Rick and Morty (TV Series 2013– ) Poster

(2013– )

Easily the best show I've seen in a while
tabraham4422 January 2014
This show is honestly great. It is easily the best animation show I have seen in a while on any network. The second the show starts you can tell that the characters fit perfectly with each other, and involved with the craziness that happens in the universe with Rick and Morty, they are immediately hilarious and extremely creative at the same time. A couple episodes in and I could tell that this was a unique show, and that people need to be watching it because it has huge potential. And with Dan Harmon writing and directing at the helm of it all, the magic that this show brings is a rare gem in television that people need to watch.. So yeah I highly suggest this show to anyone who wants a true genuine laugh at least once a week.
620 out of 731 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very solidly constructed television.
lcargill991 February 2014
This is an extremely solid show. It is *dark*, but there are certainly moments that approach the limits of any sort of television style format.

The ending of "Rick Potion #9" is just amazing. Likewise, the end of "M. Night Shaym Aliens".

The strength of the show is just how amoral Rick may be; but there is a strong attachment to the "many universes" hypothesis within the show. Philosophers have long debated the moral implications of "many universes" ( while realizing it's a bit sophomoric and nerdy ) ; "Rick and Morty" picks at this as its stock in trade. Morty is our avatar, and works in that capacity extremely well.

The essential dyad at the center - the title characters - interact little with the more peripheral characters, who have mainly been used in B plots. This shifts of course, and with these sorts of shows they will always mix this for plot gain. There's a rich enough set of characters to provide ample space. The interaction between Rick and Morty hoists a bit from classic propaganda tropes without actually being propagandist; a heck of a trick. It must be hard to calibrate this.

The entire show is just chock full of nuggets and neither preaches nor deigns to condescend to the audience. Pacing is always even and feels right. The writers know where to push and where not to.

We will see how long this can be maintained. The writers show a gift for twisting & adding-to old plots into new shows. Hopefully that's a stable arrangement.

As an "agent of Chaos", Rick should serve us for many years. There are actual ideas underneath all the humor, and here's to them. This might well be the best thing on television right now.
302 out of 365 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A genius mix of emotion, comedy and sci-fi!
theong3224 December 2013
Rick and Morty is a hilarious new show by the genius behind Community seasons 1-3 and 5, Dan Harmon. The episodes so far have always seemed fresh and the writing is hilarious and creative. But then there's no surprise really since its co-creator created Community.

The hilarious mixture of wittiness, slapstick and action all add to making this show one of the best cartoons I have ever seen.

From what I've seen so far, the show easily parodies different movies and topics, also slyly sneaking in references (sometimes not slyly).

The art also is simple, but very appealing. Because the show is animated, Dan Harmon, Justin Roiland and the writers have been able to break free from the chains of live action, making the show more out of this world.

I highly recommend this show to anyone, especially fans of the Regular Show, Adventure Time and Community.
285 out of 351 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
WE NEED MORE EPISODES!!!
sophiamar2 May 2019
Send help! I rewatched this 5 times already and it's still amazing, and I never rewatch anything.
150 out of 186 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the funniest animated series
ethanjjacobs22 March 2021
This show is something special. Every episode is great and always gets a laugh. Season 1 is a 9.5, so is season 2 and so is season 3. But season 4 was a big disappointment, especially since my expectations were so high for this season, I'd probably give it a 7.2, some episodes were great like rattlestar ricklactica (e5) and the vat of acid episode (e8) and one of the best episodes of the entire show, star mort Rick turn of the jerri (e10) But the rest didn't feel the same to the past seasons and to me didn't feel as funny. I really hope season 5 gets up to the standards of the first 3 seasons.
16 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
😍😍
wifebanger31 May 2019
10/10 Rick: Listen, Morty, I hate to break it to you, but what people call "love" is just a chemical reaction that compels animals to breed. It hits hard, Morty, then it slowly fades, leaving you stranded in a failing marriage. I did it. Your parents are gonna do it.
136 out of 171 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Original and Hand Drawn.
realjakeobrien11 December 2013
Heads Up: This review is based on the first few episodes of Season 1 only. I was really looking forward to Rick and Morty based on the hilarious teaser and the fact that this is a hand drawn show like older, more classic cartoons. My concern was that it would end up with a weak, poorly written script. That is not the case whatsoever. This show is incredibly original with its writing, characters, style and imagination. Every episode AND joke is completely different from the last, which keeps this show fresh and exciting to watch. While I think Rick (the grandpa) is the funniest, No character is bad. Morty, his dog Snuffles, and even Morty's math teacher all pack in great jokes. The directing is great and the art style and the way it is drawn is really really good. The only problem I have with the show, is that I don't really think they know how to end each episode (so far at least). But, this is truly a breath of fresh air when it comes to comedy, and I think adultswim has a really good show on their hands... 9/10
221 out of 291 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just as TV started to go downhill...
sweetcommando26 March 2014
Let me just say that I was very skeptical about this show. Judging from the sneak peaks and previews, I assumed this was going to be just another family guy/ Brikleberry lazily animated show with some cheap and low standards. Well gee wizz, I was very very wrong! Rick and Morty might seem like some stupid knock off of Back to the Future or some money laundering scheme as part of late night cable TV, but its not. Behind all the jokes, each episode surprisingly has a strong message and whether you can relate to it or not, you won't really feel like the end of each episode was a bummer.

The weakest aspect is the animation. Its not pretty and seems out dated. Despite this, its hard to say that this pulls the show down. No, not even one bit. The absolutely clever writing and well designed character personalities are basically what this show floats upon.

Unlike many other cartoons that have a sub plot in every episode, the ones in this show are actually relevant and memorable. They aren't just there as fillers and they are nearly as important as the main story. In fact, in most episodes its hard to tell which one is the sub plot and which one is the main plot.

What I'm trying to say is that this show is near perfect. What are you still doing watching new Simpsons and Family guy, go watch this show if you haven't already. Its a great example of how TV hasn't turned to total crap.
271 out of 362 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!!!
Clive_W10 July 2019
There's not just one thing I love about this show, everything that goes into the show, how the creators treat their fans, to the characters created, to the writing, everything what makes this what it is I love.
81 out of 104 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Best New Adult Animated Series Around
fruhz23 December 2013
I just finished watching the first three episodes and feel instantly hooked. I have the same feeling I had when I watched Family Guy for the first time, in which I felt like every single character was interesting and was contributing for the series in their own ways. In this show, things that will make you laugh are dark and awkward at times which succeed every time. I haven't found a single bad moment so far in the first three episodes and can't wait to watch the whole thing

The first episode was awesome and got me straight to the next. The dog world domination episode is going to be a classic, go watch it. People will remember that episode.
180 out of 241 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This show is excellent
superthuginc24 March 2014
I absolutely love this show... Reminds me of the chemistry of Doc and Marty Mcfly from the Back to the Future series with a rated R twist. Slowly but surely the are tweaking character development. Getting better every new episode!!! I like the way Rick is always drinking and burping and slurring his speech. This show is getting a lot of acclaim with so few episodes and it deserves every bit. Honestly this is the best cartoons aimed at young adults and teens that I've seen in a years. I always get excited when I see a new episode trailer!!! Can't wait to see what direction they take this to in the future. They have set it up for literally limitless possibilities.
172 out of 232 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hilarious, smart, fresh, original and unexpectedly emotionally resonant
siebertws1317 November 2014
There were only 11 episodes in the first season, so it seems a little premature and overenthusiastic to call this the funniest and best show on television, but I'm tossing it out there anyway.

Too much of the Adult Swim programming is mean-spirited and ugly, but "Rick & Morty" balances its cynicism with moments of genuine familial and societal warmth. The characters are well-developed and evolve over the course of the season, and the voice talent is gifted -- Chris Parnell is the secret weapon as Morty's not-too-bright dad.

The Pilot is the only episode I was Luke-warm on, because it's the only one where the nastiness overwhelms everything else, but it fits well into the course of the entire season because it gives the bitter alcoholic grandfather Rick something to grow away from, and the first year gets better and better as it rolls along.

There isn't a lot of TV I can watch with my son, but this is just about the best of it. Can't wait for season 2, and I hope there will be more than 11 episodes.
97 out of 128 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best New Animation Ever!
palebluedotresident22 January 2014
Awesome!!!! Just plain fantastic! Just what we've been waiting for! At a loss for words!! Thank You God! It's about time that writers have opened up to ideas from a new realm! This is it! No hold bars, out of this world, other dimensions, straight in your face! Brilliant! I can't wait to see more! I have to see more! There better be more; it would be pretty ugly, otherwise! Hawt-dam! Yee-Freaking-Haa! Sit down, strap in, hold on and be amazed! Super clever, great story lines, great visuals, smooth, exciting, thought provoking works of art; absolute masterpieces! I applaud the writers and commend them for their brilliance and am so excited this is happening! Rick and Morty FOREVER!!!
213 out of 299 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best new cartoon show 2013!
shifeili2 February 2014
The show feels fidgety in the beginning. At first it makes you take a second to get used and into it. But it's as intelligent and hilarious a show as I haven't seen one since a long time! That's what I and hopeful many other viewers are going to realize after a couple of minutes. It'S one of those shows that wouldn't happen to be without Adult Swim. Not exactly a family show. Anyways - this show is brilliant. The humor is not as cheap as in most of the successful cartoons and the show is not as comfortable to watch, but that's one thing that makes it so hilarious. It's really dark sometimes, and the viewer with a good sense of humor will appreciate that. The only thing that might make the show a bit better is that the creators could make the characters a bit better known and thus more likable to the viewer. Like this a plot as in episode 6 (SE1) would work even better. Well, the characters maybe a bit flat still, but the plots and happenings are making all this acceptable. Amazingly funny and thoughtful story line for a 20min cartoon show. The sad part is, that it might not really be for the rank and file and as a result might not last for too long or even be recognized by too many people. I really hope this goes on for a while, though! I love this show - it's great. Keep up the good work

PS.: I hope they take one or two scientists on board to help them with Grandpa Rick to keep him on track regarding scientific accuracy. But that'S just a personnel tic of mine...
123 out of 171 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You've probably had someone recommended this. They were right.
wegebp24 March 2021
I don't watch adult cartoons, I used to in my early 20s but haven't in years. I picked this up in my early 30s and I love this show. The writing is unbelievably funny and the characters are equally hilarious. Do yourself a favor and watch.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This has been my favorite show since I started watching 5 years ago!
atticusgj12 May 2021
I've been watching the show since 2016, I have watched every episode and the show has never gotten boring. This last season, (season 4) was hated amongst lots of people for a reason I don't understand, but I think every episode is great. Yes sometimes the show goes over the top, (season 4 episode 4), but no matter what I will always love and support this show! They are doing great! CANT WAIT FOR SEASON 5!!!!!!!!!
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Simply the Greatest Adult Sitcom
menufrancisco21 April 2021
I love how the show questions reality everyday items and how they break the fourth wall countless of times, this is one of the only few adult cartoon sitcoms that can make you emotional with a great plotline *14 and above can watch*
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My kid made me watch it
elksiivi3 August 2020
My eleven year old son pushed me to watch this show with him, because he thought it looked like Futurama, which we watched together and liked. So okay, I wasn't too eager to watch this at first. But from first minutes of the show I've been laughing my ass of. This show is brilliant. It is so funny, but not just that! Every episode either has some kind of beautiful structured chaos or representation of some kind of ethical or/and philosophical theory and dilemma. I love to find those themes in episodes and forcibly explain them to my son. We want more!
19 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Creativity Maximized
overwatchgengi20 April 2020
Rick and Morty is the most creative show I've ever seen. Each episode brings in new concepts which are explored in a humorous way or in a deep way, most of the time it can even be both. With likable characters that you're invested in, Rick and Morty seems to be a joyride of a TV show that I can't wait to get more of.
21 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My personal gem
tasos-894307 April 2021
I started watching Rick and Morty at the first year of University with my brother so we could just stay in the same room and do something. Turns out we were watching a series that is an absolute philosophical mastepiece. This show has such a huge impact in my life. So many topics to discuss with friends and family all through rick and morty. Definitely a must watch!
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dan Harmon's edgy and witty adult animation show exceeds expectations
noahbandersen4 April 2021
Everyone who watches this show probably turns off the TV after seeing one of the episodes, and thinks, "What the hell is going on?" Rick and Morty is an adult animation show which came to adult swim in 2013, but is now on it's 5th season with a rating of 9.2 on IMDB.

To say the least, this show was a wild ride.

The science, universe, as well as the concepts of the show are all very well-written, and it leaves the viewer with tons of questions and confusing thoughts.

The jokes are hilarious, with dozens of sex jokes and swearing. The whole show is a raunchy piece of art.

Adding on, the main characters Rick and Morty are both very well developed, and the other people in the story come off as funny and likable as well.

The only thing that catches me off guard at times, but is enjoyable as well, is how hard you need to focus to understand the storyline. Alternate realities, weird perverted aliens, it takes a surprisingly high IQ to understand what's going on.

As someone who follows the storyline fairly well, however, I don't have many complaints, and I enjoy the show very much.

Warning, however, wouldn't recommend the show for younger audiences.
More, please!!!
steamroller_9118 March 2021
Would be very gratefull if you manage to produce a couple of more seasons...or 20...
Refreshing
marindurdevictomas15 March 2021
Nice humour and not afraid to explore different concepts. Fails to gain much depth as a show and sometimes feels like a sitcom
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The best animated series made in the last decade
zaidhaan9 April 2016
Shows such as Futurama, The Simpsons and Archer were presumed to have set the bar for animated series in the modern era. With all due respect, Rick and Morty walked in with elements from all these great shows and simply decimated the competition. The writers have undoubtedly created a masterpiece. A true jewel among the current roster for similar shows. Every episode is a roller-coaster and leaves you with laughs and thought provoking concepts. The way in which they have intertwined the futuristic elements and family drama in such a coherent and enticing manner is no joke. I've watched episodes over and over again to see if they have any discernible flaws. And I'm glad to say I've found none. The way they've set the show up allows limitless possibilities and that is great news for the impatient fans like me who cannot wait to see what they conjure up for the next season. Truly enjoyable and I recommend everyone give this show a try.
42 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is one of the best and most iconic series of our times!
zoechatzispirou14 April 2020
The show follows the highly intelligent scientist Rick going on adventures alongside with his not so smart teenage grandson Morty.

One of the reasons I gave a 10 star review is purely about the characters: The main cast is interesting and well portrayed. Rick's controversial immature and edgy personality paired with the self conscious and significantly less intelligent Morty makes a really entertaining duet with an interesting dynamic, given that they have a grandfather-grandson relationship.

Another reason I classify this show as a perfect 10 are the adventures themselves. You will not find any pattern regarding the plot of each episode: Each and every one of them are unique, creative and mind blowing science fiction wise, that's something that will get you hooked to see what happens in the next episode over and over again.

The pop culture references were also a nice touch in the series: from Inception and The Purge episodes to Mac Donald's chicken nuggets, this was something I really enjoyed seeing.

And now a personal favourite that made me stick to the show and wait in agony for the rest of the episodes: The Evil Morty episodes. These two episodes captured the silent rise of what appears to be an evil intelligent wannabe commander of the lower class (the Mortys are being treated badly by the Ricks). These episodes are written in a way that Evil Morty isn't the center of attention but later on we see that he is the real deal which is exactly the way Evil Morty acts: Being a silent threat and a malicious commander without anyone noticing; until it's too late. This unfinished storyline really keeps me at the edge of my seat. I mean, who didn't get the chills during Evil Morty's speech and him doing what every tyrant does: killing off the ones who found out or standing in their way of ruling unfairly.

Overall Rick and Morty is an iconic show GUARANTEED to keep you hooked with it's amazing Sci-Fi adventures, unique characters and interesting storylines.
21 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.