Bird Box (2018) Poster

(2018)

2,818 Reviews
Loses Steam
krbodkin26 November 2020
I thought the first half of the movie was entertaining enough, but when they began the search for sanctuary it got dull fast. Also too happy of an ending for an event this ominous. Everything from the monsters to their disciples are left with no closure.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty good, kinda scary
allykerrisk21 November 2020
A film strictly for lovers of scary movies. I thought this is was great movie that showed humanity's friendship and being kind and helping one each other. It will make you feel slightly sick and give you anxiety as you watch the whole of humanity fall apart. I loved the ending and thought it was a great way to finish the film. The only thing I didn't like was that you never got to see what the monster actually looked like and lots of things were never explained.
Better than expected
scwynne17 November 2020
I'll admit, this movie was predictable. There wasn't much that surprised me, BUT I actually enjoyed it. It kept me on the edge of my seat, and I was invested in the characters.I thought the acting was fantastic, and the beginning, the part where everything began to fall apart, relatable.

Don't get too attached to the characters because few make it through. But it was still very entertaining.
Very Enjoyable flick
Sergiodave14 November 2020
Held off from watching Bird Box because of so many very negative reviews, should have ignored them. A well made movie with very good acting from a great cast, the direction was fine and the movie moved along at a good pace. The movie is based on a novel by Josh Malerman, but his inspiration was definitely John Wyndham's The Day of the Triffids. A lot of issues in the movie are left unanswered, but I think that's good, it leaves you to use your own imagination. A good film to watch.
Good But Derivative With Nothing Resolved
martimusross14 November 2020
Bird Box

The was good but not great. The acting was good and it was stuffed with stars but Sandra Bullocks performance was a copy of everything Emily Blunt had done in A Quiet Place and it was as if she had just watched that movie.

In fact this was the problem all round, it was just all to derivative and predictable.

We were provided with little explanation or resolution, perhaps they plan a sequel, but just about everyone died. Was it and alien invasion, why were some exempt from the madness, when you opened you eyes why was their always an alien in front of you, etc etc.

Let's say I enjoyed it while I watched it but with hindsight much was unsatisfactory, a soft 6
Good enough
Abdulxoxo12 November 2020
This is a good survival mystery horror film, Sandra Bullock and others were well-casted. I like that even we the audience can't see the entities it makes the atmosphere even more creepy. the cinematography was wonderful especially the river sequences, and the editing was amazing, jumping back and forth from the current situation to the past and vice versa worked well. But what i didn't understand is that some could "see" and nothing would happen to them, did they adapt or something? it wasn't really explained here nor the origin of the entities for that matter. And the ending was a bit weak.
Pretty good
Just-A-Girl-149 November 2020
I had really low expectations of this film and frankly I avoid watching it for a while because I've seen the movies "A Quiet Place" and "The Silence" (which have the same premise) and I did NOT like them. However, this movie was far better than the other two. It has a good pace, a mysterious element to it and lots of emotional scenes. Sandra Bullock is doing a really good job showing how scared her character really is. Behind all her toughness there's lots of love, she is just too scared to show it. I also liked the other characters in the film. Yes, some of them were a little cliche but I still liked them. It's not a perfect movie, there are some unanswered questions but I did like the ending of the film so all in all I think it was pretty good. Will definitely watch the sequel.
To much dead space
JoeyS928 November 2020
Not enough Sarah Paulson... I'm not bias, you're bias... Also way to long... Lots of dead space... Gets boring
Don't Look Away
deepfrieddodo7 November 2020
A novel story (insofar as you can't use sight, unlike A Quiet Place where you can't make sound) that hits the ground running. The plot is told following the two ends of the timeline, and is done well to entice the audience and ensure you are able to piece together what is happening.

There are a few daft elements, sure, but other than that there are no real pitfalls. People may complain that you're not confronted face to face with the negative force, but surely mystery is part the horror genre? Every part of The Shining wasn't explained laboriously, not telling everything is the interesting part!

Acting is impressive, Bullock is at her standard and Malkovich plays a very Malkovich character. Visually it is very impressive (ironic given the premise) but the soundtrack doesn't add all that much. It's fast paced, it's engrossing, it's worth a watch.
Answers
alishahg-848297 November 2020
Just because the bird face is not reveal and also it had not give answers of many questions
Birdbox review
singhgurchetan-499056 November 2020
I would like to start off by saying that it was definately a movie that kept me hooked ..very entertaining and enjoyable..maintains a decent pace and mystery element.what I don't like about this movie is the repetitive cliche characters like Douglas and the run away couple...I mean we have already seen such characters in movies like walking dead . AND at some point it fails to provide closure about the supporting actors like the runaway couple ..once they abandon the survivors group we don't get to see anymore of them.apart from these the movie was great . definately a new and unique approach to horror genre and also holds a great sentimental and emotional value(We can see this in character development of Malorie). cinematography was on point and storytelling was easily understood.ALSO the last scene is my favourite since it presents weakness of humans ie their lose of eyesight of blind people becoming their strength in times of crisis.
Nothing new here
carollake-896226 November 2020
It has all been done before, and better. What started as interesting, and drew us in, then very slowly began to get boring. The film is too long and repetitive (there were even actual scenes repeated - insulting viewers intelligence). There were long, long scenes of rowing, running, running and then rowing, searching houses for supplies, rowing, running, rowing. The story is shown in past and present, so we learn how Malorie and the kids got to being in a boat - but we're not told why until sometime later in the film.

The bunch of characters in the house are great, but we knew where it was heading as only Marlorie and the kids are making the journey, so no spoilers here. Loved Douglas, he had some great lines and was the most sensible of the lot - staying at the supermarket, why not? Don't let Gary in! (great to see Tom Hollander). Also liked Charlie. The others were just stereotypical extras, the sweet old lady, the pair of tattooed oddbods up to no good, the overweight, simple pregnant girl, the young sensitive male (Ooh in Afghanistan we escorted a man taking his kids to school, aren't we just wonderful!) We all laughed at his overblown muscles as after five years they'd been no place to work out, but hey ho, if we can believe aliens are out there.....

The film WAS watchable at first, although we didn't see the aliens/monsters, we sort of knew what was going - the leaves/litter being whirled around told us they were near, as did the panicking birds. All been done before and around sixty years ago in the fantastic/brilliant Night of The Demon, but here (unlike that supernatural explanation) in Bird Box it was never explained what the 'monsters' were, what they wanted. - a bit like The Happening. Now I and many others do like an explanation.

In the opening scenes we wondered how Tom was quickly able to work out that looking up made you suicidal - it's never explained. The ridiculous street scene of suicides and mayhem had only just happened yet the characters suddenly knew that looking up would turn them suicidal (later murderous), hence the blindfolds outdoors. They don't even wonder or question it amongst themselves.

Why did the two births take place at the same time? Odd to feature this with no explanation - just for cheap shocks? Missed opportunity there.

The film was predictable (we know the large lady will die as Malorie has TWO kids), we know she and Tom (despite her age and looks) will get it on. We know that two oddbods will abscond. We know that Gary...........

It was hard to believe many of the scenes as they were plain daft: blind folded whilst rowing through rapids, rescuing a kid from the river whilst both are blindfolded - the other miraculously making it alone to shore - AND being able to round up two kids in a forest using a bicycle bell. It was just so clumsily done.

We understand why SB called the kids Boy and Girl as her non-maternal instincts were there from the start, also, why form a bond and name kids that may not survive this horror? As for finding the safe haven - why on earth would there be radio contact drawing people to a 'safe haven', knowing they could be the murderous affected people luring victims there, or that the murderous/affected people will hear the message and make their way there (forget the eye check).

The sugary sweet, paradise-like ending spoiled it for me. The midwife who we see in the opening scenes treating Malorie, is there - Hallelujah! Isn't it awful, to spend so much time on a film, hoping it will move and get to the point, only to have it ending in such a disappointing and lazy way. Another missed opportunity for something different and much less predictable. Reminds me of Disney's take on the The Little Mermaid - in the book she dies/is made to the foam on the waves, some film makers won't allow a sad/shocking ending.

Bullocks face was also a turn off. Her once nice face has been messed about with and we all couldn't help but compare her odd features at times to Michael Jackson's.
Yooooooo
ariagfrye5 November 2020
It's an interesting tale. The storyline was great, and the ACTING!! It was all amazing! Better of the "horror" films! It was kinda intense, but I could handle it despite my sensitivity.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I'd choose watching paint dry over this movie
jedimeisterinc4 November 2020
It was bad, boring and simply confusing. I hated every second of it.
Same tired Hollywood premise
ronnzhere3 November 2020
Basically a glorified "The Happening" movie with better actors but same nonsensical premise. Add few A list stars , few cute kids and lo behold you have a film in your hands without, of course, any interesting plot.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
TRASH. This is my point of view from the movie since I don't read the book
natsuka_arei28 October 2020
Not worth of your time. The first 20 min of the movie, I lost interest to continue it but my boyfriend wants to watch till the end so I grit my teeth and tag along. He continues because he hopes this will get better, but believe me, it didn't get any better! He ends up agree with me haha. I'm frustrated and wondering why this movie can even get rating above 6!

The MC is pretty much annoying and not loveable, the acts were stiff and not convincing, and the people in the movie were always doing plausible act of foolishness.

This movie is all about survival and follow the classic route in which the MC and the group of survivors were trying to survive but all of them end up dying because of impostor, except the MC of course. Unlike any other survival and apocalypse movies, this movie shows almost none of their day to day life to survive, no intense internal conflict. Also, there's no character development! You won't know the back story of each characters so don't hope for one. I don't even remember the names of the survivors because well....they don't leave impression at all so it's hard to even symphatize with them. You won't care even if one of them die.

From the beginning to the end, they won't reveal the creature (only looks like a gust of wind). Not even a hint of why all of this happen in the first place. Everyone who goes outside without covering their eyes will suddenly have the urge to suicide (but not all of them. Some of the people became the infected and display 'insanity' in which they were trying to kill others/the uninfected.)The ending is they ended up in a school for blind people. That's all.

To sum it up, this movie is similar to Quiet Place (but Quiet Place is much more better), no explanation about a lot of stuff: too many plot holes and flaws you can't ignore, lack of originality, so many illogical stuffs in it so if you are a very logical person you better skip it before this movie tortures your brain.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good Movie
ericlangston-3057828 October 2020
Although I believe the hype overshadowed the movie, I still liked it. The best part was how it created such a conversation after you watched the movie. I think most people ended up watching it again.
Not great, not bad
ivanmessimilos24 October 2020
A good movie that takes your attention for two hours, but that's it. There are no reversals, new insights or explanations for the events. Lots of unnecessary characters that have no purpose in the film nor do they affect the overall story. The ending of the film was also too flat for me, not at all spectacular or at least satisfying. Overall, the film isn't bad just that it's not something particularly good.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the worst movies I ever seen
Clarence-Worley-8617 October 2020
I just don't understand the hype this film received, I actually think people are lying when they say this movie was good. I can't believe someone could look a person in the eye with a straight face and recommend this.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Too boring
fatihyarici15 October 2020
Scenario is boring and illogical. Don't have end, don't have any reason, don't have explanation.
An emotional roller coaster
lukaclarke13 October 2020
This really is an emotional roller coaster and I one of the best films I have seen in a very long time. Thank you to the producers, directors, actors, film crew, writers and anyone who made this it really is quite something special
Terrrible Movie
RuckenZucker13 October 2020
I found it hard to watch unti the end. complete bullocks in my opinion. i cant find anything interesting about the movie. also the acting is terrible for my taste.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved this movie
mmpatriot12 October 2020
I bought this move recently and my husband and I watched it again. We know exactly from where the writer got this story. It made that coming reality easy to understand and possibly prepare for. This is a thinkers kind of film. Sandra Bullock was so excellent as were the players around her. We were rooting for her the entire time. Thank you Sandra for an excellent movie. We loved it!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just a good horror movie
sdrenthe7 October 2020
This is just a well made movie with a good story.
Bird Box
HorrorFan19844 October 2020
An unseen force wipes out most of the world by causing people to kill themselves while in a trance like state. Bird Box follows a group of survivors as they try to survive this new world.

The film pretty much starts out with a news report of mass suicides plaguing not only the United States, but the entire world. Our main character Malorie is pregnant and goes to the hospital with her sister to check on the status of the baby. After a clean bill of health, Malorie sees a woman trying to kill herself by bashing her head in against glass window. While driving away from that mess, her sister (who is driving) gets into a trance like state and deliberately drives her car into another car. After the accident, the sister purposefully walks in front of a moving truck killing her instantly. Malorie gets pulled into a house for safety and she meets a group of 6 adults who are just as scared as she is about the things happening around her.

Bird Box did a tremendous job at creating extreme tension at every turn. Early on, viewers are taken on an exhilarating ride which involves seeing many average people killing themselves after being put into trance like state. After our main characters realize what is happening around them, we are given intense thrilling moments of them trying to survive this new world. They realize they need to eat for example, so going to the grocery store is a horrific journey for them.

The characters were fleshed out enough and given a lot of material for viewers to either root for or hate them. Sandra Bullock as our lead Malorie was fantastic as always. The layers to her character change as the movie goes on. She becomes stronger in some ways, but lets her walls down at the same time allowing other people in to care for her. Lots of great appearances by terrific actors like Trevante Rhodes, Sarah Paulson, BD Wong, and John Malkovich.

Bird Box is very comparable to 'A Quiet Place' for me, another horror film that broke into the genre with a lot of fresh ideas. With that movie, the characters couldn't make any sounds or they'd be killed. In Bird Box, they literally are not allowed to see and look at the outside world or else they'll be put into a suicidal state. The idea of playing on people's senses is a new sub-genre to the horror theme and this movie does it very well. Highly recommended.