The Grinch (2018) Poster

(2018)

OK, but feels unnecessary
brynnharms-7088510 November 2018
Took the grandkids to this movie...they didn't think it was very good. It seems like something that was produced for the dollars it could make rather than a story that needed to be told.

The good: it was not very long. The colors are brilliant and visually stimulating. Max was remade with a little more of a fun personality.

The bad: Grinch somehow seemed wrong. I'm not sure if it was the voice, the artistic effects, or just a general un-Grinchiness. The story was a retelling that didn't need to be. The biggest negative is the feeling that this movie is forgettable.

I'm sure I'll never watch it again. I've watched the original about a billion times, and the Jim Carrey version nearly the same.

Bottom line...save your money and rent it later.
60 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Family oriented
lshalo12 November 2018
Very family oriented and clear cartoon, and got a deep idea about Christmas agenda- thanksgiving before presents. Recommended for everyone
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved it- I hope it becomes a holiday classic!
downthehobbitholeblog13 November 2018
The grumpy Grinch learns about what the real meaning of Christmas is with the help of a little Who from Whoville. This movie is not only safe for the whole family but this whimsical adaption feels very Seussical. The movie feels pointed towards younger children but I was very engaged and would recommend it to adults as well. I loved the style of animation! I loved the choices for the voice actors! I hope that this becomes a holiday classic! Check out our discussion guide and review at DownTheHobbitHoleBlog.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The trailer shows it all
jimmy_a-713989 November 2018
If you've seen the trailer you've seen the whole movie. It's funny, yes, but the trailer ruins it as it has included every single joke from the movie.
40 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My 3 Year Old Loved It
jgibson7510 November 2018
This was the first movie theater experience for my 3 year old son. At 1 hour and 30 minutes he did get a tad restless in the later half of the film, which is to be expected. But he did love the film and the experience. As for me, nothing will top the classic cartoon from my childhood. And bits of this felt a bit more stretched out than needed be. But overall I found it cute, lighthearted entertainment that managed to capture the spirit of the original. The voice acting and a animation were solid. The songs, while not as good in my 43 year old eyes as the original tunes, were still serviceable.
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More or less EXACTLY what one would expect from Illumination's The Grinch.
Dwright121210 November 2018
Illumination is a studio known for producing gutless, boring, paint-by-numbers, mass appeal movies that focus more on cute gimmicks and marketing than they do on actual storytelling and character development. If you've seen anything else from Illumination, you practically don't need to see this movie, because you can probably just predict every scene in your head and just about get it right. While The Grinch isn't Illumination's worst, it's still a thoughtless and emotionless product only meant to sell toys and theater tickets before charm and charisma.

Benedict Cumberbatch's Grinch is boring. I do like Cumberbatch and I did think he'd be great to voice the Grinch, but he's terrible in this movie. His voice doesn't match the character whatsoever, and does nothing to bring the character more to life. At least Jim Carrey put energy and emotion into his performance, whereas Cumberbatch sounds like he's disappointed about the small paycheck he's just been given. The Grinch himself is written in a way that pulls all punches and has to cave in to cutesy kids logic instead of a clever way that tells a good story. Instead of making The Grinch actually funny or interesting, they make him the typical 2018 grumpy hipster who's a good guy at heart but just needs his morning coffee. Making him a mostly good character really undermines the climactic payoff of him finally understanding the meaning Christmas towards the end.

Sadly, both the character and the overall movie as a whole share the same problems; it's boring, uninspired, and vanilla. Much like the character, the movie sucks out anything interesting in favor for playing it safe and selling toys. The music is even done by rapper Tyler The Creator, and even as a moderate fan of his work, the music here is terribly uninspired and obviously an attempt to make the film more hip. Most of the jokes are entirely predictable. Actually, the entire movie is predictable. I don't mean we've seen the original movies, I mean the film follows every generic story you'll ever see in a kids movie. The film feels more like it was written by a computer and less like a team of engrossed screenwriters.

Truthfully, this film is not the worst thing to come out of Illumination. It may not be a good movie, but at least it doesn't completely bastardize and miseducate its message like The Lorax did, and at least it isn't as excruciatingly for-the-masses as Minions or The Secret Life Of Pets. The Grinch, as well as every single other Illumination Studios movie, is like a cute untamed puppy; it may urinate on your rug and chew up all of your shoes, but it's cute and looks at you with big puppy dog eyes and does silly things, so you don't punish it and let it slide when it really shouldn't be forgiven so easily. When are we as an audience going to stop letting these thoughtless movies slide solely because of their cuteness? Regardless, moms and kids alike will continue to enjoy these movies without the slightest care, simply because it's cute and nothing more.
50 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Grinch
DylanAnglin11 November 2018
I rarely watch animated movies, so I didn't expect much going into this one. I have to say I like the original and Jim Carrey ones better, but this is still fun. For a family movie, or just a movie to go see with a friend or girlfriend, I think this is a good flick to see going into the holidays! 7/10
13 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I didn't like this movie. That means I'm wrong for not liking it???
CriticalOfEverything9 November 2018
I honestly do not get the impressionable casuals who say that any critic who dislikes a movie they like is wrong. Using that logic, YOU'RE wrong for liking it. But that's not true, because it's all subjective. With that out of the way, allow me to explain why I didn't like this movie:

It's dull and boring. It's not interesting, it's only funny in certain places and even then it only resulted in a small smile. If what's advertised to me as a comedy movie isn't that funny to me, I think it's failed as a movie. This could've had the potential to be a pretty decent movie and it's not the first time Illumination has done a Dr Seuss movie. Expectations weren't exactly through the roof, but I expected them to do so much better than this. The animation is pretty good, as expected for Illumination, but it can only dazzle me for about 5 minutes before I realise how dull and uninteresting this movie is.

Again, if you liked this then good for you, but I just can't enjoy this movie.
58 out of 101 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cute family Christmas movie.
agroneman11 November 2018
It is the classic story of The Grinch we all know so well. So yes its predictable, yes we know what's going to happen and how it ends, but even so it was a joy to watch and the kids really enjoyed it. This version of the grinch is a little less disgusting and you see a bit more kindness from him, which I liked. It had quite a few laughs and some very sweet moments. I personally liked it better than the Jim Carry version. But nothing beats the original.
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't listen to the grinches reviewing this movie!
benribble9 November 2018
Anyone who gave this a bad rating clearly is just upset because, they don't like a modern Grinch because they grew up with the original classic Grinch cartoon. This movie was one of the most adorable and fun feel-good animated movies I've seen in a long time. Benedict Cumberbatch killed it as the Grinch and, all the gadgets and grandeur of the grinches holiday heist scene is so creative and colourful and fantastical! This is one of the greatest Christmas movies of all time up there with Nightmare before Christmas. This movie was a joy to watch and if you couldn't find joy in this movie maybe, you're the Grinch.
83 out of 159 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good movie, but forgettable.
nubsies9 November 2018
This movie is wonderful. It truely makes you get into the christmas spirit. The cast in this movie was great, especially Benedict Cumberbatch. He really put alot alot of power and character into the Grinch. Even better than Jim Carreys Grinch imo. The grich is a pretty lonely character so he has max to get along with. Max is a great character, though a dog, he's still loveable. The chemistry between Max and Grinch works great. In my opinion they could have given Frank a better exit than the way they did. I felt like the process of the Grinch becoming Santa was pushed a little late in the film, and that they spent too much time showing grinch just wondering around. There wasn't a whole lot going on with the story/plot. It was kinda just the same as the previous live action film with Jim Carrey, but the new characters kind of helped with that. Also what made it a little better was that they gave Cindy-Lou a motive for being in the movie, which was her just trying to help her mom. I was expecting to get some kind of cameo from past illumination characters, but i did like the callbacks to the previous grinch film. I feel like thus movie will only be popular for the next couple days. I dont really plan on seeing this agai. Its not amazing but still a fun watch. Great movie for the kids.
18 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great movie for kids!
sophiahobbs14 November 2018
I went to go see this movie with my little cousins. This was the first movie they saw in theaters, and they loved it. In their words, it was "Awesome!" I enjoyed it also. The movie is, of course, about based on the story that we all know and love. I went into the theater with high expectations because I'm a big fan of the Grinch movies and I have been since I was little. I appreciated that they tried to make the movie different from the others. I did like their attempt to make it more original, but there were some elements added that I did not like. The movie was funny and made me laugh, but I do think the humor was funnier to younger kids, which makes sense because it is a movie that was aimed to be for little kids. I gave this movie an 8/10 because I thought it could have been better, and I think they could have done so much more with this storyline. All in all, I think this is a great movie for the family and would highly recommend it.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
amazing movie
amrzoro13 November 2018
I watched this movie at the cenima , it was funny movie ,i think this movie is suitable for kid ..also it's family movie ..i laughed a lot..in my opinion i think this movie deserve high rate .. my rate is (10\10)
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring as a Grinch
Scott-A-Medlin10 November 2018
Very plain script. No added humor to the main story and characters whatsoever as one might expect from illumination. Couldnt wait to exit the theater. My kids barely sat through it.
24 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very long, boring and not worth the price of a movie ticket
kristiscott1119 November 2018
If you're going to see this movie wait till it's on Redbox so you can rent it for a dollar. We watched it tonight, opening night, the very first showing our theater head and my husband fell asleep. Our kids got antsy. My grandpa said he didn't like it at all. And I was very disappointed. Save your money save your time and watch the original grinch cartoon that's only like 25 minutes long and you'll be a lot happier. Every funny moment in this movie with shown during the previews. And if you were hoping to see that adorable chubby reindeer for any period of time during the movie you will be disappointed also. He makes a very short appearance and everything that he does in the movie you have already seen in the previews. I didn't care for the narrators voice either. And let me tell you I am a Christmasholic. I listen to Christmas music in July. I buy Christmas presents all your long & stock them up. I usually have my Christmas tree up the first week in November. So I have been looking forward to this movie since the moment I found out it was coming out. I am so sorry I saw it.
38 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One word, LAME
irishboy1419 November 2018
This is another film by illumination animation, a company known for their very cheap animation, generic cookie cutter plots, low brow humor, Pop music, and those annoying minions. Yet despite this list of grievances they are highly successful, because they make lowest common denominator movies anyone between 1 month and 100 years old could watch.

This brings us to the Grinch, a needless remake that no one asked for or wanted. After the Lorax's dreadful adaptation, the quality of this trash should come as no surprise. Yet it represents almost everything wrong with entertainment; it doesn't exist because an artist was inspired to craft a loving adaptation telling a story he/she wanted to tell. It exists because it's a Dr. Seuss property and a Dr. Seuss movie prints the money itself.

Anyway this movie is as lame and as generic as you could possibly imagine. The Grinch is comically sympathetic, but isn't likeable. I'm stunned that the filmmakers managed to suck out all character, nuance, and personality of the Grinch and leave him as a hollow shell who acts like an A**hole. Also the Grinch who should be a foul/gross weirdo looks too clean and basic thanks to the simplicity of the cheap animation.

The townsfolk are either comically evil, ignorant, or innocent. The setting is awful and feels empty, the music sucks, and the pop music REALLY makes your ears bleed in this one folks!

One positive is the color pallet, very Christmas-y and very easy on the eyes. But again the animation is so basic and simplistic that each character looks so bland and unmemorable I can't even remember more than 4 character designs.

Ultimately the quality doesn't matter (the studio knows this, which is why they sold this movie out to any company that would advertise it), people will see this and it'll make over $500 million at least. If somehow you like illumination animation movies, you'll like this one. if you don't then you'll hate this.
74 out of 152 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great fun!!
rbastille9 November 2018
Your smaller kids will love it! Incredible animation, had fun watching it in dbox.
28 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent!
AdrienneGrayceMusic11 November 2018
There is a reason I don't read critic reviews, and it is because I never ever agree with them. Usually when they say a movie is bad, I like it and vice versa. I like to leave reviews for movies and tv shows because I enjoy them, and I don't care about other people's views. I will give you my honest review as just a regular movie lover. Glad I didn't listen to critics on this film. It was great! A sold out theater. Kids and adults all laughed throughout the film. I went with my husband, sister, brother in law, and my niece and nephew. We all loved it equally. I enjoyed Jim Carey's version but I cannot compare them. I was wondering if I could like this without it having Jim Carey but I truly did. Heart-warming film with a slightly different take on it from the last film. To me, the dog, MAX stole the show! Great animation and effects. 3D is even better. To the people saying there was no storyline...ummm, there was! sheesh. Its about...well...THE GRINCH!! You don't take my advice, its just MY opinion, but I advise everyone to see this. Do not expect an Emmy winner, but it is still a great, warm and cozy holiday film.
17 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Heartwarming !
biancazlotea11 November 2018
As a kid, I hated the Grinch. In fact I was terrified of it. So I was obviously hesitant at the idea of seeing the remake. But the movie was excellent, really gave me the Christmas vibes and Mr. Grinch is actually really nicer then he seems. The graphics/drawings (however you wanna call them) are mind blowing ! It's a great movie that shows kids how Christmas is not about receiving gifts, but about spending time with the loved ones.

However, I felt like they didn't represent the Grinch's mean side enough before gradually showing his nice side. And the script was a little (a lot) lame and cheesy, but I'm not going to base my review on that.

Don't hesitate to watch it with kids, it was very touching:)
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My fiancé, who is the biggest Grinch of them all, loved this move
dvjones-2725911 November 2018
You'llbe laughing from the time you sit down until the credits start rolling. Heart warming and fun, it's a great movie for the whole family. And it doesn't have the terrible jokes and weird feeling of the Jim Carrey version...
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My favorite version!!
rudypen12169 November 2018
No matter how much worse the IMDb rating gets, watch the movie for yourself. I love the music, the animation, the voice talents and the storyline! Aside from from having a few goofy moments, the movie was a lot more dramatic and touching.
12 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wasnt even grinchy
SeanDTheFilmMaker11 November 2018
I love the actors I. It. The dog was cute. And funny moments. But the two previous grinch movies made the grinch clearly hate....loath entirely tye holiday. Where as this one made it feel like he was just avoiding. Doing his taxes. He mingled with the whos in a way that didnt even make him seem like that much of out cast. But the fault was in the writing. But still. A screaming goat is worth 8 stars lol
10 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Felt The Christmas Spirit!
judetonynassar13 November 2018
The Grinch Is A Great Christmas Animated Movie For All Ages!Warm,Lovely and I Recommend It
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not Grinchy enough, just depressed
vandrist9 November 2018
Please don't see this movie in theatres, if you liked the prior Grinch movies, then you won't like this one. It's not mean, it's not funny, it's not accurate to the storyline. It also ruins the iconic grinch song. This isn't a very good movie and you shouldn't waste your money seeing this. Rewatch the Ron Howard and Jim Carey version over and over again to get your fix this year. I know that's what I'm going to do. So many better songs in that version as well.
16 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So funny and heart warming
stephanie-r10 November 2018
I have absolutely no idea why this movie is not getting good reviews. I'm often extremely critical of kid movies but really enjoyed every bit of this one! I loved that it taught about love and kindness and the need for people without trying to shove any political correctness down our throats. Just a really funny, really good movie! Kids laughed trough the whole thing too!
21 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.