Be My Cat: A Film for Anne (2015) Poster

Cult Classic
The_Movie_Archive14 April 2021
Really unique concept, and an overall genius found footage movie. The method acting and improvisation are very well done- and the dialogue is also quite poetic, feeling like every line could nearly be it's own tagline slogan. The film is funny, dark, entertaining and innovative. It's also made for Anne Hathaway. A must watch in my book.
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Delightfully disturbing
kimmee-517 November 2020
I loved this movie! The theme is one I haven't seen done often. The main character is creepily talented; it doesn't feel like he is acting. The film is unnerving in its intimacy; making you, the audience, feel like the target/part of the film. If you're into found footage, or just unique horror in general I definitely recommend this film.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An amazing depiction of the unravelling of the mind
beautifullybroken-4749510 November 2020
This movie made me uncomfortable..and that's exactly what I wanted. There aren't many movies that get me to that point but the way Tofei portrays an unhealthy obsession with a celebritythat doesn't know he exists is so unnerving. He speaks to the camera as if he thinks she is listening. He loses a little bit of sanity as the scenes go on. Such an amazing, realistic portrayal of mental illness.
9 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A surprisingly good film especially for found footage fans
amanda-252-93768817 August 2021
I had not heard of this film, but watched it following a recommendation in a FF group. I expected a foreign language film, but though it is set in Romania with Romanian actors, it is in English and made for an American audience (I'm an Aussie). The main actor is also the director, editor, sound engineer, etc etc and his passion for his film is what makes this well worth the watch. I would liken the central character to Josef/Aaron in the Creep series, he is that kind of weird but friendly but unnerving guy who just doesn't seem right and this is what makes it work so well. Definitely worth a watch and I'm interested to see what else he does. .
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Found footage at its best
gallai3659 April 2015
I had the opportunity to check Be My Cat, and it is pretty difficult to describe the film. Not often am I up to watch a thriller like this as I wouldn't say we are talking about a horror. Indeed, it has its elements, but rather one has to deal with a clever psycho- thriller.

Adrian Tofei is an OK writer as I think he unfortunately wrote extremely naive girls into his script. He is a good director as the "film-in-a-film" concept works pretty well. But he is a superb actor. Period. I was amazed by some of his monologues and the chemistry between Alexandra Stroe and him. By the way, the two should be discovered soon as actors. The last 15 minutes they did together was more than fascinating.

Unfortunately, negative points arose as well as some effects - yes, blood - could have been better and after I finished the movie, I had a funny feeling, Mr Tofei might have forgotten to finish his movie in a proper way.

Even if you are fed up with found footage genre, you should give a chance to Be My Cat. Nicely acted, well-executed and memorable scenes what it can offer. An innovative, brave and groundbreaking film.
37 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Found footage movie magic
elgergo26 July 2015
As far as I can remember Be My Cat is the very first Romanian movie I have ever seen in my life. At first I did not even know what to expect from the film. After 87 minutes I was completely amazed!

One of the most courageous and stunning elements of this production is Adrian Tofei. The way he portrays the protagonist of the film is amazing. You never really know what to think about his character…at first you think he is just an innocent filmmaker from a small town who tries to pursuit his dreams. Even the camera-work and the found footage style itself strengthen this idea in you.

Sometimes you just laugh on his actions but somehow they remind you all the things you did in the past as an amateur filmmaker. Sometimes you are shocked because of him. It is really difficult to play such a complex role as this but Mr. Tofei did that without any mistake.

Let me talk about the female characters. Both Sonia Teodoriu and Florentina Hariton did a great job and did their best to portray their characters however unfortunately they were written a little bit too naive. On the other hand Alexandra Stroe and the last 15-20 minutes between her and Mr. Tofei was fascinating. That was the part of the film when I really saw a strong bond between the two characters and it made Ms. Stroe the most powerful female character in the motion picture.

As the previous review mentioned before, the visual effects – fake blood – were unfortunately not so well made and the ending of the film could have been done in other ways.

All in all, Be My Cat is a very brave, original, well-executed film with memorable scenes and a fantastic protagonist but what is the greatest achievement it has gained is its existence. Adrian Tofei and his crew proved that you can do movie magic without millions of dollars but with creativity and commitment to your work and that can raise hope for every independent filmmaker all over the world.
29 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disturbing insight into fandom
singhlall31 May 2020
An original and disturbing film which is done pretty well about a fan of Anne Hathaway in Romania and his obsession. If you want to watch something different then this will be perfect.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If Misery were a found footage film
jazzydonald-9095826 January 2022
I won't spoil anything, but I think this film is in the same vein as "Misery." Both films are about the dangers of parasocial relationships. I think "Be My Cat" is scarier. The first reason is because Adrian's obsession causes him to do a lot more horrendous stuff. The second is because the film is found footage, so it adds to the realism. There are people out there who are just like Adrian. People who think they're entitled to a celebrity's love and attention, even though the celebrity doesn't even know they exist. There could be an Adrian in my own neighborhood, and I wouldn't know it until it's too late.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Anne Hathaway's favourite film.
ocosis31 August 2021
Adrian Tofei directs, and also plays the main character Adrian. And boy is Adrian a messed up freak. Creepy, psychotic, delusional, and pretty disgusting to boot. But captivating.

Be My Cat is a solid and effective step forward in found footage horror.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
At last, a piece of art that adds to the flooded found footage genre.
itrevorallen16 December 2020
Is this film perfect? Absolutely not. Is this film good? Absolutely! Great? That's for you to decide, however I loved the flick and I'm sure select others will as well.

It's quite rare a found footage movie introduces a new theme into the flooded "low budget", "starting director", "easy out" punching bag of a genre FF has become. With that being said, this movie certainly shakes things up, adding a brand new perspective. The realism of the movie is shocking and encompasses a sophistication not shared my many other films. Psychologically thrilling with an appropriate amount of gore / sadism, lacking any "over the top" undesirable rubbish (yes, I'm talking about you Extreme genre of filmography).

The average viewer may not be attracted to this, and yes, a bit of depravity can be found within this 87min of entertainment.

Plot : 8/10 Script : 9/10 Acting : 7/10 Gore : 6/10 (but I'm a bit of a gore hound)

Overall I will rate this at 7/10, as I do feel there's some room for improvement.

Cannot wait to see what director/actor Adrian Tofei has in store for us.
13 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disturbing
jeffery1125 July 2020
A nasty film for fans of Gaspar Noe and the film Man Bites Dog in particular. Avoid if you don't like realistic or extreme horror.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun concept, an uneasy watch in all the right ways
jtindahouse20 August 2021
As I was watching 'Be My Cat: A Film for Anne' all I kept wondering was whether Anne Hathaway was actually aware of this movie's existence, and if so, how she felt about it. Because it's a pretty messed up little film. Most found footage films attain a very credible sense of realism, but something about this felt especially so. A messed up guy making a messed up film in order to get Anne Hathaway to star in his movie. That's a concept and a half.

The main actor in this movie Adrian Tofei (also writer/director) was oddly compelling. I couldn't look away even though I very often wanted to. He did a very good job.

Most found footage films tend to be quite slow and uneventful and are ultimately building up to a big pay-off ending. This one is different. Because of its unique structure it has shocking moments spread evenly throughout. 'Be My Cat: A Film for Anne' is a film that will leave you feeling dirty and grimy in all the right ways. This one is worth a look.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
For found footage fans
SpicyRamenDude26 August 2020
As one reviewer says it's for found footage fans. At first I found the main character to be annoying and no charm but pushed through to see what will happen. I kinda got used him and found him funny at times. There is no "seen" gore which is sometimes the payoff in these films so it's okay. It's a 5.5 than 6 for me.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mm not memorable
iam_theeridan3 September 2018
Honestly this movie isn't for everyone. I guess if you are a fan of found footage type movies this might work for you but personally i dont like it at all. There is a plot but not really; a man wants a famous actress to be in his movie and uses local actresses to showcase his script....choas ensues.

It's fairly original I'll give it that, but it is quite boring and not really memorable. I was thinking about it right now a few months after watching it and wondered "What the heck even happened?" It's just a bit all over the place and not really in a good way. The acting was decent and for a found footage film the camera work was actually pretty decent as well. One of the few films of its type not to give me a migraine from how badly it shakes around.
5 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Entertaining but annoying
michael-hart19899 September 2021
Really good story, premise & delivery but the main character is just too annoying for me. I get it's displaying the descent into madness but a couple of the repetitive monologues go on way too long.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bizarre but only sometimes successful
Jeremy_Urquhart2 July 2022
When I first found out about Be My Cat, I felt weirdly compelled to check it out, based on its unsettling poster and the out there premise. Said premise is that there's a guy in Romania who's really obsessed with Anne Hathaway, and he sets out to make a movie that he hopes she'll see, and feel compelled to meet him as a result.

It's done on an extremely low budget and in a found footage/mockumentary style. That's the best thing about the movie for a while, as with the early scenes, there's a good deal of mystery about what exactly is going on in the main character's mind, and the look of the film and acting makes it feel uncomfortable- some points very early on, I was even second guessing whether certain things were staged or not, which make me pretty uneasy.

But it comes apart as it goes on. Once the more extreme horror elements come into play, any mild doubt around what's real and what isn't completely evaporates, and it made me wish this had stayed in the realm of a psychological drama rather than more of a horror-thriller.

Still, it's not a total mess, as there are interesting ideas and some good parts early on, but it doesn't sustain itself well for the whole runtime, and I felt it definitely became weaker and less engaging in its second half, too.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No plot, no structure, no acting
matthewhemmings7 June 2018
I like indie's, found footage, horror and anything not from the Hollywood/American meat grinder. I'm a big horror fan and understand that low budgets, odd choices by the characters and sometimes questionable acting are just part of the package.

This is not a good film. This is not a good bad film.

There is essentially no plot. No structure or acts that I could discern.

You expect shaky camerawork on a found footage, but for a large portion of the movie's finale the camera isn't actually pointing at anything.

I wanted to give it 3/10 because I'm nice, as a piece of 'cinema' it deserves 1/10. 2/10 sits right in the middle.

Kudos to what's-his-name for managing to push this through to completion. The lack of a plot, structure or narrative clearly didn't hold him back.

M
13 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I wanted to like this film but.....
hawkeye_almond26 June 2021
I really wanted to like this film but, horror, FF and psychological thrillers are something that I usually enjoy very much. Movies like creep and it's sequel must have ruined me as far as the standard for this type of film goes. The acting was not believable even as horror and FF films go.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Promising for the first 20 minutes, but then becomes a babbling monologue until the end.
mortradio29 September 2021
Before anything else, allow me to say that Adrian Tofei is able to convey the creepiness of an unhinged stalker drowning in his own fantasies of delusional fandom. He definitely has the look, with bald head, skinny body, teeth that are yellowed and stained slightly, and a mouth that seems to have a little bit too much saliva flowing inside it. After about 10 minutes of on-screen time, you know that Adrian Tofei is a creepy character.

So by the time his first "victim" comes into the film, you are waiting for what you think will be a pretty disturbing film.

But it's not.

For the next hour and fifteen minutes, you watch Adrian Tofei ramble on about wanting to turn Anne Hathaway into a cat (which will then metamorphize him as well), and other lunatic ramblings. There is another "victim" that dies, but the violence of her death is hidden by a white sheet. The violence of her death is only conveyed by her screaming at the camera (It should be mention that at one point of her killing, two men appear to investigate the screaming, and Adrian Tofei simply explains that he is making a horror film, which the two men accept as reasonable and leave....huh?).

In the end, Adrian Tofei realizes that he is ready to "direct" Anne Hathaway in his film, and corner's he third and final "victim". Holding a steak knife (yes, it really is a steak knife), he explains to his "victim" about his devotion to Anne Hathaway, and that he really doesn't want to kill his "victim", but he will if he has to (he does explain that he will have to kill his mother, though). The film ends with Adrian Tofei's third "victim" walking into a closet and promising that she will not call the police until 10 minutes have passed. Adrian Tofei giggles and gives his thanks.

And that's it.

The film fails mainly because nothing happens. Yes, it is obviously documenting the descent of a man into madness (ala Richardo Lopez), but as creepy as Adrian Tofei is, you really see no descent. As I said earlier, you already know he is a bit off-balanced within the first 10 minutes of the film. Actually, the film would have worked better if it had been more loosely based on the Richardo Lopez case. Alas, it did not do this, though, and fails miserably at telling the tale of fandom that leads to madness.

The film is not a good "found footage" film.

The film is not a good "horror" film.

The film is not a good film.
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Most deserving 1 I ever gave
mariusica31 May 2020
I did end up watching it all so I can have a complete picture. It's awful beyond words, bad acting, bad dialogue, worse script. Can't imagine what twisted minds (except the creator) agreed to support this effort. The only thing I liked was the end song. I hope Anne never sees or even hears about this film (and that is from Romania).
5 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.