The Grinch (2018) Poster

(2018)

Maybe Christmas perhaps means a little bit more. Lost it's message!
donna-marie-wilson18 November 2018
I just didn't like it. I love the book I read it from November onwards every year to my kids. I love both the older versions but this just got diluted down until it was a poor version of a Christmas movie. The odd funny moments but nothing else. There was nothing mean or awful about the grinch at all he was quite nice to begin with just a lonely sad man who needed friends
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
OK, but feels unnecessary
brynnharms-7088510 November 2018
Took the grandkids to this movie...they didn't think it was very good. It seems like something that was produced for the dollars it could make rather than a story that needed to be told.

The good: it was not very long. The colors are brilliant and visually stimulating. Max was remade with a little more of a fun personality.

The bad: Grinch somehow seemed wrong. I'm not sure if it was the voice, the artistic effects, or just a general un-Grinchiness. The story was a retelling that didn't need to be. The biggest negative is the feeling that this movie is forgettable.

I'm sure I'll never watch it again. I've watched the original about a billion times, and the Jim Carrey version nearly the same.

Bottom line...save your money and rent it later.
131 out of 194 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Family oriented
lshalo12 November 2018
Very family oriented and clear cartoon, and got a deep idea about Christmas agenda- thanksgiving before presents. Recommended for everyone
41 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantastic animated movie
Buytobebetter19 November 2018
I am 64. My wife is 51. We loved it!! Imaginative and colorful, beyond our imaginations. Heartwarming story too.
22 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My favorite version!!
rudypen12169 November 2018
No matter how much worse the IMDb rating gets, watch the movie for yourself. I love the music, the animation, the voice talents and the storyline! Aside from from having a few goofy moments, the movie was a lot more dramatic and touching.
45 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My fiancé, who is the biggest Grinch of them all, loved this move
dvjones-2725911 November 2018
You'llbe laughing from the time you sit down until the credits start rolling. Heart warming and fun, it's a great movie for the whole family. And it doesn't have the terrible jokes and weird feeling of the Jim Carrey version...
39 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Grinch Doesn't Disappoint
candice_givoli13 November 2018
I went to go see The Grinch with my daughter who is 8 years old and we both enjoyed it. I laughed a little more than she did but she loved it! It follows along the typical Grinch storyline but with some new characters. If you are a fan of the Grinch, this movie will not disappoint and it's especially great for the kids who seemed to all enjoy it. Overall, a great family movie that delivers a great message in the end.
34 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The trailer shows it all
jimmy_a-713989 November 2018
If you've seen the trailer you've seen the whole movie. It's funny, yes, but the trailer ruins it as it has included every single joke from the movie.
62 out of 97 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun family film
janebrowne12 November 2018
Good film for the family, worth the money seeing it at the cinema and when it comes out on sky and when it comes out on Blu-ray
23 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cute family Christmas movie.
agroneman11 November 2018
It is the classic story of The Grinch we all know so well. So yes its predictable, yes we know what's going to happen and how it ends, but even so it was a joy to watch and the kids really enjoyed it. This version of the grinch is a little less disgusting and you see a bit more kindness from him, which I liked. It had quite a few laughs and some very sweet moments. I personally liked it better than the Jim Carry version. But nothing beats the original.
26 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More or less EXACTLY what one would expect from Illumination's The Grinch.
Dwright121210 November 2018
Illumination is a studio known for producing gutless, boring, paint-by-numbers, mass appeal movies that focus more on cute gimmicks and marketing than they do on actual storytelling and character development. If you've seen anything else from Illumination, you practically don't need to see this movie, because you can probably just predict every scene in your head and just about get it right. While The Grinch isn't Illumination's worst, it's still a thoughtless and emotionless product only meant to sell toys and theater tickets before charm and charisma.

Benedict Cumberbatch's Grinch is boring. I do like Cumberbatch and I did think he'd be great to voice the Grinch, but he's terrible in this movie. His voice doesn't match the character whatsoever, and does nothing to bring the character more to life. At least Jim Carrey put energy and emotion into his performance, whereas Cumberbatch sounds like he's disappointed about the small paycheck he's just been given. The Grinch himself is written in a way that pulls all punches and has to cave in to cutesy kids logic instead of a clever way that tells a good story. Instead of making The Grinch actually funny or interesting, they make him the typical 2018 grumpy hipster who's a good guy at heart but just needs his morning coffee. Making him a mostly good character really undermines the climactic payoff of him finally understanding the meaning Christmas towards the end.

Sadly, both the character and the overall movie as a whole share the same problems; it's boring, uninspired, and vanilla. Much like the character, the movie sucks out anything interesting in favor for playing it safe and selling toys. The music is even done by rapper Tyler The Creator, and even as a moderate fan of his work, the music here is terribly uninspired and obviously an attempt to make the film more hip. Most of the jokes are entirely predictable. Actually, the entire movie is predictable. I don't mean we've seen the original movies, I mean the film follows every generic story you'll ever see in a kids movie. The film feels more like it was written by a computer and less like a team of engrossed screenwriters.

Truthfully, this film is not the worst thing to come out of Illumination. It may not be a good movie, but at least it doesn't completely bastardize and miseducate its message like The Lorax did, and at least it isn't as excruciatingly for-the-masses as Minions or The Secret Life Of Pets. The Grinch, as well as every single other Illumination Studios movie, is like a cute untamed puppy; it may urinate on your rug and chew up all of your shoes, but it's cute and looks at you with big puppy dog eyes and does silly things, so you don't punish it and let it slide when it really shouldn't be forgiven so easily. When are we as an audience going to stop letting these thoughtless movies slide solely because of their cuteness? Regardless, moms and kids alike will continue to enjoy these movies without the slightest care, simply because it's cute and nothing more.
88 out of 146 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent!
AdrienneGrayceMusic11 November 2018
There is a reason I don't read critic reviews, and it is because I never ever agree with them. Usually when they say a movie is bad, I like it and vice versa. I like to leave reviews for movies and tv shows because I enjoy them, and I don't care about other people's views. I will give you my honest review as just a regular movie lover. Glad I didn't listen to critics on this film. It was great! A sold out theater. Kids and adults all laughed throughout the film. I went with my husband, sister, brother in law, and my niece and nephew. We all loved it equally. I enjoyed Jim Carey's version but I cannot compare them. I was wondering if I could like this without it having Jim Carey but I truly did. Heart-warming film with a slightly different take on it from the last film. To me, the dog, MAX stole the show! Great animation and effects. 3D is even better. To the people saying there was no storyline...ummm, there was! sheesh. Its about...well...THE GRINCH!! You don't take my advice, its just MY opinion, but I advise everyone to see this. Do not expect an Emmy winner, but it is still a great, warm and cozy holiday film.
41 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't listen to the grinches reviewing this movie!
benribble9 November 2018
Anyone who gave this a bad rating clearly is just upset because, they don't like a modern Grinch because they grew up with the original classic Grinch cartoon. This movie was one of the most adorable and fun feel-good animated movies I've seen in a long time. Benedict Cumberbatch killed it as the Grinch and, all the gadgets and grandeur of the grinches holiday heist scene is so creative and colourful and fantastical! This is one of the greatest Christmas movies of all time up there with Nightmare before Christmas. This movie was a joy to watch and if you couldn't find joy in this movie maybe, you're the Grinch.
112 out of 197 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful looking and charming animated feature.
cinephile-2769011 November 2018
I'm going to keep this review short since you know the story most likely.

I was enchanted by this movie from the moment it started. It was a fun animated movie, with gorgeous animation, a lot of heart, and even some humor. The 90 minute run-time makes the movie fly by.

And the Grinch is evil but not scary. This has been ridiculed, but I like that the movie was trying to make it more comfortable for the little ones.

The ending, even though I knew it was coming, was very uplifting. The Grinch's heart grew 3 times bigger, but guess what? So did mine!

This is one of my favorite animated movies now, and my #1 Dr. Suess adaptation. This is the movie to see this holiday season!

Note: If you found this review helpful, please click on cinephile-27690 to read my other reviews!
30 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved it!
smalhi201011 November 2018
Took my five year old daughter and this movie was amazing. Loved the concept and it was just too adorable. Highly recommend!
20 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I loved it
nicolecerny24615 November 2018
Had a modern twist and Benedict Cumberbatch is the best😍😍😍 loves the old ones but this was my favorite version so far loveddd it!!
17 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Felt The Christmas Spirit!
judetonynassar13 November 2018
The Grinch Is A Great Christmas Animated Movie For All Ages!Warm,Lovely and I Recommend It
17 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not like the other Grinch movies, but that's why we liked it!
Luv2teach11 November 2018
I created an account just to leave a review. I was not in the mood to see this because of the other grinch movies - the original and the Jim Carrey one, which I've seen too many times. However my husband and I had a great time with this new version. We loved the relatable mom (I have twins and worked graveshifts), loved that Cindy-Lou was adventureous and not so delicate, the Grinch was less grichy and more cranky which my husband and I loved (just for a bit of variety), and the relationship he has with maxx is so sweet. Plus it was visually amazing. Anyways, it isn't going to win an oscar, but my family loved the "tweaked" version.
Heartwarming !
biancazlotea11 November 2018
As a kid, I hated the Grinch. In fact I was terrified of it. So I was obviously hesitant at the idea of seeing the remake. But the movie was excellent, really gave me the Christmas vibes and Mr. Grinch is actually really nicer then he seems. The graphics/drawings (however you wanna call them) are mind blowing ! It's a great movie that shows kids how Christmas is not about receiving gifts, but about spending time with the loved ones.

However, I felt like they didn't represent the Grinch's mean side enough before gradually showing his nice side. And the script was a little (a lot) lame and cheesy, but I'm not going to base my review on that.

Don't hesitate to watch it with kids, it was very touching:)
26 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Genius holiday classic
fatbigchris20 November 2018
Okay so I have no idea where all the bad reviews are coming from I went to see it and I thought it was marvolus it was hilarious and warm hearted it's so beautiful and I recommend it to anyone
14 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awsome
gtalover-8330513 November 2018
It was so good benedict cumberbatch is awsome in this like always
14 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great family movie!
megangcr12 November 2018
I went to this movie today with my 3 and 7 year old kids and we all enjoyed it! This movie is an easy classic that will be in our Christmas movie rotation every year. It's so nice to see a take on the story that sticks pretty close to the original without doing what kids movies do so often these days - create over the top sad and heartbreaking back stories. Visually the movie looks great and the story moved along quickly enough to keep my 3 year olds attention. The characters are adorable and had everyone in the theatre laughing. If you're looking for a good easy going kids movie this one is great for the whole family.
22 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Heartwarming, funny, and family friendly.
lawndalesmith11 November 2018
They did a great job expanding upon the story. It's a beautifully animated movie, and safe for the whole family. I also appreciated the combination of classic Christmas carols, modern music, and orchestral score. This is a new annual Christmas movie for us!
My 3 Year Old Loved It
jgibson7510 November 2018
This was the first movie theater experience for my 3 year old son. At 1 hour and 30 minutes he did get a tad restless in the later half of the film, which is to be expected. But he did love the film and the experience. As for me, nothing will top the classic cartoon from my childhood. And bits of this felt a bit more stretched out than needed be. But overall I found it cute, lighthearted entertainment that managed to capture the spirit of the original. The voice acting and a animation were solid. The songs, while not as good in my 43 year old eyes as the original tunes, were still serviceable.
Beautiful Christmas movie
bigbro-7381612 November 2018
Look I'm probably not the target audience for this movie but I gotta say I smiled I. Laughed I felt flat out joy one of the best of the year simple sweet and fall down funny for once instead of a movie being about war it was about peice and love and joy nothing I regret about seeing this movie
18 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.