Into the Ashes (2019) Poster

Excellent work, gnawing sonics and brooding views...
lightbeing-4826120 July 2019
Personally I felt the musical score gripped me. The dramatic sequences were suspenseful, quite minimalist, yet perhaps small town America is minimalist, bland, bleak and inhospitable.... There were parts that made me feel like I was watching a horror movie, not in the sense of monsters of course, but monstrous things people do and somehow; a force of nature that enables vengeance for broken people.
27 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thriller
lateniteandy20 July 2019
This old style thriller leaves you hanging. Very Hitchcock and Kubrick, opening is citizen kane in reverse, we want to know what is the past, but all we get is the end. Robert Wagner pulls off a perfect Longmire in another life, This movie isn't for relaxing, it's for the old style movie buff who loves a great suspense, drama, mystery.
24 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Zzzzzz
patterg20 July 2019
Very slow. starts going then slows again. Wasted most of my night to
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
it's all about expectations
mister_sep20 July 2019
The amount of negative reviews here is astonishing. Expectations people. This isn't the new No Country For Old Men. Grillo performs well, as usual. Luke Grimes is good. Is it predictable? Sure. It's a fun movie to watch. It's well shot. Acting is fine.
11 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Decent - coming from a novice filmmaker, but way too slow, with no reward.
TheTopDawgCritic20 July 2019
This is novice writer and director Aaron Harvey's only 3rd full length feature film (other 3 are shorts), and he managed exceptionally well behind the camera, but failed in directing his cast, as they were way too bland and boring - except for Grillo, who is naturally high-strung and the only one that created any suspense in this film.

The writing was very sub-par with nothing new we haven't seen before - small town revenge flick *yawns*. Any reference to Hitchcock or Citizen Kane, is an insult to those films, and clearly a fake review. With the long dragged out and unnecessary scenes with a pace slower than a snail for 95% of the film, the 98 min length felt like 2+ hours. There was almost no suspense or surprises, and the entire film was predictable, even with it's failed attempt at the flash-back scenes, the "who done it", and the "come to your own conclusion" ending. There was almost zero character development or backstory. This type of writing is more at the level of a sophomore film student project. Had Aaron Harvey hired a seasoned screenwriter to edit his script, this film would have been more enjoyable.

The biggest plus for me was the exceptional score. Had it not been as good as it was, I would have fallen asleep. For that matter, the score was too good in creating suspense and tension, that never really came into fruition. The cinematography was also great.

Even though it had some all-star B-grade actors, they couldn't help this C-grade production. I'm still giving this film a very generous 6/10, only because it was put together by a novice filmmaker (thus somewhat excusable for its flaws - they have to start somewhere, right?), it clearly was low budget, it had a decent cast, and an exceptional score.
16 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Decent small town thriller drama
yvesdemaria23 July 2019
If you like small town drama movies you should find this one good enough.

This genre has been done a lot so of course there are some cliches and things you saw before but it still gets by pretty well.

There are one or two things which are totally unbelievable and I cannot understand why the director / writer put them there as the movie is kind of realistic without crazy nonsense, so those one or two things are really really stupid, even if he loves his wife he is a man with a normal body not superman.

4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very slow burn indie thriller
nonsensefans21 July 2019
There's a bunch of great cast over here, so the acting are great..However the script are not good enough and storyline are too slow.. The higher rating are for all those great actors that I love, From Robert Taylor (Longmire), Frank Grillo (I watch every piece he's in), Luke Grimes (Yellowstone), James Badge Dale ( my love) !
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A very dull Revenge flick
hampersnow-2890520 July 2019
Frank Grillo is one of the stars of this so I knew I had to watch it and honestly I wanted to like it. There are several positives to this movie, it's well-shot, there is plenty of atmosphere, some realistic dialogue and it's well cast, the acting is great. On the flip side, do we really need another small southern town revenge drama and in this case a completely unremarkable , slow, boring and dull one ? There are so many shots and individual scenes that go on way too long, the movie is padded with scenes that add atmosphere but no interest. If you cut them out this movie would be 15 minutes long. For all the fine acting , the plot is thin and actions happen that are just absurd. For awhile I had no idea what was going on. Maybe due to budget, plenty of action takes place off-screen that we never get to see, while we do get to see scene after scene of people walking around looking worried. Luke Grimes and Frank Grillo are both very attractive men and that is the only reason I'm even giving this 3 stars. Atmosphere does not make a film great or even good. This was a complete waste of talent and if you watch it you are wasting your time.
13 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No masterpiece but a solid one
stefan-526-29613025 July 2019
Seeing all the bad review and the low rating you might leave this one out. But don't. The actors show a good performance, the locations are fine for this small town gangster movie type. If you like Frank Grillo type of movies, just watch it.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst ever! Don't waste your time and money
BasicLogic19 July 2019
Even this movie is straight into the DVD bin in the Wal-mart. Brain dead screenplay, hollow plots (is there any?), terrible directing (is there any? A crappy movie with a brain dead screenplay needs a director?), the slowest tempo to push forward a movie like this one? Ever had the experience your car suddenly died in a deserted road, you tried to push it forward, hoping suddenly put the gear into Drive, the car might get a jump start? Dream on, man. This movie is THAT DEAD CAR, man.

At a first look of the cast, you've got the cool young son in "Yellowstone 2018", then you got the cool sheriff actor from "Longmire", and couple of veteran supporting actors, you thought, well, why not give it a try. But Jesus, never could imagine a movie could have turned out so bad, man. I've already wasted time watching it, I don't want to waste more time to review this crappy movie no more. I'm out~~~Adios, amigo.
16 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not sure what to make of it
whitemanfromtowne19 July 2019
Just finished viewing this what felt like noir film that im not sure what to make of it. The story was ok, acting ok/meh, but it still just didn't make a solid impact as like a Fargo, or a No country for old men. It was bland. For a Saturday, I muddled thru. Would I recommend? Not really, it's a film that everyone can make their own assessment on, because it's open for interpretation.
12 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Waste of TIME
stephenlos5 August 2019
Dont waste you time worst film ive watched in ages
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My Money goes to ashes...
saptesh78613 August 2019
Very dull movie even having appealing storyline of criminals and robbers. I could not expect such low interesting movie on such subject. Actually I wish to happen something remarkable till end, but my bad luck I never saw that even movie end. No thrill no suspense and even no action you would see. Only three or four times gun shooting happened and movie ends. No action, no mystery nothing. I wasted my time and money on it, so I do not recommend to others. Avoid.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst movie I've seen in a long time
mr_stoosh10 August 2019
Nicely shot very brooding but that's about it and for that this movie gets one star. Don't even bother wasting your time with this film as that's 97 mins of my life I'm not getting back.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Had all the pieces, to be a great movie!
s-garner6212 August 2019
Great characters, good plot, but the pacing of the movie was bad!
most poor thriller
devangshah22 July 2019
How its suspenseful ? how its thriller ? its totaly waste of time .. viey r vey r poor direction realy its waste of time
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stay away
silent_uk8819 July 2019
Pointless, dull.. and full of cliché lines. Pathetic film-making.
7 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Grillo is the most underrated character actor in Hollywood
MajidMsa5 August 2019
Frank Grillo is a fantastic actor. What is wrong with Hollywood? We should be seeing him in everything. A man can only see so much darkness before he goes blind, in the end he didn't have to see the monster he became. the father he lost his daughter it just like you lost your pen i don't know there is no sad feelings. poor acting & slow & boring waste of time
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another worst film of the year! Slow like went to hell thousand times! Avoid at all cost!
kwenchow23 July 2019
This film start with the main actor "Nick" burning things to ashes! As turnout, this film is about a former gang of him "Sloan", want to seek vengeance from him after out from the jail! Entire film bored to freaking death! Barely intense scene is, Sloan stab his former boss in a room when Sloan bargaining with him! One night, Nick capture by Sloan gang and Sloan showing Nick wife's ring and telling Nick he already kill her! One of the gang member shot Nick in the body and second one on his head! But he still survive later on! Ridiculous! He drive out a car and chase the gang! He pass out and sent to hospital! He take down a police officer and escape from the hospital! A sheriff and also his father in law "Frank", searching him and found all the death body along the way! Frank searching scene slow like tomorrow never come! Frank eventually found Nick in a room! Nick told Frank with some flashback scene how Sloan get killed! Nick and his friend "Sal" search for Sloan, Sal kill by Sloan gang and Nick kill the guy who previously shot his head! All the killing scene not intense at all! Not even a single car chase scene! Nick drive out a car and found Sloan car crash at the road! Sloan dead on the road! At the very end, Nick want Frank do whatever he will do but Nick say he don't want rot in the prison! Frank drive to the car crash scene! We don't know he already kill Nick or let him go! That's it! A freaking wasting time to watch film!
2 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
VIEWS ON FILM review of Into the Ashes
burlesonjesse522 July 2019
"We were a family and you tried to kill us". Into the Ashes (my latest review) is about family but not the kind you wanna get mixed up in. We're talking guns, dirty money, malefactors, and overall criminality. Need I say more?

So OK, the poster for "Ashes" looks similar to the ones for American Assassin, 2015's Extraction, and 2017's Extortion. Am I seeing a trend here? Is this what every Internet-released poster is gonna look like? Anyway, I figured Into the Ashes wouldn't see much time in theaters. There are no stars except Frank Grillo (who once sparred with Liam Neeson in The Grey), there's that familiar revenge element, and the giveaway production values are stark at best.

Into the Ashes is helmed by writer and director Aaron Harvey (The Neighbor, Catch .44). Whether its rack focusing, the occasional close-up, a key flashback, or a rendered dissolve, Harvey commits to every shot. His "Ashes" is a little noir, a little Hitchcockian, a little C-listed, and a little home cooking. Heck, the film opens with a 4-minute tracking sequence that's fairly decent. Just call it the poor man's Copacabana a la Marty Scorsese.

Into the Ashes is also muddled and for the most part, half-done. For instance, what kind of bad stuff was the protagonist involved in before he left a life of crime? What's the backstory on the bad guys the protagonist was hanging with while he was up to no good? Why do said bad guys disappear in "Ashes" from time to time? Why does the sheriff in "Ashes" think he's as cool as Jeff Bridges? And how does said protagonist (Luke Grimes as Nick Brenner) get shot two times in the back and still go on living (huh?).

Bottom line: Into the Ashes as senseless titles go, looks like the greatest flick an incoming USC film student could ever come up with on the fly. It's worth a look despite having tired, laddish character behaviors, muttered dialogue by its actors, and plot holes the size of Denver. Rating: 2 stars.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.