A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (2019) Poster

Indirectly about Mr. Rogers
Vic_max23 November 2019
The movie is loosely based on Tom Junod's life around 1998 when he wrote an article on Mr. Rogers for Esquire magazine.

It's interesting because the journalist, named Lloyd Vogel in the movie, is introduced as a harsh cynic who's notorious for shredding the character of the people he writes about. Mr. Rogers, fully aware of this, still invites him into his world.

Here, Vogel is actually the subject of the movie ... and Mr. Rogers is the enigmatic subject of the article he's writing. You don't get too much insight on Rogers himself but you do get a feel for how he affected people and why.

If you're interested on learning more about Rogers, see the documentary "Won't You Be My Neighbor" (2018). You'll get more of a feel for who he is. But if you're in the mood for a touching story from his life, this is a good one to see.
183 out of 202 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The first film I've seen in years that has deeply affected me.
CriticalOfEverything1 February 2020
This may get a little personal, but I've been suffering from severe depression and have had a lot of issues dealing with anger, sadness and all for about five years now. For the past 8 years of my life, and earlier years of my childhood, I have loved Fred Rogers. He always told me and millions of children all over the world that he likes us just the way we are, and taught us the power of kindness, positive ways of thinking and dealing with our emotions, and while I'll always be a cynic by nature, I've always tried to take what he taught me and many others to heart. He was genuinely the kindest, most loving and compassionate human being to ever grace this Earth. But over the past year especially, I've stopped caring about my life with tragedy happening around me constantly, making me feel like my life was falling apart, as well as me having thoughts of suicide. I always put Mr Rogers on to give me some kind of motivation to keep going, but his messages that once resonated so deeply with me began to fade as I slipped further and further away from being "fine". I've gotten a lot better over the past few months though, not perfect but still, and when I heard that a movie starring Tom Hanks as Mr Rogers was being made I did all that I could to see it as fast as possible when it finally came out in the UK (which as of writing this, was yesterday).

The second this film started, the moment Hanks appeared and the music came on, I just completely melted. I almost audibly broke down into tears, but not with sadness, with joy and relief. I knew I was in for something that would grip me. This film is amazing. It focuses on the psychological healing and betterment of the protagonist, Lloyd, as Mr Rogers taps into his childhood and his feelings, the same way he tapped into the feelings of children back when his show was still on the air and back when I watched it a decade ago, and we get a powerful, touching tribute to this man and the impact he had on so many lives. Lloyd himself was not only well acted, but for me anyway I saw a bit of myself in him. Things like his strained relations with family, his overwhelming and blinding cynicism and his anger management are all things I dealt with at some point and still deal with today. So when the film took this character and and put him on this emotional journey to betterment and healing, it resonated so deeply with me that I began to feel as if I was a kid again, watching Rogers as he taught me how to deal with my own anger and to prioritise kindness, and for many people who saw this film, I feel like they experienced the same thing I did. And that's why this movie is so good. It has the same impact and kind-heartedness as Rogers' original show, but turned into an emotional, thoughtful and touching feature-length film that acts as the perfect tribute to Fred's legacy and life. At the end of the day though, the film, while an amazing tribute to Fred, isn't entirely about him. It's about how he saved the life of Lloyd, became one of his closest friends, and helped him heal his psychological wounds. And the perfect way to put this film is this: It's a film that celebrates the messages, kindness and life of Mr Rogers, that acts as a way to show the impact that he had on so many lives, and despite him not being in the film as much as Lloyd, who is the main protagonist of the film, his impact is felt throughout its entire runtime and in every single scene.

Other things as well, the blending of the old Mr Rogers sets with locations in the film was very creative and touching, the acting, especially from Hanks was incredible, the film was perfectly paced and while the score isn't anything to talk about, the parts that do use music are done very well and capture the feel of the scene. The editing might've been a little iffy at points, but that was mainly at the beginning of the film. Overall, it's probably my favourite movie of 2019, even if I did have to wait until 2020 to watch it. If you have not watched it yet, please do. It's absolutely phenomenal.
338 out of 362 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
studioAT17 June 2020
This didn't get much of a theatrical run here in the UK, and possibly gets lost in translation, as we don't really know much about Mr Rogers, whereas in the US he is a massive icon from people's childhoods.

On it's own merits though this is a good film, with two stellar performances from Rhys and Hanks.

A little slow in places, it does contain some wonderful messages, that stayed with me long after the credits rolled.
12 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very intelligently crafted....just make sure you have some Kleenex nearby!
planktonrules8 May 2020
I should warn you about "A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood", the film might be difficult for some viewers. This is because the story is about a troubled relationship between a man and his father...and it may trigger a lot of personal issues for you as well. Now I am NOT saying don't watch it....just be prepared that it might just be tough for you if you are struggling with these sorts of personal issues. And, you might want to have some Kleenex nearby...and perhaps a loved one as well.

The story is not a biopic about Fred Rogers...though he is a major player in the story. Instead, it's a nice story about a reporter who has daddy issues....and his encounters with Rogers did a lot to change his life. At first, they met so that he could write a magazine article about Rogers...but they became friends during this process and Rogers had a huge impact on his life.

The acting and writing are great. Perhaps even better is the direction and script...they are marvelous and it sure shows as you watch this touching movie. Overall, a really effective and terrific story...one you will no doubt enjoy.
35 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stunning Tom Hanks Performance
jlthornb5119 November 2019
A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood is a superb film and one of the most wonderful movie going experiences of my life. Mr. Tom Hanks gives what is nothing less than the performance of a lifetime. Simply incredible. Subtly and with artistry and sensitivity Mr. Hanks becomes Fred Rogers and it's as if the actor himself disappears. Beautifully written and wonderfully directed, this is a motion picture that will live in the hearts of audiences for generations to come. Tom Hanks will rip your heart out and return it to you filled with love and understanding. This is an historic acting accomplishment in a film that will become an instant classic.
146 out of 182 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Beautiful Film
bellasings-4791722 November 2019
I'm going to be honest, I was skeptical of this movie from the start, but boy am I glad I was wrong. I have adored Mister Rogers since I was a young girl & I didn't like the idea of someone else playing him. But Tom Hanks truly embodied Fred's spirit & presence to the point where I almost forgot it wasn't Mister Rogers!

This movie used so many small moments in big ways that were gut-wrenching & raw. It makes you feel seen & exposed in a way that is humbling. Mr. Rogers has always inspired me to grow & become the best version of myself possible & I'm ecstatic that A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood does his name justice. Truly a joy to behold.
358 out of 394 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You'll Know It When It Happens
Jakarejo24 November 2019
The most powerful 60 seconds in cinematic history. The deafening roar of silence.
528 out of 590 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The movie that makes you want to be a better person
pawarankita19 November 2019
364 out of 406 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Wonderful Story of How Mr. Rogers Made the World a Better Place
Jared_Andrews27 November 2019
The Mr. Rogers movie isn't about Mr. Rogers.

It's a story about a man named Lloyd. It's story of how Lloyd met Mr. Rogers, became his friend, and how Mr. Rogers saved Lloyd's life.

Lloyd's life wasn't in danger in the literal sense. Lloyd didn't have a terminal illness for Mr. Rogers to cure. Lloyd didn't have suicidal thoughts for Mr. Rogers to quell. Lloyd's life was in danger in a different sense. He was in danger of losing himself and the things he cared about most.

"A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood" tells the story of how Mr. Rogers helped Lloyd mend his psychological fractures and face the demons that had haunted him since his childhood. Through their relationship, we get a peek behind the curtain of the impact that Mr. Rogers had on the lives of the people he met on a daily basis. He helped many children, of course, but he also helped adults too.

Some viewers may fret over Mr. Rogers' limited screen time in the film and the focus on Lloyd. I disagree. The time we spend with Mr. Rogers is plenty revealing and impactful. Lloyd is a sensible character on which to build a story, because he has glaring flaws and a development arc. The great legacy of Mr. Rogers is all the lives he touched and the good he gave the world. Lloyd's story provides a wonderful example.

Tom Hanks as Mr. Rogers is every bit as perfect as anyone would have guessed. He doesn't try to overplay it by doing an impression, mocking Rogers' body language and the like. What he does is find a way to capture the essence of Mr. Rogers, the beacon of positivity he became. The teacher. The friend. The nicest man in the world.

That doesn't mean Mr. Rogers is perfect. He's not an angel born to be kind. He works on being kind every day. Only through consistent effort and intentionality of goodness does Mr. Rogers achieve his rightfully earned reputation. He serves as an example to all of us that we too can be kind, and we too can live the lives we want to live.

It's perhaps the most inspirational and most important message we'll see at the movies all year.
80 out of 101 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Neighborhood Reflections
Cineanalyst8 March 2020
I didn't grow up with Mister Rogers and so have no nostalgia for the subject of "A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood," and I tend to resist sentimental stories such as this one, but this is a clever and well-constructed piece of filmmaking, especially for a sidelong-glance biopic revolving around a magazine article about a host of a children's television show. Indeed, the writer begins with a puff-piece assignment, but winds up writing a feature mostly about himself. Most of the movie concerns the writer receiving informal therapy from Fred Rogers over his daddy issues instead of interviewing his subject. In a sense, the movie, then, is the one he writes within the very picture itself. It's a nice, if hardly original, construction reflecting the authorship of the narrative, which itself concerns a writer reflecting back upon himself. Director Marielle Heller's last picture, "Can You Ever Forgive Me?" (2018) was likewise about a writer. Yet, the narrative is also framed within the TV program of "Mister Rogers' Neighborhood," and this is where it gets wonderfully creative--not unlike the real TV show, it would seem, which is full of song and music, videos within a Van Gogh painting, puppetry and the fourth-wall-breaking address of Rogers to the audience by directly looking into the camera.

In addition to presenting the writer's story, Rogers becomes the surrogate filmmaker within the movie. Besides overseeing his own show-within-the-show and performing in it, portraying the puppets and playing the piano, he photographs people outside of the sound stage, including for the framing narrative that may or may not be real in the fictional, "inspired by a true story" diegesis. Rogers employs a picture board and a film-within-the-film (or, rather, a video within a painting that is within a TV show, real or dreamed, within a movie) of how magazines are made, as part of his telling of the writer writing his own story. The movie itself continues throughout to reflect the TV show by the alternating of cinematic widescreen and TV-square frame ratios and the use of city models as transitions.

None of this does very well to give one a sense of the real Fred Rogers, though, but that's OK. Casting Tom Hanks in the part is brilliant in this respect, as a celebrity of that calibre always has one thinking of his performance as both Rogers the character and Hanks the star. The one special insight the interviewer manages to get out of his subject is that there's only one Mister Rogers. Rogers the character and Rogers the man are the same, mirror reflections. Sure, he had a private life, but as soon as the picture has him alone for us to see it--him pounding the tell-tale notes on the piano--it fades to black. Just like the interview and the resulting magazine article, "A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood" isn't about him. It's not even really about the magazine writer, or, at least, I don't think that's a very interesting story, trite as it is. This is a movie that reflects back on itself in its construction.

Moreover, it's one that reflects back upon the spectator viewing it--not unlike how the TV program reflected back on the world of the children watching it. The great scene here is the minute of silence Rogers has everyone in a restaurant take, to reflect on those who made themselves who they are. Rogers doesn't only lead these characters in this self-reflection, though; Hanks, outside of Mister Rogers and the TV cameras within the movie, looks right at the otherwise invisible camera recording the movie, through it to us. The power of the moment, then, largely depends on what we bring to it. In this neighborhood, we're encouraged to reflect on ourselves, and, in turn, we're reflected in the neighborhood.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thoughtful and textured
gsygsy18 October 2019
This could so easily have been sentimental Hollywood pap about settling family feuds. Instead, it's a thoughtful, textured contemplation of how we can effectively deal with our expectations, disappointments and imperfections. It is true, as others have pointed out, that the female roles are ciphers, which might be considered a surprising weakness in a film directed by a woman. Nonetheless, Marielle Heller, who did such an excellent job on CAN YOU EVER FORGIVE ME? also steers this movie superbly, handling the performances and the screenplay's playful shifts of tone with great assurance.

The central trio -- Tom Hanks, Matthew Rhys and Chris Cooper -- are reliably terrific.
61 out of 84 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Life changing
BandSAboutMovies31 December 2019
I'm really emotional about the town that I come from, Pittsburgh. When people talk down on it or proclaim how they can't wait to get out of here, I get upset. There's nothing like this city to me and nowhere I go in the rest of this world can really measure up.

A Rick Sebak documentary can bring me to tears. And watching the trailer for this movie, I realized that I'd probably be moved for its entire running time.

I mean, how can you not love Pittsburgh, a city that has given you the 1970's Steelers, probably the roughest gang of brutes that ever took the gridiron; Bruno Sammartino, perhaps the greatest pro wrestler of all time; and also Fred Rodgers, a man who gently helped several generations grow up?

Tom Junod started writing for Esquire in 1997, with some of his notable works including The Abortionist, The Rapist Says He's Sorry and The Falling Man, which was turned in to a documentary. His Esquire profile of Mister Rogers, "Can You Say ... Hero?", was the basis for this movie, written by Micah Fitzerman-Blue and Noah Harpster (who also teamed to write Maleficent: Mistress of Evil).

It's directed by Marielle Heller, who created the films The Diary of a Teenage Girl and the Lee Israel biopic Can You Ever Forgive Me?

Lloyd Vogel (Matthew Rhys) is the award-winning Esquire journalist in this story who stands in for Junod. Recently in The Atlantic, Junod wrote about the differences between reality and the film. He never got in a fistfight with his father at his sister's wedding. You should read that article, marvel at how well-written it is, then come back to read my poor by comparison thoughts on this film. You can also see more of what is true and false in this Slate article.

Tom Hanks plays Rogers and if there's anyone else that should imbue this role, I don't know who it could be. I traveled over an hour to see Mr. Rogers at the age of seven, so excited to be near him. He was just a constant moment of my childhood and there comes a time when we grow past our childhood, in the same way that Lloyd has forgotten his stuffed childhood friend Old Rabbit.

To be honest, I needed to hear from Fred Rogers and consider what his message can still mean today, in a world where anger is the only thing sustaining me most days. I forget all the wonderful things that exist in the world, whether they're as simpler as an Italian direct to video horror movie or the love you get from your wife. This movie succeeds because it imparts that message without feeling preachy. These things just are. You are special, as Mister Rogers told me nearly forty years ago and like that stuffed rabbit that the writer has forgotten, I've forgotten too.

This movie will mean something somewhere else, but it reminds me again of why I love Pittsburgh. Why this city makes me so emotional that my eyes grow wet. Because it's a place that built things at one point. Maybe it was the steel in skyscrapers. Perhaps it was the birthplace of someone like Warhol. Or maybe it was the home to someone like Mister Rogers, who took his Neighborhood of Make-Believe and sent it into our homes and tried to get us ready for the world that would come once he was gone.

It's a dark and frightening place, if I can be perfectly honest with you. There are days where I can't control the shaking in my body because I get so nervous and worried and unable to decide what to do that I have no recourse other than to just shake.

Maybe I should meditate further on this quote from Rogers: "As human beings, our job in life is to help people realize how rare and valuable each one of us really is, that each of us has something that no one else has - or ever will have - something inside that is unique to all time. It's our job to encourage each other to discover that uniqueness and to provide ways of developing its expression."

I don't have any of the answers. But I'm trying. And that's the best we can do. You should see this movie, obviously.
19 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I'm Still Getting Advice From Mr. Rogers
view_and_review24 November 2019
It was a movie about Mr. Rogers so how could I not go see it? From birth until about the age of ten Mr. Rogers and Sesame Street were my primary T.V. programs. Sure, they were supplemented at times by Reading Rainbow, Romper Room, and other PBS shows, but Mr. Rogers and Sesame Street were the staples.

I was expecting a biopic but we got something a little different. Instead of a movie about Mr. Rogers' life from beginning to end, we got a vignette about Mr. Rogers' positive affect on a journalist named Lloyd Vogel (Matthew Rhys).

This movie is more suited for those of us that grew up watching Mr. Rogers. Not that younger viewers can't appreciate the movie, but there won't be the same connection. The moment I saw the low resolution camera shot of his set I felt warm and comfortable as though I was child again watching Mr. Rogers in the comfort of my living room. The nostalgic effect it had on me was worth the price of admission.

The movie moves slow and the conflict in it is tame when compared to other dramas, but potential viewers can be comfortable in knowing that this movie does nothing to sully the good name of Mr. Rogers. If anything, this movie will give viewers a better feeling about the soft spoken sage. There are some humorous moments and some deep moments, but I think every moment was a teaching moment. So, now at age 40+ I found myself listening to the soothing monotone wisdom of Mr. Rogers through the voice of Tom Hanks.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent movie about being a good person
cherold31 May 2020
This is an lovely movie about a journalists encounter with Fred Rogers, a kids' TV host who is the sort of person that can make a cynic believe the goodness of at least some people.

I often find Tom Hanks patented sweetness too sugary, but he hits Rogers beautifully, creating a nuanced portrayal of someone who's not just good but who makes a conscious choice every day to be good.

The movie is funny and charming and well worth watching.
The movie that makes you want to be a better person
khaliljamal038 September 2019
This movie was honestly near perfection. The acting from everyone involved was amazing. Tom Hanks was born to play Mr Rogers. The emotional moments were perfect. This movie came out at the exact right time in our society. This is the exact movie we all need to watch right now about forgiveness and compassion. I absolutely loved it. It was just so so good. Both Mathew and Tom both deserve Oscar recognition for their phenomenal performance. I truly recommend this movie for everyone. It makes you think about yourself.
227 out of 262 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hanks is perfect casting as Mister Rogers
valleyjohn2 March 2020
I've never heard of Fred Rogers . Even though we had many TV imports in the UK from across the pond , Mr Roger's Neighbourhood wasn't one of them .Who better to play the nicest man in show business than the actual nicest man in Show Business! - Tom Hanks

Hanks Stars in the true story of a real-life friendship between Fred Rogers and journalist Tom Junod. After a jaded magazine writer is assigned a profile of Fred Rogers, he overcomes his skepticism, learning about empathy, kindness, and decency from America's most beloved neighbor.

This is a film about cynicism and how to overcome it . It's told in a gentle way , almost like the TV show it's portraying and despite even myself being cynical at the start about Rogers and Junod , I was won over by what i saw .

I have to admit Fred Rogers would wind me up . He feels like he is analysing you at all times but that's just part of his personality. Sometimes his kindliness feels a little bit overbearing and Tom Hanks plays it perfectly.

I enjoyed the performances of Mathew Rhys and Chris Cooper and they made the film absolutely fly by .

One foot note: When I saw the show being portrayed in the film I was instantly reminded of a programme that me eldest son used to love when he was tiny . Bear in the big blue house - I'm not sure if it was meant to be an imitation but even the way the bear spoke directly to the audience was exactly the same as Mister Rogers .
A Very Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood Indeed
ryannhl18 September 2019
A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood is a beautiful feel-good film about Mr. Rogers and the effect he had and will always have on people. It tells the tale of his relationship with Lloyd Vogel (Matthew Rhys), an emotionally jaded reporter tasked to write a profile on him as one of America's heroes (based on the real life story of Tom Junod's relationship with Mr. Rogers).

Tom Hanks absolutely shines as he transforms into the beloved children's show star in a role his career has been perhaps always leading to. Hanks embodies all that is Fred Rogers, from his delicate mannerism to beautifully authentic warmth with others. Hanks pulls at your heartstrings with every word uttered during the film's run.

Tom Hanks, however, is not the only actor to be lauded for his performance, as co-stars Matthew Rhys (Lloyd Vogel) and Chris Cooper (Jerry Vogel) deliver outstanding ones in their own right. The father-son struggle presented in the film allows for each actor to flush out raw emotion that transcends with the audience. Rhys and Hanks too have this tremendous chemistry that has each actor radiating in the scenes they share.

The film brings back many aspects of nostalgia for viewers of the original show as Hanks and company perfectly recreate iconic scenes and moments. The film also does an excellent job intercutting from the show's original 4:3 aspect ratio and 2 camera set up to modern film production. This allows for these scenes to have a unique presentation as we jump from Mr. Rogers' neighborhood to the film. Director Marielle Heller (Can You Ever Forgive Me? (2018)) and writing duo Micah Fitzerman-Blue and Noah Harpster work meticulously to bring Mr. Rogers' world to life, allowing for the film to feel authentic in each and every way.

This film is about Mr. Rogers' impact on one person's life on its surface. However, looking slightly beyond unveils much more in that it is a look at the human condition and Mr. Rogers' exceptional understanding of it. It explains the importance people have in each other's lives and how much we depend on one another, something Mr. Rogers very much understood and exemplified in his life's work. Sometimes you need Mr. Rogers to explain it to you as he always finds a way to make it easy to understand and feel better about. The world could do with more Mr. Rogers and this film shows us just exactly why.
219 out of 257 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Power of Forgiveness in "A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood"
jon.h.ochiai25 November 2019
At the Chinese restaurant in Fred Rogers' beloved Pittsburgh, suffering Lloyd Vogel, played by Matthew Rhys, gets why Mister Rogers likes people like him: He's "broken". Tom Hanks's Fred looks in Lloyd's eyes, "You're not broken." He invites Lloyd to think about the ones, who "loved you into existence".

That's the touching humanity of Director Marielle Heller's "A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood". Yes, the movie isn't perfect. Yet, much like Mister Rogers, it sources from a good space: The power of forgiveness, the power of kindness.

Micah Fitzerman-Blue and Noah Harpster's screenplay is based the friendship of Fred Roger ("Mister Rogers' Neighborhood") and Writer Tom Junod. Tom wrote his Esquire article in 1998 that inspired the narrative. At times, "A Beautiful Day" occurs as nearly allegory, almost fable.

Micah and Noah's narrative surprise: Fred Rogers isn't the conceit. Rather, it's Lloyd's journey. That seems the catharsis of real-life writer Tom Junod. When distraught Lloyd appears in "Neighborhood of Make-Believe" that's indulgent disbelief. That can be forgiven, as well.

Throughout, Tom Hank's poignantly authentic performance as Fred Rogers inspires. Occasionally, Matthew Rhys's relentless anger get wearisome. Yet, Tom's quiet empathy reminds that Lloyd suffers in his unwillingness to just let go.

The movie opens with Mister Rogers in his beloved red sweater asking children at home, "Do you know what forgive means?" That lands. Back when I was one of those kids watching "Mister Rogers'", I felt that he was talking to me. He listened. He actually got me.

"A Beautiful Day" works in Tom's powerful listening, and his authentic vulnerability. Solid Maryann Plunkett as Fred's wife Joanne tells Lloyd that Fred "is not perfect". He doesn't want to be a saint, because that would make him "unattainable". Cynical Lloyd gets that Fred is someone to aspire to be.

Award winning writer Lloyd is a new father. His understanding wife Andrea, played by smart strong Susan Kelechi Watson, forsakes her career to be the stay-at-home Mom.

Lloyd and Andrea attend his sister Lorraine's wedding. Lorraine is played by comically aloof Tammy Blanchard. Lorraine invites their estranged jerk-like Father Jerry, played by believable self-righteous Chris Cooper. The two brawl at the wedding, apparently over Lloyd's late Mother.

Meanwhile, Lloyd, who has the reputation for demonizing interviews, is given an assignment by his Editor Ellen, played by beautiful edgy Christine Lahti. Esquire Magazine is doing a series on American Heroes. Lloyd's assignment: Fred Rogers. Even Andrea warns, "... Please don't ruin my childhood."

Lloyd looks to reveal Fred's darker side. After all, no one can be that good? When they do meet: who is interviewing who? Fred admits he wasn't the best Father to his two sons. He quickly discerns Lloyd's profound suffering. Lloyd tells of the fight with his Father. Fred sighs, "Oh, my..." Tom's visceral well of compassion defines "A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood" as something special.

"A Beautiful Day" is about letting go of the anger that hides our fear. Forgive others as we forgive ourselves. Much like watching "Mister Rogers' Neighborhood" back when I was 6 years old, there's a lesson. Tom's Fred thoughtfully speaks about the nature of death. He says, "Anything mentionable is manageable." Amen.

"A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood" might not be perfect, which it never intends to be. Yet, it speaks to the power of forgiveness, the power of kindness. Forgiveness and kindness are the enduring legacy of Fred Rogers. Just saying.
32 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
a beautiful day in the neighborhood
marmar-6978025 November 2019
Honestly for me a beautiful day in the neighborhood is mediocore as a film and if i have to choose i would rather watch documentry that come out last year over this but saving grace as we all expected was tom hanks as fred rogers who kills it with this role you could even say that he was even better at playing fred rogers then fred rogers himself,every scene hanks sold it with his likebelite and charisma ,and he gets a nomination for awards it wont be undeserved
35 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Timely Message About Forgiveness and Redemption
rannynm18 November 2019
It's definitely A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood when Tom Hanks portrays the iconic Mister Rogers. The message is timely and needed now more than ever. This movie is not what I expected. You learn about Mr. Rogers' through his relationship with a man who didn't want to be his friend or neighbor. It's a message that we all need to hear.

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood is based on a true life story about the relationship that develops between Fred Rogers and a cynical reporter who is loath to interview him for a piece on American heroes. In the movie, the reporter is Lloyd Vogel (Matthew Rhys) who gives an amazing performance. Through his interactions with Fred Rogers (Tom Hanks), Vogel begins to understand that part of him is broken. The healing process begins as their friendship develops and you see Fred Rogers teaching him to understand, accept and voice his emotions and feelings. It is beautiful. Tom Hanks is masterful in this role at bringing out the transformation of his friend.

In addition to Tom Hanks and Matthew Rhys, the cast has other powerful performances, notably Chris Cooper who plays Lloyd's dad, Jerry Vogel. Christine Lahti, as Lloyd's Editor Ellen, pushes him to work on the hero piece and adds a touching element to the movie as well. The film is directed by Marielle Heller and written by Micah Fitzerman-Blue and Noah Harpster. Music plays an important role in this movie and is by Nate Heller. The scenes of Mr. Rogers playing the piano along with the behind-the-scenes of the television show during filming of Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood are particularly moving.

The message of this film is that anyone can change the world with words. It's a powerful message that we often forget. Listen and think before you speak, as your words impact others. Fred Rogers finds a positive way to help others express their feelings, which is not an easy thing to do, although he makes it look easy. Forgiveness and redemption are another theme in this film.

I rate this film 4.5 out of 5 stars and recommend it for ages 4 to 18 and adults will love it as well.

Reviewed by Selene W., KIDS FIRST! Film Critic. For more reviews by youth, visit kidsfirst dot org.
31 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Powerful and Moving. A Film Everyone Needs to See
wesleyarledge-8683622 November 2019
I just saw this wonderful movie on opening night, a film based on the true life friendship Fred Rogers had with reporter Tom Junrod (called Lloyd Vogel in the film) and his family, and how their relationship changed Junrod's outlook on life.

What a powerful, beautiful, moving, and heartfelt film! I'm not ashamed to admit that it actually did move me to tears, and happy tears at that. Tom Hanks shines as the kindly ordained minister turned children's show host! Possibly not since Forrest Gump has Tom Hanks delivered a finer performance. This is a film that we all need right now. It's a movie that spreads further Mister Roger's message of self love, love for others, and the power of forgiveness. It really leaves you wanting to be a better person.

The film also highlights how Fred Rogers' faith in Jesus Christ let him be a shining light to everyone. Not just children either. He truly was a servant of Christ, and the film honors that and highlights just how big of an impact he had on others. He truly cared for everyone. This is a superb piece of cinema that everyone should see. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed this film! Excellent job done by everyone involved! I really loved it!!
77 out of 103 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mr Rogers would be proud
hfreinoso22 November 2019
I.......I don't have any words. I love this movie. I.....I just don't know what to say. I never thought this movie makes me want to be like Mr. Rogers.This film is just beautiful. This film makes me want to cry. He was a man who was nothing but pure heart. I saw his TV shows and all of them are beautiful. I cried about everything in this movie. I just couldn't stop crying. I love the fact that Tom Hanks did nothing but a phenomenal job doing Fred Rogers. Everything about this movie I had no complains. This movie makes ME FEEL something.....HAPPINESS. I LOVE this movie. I don't know what to say this movie was made for Mr. Rogers himself. Please go watch this movie. Please give this money so the studio can do more movies like this. The Director needs to do more movies like this. Even if you saw it already see it again. This movie is beautiful. Please. Support a movie like this. Please I LOVE THIS movie near dear to my heart. I never cared about watching action movies or cared about racing or people with powers. I care about people being PEOPLE. I hope Mr Rogers watches this in heaven and not only appreciate it. But will say that was what the neighborhood made for me. (Trust me I think he will be more than just proud). 10/10
56 out of 86 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A glimpse at how Fred Rogers did have positive impacts on people.
TxMike7 March 2020
My wife and I watched this at home on BluRay from our public library. It is not a Fred Rogers biography, there is an excellent one that came out in 1998 called "Won't You Be My neighbor" and it covers his whole life.

This movie, where Fred Rogers is considered the supporting character, focuses on a reporter and author given an assignment to write a very short piece for the November 1998 edition of Esquire magazine. In the process he gets to know Fred Rogers more deeply and their interactions changes his life. Fred Rogers was 70 in 1998 and only had five more years before he died from stomach cancer.

Tom Hanks, who was nominated for Best Supporting Actor, is Fred Rogers. Mrs Rogers, still alive, says Hanks was her husband's favorite actor. And more recent information reveals Fred and Tom are 6th cousins.

Welsh actor Matthew Rhys plays the author, Lloyd Vogel, which is actually a fictional creation. The real writer is Tom Junod who requested the character name be changed because the story in the movie deviates significantly from his own life. It is loosely based off of the profile Junod wrote and follows the friendship that emerges from it.

The other amazing role was Chris Cooper as Jerry Vogel, the estranged dad of the writer. As an example of a deviation from reality the fight at the wedding did not happen in real life.

All in all a very good movie, and the extras on the disc are very interesting. As an example the scene where Fred and Lloyd take a minute of silence to remember all those who helped them in their lives, all the restaurant patrons were people connected to Fred, including his widow and many crew members from the original Mr Rogers shows.

Also, look up the November 1998 Esquire article online, it is worth a read.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More Rogers, Less Gimmicks
actaction26 November 2019
6 outta 10 - Just okay, maybe see.

I disagree with critics and majority of people that this was a great film. Feels more like a PBS acid trip, than a careful exploration of what it means to be a real hero. Tom Hanks is great, but is barely in the film, much like Hannibal Lector in Silence of the Lambs we eagerly await his every witty quip or anecdote & wish for his next scene only to realize he is more a plot device than a flesh and blood character. Yet, the film keeps telling you he is not perfect, keeps hinting there is more to know, but coldly stops and gets lost in a much much less interesting story of someone whom he helps. Replace Mr Rogers with any wise-figure (Santa Claus for example) and little would change... very small efforts are made to give Mr Rogers enough time to develop himself more than what we can figure out from watching him on tv. We're supposed to just accept he really was a nice guy (which I don't doubt) and never supposed to ask for a full backstory. The film even muses how the article being written (and by association, the film which is based on it) isn't even about Mr Rogers... as if they delight you've been fooled. I'd be fine with this if any other character was remotely believable (and it's based on a true story... so you know they are real). Instead this $50M film feels super cheaply made (except for A List Tom Hanks). Every character says exactly what they mean every second of the time, having zero depth or nuance and are painted in broad strokes, despite the Mr Rogers character being one of the most intriguing real people ever on television. Eventually the plot just gives up and gets stuck in the gimmick of this being just another episode of Mr Rogers, having Hanks talk to the camera as the real guy did. It's cute at first, but once you realize the entire film will keep going back to this, doesn't have the staying power or the lack of distraction as Forrest Gump's storytelling narrator had. Hanks tries, but the whole niche feels clichè and hackneyed. There are some genuine good moments in the film... a death bed scene, a couple of good moments with Rogers (most of which are in the trailer). I still think it's best to skip this and watch the hit documentary Won't you Be My Neighbor, made last year on a micro budget. It had me in tears. This one, had me looking at my watch as the two hour Rogers episode kept up the gimmick. Sorry, didn't like it.
117 out of 196 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Can You Say...Wonderful?
CubsandCulture23 December 2019
I think people should know that going into this film that it is not really a biopic of Fred Rogers. He isn't even the main character. If you are looking for a film that is much more about the man's life "Won't You Be My Neighbor?" is the better fit. This film is more about how Fred Roger's worldview really helped out a reporter work through some interpersonal baggage. On that level it is a wonderful exquisitely humane story of one human helping another. Rogers' radical decency is demonstrated in this film; in all its facets as well. Lloyd's struggles with how Rogers *is* just feel correct. Rhys gives a striking performance of Llyod that has a quiet power to it. This is the sort of very mature drama that is missing from the cinemas. It is a wholesome film and I think Rogers would be very appreciative of it

Heller and her screenwriter make a very bold choice of framing the story as an episode of Mr. Rogers show. It gives the film a playful energy that counterbalances the gravity of Lloyd's personal story while being playful in the way Rogers was. The film doesn't simplify the material to make it easier to process and there is a pretty big ambiguity at the end of film that provides the story with emotional power. The film makes sure to not present Rogers as an infallible human being. There is a quiet Christian feeling to the whole thing; The film could have been called putting the gospel into practice.

Hanks is rather good as Mr. Rogers despite the physical and vocal differences. Best he isn't doing a straight impression of Rogers. (The King Friday voice is especially different) Instead Hanks finds a comfortable middle ground of doing a light impression while shaping his choices for dramatic effect. Hanks' own persona of a decent human being goes a long way to make up his performance and it was a well cast part.

This is one of the best films of the year.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.