Sniffer (2013) Poster

(2013)

This isn't a movie, it's AN ART
norad-6515726 November 2020
One word, this movie is an ''ART'' I love everything about it. Breathtakingly beautiful cinematography. Melancholic background score. Adorable friendship. Incredible performance of Nawaz.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A COMPLETE ARTHOUSE FILM.
sujan-2869225 November 2020
One word that can describe this film is - Beautiful. Two best things of this film are cinematography by Diego Romero & of course the direction of Buddhadev Dasgupta. Every frame is captured beautifully. The film is all about Self-exploration.

All the actors portrayed their characters in a very natural way. There are many characters who appeared only for few mins, but you'll love all the characters equally. Anwar & Lalu is one of the best Duos I've seen in films. Our favourite Farrukh Jafar is lovable. Hope to see Ananya Chatterjee & Adarsh (Character name) more in future. Highly recommending to watch this film, it'll surely not disappoint you.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Even Nawazuddin and Pankaj tripathi could'nt save it
cseabhi28 November 2020
You rarely come across boring movie of Nawazuddin and this was unfortunately that boring movie which you want to leave in the middle. The intent and the philosphical nature of the cinema is understandable but still I was unable to relate to a single frame in the movie.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie takes my understanding of cinema/story-telling to a whole new place. I don't yet know the adjective that can justify the experience.
An_OkIndividual21 November 2020
Every frame of the film starting from the chariot and ending at the sweet little dance felt precious, and so the film did exceptionally well to keep the viewer engaged throughout it's length. I personally am surprised and disappointed at the amount of negative reviews I am seeing on the web and hence feel a reason to shout out and express my gratitude towards the team of people that made this film. Thank you so very much.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No nepotism..... Bollywood rocks
abhicoolbhati20 November 2020
Star kids first learn how to act in movies and learn from the best in the business
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Masterpiece
rajeev-verma8528 November 2020
Have not seen such a lamb boring and idiotic content in decades
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why it is underrated?
mfarhanbadar18 December 2020
The director and Nawazuddin Siddiqui create a lovely, beautiful, and beguilingly poetic chronicle of life, people, places, spaces, loneliness, togetherness, longing, belonging, allusions, reality, faith, fate, and more. I'm glad I watched it.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Anwar ka Ajab Kissa
drmrinaljha1 December 2020
I had known that Bengali film auteur Buddhadeb Dasgupta had made a hindi language movie with Nawazuddin. But the film never released commercially, and I only got to see it a few days ago online. Despite the laurels of the filmmaker, I have to agree that the movie is uneven, rough in many parts. And yet what drew me to it was the character of Anwar. He's a small-time private detective, sent by his boss in pursuit of unfaithful wives and missing husbands. As he wanders through the streets of Kolkata, and sometimes through nondescript villages of Bihar, with his rather ridiculous coat and sunglasses, his life has none of the glamour or thrill that we associate with private detectives on screen. Instead, his investigations often lead to uncomfortable truths, about a life that he struggles to understand. He is society's quintessential misfit, comfortable only in the confines of his humble flat, with his loyal dog and a bottle of rum. His boss does not want him to get 'too involved in his cases', his clients don't want inconvenient truths, his neighbours consider him a sad excuse of a human. To escape an increasingly confusing reality, he uses his imagination to take him to the security of a childhood long past, and of young love long gone by. It is in his reveries that he gains the fortitude to survive that which is real. In his final case, he comes across a man who has given up a seemingly normal life that no longer makes sense to him. In him Anwar finds hope, of finding his own true self, bereft of the expectations of society, and the absurdities that enslave us. And in this he gives us, the viewers, a chance to think about our own lives, and the terms on which we choose to live it.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tripathi + Nawaz + Small Budget + Unknown Director NOT ALWAYS MEAN A Great Movie
tarun-bhargava9029 January 2021
I was going through Anupama Chopras list of "Best Movies of 2020" on Youtube and came across this movie in the the list people had put up in their comments . The trailer on Youtube suggested it to potentially be an offbeat movie somewhere tucked away in the closet of many great movies released in Indian movie scene this year. I chased it down to Eros Now and although I didn't have a membership , I thought this movie itself could be good value for 49 bucks I will pay for it as I was hopeful for it to be atleast as good as to deserve 49 bucks , if not more, with the number of people mentioning it on Film Companion's aforementioned youtube video. I went through the movie only to be utterly disappointed . This movie seemed to be straight out of the ''Ankho Dekhi" school of cinema, an utterly slow and boring affair comprising of talented actors with apparently some 'great meaning of life' etched into the story that me for heavens sake can't wrap my head around.But why were so many people praising it on Youtube vehemently ? My experience after watching Ankho Dekhi, another movie that I consider to be making the same attempt in making the viewer contemplate 'the meaning of life', had been the same. I have had many people tell me great things about that movie too. I can only think of one explanation for the adulation movies like this tend to get from seemingly logical people. In my opinion, movies like these are trying too hard to appear 'arthouse' , 'offbeat' , 'deeply meaningful', with their slow pace of screenplay, their transformation from one listless scene to seemingly unrelated equally listless another, their protagonists who are always looking for 'the meaning of life', that even when one finishes watching these hodgepodge of meandering storylines , the sheer contemplation of life in every single scene and dialogue makes the viewer think that he got some meaning out of it when in reality there is none to be had if you look at the movie as a whole. The only lingering thought after watching a movie like this is always the directors' and writers' blatant attempt to convey that this movie is about 'meaning of life' by stuffing everything they could play with (the dialogues , the actors, the story etc) with the same , the protagonists attempt to get the 'meaning of life'. And don't get me wrong, I consider myself to have a great appetite for what people call 'offbeat' , 'arthouse cinema'. I can sit through hours of slow-moving cinema, even in languages I dont understand, and that nobody has even heard the name of. In my opinion the best and most successful among these kind of movies (Ship of Thesus for example) are those whose creators are concerned about creating a whole that makes people think about deep recesses of human life and emotions, but are not too concerned to fill every tool they have (i.e the dialogue, screenplay and storyline) with the same. They fill the movie with content that finally amalgamates and conveys that meaning as an entity rather than filling the movie with scenes where plethora of dialogue focuses on the same with the result being the movie conveying nothing more than the individual scenes. Finally the viewers have to understand that just because you put a Pankaj Tripathi or a Nawazuddin Siddiqui in a movie doesn't make a movie great .Just because the trailer depicts a slow-paced 2 hour movie about small town life doesn't make it great. Movies like these are an utter waste of range of talent people like Nawaz have . I don't see any other reason apart from monetary that someone like him would do this righteous and self piece of utter garbage that this movie is.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really ajab kissa
sameerlodaya21 November 2020
Don't know where to start

I saw the movie Because nawaz and pankaj tripathi were a part

But there is not even a single scene of this movie worth watching

No acting no story no direction and there is no for everything

Don't waste your time
4 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Acting and direction are just awesome
krishanudash22 November 2020
Watch this movie not to get entertained but only to understand how a story is made into a movie masterpiece.Nawazuddin at his best he is true natural actor . Watch it to be lost in a different world of acting .
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you like Ruskin bond book, don't miss this masterpiece
omdroindia22 November 2020
After long time Bollywood gifted a masterpiece.

Cons.. Very very Slow pace. Lack of story.

Pros.. Acting from most of the cast.. Nawaz rocks.. Rest cast excellent selection. Cinematography. Brilliant. Long shots amazing.. Never seen such brilliant work in Hindi cinema.. Background artists.. Excellent work from director.

Music superb.

Its not for mass or a family entertainer movie.

It's a masterpiece Art movie If you like Ruskin bond book don't miss this film.
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why Nawaz Sir and Pankaj Sir
kumaraashish-1457531 December 2020
Total Waste of Time, I just want to know from these two legends Nawaz sir and Pankaj sir why you both did this movie. Slow Movie and Baseless story. When we thought about Detective, First thought came in mind about sherlock homes, and nawaz Sir did totally opposite from it. Save yourself from this movie
Schizophrenia Best explained
kudaveharshad29 December 2020
I kid u not this is Gem Must watch movie for film students and critical story admirers
Really masterpiece
adeel-baloch7125 November 2020
It's really an art. You need high level mind for understanding this film. People who rated 1* really don't have any taste in these kind of films.
Wooooo
wasimbulbul23 November 2020
Awasome.... The great story. Awesome BGM✊✊✊✊✊👆👆✊
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Indeed a Masterpiece (great fusion of pure art & direction)
usamaafzaal18 February 2021
This movie can't be of everyone's choice because it doesn't base on dreamy unreal world where everything is fun and entertainment. This movie shows a very nice helping soul in a real world with its ugly truths.

Must Watch for those who feel alone or left alone and want to escape from this unrealistic world. Want to remember your beautiful happy memories and places? this movie is for you. 9/10
IGNORE ALL REVIEWS
debayan-bhattacharjee25 January 2021
Don't make any conclusion before watching this masterpiece. Certainly your eyes might be arrested by this spectacle. It's an 'Ajab' performance with outlandish 'kissa'.

Hats off.....Mr. Buddhadev Dasgupta.....true artistry
Soul searching
saad-mahmood-khan5 January 2021
I have never scored a movie 9. This is the one. Leaves you in the paradigm where reality and imagination boundary is blurred
Different kind of movie
shovondip-508818 December 2020
The storyline of this movie is different. The acting is also superb.
Outstanding and mastermind film
z-747675 December 2020
I saw this kind of movie for the first time in my life.I am not skilled and knowledgeable about the subject in the film but the performance of each character in the film is really outstanding
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good movie on life of sniffer
dy3849320 November 2020
It is a dark comedy movie about the life of a sniffer Nawazuddin has done its best the movie is great to watch.
0 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.