Crazy Rich Asians (2018) Poster

Thoroughly predictable
pmailman29 August 2018
Not a bad movie, but you could have correctly written down 80% of the plot after the first 10 minutes. Points for some very good performances, absolutely stunning images of Singapore. Would have been fine to catch on TV than pay to see it in the theater.
203 out of 317 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pros and Cons
fwj-3319428 September 2018
Pros: pretty thin girls + something different + Singapore is nice (only the nice side is shown because it was sponsored by the Tourist Bureau)

Cons: Gold diggers are pathetic + showing off or accumulating wealth is tacky + what's with the joker pants and 1920s style long skirts?

By the way, a Christian mother who backstabs and front stabs and is into material accumulation lol
117 out of 183 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unattractive And Passe
o-14362Matteo-salvini17 December 2018
This film was expectedly boring and Victorian in attitude. I cannot say we were disappointed because we didn't expect much and it was as bad as we had imagined. Well, we hoped we would be wrong. We were not wrong.

Firstly, gold digging and being in awe of cash and wealth and material goods and a garden and so forth is so 1989. In today's world class and prestige are not represented by gross material things. Secondly, what is the point of "Asians" who are just like Westerners?? If the so-called Asians are all on Facebook/Instagram and play western piano music and worship the fable that Jesus Christ then it might as well be a film about Jersey Shore louts. Finally, in real life the writer is MIA for his military service. While I do not support the military is it indicative of the writer's privileged Trump-like attitude? I am tired of all these films about wealth and houses and cars and dresses that supposedly warn us away from these wasteful things. No, they are in praise of these wasteful things.

Wow how low Michelle Yeoh has fallen
59 out of 88 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stereotype
oqw-7885028 August 2018
This is a stereotypical film about recently rich Chinese/Singaporeans (not Asians, the title is a marketing trick) that are not self aware. They confuse money with prestige, the kind you see queuing outside a Japanese $200 a dish restaurant to be seen, to review and post on Instagram or some other stupid social media website. This film is for them, about them and probably by them. Skip.
380 out of 628 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Status Consumption And Materialism
fuuoegbi31 August 2018
This film missed the boat by over ten years. Gold diggers after material Goods To Achieve Status are Passe, unhip And Uncool. The World is awake to the billions living in poverty, billions who are hungry and marrying rich is so 2001.

People who are still worried about driving fatter and fatter cars and being on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter, etc are seen as has-beens who believe they have status but are only as hip as MySpace.

Unfortunately this film has done its target market analysis and is feeding the go of those with inferiority complex, material hunger and johnny-come-lately complex and mentality. It includes rich 'Asian', promotes status of those who have money or really really want it (as if) and of course according to the target market analysis and marketing the Asian is beautiful, the Asian is a professor, the Asian is fashionable, etc. all to sell tickets. Well, all these things are ugly and shallow. Beauty and wealth come from within and demonstrated in personality and kindness. MOVIEFAIL
280 out of 458 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Crazy RACIST Asians
huey208822 August 2018
This movie is so bad it is embarassing and I am Chinese. This movie shows the super rich Singaporeans going about in their daily lives of buying multi million dollar jewellery or ordering their house keepers around to hide their purchases or jetting off to private islands or container ship for bachelorette or stag do. Inserted in between these rub it in your face wealth scenes are what appears to be tourism ads. I get it, Singapore is exotic and hyper modern and Singaporeans LOVE their food but the world already knows that, it's nothing new. When some of these Asian actors demand that they want to be represented in Hollywood, how about bringing something fresh to the table that will make people sit up and listen?

Instead the opening scene is the race card being played in such a cringeworthy bogus way that paves for an unbelievable plot right to the end. Another incredible bombshell is that Rachel, the fermale protagonist (Constance Wu) has no idea that her boyfriend Nick (Henry Golding) comes from a super rich and famous family. It's 2018, she's a cool professor - go feminism but she's has never googled his family - surely a take down on her intelligence. Wu is in superb form in her comedy sitcom but here, she's a stunned deer who gets shoved around.

Then there's how Singaporeans are depicted. The women are all preened and dripping with brand labels. When they are not eyeing the commoner Rachel up and down and gossiping, they are shopping or having crazy parties. I have never heard of Singaporeans partying away into the night and causing scenes. They are one of the most ultra conservative Asians on earth.

The movie has another go at western culture in the dumpling making scene. Chinese parents pass down traditions or values as well as recipes so their children will never resort to microwaving macaroni cheese and feel so much resentment towards their parents to ship them off to nursing homes. A lot of bashing the west but ironically this movie is like Sex and City with a lot of European luxurious brand names dripped throughout. And not to forget these crazy rich Asians also act like westerners and party hard like they're in Magaluf. Spot on!

It's so sad to see my rich culture that already has an excellent film industry pander to Hollywood. Michelle Yeoh is South East Asia's screen legend even way before she ventured into the universally acclaimed Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. There are other notable Asians who have been given a platform in Hollywood - Jacky Chan, Gong Li, Ang Li, Lucy Liu. But it seems the complain still remains that Hollywood is whitewashing Asian stories. But if Crazy Rich Asians is what is on offer, I don't blame Hollywood for sourcing other talents.

It's 2018, people of all culture have so many opportunities than before so there's nothing really to complain about. That is if you are one of those people who expect to be rewarded just for turning up or just want to make a lot of money via Hollywood but use the cultural diversity cloak to get more attention.
393 out of 651 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not A Film For Me
lxsjhyad26 September 2018
I wasted my money and should not have watched it.

Everything I hate is in this film: backstabbing, lying, gold diggers, people who think wealth and being rich is cool, Christians, piano music etc. etc.
116 out of 182 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What was so good about this movie?
nmlb42-204-41375326 August 2018
The super lame, obnoxious attempt at humor was completely unnecessary. Boring, predictable, mediocre acting. Extremely simplistic story. Two thumbs way down.
220 out of 357 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A movie of gold digging superfivcial East Asian women
zmtxnbze25 September 2018
The gold diggers are shallow and superficial. They want to marry a millionaire and will back stab anyone and travel anywhere to do it!

Unfortunately, they are 30 years behind the times. The joker suit and the women with the very long prairie skirts are a retro hoot. My goodness/. I guess you cannot buy taste.
167 out of 268 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Crazy Small World
lxd-2762318 August 2018
First my disclaimer. I used to date one of the girls in this film. Interestingly one of the issues with us was what you see in this film which is all the need for money and glam and fashion this and latest item that. With that said, and the lady shall remain nameless, I did not find this film so good because i have almost lived it and it doesn't have an aura for me. But there are funny moments and it may be exotic for some. People in the threater seemed to enjoy it. I say give it a shot or wait for the video, but watch it anyway. Oh and hi 'Angel'
271 out of 445 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I Think People Have Zero Clue What 'Romance' Is
yuxcbmxl19 August 2018
Al these reviewers here calling this film Romantic or Rom-Com must have a twisted sense of what romance and romantic is. This film is half comedy and half tragedy. There is no romance. A bunch of newly rich who spent their childhood riding mules are now millionaires, marrying for money, marrying for sex, cheating and philandering and this passes as romance nowadays. Well, I think not. Think Cinderella or other fairy tales and now reverse it. That is the image of these very plastic capitalist materialist greedy human replicas. How sad.

What is really sad that all the people in the cinema are looking at this thinking this is how they want to be not understanding these are gross sham humans as disgusting as Shahs Of Sunset or the Kardashians
560 out of 942 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Monumental Yellowwashing
Larry-Donalds3 September 2018
This commercial and 1980s' style film is made for rich and shallow Singaporean princesses who are too self-absorbed to notice marrying rich and having material 'things' is sordid and embarrassing.

Singapore is powered by Malays and Indians and this elitist film yellowwashes them mercilessly. I was so sad that the year is 2018 and a segment of the population think it is either "romantic" or "comedy" that women are hungry for money and back stabbing and we have not reached a point to know that less is more.

Three *** Stars for the pretty women

Go ahead, down vote this review. Thanks.
300 out of 495 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tacky But Johnny Come Lately Nouveau Rich With Inferiority Complex May Love It
fmn-8042217 October 2018
It is a horrid display of American wannabe orientals' propaganda at its worst. Simply calling something a rom-com doesn't make it one. You actually need to romance and comedy, not a handful of obvious bait for Chinese who want to waste resources by driving Humvees and eating in Japan. Very see through if you've ever actually done some observation of poor people now rich. Poor job, shame on the writer for writing this tripe. By the way, the writer is wanted by police for evading his draft. Very elitist
147 out of 235 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring
aurelie-900306 October 2018
Apology of materialists. No plot. Total waste of time.
185 out of 300 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pure Trump Style Propaganda.
crcybjia7 October 2018
Calling Crazy Rich Asians a romantic film maker is like calling Donald Trump's lust for Ivanka cute. Moreover, there is such a gap between the rich and the poor that the rich need to be ashamed. There is nothing but embarrassment promoting this nonsense. And the materialistic mother was a Xian. Figures.
140 out of 224 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This Film Last Night And See In The News This Morning That...
tts-6985023 August 2018
... the director is wanted by law enforcement for being missing in action for his military duty. That makes sense. This film was an embarrassment from start to finish. All it shows is that the small group of Asians it depicts are cloned westerners who love, eat, devour, like, swallow shallow material 'things' and have zero care for the planet or their own image. 'Asians' as we all know if we are honest with each other are just mini westerners who act like westerners, want to be westerners and demand to have the same polluting cars, shiny jewels and 'romantic' encounters as the westerners. I have not read the book, but this film fully makes sense. There are a million 'Asians' out there who run around showing off their wardrobe and mansion and tanks (I mean cars) and this film glorifies all of them and will therefore get them to pay for tickets. That shows as Asians we have lost.
296 out of 491 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Two Questions
rosalind-softchoice27 December 2018
When do millionaires and billionaires find the time to get six packs and hard bodies if they are running a multinational business? Second question: are all Christian women as evil, sinister and back stabbing?

I believe those were the central themes of this film
57 out of 86 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pulp Fiction
chc-250046 September 2018
We watched this film over the weekend. I am not rich so it may come across as sour grapes, but I find display of wealth, driving flashy cars and showing off expensive clothes is embarrassing. It shows our society and laws have failed when some people have too much and others have too little.

Watching the film it worried me that it is promoting gold digging and back stabbing. Of course, many say that the film was mocking gold diggers, but if so it was very implicit and many viewers may have missed it. Regardless, they say any publicity is good publicity so either way young (and old) women may watch this and think marrying rich, tall and handsome is more important than marrying a good man. It is a pity if women are attracted to steel, gold and aluminum over humanity.

The film is sourced from a novel. It likely is from the pulp fiction genre.
279 out of 465 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Obnoxious
gahytutg12 September 2018
Dated clothing (long ankle-length skirts?? Oh my), settings, food and gold diggers. I cried and vomited up during the entire movie.
182 out of 298 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stupid boring and irritating
connie-starkovs12 September 2018
How can this movie be rated 7.6 overall when most of the reviewers hated it? I thought it was irritating and boring. A bunch of shallow stupid mega-rich people with nothing interesting to say drinking champagne in gigantic houses and slithering around in slinky designer clothes. And really, how did her mother never know her boyfriend's family was that famous and rich after she dated him for a year and they were so 'close'? Predicable ending. Cute lead actress who is supposedly a brilliant professor but she hardly showed her brains to say anything clever during this movie. Jokes and gags fell flat. How has this stupid movie been so hyped up?
164 out of 268 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Shallow materialism and extreme gluttony
heroes-omar28 August 2018
The stereotypes in this movie are way over the top:

• Racist British man who gets put in his place.
  • Elitist "everybody" judging each other based on absolutely no merits of their own.
  • Rich Asians treating their help like trash
  • People living in one of the poorest regions on the planet, celebrating extreme wealth and pissing it away on nothingness.

The whole movie was extremely superficial, and almost every character was very one-dimensional.

I wish they had cut away a few of the characters and gone more in depth with the rest of them.
307 out of 516 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring rich Asians
malty-185-4883378 November 2018
Painful to watch at times, so predictable and stupid.
90 out of 142 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Conspicuous Consumption
war-5031120 August 2018
Materialistic story and superficial acting, couldn't help rolling my eyes that people still think marrying rich and god digging is cool. Strongly disgusted
449 out of 767 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
wall-to-wall clichés - worst movie I've seen in years.
brian_dines26 August 2018
Let's see if I can tick off all the clichés in this film:

-poor, scrappy down to earth girl meets super rich guy -family disapproves of scrappy down to earth girl -family and friends try to sabotage relationship -Asians (as if they're all the same) disapprove of the "Americanize" girl's values -Let's sit around the table, learning lessons while making dumplings -Let's sit around the table, learning lessons, while playing mahjong -couple breaks up, man admits he was wrong, proposes marriage, but -she's so noble of character (guess 'cause she's Americanized) she turns him down rather can compromise her values. -eventually the family relents and accepts her ... wee!

It's been years since I've seen a more predictable, formulaic movie. There was nothing unique about this film except the "Asian" part. If the cast was Eurocentric, Afrocentric or anything else, this would not have been made. It's too stupid.

The actors did a fine job, given the stilted nature of the wall-to-wall clichés, and Singapore looked nice, but I felt like my intelligence was being insulted. Frankly, I was embarrassed. This is the equivalent of a movie featuring a family of African Americans sitting around talking about Jazz while eating fried chicken.

For God's sake, unless you think all Asians think and behave alike, don't see this film.
263 out of 441 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The only thing missing was a cameo from Ivanka Trump
the-n17 November 2018
One star for the glimpses of Singapore, and proving to Hollywood that there are more than 3 capable Asian actors. But what a horrendous vehicle to do it with. I hated all the characters 20 minutes in. I held on certain Ivanka would show up. I won't get into the details that make this a vile, cliched, predictable, absurdity. Many other reviews have already done that clearly. What disappoints me is the 75% positive rating. (92% on Rotten Tomatoes.) That either says so much about us a as people, or how good marketers are at manipulation. I don't know which, but both are disturbing. I secretly hoped the movie would end with some Red army overrunning the place and these people getting their comeuppance.

I hope to see several of the actors again.
79 out of 124 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.