund played this cocky, playboy-type, off-character Hook who always provides the laughable comebacks. Levi Miller was great as Peter, that dude's going places.

Although, I have to note the lack of battle between Peter and Blackbeard, since the prophecy stated that the former will defeat the latter. They should have put at least a short duel between the two because that'd be amazing.

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed the film, I don't care what the Rotten Tomatoes rating or critics say!
66 out of 106 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why the hate?
dutchs-121 October 2015
How dumb do you have to be to misunderstand a movie like Pan? Because this movie has generated some of the dumbest review comments I've ever seen. "There's no Wendy." Because this is a PREquel. Look up "pre" in a dictionary. "It's dark." All fairy tales are, and their modern imitations like Peter Pan or Pinocchio have to be, too, to remain true to the genre. Fairy tales originated in a time when meeting wolves and bears in the woods was all too likely, and they weren't cute and anthropomorphic, either. And the original Grimm stories, unlike their sanitized modern retellings, carried the clear message that Awful Things happen to Naughty Children Who Don't Obey The Rules. The prize comment was someone complaining that a flying pirate ship over WWII London was unrealistic. So name some historical periods when it WAS realistic.

Overall it's a satisfying action story, and wholly undeserving of the scorn some reviewers have dumped on it. The weakest links are Garrett Hedlund as Hook (still a good guy at this point) and Rooney Mara as Tiger Lily. Hedlund tries to be Harrison Ford, complete with Indiana Jones' hat and Han Solo's flying off to save his own skin but coming back to save the day, but he just doesn't have charisma. Neither does Tiger Lily, who's pretty but bland, and goes through life with a deer in the headlights expression. They're both stiff and lifeless.
60 out of 104 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
There is much to enjoy in this film
wheatley-2023016 June 2018
The visuals are stunning. Hugh Jackman is just great, clearly relishing his role. His performance alone makes the film worth a watch. The story is capable of dragging you in. You have to forget your Peter Pan pre-conceptions and accept that this is different. Be prepared to go with the flow.
17 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent Family Movie.
CarlosEspagna30 September 2015
Pan is a 2015 British-American fantasy adventure film directed by Joe Wright and written by Jason Fuchs, and a prequel to Scottish author J. M. Barrie's Peter Pan story, first staged in 1904. It stars Hugh Jackman, Garrett Hedlund, Rooney Mara, and Levi Miller as the title character. It is an invented origin story depicting the origins of Peter Pan and Captain Hook. The film had its world premiere in London on September 20, 2015.

Plot Of The Movie: The story of an orphan named Peter Pan (Levi Miller) who is spirited away to the magical Neverland. There, he finds the fun and dangers in this world where he meets James Hook (Garrett Hedlund) and helps to fight the evil pirate Blackbeard (Hugh Jackman).

Truly an excellent family movie.
124 out of 240 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantastically stunning visual fantasy
JAB-1310 October 2015
Pan is the best movie I have seen in a while. Although it is based on the story of Peter Pan, the story is original. It tells the story of how Peter Pan came to be, a sort of back story. It is the tale of Peter in search of his mother whom he has never met. His search takes him from the ordinary world to the stunningly beautiful Neverland. The cast is great and do a great job. Hugh Jackman is not even recognizable as Blackbeard the pirate. Wow is Rooney Mara beautiful as Tiger Lily. The story flows very well and is worth seeing in 3D on the big screen. It is a very fun movie to watch and worth seeing a second time. Once again the critics are wrong.
67 out of 124 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cruising through gorgeous visual and beautiful shanties, but unfortunately also on shallow narrative
quincytheodore9 October 2015
Pan bears a lot of similarities to other adventure films, family animation and even role-playing games. It packs myriad of visual antics across the journey of self-discovery. However, it's also painfully one dimensional and predictable, using the "chosen one" plot to a fault. While it's admittedly aesthetically pleasing, this is not the innovative origin story it's advertised to be.

In a world tormented by pirates, one child must discover his destiny. You've seen this before. Some angles have been changed, but this is typical Peter's adventure to Neverland. It's so overused, one might find half the script in Final Fantasy games. Not to mention it's riddled with fantasy genre cliché and uninspiring romance subplot.

To their credit, the actors do a fine job. Hugh Jackman as Blackbeard is a good antagonist, he looks the part by carrying the character with ominous charisma, either it's by his flamboyant dialogues or even timely singing. He can appear funny yet still threatening. Well, as threatening as a villain in family flick can be.

While Blackbeard looks fit for Hook's replacement, Hook himself is played by Garrett Hedlund, who ironically tries too hard to be young Hugh Jackman. His delivery is forced to create a suave persona, but most of the times he just looks out of place. Levi Miller as Peter handles himself pretty well. The story focuses heavily on this boy's fate, and although he can seem rough at some scenes, he brings a commendable performance as the lead.

Graphical prowess plays important role, almost too much, and on its better parts Pan definitely has the stylish charm of fantasy vista. Setting is filled with colorful designs and details, although CGI takes the helm on most cases. Its soundtracks are splendid, it simply doesn't let go. From subtle chimes, loud symphony and even shanty version of popular songs, the audio is brilliant.

Pan would've been great if it didn't copy so many elements from other movies. In nearly every scene, there's a hint of Pirates of Caribbean, Mad Max and multitude of classic Disney flicks. The straightforward plot doesn't help either, it's tedious to see the predictable developments ahead. Ancient prophecies, letter from the past and hidden power manifestation are tired gimmicks. Please, you know he's gonna fly at some point.

For a movie that looks so appealing, Pan never really takes flight. One might find happy thoughts on the visual and songs, but the CGI charm and adventure gimmicks will not last through its boring plot.
54 out of 98 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Damn you Warner Bros for greenlighting this garbage.
just_in_case10 December 2015
When this was first announced they sold it as being different and man the tone of the early trailers just really made me feel like they were going to go deep and abstract. The trailer song made me shiver. My dumb ass thought it might even be something like "The adventures of Baron Munchausen" full of metaphors and abstractions like "What dreams may come". Like it was going tell a more emotional story about the relationship of the main actors.

Nope boring run of the mill peter pan adaptation with a couple characters swapped to claim uniqueness. Damn I just rewatched the first trailer and it totally sold me on a different story.

What makes matters worse is the world is very well designed and there's several hints at what could have been a really trippy adventure, but for some reason they went incredibly cheap on the CGI which in several spots is just unbearably bad.

The story doesn't really make any sense. "chosen one"? For what? and what exactly does he provide? He can control fairies? but the fairies were perfectly capable of throwing a couple pirates around. The relationship between Blackbeard and his mother was really dumb and illogical, there's so much more they could have done with that. In general it just felt crap and plodded along and then just rolled over at the end.

Man I'm just so angry. I would have killed to have Terry Gilliam to do this, or David fincher, Darren Aronofsky. It sucks because Hugh Jackman was wasted. Thats the one thing they got right. The design and portrayal of Blackbeard was cool, but his story was so Blasé. I liked the inclusion of modern music but instead of making it a theme with a story nope you get one cool song and then generic music for the rest of the film.(I know there was another one but it sucked)

Damn you Warner Bros for greenlighting this garbage.

Im giving this a 1/10 because of how insultingly wasteful they were with such a great idea. I've seen better execution of concepts like this out of 50k indie movies. When we talk about twist of fairy tale concepts I have to give the nod to Maleficent. Again the trailer was chilling and though the movie had innumerable flaws it was the mature emotional experience we were looking for. Guess now were just going to have to wait for the Fables trilogy they'll inevitably screw up.
64 out of 121 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved it!
tsel-310 October 2015
Look, I like Peter Pan. It's always been one of my favorite stories. I've got a super cute picture of me at Halloween of my kindergarten year in my award-winning "most original" Peter Pan costume. So while I realize that there's a lot of things that are problematic about the book, I still think there's incredible value in a story that suggest to children that viewing their own inevitable deaths as "an awfully big adventure."

If you are not a person who appreciates Peter Pan, don't go see the film. It's not like Hook, Robin Williams isn't there to charm you despite yourself.

Pan is a damn fine reimagining of the story you already love. It's visually stunning and occasionally bizarre, surreal like the best dreams. The soundtrack was great, and I liked the 3D effects, although I noticed my friend occasionally having some trouble with them.

I was pretty pleased with the acting. Levi Miller was engaging and believable. Rooney Mara was one bad-ass young lady. Hugh Jackman was his own insane pirate - not anyone else's. And Garrett Hedlund seemed aware that he was not Dustin Hoffman or Cyril Ritchard and took his character in a very different.

I was also pretty pleased with the way the movie handled the whole issue of "Indians!" Basically, they weren't presented as Indians at all, just a really interesting tribe of people. There were certainly cultural elements, but the visual was way more "raver" than anything else.

I feel like I should probably come up with some strong conclusion here, like the value of friendship, or whatever, but honestly, if you are a fan of the whole thing, you should go. If you aren't, you're a cynical jerk and I probably didn't like you anyway.

TLDR: Up yours, hater critics.
52 out of 99 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Exceptional Pre-qual
laddious12 October 2015
This is an excellent movie for the family. They truly did an outstanding job creating a fresh way to present Peter Pan. This movie is a prequel that I feel definitely did an outstanding job filling in the questions we have about the loved character Peter Pan. The visual effects and design were amazing, in my opinion the movie looked as good as Avatar.

The Movie was fun for everyone. It was adult enough in ways to keep parents from passing out and drooling on themselves; and light hearted enough to keep from being to violent to take your children to watch. They had an excellent idea for the fight scenes that I feel most of everyone will enjoy.
74 out of 146 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The best Pan i had ever seen in my life,Hugh Jackman outstanding
hanis-926198 October 2015
Went to this movie without knowing Hugh Jackman was the black-beard.The best Pan i had ever seen in my life,Hugh Jackman outstanding!.Great movie and must watch.i hope there will be any sequel.

Living a bleak existence at a London orphanage, 12-year-old Peter (Levi Miller) finds himself whisked away to the fantastical world of Neverland. Adventure awaits as he meets new friend James Hook (Garrett Hedlund) and the warrior Tiger Lily (Rooney Mara). They must band together to save Neverland from the ruthless pirate Blackbeard (Hugh Jackman). Along the way, the rebellious and mischievous boy discovers his true destiny, becoming the hero forever known as Peter Pan.
72 out of 142 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best Peter Pan Movie
angiewinslett11 October 2015
I really, really liked it. It was so refreshing and well produced. Tiger Lily shouldn't be Rooney Mara, I agree, but somehow she made me forget that the princess is a Native girl. I think Rooney did an amazing job and I understand her emotionless face as the way Tiger Lily found to look tough.

Garrett was also brilliant and I think the script brought a happier Hook and yeah it was off character, but I think it made the movie lighter. I really like the fact that Hook and Pan were friends. It's a cool new view of their relationship.

Hugh Jackman was just fantastic in his role. I didn't even recognize him and it was a surprise read his name in the credits. He made such a good villain, the kind you love-hate because he's mean as hell, but also funny and smart. It was one of the best part of the movie, no doubts.

Levi Miller is a really good actor and who doesn't agree, didn't watch a lot of movies with kids as the star. It's hard to find kids that don't look too forced or too young to be acting. He's in a spotlight along with Dakota Fanning, Abigail Breslin and Freddie Highmore.

Miller's Pan was so likable that I just want to pinch his cheeks forever. I loved how the character was growing alongside with the movie and in the end, the cheeky Pan was so amazing to see and hear. I really loved Levi acting and I think he's gonna be huge!

Smee was so so good that I don't have words. It's like he jumped out of the book right into the movie. Really loved Adeel Akhtar.

The effects were amazing just as the rest of the movie. The photography was perfect. The colors, the scenarios, everything.

The soundtrack was really good to listen and I think it worked really well in the movie. The script was really well developed and I really wish there was a book about this version of the story.

People who didn't like the movie must be one of those people who can't stand movies that isn't about deep thoughts and philosophy. I think Pan is a movie really cute and well done. Good acting, good script, good timing.

I really want to watch more movies like this in the next years.

Amazing.
55 out of 106 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Close, but no pan flute
undeadbovine28 September 2015
Pan has all the foundation to make a fantastic prequel for the Peter Pan story, sadly the foundation doesn't have much on it and what's there is shaky.

The main issue I had with this film is that it seemed like it couldn't make up it's mind on whether it wanted to cater to children with goofy and antic like behavior from the characters, or offer up serious and gritty story telling for the adults. It flip flops from one to the other from scene to scene and it's very noticeable. The incredibly cringe-worthy use of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" in the Neverland introduction scene represents my point the best.

I wondered all throughout the movie why they had given James Hook an American Accent, I have seen other reviews say that it seemed like the Director/Writer wanted Garret Hedlund to channel some Indiana Jones for this role. They are right, but I am baffled as to why the Production wanted him too. It makes no sense for what we know he will eventually become.

This movie isn't ALL bad, however. Levi Miller as Pan is a lot better than I ever expected him to be, the kid has some talent and it's going to be interesting to see how he develops as an actor if he sticks with it. Rooney Mara puts in a great effort as Tiger Lily too. Hugh Jackman tries REALLY hard to lift this movie. He is easily the top performance with his Blackbeard and it was easy to see that he enjoyed the freedom of the character. In fact, they should get Jackman to play Hook in the next movie. He'd be brilliant.

Shout out to Adeel Akhtar as Mr. Smee. Outside of Jackman he gets the most laughs in the film and was a great casting choice.

If you have kids then take them to see it, they will like it but be prepared because you probably won't.
29 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing movie!! Don't listen to the critics!!!
pitbull_z2810 October 2015
Absolutely fantastic movie, DO NOT READ THE NEGATIVE REVIEWS, COMPLETE LIES!!!!! I'm so glad I didn't read them before watching this movie, what a sin critics are unfairly slamming this masterpiece, they'll eat crow once audiences have a chance to see it for themselves. After watching it, I was so moved that I wanted to read all the rave reviews online, only to be irked by the negativity surrounding this beautiful epic. I am so annoyed that you are reading my first review ever posted on here. This story is so cool, I've always wondered about how Peter Pan came to be, and the storyline is truly magical. Bravo to the writers who completely nailed it! And the kid who plays Peter was absolutely PHENOMENAL, where did they find him? What a talent. Rooney Mara was the perfect Tiger Lily. I will say the only "meh" thing was a CERTAIN actor's campy accent (you'll know exactly who I'm talking about once he appears, I don't want to ruin it) but it's not THAT big a deal and it kind of grows on you as the movie progresses. Other than that, this movie is completely EPIC!! Hands down one of the best children's movies made in decades..my kids were blown away. Shame on the people bashing it - my guess is there must some hidden Hollywood agenda going on here because this movie rocks! Go see it with your kids, you will all be in tears!!!
76 out of 153 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Kind of a disappointment
daviddevilliers5429 January 2016
I have always loved Peter Pan. I loved every single story told about him and watched every movie involving him including Once Upon A Time with Hook and Pan but when I saw this movie I was like "What the hell IS this? Where is the ACTUAL plot? There is just too many questions left unanswered. I am so disappointed because of this. If they are going to make a sequel, AT LEAST leave answers this time and just follow the original plot.

Pan is a 2015 American 3D fantasy action-adventure family film directed by Joe Wright. The film is a prequel to Scottish author J. M. Barrie's Peter Pan story, first staged in 1904. It serves as an alternative origin story for Peter Pan and Captain Hook.

The story is basically about Peter, abandoned as an orphan, who gets kidnapped by Blackbeard to mine for Pixie Dust so that Blackbeard can live eternal youth. Blackbeard is also at war with the Red Indians and a rebellion is taking place. It also shows the friendship Pan and Hook had before they lead to what they are destined to be.
16 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well, this happened...
TinkerLily17 October 2015
Sassy British descendant of Time Lord Cosette and Thumbelina's Prince Cornelius is orphaned with his flute necklace and surrounded by ninja-kicking nuns who sell children on the black market. After being abducted by Jean Valjean the Nirvana-loving dictator, he befriends Indiana Jones, who falls in love with Emily Blunt's Native American alter ego. He is then saved from flying crocodiles by the Cara Delevingne mermaid quadruplets (with glowing Rapunzel hair) who live in a sea of memories. He proceeds to discover he has the force, pixie-edition, and saves Atlantis the lost fairy-kingdom empire, adopting the title of "The Chosen One". And after all of this, we still don't find out what caused the proverbial bad blood between Peter Flute and Captain Indiana Hook. So there's that.

Despite all of this (or maybe because of it), I actually did enjoy the movie quite a bit. Even if the singing of Smells Like Teen Spirit left me confused and thinking of Moulin Rouge.
29 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wonderful Family Movie That Even Adults Can Enjoy
bellagoestothemovies9 October 2015
When Mom and I decided to go to the movies last night I thought we might to go "The Walk". Instead we saw "Pan". To get me ready we watched "Hook", and few other earlier "Peter Pan" movies. I didn't understand why they needed to make a new one but this story was different. The other "Peter Pan" movies deal with The Darling family. This one featured Peter.

The movie started out with Peter as a baby then moved into his transition of becoming an enchanted boy who could fly. Usually the bad guy in these movies was "Captain Hook" but in this movie Garrett Hedlund played Hook and trust me he was not bad at all. Rooney Mara was great as "Tiger Lilly." Hugh Jackman played "Blackbeard". I am not used to seeing him looking that ugly but he was good. Levi Miller did a great job as "Peter Pan". When you see these movies you don't realized that the actors are not reacting to anything initially. All of the creatures are put in later.

THe special effects were beautiful. I loved all of the fairies. I also loved how the movie moved from an cold, sad London of WW2 to Neverland. It was great.

This movie is rated PG and has a good story so if you want to take your family out for a cinematic treat this weekend. I think "Pan" would be a good choice!
42 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Lotta Hard Work, Which Pays Off Something Amazing on This Earth
ChristinaBarrett-USA19869 October 2015
Spoilers: I mention the 1960 Peter Pan, Barney's Christmas, the Chronicles of Narnia, the Oz Books, Alice in Wonderland, and Harry Potter.

This movie tells me movies are getting better and better, and I like movies of this dynamic.

What drew me in was Tiger Lily and probably Blackbeard. Peter was such a good actor and such a sweet boy. He actually began to look like Peter Pan, which reminds me of the 1960 version with the lady playing Peter. I remember Wendy was good in that one, too. I used to watch it at my aunt's and have seen it at school a few times for music. I also used to watch Barney's Christmas, which reminds me of that version of Peter Pan; I actually loved Barney until kids in school said it wasn't cool again and I finally seemed older.

My favorite was after I came back from the bathroom (had to go twice tho it was so short) and saw Blackbeard together with Sam Smiegel. The dynamic of their acting was so good. I 1st connected with the character of Sam Smiegel. Then, I grew to find Blackbeard acted well, except of course that he killed Peter Pan's mother. If he didn't murder, I'd like him. I liked him as an actor. I figure they dumped his character as a murderer and made him a warrior. His mother was an innocent maiden or something. It's sad to say I liked Blackbeard and Sam Smiegel over all the others.

Tiger Lily made this movie.. a movie. She is so beautiful and sound. She is an excellent actress. She was flawless and the best. She is a beautiful young girl. She's a wonderful budding actress. As a person, I think she is very kind, good, and cool, very deserving. I'd like to see her now next to other stars, like Chloe Grace Moretz, Bella Thorne, and the girls from Pitch Perfect 2. I don't know what would happen if she acted for Tim Burton, but he sounds like a tough director, maybe wants actors to be more independent to let their creativity out and make creative choices.

I rate this a 10/10. It contributed so much intelligence to the world with the cool acting. I really truly like it and hope others found themselves in it, too, and look forward to more movies as good as this in certain ways.

I read a review that said it didn't really cover much fantasy, and I'm beginning to think a lot of people agreed. Fantasies like the Chronicles of Narnia, the Oz Books, Alice in Wonderland, and Harry Potter provide more magical ideas. It's hard to say I'd watch this again on my own, Pan, tho I loved it so much. I go to the movies about every week, tho. I'm sure you could really get into this. You'd have to do a lotta work if no one else is as into it, like posting on the board. A lotta people were fans of things like Pirates of the Caribbean and Star Wars.

..I used to do this for Sweeney Todd, watch it a lot. It's a lotta work to make a movie, a good movie. I was hoping for more things like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, like from Tim Burton since he does so much and you should always be moving up, knocking all the pins down, eventually, and getting there. I don't know who'd argue this popular belief that supposedly everyone loves. So, Pan is a good new classic work of art.
46 out of 93 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of those untold origin stories that should have been left untold
TheLittleSongbird12 June 2016
To get one thing straight, there is no pleasure taken panning this film. Being someone who has liked some of Joe Wright's previous work (especially 'Pride and Prejudice', 'Atonement' and 'Hanna'), who likes Hugh Jackman and adores the source material that 'Pan takes inspiration from.

Although it is not a film without redeeming merits, 'Pan' was hugely disappointing. It starts promisingly but then stumbles downhill once we get to Neverland and apart from the odd bright spot doesn't properly get back up again. As an origin story inspired by J.M. Barrie's magnificent story with its complex themes and rich characters, to say that it disrespects the source material is being kind to the word disrespect. But it is very underwhelming on its own merits too, while 'Anna Karenina' didn't do much for me 'Pan' is the one time where Joe Wright has come close to hitting rock bottom.

'Pan' starts off really promisingly, with a real sense of threat and false security. A lot of effort went into the production values, and there are frequent points where it does show, especially in the visually dazzling scene where the children are stolen, the whole film is exquisitely photographed, the set design is very colourful and eye-poppingly vivid with a wondrous-looking Neverland and lavish costumes apart from the ridiculously gaudy ones for the Indians. The incidental score has the right amount of whimsy and rousing energy. There is one good performance, that of Hugh Jackman who is clearly enjoying himself with glee as campy, energetic but sinister Blackbeard.

Not all the visuals work. There are so many special effects that it does start feeling too much and making the spectacle take over the story. Apart from the ships, the scene where the children are stolen and to a lesser extent the translucent mermaids, the effects are less than special, very amateurish-looking digital doubles, skeleton birds that look worse than a low budget video game from 15-20 years ago and very over-sized crocodiles that make them seem more goofy than threatening. Equally, there is a lot of spectacle, but they are very mixed when it comes to execution. Sometimes the spectacle dazzles, but at other times they're little more than nauseating kitsch. It does seem that all Wright's efforts went into the visuals and spectacle but he completely forgets telling a story and making the characters interesting, for Wright this is pretty inept.

Apart from Jackman, the rest of the cast struggle. Well actually Nonso Anoozie is pretty good, just that his screen time isn't enough to shine. Amanda Seyfried is suitably compassionate, but again very little to do. Levi Miller does do his best as Peter, he's suitably perky, has charisma and is cute as a button, but his character doesn't ever really go anywhere and he doesn't give as much charm and emotion as he should have done, Peter's trademark mischievous side is more cocky and desperate. Garrett Hedlund overacts dreadfully as a wannabe Indianna Jones/Han Solo and Brendan Fraser-esque-hero sort of Hook, constantly speaking in a way that seems to impersonate James Stewart and John Huston and very poorly, that he becomes very annoying with no foreshadowing whatsoever of the dark and complex character Hook as we know him would become. In a controversial piece of casting, Rooney Mara looks completely bored and miserable. Cara Delevigne is a pretty pallid presence though is disadvantaged by throwaway writing, and Adeel Akhtar gives a performance so stereotypical it might cause offence. None of the characters are interesting or colourful enough, although Jackman gives it everything even he can't disguise that Blackbeard's motivations and such are paper thin.

On top of the spectacle, 'Pan' also includes musical numbers. These musical numbers manage to be even more memorable than the incidental score, and that is not a good thing. Although spiritedly performed, they are not only jarringly anachronistic in style, but they are also out of place, too randomly thrown in and almost like Wright was trying to be a wannabe Baz Luhrmann, which doesn't suit Wright at all (was taken right out of the film once the characters started singing Nirvana). The script is also prone to anachronisms and often sounds completely stupid and too heavy in the cheese and schmaltz factor. There isn't really much of a story, and what there is of it is executed poorly with very little new to say, most of it not even trying to make sense to the point of being incomprehensible. There are some good ideas here but they are badly rushed through, the whole children as slaves idea was the one strand that was properly elaborated upon and had some emotional impact of some kind. Consequently, the whole point of the story is completely lost in translation, and not only was the whole Peter and Hook as friends poorly developed, plus they didn't seem believable as friends (Peter seemed as annoyed with Hook as much as those watching the film were), but there is next to no foreshadowing of them as enemies either which would have made Hook much more interesting. Most of the story is basically an excuse to include as many set pieces and musical numbers as possible, regardless of whether they were important and of good-quality or not.

Overall, a big disappointment. A few good things here and there, but this "untold" story should have stayed untold. 3/10 Bethany Cox
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fab adventure from start to finish
randallfish8 October 2015
We (1 adult + 3 x 12 year olds) absolutely loved this. Let me start by saying I am a fan of The Pan, and so was worried before seeing this that it would not come up to scratch. So we were lucky enough to win tickets of the preview, and I have to say I loved it. It was a film full of adventure and goes along at a cracking pace. There is not much back story or character development but the Pan universe is not supposed to be "Tolkien Deep". There is enough reference to JM Barrie's classic play and the iconic lines that we all know and love. The casting was good, the portrayal of the iconic characters was excellent. Ignore the negative reviews, leave the grumpy adult at the door and enjoy.

NB: we saw this in 3D , and it was exceptionally good use of 3D visuals, I've seen a lot of 3D films (have 3D TV setup at home too) and rate this very highly for effects, I actually jumped/ducked on quite a few occasions!
41 out of 84 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No Wendy!
danaalbasha15 October 2015
Brace yourself to be blown away! But prepare yourself: it's a Joe Wright movie, so it's so different and perfectly magical, it will change your previous knowledge of who Pan truly is.

If you are going to watch this movie you must know it's not a remake of Peter Pan, this is a story about who Peter Pan actually is, how he became "the Boy Who Wouldn't Grow Up" and how Hook became Captain Hook and who princess Tiger Lily is.

It's amazingly beautiful and the soundtrack is phenomenal! My husband and I absolutely loved it.

All I want by this point is part 2! I want Joe's version of how Wendy Darling enters the story.
38 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.