The story of programming prodigy and information activist Aaron Swartz, who took his own life at the age of 26.The story of programming prodigy and information activist Aaron Swartz, who took his own life at the age of 26.The story of programming prodigy and information activist Aaron Swartz, who took his own life at the age of 26.
Anyone that uses computers should watch this film!
The film implied important questions:
1. Do computer users have any rights in the United States at all? If not, do the lawmakers not know enough about computers to make them?
2. Why do US Federal prosecutors threaten computer users when the "injured parties" state that they do not seek prosecution?
3. Why does a university like MIT not protect the fundamental rights of its students?
4. Isn't the primary role of a university to protect and nourish the fundamental rights of students before teaching can occur?
5. How much of Aaron's prosecution was based on legal precedent and how much of it was politically motivated?
6. Should any amount of politics be tolerable in a legal case where someone's life is on-the-line?
7. Why is the U.S. secret service prosecuting civilians in matters not related to national security?
I cannot begin to answer these questions by myself, but someone much smarter than me, like Aaron, may have been able to.
Computer experts have historically been blamed for the mistakes of others that did not know what they were doing with technology. Experts are threatened, scared into submission, and punished for the smallest infraction. Schools, governments, and everyday people are scared of computer experts and the power they command.
This movie leads one to believe that the nation's leaders are letting their fears control their decisions about technology instead of seeking out the experts and being open about their policies. This film covers all of this and more.
It most importantly serves as Aaron's story. Aaron is portrayed as a brilliant young computer expert that won't give up. It shows Aaron from a young age up until his last moments. His family, his friends, dreams and aspirations are all present. It shows his success at business and his genius. The filmmakers did an amazing job in making this beautiful film. This a tribute to Aaron's life and work.
I highly recommend watching this film.
- Jan 26, 2014