Girlfriends' Guide to Divorce (TV Series 2014–2018) Poster

Really kind of awful.
jtomgough16 November 2015
We viewed two or three episodes of this show, just to give it a chance, but it was too hard to watch. Do we really need, yet another, series about how terribly wrenching it is to be a rich, spoiled, self-centered denizen of Hollywood? Entitled children, people with housekeepers and nannies, folks who have to make the harrowing choice between some personal yoga retreat in Nepal and a new Porsche? I'm sure that Hollywood actors, writers, producers, or whatever, find themselves endlessly fascinating, but all the little ironic jabs at Gwyneth Paltrow aside, this is a showcase of elitist, pretentious, drivel. The writing is just lazy and trite, the unemployed husband trope doesn't make it edgy, feminist, or hip, and really…Genine Garofalo as one of the mean girls? I can't believe there's a second season, but then, I still can't believe that George Bush was president.
41 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Went downhill fast
gprusakowski5 June 2016
Season one was promising and a good set up but season 2was very self indulgent and became a perpetual girls night out. People this insane couldn't possibly exist anywhere but in LA! It becomes a gong show of dysfunctional narcissistic women living their second childhood. Adult women acting like 15 yo girls. I barely made it to the end of the second season and won't watch anymore. Gag me! Life is one long party for these poorly written shallow characters. If these characters weren't so childish all the time it might be a show worth watching. However the situations are superficial and repetitive full of immature bad decisions. I found it painful to watch and inane much of the time. I really don't know how many times I have to repeat myself to get the minimum of 10 lines. People need to be warned how much of a waste of time this show became so quickly. That this show has gone 5 seasons shows how shallow and intellectually numb most viewers are.
24 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hollywood Misogyny at Its Finest
jmcgil223 January 2016
Girlfriends' Guide to Divorce is Hollywood misogyny at its finest. I am embarrassed for everyone who is involved with this show. The show follows a group of obnoxious, narcissistic selfish, neurotic, and spiteful women who cannot keep it together on any level. None of the characters are likable at all, especially the lead character Abbey. And they all have disastrous personal and professional lives despite their endless supply of life coaches, gurus, shamans, housekeepers and nannies. They are also terrible parents with zero emotional connection to their annoying children. The story lines on the show range from highly implausible to simply ridiculous with cringe-worthy dialog, while the characters' personalities seem to change from one episode to the next. The token gay and minority characters have small roles that do not fit well into the show. Worse, they are sadly stereotypical and completely mundane. I am not sure why Hollywood finds it so difficult to create strong and interesting female characters who actually have it together; characters that would be more representative of the female adult population. Instead they continue to push the same tiring, nagging, hypocritical, intrusive, bitchy, crazy, promiscuous trainwrecks ad nauseam. Come on, Hollywood, try harder!

UPDATE: I just read that Janeane Garofalo left the show in the middle of the first season because of "creative differences". I have a lot of respect for someone who has enough integrity to walk away from this embarrassment, instead of showing up for a paycheck.
31 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How can anyone watch this?
SamPamBam18 June 2018
More to the point-how can it keep getting renewed for another season? This pure rot exemplifies all that is wrong in modern society. Horrid people, just horrid.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
OMG! Painful to watch
cyclebabs792 January 2015
I really don't like to be the bearer of bad reviews but this show made my OMG list of worst actors and bad plot lines. I am sorry to say but the things that this woman (lead actress) does is quite ridiculous. The problems with this are endless. The show makes women look like desperate sex addicts. I am offended by all of it. I love Jean Garafalo but the plot line is all wrong. I don't like how divorced women are portrayed. It won't make it. Sorry Bravo but this is a miss! Stay with reality TV. The scene where the lead actress is drinking alone and dancing and swaying in her underwear is silly and so boring. The father is set up after he drinks alcohol with the ex after sex and gets arrested (by suggestion) for DWI-so stupid. No one normal here. I will watch Sex and the city reruns thank you very much.
25 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I think I just threw up in my divorced mouth a little ...
willamuse4 April 2017
This Is THE most unrealistic show about women and divorce I have ever seen. There is not a character on there that is likable, including the kids. They're all contemptible! The adults, especially the narcissistic women, are all quite irritating/obnoxious, acting like slutty, temper-tantrum-throwing 13 year old girls.

Abby dancing around in her bra and panties in a house that is pretty much made of glass? Ridiculous.. She has a nice enough body, especially for a fifty year old, but it is not that nice. Watching her, I was reminded of Elaine's dancing on the Jerry Seinfield show ... only ... Abby is worse.

The male characters are OK, but the stereotypes are a bit old already.

Also everyone is decadently rich and hyper privileged. The kids are the parents and the parents are the kids. Their kids all go to a super privileged school for rich people, complete with a guarded, gated entrance.

Who lives like this? The ONLY believable character is Abby's editor, who explains to Abby what a "real" divorced woman is like, and she hits it dead on.

This show is designed to sell a lifestyle to a certain demographic. To think someone would relate or identify with these horrible characters, or worse yet, find themselves frustrated or feeling inferior because they can't meet the superficial standards portrayed by these creepy people, or even begin to think that they should, REALLY scares me.

The character of Abby is the worst, and the director shoves her down our throats. Are they married or something?

"Abby" is always posing and walking around with clothes best suited for her grandchildren. She is a beautiful women, but what is the costume designer thinking? Her character dresses like a 15 year old high school girl. She screws her boyfriend, (at the very beginning of their date) against a restaurant wall, her back end up, in an alley. Her lover is twenty years younger than her and can't keep his hands off her. OMG I think I just threw up in my mouth a little. Lisa E. is a beautiful "older" woman. However, as beautiful as she is, she needs to find a role more appropriate for her age, sorry.

The writing and dialogue is awful. Stop it or please get some new writers and a new costume designer.

No surprise that Janeane Garafalo quit. Talk about poor casting. She looks positively hospital-ready anorexic in a few of the first episodes

This show made me nauseous. I cannot believe there was or is a third season ... Continued dumb-ing down of mentalities here for sure. As a divorced woman in the same age range as these creepy people, I am offended and flabbergasted. No thank you.
15 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not really living up to the hype.
dlcr1123 December 2014
I wondered why Bravo pushed this show so hard before it debuted. I have tried watching it since the first episode. It is difficult to stay interested for the long haul. First of all, I think the casting is weak, especially Lisa Edelstein's character, Abby. I don't think she was a good choice to play the main character. She can't carry the show, and from there it just gets worse. I don't like any of the characters. I don't love or hate any of them, and that's the problem. I'm indifferent. It's like watching paint dry. I'll blame it on the script and the writing. I've seen these actors in other things, and it's not their acting ability that is in question. All I can say is that it did not live up to all the big hoopla. I casually watch for now, but don't care if I see another episode. I don't look forward to it, and certainly won't be invested for a second season. Sorry, but it's boring and mediocre at best.
28 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
good idea, bad execution
williscroftjoanne19 November 2015
Finally a show which speaks to an older demographic. Similar in genre to "Sex in the City". The dialogue was fresh and funny.The show started well, full of humour, sex and a good story line. But it's as if someone changed writers half way through and the tone changed to confusion anger and a very depressing tone. Abby's character as wishy washy, as she changes her mind about what she wants every few seconds. Lyla was a much better character than the neurotic Jo. Even happy Phoebe's funny character changes drastically. I was hoping for a comedic relief to escape to, but got irritated and depressed instead.The show has potential but needs to lighten up.
12 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Narcissistic misandre women who got it all by cheating jalousy and being disloyal
anahita77720 July 2018
Seriously, in which world women acting like that have this kind of life (and I'm one and a feminist one) ? Abby's caracter is narcissistic, egoist, and fighting litterally with everyone because she is jalous and controlling and bipolar and she is the main caracter... Another leave her great boyfriend because she doesn't want to get married of have kids and then she go to FIV as soon as she dumb him ! The list is long but this show, in the real world doesn't make sens. Please tell me which asshole could ever act like mike does even under torture, well it's kind of torture this relationship. However, first season was really nice, but little by little everything got weird and the last season you just watch to see if abby could eventually die by accident. It's doesn't worth it.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a waste of time - it spiraled downhill quickly.
lissette-551039 July 2018
I began bing watching this series last week. Season One was enjoyable. I enjoyed the plots, the acting was decent and the dysfunctional dynamics between the ladies and the men was surprising tolerable. It reminded me of a bit of Sex and The City with a dose of Friends. Season Two was not as good but I bore through it expecting the following season to pick up the slack, however, Season Three is terrible and I gave up at the end of episode 6. Abbey is now beyond inmature, completely obnoxious, extremely judgmental, just plain tacky and lacks any type of self esteem or control. She basically insults her friends, apologizes, insults them again, apologizes, etc. The whole baseball coach plot was simply horrible to watch. The coach was a mature adult while Abbey acted like a 14 year old love sick idiot. I actually cringed watching those scenes. Her character has become extremely annoying and equal to nails on a chalkboard. The rest of the characters are dwindling just as quickly. The only character I enjoyed seeing on the show during Season 3 was Jake Novak and he rarely has screen time. The show has committed suicide and I can't even tolerate one more episode. What a waste of 2 weeks.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ugh Warning: Spoilers
This show is all over the place. I miss Jeanane Garafolo and hate her replacement with the red hair, Jo. She is so loud an obnoxious. Also some of the story lines are stupid. For example why would some hot famous 22 year old chic with a great career want Jake? He is nothing to rave about and has nothing to offer. I like Phoebe but her business idea was stupid combined with the fact that she is no longer married, they are making her seem weak. I understand their are trials and tribulations with divorce, but the women are really lost. Also, don't understand the purpose of the gay mens storyline. Supposed to be a show about "girlfriends". Need to take it out since it is pointless. This show had a lot of potential but has lost it. :(
13 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
take it or leave it
alistonz9 January 2016
I feel like it is divorced Sex in the City rich LA women. What bothers me is the stereo type of the Puerto Rican from the Bronx and the fact that these women are so self centered. How does a rich lawyer become friends with an uneducated model? Are there that many rich people in LA? I am not a rich woman from LA but I'd like to know if this is true to life?If it is then I'm glad I am a middle class teacher from NY. On a positive note, at least they are showing how messed up all the kids of these selfish divorced moms are. I do watch it though because for whatever reason my husband likes it. It gives us something brainless to watch and make fun of.
10 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hated It
investment-analysis2 February 2015
Really the most painful to watch show. You know life's getting complicated with divorce being more common than it used to be.

However, if you look at the world from the director's focal point, you should just never be married.

Highly idiotic story and even more insane direction to prove a cosmopolitan camouflage of today's world.

Please watch this show, if you're so fed up with life, that hate and disgust have become the reality of your life. If that's not the case enjoy some other soap, that has a more real point to the world we love in.
15 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrible portrayal
dixieblessing2 July 2017
Watched this on Netflix and all I can say is, why do you have all these women thinking with their crotch/vagina? I thought this show portrays women horribly. Not all women go around having sex with anyone who gives or gave them the ogle eye. This is not a part of what a divorced woman does, not real life as some say. There is more to a divorced woman's life then thinking of the crotch or vagina first. I'm sure a lot of divorced women are insulted by this portrayal. A horrible show and I can see why it didn't make it. She also is or was on another show portraying the same crotch thinking mom at her sons baseball league. Sorry if you don't care for what I've said.
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Torture to watch.
daddybobx327 December 2014
Absolutely awful, especially after all the hype and promotion about being the next Sex and The City. It is interesting that this comparison is being made, since it is so blatantly obvious that this is the producers intent. However, the attempt at trying to be the older version of that classic and amazing production fails miserably. The leading female actor is by far the worst, almost pathetic, some of the scenes with her are not only difficult to watch, but also really, really obviously over acted and simply poorly done. The other two female leads are not as poorly acted, however nothing out of the ordinary. The male lead, the-soon-to-be ex-husband of the lead, is actually good and the best thing in the series. The other male leads and most of the other supporting actors are good as well. I am trying to continue to watch, but don't know how much longer I can take the torture.
21 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I love this series
atutera22 February 2015
My attraction to this series was solely Lisa Edelstein. I am a House fan and loved her in it. Then upon watching 2 episodes of this series I started to really love it. It's funny, clever and most importantly, very true to life. It covers just about all the problems women and men have on the road of divorce. The characters are interestingly diversified. Yes, some of it is a little off, but in a series like this, it is to be expected. The "off" stuff is, never the less, still funny. The children are great and very modern as is the adults who are so attached to their devices. The sex scenes are a bit over the top, but not too sophisticated. Sure hope you give it another season just to see where it goes.
13 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bravo!! Great show!
heather-210-34755912 January 2015
I love this show!! As a single divorced mom in an area very close to LA- type, this show is AWESOME. I pay the bills, organize the nanny (but do my own cooking) and asked for NOTHING from my ex. The fixing the window scene I can totally relate to--been there done that--just bought a drill (LOL), AND went to vegas. In addition the "fluffy" stay at home moms in my area go to the gym and have coffee just like the moms in this show! For me, it is close to reality--one mom actually said she didn't believe in divorce-- really??? Walk in my shoes sista and you would be there! The only thing that isn't is the young men in the show and sleeping with the ex--that seems to be my friends who remain married to be taken care of and play on the side. I work, come home and sleep--who has time for men!! Bravo for putting a show on that actually gives the good, the bad and the ugly of divorce. I laughed harder at this show than a lot of others...all because i have been there, done that with a lot of these situations :)
16 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
SATC Meets Thirtysomething
bohemedude30 December 2014
I started watching Girlfriends' Guide to Divorce because of the comparisons some were making to Sex and the City (which I loved). I'm also a huge fan of Janeane Garofalo.

To be honest, the show is not at all what I expected, but I do like it quite a lot. The premise is clever, with each episode being named for one of the "rules" from Abby McCarthy's book. The relationships between the three women are different than those of the SATC girls, but they are at a different stage of life -raising families and navigating divorce. Much of the writing and characterization reminds me of Thirtysomething.

Is the show going to last beyond the first season? I'm not sure... I can see why the show wouldn't appeal to the younger, target audience of SATC, but more sophisticated viewers might find it entertaining. I am writing this after seeing episode #5. I'm starting to know the characters and really investing in their stories. I am hooked!
9 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
why all the haters, does it hit too close to home?
lotusunion9 February 2015
this show is delightful. witty, contemporary and wholesome. yes wholesome. suck on that. it is more wholesome to be free and a good person than a judgmental closet case. this show is an accurate portrayal of Angelinos into today's climate. thank you. finally.

Not only is it nice to see Los Angeles is an affectionate light (watch Los Angeles Plays Itself), but the acting is understated and pleasant. I'm reminded of the early days of Sex in the City, when people would host Manhattan drink parties and wait to see what Carrie would wear. Albeit, we've grown up. Sequin hot pants aren't going to cut it. The reality of home ownership, child rearing, wacky sometimes awesome friendships (old and new), and the demise, rebirth and creation of ideals, leaves a modern woman striped of certainty, often depressed, and in need of affirmation. This show is that and the top shelf bottle, without the fatty liver. Again thank you.

Remember Padawan, adaption is one of the seven traits that define life.
11 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Are they trying to be Sex and the City
sarahjoy-3053719 July 2018
Started out with some substance and then turned into a fashion show with 4 women screaming and whining all the time
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Increasingly ghastly.
deedeelink-618-84640110 June 2018
I enjoyed the first season of this show but then found it increasingly hard to like.

The characters become caricatures: narcissistic, impulsive, juvenile and self-destructive. The concept of being independent women is a laugh, they are like boy crazy, giggling adolescents.

They all have money to burn, fabulous clothes, great houses, but it is like frosting on a mud pie. Someone decided that Abby has great shoulders and therefore exposes them and her highlighted clavicles in every single wardrobe change. Even when she wears a pashmina stole she exposes her shoulders. Has no one ever heard of air conditioning? It is cold inside! Also, the way she minces about on what must be painful footwear is pathetic, she looks like she has a gait disorder.

Phoebe's history as a supermodel is less than believable. She has a great body but it is not until the later seasons that her dental reconstruction is complete. This is not part of the plot, just impossible to ignore. Her bitching about her (autistic) husband interfering with her career is hilarious. Truly she has delusions as to what a career actually entails. Jo's vulgarity and crudeness cannot be continually excused by her saying, ad nauseum, that she is Puerto Rican. How offensive!

The most heroic character is poor cuckolded Graham. He is decent, loving, handsome amd kind and Delia humiliates him with her torrid office affair. At least he has the stones to resist her attempt at reconciliation.

The wonen become more strident, stupid and out of control with each season. The show does make me very glad that none of my friends even vaguely resemble them.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Corny
cariverag22 July 2018
Abby and Mike are married, but not living together. Jake was punished by the writers and is divorced, yet again. Lilly graduates from college and moves back in to the guest house with her boyfriend. Delia becomes a judge, has a baby girl, and a shorter and uglier haircut. Phoebe is still with her girlfriend. Jo marries Albert and gets pregnant. Barbara comes back from New York to a final scene dressed up as a huge piñata. George has a new girlfriend and keeps playing a fool. Scott marries. And everyone is as corny as they always have been.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrific Trip to Fantasyland!
mathmaniac8 May 2018
I have only watched the first season. So far, yes - the reviews that paint the women in this series as spoiled narcissists (married to or involved with somehow 'successful' loser men) seem to be accurate. There's a place for this on television, though. You need a fantasy trip now and then.

When the main character goes to an important meeting at which she will pitch her new book idea and unload about her personal life at the same time (discussing sex technique in the process), she seems - well, unprofessional. When her friend who is a lawyer and a woman screws a client, she seems - well, unprofessional. When her friend who is an entrepreneur goes to a photo shoot and brings only 3 babies to be photographed and the photographer screeches that you need at least a dozen, the friend seems - well, unprofessional.

But these women are mature and they are so smart, so rich, so self-deluded (as must be the writers of the series), that it doesn't matter! This is life in L.A. among the rich women who seem to have lots of time but no brains. Need substance? Have a regular Shabbat for the bitter married couple who simply can't stand to continue the charade of married life together. That Abby's last name is 'McCarthy' is a real mystery here. I don't know that I want to bother to find out the reason from watching other seasons.

We all need to look at bling and visit spas. We all need to know that somewhere in the hills above the city, there are kids who witness parents yelling at each other and one child asks 'What is divorce?' That child who asked that question is simply no more than a robot, as you will learn as he continues to act in this first season. His mother, the main character (played by Lisa Edelstein) has her own robot chip that takes the place of feeling: at her big meeting, she leaves that kid sitting in a strange hallway, unattended, with his 'imaginary friend.' This imaginary friend is the great friend he has who makes him do bad things - she lacks sense, he lacks sense, hey, who are the people who work on this series who have any sense?

But: we all need to see bling. We all need to watch Lisa Edelstein dance in her underclothes in front of wall-to-ceiling glass windows to give the neighbors a show.The ever-present wine bottle in hand! The house, impressive at first, starts to look like a cheap plastic shoe box when you realize that this family actually HAS neighbors. They have to be there because she has to call them later and they have to hear her voice and come to her aid when she needs to be extricated from a faulty window that she attempts to fix.

Greatest mystery of all in this type of series (there's a series type that it fits): the people who have this great amount of money are also incredibly cheap in surprising ways. Anyone else would simply call someone and pay them to fix the window!
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
very funny and somewhat relatable escape from reality
renea1309922 January 2015
I find the show quite entertaining! As a divorced mom, I can relate somewhat with Lisa Edelstein's character, Abby. Of course I'm not wealthy or perfectly beautiful like these women but I do love the situations Abby gets herself into. I do think they could get rid of the Phoebe character and no one would care, they've tried way too hard to add a Samantha Jones character and the actress/character comes across as sluty and desperate not sexy. I also believe the show would benefit with a little more Lyla (Janeane Garofalo) as she seems to be the most real person in the group. It's a very funny and somewhat relatable escape from reality.
5 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More social engineer, "cultural" programing ripe for Americans already troubled with divide.
saveamericafightnwo1 January 2016
More brainwashing from family unit destroying social engineers that want our species weak, fickle, without integrity, without moral compass.

To divide us and conquer us, is their goal. Order out of Chaos, is their motto. Problem, reaction, solution, is their tactic.

Bunch of weak cowards that hate all living life on planet Earth, that write these kinds of shows/movies. They can't wait to kill everyone that doesn't have the moral decency to steer away from such garbage.

Again.

6 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.