Cruella (2021) Poster

(2021)

1,245 Reviews
What a surprise!
vignesh-av2428 May 2021
To be really honest, I had very low positive thoughts about this movie. But, boy was I in for a surprise. Emma Stone is the show stealer. It's really a fun dark movie. Did expect this from Disney. Loved it!!
572 out of 806 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What if Disney combined Birds of Prey, Oceans Eleven, Devil Wears Prada, James Bond, and Vivienne Westwood
steven-leibson6 June 2021
Can you make an entertaining film by blending features from the Joker's girlfriend Harley Quinn in "Birds of Prey," a successful heist film like Oceans Eleven, the daring of a Bond film, a swath of "The Devil Wears Prada," and meld it with the 1970's London punk fashion story of designer Vivienne Westwood? Can you do all that as a backstory for a six-decade old, animated Disney feature film? Can you sew all those different fabrics and parts into one cohesive garment? Apparently, you can. There is so much brilliant writing, over-the-top performance, and spot-on production brilliance packed into this movie that it must simply be seen to be appreciated. I've never seen a movie like this and I don't think there's a written explanation that can do it justice. If you love all sorts of films like the ones listed above, you'll love this film.
137 out of 211 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My darling, this movie is brilliant!
ernestoherreraf28 May 2021
When I heard that they we're going to make a live-action movie about Cruella de Vil, I thought: This is going to be a disaster.

The trailers looked good but still not really great.

This movie? Blows every live action (except Cinderella) out of the park! Cruella is brilliantly written, acted and portrayed. All the side characters are memorable and useful. The baroness is amazing and just pure evil. I love it.

The costume designs are the best thing in this movie. They are beautiful, diffrent and are a feast to your eyes.

This movie gives me hope for the future of Disney!
309 out of 540 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You're so dark are you sure you're not from the DC Universe
waltermwilliams27 May 2021
My faith in Walt is restored...Disney that is.

Ever since I was a little child watching in wonderment in the dark at the Movies or on the Black and White Pye TV at home...Walt Disney has entertained me for decades, but it's been a while since he put this kind of smile on my face.

Even though he's pushing up daisies or chilling out in a Cryogenic Chamber he still manages to bring magic into my life.

The brands latest effort is the live-action prequel, "Cruella" and it lives up to the trailers and then some.

It's a very dark origins story, not unlike "Joker".

Both films feature famous villains and turn them into protagonists misunderstood by friends, family and society.

What an amazing cast to watch strutting their stuff on the big screen and enjoying themselves.

"La La Lands" Emma Stone is brilliant as both Estella and her alter ego Cruella.

Emma Thompson is the Baroness...the nasty sociopathic woman Estella aspires to be whilst Cruella wants to destroy her and for good reasons that will reveal themselves in the fullness of time.

Joel Fry who was fun in "Yesterday" and Paul Walter Houser from "Richard Jewell" and "I,Tonya" provide the comic relief.

John McCrea who flamboyantly played Jamie in "Everybody's Talking About Jamie" doesn't hold back as the Rock Star of the Vintage Rag Trade.

Dedicated followers of fashion will love this movies costumes.

As usual Mark Strong puts in another strong performance as John the Valet.

The best part is the films Director is a fellow Aussie, Craig Gillespie, better known for "Lars and the Real Girl" and "I, Tonya" where he worked with Houser.

The original live action Cruella de Vil, Glenn Close, gets a nod with an Executive Producer credit for this 2021 movie.

"Cruella" had me from the opening bars of Supertramps' "Bloody Well Right" as we witness the birth of Estella.

From there the soundtrack rolls on highlighting just how good some of the modern classic songs of the 60's and 70's have stood the test of time.

It's a stellar collection of music from The Doors, Nine Simone, Electric Light Orchestra, The Ohio Players, Queen, Blondie, and The Clash to name a few.

It's already liked on my Spotify Library and playing in my French Batmobile.

I even love how the famous Disney logo is in black, white and red...Cruella DeVil's colours.

Even though it's based on the popular children's novel "One Hundred and One Dalmatians" by the late author Dodie Smith and has a PG rating this is a movie adults will also enjoy.

After all they didn't release it during the School Holidays.

In the words of Deadpool, "You're so dark. Are you sure you're not from the DC Universe."
322 out of 600 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Could possibly be...
aeasmmikey-865368 June 2021
..the best movie I've seen in a decade. And I see a lot of movies.

I understand and respect the negative reviews; an opinion is just that -- an opinion. The biggest negative is -- who is supposed to be the audience? Don't bring the kids -- not your typical Disney. Does it bear some resemblance to Devil Wears Prada? Yes. But honestly -- every second was so beautifully, scrumptiously executed, every scene, every costume (the garbage truck dress!).....oh, for heaven's sake, just go see it.
120 out of 215 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Visually quite good, story wise.... eh, not terrible
jonmarin-5579520 July 2021
I liked the movie quite a lot, but I enjoyed it a lot more visually than story wise. The outfits were amazing, and the characterization was well done, but overall the story was a bit shallow and sometimes kind of odd.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's not changing cinema, but its full of style and a fun time
elwynchofmann28 May 2021
Cruella is full of style and a pretty good time. Emma Stone does great in the titular role, and her presence really ups the enjoyment. Starting off with the good: the production design, costuming, hair, and makeup are so great in this film. Emma Stone gets to rock a ton of different hairstyles, and the period-piece aspect gives opportunities for the costuming team to really show off. The architecture is beautiful, and it does a great job of transporting you to this period in London. I definitely anticipate this film to get some love at the Oscars in those categories. The film is also very colorful and vibrant at times, which was fun. The first act was a bit slow but after about 45 minutes it starts to pick up nicely.

Where the film faltered for me was definitely the script. It's not a bad script by any means, but it definitely could have been polished up. Some of the villain's motives are completely nonexistent, and the screenplay makes no attempt to try to explain them to the audience. It was a bit jarring because I thought it would get cleared up in the third act, but they just gloss right over it. The film also doesn't pack any big emotional punch, which isn't a bad thing or even necessary - it just holds it back from being anything great. The film has a good use of licensed music that adds a lot of style to the film, in a similar vein to Joker. However, this did lead me to be a bit underwhelmed by Nicolas Britell's original compositions, which left little to be remembered.

Cruella honestly surprised me, and I have to say I enjoyed it quite a bit. It's not changing cinema, but it's fun, stylish, and great time back at the theater. Definitely one of Disney's better live-actions, and I definitely recommend seeing in a theater if you can!
176 out of 328 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cruella is, simply put, phenomenal.
carsontuscany28 May 2021

Cruella is simply put, phenomenal. A beautifully and artistically styled film that sets the perfect mood for the dark and cynical title character, the film just feels rebellious and makes you want to root for a true villain and horrific person. Emma Stone shows once again why she is so highly praised in the film community alongside a great performance from Emma Thompson who inserts her greatness in acting throughout the films entirety. Director Craig Gillespie has earned all his stripes in the film industry with films like I, Tonya and now Cruella, as his direction never fails to have intricately designed sets, costume designs and music choice. Gillespie truly knows what has to be done to truly fully immerse an audience in a story and environment and shows it off to perfection with this film. There is no doubt for a single second that Cruella is the best of the Disney live-action adaptations to date, and it will likely stay that way for many years to come.
267 out of 508 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best Disney Live-Action To Date.
wishiwasdana27 May 2021
It's dark, it's edgy, it embodies the punk rock movement of the 1970s and injects it into every aspect of this film with glorious results. Emma Thompson steals the show!
164 out of 320 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An inconsistent mess full of boring tropes.
haileyabarnard29 May 2021
Somehow Disney found an entire team of people who've never seen 101 Dalmatians, and forced them to write a prequel movie in an hour. Only good part of it was the costumes.
204 out of 408 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
the sun was blotted out..,,
jwjtn30 May 2021
As disney shills flew en masse to salvage something for their overlords. The animated 101 Dalmatians stands the test of time. So trot out your live action flavors of the month and try to squeeze a dollar, they only prove their desperation. I was blessed to have raised my kids in a golden time of movie magic.
195 out of 390 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not good.
harpocrates-818341 June 2021
More regurgitated garbage from Disney. Not only was it bad but at least in some other movies the main does not get framed as some cool and edgy anti-hero that we all secretly aspire to. She became what she hated and the movie celebrates it.
265 out of 538 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
All women are queens
BracelotiV1 June 2021
Disney is ruining every female vilain they have.

In Disney's eyes there are no bad women in the world, all of them have a motivation to be evil, they can't be just evil.
338 out of 695 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So sad that Disney lost its magic
lilywater-348841 June 2021
It's just too cruel to put your family through Cruella.

Stay home, watch an old Disney if you must. Disney must have released this movie at this time knowing it's a dud. Sweeping the trash out and maybe make a few bucks from the poor unsuspecting movie starved consumer. The once dependable family movie studio is dead.
141 out of 278 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Everything wrong with modern Disney
burzum_gothmug2 June 2021
"Hey I have an idea! Let's dig through our old movies, dig up random villains /protagonists and give them revamped origin stories to cash in on the nostalgic audience." I can't believe this trick still works on people. Don't give Hollywood the chance to take you for a fool. Avoid at all costs.
180 out of 360 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cruella is, simply a horribly souless mess
phobicsq28 May 2021
I never thought that I would say the Glenn Close version would be better than this but here we are. Emma Stone has done some fun films and she has some range but in this film she doesn't add anything, but it's probably because of the horrible screenplay and story.

First, why was this made and second, disney continues its nose dive into poorly made films. The only real thing about this film is how much product placement and high dollar clothes it shoves in the audiences face! That's basically what disney has become, whether it is bowing before China, pushing identity politics, or preaching how great greed is! There is no heart and if Walt was alive he'd be mighty upset.

I'm actually surprised at how many high scores this has received, it's like an episode of the Twilight Zone. Has the bar for bad movies fallen so low? The film is frantic, the story is very loose, and when you think it will settle down you get pop music at every turn.

Save yourself time, money, and brain cells by avoiding this film. Watch the classic 101 Dalmations animated film and maybe you'll remember what disney once was.
293 out of 600 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring and uninspired
cjhorak31 May 2021
Like others have said this is a check the box movie, uninspired cash grab. 3 of us started watching this, 2 fell asleep it was so bad. I cant think of a single thing good to say about this movie.
102 out of 197 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
wtf is this garbadge
xx-jorge28 May 2021
Im a women hear me cringe is like one of the first lines you get from this movie its just another disney propanga movie to set the women vs man dynamic.

It sets cruella as a some type off a anti hero protag wich she really shouldnt be she wants to kill dogs one of the purest animals on this plannet and we should root for her? And really nice timing with the Yulin Dog Meat festival just another disney garbadge movie.
236 out of 480 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tepid, at best.
jonasatmosfera28 May 2021
Disney has lost its touch, and it shows!

Cruella is so bad, bland, tedious, insipid that it makes difficult to criticize or review it.

It is even hard to know what the target audience was supposed to be. Who would enjoy sitting for an eternity to see two ladies involved with high fashion fighting each other?

We all know (or most of us) that the fashion world is nothing more than frivolous people full of hot air, and then Disney comes and makes a two plus hours mockumentary about it.

Cruella is not a drama, comedy, sci-fi, horror, thriller.... It simply is nothing!

But rest assured that by watching it, your IQ you drop at least 10 points.
277 out of 568 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Who is this for?
tccandler30 May 2021
A Disney disaster that is too dark to entertain children... and too childish to entertain adults. The soundtrack is clichéd and on-the-nose. The performances are intentionally hammy... but it plays like a cheap stage production. No one creates a single real emotion of any kind. I didn't laugh. I didn't care. I didn't buy any of it for one second.
267 out of 547 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sigh
meangorilla0729 May 2021
Why can't bad guys just be bad guys cause they're... bad? "Some people just want to watch the world burn." Having a sob story doesn't justify your wrong doings. Just stop with the awful villain origin stories, Disney. This one is the worst so far.
436 out of 911 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Too long, too boring, no character
Aggmarin30 May 2021
First half and hour was long and boring, after that had to watch with x2 speed and even with that it didn't help The story is so lazy and silly, nothing original What a waste of Emma stone!
180 out of 362 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really?
neilsenbell-005032 June 2021
If you don't mind getting gaslit and brainwashed...then you might enjoy this movie. All modern movies now are 100% indoctrination and propaganda tools yet the majority of people have no clue they are being made into tools. They think you are nuts if you try to tell them. This movie is absolute garbage - even if the propaganda elements were to be removed. I watched it only for education purposes.

The fact that many people actually like this movie bodes VERY BAD for our species.
144 out of 286 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The reimagination & ruination of a Disney icon villain
gareth-7544229 May 2021
It would seem DC/warner aren't the only company willing to deficate all over their iconic characters with unimaginative, uninteresting & ridiculously expensive silly reimaginings that are completely pointless, Disney are also happy to aswell.

The comedy is lacking the action is tepid & the reimagined story is a pile of smelly dog doo.

The uneducated & intelectualy challenged have likened this to "the joker", neither the character or the film bares any resemblance to the "joker" character or the recent movie, in fact the cartoonish "Cruella" character is nothing more than a rip off of Vivienne Westwood, the iconic fashion designer that was largely responsible for bringing modern punk and new wave fashions into the mainstream.

This is yet another pointless movie from the house of mouse & it's dried up ideas, the regurgitation & ruination of ideas that have been & should be left alone to bask in the glory of their initial triumph.

Disney should spend less time robbing the back catalogue & spend more time searching for new talented imagineers.

Perhaps this is the state of the world today, in 1961 Disney released " 101 Dalmatians" a literal work of art in story & animation, 60 years later in 2021 Disney release "Cruella", a lacklustre offering that is more childish & immature than a Saturday morning cartoon for 6 month old babies.
362 out of 753 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
101+Devil+Birds
w-bogdan29 May 2021
One Hundred and One Dalmatians + The Devil Wears Prada + Birds of Prey: And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn = Cruella There, I just saved you two hours.
315 out of 652 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.