Rock Dog (2016) Poster

(2016)

Much better then I had thought
SimplySapphic3 June 2017
I saw the trailer for this, which played along with the trailer for Sing, which I think may have hurt the ratings for this partially. Both cliché movie ideas that BOTH turned out to be well done in the end.

I thought I wouldn't watch either, but did, but I do find I like this movie better than Sing- primarily because of Sing being another American Idol, Got Talent, etc reminiscent flick/show and piggybacking on that old hype. Rock Dog has clichés, but it's certainly more heartfelt and uplifting, you can't help but adore Bodi's cheerful attitude and blissful innocence.

(The last couple end songs were pretty good, too, which is also surprising.)

I give this movie a rating of 8 / 10 because I would have preferred perhaps a few different voice actors better suited and the animation models to have more variety within species- say, the crocodiles. Not that I expect it to be as diverse as the heavily funded Zootopia, which had each shown character/background character in the film with its own character sheet and specialized design/sculpt and even gait; I just wish there had been a bit more variation in some of the designs; it makes sense, I suppose, for the sheep to be over simplified to push the purposeful trope.

I digress. . .

It's a simple storyline that we've seen before with simple character models/sculpts, but it's heartfelt, sometimes comedic, with a bout of passion- it's a truly good feel movie that all ages can enjoy, I recommend it for a rainy day that needs a pep talk.
16 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Entertaining Family Fun
shane-millsom14 May 2017
This movie was given no promotion whatsoever in Australia and so I watched this with my children (14 and 11) with no expectations.

While the movie didn't break any new ground, it was entertaining, family-friendly and quite fun overall. The kids enjoyed it and there was enough humour to keep the parents happy too. When I came online to recommend it, I was quite shocked to see the low ratings and critical reviews - although the financial flop explains why it never made it to cinemas or even rated a mention locally.

Rock Dog isn't brilliant - this isn't 'Kubo' or a Pixar classic. But it's fun, family entertainment and for that audience, it's definitely worth a watch.
12 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Music-Themed Animated Family Film
lindseyflagg21 May 2017
I'm not really sure where all the negative reviews for this film are coming from. I am not the biggest animated film fan AT ALL, but I really found Rock Dog to be enjoyable. The music was fun (mostly thanks to Adam Friedman), the characters were funny and generally likable, the story was creative, AND my 2-year-old niece loved it. I do love music, so for me, an animated film about music was much appreciated. I highly recommend this one, especially for families. Not sure why others don't.
14 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Doesn't completely rock, at the same time it's far from a dog
TheLittleSongbird26 November 2017
Coming from a big lifelong animation fan, 'Rock Dog' may not be on par with the best films of the best major animation studios (i.e. Disney, Pixar, Studio Ghibli), nor does it ever try to be or be anything more than it is.

It's also much better than especially anything from Video Brinquedo and, although to me critics do not deserve anywhere near the over-the-top bashing they get on the internet, 'Rock Dog' is another case of liking it much more than they did and going against the grain. 'Rock Dog' is less than perfect, but for the imperfections there are it has its heart in the right place, it knows who to aim it at and really tries to appeal to all ages and it doesn't try too hard or attempt to do more than it needs to.

'Rock Dog' may not be ground-breaking in story, a good deal of it is derivative, and some of the plotting concerning the villain's plan is a bit strange and takes away at times from the rest of the story. The film is also too short, if it were twenty minutes longer it would have fleshed out the slightly underdeveloped lead character Boni more and done more with the disapproving parent cliché.

However, the animation may not be mind-blowing or imaginative but it's colourful and detailed enough and at least the characters don't look ugly. The music is truly amazing and along with the supporting characters steals the show. In particular "Glorious", which lives up to its name.

Writing is witty and heartfelt and while the story execution is less than perfect it goes at a bright and breezy pace, is fun, is inspiring, is well-meaning and has a heart of gold that comes over movingly. Although he could have been better fleshed out more, the lead character is an easy to relate to one. Stealing the show though is the hilarious character Angus Scattergood, a character so rich in personality and so much fun he is worthy of a solo outing of some kind. Fleetwood Yak (nostalgic adults will have a good chuckle at this) is fun too.

Voice acting is good, with the best contribution coming from a note-perfect Eddie Izzard. JK Simmons is perfectly gruff as well and Luke Wilson is a likable lead. On paper, Lewis Black didn't seem right to me for a villain but he won me over, making Linnus a suitably formidable and somewhat cool villain. Mae Whitman is charming.

Overall, didn't love it but liked it better than thought. 7/10 Bethany Cox
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why did everybody says this movie is bad? I didn't get the taste of people today.
lawrencemancha3 June 2017
Sure, it looked like a rip-off of animated movies came out from 2016, like Zootopia, Sing, or whatever, but it is actually worth watching it. It's a disappointing that everybody didn't like it, cause of the clichés, and it is predictable, but it's a movie that is good actually. Get the fact that this is a Chinese-American movie, and it is not made by the big companies and stuff like that. The story is a lil' bit flawed, but other than that, it's still good. And the song is great, though. (song name: Glorious)

My final rating 10/10. Great movie, maybe it's predictable and clichéd, but I guarantee it's a good movie for the whole family.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
OK film, decent Rock and Roll story
subxerogravity25 February 2017
So this movie was a little more than what I expected (Or just better than I expected).

It starts out with this cool 2D animation that tells the story of a sheep town being guarded by a kung fu dog being attacked by wolves. In order to keep the wolves from coming back he outlaws music, and of course his son Brody grows up wanting to be a musician so he goes to the big city to become a Rock Dog.

One of my favorite parts of the film is their concept of the rock park, a place in the city were musicians meet and perform. It's like a cross between Venice Beach and CBGBs. Really cool.

The animation was not that good nothing too great or unique, but I did love the story. The typical animation type of a animal that was met for one thing and is known for one thing, wanting to do something out of the norm, but that rock setting in which is goes over the clichés of Rock and Roll specifically that late 80s early 90s version in which the movie seems to be happening.

Plus a lot of real cool characters in the movie. My favorite being Angus Shattergood a cool cat voiced by Eddie Izzard who is the living persona of Rock and Roll.

My biggest pet peeve of the film is actually that the movie is really short. I mean really short. It was barely over an hour. Usually, when animated movies are that short they give us a animated short at the beginning of the film to make up for it. that did not happen this time. You can see the story coming to an end, and you think to yourself more is coming, but it does not.

So bland animation tells a great story so simple that it makes the movie seem short. For that I would wait for the DVD to come out to see it.

13 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun and Inspiring
jeffreyoliverrock2 March 2017
As a Rock musician, I find the concept of any film portraying an aspiring musician chasing their dream intriguing. I went and saw this film at the theater, and I must say I was not disappointed.

The animation may be a bit on the simplistic side compared to most animated films, but the characters are cute, fun, and most of them are likable in one way or another. Of course, the concept of the film itself has been done before, but I feel like this movie does it in a relatively original way, especially with the antagonists making the story a little more interesting.

There are several humorous moments, but the film doesn't completely revolve around humor. There are several heartwarming moments. A few moments you'll feel disappointed or empathetic towards the characters, and overall, if you can get into the film, I think it's a great balance of emotions. And I love "Glorious", the song that plays at the end.

The only critical thing I have to say about it is that it felt a little unfinished. Not in a sense that there were unanswered questions or anything, but I felt like the ending was a bit rushed, and when it was over, I found myself wishing there was more.

I love the message this movie sends and how it portrays the power of music. I also admire that this movie is honest in the sense that there are a lot people in this world that aren't going to be nice to you and try to downplay your dream. This is a story that shows you can beat the bad guys with music, and "if you work hard enough and you want it bad enough, dreams do come true" - Mark Wahlberg, Rockstar

One thing's for sure, if I had saw this movie as a kid, it would have inspired me (Heck, in a way, it did at 23 years old, lol), and I hope it's able to inspire at least a few young music lovers with the same dream as Bodi.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Exceeds my expectations
gejocap30 May 2017
I was looking for a movie that is clean and fun for my child to watch. We had already watched a couple and I saw this one and thought it might just be cheesy humor but I was wrong. This movie has a lot of lessons that kids and adults alike can learn from. Clean, fun and awesome every minute!
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better then I thought.
Barracuda00724 February 2017
I went to go see rock dog, having very little knowledge and expectations of the movie. After sitting in my chair for 90 min I thought "Despite some clichés, it was better then I hoped for it to be." I saw the movie to be more fun and heartfelt then funny but it does have humor the whole family can enjoy.
15 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
fancy animation
nichovmed31 May 2017
Cool animation, ranging from the effect of a very real dress, when the character was running his shirt was crumpled, but only 1 the shortcomings of other people do not interact with the main players in the city, The best voice, world or effects that are very detailed than any other animation
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A fun film for the family
Gordon-116 September 2017
This film tells the story of a dog in a snowy mountain somewhere in Tibet. He has an aspiring dream to be a rock musician, but his military father does not approve of him pursuing his dreams.

"Rock Dog" is the second Chinese produced animation I watched recently. In this animation, there a lot of Chinese elements portrayed in it. The Chinese elements are mostly signs in Chinese, and the design of some of the characters. However, the film still feels Western because the whole idea of pursuing your dreams a quite a Western thing to do. the story is quite funny, and can be enjoyed by people of all ages. The moment when the door is opened by the wolves made me laugh! the music is good as well. I enjoyed watching it.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tibetan Rock Dog Rocks...and Tibetan Rock Dogs ARE BUDDHIST!
jpp102319 March 2017
The film is entertaining and has positive messages of compassion shown by the Tibetan characters -including to their enemies- the wolves, however, all references to Buddhism were removed in the film. Creator Zheng Jun's original artistic vision is in the manga comic entitled "Tibetan Rock Dog". It is sad to me that "Tibetan" was removed from the title as well. As Zheng Jun is credited for the story as well as an executive producer I imagine it must have been difficult to see the culturally censored version be what was shared with the globe. Despite these issues which deserve to see the light this is an important film. I hope it will foster awareness of the Chinese Government's atrocities committed against native Tibetans. These continue to this day with no end in sight nor adequate help coming from countries which are able. The film shows Tibetan architecture, Tibetan rug making and even Tibetan Buddhist prayer flags which simply appear as colored flags without any Tibetan script or Buddhist symbols. Edited for artistic or political reasons? I hope viewers will "find their fire" and demand Tibetan Rock Dogs everywhere to Rock out for Tibet like Ad Rock showed us how. Get Rocking with this Tbetan Buddhist Manjushri mantra: Om A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhih ( Sanskrit) Om Ara Pa Za Na Di (Tibetan).
9 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A movie worth to watch
yyyyy-9815827 October 2017
Saw this movie yesterday, and it is pretty good. I can really find the passion inside. I don't think it is fare that this movie rate so low. although the animated models are not that smooth, the back ground are simple, but i this it still told a good story. Bodi's music just like warm tides flow through my heart. those who haven't seen it, highly re command you!!
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why Such Negative Reviews? It's a GREAT film.
william-62-36612529 July 2017
What a lovely good-feel film. But the cinema was almost empty. And speaking to the cinema staff they say it got negative reviews ... ???

Maybe because it wasn't full of crazy slapstick and cliché animation moments like the comedy sidekick laughing uncontrollably and then realising no-one else is laughing and so on.

The film is good for children and adults with beautiful messages about following your dreams. Subtle humour! Lovely music! Great artwork! Great characters!

10/10 for me and my family.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Animation for the whole family
xsarahxcw14 July 2017
I loved the movie so much, I felt compelled to write a review because I just came across a article about the biggest box office flops, I don't get why it's such a flop, because I think this movie is super funny and enjoyable, lovely characters, LOVE the song btw, and the story line had a good pacing. An overall 9 out of 10
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is amazing!
CristianFishbeck15 June 2019
Why would anyone want to turn this movie away? It's a work of art! I wanted to watch this back in 2016, but I never got the chance to. I got done watching it today thanks to Vudu. Rock Dog is a wonderful film. I honestly thought there was going to be some immature jokes in this film. (Such as Fart jokes) But I thought wrong. I plan on seeing this again.
It's a kids movie
antmanhight15 June 2019
My daughter loves this movie. It's for kids. If you have young kids who like music, they will dig it too
My kids still sing glorious after watching it 6 months later
mumblingsewist3 December 2018
I don't understand how people have gave this movie a bad review and how it did not get more recognition for how great of a family movie it was. My kids if they could, they'd watch it several times a week. right this second my daughter is singing glorious in the background they ask for that song constantly... this movie is so cute and funny I wish more people knew about it
That rocks!
jacobstout-pdx25 November 2018
This is the best film I have ever seen. Bodi is great at playing guitar, Angus Scattergood teaches music, Khampa is Bodi's father, and Darma and Germur are Bodi's friends. I like those characters. But the only character I hate is Linnux. Linnux is a bad wolf, sounding like Anger from Inside Out.

So thanks. 10 out of 10.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Crying to a kids movie... and inspired as well.
gwiz-rutledge4 July 2018
I was scrolling though HBO, looking to take a chance on a new movie and ran across this right as the "magic box" fell out of the sky and I was hooked... the end had me crying burning tears like a baby!!! I'm also inspired because I've been a musician for 20 years standing in my own way of success.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great movie filled with Joyous tunes
kellyman81188 June 2018
I love the plot. It has a couple of anticlimactic moments but overall fun and clean.
Tone-deaf barking
coreyjdenford15 June 2017
This review of Rock Dog is spoiler free

**(2/5)

AT ONE POINT in Chinese-American animation Rock Dog, our protagonist meets with a scrawny English cat (Eddie Izzard) who treats him to new tricks about Rock and Roll. An obvious nod to Rock of Ages which had an insane Russell Brand teach an inspired individual about the traits of the music world. The cat is insane here but he doesn't hit the correct notes, in fact none of the characters in this outwardly unoriginal animation do. Which in a genre when directors are supposed to be their most creative - this is perhaps the least creative.

We open with teenage Tibetan Mastiff Bodi (Luke Wilson) who lives under the shadow of his father, Khampa (J.K. Simmons) who has banned music around the town and wants his son to follow in his footsteps to become a guard, teaching him about his powers - Bodi thinks there is more to life than being a guard. He unlocks a magical gift with music then when a radio lands on his head and he sees a whole other world to meet with his idol - he goes to New York to perhaps perform with him. Along the way the film hits familiar notes, there's a pack of Godfather inspired wolves who want to attack his city, there's a Yak named Fleetwood Yak (Sam Elliott) who teaches Bodi that he has a gift and finally there's a point when the famous rock-star takes all the credit. It's been done.

There's inspiration here it follows along the same lines as artsy animations such as Kubo and the Two Strings or perhaps Coraline, but due to the lacklustre ideas of overused techniques this quickly descends into unoriginality. This is a shame especially since this has Pixar veteran director Ash Brannon helming the ship. In addition it also has eight writers but it seems here they only wrote a couple of lines of characterization for each character perhaps making them feel 2D, and the rest is clunky dialogue. On the bright side there are couple of gags mostly from Izzard's scrawny cat who falls over himself a lot and the sheep dress up as dogs to fool the wolves.

Brannon neither makes this funny nor imaginative and in an animation that's the latter, there are so many references too that it's hard to follow which you're watching. Rock Dog is a cheaply looking, inspired, list of ideas, references and uneasy clunky dialogue and unfunny gags and albeit rushed Chinese-American animation that fails to make one correct guitar lick into being a memorable and hilarious animation.

VERDICT: An unpleasant and unremarkable animated comedy which ties tired visuals with a thin plot and a characterless drive. It's one guitar lick too far away from memorable too.
9 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Rock On Rock Dog
view_and_review11 December 2021
"Rock Dog" is a little known animation that had an uphill battle to become noteworthy. It was made by a consortium of studios with a budget of $60,000,000. Compare that to other animations made in 2016 such as "Finding Dory" by Disney-Pixar with a budget of around $200,000,000, or "The Secret Life of Pets" by Illumination with a budget of around $75,000,000, or "Sing," also by Illumination, with a budget also of $75,000,000, "Rock Dog" just didn't have the bona fides to make it big.

That's not to say it wasn't good, because it was, it was just going to struggle to be known. I, for one, am glad I found it.

The main character of this animation was Bodi (Luke Wilson), a sheep herding dog who's father, Khampa (J. K. Simmons), wanted to groom him to take over the sheep protecting duties. Khampa was a legendary dog who used a powerful martial arts move to fend off wolves. Bodi just wanted to rock.

Khampa granted Bodi his wish when he allowed him to travel to the city to chase his dream of being a musician. While in the city Bodi tried desperately to get the attention, and potentially music lessons from his musical idol Angus Scattergood (Eddie Izzard). As Bodi was pestering Angus for lessons, the wolf boss, Linnux (Lewis Black), had two of his minions trying to nab Bodi to use him as a means to get to the sheep.

There were several overlapping themes in this musical movie. The most pervasive themes are oft-repeated ones: finding one's own talent and accepting a person for who they are. The movie would've been truly lame if those two themes were very dominant, but they weren't, they just were the most poignant. The music was good, the characters were funny, and it was all clean, therefore I liked it.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie was great with rewatching
myfer-4501030 June 2021
Saw this for free on tubi and it was waay better than expected. Funny moments and entertaining. Definitely gonna try to buy the blue ray.
Good Movie.
jeremycrimsonfox21 June 2021
Bodi is a Tibetan Mastiff who live in the village of Snow Mountain, under the strict training of his father Khampa to succeed him as the village's guardian. However, after a training session gone wrong, a plane drops a radio, and using it, he hears a song from Angus Scattergood, setting his heart on wanting to be a rock star. Khampa allows him to go live his dream when Fleetwood Yak, the village elder suggests it, and he soon makes new friends like Darma and Germur, but he finds the rock life to be hard, and to make things worst, a wolf named Linnux, who wants Bodi captured as he sees it as a chance to take over Snow Mountain after he was defeated by Khampa years ago.

A movie done by an Chinese studio, but with a American director, Rock Dog is a nice movie. While its plot is not as good as Zootopia or even any movie made by Dreamworks or Illumination, it does has a good moral. Also, the characters are pretty original and the voice actors all do a good job.