Cult of Chucky (2017) Poster

Exhausted Franchise
Claudio Carvalho3 June 2018
Thirty years ago it was released "Child's Play" with the cult Chucky, a killer doll possessed by the soul of a serial killer. The sequels are watchable downfalls of the original movie, but unfortunately "The Curse of Chucky" was a breath to the franchise. However "Cult of Chucky" shows that the franchise is completely exhausted, with a boring and stupid story. The worst: the ending is a cliffhanger for another sequel. My vote is four.

Title (Brazil): "O Culto de Chucky" ("The Cult of Chucky")
9 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hard crowd to please
weemonk27 September 2017
Wow. A lot of people seem hard to please on here. Most series are struggling by the 7th entry (7 stars appropriate) having ruined continuity, rehashed the same formula seen before or by having lost original cast members. A Nightmare on Elm Street had to switch it up to 'it's a movie but not', Halloween had to bring JLC back, Saw was calling it a day, Hellraiser was already screwed and Friday the 13th gave the heroine telekinetic powers to spice things up. It's damn hard to keep a series going and adding new ideas.

I thought this entry had a lot going for it. Whilst only glimpsed post credits in Curse, Cult sees Andy Barclay back and all grown up since the first 2 entries and also with the original actor, Alex Vincent. Thanks to his childhood run-ins with Chucky, Andy is pretty bad ass taking no crap and is out to to stop him (much alike Tommy in Friday the 13th Part 6 which was a bloody good entry).

One reviewer said this was cheap in production. This is what I thought of Curse, of which after 2 attempts of watching it, 4 years later (thanks to Cult) I revisited that film and watched it ignoring the lesser production budget. I was maybe a bit harsh. Cult employs animatronics over CGI at every turn apart from one shot that I could see of. I much more prefer this as animatronics still work the best for this character even in this modern CGI world.

The kills are a throwback to some other films but overall are fantastic for gore with one drill scene which would have had the censors in uproar a couple of decades ago.

I love the continuity for this film as everything in previous entries is in place and hasn't been changed with many a nod to earlier entries. For fans of the series this does show the love Mr Mancini has when writing these later entries. Add to this all the familiar cast are back including Fiona Dourif who turns out to be an excellent piece of casting (being the real life daughter of we know who) when 'expanding' her role later in the film (I'll not give anything away on that).

Lastly, people seem divided on the humour in the series. I personally enjoy it. This entry has the humour lacking from Curse which I found a bit bland without it. This entry has enough without being too OTT like Bride or Seed. It's probably my favourite entry and a while since I've seen it but i recall CP2 having some dark humour so stop moaning those who don't like it.

Overall the entry managed to breath some new life to the series with a new concept that could prove interesting if used minimally (again not saying more)....we are on entry 7 but it ain't telekinesis! The series has moved away from cinema release so the budget is never going to be what it used to be. This can be seen now and then but thankfully not when it comes to the FX for Chucky.

Child's Play/Chucky films are what they are - about a murderous doll who kills people. They are watched by fans who know what they are getting. I look forward to entry 8 and seeing where things go. Make sure you watch after the credits!
42 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
'Cult of Chucky' FrightFest Premiere Review: A Good Guy Fun Ride!'
jameswdevine25 August 2017
Back at the start of July I managed to secure tickets to the opening day of FrightFest 2017. As soon as I heard Cult of Chucky was going to be having its World Premiere there, I jumped at the chance and paid money for a day pass… even though this was the only movie on Thursday that I REALLY needed to see. Like hell was I risking the single tickets not being available and me missing the chance to see Chucky back on the big screen.

The Positive

Like all of the Chucky films, Brad Dourif is an absolute delight as the voice of our favourite killer doll. I really felt that the events that transpired in the movie aided in showing how much passion Mr. Dourif still has for voicing the character and the range he has as a voice actor. I'll keep my praise in the family and say that I was a huge fan of Fiona Dourif as the returning character Nica, who has some VERY interesting character development throughout the movie whilst coming to terms with her actions in Curse of Chucky and facing Chucky once more.

Unlike most sequels that seem to throw continuity out, this movie does great job at throwing back to the previous entries in the franchise in subtle, yet fun, ways! (there may even be a cameo or two).

One thing I was extremely happy about was the amount of gore and practical effects used in the movie. There is no noticeable CGI Chucky like the one in Curse and it looked like the majority of the Chucky doll scenes were done using animatronics and puppetry.

The gore in the movie is on point and not overused to the point of overkill. I mean, don't get me wrong, there are some pretty brutal kill scenes, but not gallon upon gallon of blood split and spraying all over the place.

Don Mancini was so passionate about the franchise he built when he was doing the Q&A and urged the fans in the room to go out and support this one so that they can continue telling the story we were left with at the end, although I won't be divulging that information until October.

The Negative

My main gripe with the movie is that it felt lacking in the plot department. A lot of new concepts were introduced but with little explanation, although Don did say these would be addressed in a future installment if this one performs with the fans.

Fans of Bride and Seed will be happy to know that Chucky is at his witty best, but I know that a lot of fans take issue with the mixture of both humour and horror. Although the effects were great, there were still one or two set pieces that looked a little off but I can appreciate that this is a low budget affair when you compare it to current Hollywood horror movies.

It is a solid entry in a franchise that is already six installments strong and it also manages to breathe new life into what most may think is a tired concept. I firmly believe both fans of the original Child's Play series and Bride, Seed, and Curse of Chucky will be very happy at what is on display in this installment and will be begging for another one come closing credits.
36 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Warning: this is complete garbage!!!
tstudstrup2 October 2017
A movie that angered me from the beginning.

Especially the Asian bitch of a patient that looks like an ugly pig and talks trash to Nica from the beginning. I wanted her dead from her very first scene in the movie.

So they brought Andy back. Even played by the same actor that played him in the two first movies. But he is wasted here. Just like everybody else.

Nothing in this movie works. They say they wanted to get back to the horror. This is not horror, nor is it comedy. Its just boring and weird. The insane asylum looks like a night club, the doctor that sexually abuses Nica is a cliché and so is his hair and his beard. The patients there are also cliché and its completely ridiculous that people that hallucinate and have split personalities would be in a minimum security mental hospital. One of them gets a Good Guy doll and treats it like a baby. And the doctor and the nurse and the orderly (guess the limited budget didn't allow for a bigger staff/cast) encourage that she treats it like a baby. She even breastfeeds it. I kid you not!!

As for Nica, she has sex with one of the other patients and the staff just allow that.

They swear a lot and there are gory deaths just because they can do it. I normally don't mind that, but here its just retarded. I feel like Im watching a movie made by a 12 year old boy, who somehow has gotten money to make a splatter movie.

This time around Chucky can transfer his soul into more than doll at a time, which is beyond retarded and a really dumb idea.

Once again Fiona Dourif, daughter of actor Brad Dourif (Charles Lee Ray in Childs Play and the voice of Chucky) plays the lead as Nica, locked up for the murders, Chucky committed in the last forgettable movie. She is a talented and very pretty actress, who has clearly inherited her fathers acting skills, but like her father, she is wasting her talent on this z-movie crap.

By the way if Chucky can now transfer his soul into anyone, why not transfer it into Andy? That would be the ultimate revenge.

The dolls themselves look more fake than ever. They should just make them cgi, so they would move around more naturally.

Despite this movie made for VOD, streaming, blu-ray etc, it seems to have a decent budget. They had a chance to end this properly and kill Chucky once and for all. But they wasted it.

This movie made me feel like taking a shower, because it reeks of sh*t!!!

I don't know why movies like these get green lighted, but I guess there is always a n audience dumb enough to enjoy these movies.

Only the original Childs Play, really worked as a horror movie. Each sequel in this turd of a franchise, is even worse than its predecessor.

Avoid this!!!!
16 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Reunited after thirty years
Shilo24 September 2017
It was really a pleasure to see Alex Vincent back as Andy Barcely after almost thirty years when he was a little boy in "Child's Play." Don Mancini seems to have a whole carnival planned out for this horror franchise that has become quite popular since debuting back in the late 80's, about a killer doll named Chucky. Don Mancini's latest incarnation "Cult of Chucky" is about as batshit crazy as you can imagine but the question is, for being a seventh sequel in the franchise, is it good?

It's about, Nica Pierce (Fiona Dourif) who is convinced she is responsible for the murders, not Chucky, that happened to her family four years before. Since the murders, she has been locked up in an insane asylum. When strange occurrences begin happening at the asylum, Nica starts to believe that maybe she is not crazy after all. Chucky soon shows up at the asylum and begins looking for Nica. Meanwhile, Andy Barclay (Alex Vincent) believes Nica's innocence because of his past with the killer doll and when he discovers she is in trouble, he races to the asylum to save her.

After "Curse of Chucky" brought the franchise back to its horror roots and was surprisingly good, it set the bar high for a sequel to continue the story of Nica, the wheelchair-bound woman who learned her family's dark secret when Chucky gave us an exciting revelation that we had been waiting 25 years to learn. So, what can we expect from "Cult of Chucky?" It is no surprise that the return of Andy Barcely is the big lead-up to the movie. The last time we saw Andy was back in 1988 when he received Chucky as a birthday gift from his mom, who was unaware that the doll was possessed by a recently gunned down serial killer. Alex Vincent made a cameo appearance as Andy at the end credits of "Curse of Chucky," signaling his return and prompting us all to gasp in delight. Someone appears after the end credits of this picture too but who could it be? I get the feeling I know what Don Mancini is trying to accomplish here.

Andy hasn't had much luck since everyone seems to know about his dark past involving the killer doll. He lives in an isolated cabin and keeps a secret hidden in a wall safe. The secret serves as some the comedy of the film. Andy watches a video of him attempting to convince Nica's sleazy doctor by shooting the secret with a paintball gun and making it shriek. Of course, no one believes him...again. See how I am giving hints and making you wonder? That is what this whole film does until the revelation at the end and it can be really frustrating when you're wondering what is going on and who-is-who. However, it might be frustrating but does effectively keep you on the edge. At one point, Nica watches an unstable patent out a window take one of the dolls outside to a snowy graveyard and his face shifts evil and gives her the finger. This makes you wonder what is going on but more so what is Chucky's sinister plan?

When Chucky is brought to the asylum by a mysterious person who is just a loony and sinister woman, not to mention she should be in the asylum, he awakens and goes looking for Nica. Now, what they have done with Chucky is amazing. There is a long shot of Chucky walking towards the camera and the focus fades in on him as he gets closer. He walks, talks and acts like a human and this is incredible for a doll that is not CGI but an actual puppet. This is something they have always gotten right and this time, it really is something to watch. Just after that scene, one of the crazies in the hospital comes out of her room and sees Chucky and attempts to tell him that he is not real. She ends up annoying him and he calls her a "F**king cuckoos nest" and takes off. He hasn't lost his charm.

It is really hard to go into detail without spoiling the film because there are twists and turns, especially as things escalate towards the finale. Actually, I was really surprised at the finale. I was thinking someone else but it turned out to be the one person I never thought it would be. It is very much like "Curse of Chucky." Someone is left to take the fall for the murders at the asylum much like Nica took the fall for the murders in the house, but who is left in the asylum? See, those hints again. Chucky descends upon the staff of the hospital with whatever he can get her plastic hands on. I don't think he has ever used a power drill before but he has one now and it's gruesome. A lot of the patients are useless and are just there for Chucky to attack.

Don Mancini has created another interesting entry in the franchise and there is plenty on offer here for the fans. I would say that whatever Don has planned for the next installment will be more interesting as this one is very much a build up with a lot going on. After the two revelations at the end, one I don't know what to think because I suppose the loss of innocence plays a part in it and another that breaks new ground and is interesting but I am not sure how Don will play it out. He sets this one up to make you really want to see what happens next and on that note, the film works and is a clever addition to the franchise. I just hope we get to see more than a few scenes with Andy the next time around.
13 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Welcome to the Dollhouse cult at Frightfest brought straight to you
KillerRomance25 August 2017
This is the seventh instalment of the Child's play Franchise, which I am lucky to be at the eighteenth Frightfest film festival. This is my first time and I had a dream come true to see a Chucky movie premiere. If you think Curse of Chucky is good, Cult of Chucky is even better, and here is why with major spoilers.

It's been four years since the Pierce family were murdered. Andy Barclay (Vincent) has a date with Rachel in a swanky restaurant as they both drank white wine. Rachel probed further as Andy explained Aunt Maggie's demise, she finds it too overwhelming and leaves Andy abandoned at the restaurant. Andy Barclay morose about his life situation came home in his cabin with hunted game trophies hung on the wall and armoury, nothing but beer stack in the fridge. Opens a security safe and the blasted head of Chucky from the last movie begins to tease and sneers at Andy, so with a blowtorch Chucky gets some torture but remained alive. Barclay vows to find Nica Pierce.

Nica is moving from Lockmore hospital to a less security psychiatric ward called Harrogate psychiatric hospital when she meets Claire, Multiple Malcolm and others. As Nica was settling in with a brief affair with Malcolm, then Tiffany Valentine (Jennifer Tilly) as Alice's legal Guardian brings tragic news to Nica that made her weep, as she comes to terms with her great loss, a Chucky doll is brought into therapy session, one patient accepts the doll as her child, Nica explained in realisation that the woman who visited her was Charles Lee Ray's Girlfriend and Chucky "serial killer in the eighties who murdered twenty-two people" during his human years, of course nobody believes her, Dr Foley claimed about 20 percent of good guy dolls are called Chucky and her delusions are perpetual, and to prove it, he burns Chucky's hand. Clare storms off with the doll to dispose as he bit her arm, she alerts people but they lock her up, and she dies.

Nica was on the verge of committing suicide when Chucky wrote in blood "not so fast" and the older patient died next morning wrote in blood "Chucky did it" which put the blame on Nica. Another good guy doll called Chucky arrived by post, then Andy tracks the Harrogate psychiatric hospital to bring a short haired Good Guy doll from his safe keeping, and there is a multiple Chucky tag team of dolls. There is a crazy twist to the ending to explain Andy was tricked into a psychiatric padded room, and Charles Lee Ray won through the battle and finally turns human in a human being of an unsuspected person as the awaiting Tiffany Valentine gave a passionate Kiss as they drove off to oblivion. Then a nemesis sent by Andy's request from Chucky's past comes to torture the talking severed doll's head (from curse of Chucky) to get answers which makes way for another sequel.

This opens up Child's play Eight in four years time.

I love it! Like a puzzle and good pacing with some comedy including twists and turns. Nica starts walking and it is up to you as viewers to find out why, and many surprises galore to where that came from. I recommend this movie. It is even better than curse of Chucky, it is surreal and dream like, Chucky becomes powerful than ever, lighting and photography is well presented. A bit of thought had gone into it but I do love psychological mystery Horror anyway. I don't have to elucidate, Go see it much highly recommended.
18 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The bad Chucky is back
pedroquintaoo25 September 2017
The first 2 Child's Play movies were good and then it only received bad films, until 2013 when The Curse of Chucky gave some life to the franchise.

I was with high expectations because I liked the previous film, however The Cult of Chucky is really bad like The Seed of Chucky (or even worse). The story is a mess, stupid and boring, the kills are bad and the characters are just uninteresting. However this installment has some good jokes and tries to give some life to this franchise,and the characters of Fiona Dourif and Alex Vincent are fine.

In my opinion this movie should start with what we've seen during the ending, that would open an opportunity for a good and interesting story.

If there will be a sequel, I hope will be different, more violent, funny without being ridiculous and with good characters.

Chucky is back, but we have seen him in better days.

Rating: 3.5/10
24 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Trash, this movie is destined for the dollar bin and that is still asking too much!
bkmetsfan6 October 2017
May contain slight spoilers but ending will not be talked about. This movie is trash and i will happily explain why. First and foremost, the majority of the movie, you will be scratching your head, thinking, what is going on? does Andy have Chucky imprisoned? is Chucky already in the DR's office or is Chucky dropped off when Jennifer Tilly makes an appearance. Take everything that you remember from the first six movies, any and all rules to the voodoo magic that gave Charles Lee Ray life in a doll and toss them in the trash because that is what they did when they made this movie. And they cheaply tried to explain it, towards the end of the movies, in a minute and failed. This movie has gore but the cheap kind of gore. The kind of gore that is supposed to make up for crappy writing with no direction. This movie wants to be scary and it fails. Jennifer Tilly is a hell of an actress do not know why she bothered with this movie, same for Alex Vincent. What a way to stick your middle finger at the loyal fans who appreciated the simplicity of Chucky. I even felt the curse of Chucky was worth a one time watch. This trash is an insult and i wont be watching any more trash that they force out. Garbage of a movie, you have been warned.
11 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well....um....it's Better Than Seed of Chucky
Jacob Thompson25 September 2017
I wish I could say I was disappointed, but let's be honest. With the exception of Child's Play and Curse of Chucky, the Chucky films have been varying levels of suck. And while I can't say it's anywhere near as bad as some of the other ones, it's still not really that good per se.

-Most of the acting was pretty bland except for Fiona Douriff, Alex Vincent, and of course Brad Douriff who's always fun to watch as Chucky.

-Kind of like Curse of Chucky, the only memorable and/or interesting characters were Nicca and Chucky.

-It is refreshing to see Alex Vincent reprise his role as Andy Barclay after his last major appearance in Child's Play 2, but if you've seen the film, you'd know that it's also beyond disappointing considering how he never plays much of a role in the plot. Fan service? Perhaps.

-The story was extremely repetitive. Most of the movie consists of this: Chucky kills someone, Nicca claims that it was Chucky's fault, nobody believes her. Rinse, lather, and repeat for three fourths of the movie. In the film's final act, it does get a little interesting when it's revealed that Chucky has learned how to transfer his soul into multiple bodies at once. But then that ends before it can get fully utilized.

-There's a disturbing lack of extras. That may not sound like an actual criticism to you, but hear me out. The entire film takes place inside of a mental institution, yet the only patients we see are the supporting and main characters, one psychiatrist, and two orderlies. We never see any other staff members or patients besides them and it really made me question if this was just the most understaffed and underutilized mental institution in the world. Chances are the low budget didn't allow for a huge cast. Curse of Chucky had an advantage in that regard considering how most of the film took place in a house and most of the characters consisted of the main character's family. So extras weren't really needed anyway. But if you're setting your film in a big facility, do you really expect me to buy that the staff only consists of three people? Others may not agree and might say I'm nitpicking, but it was very distracting.

All in all, it's not very good. It's nowhere near as bad as say Child's Play 3 or Seed of Chucky, but it's far from the pleasant surprise that Curse of Chucky was. You might enjoy it if you're a die hard Chucky fan, but if you're not, well then I can't help you.
10 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Movie Review: Cult of Chucky (2017)
Brandon Stephens3 October 2017
Let me start off by saying that the "Chucky" craze has been around for a long time, "Chucky" has gone through several changes over the years a lot like "Fred Krueger". They both started out as terrifying entities but over time sorta turned into demented blood crazed comedians, but throughout they always had their saving grace as horror icons. That being said, Child's Play 1-3 created a stone cold killer made from plastic, after the original trilogy he became a somewhat parody of himself...until now.

Cult of Chucky returns our favourite killer doll back to his darker roots but still embedded within is the dark humour that us horror fans smile at amidst all his gory glory.

The film opens up with fan favourite (Alex Vincent) as Andy Barclay, who was seen in the end credits of Curse who is now a mature young man still fighting with his daemons. Whilst on a date played by beautiful (Allison Dawn Doiron), things escalate and send us to a brief but fantastically twisted opener. The first eight minutes of this film is one of the best opening sequences since the original classic film.

Once the credits start we fans see a beautifully edited montage of footage from all the 'Child's Play' films that we all grew up with which lead us into the mind's eye of one of the sole survivors of 'Curse' Nica Pierce (played by Fiona Dourif, daughter of "Chucky"). We find her now institutionalized and trying to come to terms with the murders with the help Dr. Foley, (played by Michael Therriault) who convinced she is improving sends her to a minimum security ward which entails a unholy reunion with everybody's favourite serial killer. Still somewhat convinced she was more involved with the murders than "Chucky" she still fights these doubts as the killings start back up again with the arrival of a therapeutic Good Guy Doll.

The visuals are beautifully shot, as is the tension. There are also some nicely placed cameos therein which add to the storyline, more than just fan candy. The death scenes contain some nice throwbacks to some of the brutality of the original films as well as adding some gratuitous gore of the gorehounds that are fans of the series.

There have been mixed reviews mainly due to the change of Good Guy Mythos. These mythos are explained as the film picks up to its shocking finale as well as Director Don Mancini mentioned before that there will be more 'Child's Play' films and these new changes will be a part of the new vision in the franchise.

In short, "Chucky" IS BACK and ready to play!!!!
9 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Cult of Chucky"- A slick sequel that rewards longtime fans and takes many fascinating risks... though it's unorthodox story and noticeably low budget may turn off some.
MaximumMadness3 October 2017
For near thirty years now, good-ole' Chucky the killer doll has been terrorizing audiences the world over with his killer antics and twisted gallows humor. He's an indisputable horror icon, so it was never any surprise that even after a prolonged absence starting in 2004, he would eventually re-emerge. And that he did with 2013's surprisingly accomplished franchise-revival "Curse of Chucky"- a fiendish chapter that won back many of the fans whom had drifted from the series. "Curse" reinvigorated the character and the story, and reminded fans of just why they fell in love with that delightfully demented doll in the first place.

And while it took four long years of waiting, our anticipation for a follow-up to "Curse" has finally been answered with director Don Mancini's "Cult of Chucky", the seventh film in the "Child's Play" story. And while "Cult" did receive a warm reception from both general and horror film critics, with plenty of positive buzz built from a successful festival stint... the public unfortunately hasn't been so kind, with it having polarized viewers into either "love it" or "hate it" camps, with no in-between.

And that really is a shame, because as a fan of this series for many years, I though "Cult of Chucky" was a slick, stylish and incredibly enjoyable installment that only furthered my appetite for future follow-ups. While it definitely does lack the inherent freshness that permeated from "Curse of Chucky", "Cult" is a very organic extension of that film's mood and tone, and builds off of it very well... all while also managing to organically re-introduce some of the more fantastical and comedic elements of the series. It's a good mixture that balances the best of both worlds, while furthering the series narrative in strangely unique and risky ways. Sure, it does fall back on clichés a bit too often and it does have some issues with tone and pace, but honestly... I really had a blast with it!

Four years later. Chucky's original mark Andy Barclay (Alex Vincent) is still suffering the ramifications of his past, while his most recent target Nica (Fiona Dourif) has spend the past few years cooped up in an insane-asylum, blamed for the death of her family. After convincing herself that she was responsible and that Chucky was merely a figment of her imagination, Nica is transferred to a medium-security facility in an attempt to be rehabilitated. However, things take a dark turn when the head therapist introduces an interesting new therapeutic "device" to assist in Nica's aid... a Good-Guy doll. Shortly after, another startling turn happens when a certain bride of a certain killer doll (Jennifer Tilly) drops off a yet another Good-Guy doll to Nica. Which doll is just a doll? And which could possibly hold the soul of the serial killer Charles Lee Ray? And how can Chucky even be there when Andy seemingly has his still- living disembodied head? These questions will lead to a series of startling revelations that will leave Nica and Andy questioning their sanity as a game of torture and death plays out around them...

"Cult of Chucky" is at its best when it dives full-blown into the insane and deranged madness we've come to expect from these films. And thankfully, these moments do come quickly and consistently after the end of the first act. Writer/director Mancini relishes in piling on questions, mysterious and plenty of twists and turns that will leave the viewer constantly on edge and unable to quite work out what's happening. And it provides a lot of great entertainment value. The fact is, for a low-budget, direct-to-video follow up that is the seventh installment in a decades-old slasher film franchise... this is pretty darned decent, and it's clear a lot of love and care has been placed into the film by all involved. I also was quite taken with Mancini's keen visual eye for flow, composition and design. This is a gorgeous looking film.

This only made all the better by the consistently good performances. Particularly of note is Fiona Dourif, who continues to play Nica to perfection and has made her possibly the most likable lead of the series. She truly is a remarkable actress, and I hope to see her get more recognition in the future. It's also great fun to hear our friend-till-the-end Brad Dourif once again as the voice of Chucky. He continues to own the role and you can tell from his voice that he's having a blast. And of course, the delightful scenery-chewing Jennifer Tilly is back once again and with some more screen-time to boot. Tilly has added a lot to the franchise, so she's always a big plus for me.

Unfortunately, I can't help but admit the flaws here, and they do bring the movie down a few pegs. The budget is noticeably low, and the movie does at times have a sort-of cheap feeling to it that can take you out of the film. They're trying to do so much with so little, and it doesn't always work. The first act is a huge drag following a rather brilliant opening, and it feels very patchy and thrown together in comparison to the better- structured "Curse." And yeah... the movie does rely a bit too much on the old tropes and clichés, particularly early on. It makes the first half- hour or so a chore to sit through. Thankfully, by the midway point, it course-corrects, and the rest of the film is pure horror bliss.

"Cult of Chucky" might not quite be the breath of fresh air that its immediate predecessor was... but it's a very slick and entertaining follow-up that should please most longtime series fans and leave you wanting more. I'm gonna give it a pretty good 7 out of 10 as a fan of the series, and I would definitely recommend giving it a shot with an open mind. It's not perfect... but it's incredibly enjoyable.
8 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Chuck Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
The old adage that "big things come in small packages" has definitely proved to be true for the "Child's Play" films. Somehow, against all odds, this little guy has legs, becoming the most enduring and consistent horror movie franchise in recent memory, spanning and surviving three decades, without retcons or reboots. A big part of that success lies at the feet of writer turned writer- director, Don Mancini, who has been at the helm since the beginning, ensuring consistency throughout each installment. Also along for the ride since the beginning is the indispensable Brad Dourif as killer turned killer-doll, Chucky. Dourif's manic and often hilarious vocal performance combined with Mancini's "anything goes" sensibility makes each film a true pleasure to watch. All of that fan-pleasing, funny-bone teasing goodness is back for the seventh film, "Cult of Chucky."

Picking up where 2013's "Curse of Chucky" left off, "Cult of Chucky" finds Nica (Fiona Dourif) now committed to a mental institution. Nica has been pummeled by electro-shock therapy into believing she killed her whole family, so it's up to Chucky's original nemesis, Andy (played by a now fully-grown Alex Vincent), to come to her rescue and put childish things away, once and for all. Along the way, he has to contend with Chucky's on-again/off-again lover, Tiffany (Jennifer Tilly), who has now inhabited the body of Jennifer Tilly. Confused? Well, watch the other movies.

Though it's the second film in the series to be sent direct-to- video, the quality has most certainly not dipped with "Cult of Chucky." Mancini returns to the director's chair for the third time, and his visual style is very much informed by his time spent working on NBC's short-lived "Hannibal." Along for the ride is special effects guy Tony Gardner, who turns in some of his most impressive work to date. The film is riddled with practical effects that are not only convincing, but inspiring. If a DTV sequel can have special effects that put similar theatrical releases to shame, maybe there's hope for the future of the genre after all. On the acting front, Fiona Dourif digs deeper into her character and really seems to relish going slowly mad. The elder Dourif, meanwhile, is as crazy and charming as ever as the voice of everyone's killer doll. Vincent's return to the franchise is definite cause for celebration. His performance is a little wooden, but when you consider he gave up acting some 25 years ago, it's easy to cut him some slack. His presence is enough, as far as this fan is concerned. Speaking of presence, Jennifer Tilly is still an absolute bombshell, and her character feels very lived-in and is now an essential component of the franchise.

The film has a few surprises you won't see coming, and you'll definitely want to stay until the very end, friend. Like "Curse" before it, "Cult of Chucky" plays the fan service game without insulting its audience. There's plenty of fresh ideas stirred among the nostalgia, and Mancini's mythology will probably require an extensive road map going forward. The humor is good, the horror is well-done and the film looks and sounds appropriately cold and crisp (shout out to composer Joe Loduca, of "Evil Dead" fame). It's all in good, gory fun. Fans who have made it this far will find this "Cult" worthy of worship.
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Yay!!!
J. O.3 October 2017
Unlike all other slasher franchises from the 70s and 80s that have rebooted "for a new generation," this one keeps moving forward and manages to stay utterly creative. The Chucky movies are one big, continuing story since 1988. Don Mancini has had a hand in every one of them. He wrote parts 1-4 and then, for parts 5-7, he took over as director as well. His latest, Cult of Chucky, adds something completely new and unexpected to the saga but does not forget the past. Heck, there's even a reference to Kent Military Academy (the location for part 3). I really enjoyed this movie! Brad Dourif returns again as the voice of Chucky and has some fun dialog to spout. His daughter reprises the role of "Nica" and continues to impress. The memorable music is by Joseph Loduca who got his start with The Evil Dead in 1981. Cult of Chucky is fresh but faithful to the franchise.
12 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is how you kill Chucky
DreamOWD30 September 2017
Hm. Uh huh. Okay....

Horror fans get slapped in the face once again with this latest installment of the Chucky franchise.

You know... Don Mancini may have taken the credit for writing all these films... but all his self- directed films makes it seem like he doesn't really care much about Chucky as a character. For some reason he just does not know how to make a real horror film. He didn't direct the first one and that's the only really good one.

I'm not watching any more of these movies unless it gets a reboot. But with the way this movie is, I figure they expected us to say that.

They took the lore and flushed it down the toilet and they just slapped this together they didn't care. Nothing makes sense any more and Chucky's motivation is non-existent, it's not scary.

Chucky has been dismantled. The movie was pretty but Chucky's been dismantled. It'll never be scary again
10 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another fun 'Chucky' sequel...
John Plocar24 September 2017
I'm truly glad that they're still making sequels. Every installment of this series has been, for me anyways, consistently entertaining and has brought something different to the table; this film is no exception. "Cult of Chucky" is a fun ride that actually brings a slight psychological edge to its horror. From the beginning it is making the viewer question a little bit what is real and what isn't. Which for a movie that is the seventh installment of a franchise is ballsy, but winds up being pretty cool that they were able to twist things up a bit to where I wasn't 100% sure if Chucky was actually up to his old tricks again or if this was a movie about crazy people effected by the past traumas that Chucky inflicted upon them. Now because it is the movie that it is, I did kinda figure out what was going on, granted not too much longer before it was revealed. Still, I found this to be a fun ride from beginning to end with a great amount of thrills and laughs to be had as with all of these movies thus far.

I do have some gripes with the movie; for instance, the character of Andy Barclay has been brought back into this series. Originally I found this to be really awesome and I was excited to see where things go when he's first introduced into the movie. But after a while I honestly almost forgot that he was even in the film because he has nothing to do. It seriously felt as though the writers wrote his segments after the script was finished in order to pad things out because he barely feels that he's actually a part of the main plot going on. Then when he finally does show up more he still doesn't have much of anything to do and it is filmed as if he came in at a later date after the initial production was already over and these were pickup shots they made at another location.

Another thing I had a problem with was the third act, namely the ending. No spoilers here, but there was a lot of build up to an end that felt slightly abrupt. I think that may be because they introduce a new and interesting element in the final moments of the film, but we end up not seeing anything really come of that. Also the fact that Andy Barclay's plot thread is entirely dropped with no satisfying conclusion either. Maybe it is simply setup for another sequel, which if so I will say that I am on board because despite all the issues I may have with this movie I still had a great time watching it.

One thing that really stood out to me from even the start is that this film is superbly made; I mean that not only with its gore and effects, but also in its cinematography. This is a gorgeous movie to look at from beginning to end. Even in its simplest of shots it is terrifically composed and well lit. Proving once more that Don Mancini knows what he is doing behind the camera. The acting all around works and has plenty of colorful characters to carry this film. Brad Dourif, as always, is perfect in the role of the killer doll Chucky. Plus his daughter, Fiona Dourif, does a great job here as well and proves that she can even command the scene in some parts.

If you're a fan of this series then I'd say that this is on par with most of the rest of the series. It has everything you'd want out of a Chucky movie with maybe even a little more sprinkled in. Perfect? No. But still enough of a blast to keep the pace going for 90 minutes quickly. Since we are entering into the Halloween season this makes for a good horror movie to break out and watch. I will say though that if someone is new to the series and you go into this blind, I think you'll be able to make through it okay but I believe it would help if you watched at least a couple of the previous installments. This is a direct sequel to "Curse of Chucky" so if you want to skip through watching all 6 prior movies then I'd say just watch "Curse" in order to better follow what is going on in "Cult".

Anyways, I say check it out if you're curious. I believe it's worth the watch.
10 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Horrible movie Warning: Spoilers
OK I understand that this movie has been taking back to the roots of straight horror and they finally got rid of the annoying comedy like bride of chucky & seed of chucky. But frankly the only reason these movies keep getting made is because of the franchise name Chucky. needless beheading from falling glass same as the hotel room scene in bride of chucky. the buried doll scene same as childs play 2 where he was buried in the backyard. Frankly Hollywood should stop with the series and just let it drown out cause they will never be able to top the first 2 Childs play movie and they had a good run but this movie wasn't needed to be done at all.
10 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
was alright 5 or 6/10 max
jamiekevindee24 September 2017
okay firstly, i think the chucky movies are never ever going to get back to the quality of the original first movie or 2nd one, this one claimed to be different, yet had the same tired old gags etc as the seed and bride etc...

5/10..

if you really want to make chucky again, use everything you did in the original but with a different script! and use the same doll from number ones, chuckys changed about 3/4 times now its getting stupid, stick with the original doll!

...p.s get rid of Jennifer tilly, for me she completely ruins the films and drags it down to below 5/b movies era...
13 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
*shrug* I thought this was even better than Curse
horrorgasm30 September 2017
I don't know what all the complaining's about. I thought this was the best Child's Play in quite some time. Curse was a solid entry in the series, but personally I didn't find its return to the more serious tone of the original movie to be the greatest thing that ever happened to the series, like most people seem to believe.

No, I much preferred Cult, which instead of moving backwards and retreading the original movie, goes forward in an interesting new direction. I don't want to spoil anything, so I'll just say there's a new spin introduced to the classic concept of Chucky that leads to some interesting plot twists and some crazy possibilities for the future.

Yes, there's some pretty silly stuff happening sometimes (though not anywhere near as cheesy as 4 and 5), but this is a long-running horror franchise from the 80's, what do you expect? I thought the balance of seriousness and ridiculousness was just right in this case.

I disagree with the claims that the movie was too slow. Yes, there's not a lot of death in the beginning, but the script is well-written and the cast is solid and they both carry it well as things start gradually ramping up until the complete insanity of the final act. By the time it was over I was so into it that I was sad to see it end already. I really hope that Mancini picks right up where he left off here, because I really want to see where he takes all these strange new developments and Cult of Chucky has left me more excited for the future of this franchise than I have been in decades.
6 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An ambitious 80's psychological slasher done right.
HaNzz995 October 2017
The Child's Play franchise was one of the first film series, in any genre, that I've seen as a kid, and I remember being both terrified and oddly amused by them. Now, I find them to be more of a guilty pleasure, with the exception of the original and Curse of Chucky, both of which I found to be legitimately great slashers. When I heard that a seventh installment would get made, I got undeniably excited. Curse was such a well made revitalization for the franchise, and its ending promised even better, not to mention more deranged, things to come, so I was interested in seeing in which direction Mancini would take the characters. Add on top of that the return of some previous protagonists from the earlier films.. this movie had a lot going for it. Fortunately, it delivered.

I really liked it. Like seriously liked it. For me it was an extremely competent and fun 80's (stylistically speaking) psychological slasher that ranks among the better installments in the franchise. It delivers on the promise made by Curse, introduces many new and exciting concepts and leaves you salivating for the next installment.

I thought Mancini's direction took many queues from Hitchcock and de Palma, and it shows in the staging of some shots to evoke a sense of dread or incoming menace, and the execution of some scenes (like the dual screen ones, nice callback to Carrie, one of the big horror landmarks). Not only that, but the clean, very white-ish color palette also worked in favor as it made the film, and the asylum itself, feel more mysterious and entrancing. It goes hand to hand perfectly with the surreal and bizarre nature of the film. The red and white contrast whenever there's a murder is also beautiful (in an odd way) to look at. Great cinematography and style I'd say. I was impressed at this level of craftsmanship out of a very small budget direct to DVD movie.

As for the acting itself, it ranges from serviceable to great. I never felt like someone did a bad job, and even when someone decided to go over the top like Malcom or Angela, I thought it fit well within the location. Alex Vincent isn't the best actor nor is he remarkable, but his performance wasn't that off really. His performance sold for me the image of a lonely guy that isn't scared anymore by Chucky, but is still scarred for life by him. Brad and Fiona Douriff were both amazing, and Jenniffer Tilly was as crazy as she has always been. Whenever these actors appeared the film became a hell of a lot more fun for me.

As for the story, I found it to make sense, even though I agree that you need to have seen the other films to get what's going on in this one. The way this film ends is rather unexpected for me. Both me and my sister gasped immensely during certain reveals, and I actually think the ending is the best part of the movie. It subverts expectations, expands on the lore and leaves some concepts ambiguous (Don expressed he left some things unexplained that will be addressed in part 8), not to mention the fates of certain characters are so somber and dark, it makes you desperately want to know what's next for them. A close second is the film's opening. Such a standout, it perfectly encapsulates the level of hatred Andy has for this killer doll. The post credits reveal was also hype inducing for me (my favorite character from a previous film returns and kt was glorious).

Soundtrack was maybe a bit to reminiscent of Curse's but I think that's Don way of addressing some complaints people had about the franchise not having a main theme. Since Curse's was so well received, why not keeping that one with some tweaks here and there to differentiate the style of each subsequent film? I preferred Child's Play 2's theme, but I'm still happy with this.

All in all, I was happy with this film. It delivered on the psychological and mysterious aspects of the original trilogy, it delivered on the gore and slasher fronts, had great dark humor, some very unique and unexpected ideas, was well directed, acted, composed, brought together all previous films and promises an epic endgame for this franchise, or at least a very interesting future. It's not remarkably "scary", but it was a hell of a lot of fun, and I'm very interested in seeing where these characters end up next.
7 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What did you expect
victorgonzales26 September 2017
It's a Chucky Flick, What did you expect? Chucky to give an Oscar winning performance! it's a horror flick & above everything else it's entertainment. if you going to dive deep into the plot, the acting , the message of the film, go watch the NOTEBOOK or something. this is Horror! Blood, Guts, & a few laughs is all that's needed! Hats off to Don Mancini, Jennifer Tilly, Brad Dourif, Fiona Dourif!!!!! I Don't care what anyone thinks, it's a good movie in my eyes!!
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
WOW was this bad...
J Ritty26 September 2017
OK, this one is almost an insult to anyone who enjoyed the last one. Cheap and boring in every possible way...I'm writing this half way through I'm so disgusted at this point it can't possibly become good enough to save it. The doll looks great and that's the best I can say. Everything is cheap and lousy and it looks like a TV show not a movie, even Tilly was wasted. No more if this is what's gonna be turned in.
10 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst of them all
milena-trajcevska102 October 2017
This has to be the worst of the Chucky series,it was more funny than scary.I regret spending 2 hours on it,it makes no sense...I had higher expectations,it was boring,slow and i couldn't wait for it to be over.The doll was badly designed,the effects were bad,even the acting had its flaws.It's all focused in one place (hospital),no story and bad ending...I hope this one's the last Chucky movie.
6 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So lame..
senthach25 September 2017
Just seen this the other day.. it was horrible. The effects was so bad,movie is just an excuse for a reboot as this movie doesn't even resolve anything instead it ends setting up for a sequel. One of the main characters in the series,Andy doesn't do anything either, movie builds him as the hero to come and kill all the chucky clones (yes clones, cos that happened) only to be locked up after a dumb little battle.. so lame. I don't understand how there is only like 5 people in the whole damn building either, and how no-one just kicks the silly doll.. it's a doll! The guy that gets ganged up on literally does nothing. He didn't even flinch n fight back when he gets attacked lol he could easily kicked all their doll assess.. so stupid. The deaths in this movie id straight up hilarious and b.s. especially the Asian.. also the *sex* scenes were unnecessary just makes things weird n now sense. This movie is bad, like all the chucky movies besides maybe the first One, even in that classic, the doll looks more legit n less effects.. don't watch this. Waste of time
6 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
all in all waste of time and insult to horror fans
Lima Alan13 October 2017
disregard any comments with rating over 3.. I felt physical pain trying to watch this.. no horror no acting no story... insult to any watchers with a slight touch of brains.. horrible.. and if there were any fans of chucky out there, after watching this there will be no more.. and this false rating thing is getting out of hand really, you can't get honest rating on any movie without 10000 rates these days..
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not the very best!!
digitalinfotainment9 October 2017
Having watched the Child's Play series from the beginning. This one to me seemed a little off from the original. The plot was somewhat mugged-up if I may say. If you're a fan of the series, then my advice would be to skip this one, as it is not that intuitive as the rest. After the first 3 franchise, it seems the movie has moved from a standard horror melodrama to a bloated gore experience. Good for casual watch.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.