Soul (2020) Poster

(2020)

1,572 Reviews
Moved Me To Tears
TheRealistMax26 December 2020
I can't put into words how close to home this movie hit for me. Not to sound pretentious, but it's more than a movie - it's a life lesson on how to live. It'll teach you that life isn't about careers, goals, passions, or achievements. It's about living, right here in this moment, exactly where you are.

The voice acting, animation, soundtrack, writing - all phenomenal. It is officially the greatest Pixar movie ever created in my book. Kids will enjoy it, but this one is for the older crowd. It's for anyone who's ever felt like their life has been a waste. That they've made too many mistakes, that they should have done something else, that it's too late to live. 10/10
1,737 out of 1,915 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Soul might be Pixar's most grown up film yet.
black-wolf-rise25 December 2020
While I found myself thoroughly engrossed while watching this movie a funny thing happened around the half way point. I realized I hadn't laughed once. Sure I had smiled a few times at the low key humor but never was a joke thrown in my face that seemed like it was just thrown in there to make sure the film didn't lose the kiddos. Admittedly Pixar doesn't usually go out of its way to ensure kids laughing every second but this film REALLY doesn't have that on it's mind.

This is a lovely story about a grown man discovering his true gifts in life and it left a big smile on my face. A very sweet and inventive film that will hopefully leave most of us adults with something to think about when the credits role.
914 out of 1,035 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved it almost to tears (and I'm a big man with a beard)
Bert0826 December 2020
Before explaining why I liked this movie, I'd like to point out that the main idea of the movie is *NOT* that you need find your purpose to have a happy life. It's the exact opposite! I'm not saying this just to be a professor, but because it's really important and that's why I loved the film so much. You don't need to be fixated about something to find a meaning in your life. You need to savour it and learn to enjoy the little moments instead of waiting for something big to happen to reach happiness. It's so profound and refreshing. A movie just about a guy waiting for his big moment and feeling fulfilled after having reached it would have been dull, boring, trite and most of all wrong, like pretty much all "self-help" advices. Instead the opposite idea is presented and if you just pay attention to the dialogues -and the story, really- you'll understand what I mean and most importantly what you might apply to make your everyday life better. But back to the movie I've got to say I almost cried as the end was approaching as much as I was going to turn off the tv when the movie started. The whole initial setting reminded me too much of Inside Out, a film I quite disliked, so I was worried it was a copy of it (it kind of is in the beginnin). But luckily the second half steered away from it and developed in one of the most moving film I've seen in a long time. Undoubtedly one of Pixar's best.
587 out of 694 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another Pixar's classic
nigel-arifin25 December 2020
It's another Pixar's classic, Pete Docter is able to bring another Pixar's classic on to the table. This movie reaches a standard of what Pixar's movie should be, and it definitely will win 2021 best animated features Oscar.

Personally, I like that Soul has constant comedy bit from beginning till the end. Big props to all animators and artists working on this project, the character designs are very unique and I've never seen New York city so alive and as detailed as in this movie.
469 out of 590 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Christmas Gift for the Soul
kfer195725 December 2020
This movie was the perfect gift for Christmas. It reminded me of what being alive is all about. Thank you Pixar and Disney!
444 out of 558 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Adults need to watch this movie
helvin326 December 2020
This movie was, quite frankly, a wake up call. This is a Pixar film for adults and it comes with an incredibly important message. I loved it and I absolutely want to listen to that message. #Goodatwalking
300 out of 389 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"I'm gonna live every minute of it."
rebelliousjf4 April 2021
This is a movie for everybody to remeber how marvellous life is.

I've always had this thing that I didn't really notice in other people: appreciating little things. Like the sunlight coming trough the windows and leaving rectangles on the wall. Or birds that I haven't heard in a while singing in the early spring. Or when a girl has really nice makeup and you tell them that and they smile. Or a hug. Or when parents laugh with/at each other and you could tell they still love each other. Or when you see a kid playing with a chicken and holding it while driving a toy car. Or walking in a forest and being mesmerized by all this ecosystem that has its own rules. Or when you find a gif of how neurons make connections. Or when someone looks at you with love. Like I was just staring at the comet Neowise last summer and I was crying because we don't get to see things like that very often.

Actually, I just really needed a positive movie, given that everything is pretty stressful right now... or always if you have anxiety. Life really is something. I hope I get the courage to go and really live it.
20 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Life Affirming, Every Minute of it...
Xstal25 December 2020
There are times during the first quarter when you may believe someone's spiked your drink with an hallucinogenic as Disney's innovative way of capturing our entrance and exit to the world is developed but, as you will find, this is a film to get you thinking and, more importantly, thinking about yourself - reflecting so to speak. Delivered with the usual Pixar excellence, if this doesn't make you realise that tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life then rewind, pause and start again, because the message is universally important to all - and that includes you!!!
272 out of 360 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolutely incredible.
adamstommy16 October 2020
Pixar has done it again! This film is nothing short of amazing. The animation, story, and voice cast are all stunning. Pixar has continually upped their game and Soul is another masterpiece they can add to their library of artwork. I enjoyed every magical moment of this film.

Oh, and be sure to have tissues handy when you watch! Like most Pixar films, Soul will pull at your heartstrings.
356 out of 484 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Artistically it's a masterpiece, narratively it's a really good one it just needed more time
tmpsvita25 December 2020
Artistically it's a masterpiece without no doubt, it's incredibly inventive like most of the Pixar movies and deeply poetic like just their greatest ones. It manages to use the animation to create and rationalize images, worlds, characters and concepts so complicated and imaginative that usually can only find their form inside minds. But at the same time narratively it feels rushed and this makes it hard to be involved, moved and you find yourself detached; so many aspects about the main character, the dimensions he cross and about the philosophy behind them and the main story needed more attention, a more elaborated development, especially in the first half where the movie don't find the right rhythm running and running without a breath, a beautiful, essential breath. Maybe it just needs to be watched a second time or even more to be fully appreciated. Still it really is a good movie, even a masterpiece under some aspects as already mantioned, but it could have been a masterpiece under every aspect if it lasted longer. It had so much to say and too little time to do it.
392 out of 548 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Ambiguous Spirituality of Soul
BabelAlexandria1 April 2021
A fabulous story about a near-death experience, with some conventional and some interestingly non-conventional statements about life and the afterlife. I really appreciated the major lesson that Joe/Joe's Soul/22 learn over the course of the movie: that one's "spark," or inner motivation, isn't the same as obsession about something (like getting a great gig), because obsession drives many people to become lost souls, despite still living. This observation is made explicitly by one of the "Jerries:" divine(?) beings who control the "Great Before" where souls go before their incarnation, whose straight-line forms suggest computer vector graphics; but they also appeal to quantum mechanics as if to a divine law. These angels of science aren't evil, per se, although the cosmic accountant Terry reminds me of a gnostic demiurge, a being of imperfect knowledge striving for "justice" rather than "mercy." In any case, Soul is enveloped by non-denominational, quasi-scientific, and morally ambiguous pre- and post-mortem realms and their governing angels.

Despite their imperfections, the "Jerries" mean well, and prove their good will at the end, when they offer Joe another chance at living after he selflessly concedes his "badge" (and thus his life) to 22, whom he then shepherds into the next world. For much of the movie, especially when 22 inhabited Joe's body, I was convinced that Joe's body would survive, but that it would no longer be ensouled by his own soul, but by 22. That would have allowed some truly interesting reflections on the nature of personal identity, especially the inner dynamics of major changes to one's motivations and values in life.
12 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
ONE OF THE BEST DISNEY-PIXAR MOVIES
trishiamae-7827131 March 2021
This has clearly a vast perspective towards life. Many of us nowadays find our own purpose and "spark" in life...This movie will add another perspective on life.
12 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Passion to Live in the Moment
TF_say22 March 2021
T: Meaningful message, yet slightly clumsy execution. Clinging too much on the "Inside Out" theme. (7.3/10)

F: I like the way Soul packed and delivered existentialist philosophy through jazz music. (7.3/10)
17 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
abhijitsalvi26 March 2021
10/10 for story from start to end. One of the best Animated movie I have ever seen.
30 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Deeply hit my Soul!
redkyng31 December 2020
I have a strange feeling after watching this movie, i don't know if i'm sad or happy! Such a deep and enormous experience, it hits me so hard as I share a lot of feelings with 22!, i didn't found my way yet but i hope I will!.... i cried many times... a first time at the age of 38!
86 out of 122 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The moral was on point - the movie was ok
srgymrat3326 December 2020
This was DEEP, and something every single person can relate to . This idea of where we come from , why we are here and where are are going are fundamental questions that we struggle with as a species and universal themes make film powerful .

This idea that only people who are "great" have lived great lives is an insecurity we all feel and think about , the notion that everyone can find fulfillment and truth is powerful and something we can all unite behind . These ideas are presented clearly and well in a way almost anyone of any age can relate to.

The animation was good, there were some really funny parts , some pop culture references that were amazingly creative .

My main beef comes in with the lack of connection I felt to the characters , they were perfectly likable but I never really found myself cheering for them the way I wanted to . Parts of the plot are unnecessary and over complicated and I probably would not watch this movie again as much as I can recognize that it was well done - it wasn't as entertaining as it needed and not quite artistic enough to make up the difference .

I think everyone will like this film and many will love it - satisfactory movie and use of time .
208 out of 311 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Everyone in all ages deserves to watch this movie
Filmiarvustus29 March 2021
"Soul" is about a musician who is transported out of his body and he must find his way back into actually living. This film is transcending the depths of Pixar's most introspective animations. Every facet comes together beautifully to create an emotional symphony, resulting in a heartbreakingly optimistic narrative. It feels like too much for kids, but the script allows it all to come together beautifully with the emotionally powerful third act, including a heartwarming tear-inducing score and a relatable, well-explored story about the meaning of life. "Soul" may not have the laugh-out-loud sense of humor as other Pixar greats do, but it will touch hearts nonetheless.
29 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of Pixar's best
avril_larissa22 October 2020
I was lucky enough to see this at the London Film Festival, where the film was preceded by a (Zoom) interview with the co-directors and producer. It gave some background information, including the score, new animation techniques, and the challenges posed by the pandemic, that really helped to appreciate the film more. (Seriously, there are some amazing things done with animation.)

Pixar has once again done a beautiful job bringing to life a world that exists only in our imaginations, this time showing their interpretation of what our souls are really like. I actually regularly forgot this was a film for children as it is packed full of jokes for adults (especially millennials, who will be taking their own kids to see this) and poignant, thought-provoking moments. It's been ages since I laughed so heartily at a film. And yet it also brought me to tears at one point - it is Pixar after all!

I've taken off one star because the ending had me feeling like there would be a post-credits scene. But I can understand why they ended the film the way they did, and it was probably more realistic that way.

After so many sequels and prequels over the years, some better than others, it's nice to see a really fresh concept from Pixar again. It is beautifully executed and I highly encourage everyone to go see it. And support your local cinema if you can!
181 out of 272 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Incredible Movie
slamdunk-8001325 December 2020
Loved every scene of the film. It brings a different perspective to life and how you should enjoy it.

The animation is absolutely stunning.

For me this movie is a must watch.
104 out of 181 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A beautiful perspective on the meaning of life
leslie32k29 December 2020
This movie might be more intended for adults than children. It reminds you about the things that make being alive so great. It's not about making it big, it's about the little moments that happen every day. Anyone who regrets a decision they made, or who constantly thinks about where they would be if they would have chosen a different path in life should watch this movie. In 2020 when everything seems so uncertain and the concept and attainability of traditional "success" seems out of reach, this movie was able to put me in a positive headspace.
55 out of 91 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful, Sophisticated, but Forgettable.
terrykennethbarber26 December 2020
Its a beautiful looking movie, with a touching story. Though I didnt feel as though any of the characters were memorable. I also feel like this movie may be a little too deep and sophisticated for kids.
87 out of 151 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Falls flat
yellowmarlin25 December 2020
Disappointingly for Disney/Pixar, this movie never quite sparked into life. It trundled along being moderately enjoyable but it never really connected with me like Coco or Up did.
186 out of 339 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a movie...
alperbuzy27 March 2021
It's been a long time not to watch a movie like this. Pixar's animated movies were real fun for me when I was a kid but I see now that there is no age for this kind of beautiful movies. This movie was awesome with its plot. It shows us that the life we live is a gift for us and we need to use it however we'd like. Thanks for this masterpiece Pixar...
13 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lots of morals, too little film.
lanna-sousa14 April 2021
SOME PEOPLE ARE SCARED TO BE HONEST HERE - at least, that's what I think.

Yes, this movie is super well done (pixar quality all the way) !

But, what I feel is... This not a children's movie.

It's just a good message given on proper timing.

They were so focused to pass a message, that the entertainment part was sooooo lacking... I HONESTLY got bored in the middle of it and got really close to sleeping on my couch.

What kept me going was the message, which was super predictable, but irresistibly sweet... AND SUPER ON TIME!

Visually interesting, interesting plot, revolutionary characters.

The magic and wonder, we are used to get from pixar, is just missing... The movie also lacks the super relatable characters and the fun plot full of funny scenes... That I was hoping to see!

I almost cried, and it was beautiful sometimes... BUT I didn't want to watch a sundance premiered drama short film... and that's what it felt like.
17 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Its ok
krinnylife25 December 2020
I enjoyed the plot and theme of the movie, however it was slow and kinda dragged on. My kids were bored too. Still worth watching, but I dont think it's a 10 like some of the other reviews.
244 out of 461 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.