Kingsman: The Secret Service (2014) Poster

One Of The Funniest And Most Violent Action Films In Years
john schneider26 December 2014
I'm going to be honest about this: I like unabashedly violent action films. I'm 42 years old, I'm from Texas and I can take it. Growing up with films like 'Rambo', 'Die Hard', 'The Terminator' and 'Robocop', I can't stand that watered-down "no-blood-no-swearing" gutless kiddie fare that is being served as "action" these days. I know the real thing when I see it - we used to see it all the time back in the day - and I hardly ever see it anymore.

Which brings me to this movie. 'Kingsman: The Secret Service' was being shown just around the corner from where I live, and because I loved two of director Matthew Vaughn's previous films, 'Layer Cake' and 'Kick-Ass', I naturally took the chance to see it. I had already read some comments from previous screenings that this film was totally bad-ass, and I can now say that's actually putting it mildly. This film is nothing short of bat-shît crazy.

Years ago Tarantino said in an interview that he had written a James Bond script and that he would love to direct a Bond film. Sadly, that never happened, but ever since I read that I wondered what an R-rated Bond might be like. I don't know, maybe Matthew Vaughn has read that interview too and saw the potential, because 'Kingsman' is pretty much that: An ultra violent, funny, crazy, foul-mouthed James Bond film (with a little bit of 'Men in Black' and 'Mission Impossible' thrown in). You could say that this is to Bond what 'Game of Thrones' is to 'Lord of the Rings': Where the former can't and dare not go (for marketing and box office reasons), the latter joyfully and gloriously ventures. Dirty and (very black) humor - check. Bad language - check. Gratuitous violence - check. Needless to say, I was thrilled.

But it's also a fantastic action film with an amazing cast (Oscar winners Colin Firth and Michael Caine, plus Sam Jackson AND Mark Hamill) and spectacular, over-the-top fight-scenes that in some instances even rival films like 'The Raid' for their sheer visceral intensity. In short, if you're as fed up with lame wannabe Die-Hards and Terminators as I am, go watch this film. Apart from the rare 'John Wick' or 'Equalizer', 'Kingsman' seems to be pretty much the only antidote to the toothless, generic tripe Hollywood tries to pass for action these days. 9 stars for the film and the story, 11 stars for the balls to pull this off the way they did. Average = a perfect 10.

EDIT:

P.S. I recently stumbled upon an article on the importance of R rated movies. If you're a film fan (especially of films that don't cater to teenagers), you might find it as enlightening as I have:

www.the-fanboy-perspective.com/the-importance-of-the-r-rating.html
597 out of 824 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Quintessentially British, Hilariously Funny, Brutally Violent
Calum Rhys24 February 2015
Stylish, brutal and hilarious. 'Kingsman' is an extremely quintessentially British flick full of over-the-top yet hilarious comedy, brutal violence and a quirky image of England. Since James Bond's debut in 1962, a number of films have attempted to reinvent the genre, with films like 'Johnny English', 'Get Smart', 'This Means War' and many more, however, none have come close to displaying the perfect blend like 'Kingsman' has. Matthew Vaughn has become renowned for taking on action-comedy projects, for instance 'Kick-Ass' (which is still stronger than this but only just), and along the way has kept that feel-good British aspect to it that makes our greatest secret agent (James Bond) such an icon. All-in-all 'Kingsman' is a brilliant, well-executed film.
267 out of 401 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
Crazy, over-the-top ultra violent fun!!!
funwithflags199222 December 2014
I just came back from a pre-screening of 'Kingsman' and let me tell you: if you liked the first Kick-Ass, you are going to LOOOVE this film! I would never have thought that a stiff Brit like Colin Firth could pull off action - but boy, does he whoop ass in this one. I thought the story was rather original (don't know the Comic), it's a bit like an ultra violent James Bond parody. Or better: a crossbreed of Bond and Kick-Ass. Finally an action movie that doesn't use kiddie-gloves. The kid who plays the recruit is also worth mentioning. I've never seen him before but he really nails it. There's a lot of humor in this film, it really doesn't take itself too seriously, but it's not overdone. And Sam Jackson finally found something he hasn't done yet. I guess his role was already spoiled a bit in the trailer, but believe me: you haven't seen Jackson in this kind of part before. This is an excellent, over-the-top bloody and sexy film for fans of old-school action films. I give it 10 stars. Highly recommended!
364 out of 555 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Hilarious! This could be the surprise hit of 2015
Quint196527 December 2014
Well folks, that's how it's done. Ever thought MI-6 (note: that's what the British call their secret service) is a club for snobbish, upper class dudes who like to watch paint dry all they long? OK, Bond is kind of cool (I hated the last two, though), but now we finally got a film that takes spy movies to the next level. Not since 'District 9' have I had that feeling during the watching of a film like "this movie just does everything right" (by which I mean of course: it plays exactly to MY taste).

Compared to this film, every James Bond movie released after 'Licence to Kill' looks like a snore-fest. This is such a kick-ass, "balls against the wall" crazy ride that I had to shake my head several times in disbelief during the screening I was invited to. And I actually knew what I was in for. I've seen every film by Matthew Vaughn, but I was not prepared how far he was willing to go with this one. Thought 'Kick-Ass' was pretty crazy? Wait till you see this.

One of the key ingredients is the casting of the actors. The well known stars all play against type, which makes this even more unreal. Remember that lame dude who mainly played lame dudes in girlie movies like 'Bridget Jones'? He just won an Oscar for playing the stuttering King of England, and as you will see in 'Kingsman', that Oscar was well deserved: that dude (Colin Firth) can play anything! He's more bad-ass in this than Bond ever was!

A word to the wise, though, this film is not for the easily offended or the squeamish. It is a comedy but a very, very violent kind of comedy. And the language alone will shock the MPAA out of their pants. Watch this if you're into films like 'Lock, Stock', 'Kick-Ass', or 'In Bruges' and you'll probably love it - don't bother if you're more into serious films or family friendly comedies. As for me, I had a (bloody) good time.
404 out of 627 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Daring Fun with the potential of becoming Iconic
Wendy Yd New Style10 January 2015
#Kingsman: The Secret Service is a gentlemen secret spy-society that saves the world from a villain with the help of new recruits ... Don't let this summary fool you, the movie fantastic! It got applause at the end of the preview; for me first time ever in a cinema.

Great lines, never laughed this much: Bond with a wink and fresh edge. Plus super shot "martial art" action that should make the Matrix jealous. The action has its true Shakespearian/GoTh moments and all supported by cool tech-stuff. Great aspect in this movie is the music, an extra comic dimension. When you see the movie you'll know what I mean. Next too all the clever fun and furious action, it touches on petty crime poverty and home violence. Matthew Vaugh captures the grimness yet doesn't loose it's lightness ... and I like the message: "a gentlemen is not born, a gentle(wo)men is someone who chooses to be one."

The young gang, like Sophie Cookson, held up well and Taron Egerton established his position in the gang of giants. Colin Firth's aloofness was crowned with a kick-ass bite, Samuel Jackson brings his role back to old fashion comedy, strongly supported by Mark Strong and Michael Caine. It is a big 9,5 - this movie just nailed it.
217 out of 360 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
Didn't work for me on any level
dcobbimdb26 February 2015
I went into this movie with decent hopes given the high rating it had, but it's not like I was over expecting or anything. In the end I found this thing a total a mess. I think for me it tried to ride too many lines and as a result failed in most aspects. It tried to take itself serious as a spy movie, yet it also tried to be this weird comedy, and while I think movies are capable of doing both, this one just didn't do it well or right to the point where it just bounced me out of the movie completely. Far as it taking itself seriously I found it to be way over the top unbelievable and unrealistic to the point of being stupid. Far as the comedy, I just didn't think the nuclear head explosions or the McDonalds being served on a silver platter was funny at all.

Granted I'm American and I get that English humor is a bit different, but I love Monty Python, Snatch, Mr. Bean, even most of the Bond films. Yet most of the funny moments in this movie I just found remarkably unfunny to the point where rather than it being a quick laugh it just completely bounced me out of the movie. And the few comical moments that were actually funny were already covered in the trailers, so for me this movie totally fell flat on the comedy scale to the point of actually hurting the movie.

Now on the taking itself seriously aspect, the whole spy gig, the young recruit, it just failed on that level for me as well. Certain aspects of the action scenes were done well and some of the bullet time action was good, but I thought the editing needed a lot of work. The massacre in the church I just thought was way over done and too long. I find it amazing in movies like this how fight scenes go on for many minutes and when it's all done, people are barely winded, breathing normally. Give me a break, go watch professional boxers or MMA fighters and see how they look after just one round, and they are real athletes who train vigorously. So while some of the action was okay, it was so over the top that again it bounced me out of the movie. So between the bad comedy and overcooked action I was constantly being reminded that I was watching a movie rather than be swept up into one.

My last beef is with the main kid and the whole "recruitment / training camp". Probably what bounced me out of the movie the most was here we have some reckless rebellious kid who's training to this point has been gymnastics, so okay he's flexible, has good balance, etc... Yet with little to no further training at all he's the biggest bad ass? The recruitment / initiation program was a joke. It wasn't a training program of any kind, it was basically "lets throw these kids in a no win situation and see how the fend and who comes out on top." I get the idea was they were trying to weed through all the recruits to get the best one, but the whole while I kept thinking "So this kid is just a natural born bad ass because he did gymnastics and has daddy issues?" Then once he's out and starts real life spy work he's untouchable and better than all the worlds master assassins. It's like her Mom's bf who bullies him early in the movie, who he confronts in the end, and I'm thinking "So other than being this super spy what has he done to actually improve his skills as a fighter?"

Overall I thought the action was decent, but very over the edge of what you'd consider to be believable "movie believability I mean." The black comedy was pretty flat and did very little in making me laugh or enjoy myself. Finally the believability of this kid taking over for his dad and his quasi predecessor was just absurd. I give it a 3 / 10. One point on principle and because I liked the main spy girl, a 2nd point because some of the action was decent, and a 3rd point for the best part of the movie which was the bare ass scene at the end, which shocked me enough to yell out "HELLO!"
147 out of 240 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
007 meets Kick-Ass
CharlieGreenCG15 January 2015
Kingsman: The Secret Service marks the third film in a row that director Matthew Vaughn has adapted from a comic book background. His two predeceasing being Kick-Ass (2010) and X-Men: First Class (2011) - which, by all means, were pretty damn good!

Over the last few decades, both comic and superhero movies, mostly fall into the easy trap of taking themselves too seriously. Where Vaughn's vision lies, and so-far proved by his former comic adapted films is that they draw a clean balance to where drama and serious character development ends, and cartoonish humour meets, leaving a unique entertainment that stands out.

Based on the comic by Mark Millar (who also created Kick-Ass), the film sees a young – no better way to put it – chav, called Gary 'Eggsy' Unwin (Taron Egerton), taken under the wing of Harry Hart (Colin Firth), a spy for her majesty's secret service. With the aid of Michael Caine and Mark Strong, they soon come face-to-face with the villainous Richmond Valentine (Samuel L. Jackson); an ego- centric - Steve Jobs-type - billionaire madman (with a lisp), who hates the sight of blood – yet holds a vision of mass biological warfare.

Licenced to thrill, Kingsman' is almost a love-letter to the James Bond films – but not too far as a parody, like Austin Powers - but more a homage to the franchise - a 007 meets Kick-Ass, of sorts. At a point, Colin Firth's character, Harry, even mocks the thought by saying 'give me a far-fetched, theoretical plot any day…'

Fans of Bond and Kick-Ass are certain to love it, as through rollercoasters of action, comedy and espionage, comes a bucket of winks, references and nods to the world of spy movies. Just like the colourful, gadget ridden Bond films of the 1960's, Kingsman is very fun to watch, with 'wham, bam, thank-you ma'am' style of mayhem, one- liners and bonkers soundtrack crazed all over it.

The comic the film was based on was already hugely entertaining – in fact, probably the best we have read. Littered with Millar's creative quirkiness and with Vaughn's auteur film-making, has left a stylized-spectacle of ultra-violence.

Portraying the lead character of 'Eggsy', Taron Egerton (also in this month's Testament of Youth), proves to be an outstanding newcomer as he brings the character to life with an energizing vibe of a comparing ethic of chav lifestyle vs. gentleman's class.

Alongside, and tackling the mentor, come father type role, is Colin Firth, who based on previous filmography alone could easily be classed as Britain's most boring and typecast actor. Until now, the mold romantic films is broken as he picks up a gun and finds an encyclopedia of wit and enters openly new territory. It's Colin Firth like you have never seen before! – and it is bad-ass.

Squeezing in with a 15 rating (somehow), Kingsman is never short of violence and its guts and guns galore, when kneecapping; slicing off body parts and explosions become all too familiar. Given the calibre of talent involved, Kingsman' does not fall stereotype and gimmicky like other YA spy adventures like Stormbreaker, or Spy Kids, but instead, a well-deserved mash-up of espionage and true cinematic excitement.
206 out of 348 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Vaughn is Let Loose
RealDuality27 January 2015
People will have interesting reactions to this film. All of Matthew Vaughn's movies have been good, and he was able to push it further with this one. I would call it an action comedy, but there is more of an emphasis on the action than the genre usually has.

There are cool POV shots, and it gets you right into the thick of it. It mixes it up with some short moments where it doesn't cut so quickly, as well as a few long takes that are particular nice. The violence and comedy has a guttural component, which a person like me really enjoys, but it will throw some off.

The film is a throwback to old spy flicks, while at the same time being a sort of parody. It is humorous throughout. Samuel L. Jackson plays an odd megalomaniac who makes you laugh more than shiver, which goes with the tone of the movie. It is nice to see Samuel L. in the role of a bad guy. I have no doubt that many will enjoy the henchwoman, who has a different element to her. Colin Firth fits in with the particularly suave spying; and, the newcomer playing the protagonist, Taron Egerton, handles both the action and comedy well. Mark Strong is always a good actor for movies with dark humor. It is fun, however those who are sensitive may have trouble enjoying it. It is not a film for everyone, but that makes it better for others. I personally think it is Vaughn's best work.

8.75
162 out of 276 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Overkill of the kill
Melinda Durham20 March 2015
This movie started out slow but had a typical, predictable story-line until......Colin Firth's character went on a psychotic killing spree and literally killed an entire church full of people single-handedly. The violence was beyond gruesome (poles being shoved up underneath people's chins into their heads, stabbings, shootings, anything you can think of). I haven't wanted to walk out of a movie more fast than this one but I stuck it out because I was with someone else and figured it couldn't get any worse. WRONG! Next thing you know, there are microchips overheating and making HUNDREDS of people's heads explode, all to music. It was horrendous. But wait! There's more! Let's not forget the useless show of a bare a$$ of some princess who wants to thank the teenager for saving the day and let him MOUNT HER! Sexist much? Are you effing kidding me? I WANT MY MONEY BACK!
70 out of 114 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
Revoltingly violent; ridiculous plot, sad reflection of today's "entertainment"
heydoog26 March 2015
In the first 5 minutes of this abhorrently violent film, one of the film's protagonists is literally sliced in half, length-wise, from top to bottom, by a (yawn) hot, Asian-looking, double-amputee with some sort of "slasher foot-prosthetics" on her tawny, spandex-clad limbs. Yes, you read that right. Not only are the physics involved in this ludicrous action simply impossible, there is NO blood--nothing. Just an insipidly-dumb, ill-conceived effect designed to make sadistic killing "funny" and elicit a cheap "ooh!" from the audience.

But wait--there's more. In another disturbing scene, a church full of "Westboro Baptist"-style fundamentalist bigots beat, claw, and slash each other to death to the musical accompaniment of the "Free Bird" ending guitar solo. I guess mass murder is cool and fun if it's scored to some popular music and if the victims are just ignorant bigots; hey, no foul, no crime. Are we supposed to cheer this? There are other nauseating violent scenarios, all shot in the latest hi-tech digital slow-motion, freeze-frame camera work that makes rednecks and "real men" squeal in ecstasy. Oh yeah-and at the end, the hero's "prize" for "saving the world"? Why, what every alcohol-numbed fratboy/ socially-challenged gamer dreams of; (read this with a Swedish accent)"sex in the asshole" with a winsome, blond Scandinavian princess. I kid you not, folks. This is the shallowest, lowest-common-denominator script-writing.

This movie is an utterly disgusting and pathetic reflection of what passes for "entertainment" in today's mentally-damaged world of desensitized adults raised on UFC blood sport, graphic "head shots" in ultra-violent video games and a lack of real moral role models from our authority figures and heroes. It's a world of violence for violence' sake, and graphic violence as "entertainment". I felt dirty and stained after sitting through this turkey with my fiancé's friends on our double-date. Hopefully, you'll never have to experience the indignity...
248 out of 441 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Terrible!
kelseysh26 March 2015
I can't understand how so many people loved this movie. I was really looking forward to a funny, over the top action film, but Kingsman left a lot to be desired. For starters the women in this movie are all portrayed as being completely helpless. (Eggsy's useless mother, his friend in the Kingsman who can't seem to get anything done without reassurance from Eggsy and obviously the very dignified princess who happily offers Eggsy anal in exchange for him saving the world...fml). I was actually freaked out by the number of teenagers who thought the multiple scenes of mass murder of innocent people for absolutely no reason were hilarious. Of course the fact that those people's heads exploded into colorful fireworks probably helped. Lastly, what's a comedy without a little vomit humor and mocking individuals with speech impediments. I lost a lot of respect for Colin Firth for this one.
80 out of 134 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
The Vaughn Supremacy
Robert Lucas2 February 2015
It's strange when you consider it, how much the Spy thriller genre has changed and grown because of James Bond, there is not a single Spy movie that is made that isn't and won't be compared to double 'O' seven himself. So I suppose it's no surprise that a film like Kingsman had to be made eventually, so I suppose the reel question is will this make the Sky fall or just be a quantum of nonsense?

Say what you like about Mathew Vaughn the man likes his comics. So far out of the 5 films he has directed, 3 were graphic novels first. Kingsman is one of them. The man's like the anti-Zack Snyder, he directs films based off of comics and brings out real issues in them, as opposed to Snyder who directs films based off of graphic novels and ignores any merit or comment on the wider world the books make and just makes HIS movies. I'm happy to say that Kingsman is probably the most fun I will have in a cinema screen this year.

As I've already said Spy films get compared to James Bond, so let's begin with that shall we? Kingsman is a film that is both totally unique and its own movie whilst fully embracing its British heritage, the films marketing campaign drew strong comparisons to For Your Eyes Only artwork. The film acknowledges all of those stupid spy clichés in a way which is both knowing and clever, and then it ditches them all. The best example of this I can give is in the opening sequence of the film, there is a glass of whisky, a lot of people die and there isn't a drop of said whiskey spilt, and at that moment Kingsman sticks two fingers up at the past and says "we're the future" and from that second onwards Kingsman is its own movie. The film successfully reinvents just about every stereotype imaginable in a spy film.

The villain, who is always central in a spy movie, is Valentine (played by Samuel L. Jackson). Valentine is a megalomaniac who wants world domination, all standard stuff so far, he also has a lisp and is terrified of blood. That's the kind of thing Kingsman does really well, it sets us up with the standard and transforms it to be unique.

The film is of course preposterous in the extreme, but I don't care. It was funny, clever, brilliant and unique. Kingsman has so many pro's to it that you can easily overlook the minor short comings, because in the end the film has a baddie who has blades for legs, I mean who doesn't love that?

What I like most about Kingsman is that even with all its madness it still manages to have some kind of heart; the entire movie is kind of a think piece on class war and the importance of legacy. The movie has a brain and a soul and it has no problem expressing either, the finale to the parachute problem proves this most for me.

I would be remised if I didn't mention something about the cast, let get over the whole "the obvious people are amazing thing" and look forward to the new comers Taron Egerton (playing "Eggsy") and Sophie Cookson (playing Roxy). These two talents have come from nowhere and broken through the glass ceiling, Cookson and Egerton are stars with one film to their names, and they deserve every single piece of praise that comes to them. Taron is such an unbelievably versatile young man, he can be funny, clever, cool, cocky, brash, physical, confident and insecure all without saying a word or moving a muscle. Also, I loved seeing Jack Davenport on screen again.

Kingsman is the film this country needed; it's confident and fun, without being disrespectful or full of nasty. In short, Sic.
191 out of 338 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Not all that great!
mdreser4417 February 2015
An interesting storyline that went from elegant to trashy to sickening to tasteful to distasteful. What kind of people think that exploding heads is a comedy act? Or for that matter, a mother trying to kill her little girl!? Finally, ends with the "requisite" piece of ass that serves absolutely no purpose in the story line and is done in such a trashy way. Very crass and off-putting. Vaughn and Goldman seem to have social issues with sick humor.

The storyline is fun, clever, whimsical, unexpected, and very 'James Bond' as intended. It was a delightful--except for the "comic touches" that ruin it and are distasteful. The actors were very appealing -- and elegant. It was not Oscar/BAFTA-worthy, but was fun. Except for the parts that kick you in the gut. And if my review makes you feel like a yo-yo going upper, downer, upper, downer...that is the way the movie feels.
94 out of 161 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
Terrible, gruesome and wish I could unsee it.
camprunamuk17 February 2015
It started out funny like the previews showed with only a little graphic violence. I'll give it that. Then it started getting extremely graphic. Mass murders, heads exploding, our whole family of 5 adults were so disturbed we couldn't even talk all the way home. We all wish we could unsee it. I felt it was a terrible movie even with the few chuckles we got in the earlier parts. This movie taught me a lesson, I will not be seeing any more movies in the theater without reading every review I can get my hands on, this isn't the first time I have been blind sighted by gore, and disturbing content. If you see this movie, I beg you not to take your kids, even if they are adults. I wish I could go back and NOT have gone to this one. Frankly, I am disappointed that movie makers feel Americans have sunk so low as to find this entertaining.
123 out of 215 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
This film is junk, I feel horrible for giving them my 10$ , I feel robbed actually. Worst film I have seen all year
flawlessproduction7 March 2015
This film is Junk. The trailer is super cool , the first hour of the film is great , and then the twisted mind of the writer/director makes is turn into total garbage.

Killing people in Church? Mother aggressively trying to kill her children? Sending all sort of twisted messages to the audience for no reason whatsoever. I think the people (actors/producers) involved in promoting this message should be ashamed for making this film. Great marketing , the trailer leads you to another place, got my 10$

Don't waste your time!

The sad thing is that the film has excellent reviews on major sites and made allot of money, so once again good job to the ad campaign, but shame on the director for tricking the audience and promoting subliminal violent ideas with no reason.
131 out of 230 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
This movie commits the unforgivable sin...
br-538-99382322 February 2015
It's outrageously stupid. I have read all of the bad reviews currently posted for the Kingsman, and none of them hit the right mark. The movie is violent, raunchy, campy, sexist, racist, and vulgar. And that's all OK! But does it have to be so incredibly stupid? Honestly, does it? And why is the CGI so incredibly terrible. Last time I checked this is 2015, not 1985. I usually don't care too much for special effects, but there is a given level of competence which I expect a film to achieve, before it just becomes distracting. Kingsman has CGI on the level of a cheep SyFy channel special feature.

The acting on the part of the star, Taron Egerton, is terrible. Every time he is on the screen it makes you want to punch him in the face, especially every time he opens his mouth. Same is true about Samuel L. Jackson, who played Valentine. That entire performance felt like Samuel L. Jackson asked him self, "self, how would SNL pay this part, if they were trying to make fun of me?" Then he used his fertile imaginations, imagined it, and played it exactly like that. It's Samuel L. Jackson acting out a caricature of Samuel L. Jackson playing the role of Valentine. I think the man seriously is just screwing with us at this point.

Truly a terrible movie, not unlike the The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, only with UK hoodlum playing the main role.
92 out of 158 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
Fast-paced action with loads of humor- Awesome!!!
axfan6415 January 2015
I had the privilege of seeing this at an advanced screening and I was already looking forward to seeing this film and it exceeded all my expectations. Knowing that this film was directed by Matthew Vaughn(Kick-Ass, X-Men: First Class) I had a pretty good idea that this film was going to be really good. If you love fast-paced, stylish, humorous, and all around awesome flicks, then this is a definite must see! The action was amazing and I really loved watching Colin Firth kick some ass! Samuel L. Jackson was very fun to watch as a villain as well. I don't think I've had that much fun watching a film in a really long time. The way the creators put a different spin on the superhero genre in Kick-Ass, was very much how they put a spin on the Spy movie genre in Kingsman: The Secret Service. I can guarantee a film like this won't win any major awards but I can guarantee that you will have an entertaining time with this film. Must see 10/10
164 out of 295 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Kingsman: The Secret Service
Guy29 January 2015
KINGSMAN is yet another comic book mess, this time about a South London petty criminal who is given the chance to join a private intelligence agency only to find himself fighting against both class prejudice and a mad dotcom genius with an aversion to blood who wants to murder most of the population to save the world from global warming. It's amusing to see a film be disrespectful about Obama and AGW but the film is morally repulsive and stupid. It wants to be a silly but fun globe-trotting adventure like old James Bond films but those films had wit, exotic travel, high living and great stunts whilst this film is crude, stuffed with fake-looking CGI, charmless and has stupid jeopardy-free action scenes; I lost count of just how many times the bad guy's goons had the hero in their sights but missed him. The promised chav to gentleman transformation never occurs - apparently being comfortable with who you are is what makes a gentleman - with the hero starting as a lout and ending up as a lout in a bespoke suit. What really sinks the film though is its lack of a moral compass. I could complain about the crudity of having a Swedish princess offer anal sex to the hero but the real culprit is the way the film mixes comic book sensibilities with hyper-realistic violence. People are tortured and cut in half without a qualm. Worst of all is a sequence in the middle where a (hate) church full of people are driven mad and kill each other in an orgy of improvised and graphic violence which is shot like an action scene as if it is entertainment and goes on forever. If you want to see Colin Firth brutally and repeatedly stabbing a woman in the stomach then this is the film for you.
256 out of 472 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Terribly Misleading Trailer
Brandon Dick17 February 2015
Hard to sit through, and terribly misleading. It's a shame that such content can be shown in our theaters, commemorating death, advocating women as sex symbols or damsels in distress, and portraying mass murder as a 'cool action scene'. The first third of the movie has great action scenes that one would expect from a spy film. Easy to compare to the Bond films, however, as the movie progressed, the entire validity of the characters' morals were flushed down the drain. I and my two other adult friends had to cover our eyes and grimace at many scenes and we left all agreeing that we did not sign up for that sort of film. The trailer did an awesome job at capturing my excitement, then the movie did an equally great job of shattering that excitement. I stress, please watch at your own discretion.
191 out of 348 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING! Ultra violent. Trailer is 100 % misleading
eric-238-61094413 February 2015
I hated this movie. It's not just a truly horrible film. It's so incredibly ultra violent. It's like the video game Grand Theft Auto with zombies. Only worse! This was the most disgusting type of violence, gratuitous and glorified. Truly over the top. The trailer for this movie is 100 % misleading. It makes it look like a James Bond movie. In reality it's more like a zombie movie. Horrible. Horrible. Horrible. I wish I could un-buy this movie ticket. I wish I could un-see this movie. It's truly the worst movie I've ever seen. ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING! I gave this movie 1 Star but if I could I would give it a minus 10. I feel sick to my stomach. Most definitely!
144 out of 259 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
Who said the traditional Bond formula is dead?!!
ivankyazze26 January 2015
I was lucky enough to go to an advanced screening of Kingsman: The Secret Service. Watching the trailer a month ago made me interested to watch this movie since I'm a fan of spy movies especially the 007 movies. The movie is about a young teenager from London called "Eggsy" who is chosen by a professional agent from a super secret organisation who call themselves the "Kingsmen" to go through the deadliest "job interview" to be the next Kingsman spy.

That said I must say I was not disappointed. The action is fast-paced and there's a lot of comedy.The movie is sort of like 007 meets Men in Black. The movie obviously parodies the old traditional 007 formula especially of the Roger Moore era but this is done in a good way. Kingsman; The Secret Service reminded me how great the old 007 formula was until it was changed until Daniel Craig's portrayal of the agent. After watching this movie Daniel Craig better take notes because there is a new agent on the block and that is "Eggsy'.

That being said Kingsman: The Secret Service is the best movie of 2015 so far. Don't miss it!!!
169 out of 312 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
The graphically sexual ending was unwelcome
Service Desk8 March 2015
The sexual ending was completely out of phase with the whole tone and spirit of the movie up to that point ....I'm not a prude but it was just gratuitously tawdry, brought a so-so action flick down to completely 'un-recommendable' ... I was uncomfortable for half the people and families in the audience.

I think it probably stifled word of mouth recommendations, this is not a movie a guy could bring a decent girl to , to say nothing about bringing a family ..... and really it had nothing what-so-ever to do with anything that had happened prior, it was a graphic bit that just really felt out of place and I don't see any of popular movie sites mentioning it.
58 out of 100 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
Pure Garbage:Cheap James Bond Wannabe Film With Samuel.L.Jackson Embarrassing Himself
M MALIK20 February 2015
this is it these parody films and wannabe spy genre films has got to stop because this is what ruins the original franchise and makes fun of it shame on these people i cannot even dream about someone making fun of Sean Connery and his bond but people did it the reason is no person on this earth is cool as him Sean is not a actor but the definition of man itself period.

however this film makes fun of Pierce Brosnan 007 era films with exploding pens and gadgets etc Brosnan is a boss he redefined spy genre the makers of Kingsman should be sued for this blasphemy.

i don't care if it is rated r or pg 13 i saw this film and i got angry specially with sir Samuel.L.Jackson i lost respect for him i mean how is this classic method actor can do this film from pulp fiction to pure pg 13 garbage stuff i got exited when i saw him being funny but by the time climax came his death scene is the funniest moment in the entire film he was embarrassing himself.

just what the hell is going on these days is Hollywood running out of ideas they have same story lines over and over again repeating same thing million times what is wrong with these people kids with guns using bad language and violence for no reason even killing animals what a shameful era we are living in.

let me clear this up a bit this is not a snuff,porn or exploitation film filled with sex but even those have some bloody standard at least they are serious about it and makers know what they are making but this one is nonsense Mathew Vaughn made just one good film in his life probably his last best too it is called layer cake with Daniel Craig check that out guys if you have not but avoid this crap please.

the plot: let us look at the plot here it goes as a spy agency hires kids so they can battle evil villains who are about to destroy the world.

oh please why drag kids and teens into this kids already ruined Wrestling attitude era this is coming from a 90s kid Batista and John Cena acts in lame movies too because they still aim it for kids ala guardians of galaxy etc parents are proud of it but the hypocrisy is that people hate Kristen Stewart and Dakota fanning when they do goo serious dramatic films.

special Vfx,cgi effects,gore goes useless the dialogs are so cheesy it makes cartoon network looks like history channel this is high time minus point this film looses it.

people are asking for a refund me too but who will listen if films like these are still coming out whatever this is Hollywood or British production it is the direction sucked big time so my question with critics and people is how dare all of you hate John Woo,Ang Lee & Ridley Scott these guys are legends and their movies are gold hey even a Tinto Brass movie is better then Kingsman any day Colin Firth was crazy for cash yes there are some hot sexy women here but wasted.

for people who want a great spy film watch Mi2:2000 or for comedy try Rush Hour 2 as for action go back and try drunken master or matrix trilogy even but stay way from this guys don't believe the hype critics are blind i am waiting for bad boy 3 Michael Bay will show these kids how real action is done.

overall Kingsman:The Secret Service 2015 is the worst film of 2015 my rating is 1/10.Skipp It save your money & time please i have wasted mine.
102 out of 186 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Copied to clipboardCopy link
Could have been great but was awful
mark-631-8414577 April 2015
Great premise, great characters well acted, beautifully filmed but the director and writer overdosed on drugs and spewed out this Texas Chain Saw Massacre challenger. Grotesque scenes replaced smart scenes to appeal to the lowest common denominators in our baseless society. They figure if a little blood was good, a bathtub of goo and gore was much better. Tastelessness found a new level in a needless manner. Gutter language is so mindless in its endless repetition that any moron could have written the script. The twists and turns were perfect only to be ruined by more absurdity and obscenity. Too bad. It could have been a great spy fun thriller.
46 out of 79 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!
Stunningly UNDERWHELMING Stinkeroo
Man9920413 February 2015
I really really wanted to like this movie. And, while it does have a few positive points, on the whole it was stunningly underwhelming. Don't waste your money on this stinkeroo.

Parents note: This is NOT the movie you want to take your children to see. It is one of the most graphically violent movies I can ever remember seeing. "Comic decapitations" are still decapitations. There is also a scene where a mother tries to murder her innocent toddler with a large ax. One of the characters is literally cut in half from top to bottom, and then shown in graphic detail awkwardly stapled back together.

A large part of these problems can be directly related to inept direction. Director Matthew Vaughn has no ability to reign in the more "Hammish" actors. Samuel L. Jackson pulls out all the stops - and basically ruins every scene he is in. Jackson's performance has to be the worst of his long career. It may well be one of the worst performances of the decade. His character was just stupid and incredibly offensive to so many people on so many different levels. He chose to speak with a cartoonish lisp which might suggest he is effeminate, or perhaps that he has a speech impediment - motivation is not an issue here - don't look for logic or rationality anywhere in this awkward movie.

Fans of Colin Firth, Jack Davenport, Mark Hamill, and Michael Caine will be very very disturbed by how these characters are treated.

On a positive note, Taron Egerton is a delight. He has enough skills to overcome the horrible direction and ham handed performances.
108 out of 200 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote!