Welcome to Me (2014) Poster

(2014)

Quirky and endearing deadpan humor.
lnvicta12 May 2015
Kristen Wiig had already won me over with Bridesmaids and this is just further proof that she has the comedic chops to carry an entire movie. It revolves around her character Alice Klieg, who was taking meds for her Borderline Personality Disorder before she won the lottery and subsequently ditched her psychiatrist and used the money to make her own talk show. She's a die-hard fan of Oprah so her show is basically Oprah except there are no guests or anything. It's all about her. Hence, the title of the show (and movie) "Welcome to Me".

The comedy in this movie is extremely deadpan. If you're not a fan of that style, then you will not like this movie. It's like the awkward humor of Bridesmaids mixed with the underlying seriousness of Love & Other Drugs, and the usual quirky Wiig mannerisms that make her such a likable and charming lead. There are sad moments in the movie, there are laugh-out-loud funny moments as well, most if not all of which come from Wiig and her drab interactions with other people. Alice is completely in her own world - she acts almost sociopathic towards other humans. She's very crass and has no filters with what she says making for some extremely uncomfortable and hilarious situations. But it's obvious that she has good intentions and a good heart, which makes her great as a sympathetic lead.

The supporting cast are all great. I can't single out every one but I will say that this is James Marsden's best role in a while. He plays a network executive who picks up the talk show, and he has some good material to work with this time. It shows the more dramatic side of his acting chops instead of being a cardboard cutout romantic lead like he was in crap like The Best of Me and Walk of Shame. The whole cast is brilliant really, with the obvious highlight being Kristen Wiig absolutely embodying this character to a tee. It's the performance of her career so far without a doubt.

The only real complaint I have is that the tone of the movie isn't very consistent. It's not even due to the subject matter, because Love & Other Drugs and 50/50 also dealt with both disease and comedy and found a perfect balance between them. Welcome to Me just feels clunky at times, pacing wise, and it makes for a few dull spots here and there.

Again, if you're not a fan of deadpan, dry, sarcastic humor then this movie is not for you. However it is a wonderful dramedy that makes you think, laugh, and maybe even appreciate life just a little more.
85 out of 98 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
my sister has borderline.
ld-3197427 May 2015
I cried the whole movie. Happy happy enlightening tears. I felt like I was watching my sister on screen. It felt like one big old metaphor being in the audience, as I feel kind of like an audience member of my own family.

My sister who has BDP is the strongest person I know. This disorder is a rough one and those who have it are true warriors, however as a result of my sister's disorder, I have been neglected by my family my whole life. It took me a really long time to fully realize this, but now that I do I am finally starting to find self worth.

This movie not only captures what it's like to have BDP, but whats it's like to close to someone with BDP. Seeing Alice's relationship with Gina hit me really hard. Gina is so strong and I hope I can be like her once I find more confidence in myself. Seeing her stand up for herself is something I hope I can one day do.

The fact that someone out there decided to add some humor to such a hidden, stigmatized, mental illness, really truly brings light to the my broken heart. I am so so so so so so thankful for this movie.

Bravo.
83 out of 103 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Interesting but not entirely satisfying
cherold14 February 2017
Welcome to Me is a distinctly odd movie about a woman with a boderline personality disorder diagnosis and millions of dollars in lottery winnings who decides to have a vanity TV show all about her. It's an interesting idea, and it kept my attention, but I feel it wasn't quite the movie it might have been.

First off I'd like to talk about borderlines, because I've known a couple. Googling around I've found a few articles describing this movie as either a good or bad portrayal of BPD. Since BPD simply means you exhibit a large number of traits from a list (impulsivity, self-harm, etc.), Alice is acceptable as a borderline. And since being borderline can exist with other conditions, like depression or narcissism, you can't really complain about less typical borderline behavior.

That being said, Alice doesn't seem like borderlines I've known, and lacks some commonly known BPD qualities. For example, borderlines are often very good at feigning normalcy. I once saw a BPD friend, ranting and raving after sneaking out of a psyche ward and trying to kill herself, instantly become calm and rational when the cops came to check on her. Many psychiatrists don't like working with borderlines because they can feel tricked when that patient convinces their doctor that they're fine now right before a suicide attempt.

Alice, on the other hand, is just purely odd. And her oddness seems to come entirely from her mental illness. It is as though Kristen Wiig was so concerned with getting the symptoms right that she never thought about who Alice would be without her mental illness. But in truth, people with mental illnesses have traits that have nothing to do with being mentally ill (although some psychiatrists do try to fit everything about their patients into their diagnosis).

Because of this, Alice is an interesting character but not a really compelling one.

Meanwhile, the intriguing premise never quite gels. Is the movie a satire of celebrity and our fascination with trashy talk shows? Is it an attempt to portray mental illness? Is it an attempt to get laughs out of mental illness?

I never really felt this movie had a vision, or a point of view. Like the main character, the story feels like it's a bunch of ideas stuck together rather than a cohesive drama.

While the movie feels a little undercooked, I did enjoy it. Wiig may seem more like a mildly autistic narcissist than a borderline, and the story may feel unsubstantial, but it is amusing to watch Alice create her entirely peculiar show and get into weird dietary fixations. The movie may not make a coherent whole, but the pieces are pretty good in themselves.
17 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I loved this movie
claudiasofialagos15 June 2015
I am writing this review because I honestly think that its current rating does not do this movie justice. People seem to be disliking this movie because its not the Kristen Wiig movie or humor they expected. Or, because they have some opinion or experience on borderline personality disorder. Valid reasons, sure, but just take this movie as is, without any preconceived notions about what it should be. Its hilarious, and weird, and honestly the funniest movie I've seen in a long time. And, it has this perfectly charming mix of having a pretty unbelievable timeline but at the same time, being scarily relatable in a lot of ways. Highly recommend.
37 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointing
kbilling5021 August 2015
As a therapist that treats borderline personality disorder, I was very disappointed in this film. The portrayal I found to be inaccurate and insulting. BPD is now well understood to have clear causes and very good treatment (Dialectical Behavior Therapy). The film did nothing to help shed light on this often mysterious disorder. Tim Robbins gave yet another embarrassing portrayal of a therapist who was incompetent, uninformed, and unethical. Many people with BPD are extremely intelligent, creative, funny, and interesting. Kristin Wiig's character was none of these things. The only character who was funny was Joan Cusak. If you or someone you know is suffering from BPD, find a therapist trained in DBT or go to NEABPD.org
22 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
dark humor
Raven-196912 October 2014
Fools and their money are soon parted from one another. Nowhere does this saying hold true more than with lottery winners. Alice Klieg, diagnosed with borderline personality disorder, emerges from a solitary and sedentary life as the new winner of $86 million from the state lottery. She begins to buy airtime at a local television station that is desperate for cash. Alice's new talk show "Welcome to Me" is a perfect reflection of her impulsive, socially awkward, indecisive, random, obsessive, moody and sensitive self. It features some of her favorite recopies (meatloaf cake), traumatic events from her past (the "carousel of life"), and – of course – swans (she loves swans). Her insistence upon absolute control and predilection to get out of control, make for some interesting and eccentric shows that are alternately extremely boring and explosive. The dry and dark humor of the film fits the acting abilities of Kristen Wiig perfectly. The film is funny as well as raw. I wish there was more depth to the plot, however, for it relies too much on the wacky shows. Seen at the 2014 Toronto International Film Festival.
54 out of 76 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie is not only offensive, but damaging to those with BPD
SpaceOctopus20 June 2017
The director & writer should be ashamed of this film. All it does is spread MORE misinformation, misrepresent a horribly excruciating problem, and on top of that, exploits those with it.

This is not even close to an accurate depiction of BPD, and this film will only do one thing- further stigmatize this horrible affliction, making people even more hateful & cruel, which is already a bad enough problem right now.

Their complete misunderstanding of the disorder is nauseating. Don't see this movie. Don't see any movie about a character with BPD, because it has always been done ridiculously poorly & has stigmatized those with it further. To a huge degree.

If you want to actually learn a bit about it, go to Wikipedia, and you will find a very accurate detailing of the disorder, without bias, prejudice or ignorance.
16 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Best Representation of BPD on Film...and Funny
joieparker12 June 2015
This film is extremely well done. Full of nuances, over-the-top exaggerations, truth, and humor. I loved it.

Many people with BPD - or perhaps even the majority - are not at all psychotic (detached from reality) like Alice often was, but psychotic characters make for much more interesting and entertaining stories, particularly on film. So keep that in mind; this is a dramatized/exaggerated version of BPD for many people.

Some underlying dynamics and truths about BPD were spot-on, however, and Kristin Wiig was awesome as always.The entire cast was awesome. Joan Cusack nailed it as did everyone else. I would highly recommend this film if you have BPD, someone you know does, or if you are a psychologist or interested in mental health. And although Alice is identified as having BPD, as we know often mental health issues do not fall neatly into one category. The mental and emotional health issues this film is built upon are relatable to almost everyone in some aspect.
24 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A realistic comedic look at mental issues
tileboy1321 May 2015
I was expecting a roll-on-the-floor comedy. After all, it's Kristin Wiig, and Will Ferrell as a producer.

It starts off funny enough. A woman obsessed with Oprah Winfrey feels screwed over in her past, but wins the lottery and wants to have her own talk show.

But it turns into an analysis of a "mental issue" and the diagnosis that goes along with that.

I think everyone has issues - but when you give these issues names then you marginalize & categorize people that further push people into little boxes.

By the end, I was moved to tears. This movie is so worth watching. But it's not the SNL-type skit you might be expecting.
20 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
There ain't nothing like it!
MartinHafer14 August 2015
I think the film "Welcome to Me" is not for everyone and I am not surprised that the reviews are rather divergent. It's certainly a strange movie and one that might or might not appeal to you-- probably depending on how much you are willing to watch a film that often makes you embarrassed and has a very, very dark sensibility.

When the film begins, Alice (Kristen Wiig) has just won the lottery. However, she is mentally ill and foolishly decides that now she's rich, she doens't need her medication any more. So, she stops taking it and soon is blowing through her many millions of dollars. What does she blow it on??? I self-financed TV show all about her! It has very little in the way of conventional structure and the show is crazy...and, oddly, people think it's good. I assume they think it's meant to be a comedy...but the crazy antics and total self- absorption they see IS Alice.

The film is a very interesting character study of a woman with a Borderline Personality--especially of one whose hold on reality is very tenuous and whose narcissism is extreme, even for a Borderline. I was impressed by this character as well as her psychiatrist (Tim Robbins) as it looks as if whoever wrote the film knew about mental health issues and/or consulted with mental health professionals. Usually in films psychiatrists and psychologists are more caricatures--goofy one-dimensional idiots. Robbins' character is realistic, however-- with appropriate borders and methods. As for Wiig, she was entrancing in this strange role.

I am not 100% in love with this film--it is, at times, tough to watch and its overall message is certainly strange and mixed. Also, I hesitate to recommend it to everyone because Miss Wiig does a nude scene in which she's VERY nude....so be forewarned. An interesting film to watch if you feel like you've seen it all.
10 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Kristen Wiig has been doing really well in drama so far
lee_eisenberg20 June 2015
If you only know that "Welcome to Me" stars Kristen Wiig and is produced by Will Ferrell, the only conclusion would be that it's a slapstick comedy. But this movie is nothing like that. Wiig plays a woman suffering from borderline personality disorder who gets her own TV show. And on this show, she talks about whatever's on her mind.

I've seen Wiig in a couple of dramas recently and I've liked all of them. "Welcome to Me" is more of a comedy-drama, with the comedy resulting from Wiig's character's awkwardness. One of Wiig's scenes was particularly bold, but the fact that she was willing to do it shows what a good actress she is.

I hope that Wiig continues with these kinds of movies, although I do also like her straightforward comedies). In fact, I wish that there were more of these movies. It's a really good one. It won't be for everyone, but I recommend it.

Also starring James Marsden (JFK in "The Butler"), Linda Cardellini (Cassie in "Brokeback Mountain"), Wes Bentley (Ricky in "American Beauty"), Jennifer Jason Leigh, Alan Tudyk (the Duke of Weselton in "Frozen"), Tim Robbins and Joan Cusack.
16 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Refreshingly intelligent, insightful, and luminous
graccee-219-35028914 August 2015
This movie is pure genius. It provides insight into the depths of the human psyche and the narcissism that results from a broken trust with the world at large. Rarely does a story capture the capacity of truth to create an audience in a refreshing and unique manner. I think this movie is highly under-rated. "Welcome to Me" offers an opportunity for evolution through shocking and outrageous honesty. And, it does so in a manner tinged with humor and love. Kristin Wiig, along with the rest of this perfect cast, could not have done a better job. It was written, acted, and produced flawlessly. It is hard to be new and daring in today's world, and they accomplished it! One of the best films I've ever seen.
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A great film !
babevac211 August 2015
This is the story of Alice Kleig (Kristen Wiig). She wakes up every day at 12: 15, her TV has been on for ten years, she knows by heart a great number of Oprah Winfrey shows. Alice was diagnosed bipolar at 16. Well as she explains it, in those days it was called manic-depressive, then bipolar and now borderline personality disorder. Alice win 86 millions of dollars at the lottery.

So she pays for her own TV show, where she'll be the host and will talk about herself. This film could be considered as a critic of our selfie and real TV era where anyone plays his/her life as a show. It could be seen as a critic of how people consummate themselves in their image, and lose their soul with this profusion of extimity, like American Indian who thought that pictures stole their soul. But instead of being a parody, and a critic Welcome to Me stays focused on Alice. And Welcome to Me becomes an idea of what would be the equivalent of Outsider art for television. Alice is helped in creating what she wants by her greedy producer, and her knowledge of television, so the show looks like a performance, and this kind of humour reminds of Andy Kaufman's. It is brilliant.

The soundtrack use is very interesting. I was very interested in the way a weird song like Happy Talk by Daniel Johnston is used as a standard. Is he credited? Or is it some kind of standard I didn't know of? The fact that the author uses his music, or the music he used shows that she's interested of the creativity of madness. (In fact Daniel Johnston created a show called Welcome to my World, so he probably inspired Shira Piven or Eliot Laurence the writer (impossible to say).

What Alice exposes here, are her defense mechanisms against falling apart, all of the creation of her soul to hold on to herself: her things ordered by colours (once I was very bored and colour coordinated my books), her highly proteinated diet, her traumas… and she's capable of putting all that in a form that makes it watchable (a student in communication compares her work to Cindy Sherman's). Like the filmmaker who turned Daniel Johnston's music into a jazz standard, Alice's world is standardized for television, and makes madness watchable. (This is so rare in cinema, that it makes this film very important).

Madness is sort of censured by general medias; it scares people, so it's very rare to have it portrayed in an interesting and creative way. It's most of the time reduced (especially since the DSMs became psychiatric bibles, cutting the classical mental categories into symptoms and little pieces) to neurological troubles, and simplify the human being as if we were only a mass of facts. But Alice because of the considerable sum she won can beat the censorship, explain herself, and tell her life like no one ever heard it. The film doesn't try to explain her madness or to cure it, but it shows her humanity and her fight to be defined by something else than a diagnostic that changes with medical fashions
11 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Typical Hollywood take on mental illness:
countfloydlife9 May 2018
This film has a few chuckle worthy moments, but I find most of it cringe worthy. Whenever Hollywood decides to portray a mental health issue, it is almost always underplayed or just way over the top. As someone who has had BPD his entire life, I feel this film is a reflection of the second option. There are some elements of Alice's behavior that I can identify with, but certainly not too that extreme a degree. Just because someone has BPD it doesn't mean that they are a total train wreck. Even when we see Alice when she is "medicated", her behavior to me is unrealistic for someone with this condition ALONE. This is only my take based on my own experiences though, and realize that everyone's situation can be completely different from mine. If you want to get a more fact based, serious point of view on BPD, there are several good YouTube videos out there. This is just entertainment, which at the end of the day is really all it's intended to be, from a business point of view. Even on that basis alone though, I still don't find it as entertaining as a film like Lars and the Real Girl.
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Alice highlights the modern era of sharing everything
Aughex21 May 2015
First off I'll just tick the spoiler alert box as I think the biggest surprise is exactly at the end when Alice makes courage and faces the demons that haunted her for so many years. I won't reveal more but it made me shed a tear when I saw her overcoming that difficult condition.

The message that Alice spreads throughout the movie is that of hope of anyone being capable of achieving something if they really believe it, however what follows next is the exposure of the modern era flaw of sharing everything, which I guess is part of the social network deal that most of us took in order to share every part of our private life with the world.

Alice mistake is getting attached to any men that offers her a bit of attention but her main problem is that she suffers from a serious disease. At one time she comically tries to treat BPD by eating string cheese. Kristen Wiig creates a brand new character that has a lot of hand movements and manages to stay unrecognizable from any of her previous roles with the most entertaining scenes coming from the dialog with her doctor played by none other than Tim Robbins.

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie and I'll place it in my top 3 this year for the original subject it brings forward, for the fantastic story that ends on a great note and for the fantastic interactions between these great actors. Welcome to me!
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
561st Review: Alice in Satireland
intelearts22 May 2015
Welcome to Me is much more than a dark comedy. It is the evilish innocuous lovechild of whack of center films like Eagle and Shark (2007), Gentleman Broncos (2008), and Lars and The Real Girl (2007) if they coupled with satires like Network (1976), and Bob Roberts (1992), and it does so with dark whimsy, subtle charm, and is laugh-out loud funny.

The resulting film is a superb satire on the all out illusion of the American dream. Firstly, it derides the notion that money and fame are the goal of living while lauding it, a tough balancing act, and, secondly, that, in a country where 70% self-medicate for some form of depression, anxiety, or just can't cope with life, that mental illness is what happens to others. It combines the two, and lets the lunatic take over the asylum. We might well ask whether the crazy is the message or the medium...

Kristen Wiig is Alice. And let's start by saying in this Wonderland it's a great name for the character; and, a name that's almost become a cliché name for all woman in crisis, as Bob has for all blue-collar guys. Alice is a heady mixture of cutely crazy. We tried to list it all, but kind of only got as far as obsessive-compulsive, bipolar, narcissism, and manic-depressive, all veiled behind an obsession with voyeurism by her, and of her, through the TV. And that is the first point: she is non-categorizable - she is not just do-lalley, she is not even complex, she is Alice - wanting the world to love her, and wanting the world to cure her, to cure her past, and to see how important her pain is.

When her own therapist, a snappy turn by Tim Robbins, effectively gives up, Alice gets beyond lucky and gets her chance to have her own TV show through an amoral (or just pragmatic?) James Marsden. What results is a truly roller-coaster ride into Alice's bizarro gonzo world, where her unedited world is literally broadcast.

This is the best satire we've seen is a while. Like Nightcrawler (2014), it pokes the bear of TV for all its worth, and looks at America as a modern freak show, where empty calories and instant gratification have replaced any meaningful content. It is also really a film about the death of TV for the YouTube generation - who under 30 watches more TV than internet now?

This is post-hipster, post-modern, life out loud funny, that leaves you with a bad taste - it is smart, both kind and cruel, and a brilliant take on Modern America. Above all, it is original and deserves to be praised for being a film that belongs more to indie films of the 1970s than now - it is a surprisingly lingering, has just enough sympathy while still skewering its subjects, and for us, is a gob-smacking watch.
11 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Somewhat funny, a bit disturbing
floatingpolarbear17 September 2015
Kristen Wiig is interesting to watch as she is the master of inappropriate behavior done hilariously. Since her character has a debilitating mental illness, that behavior is like watching a slow train wreck unfold as the lottery winnings add fuel to her peculiar fire. The movie peaks in the moment when the Wiig character starts filming her wacky show but doesn't really go anywhere after that. The story stays in low simmer throughout, neither too funny nor too dramatic. I would have liked it to commit to comedy, in the spirit of What About Bob with Bill Murray. Wiig has that same talent but it's not really used to the max here.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
At once original, hilarious, punchy, biting yet soulful and insightful; a severely under-rated comedy
HaveWisdomWillTravel3 January 2016
Honestly, I usually have theories but this time I have no idea why this show received any rating under 80%. Some theorized people had specific expectations with a Will Farrell production. Some theorized 'it wasn't Bridesmaid enough'. Some theorized 'people will prejudge any show with a female lead as chick flick and trash it'. Maybe they're all correct.

Perhaps because I went in with openness and moderate expectation, I see this deadpan, no-laugh-track comedy classic as Farrell candid ROTF funny, better deeper funnier than Bridesmaid - and 300% not a chick flick.

I watched Bridesmaid but still Kristen didn't immediately register. I gave it a go based on a few well-written IMDb reviews alone. As the show starts I was delighted to learn that heavy weights like Tim Robbins, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Joan Cusack are on board. Later I was pleasantly surprised by familiar faces like Linda Cardellini, James Marsden, Wes Bentley. All contributed wonderfully to this well-conceived well- executed story about 'what a psychologically-unstable woman do with her lottery winning'. The premise is rich, the result is delicious. Kristen Wigg's actor chop, range, and fearlessness, is superb, admirable and definitely entertaining.

Various related subject matters are explored: post-Facebook post-YouTube me-me-me vanity culture, reality show production standards and ethics, borderline behavior, value of true friendship, things most people could related to...

The lead character has no filter, is an "emotional exhibitionist", has OCD protein fetish, brittle, yet manipulative, mean, vengeful, sexually aggressive, deeply self-pitying yet oblivious to human suffering right next to her, hence a natural at shock value generation. The reaction in the TV production control room is just priceless. YouTube goers would find a particular cake eating scene sarcastic funny. Still the narrative tone is never cruel or judgmental, an amazing feat in itself. Other characters' distinct reactions to her 'charisma' and big plan to exhibit herself is also both hilarious and insightful.

Side note: The show didn't go out to explain borderline behavior but oddly afterward I'm slightly more enlightened about the triggers of occasional borderline outbursts of people I had interacted with. It also shows that borderline condition describes more a gradient spectrum rather than entire persons (and therefore more prevalent than commonly thought)

Visually and aurally the show is captivating and fun. The pink plastic princess reality TV circus, her self-penned theme song, her romantic overtures, Tim Robbin the tennis tan therapist, Jason Leigh the crazy hair grouchy producer with strong ethics, Cusack the versatile voice actor, backstage dogs and swans, OCD recipes and cheesy re-enactments, are all bonuses...

Rarely a comedy makes one laugh so much, yet feel a little more at the same time. I've added the director Shira Piven to my Director to Watch "movie quality filter" list.

Welcome To Me is a comedy gem among under-rated comedy gems. 9/10. Plus 1 star for balancing. Highly recommended.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not worth your time.
kaleidoscope-facebook18 August 2015
I did not enjoy this movie. It seemed to make fun of mental illness more than anything. There is basically this girl with mental problems who thinks she can cure herself so she takes herself off of her meds, and all of her loved ones support this decision and let her put herself on TV so all of America can watch the mentally "retarded" girl make a fool of herself. I just don't buy that people would watch her show for any other reason, and I found that to be very sad. It ruined the movie for me. I don't know anyone with Borderline Personality Disorder, but I take anti-depressants and I have close friends with other mental illnesses, and I found nothing realistic about this portrayal of mental health in general.
11 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's All About Me
westsideschl28 June 2015
"Welcome to Me" is pretty much an excursion into Borderline Personality Disorder. "Me" is written in the tragicomedy genre or literary form that has been with us for thousands of years. You don't know whether to cry or laugh, and probably doing both simultaneously. A comment on one star rated reviews. I venture to guess that some, already emotionally hooked in self-aggrandizement talk shows, were affronted by the SNL style put-down portrayal of the talk show formula of selling oneself and/or stuff. Perhaps another percentage just didn't get the tragicomedy portrayal of those with a BPD emotional attachment to that tele formula format.

The only change I would have made in the script to improve accuracy would be to replace Oprah with Ellen Degeneres because her show more accurately reflects guests and host in the "selling-themselves, self-promotion brand of narcissism". And, The Ellen Show also excels in the other two "We" BPD categories of compensation consumption (buying to feel good) and embarrassing or putting others down to raise self-esteem. Acting by all, especially Wiig's performance, was spot on as was directing and cinematography.
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I can't believe I wasted time on this movie
silvervtx21 May 2015
I normally like dark comedies. I normally like weird movies. But the main character is not likable. It is a movie about a woman who has borderline personality disorder. Again, normally I like this. But the character wasn't funny, was so self indulgent that the main character lacked any attraction. I began to start skipping along in the film, which to be fair, may not be fair to the film. However, after going back and forth in the film, I could still not find anything in it that was interesting, funny, quirky, etc... The only redeeming quality this film had were the other characters in it. Specifically Tim Robbins and Lisa Cardellini, and James Marsden. Don't waste your time or money on this film.
11 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A definite insight to mental health disorders, but definitely not for everyone.
yuschaa21 August 2016
Welcome to Me stars Kristen Wiig as Alice, a woman who suffers from Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD). When she won a lottery that grants her a sizable amount of money, she produces, acts, and stars in a TV series entitled: Welcome to Me.

First and foremost, this is the most endearing thing Kristen Wiig has done, outside her usual comedy movies. The way she portrays Alice is so heartbreaking and detailed, sometimes funny, but also feels authentic. The supporting cast did a good job too, especially Linda Cardellini.

However, this movie is definitely not for everyone. As the title and the premise suggests, this movie is going to be all about Alice and her world. Alice's actions are questionable and maybe some audience can't digest that properly.

If you're interested in movies about psychology issues, then this is definitely a movie for you. Otherwise if you want to feel good, you might want to pick up something else, as the constant melancholy and confusion this movie brought will disillusion you, forcing you into saying "What the hell was that?" when the credits roll.
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Once again, nicely done Kristen Wiig
subxerogravity6 June 2015
It's the perfect part for Kristen Wiig. It's a dark comedy that seems to work for her style.

She did a terrific job at bringing humor to a real serious issue at the same time being sensitive toward the seriousness of it, which I've seen her do before in stuff like the Skeleton Twins.

A mentally ill lottery winner spends her winnings to become the next Oprah on a talk show that expresses her own self absorption.

The movie is driven by Wiig with a well rounded, well known cast supporting her, that includes Linda Cardellini( who I really like)James Marsden and Joan Cusack.

It's a great Dramedy to watch.
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Painfully boring!
deelusionalmusic12 May 2015
I found myself continually waiting for this movie to come to an end. At first glance, it seemed as though the film may be decent (in the sense that it would be OK as a one-time watch) but I was so wrong. I could tell by the tempo of the movie that it was a low budget film. Also the scenery and acting was rather low end as well. The film reminds me of a 70's made-for-TV drama. There's no humor in this movie. Multiple attempts at making a humorous situation out of awkward emotional drama, continued to fail throughout the film. My wife actually walked out of the room after about 45 minutes because she was so bored she began to fall asleep. Now mind you, I don't typically take time out to write reviews on "boring films", but I really want the audience to understand how long and drawn out this movie is. For such a dull & tedious film to have no build up, and try and create humor out of gawky mental disorders (the disorders do not even match their true definitions) this film couldn't genuinely be justified as even a one-time watch. The director confuses Bi-polar disorder, with multiple personality disorder, alongside obsessive compulsive disorder, all while the main character is unequivocally displaying characteristics of asperger's syndrome (or borderline autism). The acting was not horrible, but by the way that the director provoked certain situations, there was no saving these actors/actresses from the disaster at hand. If you have ever seen the movie "Punch Drunk Love" with Adam Sandler, you may understand what I am getting at. Both films are similar in nature and in cinematography. Also, it's as if the writer was just bored out of his mind, and just simply wanted to write a script about nothing in particular because as the film unravels, you start to realize that there is no real point to it. The film in 30 seconds is about a girl who is emotionally and mentally challenged. She hits the lottery for 86 million. While televising her post winners interview, she states that she has been using masturbation as a sedative for so many years, and naturally the TV station cut her off. She got all worked up about being cut off and not being able to speak her mind that she goes and hires a TV station to host her very own talk show (a talk show about herself, and her weird ideas, and random thoughts). Basically it is a show about nothing at all. She receives good viewer ratings, but the staff absolutely hate working with her, due to her unorthodox topics, and unprofessional methods of speaking openly about her personal life (sex, verbal abuse, awkward situations with her friends, etc.). Plus she becomes psychotic if irritated (displaying outbursts of anger, and emotional distress). The film maintains this same tempo for quite some time before the main character has a few bumps in her show, and ultimately does one last show where she apologizes to her friends for the way she has acted and gives her remaining 7 million dollars to her lifelong friend (a friend whom she had earlier made fun of in an episode of her show). The end. If my re-cap still hasn't bored you to death, then feel free to waste your money on this pile of garbage and indulge in 105 minutes of excruciatingly painful boredom. I don't see how anyone could possibly enjoy this film. Please ignore all of the other reviews, as I am the only person to date giving an honest critical opinion on this film. For all of the above reasons, I have rated this film 2 stars. I chose 2 stars instead of 1 star, just because I have seen worse, and I wanted to be fair. But yes, this film is that bad, that it only deserves 2 stars. After you watch it, you will be left with these questions in your head "what did I just watch, and why did I sit though it all???". Do yourself a favor and skip this one ;D You can thank me later!
12 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not as much fun as you'd think.
jdesando7 May 2015
If Welcome to Me is a comedy, then it's a very dark one. Alice Kleig (Kristen Wiig) has Borderline Personality Disorder that manifests itself in ways like eating a meatloaf cake with sweet-potato icing on TV and walking nude through a casino.

After winning the lottery, she buys a TV talk show and proceeds to talk the whole boring time about herself (no surprise as the title of her show is the title of the film and leaves no room for doubt that it's all about her). She strangely advises the audience, "You can have what I have if you really believe in it." She asks a stranger on the street if there was "a rape in A Tale of Two Cities." She's not even goofy, just much past the borderline of normalcy with few laughs.

To be fair, she's attempting to find out, as we all should, who she is, and therefore using the therapy of a talk show to expunge her demons and discover "me." It just doesn't make for good comedy—bizarre yes, funny no.

Although I find little humor in her BPD, at least in the dreary way director Shira Piven and writer Eliot Laurence present it, I was hoping for some broadcast humor such as Will Ferrell (a producer of this film) and Adam McKay gave in Anchorman or the insightful satire in Broadcast News and Network. Her talking on TV about masturbating and actually neutering animals in front of the camera were off the mark and weird without being witty.

It's fun, however, to see Tim Robbins as Alice's therapist and too little of Jennifer Jason Leigh as a TV staffer. Joan Cusack in the control room expertly expresses my disbelief in Alice's shenanigans, and like me, she finds it dreary without being funny.

I have to hand it to the filmmakers, however: I have a very good idea about Borderline Personality Disorder. In a summer chock full of blockbusters, this small film looms larger than it ought.
10 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.