Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) Poster

3,578 Reviews
Watch Extended cut, not theatrical
whitnale14 July 2017
The theatrical is choppy, poorly edited, hard to follow, with some really good moments mixed in their. The extended is much more fluent and is much easier to follow, it does have a long runtime, which might make it seem a bit dragging on, but if you like long films done right, like Lord of the Rings, you will like this movie as long as you get into the characters and story. Speaking of which, the story starts out perfectly showing Bruce Wayne as a character, and it is very powerful. There are several moments in this movie that are powerful, emotional, and shocking. Characters. Batman is my favorite fictional character of all time, and believe me when I say, Ben Affleck as Batman was perfect, he had the charisma, the anger, and the look of being through some bad stuff Gal Gadot also does perfect as Wonder Woman, but if you want to really see how good she does, go watch the Wonder Woman movie. Henry Call as Superman. I really don't like it when people say Christopher Reeves is better. Don't get me wrong, Reeves does great, but can you imagine him as Superman in this movie? I wouldn't like it. It would be like Adam West playing Batman in The Dark Knight. Henry Cavill does great in this role, I can say everything about him as I said with Ben Affleck. Jesse Eisenberg as Luthor. I thought it was different in a good way. I've heard a criticism for him as being too much like Joker, but is that a bad thing? Joker is my favorite villain, so to see Superman have an enemy that crazy, but still hold the values Luthor needs to be Luthor, I think it is great. The thing I thought this movie was lacking in the first and second acts was humor, at least good humor. If there was more humor, I would've given this movie a ten because it would give a more relaxing feel to the parts that needed it. All in all though, this movie was awesome, it had powerful moments, it was badass, and just plain fun. It had a great story arc and does its job very well.
92 out of 111 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An under-appreciated superhero film
HaNzz9917 September 2017
*I will be talking about the Ultimate Edition of the film*

This was one of the most anticipated CBM of all time. Ever since the arrival and subsequent success of Marvel's The Avengers people have wondered when will DC launch its own cinematic universe, one of the main reasons being the opportunity to finally see titans such as Batman and Superman share the screen together: the ultimate nerd dream.

On 2016, the moment finally came for BvS to be released AND.. it performed poorly. Not only did critical reception left a lot to be desired, but fan reactions where surprisingly split after its cinematic debut. People either loved it and called Zack a genius, or hated it and called him a hack. Me, personally, I found myself with middle of the road feelings, for sure, but more leaning towards the negative side with subsequent viewings.

The theatrical cut of the film showcased amazing performances, incredible visuals, and action set pieces that seemed like comic book panels come to life, in a good way. However, when it comes to its narrative structure and more technical aspects like editing, the film was seriously flawed. More plot holes than Age of Ultron, questionable character decisions, random editing that lacked cohesion and focus, and forced dramatic moments that lacked any impact because the attempts at character development ranged from limited to nonexistent, especially when it comes to Superman's character. I thought it was a 5/10 movie at best.

As such, I was kind of skeptical about the idea of a 30 minute longer version. I say kind of because I know how Zack works. I remember Watchmen being vastly improved with its director's cut, so in a way I was expecting BvS to perform in a similar manner, but I also feared those 30 minutes wold be just there to amplify action and discredit storytelling issues. Oh boy, I'm so glad I was proved wrong. The ultimate cut of the film was infuriating, but not because it was awful, but because it questions the sanity of WB executives and editors and makes you wonder what were they thinking during the editing process.

What I got out of the Ultimate Edition was a thought-provoking deconstruction of two very iconic superheroes that gave spotlight to the struggles both of them face when they aren't fighting crime. What I got was an extremely well produced character study on both Batman and Superman in a cynical world, a world dangerously close to our own. We meet Batman as a ruthless, worn out hero that has seen the failure behind his ideals and witnessed some truly horrifying things in his life. Superman, on the other hand, is portrayed as a godlike figure that seeks to do good in the world, but finds himself emotionally conflicted once he realized that every good deed he does leaves behind a trail of destruction (most of it due to Luthor's antics).

In my opinion, this is a hugely original approach, one that distances itself from the rest of the competition and delivers a dark, somber, yet relevant superhero movie that understands both characters and gives them real human struggles to deal with. I felt invested in both of them, and hoped that by the end of the film both could find a way to redeem themselves. Their character arcs were very well established during the first two acts of the movie, and by the time we get to the titular climactic battle the emotion behind the jaw-dropping action is intensified.

Lex Luthor as a villain was also given more time to develop with this new edition. One of the main criticisms with the original version was the fact that his plan relied too much on conveniences, and the character's mannerisms and mad-scientist attitude was annoying, and that goes without saying his motivations were unclear. Not only do we spend more time understanding his hate for any godlike figure and thus his hatred for Superman, but the added scenes allowed us to witness his entire plan come to fruition. It sells the cold, manipulative, calculating attributes of his comic counterpart.

The acting is spot on. Every actor owns his/her role, from Cavill's Superman, to Ben Affleck as Batman, Eisenberg as Luthor, and Gadot as Wonder Woman, whose scenes are brief, but are more than enough to sell the strong and ferocious warrior that she is. Cinematography is stunning, and miles above that of Man of Steel's. And the soundtrack by Zimmer and Junkie XL? Perfect, just perfect.

When it comes to flaws, the film still has some of those. The Martha moment, while serving as a pivotal character moment for Batman, felt off in execution, and its understandable that many people got mad at it. If your main complaint about BvS the first time around was its bleak tone and subject matter, this film is still not for you. I understand most were expecting to see the heroes being the most iconic versions of themselves, clashing in an elongated battle and evoking the same feelings The Avengers gave audiences back in 2012. In that sense, the film will remain divisive, but at least I have the comfort of saying that, at the very least, the film is competently made.
183 out of 245 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A well-executed dark superhero movie
milleniumlogan24 January 2018
I don't care what the critics say, this is a very well-done movie. I'll start my review by listing what I like about the movie.

1.) Ben Affleck is the best batman to me and it is not close. He pulls off the role of an aging batman extremely well. Also, Zack Snyder's vision of batman is legit. I have always hated batman up until this adaptation of him. Instead of being a conflicted and idealistic batman, this batman is dark, gritty, and 100% a badass. His equipment is decked out with machine guns and he has no aversion to killing people. In fact, he probably kills about 50 criminal by the time this movie is over. The warehouse scene is the coolest batman scene in any movie.

2.) The development of a grudge between batman and superman is pulled off flawlessly. It actually makes sense why batman dislikes superman. Then, when they do fight it is about the coolest thing you can expect to see from a superhero film.

3.) I disagree with a lot of people about Jesse Eisenberg's Lex Luthor. In my opinion, he played his role to perfection.

4.) B v S sets up Wonder Woman and Justice League with Gal Gadot's cameo as Wonder Woman and short clips of Aquaman, the Flash, and Cyborg.

B v S is one of my favorite superhero films and rewatching it never gets old.
61 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More Memorable than Most of the MCU
JustAnotherHumanBeing22 November 2017
The theatrical cut of this film is garbage which is why I rated it eight stars instead of nine. The first time I watched this film I didn't like it (not straight out hate but didn't like). Character motivations didn't make any sense, Lex was annoying as s***, editing was sloppy, and it was overly dark and broody for an action superhero movie. A year + a half, five Marvel films, a ton of bad reviews and a Justice League later a thought popped into my head: "what if I watched BVS again". This time I didn't have trailers ruining the best moments, I only vaguely remembered the film, and I was conditioned to look at it negatively but something unexpected happened: I actually loved it. Superman was just a normal person that tried to make a difference cause he could that others imposed their own beliefs on. Lex Luthor was a genius that couldn't stand his powerlessness compared to Superman or more accurately a super being. As Alfred said "The fever, the rage, the feeling of powerlessness that turns good men... cruel" and you see the same thought process in Batman. Batman, just like Lex Luthor feels powerless in the midst of a god-being and just like Lex he attempts to destroy him so he can get his sense of power back but unlike Lex, Batman learns something. I what is one of the corniest lines of the movie Superman says, "Martha" when he knows he can't win against Batman in a late desperate attempt to save his mother. Not only does this name connect with Bruce Wayne but it also shows what really matters to a man of steel: it isn't power, it isn't fame or anything else, it is his Mother and on a broader scale it is people. Lex (who doesn't care about people at all) knows he doesn't have the power so he creates something from his blood and the remains of Zod: A Doomsday for Superman. Not only does this film have depth but it also doesn't always explain it to you which is rare in a blockbuster action superhero flick normally cater to semi-comic book fans and people that want to shove popcorn in their mouths. This film rewards you for really noticing the details while still having massive explosions. One of my favorites is how Lex has all of Batman's branded killed which is why he isn't afraid of the branding at the end or Grandma's Peach Tea as a way of scaring the s*** out of someone. Of course, this film isn't perfect and I do have personal dislikes. The Batman V Superman fight was slow and pretty boring especially after watching such an amazing fight in Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Part 2 (If you haven't watched the animated Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Part 1 and 2 you are sorely missing out on something fantastic). Also, the addition of Wonder Woman who pretty much steals a hacker thing, gives it back and then suits up and fights against a giant monster thing. Not to say I don't like Wonder Woman (She is one of my favorite Superheroes of all time who showed not only can woman kick a** but they also don't need to be ashamed of their sexuality or gender) but she wasn't really that helpful to the plot and just brought in to expand the universe which was well done through Lex's superhuman hunting files. Also, the post-apocalyptic scene that was just a dream could have been cut but nothing is perfect except movies like Citizen Kane which isn't a lot of fun to watch cause it is too perfect. So to summarize, the theatrical cut is bad, the ultimate cut is Amazing and the other cut is meh. Please give it a second chance because it deserves it and save a good director from losing grace because of something he didn't do.
56 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A once in a lifetime movie (BVS ultimate edition)
rsathyadav16 June 2017
I know I know. I saw it in theaters too, and felt like it could've been so much better. While the Batman element was good, the narrative felt fractured, and the third act was just one long stunt scene. Superman was relegated to a supporting character, and other characters didn't get a chance to shine. And then I chanced on the ultimate cut. Calling it 30 mins of "extra" footage is unfair to Zack Snyder because it's exactly these 30 mins that makes the movie a worthy one. What I can say about the theatrical cut is this - It had the blockbuster elements - music, visuals, stunts, CGI. But, it lacked the human elements.

The first 20 mins of the movie had it, but not after that. The extended cut in comparison has a flow to the narrative. There are no disjointed scenes, everything flows smoothly, and there's connective tissue. Superman gets to spend some time with his father, and mother. Clark Kent does some investigative journalism. Superman helps the people after the blast. Lois Lane doesn't jump to conclusions, she gets to the bottom of the crime. Lex Luthor apparently had a coherent plan - everything is explained pretty well. Wonder Woman was already good, so there's no change there :) Also, the "Martha" scene seems better executed, because it is a few seconds longer, and there's time to breathe it in.

So, here's my take on this movie - The theatrical cut was junk. Get the Bluray for ultimate edition, and you shall not be disappointed. I've seen it so many more times now, and it's the definitive cut. It is the movie we deserve. It's a unique take on Batman, and Superman. It's a gritty take on the superhero movie genre, and definitely the best DCEU movie, and the best DC movie since The Dark Knight.

P.S. Yes it's dark. We're adults, and we should appreciate mature film making without intentionally silly moments. It attempts to be philosophical, and something deep instead of just trying to make you chuckle.
120 out of 171 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An Epic Showdown!!!
brantheiner30 July 2018
Actually...I didn't know what to expect. When you see Wonder Woman, you know it will be off of Wonder Woman and off of a Wonder Woman story, but with Batman V Superman, I was like, "hmmmm, so who is this about?" It was pretty obvious that it would feature many characters, but I thought the introduction to Batman was amazing. Ben Affleck nailed the part, not only as Batman but also as Bruce Wayne. He is my Batman. Henry Cavill continued to be super as the Man of Steel. And he is my Super - Man. A dark story? Yes, without a doubt. Could it have had a few more jokes? Sure. But not all movies or stories need to have jokes when certain events are serious. I really hope people can see this review and take another look at the movie, because, I loved it. I really hope the ratings can go up, eventually. And P.S, this movie is the perfect set up to Justice League.
64 out of 90 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Son Of Krypton Vs Bat Of Gotham
gautam-7617621 February 2018
That's right. We have been waiting for these two heroes to finally meet and fight against each other. This movie is so good in both plot and special effects.

Henry Cavill and Ben Affleck have performed well in their acting stages. They are the best superhero actors and they have filmed their fighting scenes very well. The movie starts to show the conflict between the lives of the heroes and now they have blamed each other for it. This movie is amazing and sets up a good plot for Dawn Justice.
40 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ultimate Extended Edition---Fantastic Masterpiece
rebeccax516 July 2016
I didn't see the film in the theaters and just bought the "Extended Edition " on Amazon. I never properly saw Man of Steel- i think I rented it and watched it when already exhausted and fell asleep. I saw the mediocre user reviews and horrible reviews from critics of this film.

They really have it wrong. This is the very best either Batman or Superman. It has a different take, on things. Much darker then earlier films even darker then the Christopher Nolan Batman films.

First of all Christopher Nolan is an Executive Producer. So how bad could it be? I loved Sucker Punch and Zack Snyder was involved with that. So how bad could this be? Hans Zimmer did the music, so how bad could it be?

I remember watching the old Superman TV shows and reading the Superman and Batman comics as a little kid and loved them, but i wouldn't call myself a "fan boy" of comic universes, like so many younger people today. As an older adult I will admit my favorite TV show of all time was Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but watched it on DVD only after it had finished. I saw the second of the Dark Knight series in the theater, but the other two, I watched on DVD. They were great, but not my favorite films like so many people. i also loved the first couple Superman and Batman films in the older series. Regardless, i was not waiting with baited breath to see Man of Steel or this one.

I'm more of a serious film fan, who can watch Stanley Kubrick films over and over and my favorite films in the last twenty years, are Eyes Wide Shut and Intersteller, both of which i've watched multiple times.

So, with that said, take it from me, the critics have this film very wrong, just as critics hated 2001: A Space Odyssey when it first came out. This film will have lasting appreciation.

Surprised how much I liked Ben Afleck's Batman. it was hard to get into Henry Cavil's scrawnier looking Superman, but it grew on me. Amy Adams was great as Lois Lane, The Gal Gadol Wonder Women was amazing. Lex Luther was terrific, like Nolan's Joker. Jeremy Irons was the best Alfred ever. Holly Hunter and Diane Lane was good too.

The movie had bad reviews but made a billion dollars. Hopefully everyone buys the Ultimate Edition and it breaks sales records and the film is re-appreciated. I have no idea what scenes this Ultimate Edition added, but it is pretty perfect. Now I can't wait for Wonder Woman and the Justice League and as soon as I finish writing this am going to watch Man of Steal. I'm into it now!

I can only surmise that the bad reviews stem from too much expectations of the rigid fan boy types and the radical changes in tone, we see in this film.

Total masterpiece of cinema, but I have a few criticisms. There are a few hollow scenes of typical Idiot cops and authorities getting everything wrong in a cliché type way and it has a few filler scenes of that type and a few moments here and there that felt rushed and cheesy. Maybe not everything restored into the Ultimate Edition should have been. I wish there had been more Kevin Costner scenes.
252 out of 393 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amused
glennvanrosmalen22 January 2019
I really liked it, don't know what all the hate is about. I'm actually a Marvel fan from when I was 7 or so, but Superman and Batman together in 1 movie? Just great. And personally I like Ben Affleck even better than Christian Bale as Batman. So just watch and enjoy, I know I did!
65 out of 94 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great movie
dormesher-2156527 January 2019
Batman vs Superman Dawn of Justice. I love this movie I know people have issues with it and there are some things I don't like and it's not the best in DCEU franchise but it's a great take on the characters and I have a lot of fun with movie.

Ben Affleck is great as Batman I love brutal style they went for he's also very dark which I love. Henry Cavill as Superman is great as Superman and this is a great sequel to Man of Steel and serves well as a sequel.

The story is a little rushed however it is handled alot better in the Ultimate Edition of the film adding alot to the story and making it a better movie.

The visuals are fantastic and Zack Snyder did a brilliant with both characters in my opinion and adding Wonder Woman and hints at the Justice League was handled brilliantly in my opinion.

The story is brilliant and handled very well I'm not a fan of Lex in this movie or this universe he just isn't a good Lex to me at all and I hope he gets better but at the moment not a fan.

I love the Martha scene for me that was Batman realises that Superman is just like everyone else with a family and people he loves and you can Batman finally has respect and a chance to make that another Martha dosent die its a chance for him to fix his mistake very powerful scene I love it.

I will defend this movie always yeah it has issues but its still a fantasic movie and a great way to carry on these characters in my opinion.

9.1/10 great sequel to Man of Steel with great versions of Batman and Superman and the fight is just incredible its my two favourites on the big screen I love it.
34 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Outstanding cinematic experience - I loved every thrilling minute of it!
bn22914 October 2017
I want to go on record as saying that this is a truly thrilling cinematic experience in so many ways. If pressed, I guess I could acknowledge that there were a couple ... let's say "clumsy" moments. And in a film that runs to three hours, that hardly seems like a significant issue, certainly not enough to rate it with fewer than 9 stars.

This film has everything. There is dramatic tension right from the start. There is a magnificent story arc that picks up quite seamlessly from 'Man of Steel' and propels the viewer not only into the life of Clark Kent/Superman but also of Bruce Wayne/Batman.

The villain is no mere cartoon of a villain; he is truly thoroughly (and apparently irrevocably) diabolical. He is a psychopath, and you wish for his death over and over and over. You want Superman to reduce him to ash with the power of his eyes.

I have read a number of viewers' reviews, and it seems that the people who disliked the film / gave it a low rating had rather unfair and unrealistic expectations of it. That is, their own prejudices about how the plot could/should unfold or what the character development could/should be, etc. ruined the film for them. And that is a shame.

My thought is: I settle into my seat, wait for the lights to dim, and then I wait to be transported by the film. I accept it, lock, stock, and barrel.

As another reviewer remarked, I love how the film begins from the point of view of Bruce Wayne as he is among people on the ground who have fallen victim to the attack of Zod and the other Kryptonians.

Why would Bruce Wayne not like Superman? Why would the good people of Earth hurl insults at Superman and burn him in effigy (on the news)? Because the good people of Earth just got catapulted into a new reality in which there are not only extraterrestrial beings (surprise!) but they are also superman! And a group of them are hell-bent on destroying humankind and taking the planet for themselves.

It is difficult to see Superman as separate from the whole Kryptonian Krew.

It seems that many moviegoers forgot that Bruce Wayne is also human. Sure, he's a hero, but he is flawed.. Just like the rest of us. He is a vigilante, after all.

He has let his vigilantism get the better of him. HE is actually the one working outside the boundaries of the law, not Superman. It is the clear head of Alfred that shows us that he has gone into a rather dark place, that he has not seen what is really going on (in Luthor's scheme), and so he chooses to embark on his own scheme scheme to take out the alien invader. He is (allegedly) thinking of the future: if he wipes out the all-powerful alien, then it can't turn on humankind in the future. At least, he convinces himself of that.

A philosophical question is raised in the film: should Clark Kent have remained a simple man from Kansas and never have become the Superman? Should he just let people die and let calamities happen? The question is answered for us in the character of Diana Prince/Wonder Woman. She withdrew from mankind (her exact words) and just sat around watching. Watching while people died horrible deaths all around her. So, should Superman have done the same? Do these special beings, these 'metahumans', have some kind of moral imperative to intervene, or should they be allowed to be regular people, too? It seems that humans want it both ways.

It seems that humans are saying: "Don't be a superalien ... except when I and my friends and family are in trouble. Then come save us."
66 out of 97 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A very deep, emotional, and at times complex film
o-3154625 June 2017
Batman v Superman: Ultimate Edition: If your looking for a quick, cheap thrill then you might not enjoy this film at the time. This movies theatrical version was butchered by WB and in doing so reshaped the story leaving numerous plot holes. So the Ultimate Edition is the full story and the one worth seeing. Watch 'Man of Steel' before seeing this movie.

There is much to claw through here, so much so that the audience might easily find themselves exhausted from the overall aggression of the film. However, a lot of the story does work. The action is good, and the emotion feels real most of the time.

This film is about Superman trying to become Superman. Trying to help the world, save people, find a place in this world not as an outcast, and yet is looked at has a threat by many. Superman is not from this world, yet He is trying to be human, find a place in this world, be excepted by earths people, and come into his destiny.

This film is also about Batman being Batman for 20 years and losing faith in humanity, and fearing Superman, what Superman can do with his powers.

Great film, great plot, great visuals. ---Yidioo
52 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Boldest Superhero Film of My Time
rmartin558811 July 2018
I'll start by making it clear I have only ever seen the Ultimate Edition. I'm aware of what was cut out for the theatrical release, so I will concede up front that most of the criticisms about pacing, editing, and missing bits of plot at release were merited.

With that caveat out of the way, I must reiterate that this was bar-none the boldest superhero movie I have ever seen. To me, it was arguably the best as well, though "best" shouldn't be taken to mean "most enjoyable." That honor easily goes to "Thor: Ragnarok."

What makes BvS stand out among other films in the genre is that it takes two characters who have been done to death since the 1970s and brings them up to date. I recently tried to watch "Superman: The Movie" for the first time in a number of years, and while it was still good and Reeves will always be iconic, I just couldn't take it seriously. I'll put it this way: If the story in BvS was "stupid" in your view but Superman turning back time by spinning the earth backward on its axis didn't seem like one of the dumbest things you have ever seen -in any movie from any genre- to the extent that it outright ruins the movie for you, then your opinion about BvS isn't worth much. Nostalgic bias was always going to be a problem for this movie, and the way people reacted to and reviewed "Man of Steel" was telling in this regard.

That brings me to Zack Snyder's take on Superman. You know, that guy whose status as the first extraterrestrial ever encountered by humanity was a total non-issue in the old movies. Apparently, Snyder has a similar view to my own in that his take on the Man of Steel makes his being an alien a core piece of his identity. He may look like any other (absurdly attractive) person, but he knows what he is, and that makes him perpetually uncertain of where he fits in this world. He is essentially good and really does care about people, but he struggles to truly empathize with the likes of us. To be human is to be frail, and that is not something he can easily relate to. This is the root of his conflict with Batman.

Just as Clark struggles to genuinely relate to most people, Snyder's Batman either refuses to or otherwise just can't relate to Superman. He doesn't see him as anything but a threat regardless of Superman's clear good intentions. Remember, a small group of Kryptonians were able to bring humanity to the brink of extinction in less than a day, and Bruce Wayne is nothing if not a realist. He didn't know the guy from Kansas. He only knew the god from another world.

While Batman's anger toward and fear of Superman are readily apparent from the start, Superman's inability to imagine things from Bruce Wayne's perspective only becomes truly apparent during their first real interaction. This reminded me of the animated version of the "world's finest" storyline, where Superman judges Batman harshly for using fear tactics and threats of violence (also, actual violence) to get the job done. Superman wasn't willing to consider what it would take for a human man to fight criminals and save innocents, or what that life would do to him over time. Just as Batman didn't see the guy from Kansas, Superman didn't see the man who lives his life trapped in one brutal, unthinkably traumatic moment (this was beautifully conveyed during the film's opening moments), and had spent his whole adult life bearing witness to humanity at its absolute worst.

The conflict between these two characters is as old as human history. They want the same things, but they can't understand one another. So they fight. And what a fight it was.

Watching a fight between, say, Captain America and Iron Man was, to me, more frustrating than anything because each understood the other's perspective perfectly. The fight between Batman and Superman in BvS was genuinely gut-wrenching, as intended, because they would have understood one another if either had tried. The whole sequence hilighted Batman's tactical prowess and ability to control a situation. Maybe the most badass thing about the fight was that it ended exactly where Batman planned. That brings me to the big elephant in the room named "Martha."

I can't recall exactly which YouTuber put it this way, but if you thought the "save Martha" exchange was about their mothers having the same name, you had your brain turned off. The brain-on people have explained this to death, but it bears repeating. This was the moment when Superman became humanized to Batman. He was about to die, and his only concern was for his adoptive human mother. He still believed that the man about to take his life would do the right thing. Even with the cowl on, there was no mistaking the look on Batman's face. It was the look of shame, guilt, and sudden uncertainty that says "What am I doing?"

Turns out even the most brutal, angry version of Bruce Wayne is better than Tony Stark at knowing right from wrong. At knowing that he had gone too far.

From there, the third act was a series of truly impressive (albeit mostly CGI) fight sequences, beginning with what I regard as the undisputed champion of Batman fights. Nothing in the Nolan movies (and especially nothing in the Burton movies) even came close. Go ahead, try to convince yourself that Batman and Bane taking turns punching one another in the face until Bane's mask broke was a good fight sequence. No, this was a fight straight out of "Arkham Knight," and it was glorious.

The battle against Doomsday really was one for the books. From the moment Wonder Woman arrived accompanied by the intense sounds of Tina Guo's electric cello to Superman's tragic, heroic death at the hands of Doomsday, I was glued to the screen. Sure, the mere presence of Doomsday spoiled the end to a degree, but watching the Man of Steel laboring to carry that kryptonite spear towards certain death was no less impactful.

A brief word on Jesse Eisenberg's take on Lex Luthor. At least one other reviewer on this site already said it best when they pointed out that this was his origin story. If you consider his scheme objectively, he is actually one of the more formidable incarnations of the character.

If we're lucky, we'll eventually get to see a Snyder Cut of "Justice League" and find out where this story was actually meant to go. For the record, Joss Whedon and Danny Elfman both should have said "no" to taking a dump on someone else's art.
50 out of 73 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Batman V Superman Delivers the movie everyone has been waiting for.
brendanwong19 November 2017
The whole entire Batman V Superman movie was great and yes even though it felt slow to the majority of the people who watched it but to me I enjoyed every part and every scene of Batman V Superman and when it got to the fight scenes both batman VS Superman and the Doomsday fight it brought so much drama, intensity, and epic performances. So with that being said I give this movie a good 10/10 because it really did go to my expectations and it brought a powerful performance and a powerful yet epic introduction to the upcoming Justice League.
25 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's an OK movie; don't go to the cinema with high expectations
areebkhan61919 March 2016
Sadly, a step down from Man of Steel. First of all, I was a bit skeptical about this movie, and thought the runtime (about 2 and a half hours) was way too long (and I wasn't completely wrong though). The action scenes were better than what we saw in the trailer. Although the doomsday scenes had terrible CGI (you'll know it when you'll see it), but overall I was happy. The movie had a lot crazy-packed action (it was directed by Zack Snyder, what do ya expect?) but the plot didn't know where it was going. A lot of scenes were a treat for me to see and I got goosebumps watching them. There was more to Jesse Eisenberg than what I saw (and hated, like most people) in the trailer. I made a bet to my friend that he'll suck in the movie, guess I'll have to pay up. He really WAS good. But just like any other movie, it's not perfect and has flaws. You can see that Zack tried hard very hard to fit everything nicely into the movie, but over stuffing was bound to happen. Other than that, I think there are some fan-boys who'll be satisfied no matter how bad the movie is. Hope my review didn't give away any spoilers in any way whatsoever, and that you end up enjoying the movie as much as (or more than) I did.
1,254 out of 2,161 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
GREAT MOVIE
michalispetsas20 April 2018
I felt the need to write a review two years after the film was launched, with Wonder Woman and Justice League already out, and Marvel on the other side making great movies as Thor Ragnarok, Black Panther and Infinity on the way.

I can't help but wondering why comic and superhero fans didn't appreciate this film as much as i did. I mean this film is trully awesome, what's not to like?

BATMAN: Just imagine how hard it is after Nolan's and Bail's Batman for someone to create something good. Snyder and Affleck created somethin even better. Affleck was great, physically and emotionally, acting was really good, and the fight scenes... Batman vs Superman, or Batman against all in the warehouse. Have you seen anything like that before or ever again? I couldn't believe that i liked Affleck's Batman more than Bail's (respect for Christian).

SUPERMAN: We all had already watched man of steel, embraced it and knew what was coming, and i mean no more Christopher Reeve (bigger respect,RIP) and less Superman smiling and saving cats from trees. Cavill was really good once again and i didn't feel for one second that he is dark. Appearing at night doesn't mean you're dark. Let's not forget that it was Batman's backround.

WONDERWOMAN: And suddenly there she was. Saving Batman from Doomsday with Junkie XL's amazing score. I still have no words, and Gadot proved it on her solo movie.

And then, the script, the lines, the interaction: the "is she with you", the "do you bleed". And what about the final battle, they all teamed up, every one did his part and Superman killed Doomsday (by the way, also good). And then he died.

The purpose of this review two years after the movie is just to state that we comic and superhero fans waited for long to live this era where serious creators make superhero movies and it is really ungrateful to not just love this movie. I can only put it equal to Avengers (2011). That great. PS: All this negative opinions and reviews resulted in a very anxious Justice League.
41 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sloppy, Misleading, And Disappointing, With Some Incredible Moments Mixed In
ThomasDrufke25 March 2016
Well, the wait is finally over. Batman and Superman are in a big screen film together for the first time in history. The result? A sloppy attempt at setting up the DC Universe. Batman v Superman has its moments though with great performances from almost every one and action that could rival Man of Steel, but it was difficult to not walk out of this film and feel overwhelmingly disappointed. For a film that finished filming over a year ago, you would think Zack Snyder and Warner Bros would make all the effort in the world to edit in and out the stuff that's important and tighten the movie, but that isn't the case.

It's directed by the aforementioned Snyder and stars almost the entire Man of Steel cast along with Ben Affleck and Jeremy Irons as Batman and Alfred respectively. The performances are mostly great all around, including Amy Adams, who unfortunately felt out of place for most of the film. I have no problem with Adams' portrayal or the character of Lois Lane being in the film, but she was misused and overused here. She and General Swanwick from the first film have several small scenes that are used for us to find out more about Lex Luthor. But the problem is, it's a good 15 minutes of the film that could have shaved down to 3 or 4 minutes worth of scenes.

Speaking of Lex Luthor, the casting of Jesse Eisenberg caused a big stew of controversy when it was first announced, and I think it was warranted. I've seen the film twice now and had different opinions both times. The first time I was entertained by Lex but also confused as to why they went the route they did with the character. The second time, I was annoyed by the performance and the over the top portrayal of what should be a menacing villain. A few scenes here and there had those classic Luthor aspects that I've loved from the animated series and films, but the tone they went with for Eisenberg's performance just doesn't work. There's little humor in an incredibly dark film, and Lex seems like he's from a completely different film.

The other big problem the film unfortunately has is its title and marketing. Most of the marketing material was well done and proposed "the greatest gladiator match in the history of man", but the reality is that it's merely 10 minutes of a 2 and a half hour film. The fight itself is phenomenal. It doesn't hold a candle to the fight in the comic book/film "The Dark Knight Returns", but it's probably the best part of Batman v Superman. The focus was all over the place though. Everything from the fight onto the ending is good cinema, but man does it take a long time to get there. I actually sat in the theater saying to myself "I'm kind of bored right now". How in the world does that happen in a superhero film, let alone a Batman film?

There are still plenty of great aspects to this film, however. Diane Lane has a few heart-warming and gut-wrenching scenes. Laurence Fishburne provides some good comic relief as the head of the Daily Planet, Perry White. Jeremy Irons gives us our most involved and bada** Alfred to date. Even Gal Gadot, another questionable casting choice, showed acting chops that I didn't think she had here and got me excited for the Wonder Woman film next year. Which brings me to the weirdest part about my feelings about this film. As many problems as there are, it didn't get me any less enthused for the future of the DCEU. Some few surprises in the film, tease Justice League which was neat. And I'm incredibly stoked for Ben Affleck's solo Batman film. With that said, I don't think I can get that excited for Justice League if Snyder still directs. I have to believe many of the directing and editing mistakes came from him. But perhaps even Warner Bros themselves needs to take some of the fault for giving Snyder too much reign? Another positive though was Hans Zimmer's score, unsurprisingly. I loved the way him and Junkie XL managed to weave in Superman's theme with the new haunting Batman theme.

Ben Affleck may very well be the definitive Batman. Everyone knew his Bruce Wayne would be great but his Batman does not disappoint. There are scenes which rival the action in the Arkham video games in terms of style, creativity, and fluidity. I couldn't be more excited for Affleck to write, direct, and star in the solo film whenever it may come out.

I honestly can't believe I'm sitting here typing an average review for a film that's one of my most anticipated of all time, but I am. There are plenty moments of pure greatness here, but for every incredible scene, there's an unnecessary or strange scene out of place. Sure, I enjoyed the film more the second time I saw it, but I just can't believe how sloppy of a filmmaking job this was. A missed opportunity for Warner Bros for sure.

+Affleck

+Action

+Last 40 minutes are awesome

+Zimmer's score

+Performances

-Except for the tonally off performance by Eisenberg

-Sloppy editing

-Slow and almost boring first half

7.2/10
736 out of 1,260 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Way better than I expected
jdgan2 May 2018
I ignored the bad reviews and watched anyways. This film had a lot to live up to after Civil War was released and I went into this film expecting the worst. It ended up to be the best Superhero film of 2016 to me. One complaint was that this film was more concerned about universe building than telling a great story than Civil War but for me it was the other way around; Civil War felt like a build up to something else and to be honest, I felt that way when I saw the other MCU films. Batman vs Superman however not only had a great story, but it also felt a lot more consistent than Civil War. This film was way more diverse with the cast than the MCU but unlike the MCU, I felt like this film doesn't go overboard with the SJW stuff like the MCU films or The Star Wars Sequel films do. The Visuals were AMAZING, The Score by Hans Zimmer and Junkie XL was AMAZING as well, The Tone is just right as I actually felt for the characters emotionally, The Cinematography kept my eyes glued to the screen, and the script felt really Intelligent and Complex and despite people calling the writing confusing, I was able to piece it together with no problem whatsoever. This film is similar to Empire Strikes back in terms of popularity so over time after the other movies are released, this movie would probably be more popular.

This film was way better than I Expected and deserves another chance. 10/10
109 out of 173 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I am a fan and wanted to love it, but cannot.
jasonbarter24 March 2016
This movie tries so hard... and falls flat on almost every level. It is further proof that DC may be a master of the animated movie and they may be brilliant in the way they approach many of the TV properties but when it comes to movies they still can't pull it together. This is a long movie that feels even longer. Ben Affleck does a GREAT job as Batman, that doesn't mean I LOVED this Batman (I did not) but he does a great job and any problems there are with the character fall on the writer, producers and director. The problem with this Batman is no that he is brutish and violent and angry.. it's that he's not smart. He's not strategic and intellectual , brilliant and a world class detective. He is consumed by anger, hatred, vengeance and brutality (and not in a good way). He is blind in his rage and directs it towards Superman.

The ending, which should be amazing and outstanding fell flat in both viewings I went to. One a sneak peek and one to which I had purchased tickets on opening night and went to see with friends. The ending should be exciting and fun and amazing.. and it just... wasn't. It completely fails on every single level.

You should leave the theater with your mouth wide open from awe unable to withstand the anticipation of the next chapter... most people who were leaving the theater were tired, worn down and felt like they had gone a few rounds with Superman. The movie is tedious and boring with characters that I just did not care about at all. Oh no Louis is in trouble... oh look Batman is Angry, oh look Superman is Angry, oh my Martha is Angry. The problem with a bunch of characters who are essentially the same in attitude is that you just don't care.

The preview of the justice league, which people know is coming was forced as is but would have made a magnificent after credit sequence. It would have at least of given people something to talk about on the way out rather then just shaking their heads in disappointment or yawning.

I liked Man of Steel, I didn't love it but I liked it. This was no where near as good. While I have been a long , long time DC fan and unlike many fan boys have little problem with taking some creative liberties with characters (there are things that work well in years of comics that don't translate on screen), there are things that should evolve but not completely change. Doomsday was sadly, a disaster. In the comic he is a Goliath , matching Superman's physical might and that's pretty much it. His punches are so powerful they shatter buildings (which Snyder seems to really, really, really like to do).. there was no need to alter him to the point they did.

This movie would have been better served had Lex made a clone from Zod's body of Bizarro (makes more sense) and had it been only Batman and Superman, getting to know one another, learning about each other, discovering their differences and ultimately their similarities as they came together in the end to defeat a Superman level menace. After the credits , an email to Wonder Woman with Batman letting her know that he has discovered who she is.

You could even have had wonder woman in it, she was a delightful character (in this film) and I enjoyed her scenes (she gets little screen time but I felt was one of the best characters). As it is it just falls flat.

I enjoyed one of the sequences with who I believe was the Flash (doesn't say) but I do wish it was Grant (CW) as he is the true flash. This movies wrongs can still be righted in the next one and I will likely see it when it arrives but I am not looking forward to it and have no real anticipation of it's arrival. If I got word it was canceled I would shrug my shoulders and hope they got it right next time around.
483 out of 824 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Is this movie deserve the Golden Raspberry Awards ?
mysteryous31 August 2017
I went to the theater to see this movie with high expectation. Leaving the theater slightly disappointed. The movie overall was okay and enjoyable. They were CGI for most scene and it was beautiful. Ben Affleck and Henry Cavill did a wonderful job. Jesse Eisenberg was quite new and fresh for Lex Luthor's role. While Amy Adam 's Louis Lane role feel quite out of place. But the story was easily forgettable and quite confusing . I found myself got lost at some points. Turn out the one that they show at the theater was cut down 30 min by WB. So I find and watch the ultimate edition because I want to give this film another shot. Turn out the director's cut way better and enjoyable and more fit it, the whole story make sense. Zack Snyder really got the vision. Maybe you love it, maybe you hate it, maybe you want to give it a chance with the ultimate edition, maybe you not, But before you decide to love or hate it. You should see it first and have your own opinion.
32 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awesome
ahmadke4 April 2018
First off let me say this film is far from perfect. The overall mood is way too dark for a Superman movie, the blasphemy scattered throughout seemed way too forced and the film does seem unevenly paced at times. That being said, BvS is still an awesome superhero movie; way cooler than all of the lame films marvel made over the years which just happened to get such high ratings here on IMDB, (except for maybe Thor Ragnarok, Ironman and a few others which are actually pretty cool). Batman vs Superman is in fact a real spectacle, a real showdown worthy of the most loved superheroes of our time. Zack Snyder does a great job making everything look great which to me is the most important aspect in a movie like this. Superman and Batman are awesome icons and they deserve to be presented in an awesome way.This film achieves that. Disregard the haters, this is a great film.
12 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
the best CBM ever
poopopi16 May 2018
Best comicbook movie ever, plus great picture, soundtrack, have watched over 70+ times and still not boring. Really love that we have this kind of movie in nerd culture. Seems like director and actors really love comic, I can feel the chemistry between them. Wishing we have this kind of CBM in the future
74 out of 116 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
OK is a two-letter word that describes the most anticipated movie of 2016!
gangstah_vino27 March 2016
Let's be honest! We were all, even marvel fan boys, waiting for this movie. The two most well known superheroes fighting... what could go wrong!? A lot.

The positives:

1. Batman & Alfred; Batfleck was amazing! Ben Affleck represented a batman that is damaged, changed his moral code(which if they play their cards right could be a center piece of solo batman films) and made him more bad-ass because of it.

2. The action: Amazing Action! It's thrilling, exciting and beautifully shot. That is what Zack does though and I expected nothing less.

3. Wonder woman: Supringsly well done. Her as Diana prince was maybe a bit stiff sometimes but she can make the character her own along the way. I trust her that much. Her as wonder woman was amazing!! I got chills when she joined the fight!

4. Cinematography is general. It is a beautiful film to look at. Nicely shot and as I said the action is amazing. The CGI in certain places are a bit "meh" and one shot did take me out of the movie, but that's it.

Now the bad stuff why this movie went downhill:

1. the editing/pacing: Guys, this movie was a mess. The movie begins great with an introduction of batman and some stuff you saw in the trailer. Then we go to a scene... which tells us a story then it goes to another scene. You're invested in that particular and then it jump cuts to another scene. You are seeing 4 different story lines play out in 5 minute scenes after each other. As a general movie goer-ER you will lose track. As a DC-fan, as myself, I could understand everything but i needed to bring all my previous knowledge to actually understand. Really bad pacing

2. Superman: Not everyone will agree on this, but I think they handled superman horribly. He needs to be symbol of hope and yet he is never exactly that. There was certain montage, where it should shown that he was, but i never felt that he was. This representation was too dark. This was also more of a batman movie with superman playing a small part in that, yet batman's world is too dark for superman. If you want to combine their worlds, let Batman play a role in superman's world.

3. Lex Luther. I hated his representation of the power hungry and menacing villain. He played mark suckable and was a complete miscast. I don't care if he was the son of the "real" lex Luther. It didn't fit.

4. Doomsday: A complete waste of a great story arc. Why did they bring him in while there was so much going on..

5. The justice league set up: It felt rushed. The way they shoehorned all the other characters in was lazy writing.

6. the whole motivation of superman fighting batman. batman's motivation was clear and great. Superman's was horrible. They were one conversation away from understanding each other, but they had to fight of course.

7. Many many plot holes, but i cant go into those because i don't wanna spoil the whole movie.

verdict: If you love flashy action.. go watch it in Max. If you like great story.. wait till it releases on blue-ray.

6 out of 10 for a mediocre movie that should been an epic man. I was so disappointed. I see so many DC fans raging this movie was epic, but we're dealing with the phantom menace effect.
646 out of 1,125 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Batman V. Superman: Dawn of Connection. The most under-appreciated film of our generation
jcbutler-3441831 July 2017
A completely unique take on America's two most famous comic book superheroes. An aggressive and ruthless Batman who is older and jaded. A sensitive and reserved Superman who has to deal with the pressures of being a hero and a villain by the world (as seen in a montage in the film known as the "Day of the Dead" scene.) The films major antagonist is Lex Luthor who is also a new, younger, and more psychotic take on the character. Calculated, but keeps up a very charming and humorous appearance.

A common complaint in this film is that the plot and characters are "messy" and not well characterized. But if you take a deeper look, in a realistic situation, Bruce Wayne would develop major aggression and fear after 20 years of fighting crime (as well as the death of his parents at age 10.) And Clark Kent would logically feel a level of guilt for having caused damage to Metropolis following the fight at the end of Man of Steel, though he had no choice since the fight was to save the world. Collateral damage would be inevitable with two superhuman-like figures (Superman and Zod.)

The performances in this film only add to the well written characters. Ben Affleck gives us an enticing interpretation of Batman that is smooth out of the costume and gritty and raw in it. Henry Cavil gives us a nuanced Superman and shows much emotion at times without saying a word, much like Affleck. Jesse Rosenberg gives us a humorous, but mysterious performance with implied past traumas making him the monster he is, also showing so much with facial expressions and not words.

A complaint that is also very common for this film is the cinematography and visual effects. The films stylistic choices in this respect are actually quite fitting for the atmosphere of the film. Dark, with a sense of color and stylistic visual effects (since it is a comic book film.)

The music in this film is as important as anything else. It truly makes you feel the majestic nature of Superman, the dark nature of Bruce Wayne and Batman, and the conniving nature of Lex Luthor. And the motif that has followed itself into the most recent DC film for Wonder Woman.

The films polarizing, but in my mind BRILLIANT director Zack Snyder has sculpted his vision into film. It feels like the film Stanley Kubrick would have made if he loved superheroes. Much that is implied but not directly put into words, which works here because it adds depth and details to be discovered upon in different viewings.

All in all, this film when seen with an open mind, is filled with depth and detail on virtually all levels. It is much more than surface level intrigue. I'd go into it more, but I don't want a spoiler filled review. This is my personal favorite comic book film, and cracks my top 20 favorite films. A unique cinematic experience that leaves me completely satisfied after every viewing.

One last note. This film may never be recognized for the depth I believe it has, but I hope in time it does, the way many of the films recognized as classics now we're received when they were first released, such as 2001: A Space Odyssey, Blade Runner, and even Citizen Kane. So go into this film with an open mind and you might find there is more to it than many give it credit for.
151 out of 249 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cool Movies and Effects
vanovg7 April 2016
Last week some news came out from somebody online who had claimed to have seen a finished version of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. If you were like me, you've been leery of checking it out because you weren't sure how much might actually be true. Now Zack Snyder has spoken out about the spoiler-filled post, although his response doesn't really clear anything up.In a word, to MTV, he called the post "hilarious,which might imply that he's saying that it's mostly, if not entirely, untrue. That might be the case, but then again he could have just said it was untrue and he didn't say that. What he did say, however, is that he doesn't like spoilers. While this may seem odd for the director who's most recent trailer appeared to give away the entire movie, Snyder says that's not the case. Even if you've seen the trailer, you can rest easy, as there is much more we have not seen in then finished film. Says Snyder I have the benefit of seeing the movie. It's cool that think it's too much, and I appreciate people not wanting to know, but there's plenty that they don't know. There's a lot of movie that's not in the trailer. In the process of calling the Batman v Superman Reddit review hilarious, Snyder goes on to talk about how he hates it when spoilers come out. The director would much rather that fans see the movie mostly blind. While he understands that some fans may wish to find the answers before hand, he wants his movies to be mysteries going in. If you're, as an audience member, exploring these articles, looking for answers to questions that you have, maybe you're okay with knowing before you go. It's like an individual taste. But like I said, I want people to see the movie without knowing.Spoilers are a topic that mean different things to different people. While most try to avoid them to some degree, the need to solve the mystery is a nearly universal human experience. We have an inclination to want to know the truth, even while also wanting to be surprised. For most of us getting some information is good, but getting all the information is bad, of course, only getting the details that you want can be difficult.
42 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.