The Expanse (2015– )
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 23 items
Sex & Nudity
- Season 3 Man and woman shown naked laying face to face and the woman's buttocks are shown.
- Season 4: Second episode man and woman having sex. Woman on top shown from back. She's moaning and grunting and moving on the man. Her buttocks are shown.
- Two men are seen naked leaving a locker room. Rear nudity is shown.
- Infrequent sex and nudity throughout the show. Some sexual scenes with movements and partial nudity (mainly male and female bare buttocks). Some scenes of nudity in non-sexual contexts (no full frontal) A few scenes where prostitution is implied in a club. Some sexually charged dialogue (nothing graphic). Same and opposite sex couples have romances.
- A man is shown face down and naked, buttocks glimpsed.
- Throughout: Occasional scenes in a 'pleasure house,' women are shown lying in beds or standing in rooms, sometimes scantily clad.
Violence & Gore
- This show is violent, but not excessively. Gunfights are infrequent. It's more intense than Star Trek, but not venturing into high or severe territory.
- A man is shown spontaneously exploding with blood and gore shown in graphic detail. This scene is referenced again in multiple future episode recaps.
- A woman crushes the skull of a recently deceased man to fit him inside a storage space. Very graphic and bloody.
- Intense sci-fi violence throughout. Scenes of shooting and deaths by guns, or space battles. Some moments of extreme gore are shown (they are described in this page) but are infrequent.
- A worker loses his arm in an accident, later seen at the doctor being assessed. Although a stump is shown not graphic, no blood and it seems (being set in the future) pain is very short lived, enhanced replacement or regeneration is possible.
- Men are shown fighting and rioting.
- A man is shown with a dagger through his chest.
- Religious profanity, including "Jesus" in the first episode.
- Season 1 has no F-words - the language is mostly mild. Season 2 has an average 2 F-words per episode. Season 3 contains frequent strong language.
- Throughout all of season 3, the profanity is increased from previous seasons. This includes frequent use of the F-word per episode by multiple characters.
- Multiple uses of blasphemy throughout the series.
- Strong language is not constant but does increase as the series progresses: uses of shit, fuck, fucking, damn, hell, asshole, bullshit, GD, "son of a bitch" and more.
- Occasional strong language.
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- People are occasionally shown drinking alcohol in social settings or with others.
- People are shown sitting around smoking
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- Suggested Rating: TV-MA for mostly sexual content including nudity, language, gore and violence
Violence & Gore
- A young boy is first shown with blood on his hands. As the camera pans out, it shows that he has fully dismembered a person splayed out on the floor. Extremely graphic.