Reminiscence (2021) Poster

(2021)

A journey...through the exposition machine.
benjaminskylerhill20 August 2021
Good performances? Check. Good cinematography? Check. Creative visual effects? Check. Intriguing concept and interesting introductory world building? Check.

A boring, generic corporate corruption plot? Check. Not knowing what the actual central conflict of the film is until about 90 minutes in? Check. Underdeveloped character relationships that completely cause the audience to not understand or care why our lead character is so hell-bent on doing the things he does? Check. Not including any plot or character elements that relate to the weird semi-apocalyptic setting of the movie, rendering it utterly pointless? Check.

Lisa Joy thought her TV skills would transfer to film. They don't. It's a different method of storytelling, and her episodic techniques used here are so frustrating and boring to watch in a feature film.

This should've been an HBO mini-series.
589 out of 703 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Reminiscing the days when studios released good movies
rangerxus21 August 2021
A total failed attempt at film noir. All the elements were there: a masuline gruffy leading man narrating the movie (Jackman), a loyal sidekick (Newton), and the femme fatale (Ferguson). But the film was never able to gain enough traction to take flight. The storyline had potential but substandard acting and meandering plot-line left me detached and indifferent. There were a couple of plot twists but not unpredictable.

The movie had great potential with its setting of ocean flooded coastline and the technology of reminiscence as an escapism from an intolerable existence. But these futuristic concepts were not developed other then as simple underutilized background to forward an uninspired story line forward.to it's predicable and uninspired ending.

I am a fan of Hugh Jackman and Thandiwe Newton. But the scene of their big argument was some of the worst acting I've seen from actors of their caliber... totally forced and unbelievable. The fight scenes were also unconvincing and the choreography was below modern movie's standards..

A movie to watch when it streams or on DVD rental. But unless you are a strong Jackman fan not worth spending the money in the theater. Alternate movies might be Blade Runner (Harrison Ford) or Surogates (Bruce Willis) both of which are better movies in my opinion.

And to those who rate Reminiscence high and pity me for not being capable of understanding the movie, I have seen thousands and thousands of movies in my lifetime. I like movies of all genres as long as they are well crafted films. I know the difference between a great move, good move, mediocre movie, and terrible movie. I don't begrudge your rating of 9 or 10 so please don't begrudge my rating of 5.
323 out of 430 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nearly didn't watch this after reading reviews
s-ireland27 August 2021
Don't be put off by reviewers who won't invest brainpower to work out what's happening and why. This is a good film, well cast and well acted, great plot and whilst not action packed it rolls along nicely. I was entertained and I enjoyed it.
202 out of 292 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What's happening to IMDb?
dimyanastoyanova26 August 2021
I was really doubtful about this movie after I came here to find some reviews and for one more time this site let me down.

The movie was really well made. The story was intriguing and unpredictable. Dialogues were meaningful. Every word was put on a purpose. Well-written script. Not too much of romance, not too much of fight scenes, not too much of sci-fi, not too much of mystery, and not too much of detective story. It had all that but it was all really well balanced. The actors did a great job as well, Hugh Jackman was amazing as always, I could've watched him at least 2-3 times more.

Instead of reading comments from teens who haven't developed yet (or will never do) their taste for good cinema just go and see the movie. Just like I did. And if you are a fan of all I've mentioned above you won't regret it. The soundtrack was also pretty cool.👍
279 out of 411 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Much better than given credit for
GenXer29 August 2021
The reviews are so overwhelmingly negative that I almost feel a moral obligation to come to the defense of this movie.

It is not a prefect effort, and perhaps it could have been better. But it is solid work for what it is. A great deal of thought, talent, and craftsmanship went into making this film, and it shows. The story was engaging. Honestly, I was bracing for boredom and found myself somewhat riveted once the story got going after the first 10 minutes or so. Parts of this movie were quite beautiful in design as well as narrative.

Without giving too much away, the story somewhat mirrors Vertigo, but within a film noir format. Perhaps it could have been better if the narrative was more realistic and gritty vs. Artistic and noir-ish - but who knows?

Lisa Joy ought to be commended for an intriguing story, meticulous and nuanced direction, and good pacing that causes neither confusion nor boredom - two ailments that many modern movies suffer from.

This isn't an action or superhero flick. You've got to pay attention and have your thinking hat on. If that's not your idea of entertainment, then take a pass. It is very respectable work. Enjoy it.
127 out of 186 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent Noir Cinema
bigredpackman24 August 2021
Not a circus that so many haters seem to want from every movie. I truly enjoyed the dialogue, the slower pace, the acting and the story.
171 out of 269 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nope.... I didn't like it!
redkyng20 August 2021
It started with a good idea (Inception inspiration) past the first half hour everything will change, slowly i lost interest, it's boring, weak plot and some weird moments that I just wanted the movie to end... sorry this is not Inception, not even close!
253 out of 415 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cured my insomnia
sjbx0721 August 2021
Film is boring from start to finish, pretty good concept ruined by an incredibly bland story, I'm not sure I've ever cared less about characters.
288 out of 476 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Yeeeesh...
connergoneill21 August 2021
What if Christopher Nolan had a traumatic brain injury? When Brian Cox in Adaptation said "god help you if you use voice-over" he was talking about this movie. Probably one of the worst screenplays I've ever seen. The CGI looks like a video game, absolutely TERRIBLE dialogue. "Memories are like beads on the necklace of time" or "Come on dad, let's get you home to your medicine" or "nobody wants to see a girl in a thrift store dress" when she's obviously wearing a like $3000 designer cocktail dress. The writer director has only ever been a producer for bad tv shows and it shows. The entire look and feel is right out of an NBC prime time sci-fi show that people's dad's begrudgingly watch as they fall asleep. And the entire concept feels like an artifact of 1999-2003. This is embarrassingly bad in every possible way. Razzie for screenplay.
239 out of 396 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mickey Spillane meets Bladerunner.
jaimemedina-3628821 August 2021
And the results are not very good. It's just boring and not nearly as impressive as it takes itself to be. Despite all the acting talent in the cast, mediocre writing sinks this ship.

There's an obvious lack of writing skill, and it's painful to watch the cliches rehash again and again. This is what happens when nepotism is valued more than talent.

But hey Lisa Joy is probably laughing all the way to the bank.
164 out of 275 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved it!
khollings26 August 2021
Loved it! Just like Hitchcock's "Vertigo," some people get it, some people don't. Time will tell. Same as with Blade Runner, every storyteller doesn't spoon feed the audience. I say this is an 8 for the reasons that others have already stated.
114 out of 190 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Familiarity Breeds Contempt...
Xstal20 August 2021
Memories, remembrances, reflections and retrospection, recalled without originality, innovation, imagination and ingenuity, leading to repetition, duplication, restatement & replication - but most importantly of all it's dull, boring, tedious and dreary.
138 out of 239 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disconnected ... memories ?
ArthurianX19 August 2021
I'm not going to discuss the movie at length, others will do that definitely, I'll just say that I left the theater feeling absolutely nothing.

I was not attached to any of the characters during any part of the movie, with such great cast and Lisa Joy at the helm it's hard to miss the point, but I think Reminiscence has missed it.

The story wants to be on one side of a disbanded/chaotic near future, and on another side a heavily policed and rule abiding citizens kind of future.

The cast is awesome, but there's absolutely no chemistry between them, I honestly feel like Hugh had more charisma and chemistry playing that teacher that was convicted for embezzlement.

And every other moral or lesson falls totally flat because of this weird world Lisa Joy has built and the lack of chemistry between the cast and the view with the cast.

It's a bit tragic to see something like this go to waste.
101 out of 178 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't miss a good movie due to some bad reviews
trodr28 August 2021
This movie was a pleasant surprise especially due to the bad reviews i've seen and that i tend to take into consideration (and clearly shouldn't).

The writing and the acting is great, the soundtrack is on point and i really liked the concept of the movie. It has a small pace and intensity but it fits the message pretty well and makes it a good movie to appreciate and make some thoughts about after the end.

If you like a sci-fi movie full of action and explosions this is not your type but if you like something well designed and with a more serious tone this is with no doubt a movie of great taste.
47 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't listen to these terrible reviews
rekemx20 August 2021
Just wtached this movie and it was great. Enjoyed it the action is really good the music is good it suited the movie very well.

It isn't cheesy and it definitely isn't misogynistic like that one review said. Isn't any misoygni anywhere. The perosn who said that is 100% high.

The acting is great the story line is great. One of the greatest endings to a film I have ever watched!
93 out of 164 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Without that sadness you can't taste the sweet"
danielfnemes10 September 2021
SF, crime movie, film noir but mostly an unusual and beautiful love story. A slow paced drama in an eerie atmosphere with solid performances from Hugh Jackman, Rebecca Ferguson and Thandiwe Newton. The surreal flooded landscape, the Philip Marlowe style narration and the beautiful music come together nicely. Those with bad reviews probably only have the patience to watch a Justin Bieber clip. If you are an intelligent and sensible person give it a try, you will be surprised.
32 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cheap
blankdirector20 August 2021
What's with this new, horrible trend of films that feel like cheap TV shows? Is this the direction we're going in? Count me out.
191 out of 353 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Reminiscent of other movies
DomAki19-20 August 2021
Seems like the writer-director became inspired by CHINATOWN, INCEPTION, MEMENTO, and THE CROW. We all want original movies but this is not it, complete RIP-off of better movies, and even with HUGE JACKMAN, he couldn't save it; feels like he's way bigger than the movie itself.

Also, movie plays really amateurish, like nepotism is the only reason this film got made. Reminds me of an undergrad student film.
107 out of 192 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Solid noir with cli-fi trappings
fraser-simons21 August 2021
After being initially disappointed that it wasn't more cerebral, as the trailer makes it seem like it could go either way, I ended up pleasantly surprised. This is solid noir; sometimes subversive of the genre, other times hitting tropes well.

There were a couple times where the answer seems obvious, but for the most part it fosters doubt and suspension of disbelief enough for all of the compelling elements to sing. The script is good. The dialogue is uneven, but actually swings to quite good when it's not swinging back to a bit too much exposition. The set design is fantastic. The aesthetic is cool. Incorporating climate fiction, with the water level having risen, and the class stratification interplay, all worked for me.

Will it blow your mind? No. But it is more intelligent and interesting than it seems to be getting credit for. It's a mash-up that was to my taste and what I didn't know I wanted going into it. Give it a chance and keep an open mind.
46 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautifully written.
CarltonInertiaWilson21 August 2021
This movie has some of the best dialogue I've heard in years. When it finished my first thought was "who wrote this??"

Overall, it's a dope sci-fi murder mystery that'll take you on a journey...

Great date night movie!
68 out of 119 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Greatly exceeds expectations
avianflu21 August 2021
One of the most poignant and affecting films I've seen in decades. A totally absorbing experience that you'll have trouble shaking yourself from when you leave the cinema. Don't be misled by the reviews and even the trailer. This is not a rehash of Inception or Bladerunner. It's far closer to classics like Vertigo. So good.
51 out of 87 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A movie to remember
gnzbro21 August 2021
This was a genuinely great movie. It could fit right in the 1960s or 70s, when the competition was stiff, and that's saying something. It was so moving, so emotionally powerful, so true. To see a man, nick (hugh jackman), do what he does motivated purely by love, well, it makes the movie make perfect sense.

I pity those who do not understand reminiscence. They are those who rate it low. But then again, the classics of cinema were all poorly rated at their time of release: Clockwork Orange, Mr. Nobody, more then I care to remember.
47 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not perfect, but worth watching
tfur26 August 2021
I don't agree with a lot of the harsh reviews. I think the story here was told in way that unraveled perfect. Some predictable, but not too predictable. I didn't feel as if the story was dragged on either. A movie like this tells a story within a story, and highlights a theme of interpretation that is more open to internal thought. It's an action movie, but also a love story. It has mystery and adventure and for me answered any questions I could have had. Visually stunning, and the music was very noir. Give it a chance.
40 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty enjoyable, if you lower your expectations
andrew-hill51520 August 2021
It's not much of a story, not much of a mystery, not much of a revenge story, not particularly deep, not particularly insightful and doesn't have half as much to say as it thinks it does.

Overall it's not a great movie, but it's well-crafted, well-acted and the cast and crew did a good job.

The script and idea behind it were lacklustre, but at least it wasn't boring and there was no noticeable dead time I could point at that wasn't needed for the story being told.

I mean there were elements that didn't add much and that could easily have been cut out, and the pacing was OK, but it wasn't really the kind of movie you need to nitpick that way. Not quite a popcorn flick, but maybe one rung above that.
118 out of 217 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gentle Sci-fi Noir, respectful of the genre.
mnxnt22 August 2021
This is a near-future Noir that's very true to it's Golden Age antecedents. If you like the genre, it's worthwhile. Not original by any means, but that's not the intention: the opposite. Noir has it's tested format and tropes to which the movie conforms faithfully, and it still works. The lonely, jaded detective; the femme fatale; the brutish yet somewhat sympathetic antagonist; the cynical but honest friend: all very well cast, particularly Thandiwe Newton who I found very reminiscent of a Thelma Ritter in this. What this captures of the old movies that many comparable films don't is the sentimentality, and I think it eventually succeeds in it's central aim of generating a wistful atmosphere, though it's no "Out of the Past".

I wanted to see what the director had done with a favourite genre, and I apreciated it - it was to my taste.
49 out of 84 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.