Bird Box (2018) Poster

(2018)

2,586 Reviews
Meh
kostkyrolga17 June 2019
I didn't enjoy this movie as much as I'd want to. I found the story warped. We've seen a bunch of movies with warped scenarios in a way, either mystery or crime movies etc. But in most of these films, that whole weird situation makes sense at some point in the end. Yet, in birdbox, it didn't, at least for me. It's mostly a story about survival. That isn't necessarily bad, but in this particular case the whole concept was pointless. On the other hand though, this movie has good actors, filming, sound effects etc. I wasn't disappointed at all from that perspective. It is certainly a good production. To sum up, it's not a movie I'd recommend or consider watching again in the future, because it left me with a bland taste.
The movie more or less.
pipemanuel102017 June 2019
The movie more or less.

I found the movie more or less. I find the script not the best. Besides that some scenes it presents are very unrealistic (as much as it is a movie). Sandra Bullock is a big actress for what this film was for and one was expected more.
Unexpectedly good
betultaskin16 June 2019
Its book was really boring but its movie is quite thrilling and moving. I can't clearly remember but I think the end of the book is different.
Insanely bad
syed-afzal-udin15 June 2019
It is as more stupider than the stupidest movie I have ever seen.
Missing something
richardlessels15 June 2019
I could take a guess at some of the meanings and life lessons this film is supposed to convey. But the problem is exactly that....I'm having to guess. That basically means that any messages the film is trying to send out don't really hit home.

Bullock puts in a good performance, as do some of the supporting cast. The sad thing is the story itself (or the delivery of it) falls short, which is why I've only given it 5/10.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worth a watch but not for out and out horror
PsychoBeard66615 June 2019
A cross between The Happening and A Quiet Place but without the rubbish dialogue of the former and without the scares of the latter.

Some characters were a tad bland but I enjoyed performances from John Malkovich and Sandra Bullock wasn't as bad as people have said.

I'd recommend it but keep your horror expectations low.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
a message sold to the wrong audience
OneAnjel15 June 2019
This film was poorly done, considering it had 2 mega stars. The stars seemed out of place: Malcovich seemed like he was playing Shakespeare to a HS class; Bullock seemed like she was bored and just finished reading her part moments before shooting the scene. But it's definitely not a post apocalyptic film; it's not about surviving after a holocaust. It's about hope. For me, the final moments of the film - the message of hope - was worth sitting through the meandering of the film until then. It was a lot of meandering and yet, looking back you realize that the film was setting the stage for what it was; too many people complain about what it wasn't. The trailer that makes it look like a post apocalyptic piece is appealing to the wrong audience. I especially was disappointed in Bullock. She was never my fav actor but I think she really was miscast here. Not only is she too old to play the part of a pregnant woman who manhandles a rifle and has the attention of a 29 y/o hottie, but we can't figure out what age the film wants us to see her, as an introverted artist who got knocked up by a roommate. I actually thought she looked a lot older than 54 in many of the shots. I did not read the book, but I feel safe in saying it was probably a lot better entertainment. that is often the case with book-to-film. Steven King has said there are only 2 accurately done films of his novels. The rest were disappointments - at least for him.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So bad characters.. the script writers had no idea how a human..behaves .
sunilpsagar14 June 2019
The characters and dialogues are so awful..I don't know why people rated this so high. I did not finish this movie.. couldn't continue beyond half an hour..
A Dumpster Fire
bobsutherby8 June 2019
Where to begin with this movie? I thought it was the worst Netflix movie of 2018 (until Sierra Burgess happened!)

Soooo many questions: WTH is/are the monster/s? Why wasn't Sandra Bullock affected while in the car with Sarah Paulson? How much blocking of windows do they have to do in order for it to be effective? Why aren't they affected if so much light is showing through their blindfolds? How did they manage to walk through a forest while blindfolded? How did they manage to navigate that river for 36 hours without crashing? How did the Bird Box magically reappear after the crash in the rapids? How did Sandra Bullock and Danielle McDonald end up in labour at exactly the same time? Why didn't Sandra choose names for her kids?

But the biggest question is: How did that train-wreck of a script get OK'd?

This production had potential. It was terrible script-writing that derailed it.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An interesting inclusion in the genre of terror.
Endless_017 June 2019
Bird Box is a movie based on a novel with an interesting and curious concept to carry out, taking the main idea of fear of something incomprehensible, but above all, imperceivable, thanks to the fact that they are unable to see their enemy, this monster or creature, this strange entity that has the ability to kill them with just a second inside the eye orbits of these people. A creature that is impossible to see, the fear of something that we cannot even defend ourselves.

With an interesting idea the movie starts, developing at a slow pace, but solid, with good performances by the cast, especially Bullock, which gives an interesting perspective to the tough girl but able to open her heart to those who deserve it, both their care and love.

The film is directed in a good way, with quite interesting and entertaining moments, although a narrative structure based mainly on flashbacks and memories that end up becoming a bit of overexposure, however, it gives a good idea about the main plot and the first days of the disaster. After this, the final act concentrates mainly on the present and takes us through the most tense moments of the film. Although it remains stable with all these aspects, I think it fails a lot in the logical aspect or at least the logical narrative, also becoming a little slow with the development of the 2nd act of the story, and I must say, that the movie really,is not scary, it can be tense and somewhat exciting, but I never had a sensation of terror while watching it.

Still, it was very entertaining and worthwhile for horror movie lovers.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
a couple scenes fell into cliche but overall good movie
elgabote4 June 2019
I do like this kind of movie premises, I found it similar to "The Happening" or "Blindness" and other apocalyptic stories that are not zombies. With these kind of movies I find that the explanation of the events is not necessary really, what's interesting is the situation in which the characters are and how they act. So the strength of the story will be on the characters themselves. Then you can have some good cinematography to back up a creepy atmosphere and the ending to give a twist or shock. Here I found pretty decent characters, good cinematography and an ok ending, none are great, but it does the job of keeping me interested, not annoy me with extremely stupid behaviours (there was a scene which I found quite silly near the ending, and was quite important, with the main characters, but...) and not disappointing me with an awful ending. Still, it fell a bit bland in the end, and as I said, everything is ok, but nothing exceptional. It definitely had potential for a better movie.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Total waste of a what could have been a good plot
jehdemarchi2 June 2019
Too cliche and bad acting. Because of that, nothing in this weak piece is believeble.
It was alright
d_m_s31 May 2019
I gave this a 6 cos it was on par with similar film A Quiet Place. Apparently this is also like The Happening. Anyway, both Bird Box and A Quiet Place were engaging enough and kept me entertained for the duration but overall, plot holes and far fetched circumstances and achievements reduced the overall quality. It was impossible to believe Bullock & kids could have survived at all, never mind that boat trip they went on. It was all a bit too convenient in the end. Also the ending was very cheesy.
Good job Bird Box
nimitz54128 May 2019
Well, this movie managed to get 5 stars from me only because it had an okay cast, and okay story, and most of all it made people try it out in real life. Goes to show you how dumb some americans really are. I have to appreciate the movie taking advantage of that at least, even though I'm sure they did not mean to.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Read book after watching movie
lthurman5127 May 2019
I had to give this one more star after reading the book. It was an excellent adaptation. I loved Tom in the film and then loved a different Tom in the book. The differences made a better story to watch unfold. Great thriller compared to several new ones on Netflix recently that are seriously lacking.
Netflix At Its Best
jericha-2740226 May 2019
Wow, this is a great film. While I will admit the premise isn't 100% original, this film takes you on a different kind of ride.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the absolute worst movies I've ever seen
saundersbill26 May 2019
I'll keep it short, if I could have given this movie a negative rating it would be a - 10
A Decent Film If It Is Not Compared With Another Film With The Same Premise
PeterTubbs23 May 2019
This is an edited review from one posted by this viewer over three months ago. At the time I gave this film a thumbs up, but I was not completely fair and did not offer the review in my complete format. This was because of having previously viewed Krasinski's, "A Quite Place". After writing hundreds of reviews this was the first time I can recall ever comparing two films directly. That is why it was unfair. This viewer has always treated films / series as individual works of art. Hence follows my review. Bier has helmed an exceptional thriller. Excellent direction, cinematography, screenplay, score and acting. All the artists involved deliver superlative performances. In particular Bullock and Malkovich stand out. The plot revolves around a women named Malorie who is independent, content with solitude and pregnant. Right from the beginning we learn that an ominous presence has created a world of madness, destruction and suicide. We learn that there is however a safe community from the presence that is accessible by river, but it is unwise to involve children in the trip. We then flash back to five years earlier when the chaos is just beginning around the world and then hits home. This ends up landing Malorie at the home of Douglas, who seems to know that danger is eminent. The plot then flashes back and forth between the trip down the river and the time spent at Douglas' home. Random individuals seek safety at the home, one being another pregnant women, and the individuals collectively determine that sight is the key to the presence driving people insane. As people come and go from the home danger always seems to follow and Douglas' self preservation is constantly being tested. On a blind trip to a supermarket an incident occurs which tips off Malorie to the fact that birds can sense when danger is near. Both Malorie and the other women deliver their children, a boy and a girl. Eventually a visitor arrives and Douglas' instincts are confirmed. This individual destroys the safe haven leaving only Malorie, the two children and Tom left. Some survivors of the presence have embraced it as beautiful and have become psychotic wanting all to experience the beauty. An encounter with these individuals leads to the film focused completely on the river, as now only Malorie and the two children known as boy and girl, and have been navigating at this point for nearly two days. During their journey the three remain blindfolded and carry a box with birds in it to warn them of the presence. Their travel down river includes an encounter with a psychotic embracer of the presence, gathering supplies, running into an obstacle which overturns their boat and finally the treacherous rapids which are a indicator that the safe community is just beyond if they can get past the rapids. The plot is crisp, unique, clever, thrilling, sublime, poetic and has a powerful ending. This is one of the best films Netflix has dropped. It is memorable and a magnificent film in it's genre.
Lots of thrills
jetkot23 May 2019
This film does what it intends to do. The trailers show you a glimpse of the tension and then the tension ensues. You enjoy the dark nature of the film. Sandra Bullock does justice to her role once again. Sara Paulson makes a nice cameo and John Malkovich is brilliant in his small role
structural flaw
SnoopyStyle19 May 2019
Malorie (Sandra Bullock) harshly lays out the rules to two young kids named Boy and Girl. They are going on a difficult river trip. They have to stay quiet and can never ever take off their blindfolds. The situation begins five years earlier. People are going mad and killing themselves. Malorie is extremely pregnant and her boyfriend has left. She's at a checkup with her sister Jessica (Sarah Paulson) when she first encounters the happening. She escapes the chaos and finds shelter with various people inside a house.

This is a variation on The Happening with a touch of A Quiet Place. Here the thing about The Happening. I didn't hate it. Mark Wahlberg and the reveal almost get me to hate it but I like the concept just enough to overcome it. The mass suicide angle is good although the deaths in this one is much more kinetic and therefore much more harrowing. There are a few problem, the biggest being the structure. Basically, the flashforward structure reveals who are probably going to die. The movie should have started with Malorie laying out the rules but the audience cannot see who she's talking to. It should have played the movie chronologically after that. By revealing the final grouping, it sucks the tension right out of the movie. Along with that, there are issues with some of the characters' actions. Someone should be in the room with Greg ready to pull the plug on the monitor. He is basically performing an experiment and it needs someone else to monitor it. When the group decides to leave the grocery store, there is no reason why Douglas wouldn't want to stay. In fact, it would be easier to move the group to the store rather than the other way around. While I understand locking up Douglas, somebody is supposed to look through Gary's bag. At the very least, I would have tied up Gary and put him under questioning. When the girls start the contractions, somebody should release Douglas. They need another set of hands. Instead of braving the rapids, it would be safer to walk it, no matter how much longer it would take. Despite all these issues, I do find the concept very compelling and it pulls me into its world.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boy? Girl? Boy-Girl? BOY-GIRL?!?!?!
Harvest-R19 May 2019
It doesn't matter if this movie is based on a novell. That fact alone doesn't make it good or bad. If the novell is good, you can still make a bad movie and vice versa.

I don't know how good the novell is. This movie, however, was just bad. It was boring and lengthy. And Sandra Bullock's character was very obnoxious. Her "Boy? Girl? Boy-Girl? BOY-GIRL??!!?" calls still haunt me.

I also think the movie would have been better off if it is was just a shortfilm. The whole movie could have been boiled down just to the happenings in house. No windup, no sister-drama, no mass-panic, no river journey. Just the house, the people, the tension, the mystery, the crazy guy, the climax, END CREDITS.
Amazing movie!
trinerosenville15 May 2019
Ive avoided this movie for a long time because it got so bad reviews. Lucky for me, my friends recommended it, and im so glad they did! I dont know if it sort of a popularity thing to hate it, but I think it was great.
Solid movie, interesting premise
veryprivateswag14 May 2019
I thought the premise was really interesting, the acting was solid, good to see Sandra Bullock again, and pretty good execution.

I would really like to see a sequel that maybe expands on what we know so far about everything.
Read the book
wiseguy23312 May 2019
The tragedy of this movie is people will not read the excellent novel Bird Box because the movie version for some reason decided to alter most of it and ruined it. Important characters from the book are never seen. Context is missing. Whole plot points are removed. None of it is necessary. The book is all about a fast moving plot. The book is as much of a mystery as it is a drama and it speaks not only to our will to survive in impossible circumstances but how we can make life meaningful when everything is hollowed out of it. It about courage and the need for connection but beyond all the the book is tense and fun. Somehow the movie is bloated. tacky and dumb. What a missed opportunity
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Interesting concept, but sadly it goes nowhere and nothing interesting happens.
MisterDaniel11 May 2019
All this talk about Bird Box ever since it aired on Netflix, I figured I might as well give it a shot.. And boy I was majorly disappointed, I will admit I like the idea that it presented, but it wasn't executed properly. Barely anything happened during the entire movie, and it was just really uneventful, and dragged on way too much with no really exciting outcome. I'd say if want to watch an interesting monster/ survival horror movie, watch A Quiet Place instead, way better movie.