Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox (Video 2013) Poster

The BEST DC animated movie I have ever seen!
sciencekarl30 July 2013
I just finished the movie minutes ago and couldn't wait to write a review.

The acting is superb.

The writing excellent.

The music is great.

The animation is fresh.

Oh, and for those of you who like their stories with a little darkness to them, hold onto your seats because this is movie delivers.

If you are ANY sort of DC fan and have not seen this movie, go NOW.

GO!

Thank me when you're done.
113 out of 132 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Superohero Gold!
hate-607-97276230 July 2013
This was awesome! Some of the details in the story are different that its comic book counterpart, but overall is an amazing adaptation.

I have to recognize my opinion may be a little bias as I'm a huge DC Comics fan and the Flashpoint event was the biggest thing since 1985 in terms of continuity as it rebooted everything from a new start point for all of DC characters. It has a lot of action and most cameos of characters I've seen so far. All the battles are epic, characters are well portrayed and animation's very interesting with obvious anime influence.

A lot of fun, totally worth it and if you're new to superhero animation this is a good starting point.
81 out of 94 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best DC Animated So Far
visijared15 August 2013
I know men and women(!) from all walks of life who watch DC Animated shows/movies religiously. A lot of us were expecting a Flash-specific movie after the awesomely climatic culmination of events at the end of the JLA series season 4 (Divided We Fall)... which pretty much told us DC fanatics what we already knew all along... that the Flash is probably the most powerful superhero in the DC universe, period. So why don't we know more about him? This movie serves three amazing purposes, each executed to perfection; first, bring the DC animated movie series to an even darker, more violent, mature place and audience; second, give us a glimpse into the Flash's personal back-story, top villains, and character development; and third, to showcase a period in DC comic book history that is crucial to further plot developments. But really, its just a beautiful film and great opportunity to showcase some of the newest animation tactics, and to give the animators some freedom to be a little more 'adult' in their drawings. This is definitely the best of the DC animated movies thus far, (that's saying a LOT, btw), and is truly one to get excited about watching. New Earth is portrayed hauntingly as a gritty, sullen place to exist... Aquaman is finally given full credit and accurately shown as a nigh-invulnerable multi-powered heavyweight... the Amazonians are beautiful and fearsome... and for the first time ever I was actually a little creeped out by the true alien that Superman is. But you'll get a little creeped out by all the characters, and that's the point (except the Flash, of course!). It was great to see the interpretation of the New Earth variants well voiced and drawn, especially Slade and Black Manta. Also huge kudos to the producers for making Yo Yo's voice the same as Harley Quinn's. I totally agree.
58 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fabulous, a more than worthy animated straight-to-video superhero film
TheLittleSongbird24 October 2013
And there are some great ones out there, all of them are worth watching in some shape or form even if they don't completely work. Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox does work and brilliantly, for this viewer it's one of the better animated straight-to-video superhero films. There is very little to criticise it, except that some of it did feel a little rushed, Superman could have been fleshed out more and Professor Zoom was defeated too easily. The anime-inspired animation is wonderful though, if you enjoy the animation style of Young Justice- I do- you'll enjoy the animation here. The atmospheric colours and fluidity are simply remarkable. The music is haunting and beautiful at the same time, giving intensity to the action scenes and giving weight to the more emotional and dramatic scenes. While the dialogue is really smart and intelligently written and the story is hugely compelling right up to the end and packs a real emotional punch. The action sequences have an epic intensity to them, the moral ambiguity seen in the characters and story is interwoven very well and the complexity of the characters- they are much more than what they seem- is to be admired, especially Flash- especially in the final 10 minutes- and a more bad-ass Aquaman(loved that). There are lots of familiar characters that pop up every now and again, which comic book and superhero fans will really appreciate. And of course the voice acting is superb, with Justin Chambers really making us identify with his character, having Kevin Conroy back as Batman is a huge plus and there's also the suavity and command that Cary Elwes brings to Aquaman. C. Thomas Howell also shines in one of his best, maybe even his best, film in recent years(considering that he's been in a lot of bad movies, especially from The Asylum, lately that's saying a lot)- he is menacing and very malicious as Zoom, his taunting of Flash is subtly chilling and one of the high points in the writing. Overall, while not entirely perfect Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox is fabulous. 9/10 Bethany Cox
36 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Take a peek at an all new reality in Justice League The Flashpoint Paradox
rgblakey9 August 2013
DC has been nailing it with their animated features. Their latest feature Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox not only brings everyone's favorite characters back together, it also once again brings some of the original cast as well including Kevin Conroy (Batman: Animated Series), and Nathan Fillion (Green Lantern: Emerald Knights) as well as numerous new to the cast including son of Superman: The Animated Series voice Tim Daly, Sam Daly taking on the role of Superman. Does DC have yet another hit on their hands as they bring to life one of the coolest Justice League stories in recent years?

Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox follows The Flash, who creates ripples in the timeline that disastrously alters the Universe. Now he must team with other heroes to restore the timeline while the Earth is ravaged by a war between Aquaman's Atlantis and Wonder Woman's Amazons, things these are not the heroes he knows. Once again DC knocks it out of the park with their animated films. The story here may be one of the best ones to date as well as one of the most violent. They continue to push the boundaries with their PG-13 ratings and are clearly not afraid to go as far as they can. The animation is top notch with a very Anime vibe without stepping out of the visual comfort zone of their usual films. They took an awesome approach with the voice cast mixing in those that fans are familiar with along with the newcomers making the alternate reality aspect work even better. If you have never read this story before there are some really awesome twists and takes on this version of the DC Universe as well as some great cameos by familiar heroes and villains as well as some cool new ones. This film is heavy on story which is one of the reasons it works so well and finally getting a story that focuses on the Flash is a fresh change, but have no fear you will get plenty of your other favorites both old versions and new. Have no fear there is still plenty of awesome action here that is sure to keep any hardcore fan satisfied. In addition to the above mentioned voices this film also features Justin Chambers, C. Thomas Howell, Michael B. Jordan, Kevin McKidd, Dee Bradley Baker, Dana Delany, Cary Elwes, Danny Huston, and Ron Perlman.

With the exception of the Dark Knight Returns films, this might be the best animated film they have released to date. It showcases everything in both story and action you could want and then some. They may be slow on the draw to get their live action films moving, but they are winning the war in animation with each getting better and better. While we still have a way to go before getting the live action Justice League movie we have been waiting for, you can at least be happy to know that the next animated film coming up Justice League: War is sure to keep things moving in the right direction.
24 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A fun thrill ride and among the best of the DC universe animated movies.
matthewlambert616 August 2013
Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox is the newest film from DC animation studios based on the comics crossover event Flashpoint by Geoff Johns and artist Andy Kubert. There are a handful of deviations from the comics but the animated film ranks among the best of DC's animated movies. The voice cast is spot on with many familiar voices returning to their respected roles such as Kevin Conroy as Bruce Wayne/Batman and Nathan Fillion (the people's Hal Jordan) as Green Lantern. The film has a very epic, cinematic feel to it and the action scenes are amazing. This is some of the best on screen Flash action sequences ever and its about time we get a film feature of another character than Batman or Superman. This film also further proves that Barry Allen is an interesting, deep character that can be used on the big screen. On the downside, I'm not too keen on the animation style. Over the past few films, DC animation has been sliding more and more to modern anime styles. Which is fine but some of the character designs don't fit with the rest of the DC universe. Wonder Woman looks a little odd and Aquaman should have a neck (just saying). There are a lot of side plots that are introduced such as the world of the new Thomas Wayne Batman that is explored in the spin off comics, but never utilized in the film. Feels a bit like a missed opportunity. I think the movie gets a bit overly violent at times. There are a lot of brutal things in the book but I think the film overdoes it a little (i.e the fate of Grifter). Despite the questionable title, Justice League: Flashpoint (which is what it should of been named) ranks among the best of the DC animated movies and should most definitely please fans of the material and characters. I would also recommend it as a solid introduction to the Flash character, for those curious or unfamiliar.
16 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pime Taradox
xamtaro15 August 2013
The Flash is the fastest man in the DC comic universe and also, apparently, has an origin story copied from Peter Parker. His heroic motivations stemming from one fateful night where he returned home to discover his mother murdered. Then as an adult, A freak science accident grants Barry Allen the ability to tap into the mysterious Speed Force. With his super speed, Barry fights injustice as The Flash along side the worlds greatest Superheroes in the Justice League. But one day, Barry unknowingly changed the past, and rewrote time. Now, Bruce Wayne does not exist, WonderWoman and Aquaman are in the middle of world war three, and Cyborg is America's greatest law enforcer. The only way to put things right is to track down the evil Professor Zoom aka Reverse Flash, a fellow speedster from the future.

Though tagged as a Justice League movie, The Flashpoint Paradox is a Flash movie with the Justice League in supporting roles. Barry Allen is the main character and we really go into his head, deconstruct his personality, and see this twisted new world through his eyes. The writers and talent voice cast lend a good deal of realism to the characters, never over-acting but always keeping it real. They speak like how they would in a live action movie. And personally, I would have liked to see this as one. Sadly, no matter how well the voice cast do, they are hampered by th writers turning all the other heroes into one-note supporting characters. Then again, this was a flaw of the original source material.

The story gets an immediate "A". Like "The Dark Knight Returns" that came before this, It is a faithful adaptation of the hit miniseries that forever changed the status quo of the DC universe. The scope is epic, the scale is grand and the death toll is catastrophic. The Flashpoint Paradox gets Credit for being the darkest, bleakest DC tale ever seen in animation. Fans of the video game "Injustice: Gods Among Us" will definitely be pleased. Familiar heroes are recast in unfamiliar roles.

They clash and a lot of people die in rather gruesome ways. Some lose their arms, others lose their heads, heroes are burnt, gutted and skewered in ways that would make Mortal Kombat proud. Now, Dc Animated movies has a reputation of having good stories and looking good at the same time.

But The artwork here comes across like a tribute to everything 1990s; in particular, that era of anime and Rob Liefeld. Elongated torsos, exaggerated expressions, and "bishonen" looking character designs are spliced with bulging anatomically impossible musculature, tree trunk think necks and over the too violence. Seriously, Wonder Woman looks like a CLAMP manga character, Superman and Aquaman look like they stepped out of dragonball z or Fist of the North Star, skinny characters look like Aeon Flux and Batman looks like some bad cosplay.

The animation itself is good but could be better. Japanese anime studio 4C animated this piece and while action scenes are dynamic and a thrill to watch, there is a certain feel of "cheapness" to the animation. We have creative shot angles that mimic the best of anime action yet the actual animation lacks the smooth fluid character movements that previous studio Moi Animation did. Here the characters seem stiff, art tends to go off-model, movements seem unnatural and motion blur is used to hide animation short cuts.

A huge pity though. If DC had allowed Moi Animation to do this movie, better quality control and perhaps character designs that were not so hilariously wonky, this movie would have been perfect. Accepting it for what it is, Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox is a solid entry in DC's animated movie library. This show also hints at the start of a shared DC animated movie universe. For those who read the comics, we all know where this would be heading.

Even if DC cannot get their shared live action movie continuity going, I'd settle for animation
24 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Totally recommended
warmth710 August 2013
Amazing reboot of a very important but slightly forgotten DC History. The animation is far from how good the history was adapted, even if there were a few modifications about the comic one. It comes in a very good moment as a preparation for the Justice League movie that is getting planned for the forthcoming years. This parallel world vision makes you see another side of these powerful heroes and the how the reality can be changed by minimum touch of the history. It also makes you understand the power of those we tend to think are secondary characters of the Justice League but also how the lack of the most important ones make a huge difference.
13 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An Amazing Justice League for Adults
kevinski359 March 2014
WOW. This movie blew my socks off. I've always been a fan of the justice league and I grew up on the TV show as a kid. I've always been a die-hard batman fan who sees the rest of the justice league as merely there to supplement his awesomeness, so I gave little regard to movies focused on other JL members. I've also grown a little annoyed at the new animated movies coming out because as a young adult, I crave a semi realistic movie, not one where people beat each other up but no one ever dies and everything is gravy after. But i had heard good things about this movie so I gave it a shot. The film opens with a young Flash's mom telling him the classic prayer, "God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference". This seems to be lost amongst the events of the movie but is tied back in the most amazing way at the end. Everything in between is a non-stop epic parallel reality where *GASP* SUPERHEROES ACTUALLY DIE *GASP* Yes it's crazy, but it's done extremely well and in a very mature tone. I was absolutely blown away that death was actually occurring in a JL animated movie and damn do I want more. The altered interpretation of the JL and the heroes within it are equally impressive and well thought out, with different factions and personalities vying for control and victory. All in all, if you're an adult fan of the Justice League, see this movie now. I pray they make more like this.
12 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Look what they did with our favourite storyline
fahim-eashat25 October 2019
Flashpoint paradox is very common storyline of DC. If you ask our speedster hero Flash about changing one thing from his past, what would it be? I think you know. That's preventing the death of his mother Nora Allen. Flashpoint paradox story generally revolts around the consequences that Flash brings to this reality when he decides to step up, time travels and finally saves his mom.

This movie took a different angle on how the world changed after Flash creates the paradox. It also showed that every decision we take have much bigger impact than we think. The movie circulates around how Flash reacts to this new world and what length he have to go to reverse the really from destroying the world.

The movie is well made. The 'war-themed' movie is graphical and story was well written. Character development is interesting. Musical score gave good feel while you watch the story unfolding. It is good movie. Action sequence was kinda dull but then again it is more of a drama than action so that is easily forgivable. Also if you prefer traditional Justice league squad and are a Superman fanboy, then may be this movie is not for you.

👍 Different angle of a common storyline - Well wirtten character development - Good musical score - Good written drama 👎 Dull action sequence
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Flash and His Buddies in All Their Glory
DareDevilKid24 November 2013
Reviewed by: Dare Devil Kid (DDK)

Rating: 3.8/5 stars

DC and Warner Bros. seem to make much better animated direct-to-home videos than they do full-length feature films (with the rare exception of the "Batman" films). Another grand entry in the legacy of DC home videos and a treat for all the DC superhero fans that is sure to resonate across diverse age groups.

With the plot particularly emphasizing on "The Flash" as the central character of how the story unfolds, this one promises to be a special treat for fans of the red-suited speedster like me; who've only ever been treated once before (a riveting T.V. show back in 1990) to a worthy visual medium of the fastest man ever.
11 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Flashpoint Paradox is a Amazing movie !
kevinbaldin22 August 2020
Flashpoint Paradox is a great DC animated movie loved everything about it the acting is fantastic graphics and music were amazing 10/10 for me fantastic movie for any big DC fan great movie. !
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
DC needs to reboot their live action
TheOneThatYouWanted14 July 2018
A freaking masterpiece when held near anything out from DC right now.
Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox Review
Spideyfan-963-2462159 September 2016
Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox(2013) Starring: Kevin Conroy, Vanessa Marshall, Ron Perlman, Dana Delany, C.Thomas Howell, Kevin Mckidd, Michael B. Jordan, Sam Daly, Justin Chambers, Danny Houston, Cary Elwes, and Nathan Fillion Directed By: Jay Olivia Review FIGHT THE FUTURE. If Ezra Millers Flash film is anything like this animated film where it is part dark and has heart then I can't wait. As one who doesn't generally read DC comics(I read Marvel) I absolutely loved this animated flick, DC's animated films like Superman vs The Ellite, All Star Superman, and Batman Under The Red hood are some of the best DC films. I generally put the live action films first though. When time travel allows a past wrong to be righted for The Flash and his family, the ripples of the event prove disastrous as a fractured, alternate reality now exists where a Justice League never formed, and even Superman is nowhere to be found. Teaming with a grittier, more violent Dark Knight and Cyborg, Flash races to restore the continuity of his original timeline while this new world is ravaged by a fierce war between Wonder Woman's Amazons and Aquaman's Atlanteans. This might be based on some famous Flash story or graphic novel of the flash like some of the other DC animated films I may have mentioned and I'm guessing DC fans(including me now) have seen it and it has the one thing that I'm hearing BVS(Batman V Superman:Dawn of Justice) doesn't have and that's the fun. This movie is a lot of fun to sit through I don't generally go into too much depth with animated films especially ones like this where it's straight to DVD, so I'll end the review by saying that I hope this is what the DC Extended Universe is and I will most certainly think about this feature along with Grant Gustin's Flash when we see Ezra Millers, I'm giving Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox a four and a half out of five.
Great but
docv-7515410 June 2016
Never been a huge fan of the Flash, but after watching the new TV show I have become a semi fan. I loved the story, but the main plot has me puzzled. So Flash goes back in time to stop Zoom from killing his mom which causes a paradox. Yet the paradox is really why Zoom killed her in the first place, because he is from the future and if she did not die there would be no Flash or else she lived and there was a Flash and Zoom wanted to kill her to hurt Flash. Either way there would have been a Flash, so him saving her should not have mattered. Either way it is entertaining which is all I ask for from a comic book. It is worth a watch from any DC fan
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great action and greater voice cast!
Animany9416 May 2018
This is my first time watching an animated movie based on DC Comics characters outside the Batman movies which I love, and this was a pretty darn good one!

I have watched the animated series Justice league and therefore only knew The Flash as a comic relief kind of person. This brings a welcomed change to that, because he's the main character and both likable and well rounded.

I loved the voice cast! Kevin Conroy was excellent as usual, but Kevin McKid as the alternate Batman did an amazing job as well. He really sucked me in to his trouble from his reality. Reverse Flash was enjoyably menacing in his slimy and arrogant way of speaking to Barry Allen's Flash.

The animation was great, too! If more direct-to-video productions were made like Warner Animation does, the direct-to-video market would have a better reputation. It was grand, had great angles and greatly textured and detailed backgrounds.

The climax is just majestic if not a little too graphic in its bloodshed, but I won't call the entire movie excessively violent like many reviewers have done. That title would go to the Batman: The Dark Knight Returns movies.

Flash's time travel gimmick may at times make the movie a little confusing, but I think it is cleared up pretty well as time goes by. Many clues and set-ups pay off both in the climax and the end and it makes the whole thing come together.

Highly recommendable movie!
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Incredible DC superhero animated flick about Flash!
ivo-cobra821 August 2016
Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox is incredible DC animated film about Flash creating a paradox timeline which he finds himself in a war that it is a torn alternate timeline and teams up with alternate versions of his fellow heroes to return home and restore the timeline. I love this flick I have really enjoy this film I love it. The Flashpoint Paradox was the second animated film I saw in the Justice League franchise and I really had fun with it. The animated flick is so popular this days, that CW of The Flash TV Series will use Flashpoint in premiere of Season 3 for their storyline. I still have to see someday complete Season 1, which I haven't seeing yet. I grew up watching The Flash (1990) the old TV series with John Wesley Shipp which, I had the pilot on a VHS tape and I loved it watching it as a kid.

Here you have the voice cast of Justin Chambers as Barry Allen / The Flash, he was alright, I really love C. Thomas Howell who voices the villain, I wish he would be in here more but he is a Reverse-Flash also known as Professor Zoom. Michael B. Jordan is an actor that I like, he is the voice of Cyborg, Kevin McKidd from Dog Soldiers is the voice of Thomas Wayne/Batman, this is actually Thomas Wayne, Bruce Wayne's father, who was the lead in Dog Soldiers which is cool. Kevin Conroy is the voice of Bruce Wayne / Batman who has a two cameo scenes. Cary Elwes is the voice of Aquaman. This is of course the ultimate timeline and the world is dark and different from the Flash knows, that is why I like it.

This film was pretty good and solid, it is definitely PG-13, for good reason, their is definitely some violence and action in it. It starts with learning a bit more about The Flash, like someone killed his mother when he was a little kid and for her birthday anniversary her creates ultimate time line and he changes everything and he creates a dark world where the war between Aquaman's Atlantis and Wonder Woman's Amazons rules and he has to go back in his world and change all that. I just absolutely love this film you have even Slade Wilson / Deathstroke in this film voiced by Ron Perlman the character from Arrow Season 2. I start to really dislike Arrow the CW show after Season 3, because since when Arrow Oliver Queen needa a sidekicks that is so is sick and boring, I wanted to see Oliver kick all the baddies ass and not his sister and all his friends and his girlfriends are suddenly his sidekicks bu!

I love the start in the opening scene: Barry Allen known as the Flash is visiting his mother's grave while suddenly he is alerted to a break-in by Captain Cold, Captain Boomerang, Heat Wave, Mirror Master, and the Top at the Flash Museum. Defeating the Rogues, he discovers that they have been hired by his archenemy Eobard Thawne aka Reverse-Flash as part of a plan to destroy Central City. With the help of the Justice League, Flash foils Reverse-Flash's plot, but taunts over the death of his mother still haunt Flash as he departs. That opening scene was awesome and the film shows the real Justice League how to act. Superman, Cyborg, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Aquaman saves all the villains when Reverse-Flash strapped bombs on them, they saved 1000 innocent people and they didn't hurt anyone, none was harmed I love that. I love the voice of Wonder Woman by Vanessa Marshall.

I love how Batman/ Thomas Wayne helps Flash get his power back with lightning I love that.

This flick get's 10 out of 10 I love this flick to death! It is my third favorite DC animated film in the Justice League franchise. The cast who and the animations is pretty good and over joyed. I had a fun watching this flick.

Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox is a direct-to-video animated film adaptation of the 2011 comic book crossover "Flashpoint" by Geoff Johns and Andy Kubert. It is scripted by Jim Krieg and directed by Jay Oliva. The film stars Justin Chambers as Barry Allen / Flash, C. Thomas Howell as Eobard Thawne / Reverse-Flash, Michael B. Jordan as Victor Stone / Cyborg, and Kevin McKidd as Thomas Wayne / Batman. The film also sees actors reprising roles from other DC Animated properties; actors including Kevin Conroy as Bruce Wayne / Batman, Nathan Fillion as Hal Jordan / Green Lantern, Ron Perlman as Deathstroke, Dana Delany as Lois Lane, Vanessa Marshall as Princess Diana / Wonder Woman and Dee Bradley Baker as Etrigan.

10/10 Grade: Bad Ass Seal Of Approval Studio: Warner Bros. Animation Warner Premiere DC Comics Starring: Justin Chambers, C. Thomas Howell, Michael B. Jordan, Kevin McKidd, Kevin Conroy, Sam Daly, Dana Delany, Cary Elwes, Vanessa Marshall, Ron Perlman, Steven Blum Director: Jay Oliva Producer: James Tucker Screenplay: Jim Krieg Based on "Flashpoint" by Geoff Johns Andy Kubert Rated: PG-13 Running Time: 1 Hr. 21 Mins. Budget: $3.500.000 Box Office: $4,535,680
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty average story
spikeprime11 August 2015
I'm pretty surprised and confused to see everybody going on about how supposedly amazing this movie is. To me, this is entirely middle-of-the-road with nothing special about it, besides for how hyper-violent it is at times.

Basic plot is that Flash has accidentally changed the time-line because of his selfish need to save his mother, and now the world is at war, everything is wrong, and he has to put it right.

I will say that the animation is pretty great here, some of the best that the DC Animated Movies have done. However, a lot of the character designs are horrendously ugly. Aquaman and Superman look like hideous mutated freaks, with frankly deformed faces. Characters like The Flash who really ought to look sleek and fast just look like over-muscled steroid abusers. And as for Wonder Woman's face, good god I have no idea what the designers were going for there, it's just bizarre, with the tiniest mouth imaginable, and massive yet dead-looking eyes.

The plot has been done many times before in other films and shows, especially with superheroes. The only thing that really sets this apart from the rest is the aforementioned hyper-violence and mass death. There's a lot of death, gore, blood splatters and previously heroic characters being portrayed as horrific murderers... even when that makes no sense. For instance, Wonder Woman is now a brutal warrior queen who hacks innocent children into pieces, with little-to- no regard for human life. This doesn't make any sense whatsoever. I get that this is supposed to be an altered time-line, but the events she goes through really don't in any way explain her entire personality and morality being so radically different. I just can't see Wonder Woman being this way simply because of what Aquaman did to start this war. Same goes with Aquaman who, again, has an entirely different personality and morality set, despite literally nothing occurring that would make him like this. It all feels far too forced and in-your-face.

About the only interesting character, really, is Batman. In this world, Bruce Wayne was killed in the alley instead of Thomas and Martha. Now, Thomas Wayne is Batman and Martha is Joker. Sadly, the movie really doesn't do anything interesting with this concept besides the implication that Martha's the Joker now (which is handled in a rather silly way) and Thomas Wayne being a murderer and nihilist. There is a good moment that has Thomas give Flash a letter to give to Bruce, a sort of final goodbye and note of love from him. This is probably the most emotionally effective moment of the film, but then it's immediately back to the "everybody dies" motif that the movie follows.

There are a lot of scenes in this movie that really don't need to be here. An entire sequence is dedicated to showing Aquaman's troops invading a boat with a collection of random DC characters, only for pretty much everyone to die. It serves absolutely no purpose to the story and is just there to have more death and gore. If we had instead used that time to explore either Aquaman or Wonder Woman's motivations, and see what actually lead them to become who they are in this world, then the film could have been a lot better in that regard. As it is, it's just a neat but ultimately useless bit of padding, and it's annoying that there are so many scenes exactly like it. That's ultimately what this entire world is in its entirety, just one long obstacle that Flash has to overcome. There are a lot of sub-plots and minor characters who are ultimately entirely pointless to follow as it's all just a temporary world that Flash is going to replace anyway, and the movie does little to make you care about any of it. The biggest question for me is, why is this even called Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox when the Justice League have nothing at all to do with the story overall, and are only really in it for five minutes at the start?

Overall, this really has been massively over-hyped in my opinion, unless you're really into "world gone wrong" stories and want to see a bunch of characters with little-to-no development or established personalities get slaughtered in various ways. Not a bad movie, but certainly not as good as people make it out to be.
5 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Welcoming addition to the Justice League universe
gaborzeller4 November 2013
I didn't read many of the comics but I am huge fan of all DC animated movies and series especially when it is served in the Justice League package. I am sure many fans were waiting for a Flash centered story so I was quite interested how they gonna handle it.

Lets face it. Flash is undoubtedly one of the strongest members of the League but his role was always belittled by being the bit childish comic-relief spiced with a little naiveté.

Not this time. DC went with the greedy and mature route and it totally works. The movie is definitely not for the weak-hearted. It might even creep out some people when they see their favorite characters slaughter the innocent and each other left and right in a completely non-heroic fashion.

The story is epic and fully loaded with action and many of our beloved heroes and villains (even supporting characters!) make a brief or longer cameo dependent on their role in the movie.

This was a refreshing addition but I don't know whether they did this movie so violent on purpose or just because this is the new pop culture norm (i.e. Dark Knight, Man of Steel etc...).

I just hope this wont go out of control because I also like the fun and uplifting stories where the heroes are heroes and the villains are villains.

Overall a very solid 7/10 for me definitely worth to watch.

P.S. Adapt Blackest Night already!!!
5 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Incredible DC animated movie
masonsaul11 May 2020
Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox is an incredible DC animated movie that's dark, bold and emotional. Justin Chambers is great and C. Thomas Howell, Michael B. Jordan and Kevin McKidd are all really good. The animation is also great and it's well paced. The music by Frederik Weidmann is good and Jay Oliva's direction is really good. However, a couple of characters are wasted.
Masterpiece of DC
sp4wn3r1 November 2018
If the DCEU has still some time and money they should take this animation movie to the big screen as it is the best of all superhero movies Must watch!!
Favorite DC Film
Quantom-X3 October 2018
Hands down my favorite movie from the animated DC series. Very well done, I love the story and the ideas. The characters are great, the twists good. Just an all around great movie. Even if it did spawn the... iffy New 52 universe and continuity as a consequence of The Flash's actions. But this movie on it's own is wonderful. It's so far my favorite animated DC film, and my second favorite animated super hero movie. (the first being Marvel's Planet Hulk).
Great!
mhorg201815 July 2018
Another winner from DC animated. An adaptation of the great comic. The Flash goes back to save his mom, unknowingly falling into the plans of Reverse-Flash. Allen ends up in an alternate reality where Atlantis is at war with Themyscira, there is no Superman, and Batman is actually Thomas Wayne. Another really excellent addition to the DC Animated stable.
Wow!
CapitalP24 February 2018
This was so amazing. That ending pulled on my heartstrings. Never has an animated movie done this to me.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An unexpectedly spectacular animated movie
saifkuet27 July 2017
When i started watching this movie i was expecting a good animation movie because DC animated films have a reputation for meeting most comic book and superhero fans expectations.But little did i know that instead of having just an good time i was going to have the most spectacular time i have ever had from watching a animated film based om superheroes.the movie is as dynamic as its main protagonist The Flash and never becomes dull for one moment,kind of like The Flash.The main characters and their personalities are portrayed beautifully.Even when there is normal conversations going on between fight scenes the excitement never goes down.And when the fighting is shown you can truly feel the thrill of the battle.As for people who think animated superhero films are for kids they may think differently after seeing the combat in this film.As for the story itself i think its kind of simple in nature but never becomes dull.The animation is quite good in my opinion. In short The Flashpoint Paradox is must watch if you are a DC comics fan.And even if you are not you surely won't regret watching it.