Message Man (2018) Poster

(2018)

A well-paced story
Leofwine_draca20 November 2020
This shot-in-Indonesia action flick suffers from a low budget, much lower than usual for the genre, which means that you don't get the extensive, extended and crowd-pleasing fight choreography you've seen in other Indonesian flicks like THE RAID. It's not about the action at all really, although there are a lot of shooting scenes and the like; the violence comes in short bursts and is kept off screen at times. As an action lover I found that a shame, although MESSAGE MAN still works thanks to a fast pace and interesting storyline, which mixes together bits of the BOURNE films and the JOHN WICK saga. Our Aussie hero is a laidback dude until people traffickers show up to cause trouble, and it doesn't stop from there. It's not an amazing film, but it does have beautiful locations and a story that never flags, so it's worth a look.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The dog must die
nogodnomasters22 March 2019
Ryan Teller (Paul O'Brien) is retired and sails the islands of Indonesia. His boat breaks down on an island where he gets attached to a family. There is also a subplot of pirates stealing girls for the slave trade. They cross paths. Ryan is wanted by Mr. Lee (Verdi Solaiman) a ruthless businessman whose family Ryan waxed when he was a child.

Bang Bang, slice kill, rescue etc. You know the plot.

Guide: F-word. No sex or nudity.
4 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Message received
kosmasp17 December 2020
I get it when people compare this to John Wick ... remember though this has not nearly that budget Wick had. So this is low budget action and it shows at certain points (or even throughout). One of the main things is the CGI blood. I don't mind it, but it is quite obvious and some may take offense to it.

So a nice action movie with some interesting stunts. Some feel a bit cheated (when there is many cuts, but that is someting that bigger budget movies do too, so don't be offended by it), but there are also some elaborate longer shots that have been choreographed quite well. Story wise there is not a lot ... and the message man is not quite alone (which would be another major difference between him and Wick - or how Wick began at least) ... Watch it if you like B-Action movies
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ryan Teller or Jack Ryan?
lavatch14 June 2019
Ryan Teller seems like a mild-mannered fisherman as he embarks on his retirement, sailing the seas of the South Pacific. As it turns out, he is drawn back into the life of a high-tech hitman when he decides to help out the victims of a Southeast Asian human trafficking ring.

The best relationship in the film is the bonding of Teller with a little boy whom he hires for odd jobs. The kid is eventually kidnapped by the cartel, and Teller moves into action as a one-man wrecking crew in the rescue operation.

It was never made clear in the film what was the secret organization for which Teller was employed. He made some phone calls for assistance, but it turned out that Teller was working on his own to combat a group of approximately thirty thugs in Lee's criminal organization. The secret organization never came to the rescue. The only help Teller receives is from an unassuming uber driver.

While this was a high octane action picture, one of the major drawbacks was Teller's personality. In this regard, he was even more anemic than Jack Ryan!
1 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
'whooosj slashhh slashhh'
ops-5253527 February 2019
Are the the basic tune of this hilarious angry slasher revenge killer indonesian/ australian producton.

i had this film on the menu before having breakfast, and im glad i did, because this was wild and brainblasting revenge action(or maybe terror??), that came as a true surprise to me. its starts slow with a'' i halp ya mista,yo giv mi big dallar,åkei?'', until the message man is tread on his sore toe by a girlthieving pirate, and then its game on. its not much kung fu faitin' , but you will for sure get an overdose of knive stiching,sword slicing gun shootin, and a bit of sniper shooting head blasting, combined with some gps locators and explosive dollars!!!!!

if you cant make any sense of what ive said now ,then do have a look at this film yourself. if youre looking for a good and heartfilled story, go somewhere else because the bloodspatering action you get her are like robert ginty &co in the 1980 cult classic ''the exterminator''

just listen to the negativity roundabout,this is just killakillerkill for a good cause , and the grumpy old man recommends this. its not as good as scarface(that has got a great story), but i bet that had scarface been made today, the kinda violence shown here would be the trend .
10 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wow, much better than I was expecting, especially considering...
Top_Dawg_Critic3 March 2019
Wow, much better than I was expecting, especially considering this is a non-Hollywood international (Indonesian and Australian) low budget B-grade film.

When I review a film, I don't compare apples to oranges, and thus rate it on its production merits. This is the 'first' ever film by director, writer, editor and producer Corey Pearson. WOW did he hit this one out of the ballpark - especially considering all the hats he wore for his first film!

Right from the start, the cinematography and directing seemed like it came from a seasoned film-maker. Excellent shots - pans, zooms, angles, etc. - all perfect.

Sure we've seen many of these types of hit-man films, but this one still felt refreshing, especially due to the films location setting. The films 91 min length was perfect, and the pacing was spot on.

The casting was mainly no-name actors or C-listers, but all performed really well, although I wasn't too impressed with Paul O'Brien's performance - or even as the casting choice. He seemed very stale, and in the beginning, uninteresting.

The choreography for the fight scenes was decent, with a surprisingly perfect amount of gore. The sound/score was on point.

Overall this was a real treat to watch, especially knowing that this was Corey Pearson's first dabble in film-making. His production was better than some of the big budget Hollywood-backed A-list productions I've seen lately. This film-maker is certainly one to watch!

It's a well deserved 9/10 from me, and if anyone questions my review as being fake, click on my username and you will see my almost 600 reviews and 1000+ ratings. Ignore the haters and wannabe critics and watch this film, I'm sure you will be as surprised as I was.
75 out of 99 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not much story but violence aplenty!
omendata1 March 2019
I see a lot of people are comparing this to the Raid and I do not know why as the situation and story are completely different but what does connect the two is the over the top gore and violence which is a treat for us action fans.

Not much story, but hey who cares its an action shoot em and chop em up and that is what you should be expecting going into it.

Problem with the film is you don't actually see much of the fight choreography as the camerawork is very close contact and I guess the guy who choreographed the Raid had some rather interesting fight combos and action sequences whereas this one is more of a chop-chop bang-bang, you are dead and move on action sequencer.

It does what it says on the tin and is above average fair and beats most of the recent so called action films that have come out of hollywood recently; notably Sylvester Stallone's last 3 awful action films!
2 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No Method or Message in this Madness...
Xstal17 August 2020
Ruthlessly unoriginal, if mindless slaughter is y'bag then re-watch a Takashi Miike. Very few films would be enhanced by Vinnie Jones but this is certainly one of them - it's that bad!
15 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great movie with great acting
Acting perfect Action perfect Cinematography perfect Storyline seen before but well done Climax and delivery perfect
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Please stick around for this movie its real treat!!
Brooklynsmagicmike14 April 2020
The first 30 minutes or so I watched this movie I thought to myself "oh brother another cheesy b movie". Something in me tho for some reason said stick around and boy did this movie kick into another gear.

The only star I docked was for that slow beginning. After that expect Action, blood, and gore throughout. Keep in mind this isn't big budget film so do not go in expecting the most amazing choreography or biggest acting names in world and you'll have fun.

Basically would call this indonesias take on John Wick. Def recommend this movie you'll be highly entertained and wont regret it!
3 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Shocked
solidabs24 November 2020
This wasn't bad at all. Great action and good story.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nice hidden gem
drunken_munki11 December 2020
Good action film with something a little different to spice it up.

A lot of it is the same general action stuff I've seen a hundred times, but there were some scenes, topics, and set pieces that offered something new and competently executed by the production team.

I liked the protagonist and the actor behind him, the cast of Indonesian people was great and overall the movie was impressive for a low budget.

6/10 above average action flick with some cheesy moments but overall a nice surprise.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful location, well filmed, and much better than expected
I'll make this short and sweet, with no spoilers.

First, it should be noted that the basic storyline & plot is nothing prophetic. Heck...nearly every Clint Eastwood western has a similar plot, so...yeh...it's been done. It's been done A LOT! But it's never been done in beautiful Indonesia, and aside from Paul O'brien, it's an almost completely local (ie Indonesian) cast.

Second, by filming in such an amazingly picturesque locale - even in the slums of one- the cinematography really shines. The first 30 minutes or so emphasizes the location as the backstories are provided. Interestingly, even though it's the "same old story," by having no-name actors in an unfamiliar place, it doesn't feel like the same old thing.

With respect to its specific characteristics, the film is fairly well done. The directing is very good. There was obviously a clear vision for this film and the director captured the story well. The acting is also good. The script, at times, tries "making" the characters more descript, which was unnecessary, as the actors did not need this treatment. Beyond this minimal positing the script was adequate. The editing was a little shaky at times, but more related to the action sequences. When not working with seasoned martial artists it can be tricky to film major action sequences, so there are some scenes that aren't as fluid as could be. This is not problematic, however, but a personal note. My biggest gripe, which is small, was the use of CGI blood and stylized violence. Personally, I prefer practical fx but for indie movies (ie low budget) it's often cheaper and easier to add blood in post. It's not a big deal and didn't ruin the movie, but a personal preference.

Overall, it was a fun watch. The 90 minutes went by in the blink of an eye, which is often the mark of a good movie. This film would appeal to any action movie fan.

Re: parental content:
  • there are a couple of instances of profanity, but they are few and far between.
  • there is no nudity of any kind, other than some scantily clad dancers
  • no drug use, but a couple scenes with alcohol. It is not gratuitous in any way.
  • loads of violence and killing. While there is NO gore content the body count on kills is high. Lots of stabbing, gun shots, severed limbs, and blood, but none of these are lingered on it shown in graphic detail. If blood is not your thing then this is probably not a movie you would enjoy.

I enjoyed the movie and would recommend it others. It is NOT a $100M Hollywood production so don't expect $100M worth of fx and extras. This in no way hampers the overall experience. At least not for me.
16 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Major Mayhem
compugor24 June 2019
Takes a while to get going but once the action starts its like John Wick with knives and guns, along with long range high calibre sniper support, all graphically portrayed. Unlike most movies in this genre, the protagonist does almost all the butt kicking, and in brutal slaughter mode. Enough of the bad guys' wickedness is developed so that their merciless dismemberment and gory slaying is well deserved. The arch bad guy finally gets in a some obiligatory licks before the gratifying ending. Nothing complicated to the plot; this is just raw violent entertainment, effectively presented. Ability to engage fantasy perception required, like a video game (guard your sensibiities).
5 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
yeah its not good
wildblueyonder24 June 2020
Could be worse. Not really for me I shouldn't probably rate these types of movies its not like I couldn't guess what it was.

I've seen worse, if you're into that sort of thing maybe give it a go. I'm not, but I still made it through it.
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nothing Happens for First 50 Minutes
nafps26 January 2021
Incredibly slow for most of its run time. The action, when it finally happens, is very violent, but not exciting or suspenseful.

One other reviewer pointed out most of these reviews are obviously fake and don't even say much to show they've seen the film.

Skip it.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Action packed
travism-4478413 January 2020
Finally an action movie that delivers. Fast paced. The lead is a great hitman
1 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
BETTER THAN YOU THINK
toralyoshida28 May 2021
Refreshing!

You will not regret. Non American but nicely done. Everything is good about this movie. Though not original very effective.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The negative reviews are fake! Warning: Spoilers
I think the negative reviews are fake because this movie is great. And yes, sometimes movies are so good they are a 10. I just loved this gem of a movie. It was so real I thought I was there. The acting was great, the plot was great, the production was great. What more could you want? I thought the main character was so interesting it was brilliant. He started off pretty solemn, but started coming back to being human after he got involved with a family, which really brought me into the story. It had great action and a great story line. I totally loved it.
4 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hahahaha must be a joke!
popsalicious20 June 2019
What utter nonsense! Rather have a nap and use your time wisely !
5 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A VERY uneven movie
stole869 December 2020
While I can forgive the first half an hour being slow, getting to know some of the characters, the rest has my head scratching. There are some excelent gory scenes but half the time the camera was pointed away from the blood, like this movie didn't know if it wanted to be PG-13 or not. Also, while some parts of the assassin's "planning skills" (avoiding spoilers) are extremely cool, nothing is explained and it's expected the viewer to know some things, like this was an episode of a series and things were seen earlier. Btw acting of main indonesian guy is awful, find him a new career asap. Overall, some good parts of a movie that could have been great if the director was brave enough to follow through.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Action packed
tlpinbcc30 August 2019
Love a movie that is fast paced. Great character and though a tried and true storyline very well done. Left me smiling. Entertaining and a good watch.
3 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good Movie
I fully enjoyed this movie. I especially loved the setting and the scenery and the hero was very different than most action hero's in that his compunction about killing seemed near zero. This genre and approach to movie making is refreshing and shows promise. I loved it unapologetically.
6 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A well made low-budget action flick, short & sweet brutal punisher type fight scenes. A tense and realistic tone.
TYContact12 December 2019
Saw this on prime video. If you like Equalizer and Taken type of story, you'll like this one. This one is of course without the budget and the star power, but the pace and characters are well made.
1 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brutal
ataylor-5330714 September 2019
But liked it very much! Liked the main character too!
5 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.