Battle Drone (2018) Poster

(2018)

Fairly mundane
Leofwine_draca16 February 2019
BATTLE DRONE is a fairly mundane kind of sci-fi action flick, shot on the cheap in Romania with a few B-movie faces popping up to propel the story along. The story has a bunch of mercenaries teaming up to battle some evil androids that look exactly like the suit in the remake of ROBOCOP, so originality isn't particularly important here. Sadly, this is let down by slapdash writing with scant regard to characterisation, and poor direction which utilises extreme slow motion in some of the fight sequences which looks absolutely ridiculous, alongside cheap and fuzzy CGI elsewhere. Louis Mandylor, Michael Pare and Dominique Swain all work hard to bring some life to this, but the odds are tipped against them.
Everyone set us up.
nogodnomasters9 April 2018
A group of mercenaries are set up to battle drones. "A"Team vs Terminators. They battle at Chernobyl (filmed in Romania).

This is your typical mindless action film. What I liked about this film is that they knew what it takes to make a decent film like this: crazy characters, swagger music, slow motion fight scenes, and plenty of them, humor, and a love/hate relationship. Nothing much in a twist. Good banter. It is what you expect.

Guide: No swearing, sex, or nudity. Plenty of killing.
1 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is ... war
kosmasp3 October 2021
You have to like the slow motion speed up effect ... if you do, the movie will be like having multiple ... highlights throughout (you can switch highlights with a different word if you like). The actors obviously have fun running with the quite ridiculous plot ... and I think it translates well onto the screen.

Good special effects, no real surprises story wise and a lot of action and stunts. This is for B-movie fans of days gone/past ... characters could have used a few tweaks, but still got mad love for low budget movies with a heart like this ...
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gets to be monotone pretty quickly
Wizard-85 March 2018
Remember when Michael Pare was once a rising A-list movie star in major Hollywood releases? Well, that was such a long time ago, that I would understand why you may think that he has always slummed it in low budget B movies such as this one. Now, I definitely have nothing against B movies - I watch them all the time, and they can be pretty enjoyable at times. But this particular one, while far from the worst I have seen, is pretty bland stuff for the most part. Oh, the director does try to throw in some fancy camera tricks here and there(such as "bullet time" shots), but they come across as pretentious and in-your-face instead of being cool and blowing your mind. But that's not the real problem with this movie. The main problem with the movie is that while there is plenty of action, for the most part it has a very routine and familiar feel to it. It isn't exciting, it doesn't make you care for the protagonists' survival, and it isn't much better than simply showing people casually shooting their guns endlessly. The movie is fairly well photographed, but the pretty look of everything doesn't add much.

Oh, and the title is wrong - it should have been pluralized.
14 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Battle Drone: A HUGE surprise
Platypuschow30 March 2019
Battle Drone, with a title like that you have to assume the worst right? Based on the cast and plot outline the film sounded like a rather run of the mill Scyfy Original type and I guess it is, but an oddly good one.

It tells the story of an elite mercenary team tasked with a mission in Chernobyl. Once they arrive however they come under attack from an unstoppable unknown force that pushes their skills to the limit.

I'm not a big action movie fan and Scyfy originals though charming are usually seven shades of awful so Battle Drone never really stood a chance. So why have I rated it so high?

The reason, well because it's suspiciously enjoyable. The cast are familiar faces who you'll likely recognize but not put a name to, they demonstrate why you remember them in the first place and are a bunch of decent character actors. The SFX are well above par, this is not your usual Scyfy Adobe Aftereffects ugliness. The plot is very enjoyable, the cinematography is stylish and it's just all put together nicely.

Sure this isn't even a B-Movie, it's C, it's made for television stuff but it shows what people with competence can do despite the little resources they have at their disposal.

I really enjoyed Battle Drone and can confidently say I'm shocked at that fact. The very definition of take your brain out entertainment, this was a lot of fun.

The Good:

Stylish

Memorable moments

Competently made

Good soundtrack

Interesting characters

The Bad:

Bit goofy a couple of times
18 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
wow
ops-5253510 June 2018
I love this movie.really a stupendous piece of motion picture action art, full of loop holes in the plot,but the action never stops,made brilliant through extremely well made filmography,uswe of music,and grave serious men and women and funny acting. if you likefull automatic robot soldiers,mercinaries,blood , guts determination and,rravaging shooting and fist fights above the normal,well then this is the one for you.

the story are simple,it is shoot , fight or die to the bitter end,mix that with a whole kot of situation comedy,then youll have a film like battle ddrone.

most of all i liked the initiation of the film,first 10 minutes are 12 stars worthy.. i might be wrong because there has been made so many robocop/killer drone novies through the last 30 years,but i think you should take my word,that this bwas a fresh breath of super duper action.enjoy....i did.
0 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Any comparison to Predator, the A-Team or the Expendables is an insult to either franchise.
Top_Dawg_Critic3 March 2018
This is the cheesy mess you get when a stuntman wants to become a writer and director. Stay a stuntman.

Mitch Gould's attempt to write and direct this film failed miserably. The only redeeming quality and the reason for a 3 and not a 1/10 is the concept of the story, and the fairly decent costumes of the 'drones'.

The dialogue was so cheesy, it made Louis Mandylor's character unbearable, as was his acting, and for that matter the rest of the cast. The blame for the acting failure goes primarily to the director for failing to direct his cast properly.

The slow-mo action scenes were also unbearable. This entire dragged out film was basically me watching a 5 year old play a video game and pause to change the viewing angles in slow motion. Right from the starting credits, I was hoping I wouldn't see any more of this cheesy directing, yet the film was full of it. Then you have the endless dragged-out gun fights of constant back and forth shooting where both sides just keep missing. Did a 5th grader write the screenplay? And what's with the western themed score?

I'm guessing either someones rich dad funded this mess or someone won a lottery - and wanted to become a filmmaker.

This film hurt to watch. Don't waste your time with it. A very generous 3/10 from me.
37 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really really good.....
s327616925 March 2018
Take an A-Team style bunch of misfits, throw in some super human killer military androids called drones, shake it all up with action, martial arts and gun fights. And there you have it. Pure B grade "fun".

Indeed, that's what defines this flick, its really really enjoyable. It unselfconsciously revels in what it is and this is why it works. Its also well paced and the special effects whilst not show stopping are at least decent.

Ignore the A film crowd and give it a go. A B rating of seven out of ten from me.
3 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terminator rip-off.
bettycjung8 April 2018
4/5/18. Not too bad for a Terminator rip-off. Enough action to keep you watching. However, don't expect to be mentally challenged by the plot.
12 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
camera work is simply amazing
markthomassintek2 September 2018
REVIEW - BATTLE DRONE

The Expendables meets the A Team in this film, now being a Male sometimes I do enjoy a film with lots of gun shots, explosions and some good fight sequences and the film delivers them again and again and again.

Basically a group of professional mercenaries go head to head with some mean looking droids who can certainly fight but can't aim for toffee, watch the film and you'll see what I mean but and a big but while the film did have its moments all in all I did rather enjoy this piece of mindless violence.

Again I'm not posting any spoilers but just get a beer, bag of popcorn and enjoy this.

I must just add at this point that the camera work is simply amazing, with the way the camera slows down and then speeds up, wonderful work!

Not the best but certainly not the worse.

Rating 7 out of 10
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Battle drone
dilipbts10 July 2020
So sometimes you just want to watch a sloppy movie on your couch and not give a crap. This is one of those movies. It's not that great, but it's not bad at all. The action was decent, not a huge fan of Slomo though. The gun fights were pretty good and each character has their own "class" if you will. You got your heavy gunner, sniper, boom stick, ninja guy, etc. I actually loved watching the super and the ninja kick but. The robots were pretty cool. The first time you see them it looks like terrible cgi. Then later it gets much better. It's like they forgot to take out the bad shot early on. I recommend this if you want a dramaless shooter.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Video game cutscenes strung together
bitbucketchip18 October 2021
The cast are doing their best but the script is terrible. A robocop type droid has its vacation in Chernobyl disrupted by a squad of dopes spouting the worst lines since the last presidential debate. Armed only with small arms with unlimited ammo, the dopes are picked off one by one by the invincible droid. This movie suffers from the Superman Effect, where though the first few thousand bullets failed to have any effect, the dopes keep shooting anyway.

Dominique Swain is hilarious as a sniper who can barely carry the weapon and keeps looking at it like she's trying figure out what it is and why the props guy gave it to her. The leader firing two pistols at once is as stupid and amateur hour as ever.

Eventually horror movie fashion they run out of dopes and we're left with hero and the final confrontation. Or do I assume, because I turned it off before the end.

Three stars for the actors giving it their all. Zero stars for an idiotic script and for not hiring a military consultant. Three stars.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not as much of a B-Movie as you'd expect!
GavWaskett13 September 2020
Awful and would just be noise in the background. I ended up stopping doing work and enjoying the film.

A group of mercenaries are hired by the CIA on a mission by mission basis and their next job is in Chernobyl, unfortunately for the 6 mercenaries and their CIA handler, the once deserted wasteland is home to a whole bunch of killer robots, out to add them to the ghosts of Chernobyl.

You have all types of mercenaries here that you will ever need, the disgraced Captain who should never have been disgraced, the hard as nails women sniper, the psychopathic one, the silent ninja one, the guns specialist and the big Russian indestructible one.

However, you also have a pretty decent cast, Louis Mandylor, bulking up from My Big Fat Greek Wedding, Natassia Malthe is very good as the sniper, Dominique Swain in the first action role I have seen her in and I'm now trying to find other films on her reel, as she impressed and Oleg Taktarov as the Russian in all films needing a big Russian (Predators, National Treasure, Rollerball and Miami Vice). He's bliming good as a big Russian, though a bit typecast!

Expect friendly banter between mercs, choreographed fight scenes, the ninja one doing ninja things, the psycho one being psychopathic, the women proving they can kick but as well, the gun one using guns, the Captain brooding over his lot in life and looking out for his team and the big Russian one being big and Russian.

The film also goes against what I thought was going to happen, I thought it would be a by the numbers, everyone gets taken out one by one, but in many ways, I was so wrong. The cast obviously enjoyed making it and for 90 minutes of action, it's worth a go. A 13/20 from me though I reckon many of you will disagree with me.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not horrible typical B movie stuff
rchevalier-3730321 January 2021
Pretty hackneyed crew of bad good guys with token pretty sniper who appears to be an idiot, token Russian bear who reads classics, little crazy sociopath, white guy ninja with Japanese name, some cardboard guy and nee miss leader. Joined by CIA agent with excessive eye makeup who despite being in many films has all the acting chops of a wrinkled newspaper. Add in usual govt baddies and a phoned in performance by Michael Pare and some vaguely interesting multi million dollar battle drones piloted remotely that can be taken out with a single deleted uranium round which costs much less than a million dollars.

Now let's not forget firearm handling by these trained mercs that could be done better by cheese eating high school kids, magazines that never run out except when needed to for "dramatic effect" and drone weapons that never run drive and given their volume of fire would need a small car to carry the ammo. The battle drones went to the Imperial stormtrooper school of shooting so they cannot hit anything even at contact distance.

If by now you wonder how I could give this four stars it is because despite bad writing, infantile dialogue and wooden performances it still moves along even with an over abundance of Max Payne style bullet time shots and it is disposable no thinking required fun.

And despite all its faults it's still better than Ava
Ouch
editing_budgie30 August 2018
I believe that if you can't say anything nice about something or someone don't say anything at all.

That being said, this "movie" is a steaming pile of sexist garbage that has the look of hammered horsecrap. I got to the 10 minute mark, when all of the tough guys are belittling the only female on their crew of a-holes on her lack of education. What is this 1957?

Expandables meets A-team? More like Excrement meets Screen.

Not sure what I was expecting as this was directed by a guy who did stunts on Ultraviolet
4 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprisingly Entertaining!
Scot_Rutherford1 September 2018
Over the top 1980's-style action film where the good guys are so good they fight robot drones. Fun!
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Think like a cat! Trust no one but yourself! Fight or run to live.
breemoria18 September 2018
Betrayal is nothing new by governments who demand 100% loyalty. It works the same way in criminal organizations. It always strikes me as stupid when underlings wait for their psychotic bosses to kill them without firing first. What I liked about this film was the mercenaries being able to adjust their tactics and taking out the bosses in the end. It's always a happy ending when the mercs overcome overwhelming odds using smarts beside their brawn.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
B movie
injun-8362025 January 2019
Decent for a B movie. When you start watching it you want to stay till the end.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Expendables A-team meets bad robocop battle suits
3_the_monkey10 July 2018
I enjoyed it, a tad too much slow-mo for my liking but the actors all did a good job and the cgi was decent. I liked the banter and comradery, did it have faults yes, was it as good as expendables or the a team, no but both were huge budget movies with our times best actors and action heroes. It's better than a B movie, feels good and made with heart, as such I grade it comparing it to Expendables and the A-Team, therefore 5/10 when I give Expendables and the A-Team 8/10.
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Expendables" meets the "A-Team" - You are kidding - Yes?
centaur11352 March 2018
The person who made that analogy has obviously not watched much of the A-Team. there is no resemblance at all. Don't be allured by that click-bate as I was.

This is an unremarkable story, as is much of the filming. About half way through I determined that I had better things to do.

My score of 3 goes to the amount that I watched. The only character of interest is Alexandra Hayes played by Dominique Swain, She does a brilliant (10/10) job in a less than average story. But unfortunately does not save the movie. My score for the movie would have been 1 if it had not been for Dominique Swain's contribution.

As the story progressed it seemed to regress to that of a video game.

In summary, A great movie for people of low IQ
18 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
gret concept....not enough to make it good
michaeltraficante10 November 2020
Love the concept, but if they had more funding for graphics, betterscript writing....story writing...etc i would be a good film, well actually for robotic drones they seem to be WAY to easily taken out....over all not a good film...def in the same level as a syfy film
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
drones are just terrible...and bruce willis wana be
michaeltraficante10 November 2020
Badass robotic drones cant even open a wooden door, cant even aim, aparently rope stops them....then you got the dude whose trying to act like bruse willis.....then takes ten minutes to make a multiple mile shot...with a pistol
Action and Humor
brixtonwa26 March 2018
The movie starts off a little slow but picks up and stays pretty strong throughout the whole picture. The storyline is one that you've probably seen multiple times in many pictures however this seem to work rather well for this type of genre at a picture. The fight scenes were good despite them being in slow-motion a lot of the time however it was well acted and catch your attention throughout the whole picture. Well worth watching on those days when it's cold and rainy outside you just wanna bucket of popcorn and a movie to watch.
1 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Actually Enjoyed It
roopesh-chandra-bose20 November 2020
Well as far as B Grade movies ho, this is pretty good. Sure, has elements of Matrix style fighting with the characters loosely based on The Losers and The Expendables and The A-Team and RoboCop and Predator and maybe more. The story is passable and the acting and action was quite good. The close up fights were well synchronized. Overall not a bad deal. Trust me I have seen much worse movies which were supposed to A grade. Go for it :)
D class movies
iamdcontingency5 April 2020
Useless cliche-ridden action sci-fi film with silly slow motion and senseless gunfights.