Tiger House (2015) Poster

(2015)

Ignore cevolatile review
garethalanthomas26 September 2015
If you watch the movie, most of the plot holes are explained, (locked windows, the boyfriend takes the key from the lock to stop the girl leaving early on in the film, the mother does scream when untied but her lover is lying on the floor with his head a bloody pulp from a baseball bat!) I could go on closing the holes, but suffice to say, It's not a great film, but I have seen a lot, lot worse. The cast is good and acting OK, but it is a story told many times before and in many cases better. I think it is a vehicle for some up and coming stars Kaya Scodelario and Ed Skrein to put on their CV as both are now in big budget Hollywood movies, Maze Runner and Transporter:Refueled respectively. GT
19 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I love UK films
SillyGayBoy27 December 2015
What I have noticed about UK films is they are quite a bit different then US films, less big effects, more realistic, etc. The movie never turns out how I think it will and ends up as something else.

What we have here is a suspenseful movie about a house being burglarized. It was well acted and suspenseful. I felt the writing maybe could have been a bit better but it was what it was. I guess I had hoped it would scare me more then it did but it wasn't bad.

I like films with a strong female character and this seems to fit that description well, although she is younger then women we usually see as the strong roles, but it works. It shows how someone would behave if they become part of a big scary situation.

I enjoyed it but feel people should come in with realistic expectations. This invites comparison to The Purge which I felt was a misfire, and not really enjoyable at all. This film however takes a house invasion and is able to keep suspense and interest with it, which I don't consider an easy task.
12 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Generic but highly exiting!
movies-by-db14 November 2015
Indeed ignore other reviews written. This was a great watch. Kaya Scodelario was awesome and Ed Skrein really impressed me as well. I had seen him before in something I can't really remember and wasn't impressed, so when I heard he was doing the (unnecessary) Transporter reboot I was disappointed, this however was a great edgy performance from him.

The whole film by the way was pretty damn edgy. Maybe a couple small holes here and there, sure, but most were adequately explained. I particularly love this type of home invasion, one location, against the odds story done on a shoestring budget. And it brought some old school nailbiting tension as well.

I really don't understand the criticism. Of course this story has been done before, but this one definitely had it's own originality. This combined with gorgeous photography, a gorgeous leading tough girl, and an overall great cast, always nice to see Dougray Scott in action, he's just great at dying slowly, made for an excellent exiting watch. 7/10
19 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Horrible plot makes movie unwatchable.
cevolatile30 August 2015
Although the dialogue and characters in this movie aren't bad, it's practically unwatchable due to the lack of plot, and terrible directing and editing. Here are some problems with this movie: The house has at least 10 cameras inside, but no smoke detectors or burglar alarm? There are at least 5 scenes where the heroine tries and fails to open windows throughout the house. Why? Are they locked from the outside??? In one scene she unties her boyfriend and his mother and here are their reactions: The boyfriend sits there all self satisfied, useless and relieved as if he just got done taking a huge crap. The mother decides to scream at the top of her lungs as if it never occurs to her to keep her voice down. Later in the movie the mother inexplicably has a shotgun (the shotgun was left outside in the previous scene, so how does the mother who was locked in a cupboard now have it?) In another scene the bad guy is climbing a ladder to get the heroine. The view will find himself thinking "Hit him in the head as he is climbing the ladder" but instead she just screams and cries, even though she already stabbed him with scissors twice in the previous scene. The viewer thinks she finally worked up the courage to do something smart or effective, but no. There were only about 3 good scenes in the whole movie and here are some other plot holes: The criminals don't bring any supplies but when they suddenly need a power drill it's just laying on the table. Likewise when they need gasoline they find a jug of gasoline in the boyfriends bedroom! ALMOST NO ONE KEEPS JUGS OF GASOLINE LAYING AROUND THEIR BEDROOM!

There are a LOT of problems with this movie and I don't want to go on forever but perhaps the biggest one that I haven't mentioned yet is the terrible editing/sound. Every shot and every scene, even the mundane ones like an argument between mother and son, has terrible spooky sound effects and noises as if this were a roman Polanski horror film. It might not have been so bad except it's in EVERY scene. So when the bad guys actually enter the house you already want to turn the movie off because you're so annoyed. And the editing: the house has 10 security cameras and every time we are watching a scene through a security camera the image flickers and distorts while all this scary music plays. It's as if they thought they were editing "The Ring". Also, every cut, every dissolve, is done with an accompanying horrible sound effect. This isn't even a horror movie lol! I don't know what they were thinking.

I do want to mention that some of the dialogue and characters are pretty good, although each bad guy inexplicably wants to tell his life story to the heroine. The first time this happens it makes sort of sense cause the guy is really stressed and just sort of talking. But in the very next scene another bad guy tells her his life story! And these stories aren't even interesting they are much like the plot of the movie: nothing happens!

The director apparently did Shakespeare and other off-Broadway plays before this his feature debut. You would think the directing would be better, but I guess all those years of doing plays left him with the unquenchable thirst to add endless sound effects and editing tricks to his first movie. He should have watched Glenn Gary Glenn Ross or The Six Degrees of Separation to learn how to translate play-directing to movie-directing. But he didn't and instead produced this piece of crap movie that I can't believe I finished watching. I'd love to talk about all the plot holes and stupid things that happen in the end of the movie (like the house exploding or the fact that the fire department never comes even though they live in a rich neighborhood). In conclusion, I wouldn't let the director or editor of this movie anywhere near another film project, ever (unless it was like Hellraiser 6 or some other stupid movie where a million spooky sound effects every scene might be fitting. I had a reoccuring thought while I was watching this movie and I still don't know the answer: "Boy that scene had a lot of problems, why didn't anyone care?" Maybe the director will write an essay one day explaining how movies turn out like this.
40 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Strong action thriller
TdSmth54 July 2016
A teenage couple spends a night at his place. The mother doesn't like the girl, Kelly, because she thinks her son has a future and Kelly only stacks shelves at a supermarket. The house is rather large and has cameras everywhere. Occasionally we see poor quality views of all 8 cameras on a screen. There we learn that 4 masked guys kill the dog and make their way into the house, just as Kelly lets her boyfriend know she's pregnant. The kid hears noises, leaves the room with a bat, a scuffle ensues and suddenly someone opens the door forcing Kelly to hide under the bed just in time. It's two bad guys. One of them, the brains of the operation, has a chunk of glass in his abdomen and is bleeding profusely. They put him on the bed while another guy monitors the radio.

In the meantime two other bad guys have left, kidnapping the kid's father. They need him for their heist--it sounds like they may be robbing a bank. The bad guys learn that the mother is actually a dr so they get her to attend the injured guy for a bit. She discovers Kelly under the bed, but soon enough the mom and the kid are again gagged and bound in the main bedroom. At some point Kelly manages to escape the bedroom. Then some stranger knocks on the door and comes in, he is killed by the other bad guy who's sort of the dummy of the group. Kelly is discovered by the bad guys and hides in an attic. There she finds a bow and arrows that she'll have to use to escape the situation.

What follows then is some back and forth between Kelly running and hiding from the guys--the injured guy is in real bad shape now--who have terrible peripheral vision. TAt this point the other two guys have returned now with the loot from their successful heist. There's a twist in the story and Kelly will have to become more proactive to get everyone out alive.

Tiger House is pretty enjoyable for what it is. While it doesn't create nearly enough tension as when Kelly is hiding under the bed with a bad guy right on the bed, it's not entirely dull and boring as movies of these sort tend to be where the entire action takes place in a few rooms of a house. Once the bad guys show up they are the only ones doing the talking. One turn of events related to one of them is a bit too unlikely but the twist near the end was very enjoyable. It also helps that Scodelario is rather attractive.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a joke
RotaryCannon6 December 2015
This film is completely unbelievable and ridiculous.

I don't want to give any spoilers by mentioning specific things that happen so that you hopefully read this BEFORE deciding to watch it and save yourself a complete waste of time.

As you will know from the brief description this is a home invasion thriller, quite early on the film starts to make you realise that luck is always on the side of the female lead who is trying to avoid being caught by the gang who break into the house. What starts as a few situations where you think "that's a bit daft and unrealistic, how did she get away with that?" quickly snowballs into a completely laughable chain of events but unfortunately it's not 'so bad it's good', it's just SO BAD.

The presence of Dougray Scott initially encouraged me to think the film might have some redeeming features but unfortunately his character makes some perplexing decisions that seem to be completely at odds with his role as leader of the gang and the loyalty shown to him by them.

When I reviewed this it had a score of 4.9/10 but I gave it the benefit of the doubt because of some other positive reviews but really it deserves a lower score because it is just so completely unbelievable.
19 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Girl Power
kirbylee70-599-52617929 April 2016
Once again low budget film makers have created an interesting film that rivals some major releases when it comes to creativity. The end result may not be the greatest movie ever made but at least you have a group here making an attempt at something new. With the loss of drive-ins across the country as well as double features a thing of the past, direct to DVD is the only way these independent films get made. And on occasion you get something decent.

Kaya Scodelario stars as Kelly, a young girl desperately in love with boyfriend Mark. But Mark's mother isn't fond of the young girl, seeing her as someone from the wrong side of the tracks and just trying to latch on to her son. So the pair do what any young couple does, she sneaks into his bedroom at night via the second floor window. Their romance takes a dive when Kelly reveals to Mark that she is pregnant, something he's not too happy about.

That night gets worse as the pair are surprised by the sound of someone in the house other than his parents. Checking things out Mark finds a group of kidnappers in the house who take him and his mother hostage and his father, a banker, to the bank as a plan to rob it. Kelly, aware of what is going on first tries to get out the window forgetting that Mark locked it the night before and has the key on him. She quickly hides beneath his bed and tries to figure out just what to do.

An altercation resulted in the leader of the gang Shane (Dougray Scott) being severely wounded. He sends part of the team with the father and two men stay with him. Of course, the bed they choose to leave him in is Mark's.

As the movie progresses Kelly is left to her own devices to find a way to either get help or take on this trio of bad guys before the rest of the gang returns. Rather than go the route of "Die Hard" ingenuity or Rube Goldberg contraptions, the screenwriters here have Kelly employ whatever she has on hand to her advantage. Her first feat is to get out from under the bed and make her way around the house. Then she begins to find ways to deal with the problem first hand.

This would make the film a variation of the hostage turned heroine but rather than leave it at that more complex situations are brought into the mix. A secret that turns the story on its head late in the game comes off surprising but in review makes sense. The movie leaves you with an ending that's quite satisfying for all involved.

Some have really ripped this movie to shreds in various reviews. For me it wasn't award winning material but it was a pleasant enough 80 minutes that was far superior to many films that are released this way. The acting of all involved was quite good, especially Scodelario as Kelly and Ed Skrein as a member of the gang with a penchant for violence. The movie won't be one that you'll remember long after seeing it but for an evening's entertainment it does a fine job.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Decent home-invasion thriller
michael-320416 November 2015
Tense, well-crafted home invasion thriller that doesn't, in the end, add much to the genre and doesn't leave much of an impression once it's over. I appreciate that the screenplay by Simon Lewis reaches for some thematic resonance about characters at critical turning points in their lives without belaboring the points or becoming hackneyed, but the character development takes a back seat to the mechanics of a twisty plot that isn't as compelling as it should be. This film has both too much and too little going on. It could have been longer and I wonder if it fell victim to some overzealous pruning. Still, crisp direction by Tom Daley and a good performances all around make this an entertaining watch while it lasts. I just wish I wasn't already starting to forget that I saw it.
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Keep your brain on ice for this one and you might just enjoy it
Seth_Rogue_One15 February 2016
Flawed in many ways, countless of plot holes and cringe-worthy set-ups I literally uttered out 'Really!?' at one point when the girl managed to cause a diversion with a alarm clock, won't spoil anything but when you see it you'll know what I am talking about.

But somehow it still managed to re-gain my interest even though it did through me out of the loop a bunch of times, so yeah you need to look past a lot of logical loopholes in this movie to enjoy it.

So even though the script is flawed in many ways the atmosphere, acting and visual managed to carry the movie up just enough to become a decent watch although far from great.

A similar movie that's better is 'THE AGGRESSION SCALE (2012)' so I'd recommend that before I recommend this but if you've seen that already and want to watch something similar than yeah this could be an acceptable choice, however don't expect it to be as good as that.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
pretty enjoyable flick
ginobean10 December 2015
solid ensemble cast. story kept me interested to the end.

i think it's fairly believable in terms of what happens. i'm not sure why some of other reviewers seemed to really hate it..

One gripe is that the Dougray Scott character was portrayed a bit too positively. I think it would have made more sense for him to be a bad guy through and through to the end.

The psychopath character was pretty good and believable. I could sort of understand his twisted logic and how it made sense in a certain light.

The lead girl was pretty good as well. She behaved in a fairly reasonable manner and took some necessary risks along the way.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unforgivable Plot Point- Watch if you're desperate and willing to stomach it
solacemills26 December 2015
Don't know how taboo it is to review a movie if you couldn't even watch the majority of it but I'm going to do it anyways.

Within about 5 minutes I had to just cut my losses. In those first 5 minutes, a glaringly unbelievable, and for me unacceptable, plot point was established. The main character (didn't make it far enough into the film to find out her name) played by Kaya Scodelario is seen in a cutesy, home-video situation with her boyfriend as they record each other in some field. In this scene, they introduce Kaya's character as being a pretty serious gymnast, or at least seriously dedicated to it. She states that she wakes up early (at 5 am) to train for two hours,daily. She turns down a cigarette when offered, says she doesn't drink either because she has to keep in shape for gymnastics. I will reiterate again, she is maintaining her body because it is necessary for her sport. It's clear, it matters to her...a great deal.

After that exchange, cut to her boyfriend pulling out an antique crossbow that he pretentiously claims he had to bring back in pieces from France (I say pretentiously as Kaya's character had previously called him posh, which I believe is synonymous with pretentious). Kaya's character expresses disinterest, and even discomfort with him wielding the crossbow. He proceeds to try to goad her into trying it out. He loads the crossbow and then as anyone who has never and should never wield a crossbow does, he plays around with it inching towards her with it LOADED. The crossbow isn't in frame anymore, Kaya's character is protesting loudly. At this point I paused and wondered, I knew someone was going to be shot but who? I hoped for the idiot boyfriend however, I could not have that simple wish granted. The crossbow misfires and strikes Kaya's character, the gymnast, in the leg.

Let me remind anyone reading (doubt it'll be many), it's obvious that gymnasts especially need their legs to do gymnast things. Being shot in the leg by a crossbow at close-range is needless to say, a career-ending injury. Now I'll get to the point that was truly unbelievable, they have their credit intro and then cut to Kaya sneaking into the house of the very boyfriend who had just previously shot her in her leg. I'm sorry but no relationship, even a "crazy" teenage one , could withstand being shot in the leg by a crossbow. Add to that the fact that the counterpart shot in the leg was as stated before a pretty serious gymnast. I just couldn't wrap my mind around how they expected me to believe that the relationship would have continued after something like that. People break off relationships for less, and if there were ever a reason to end it: your significant other shooting you in the leg and essentially ending any and all hopes you had for your career in gymnastics would be a pretty big #1.

With that, I could not withstand this film and after reading other reviews I'm glad I didn't continue watching past that point as they all seem to express similar sentiments, it was terrible. It was unfortunate the actors had to deal with material so dismal, but I'm sure whatever check they got was worth it.
4 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So over the top bad, acting even worse
mompaxton-481-12138114 November 2015
**spoiler**Preview makes it sound that the "gymnast" girlfriend will save the day. The only "gymnastics" in the movie was her flopping on a bed from a windowsill. Clearly no athletic ability there so I move on.

The over acting on not one but all actors in this film was laughable. Trying to be silent while hiding under a bed for half the movie isn't hard to do. but when you are dramatically and loudly banging your head against the floor and breathing hard like your choking to death isn't good acting.

DougRay Scott has held his own with a good list of movies under his belt so he must have owed someone a favor for this pile of smelly rubbish.

From the ending it seemed they just kind of gave up on the script and walked away. Beating a dead horse just a little too long it seems. So pile millions of perfectly cut money into a Mini Cooper and drive away. Keep holding that breath for the call about the Oscar nod. It's coming any minute now. Wait for it...
4 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
YOU KNOW ONE OF THESE CAN GO THROUGH A MAN.
nogodnomasters1 November 2018
Kelly (Kaya Scodelario) who is athletic, sneaks into the bedroom of her boyfriend Mark (Daniel Boyd). Mom doesn't like her. She stocks shelves at the super market. Bad guys break in, tie up the family while Kelly hides. That's about it. Typical home break in. It adds a crossbow. The film centers on Kelly who got into the role. Good acting, but do we need another flat plot home break-in?

Recommend watching "Trespass" instead.

Guide: F-bomb. No sex or nudity.
Not Horrible, But It Really Made No Impression On Me
sddavis6323 October 2018
First, let's be honest. Home invasion movies are a dime a dozen. "Tiger House" is yet another one. A wealthy family (mom, stepdad and son) is taken prisoner in order to force them to hand over a huge amount of money. In order to stand out in such a crowded genre, there has to be something truly unique. In this case, the idea was that the hero would be the the girlfriend of the son. Mom didn't like her, because she wasn't high class enough, but she's actually spending the night at the house (her and her boyfriend's secret, of course) when the invasion begins. She hides, and becomes the only hope the family has for escape as she gradually starts to do battle with the intruders.

That's the movie, basically. I can't really say that it made a huge impression on me, though. It was all right. It seemed to me that there were a lot of plotholes involved - a lot that didn't make a great deal of sense - and as the movie came to its end there was a plot twist that was completely unexpected - but it actually came across as so silly that I laughed out loud when it was revealed.

I guess the most important thing to say about this movie is that, indeed, it made very little impression on me. It didn't manage to stand out. It was quite OK. Definitely not horrible, but also nothing memorable. I'd rate it as a very mediocre 4/10.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyable as long as you don't think
elliotte29 September 2018
This was a very watchable home invasion thriller. In a lot of ways it was much more than I expected.

Pros: Acting well done, Dougray Scott always nice to see(even if he could have been used more). The action and pacing done right, tension is kept high, not too many low points.

Cons: As mentioned in the other reviews, there are plot holes galore. I understand that people make bad decisions, but do not MacGuyver your character one minute and make them utterly dumb a few moments later. A very very average person even this this heightened scenario could have ended this movie earlier with several possible decisions.

It is an okay pass your time movie, not much more.
Completely Unrealistic and Weak Plot
tds-6253610 August 2018
The introduction of a film normally presents some sort of dilemma with the main characters. In this film, it was strongly lacking a solid conflict. Was the conflict the unexpected pregnancy of the main female character? Was it the fact she was suffering an injury due to being accidentally shot by her boyfriend? I had difficulty establishing what the initial conflict was prior to the rise of the primary conflict of the home invasion. Likewise, the ending was also weak. Personally, I want a solid ending which completes the circle by reminding the viewer of the initial conflict, and of course, concluding with some sort of resolution to the conflict. While the film did end with the resolution of the primary conflict (the bad guys die and the hero lives) it did very little, if anything, to bring about some type of resolution or conclusion to the initial dilemma, which again, was also somewhat vague, which made the ending seem random and confusing. The film was also extremely unrealistic in it's portrayal of characters, in particular, a character who was portrayed as one of the ruthless, violent hostage takers, who had a sudden, unrealistic change of heart, and took pity on the main character, killing one of his fellow partners in crime in order to save her life, which was pretty absurd. The movie ends with the main character taking a large sum of money which had been previously obtained by the captors in an armed robbery. Again, beyond ridiculous (unless, of course, this girl had some pretty in-depth money laundering experience). While the movie did provide some decent suspense, overall, it was just entirely too unrealistic to the point of being laughable at times.
Meh movie, decent filmography
daisukereds16 January 2016
Not really bad. Decent story that is properly paced, properly filmed with few stylish shots. Music was good at times (when it makes itself noticeable). Main bad guys weren't really that impressive but weren't terrible, neither was Kaya.. but compared to the rest of the cast (family) that was forgettable, they get to shine a bit. At least they weren't completely annoying, though her love interest was quite lacking and boring (probably because I have a thing for Kaya's face and find it a bit unforgiving).

Had one really good scene that I really liked the look off (when the room explodes), where no cuts were made and seemed believable and awesome at the same time.

Its kind of shocking how well the main heroine responded to everything, but it was written in a way I could accept it as it didn't go overboard. Bad guys weren't really that crazy either, which is good.

** SPOILERS! BUT, it's like Kaya used up all her acting money to do a movie for herself, and be the cool superhero that gets to kill all the bad guys, survive and become rich.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The hardest thing about reviewing this movie is the fact that the movie wasn't completely terrible, it just wasn't good
cmovies-9967410 September 2017
PROS: A pro could be the build up of tension. Although it lacked the entire film, when it came to the climax the director knew what needed to be done.

CONS: The most obvious con to point out is within the plot. If you watch the movie you'll understand what I mean when I say, the movie simply put up too many road blocks. There was one idea that could have been strong, but it was hindered by smaller plots that gave a large disconnect between motives and actions. Another fault was with the acting. The secondary characters did a great job at delivering what their intent was, but the main girl character just lacked when it came to genuine emotion. The final thing that was frustrating was the creativity. The entire movie was based around this girl being a "secret weapon", but she did nothing special. The girl did nothing that was out of the ordinary; she did pretty much basic things.

www.chorror.com
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awful South African garbage
enoack2 April 2016
low budget piece of junk which I am sure a number of these reviewers never bothered to watch. It was like getting a cut on your arm and you wait till heals, instead it gets infected and they have to amputate. hardened criminals take over a house in order to commit a robbery. the son is upstairs having a conversation with his pregnant girl friend , he hears a noise ,grabs a cricket bat and we hear some screaming and cursing and next minute one of the criminals is lying on a bed with a piece of glass protruding from his stomach We don't get to see the fight scene because it probably cost to much to stage.then we here about the robbery but never get to see it.another budget cut. next the silly girlfriend is set free and can run to the nearest neighbor and raise the alarm for the swat squad to lay siege.instead she chooses to kill all the criminals with half an arrow and a crossbow. By this time I am hoping the amputation will be done under anesthetic and i wont wake up,but I do. The girl has now accomplished her task and listened to the confession of one of the criminals who admits to her he is scared and afraid.........my god someone just shoot him. next scene they ,the girlfriend, the mother and the boyfriend are loading the cash from the robbery into a mini which is sitting in the garage of the house which has been on fire now for ten minutes....still no fire brigade. I could go about how stupid this movie is but i have wasted enough of my time giving it a half star review.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Could have been so much better.
paulclaassen18 June 2018
The character introductions were well done, as we really got to like them, as if we already knew them. Although it is an interesting premise and Kaya Scodelario is very good in her role, I did not find the film dynamic enough. She doesn't turn out to be the strong fighter I expected her to be. Ed Skrein was good as the villain, but Dougray Scott's character was passive for most of the film. Interesting twist.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Tiger House" Never Roars as Robustly as you'd Reckon
jtncsmistad31 May 2018
Right from the get-go of the British crime thriller "Tiger House" we learn that this young lass (Kaya Scodelario, "The Maze Runner") is a competitive gymnast. And her character's athletic prowess is showcased in some scenes here certainly. Still, it never reaches the level of kick-ass ninja warrior stuff you fully anticipated considering the dire circumstances of this home invasion horror show.

Tiger House......eh, more of a tabby shack.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.