Spy (2015) Poster

(2015)

So Kevin James leaves the mall
biuqh8 August 2020
And starts working for the CIA and gets a mission somewhere there is no Burger king or McDonalds and of course goes bazooka mad and is shaking and is out of his element.

Fin
85 out of 140 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not Funny
jecyyru26 April 2020
Supposed to be a comedy but they forgot the funny part.

She looks like she drives a SUV and has her three offsprings in the back as they creep forward in the McDonalds' drive-thru. YIKES!
103 out of 174 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not An Action Movie And Not Funny
bob-h113 December 2020
Really pathetic. McCarthy as a spook begs disbelief so the stars reflect that. And what is with with CIA scene?? I guess it just worked better in their heads than it did on the screen..
45 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hi Paul Feig
gregg-timmons-tx12 December 2020
Your films need to become better.

May I suggest you go back to school? For 2 hours? Watch Super Size Me. OK?

Spy must be financed by the Russian intelligence. How else could you explain the trash that masquerades as CIA?
45 out of 73 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Jason StatHAM and MeLICKa BIG MACarthy
javad197326 December 2020
I suspect this film was produced by Dick Cheney. It involved the CIA and the waterboarding and torture of... the audience.
34 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
James Bond, Jane Bond, and Jason Statham - a lethal combo for laughter
lnvicta12 June 2015
Kingsman: The Secret Service started a beautiful new wave of James Bond satire films. It's been done before but never quite as meta as it was in Kingsman, actively referencing how similar the plot and archetypes are to James Bond while still having a refreshing novelty factor and interesting characters of its own - creating this whole new world for the over-the-top James Bond-esque adventures to take place while the real James Bond canon continues its serious, grounded story arc.

While Kingsman was about setting up this elite organization and showing off their penchant for ridiculously elaborate action sequences, Spy has little exposition and throws you right into this hysterical world where Jude Law is the super suave secret agent and Melissa McCarthy acts as his eyes and ears back at headquarters. Jason Statham comes in later as a rogue agent who is as arrogant as he is oblivious. The movie doesn't itself seriously but it never goes into parody territory. These characters, as overblown and ridiculous as they are, still have relatable personalities, and you're willing to go on this crazy adventure with them right from the start.

Spy is very much an action comedy - whether you view it more as an action movie or as a comedy is completely up to you. I found it hilarious within the first minute and was laughing heartily throughout the entire movie, but there's no denying that the action sequences are incredibly well done. Specifically, the fight between Susan Cooper (McCarthy) and a female assassin in a kitchen, the opening sequence of Cooper alerting Bradley Fine (Law) where enemies are while Fine sweeps them up in a rat maze full of baddies, and the scene with the car where Cooper mops the floor with a handful of terrorists with little to no effort. If you aren't laughing at the jokes, you can laugh at how insane and over-the-top the action is - either way, it's an incredibly fun time.

What I find most compelling about Spy is how likable each character is. It's not just McCarthy, Law, and Statham with a bunch of stoic supporting characters. No, even the supporting characters are hilarious and interesting. Miranda Hart plays Cooper's goofy friend who does dumb things with the best of intentions, Rose Byrne plays the villainous daughter of a rich terrorist and has some excellent back-and-forth bickering with McCarthy, and Peter Serafinowicz plays Aldo: a sleazy Frenchman who absolutely loves women and especially their boobs. They all have moments of hilarity; even the main antagonist played by Bobby Cannavale who is supposed to be a classy businessman has quirky one-liners and the funniest villain run I've seen in recent memory. Oh, and 50 Cent is in it playing 50 Cent. Yeah, it's as crazy as it sounds.

As far as lead performances go, this is the funniest Melissa McCarthy has ever been. This is the ideal role for her because her character has a serious job and a serious mission juxtaposed with McCarthy's snarky personality and usual shenanigans, making for some truly hysterical situations. Jason Statham, however, is the real highlight here. The man is brilliant in this role. He's a tough-guy agent that goes around bragging about how badass he is and goes on to do the stupidest things ever while still keeping a straight face and menacing persona - essentially a parody of his usual roles. His rants are comedy gold simply because it's Statham doing them. He proves here that he's not only one of the greatest action stars working today but also one of the funniest. The fact that he even agreed to this movie says a lot about Statham's attitude - he's a great sport and isn't afraid to make fun of himself, and I really hope this earns him more comedic roles in the future.

Spy was everything I wanted it to be and more. I laughed harder at this movie than I did at most comedies in the past decade. The production value was fantastic, the pacing was perfect, and director Paul Feig clearly knows how to do comedy but now can add action to his resume. Everything about this movie works. It also allows James Bond to continue its serious endeavors, Kingsman to handle the classy yet gritty side of secret agents, while Spy focuses on the campy and silly nature of the whole affair. I sincerely hope this gets a franchise because there are too many great things happening for it not to get a sequel. On it's own however, Spy is an absolutely brilliant, perfectly casted satire that should not be missed by fans of action, comedy, or fun.
434 out of 895 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just Go For A Walk Instead
haily19738 October 2020
Not even the alluring Rose Byrne could save this. And I really do not refer or imply anything with female lead roles. If you want to make a serious case for strong female CIA agents then please do not do it like this. Just a bad movie. Two stars because of a couple of relatively pretty and thin actresses.
22 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Three pieces of advice
george-euler-film29 March 2021
To CIA: Ban your agents from chowing down on Big macs. It is better for their health and ensures they can move when needed.

To Hollywood: throw in the towel

To audiences: we are not that desperate. Let's learn how to cook, take care of the lawn or repaint the house.
17 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Jason Statham ...
metallica-are-wussy31 May 2021
.... you need to fire your agent.

You are good, you have character, you were in good films and then this it the screen.

America is truly an unhealthy place that normalizes this lack of health and hygiene.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
America - Land of the ignorant Filmmakers
scooterman196716 September 2015
After fife minutes watching «Spy» it was clear to me, that this is jet another failed attempt to create something of a British action comedy. Don't get me wrong, all the necessary ingredients for a good movie where there: Great Actors, Great Music, Great Camera-work and even a decent Storyline (nothing really new, but hey - this is Hollywood - if you can't think of a new story, just recycle some old ones over and over again). American Scriptwriters never get tired telling the rest of the World how stupid we are. My greatest disappointment were not the infantile Dialogues, the ever extensive use of the F-Word (you really have that covered) and the sexual innuendos (you should really practice it more and talk less about it) - it was the Actors, namely Jude Law and Jason Statham. Dear Mr. Law and Mr. Statham, you should really stand above such bad Filmmaking. Dear Filmmakers, You had so many good starting Points to make a entertaining Film - but you did, what you always do: EVERYTHING OVER THE TOP. Take a hint and watch some European Genre-Movies, they will teach you how to do it.
261 out of 545 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another example of the destruction of creativity.
barryweir28 September 2015
Much as people want to watch their sci-fi dumbed down in the form of Michael Bay's Transformers it seems that the modern cinema going audience, at least in America anyhow, are content with Paul Feig's fecal offerings. I'm astonished to see this movie running at 7.2/10 at the time I'm typing this.

I can only assume that movie is made for twenty and thirty somethings who have failed to grow up, are generally sheltered from life and are intellectually limited. I thought Bridesmaids was bad enough. By it seems that Feig has gone full out on Seth MacFarlane's vulgarity style, but with even less subtlety than MacFarlane himself.

Watching this you think you're in for an entertaining James Bond spoof. Sure enough, the first five minutes sets that up nicely. It what follows is a disgrace. In short, this has the potential to be entertaining. But it is ruined by a constant barrage of vulgarity. The thing is that unlike movies of the past that have had vulgar elements in them (say, Blazing Saddles) the vulgarity is delivered without comic timing and without any level of subtlety. Quite simply we see things like (the normally wonderful) Alison Janney saying the F word constantly and then hear her utter words like "thunderc***" and we're told it's funny, because, hey, it's a swear word! This goes on throughout the picture, from the initial scene with Statham to a plane exchange between McCarthy and Rose Byrne, where the F word is literally uttered in every possible sentence. I'm not a prude, I swear like a trooper and potty humour is funny to me most of the time. But when it gets to the gratuitous and unsubtle extent to which the film presents it I feel that my intelligence is being insulted.

Then there are, it seems, the other requisite elements to American comedies these days, namely fart, poo, vomit and sex jokes. The whole scene with the faked, erect penis, which we needed to see not just once, but at least five times for it to be clear to us that we are meant to laugh, just made my cringe like I have never cringed before. Then you have vermin crapping on a chocolate cake.....because har har har, isn't it funny to see a background character eat a fecal laden treat! When not being vulgar, the picture goes to every length to denigrate the appearance of McCarthy and Miranda Hart, with routine jokes about how they aren't that attractive or how McCarthy's weight is a reason for her character's undesirable place on the social and professional ladder. To think that Feig has the audacity to claim he makes these films to support women and that anyone who disagrees is a sexist. Unreal.

If you could get rid of the above then there is the bones of a half decent comedy. There are still a few funny scenes, most of which don't rely on the shock and vulgarity factor. But it seems that Feig can't help himself and just can't take a measured approach. I shudder to think what he will do to a beloved property like Ghostbusters. Slimer with a rubber dick and poo jokes no doubt. Well, based on his offerings so far I won't be going to see it. But the real tragedy here is the amount of cinema-goers who now seem to think this one brain cell trite is fine entertainment. It is ultimately not the likes of Feig or Michael Bay who are the death of intelligent, creative movies. It's the morons who line up to lap it up...and frankly they should be ashamed.
309 out of 661 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolutely dreadful
lwio196012 September 2015
I just watched the first half of this movie on recommendation.

It is just dreadful, it's a long string of expletives, unfunny situations and terrible acting. You know when the movies has lost it when the dialogue is just insults, expletives and nothing else.

I would certainly not recommend this title to anyone and putting it in the comedy genre is doubtful to say the least. There is very little storyline, basically a copy of true lies, which was a far better movie and it fails on all scores.

The level of this movie is best summarised by one of the scenes showing pictures of an erect penis from a recovered camera. Hilarious for a sniggering teen possibly.
281 out of 610 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What is the problem with all these 1 star reviews?
Flaviaj199114 January 2019
You look at the reviews and they all give only 1 star. What the heck. In a movie that clearly never takes itself seriously, why are people taking it so seriously? I honestly loved this movie, and no, I'm not a teenager. It's a spy satire with great action scenes and a good rhythm. There were so many memorable moments in this movie for me, like Susan Cooper killing the guy unintentionally, Ford showing up in Cooper's hotel and bragging about all absurd things he's ever done, every scene that Ford appears, the airplane scene. And the Cooper's fight with the woman in the kitchen was totally badass.
69 out of 139 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad Movie
amurray-5860823 August 2015
Yawn, Yawn, Yawn.

Sitting through the vulgar language and bad acting in this move made the $1.50 I paid seem like too much money.

Melissa McCarthy can be a funny, talented actor but she seems to have to resort in playing parts where she uses extremely vulgar language making her look untalented, seamy and stupid.

The inane, vapid humor in this horribly scripted movie filled with obscene vulgar language actually made me angry.

Don't waste a minute of your time or a penny of your money on this bad movie
239 out of 530 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
is cursing and anatomy reveals the only way to get a laugh now a days?
desireewooddixon8 June 2015
really the frontal anatomy reveals and extreme cursing and anatomy references are over done since hangover. the shock value is non existent and it is not funny. it is rather disrespectful to the fan base to believe that the only thing the 18 and up crowd will laugh at is a crude bar joke.

aside from the obvious parental warning, i would also have to add an IQ warning as well. the underdeveloped plot left nothing to be desired. a spy film without suspense is basically a third grade writing assignment. the characters were not believable or likable. seeing another "tammy" movie where the audience gets to laugh at a fat woman for being fat is in and of itself laughable considering the American obesity rate. the fact that we never see a movie where obese characters are able to demonstrate their acting range outside of an occasional moment where said character pines over an attractive costar and maybe "despite my obvious repulsive weight, this person sees beneath the lard layers." boohoo...

pass on this trash.
249 out of 557 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another "I'm fat so I'm funny" movie
martinsosadias20 June 2015
Terrible in all it's glory. Fat jokes because it stars a fat chick, terribly degrading Melissa's persona. One would think that the movie actually adds something with that cast but it doesn't. It not only has the "last minute unexpected hero spy" recipe but the "I'm fat so I make fat jokes" ingredient. The movie was almost unbearable to watch and very "american" style of laughing at steriotypes. It's sad to see that Jude Law and Jason Statham participated in this since they have so much more potential and thinking that they wasted time filming this and not something of quality makes me sad.

This movie is what's wrong with society nowadays. Do not recommend.
244 out of 553 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Katharine Hepburn and Cary Grant on crack. I'll explain in my review...
rooprect10 March 2019
In the late 1930s through early 1940s ('38-'40 to be precise), there was a barrage of slick comedies characterized by witty, cheeky, rapid-fire dialogues between characters without so much as a breath between jokes, let alone hold for audience reaction. To me, the pinnacle of this achievement was the pairing of Katherine Hepburn and Cary Grant, both fast-talking sultans of sarcasm, in films like "Bringing Up Baby", "Holiday" and "The Philadelphia Story". Here, nearly a century later, we revisit that style but ramped up on crack, to the point where, after seeing the movie, I had to google the script to see what I missed while laughing my arse off--and laughing it off all over again.

Let me give you an example. The following exchange between "Ford" (Jason Statham) and "Susan" (Melissa McCarthy) is crammed into the space of probably 10 seconds at most, with Jason firing off his lines like a Chicago Gangster with a cockney accent and Melissa quietly interjecting, unnoticed, barely giving him time to reload before his next strafing.

FORD: You really think you're ready for the field? I once used defibrillators on myself! I put shards of glass in my fn' eye! I've jumped from a high-rise building using only a raincoat as a parachute and broke both legs upon landing; I still had to pretend I was in a fing Cirque du Soleil show! I've swallowed enough microchips and s*** them back out again to make a computer. This arm has been ripped off completely and re-attached ...with THIS fing' arm..!

SUSAN: I don't know that that's possible... I mean medically...

FORD: During the threat of an assassination attempt, I appeared convincingly in front of congress as Barack Obama..!

SUSAN: In blackface? That's not appropriate.

FORD: I watched the woman I love get tossed from a plane ...and hit by another plane mid-air! I drove a car off a freeway on top of a train while it was on fire. Not the car, *I* was on fire..!

SUSAN: Jesus you're intense.

I don't think I need to say much more in my review; if you like that style of banter (not so much banter as jackhammer) comedy, don't miss "Spy". Written and directed by Paul Feig who brought us many episodes of The Office before his big screen breakthrough "Bridesmades" and worthy follow-up "The Heat", here in "Spy" we get the third of his brilliant comedies starring the incomparable Melissa McCarthy. In this case, the script is amped up the most of all with so many hilarious lines that you really have to check out the imdb quotes section afterwards to see what you missed, then watch it again.

The plot? Who cares. Something about spies and nukes and hot Bulgarian villains played by Rose Byrne who really channels her inner Cruella Deville only without the dog skin furs, instead opting to dress, as one character points out, "like a slutty dolphin trainer".

If it's possible, EVERY character steals the show. From Melissa (obviousy) down to the bit part of the villain's blonde male henchman who has only 6 lines (and whom Melissa taunts: "I don't see a man. I see a reject from The Sound of Music.")

So watch this movie while you can. I don't know if witty, snappy, script-driven comedies like this will follow but I'd love to see. In the same way Hepburn/Grant defined the comedic style of the 1940s, or in the same way the Zucker-Abraham-Zucker team defined comedy of the 1980s ("Airplane!", "Top Secret!"), here another 40 years later we get a smart, stylish, characteristic brand of comedy that I think our generation can be proud to laugh hysterically to.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Really Bad Movie.........
paulnbrowne26 November 2015
My daughter told me this was a funny film, so I watched it. I will never trust a teenager again. I forgot that teenagers will laugh at a fake willy joke every time, and this film does the same. Showing a male member is faintly amusing the first time, but by the fifth time it's just boring. I made myself sit through the last hour, because I had hoped it might improve. It doesn't. The first ten minutes are by far the best. It drops off a cliff after that. Puerile, profane, badly acted, ham-fisted and just really unfunny. The dialogue is appalling, the action sequences are ludicrous and the obsessive swearing just gets old very early on. Don't watch this if you have a mental age older than six. Adam Sandler would be ashamed of this movie. Avoid........... no, seriously just don't watch this tripe.
172 out of 391 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Jason Statham? Why?
Avidvidwiewer10 July 2015
I have to admit that I had a couple of beers when I saw this movie but even that didn't take the edge off the awfulness of it and my feeling that it was an unscripted - make it up as you go along - nice holiday for the "actors" kind of movie. Why was the f word used so often - I can swear with the best of them but not in general conversation and without any sense or meaning. I will state publicly at risk of being assassinated that imho Jason Statham can't act and I've cringed so many times when I've tried to watch his movies that I couldn't mention. Why was Amanda Hart in this, what?? She's not an actress and fails miserably at comedy - I saw her in "Not Going out" (Britcom) and she was just the stooge.
126 out of 282 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Huge Disappointment
basdahl2 October 2015
I will be the first to say I'm a H-U-G-E fan of Melissa McCarthy; however, this movie was a STINKER! My entire family sat down to enjoy what we thought would be a really entertaining 'spy' flick but only made it to about 30 minutes in before we shut the TV off. This movie had the potential of being so much more but it was dumbed down with tasteless jokes and vulgarity. Folks, if you're thinking about renting this movie, don't waste your money. And Melissa, please...I beg you...do not agree to do another film of this ilk. You're better than this! I'm not sure what happened to you since 'Bridesmaids', but I'm beginning to lose faith! You've got another opportunity to show off your comic chops in 'Ghostbusters'. Please don't disappoint.
155 out of 352 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Waste
pippyskipy-019911 October 2015
Boring trash . With porno . Think they can't find a good plot for this one so they added porn. A New low for Jason . Keep away from kids might scare them.and an shocking profanities." "Spy starts to wheeze a bit as it reaches the finish line. This is not a story that needs two hours to be told. Also, I could have done without the mice and the bats, and the projectile vomiting. Gross isn't always funny. What does work, in every scene, is Melissa McCarthy's performance. She's as funny and as winning as anyone in the movies these days."including some graphic deaths by gunfire, knives, and big falls.This movie became rather tiresome with its off color humor and vulgarity. Lost interest and bit appalled, didn't finish watching it. American films have become stupider and stupider.
157 out of 357 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A kingswoman that fails miserably
raphaelragnotti14 July 2015
This is a story of a back up CIA agent (played by Melissa McCarthy) who volunteers to go on a mission in Europe and track an gun dealer in possession of a big bomb. Yeah why not.

Well...NO. Though the actress is playing rather well, nothing works on that movie. From the never-ending dull dialogs to the succession of flat action scenes this "spy movie satire" disrespects any viewer. Any European would be offended by so many clichés that are apparently useful for the sake of the storyline poorly written. The year 2015 started pretty well and that is the first turkey of the year. THis movie is in the same vein as just married (2003) or meet the spartans: You end up hating the director for wasting your time and 65 millions $ of somebody else's money.
159 out of 362 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
#1 winner in the new genre "Swearing Comedy Action
rafaelos-1529829 September 2015
If you up for a non-stop swearing, pointless & tasteless so-called comedy, flavoured with some stupid & inappropriate jokes, then you will enjoy this 007-parody, aka comedy action. Otherwise, do not waste your time watching it. It is in my humble opinion Jason Statham's worth movie role & it would not add any respect for him. I rated 1/10, was shocked to see such a high rating.... I guess the cultural standards & the tolerance in our society are responsible for that! Once again there are plenty of good movies, do yourself a favour & skip this one safely... you will not loose anything. P.S. Spoiler: excessively high swearing content.
159 out of 363 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
We get it, you are fat, so we are supposed to laugh at you.
mscherlen7 June 2015
Poor Melissa McCarthy... No self esteem, no self-respect, and obviously, no shame. She is a person that no doubt has talent and intelligence, but nobody has told her so, which can be the only reason she would embarrass herself with this demeaning, tacky and unfunny garbage, over in over, repeating the previous bad movie she completed before.

This train wreck of a film wasted hours of my life, and took down so many actors with its insipidly juvenile plot, terrible script, and inane dialogue. I even found myself wishing my movie hero, Jason Statham, all the terrible deaths he so gloriously dished out in all his previous movies. He is the guy that Guy Richie made be great and funny, but the "Feig" that directed this crap made me want to never see him in another movie again...and I am the guy who even liked him in "In the name of the King". Please Jason, take that fast car you are known for and drive the heck away from this toxic drivel... and drag Jude law behind you for venturing into this bad choice. Jude Law is such a great actor... please send him to rehab if he is this desperate to finance his habits. And tell him not to share needles with Rose Byrne...such a beautiful lady to waste in this movie obviously written by some potty mouthed sixth graders (or Seth McFarlane).

That Melissa McCarthy is wasting her lives on fart joke, vomit jokes, "Pee-pee" picture jokes, and degrading herself by just being the fat-chick butt of all jokes at the expense of her dignity, is just a tragedy. I'd rather not see her degrade herself to the point that I will in the future seek out more intellectual movies, like something with Jim Carrie or Yahoo Serious.

The plot has been done better and before a thousand times. The dialogue...unbelievably childish and unoriginal. The movie comes together like an episode of The Cleveland show, which itself is just an unoriginal rehashing of "Family Guy", which itself is just a rehashing of the lesser episodes of "the Simpsons" with all of the humor, fun, joy, originality, spirit and souls removed.

OMG, it was the longest two hours of my life. Avoid like the plague, and don't encourage these movies to reproduce...this is how people like Jack Black can have a career! (The only good thing about this movie is that Jack Black wasn't in it, too).
195 out of 451 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bored, James Bored
thingymabob30 May 2015
Screw this movie in its fat ugly face.

I don't know what kind of crap you're trying to pull, Melissa, but you're not funny. The 'I'm so fat and ugly, watch me fall over and swear' act is getting old. Nothing you do in this movie is funny or interesting.

Spy is a movie that lacks direction and tone. Half of the time it was sad and dramatic, and other times it was 'funny'. It was neither and ultimately failed at both. The 50 Cent cameo was obviously phoned in; his role was neither funny or complimentary to the plot. Jason Statham's role was similar; I found his general dickheadedness more annoying than funny. The fact that he showed up in every scene, against all logic, was even worse. Rose Byrne was predictable, which is a shame, because I do believe she's a very talented actress in the right roles (Damages, 28 Weeks Later). The villain is in the movie for about 10 minutes total - know nothing about this mastermind that we don't even hear that much about. Jude Law, who 'dies' in the first 10 minutes of the film, is a douche. His death is supposed to be emotional. Are you seeing the problem? How are we supposed to be sad about a character we barely know? The film sets this scene up from nothing.

Also, this movie is needless profane; I nearly walked out. I really didn't spend $18 just to see some guy's erect cock on a camera. I don't get it. Is it funny? Is it shocking? Either way, the movie could've done without it. McCarthy constantly switches between sweet/shy to mind-numbingly profane. Swears come out of her mouth like free gifts from Oprah.

The only saving grace in this movie is McCarthy's sidekick, whose name I forgot because she was severely underused. She was far funnier than McCarthy. This movie should've been her in the lead, with somebody like Stephen Merchant somewhere in the mix.

Anyway, this movie blows hard. Do yourself a favor and watch Mad Max this weekend, a movie with originality, and visual flair, and narrative heft.
201 out of 466 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.