Me Before You (2016) Poster

(2016)

A Most Beautiful Love Story
pattypiazza9 September 2016
At times I feel that humanity has forgotten, or never really knew, what it is to really love someone. Jojo Moyes obviously isn't one of those people. Love isn't the lust we feel at the beginning of a relationship. It's not the thoughtful vision we compile of what the future could be like or how compatible we are. It's not about how financially successful a prospective partner is. It's certainly not all about sex, although it would be hard to come to this conclusion when the media generally plays strongly to that idea. It's the undeniable, overwhelming pull from our hearts that grows only when we really let ourselves care about someone unselfishly.

Thank you Jojo for playing this out so beautifully. Thank you Emelia and Sam for either knowing this experience or fabulously, convincingly portraying it on screen. This movie is a treat to watch and a glimpse of what it feels like to be a person who lives their life with a moral conscience, an open mind, a respect for beliefs that are different than yours and a desire to see the best in the world.

I feel absolutely cleansed of negativity after watching this and my hope for the world is renewed. A glorious experience!
150 out of 177 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Clarke is adorable and the critics get it wrong
whitbyscallyred3 June 2016
How can so many people get this this movie wrong, especially the critics? The high point of the film is the performance by Emelia Clarke. She is hair-brained, and scatty, completely adorable and wonderful.The camera-work is gorgeous and the soundtrack is second to none.

Lou (Emilia Clarke) gets a job as a carer to a man (William) who is paralyzed more or less from the neck down. A budding friendship/romance develops; and this is 90% a feel good movie.

The criticism of the movie that it depicts a life with profound disability as almost worthless is completely mistaken. The movie depicts William's life as worthwhile and precious. It is William's own judgment that his life cannot go on as it is, and that he would prefer to die.

With regard to this, the movie does tend to downplay the pain and suffering that William experiences. Instead it focuses on the good times and precious moments he spends will Lou. And as already stated, the character of Lou is completely adorable. I am in love.
299 out of 370 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Adorable!
Mamabird674 June 2016
The movie really was adorable! I knew exactly what to expect since I read the book, but I loved the adaptation.

What helps the movie most is that the novelist, Jojo Moyees, wrote her own screenplay. She did a great job transitioning the story from paper to screen. Little things that were left out of the novel weren't really needed to move the story along.

Both Emilia Clarke and Sam Clafin were excellent. Her facial expressions were amazing and her insane eyebrows deserve some type of award all on their own.

I thoroughly enjoyed the soundtrack as well.

Don't listen to critics and go see this movie.
164 out of 212 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Claflin and Clarke where to perfect
DarkVulcan2910 June 2016
This film is getting mixed reviews, but I really enjoyed it. A very bittersweet film that will leave you feeling happy and sad at the same time. I never read the book that which this film is based on. But sometimes movies are never has detailed has the books they are based on.

A beautifully well made story, it about Louisa(Emilia Clarke) a 26 year old who finds a job taking care of Will(Sam Claflin) a young billionaire who is permanently confined to wheel chair after an accident two years earlier, the use of his arms and legs are gone. At first Will does not want Louisia there, and she does her best to put up with him. But soon the form quite a friendship, she teaches him to enjoy life again, and he shows her to be adventurous in life. But the question is will this last?

I like the chemistry between Claflin and Clarke, at no point it feels forced. I really bought the affection they feel for one another. At times Clarkes performance feels overly cartoonish, but still good in most of it. Claflin is believable, and the question is how would you feel if you where in his shoes. I don't care what the critics say, this was a perfectly well made bittersweet film.
144 out of 194 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A sweet love story for those who wants to get lost in the moment.
aimee-837-2437574 June 2016
I admit that I have read the book and so when the movie came out, I just HAD to go see it. So I drag my poor husband and we went to watch a late show that was relatively full. I didn't tell him anything about the movie and I watched him watching it. He actually really enjoyed it. The movie was lovely. The movie itself was beautiful. The scenery was set somewhere is rural England. There are green pastures, a castle and beautiful stone walkways.

We first meet Lou, a beautiful,charming, bubbly girly girl who is a strong character but maybe a little too comfortable with her current life and then we have Will. Dashing Will! Sarcastic, funny, a little mean at first. They are world apart but through fate ( and Will disabilities) they met and slowly realize what one possessed, the other needs. Even if they never really knew it.

As the movie progress, they falls for each other and we all fall for them. I loved Emily as Lou and Sam as Will. They played their roles perfectly and the chemistry between then was undeniable. I think everyone should go and watch this movie if you love romantic comedy. It is hilarious at times and yet sweet. I assure you that you'll feel every emotion out there with this movie. It's so beautiful.

Go watch it and judge yourself. For me, this is an amazingly beautiful love story.
119 out of 163 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Tear-Jerking "Me Before You": Reminding Ourselves of Living Boldly!
emixam-289612 June 2016
Thea Sharrock's film adaptation of Jojo Moyes's "Me Before You" is one of those hidden gems, which we should all watch rather early than later.

First, the talented British cast is impressive. Emilia Clarke, Sam Claflin, Janet McTeer, Charles Dance, Matthew Lewis, just to name a few, beautifully create an emotional journey, which is more than just a heart-breaking love story. Challenging our life perspectives every step of the way, these actors invite us to live boldly and seize the opportunities passing by.

Louisa Clarke (Emilia Clarke), a naive 26-year old English woman, lives in a peaceful village where nothing seems to be happening. Supporting her whole family financially, Lou has a dull life working hard without ever leaving our native city. When she loses her job at Buttered Bun Cafe, her world is turned upside down. Desperately looking for a new job, she goes to the local job center and is proposed to work for a despicable 30ish-year old quadriplegic man called Will Traynor. His desire not to get help makes him look miserable and frustrated. However, with time, Lou pierces his shell and unveils Will's true colors. She starts showing him how great his life could be. But one revelation changes their relationship forever.

Best known for his roles as Finnick Odair in "The Hunger Games" series, Sam Claflin's portrayal of Will is exquisite. It is almost inconceivable to imagine him not being a part of this movie. The physical and psychological challenge of playing a quadriplegic man, who needs to feel like a man again, elevates the English-born actor to Hollywood's acting A-list. In "Me Before You", Claflin convinces us that words are way more impactful than being good looking. Through his presence on the screen, Claflin inhabits one of the most powerful quotes of Jojo Moyes's original story, "You only get one life. It is actually your duty to live it as fully as possible".

Playing opposite Claflin, Emilia Clarke ("Game of Thrones") shines through with her naivety and authentic, clumsy attitude on the screen. Her unique facial expression, while crying and laughing, makes us fall even more for the quirky, innocent Lou. No one could have ever filled the role better than the Mother of Dragons herself. Emilia Clarke is LOU CLARKE! From her crazy outfits in the movie to her charming personality, Clarke has it all. "Me Before You" will be the catalyst in her career, so let's be ready to see some more of this bumble bee.

On a final note, we should be grateful to Jojo Moyes for questioning us on the reality of assisted suicide and physical disabilities.There are not lots of writers who have been able to make such a statement and shake the status quo when it comes to life and death, but Moyes did it beautifully.

The only thing left to say is: GO WATCH this movie! You will not regret it! It will make laugh, cry, but most importantly push you to embrace life fully!

P.S. Bring with you some tissues! You might need them!
161 out of 228 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I don't like sappy movies, but I really liked this sappy movie. Clarke wins again.
dewittambassador2 July 2016
Emelia Clarke's work on Game of Thrones is the only reason I watched this movie in the first place. She is occasionally transcendent in that role, where she must keep her eyebrows restrained, and I wanted to see what would happen if her amazingly mobile brows were set free ... free as her dragons.

There are a lot of solid things about this movie. The story (of a young woman who cares for a quadriplegic young man) is strong, the direction and cinematography good though not exceptional, the screen writing also good-not-exceptional, the supporting cast (especially Janet McTeer and Charles Dance)and leading man (Sam C.) quite good, and the emotional notes it hits, though all predictable and often a bit overwrought (cue swelling, heartwarming music...), ring true enough for an unabashed romance.

So, not really my type of movie. But I am happy to say that I was (almost) completely taken by Clarke's performance. Her character here is nothing like her GoT role, but is in many ways an equally fantasy-based role (but with clumsy shyness and striped leggings instead of fireproof skin and dragons) -- and Clarke manages to pull this character out of romantic fantasy into believability as effectively as she brings to life her role as Mother of Dragons. She has the combination of charisma, physical beauty, character-acting chops, and inner luminosity to pull a fairly nice, 7-of-10 heartwarmer up to a 9-of-10 charmer.
69 out of 95 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thoroughly enjoyed the movie
mmbudny5 September 2016
All movies can be scrutinized for faults, as some reviewers have done, but if the movie makes a mark, then those faults really don't matter, do they? I found the "angry" Will Traynor not completely believable, not like the anti-social Jack Nicholson in As Good As It Gets, but Sam Clafin did well with his transformation. Emilia Clarke was absolutely wonderful and I will be on the lookout for other roles she has taken and will undertake in the future. Kudos also to the characters who played Will's parents, Janet McTeer and Charles Dance. Two thumbs up for the movie. Am seriously considering whether the movie ought to bump another movie off my favorite 50 relationship movie list.
25 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It was a pretty cute
jbam_461 June 2016
Felt very derivative of Intouchables I did however really enjoy the romance that was in this film.

Emilia Clark has the most expressive face I have ever seen on camera.

Watch her eyebrows! That's all I have to say. You could almost watch this entire movie just staring at her eyebrows… I had a hard time not doing that.

I really enjoyed her character. She is a silly, eccentric, perpetually happy girl. With a pretty eclectic sense of style.

Emilia Clarke was perfectly cast for this role.

She ventures far from her intense power house character the Mother of Dragons from Game of Thrones.

At times it was hard to tell if Emilia Clarke the actress is just extremely expressive with her face, or if it was something she was doing for the role… which I suppose speaks to how well she did.

Because I'm thinking she was exaggerating it, therefore she played the part marvellously.

The male lead is Sam Claflin, who you will more than likely recognize but not be able to place. His largest role as of late is the water proficient fighter from the Hunger Games.

I also feel he played the part very well. No complaints, He has a great smile, or smirk, that he does through out, which allows us to empathize with him a little more when he seeming unlikable.

There are a lot of light moments, actually the whole movie has a very light tone to it… it's a serious topic, but with Clarke's character it's hard for anything to be too serious or solemn. There are those sombre moments, which is, I'm sure, why I was given a tissue box at the advance screening.

There were only a few editing aspects I didn't enjoy. There were far too many cuts in certain scenes… Emilia walking up to the mansion for the first time and her conversation on the bench with her boyfriend. They were distracting. This was sprinkled throughout the film to greater or lesser degrees.

I think the film looked pretty, great locations. And a wonderful set, really. The house Claflin's character lives in looks very nice. I loved all the walls that opened when pushed on. Very modern, and expensive I'm sure.

There is a little treat for any Harry Potter fans! Neville Longbottom, all grown up and looking fit, he plays the part of Emilia Clarke's boyfriend. I hope to see him in more roles, maybe even a lead one day.

As for family friendliness, this movie is a G, it is good to go. In the opening scene Claflin is presumably being intimate with his girlfriend, they are obviously naked, but nothing is shown, they are under sheets.

There is no cursing or obscenities in this movie worth mentioning.
73 out of 111 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing
Doasnow953 July 2016
I loved this movie. It stayed very true to the book and I love the book. I think Emilia Clarke was born to play her. I feel like she was just playing herself cause she has a personality like that in real life. It was pure joy to watch her play Lou. The expressions she makes, the way she talks and most of all, her amazing clothes! I loved every single outfit she wore. This film made me laugh and it made me very emotional, just like the book. I think Sam Claflin was also born to play Will. They had an amazing chemistry throughout the entire film and the rest of the cast is also spot on. There are of course some parts from the book that were left out but nonetheless, this film was still amazing. I also want to point out that the soundtrack of the movie is amazing as well.
60 out of 91 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A wonderful story
boodt-6275810 June 2016
I was expecting the usual American love story, but that's not what this is. I have neither seen nor heard of these actors prior to seeing this film. That said, I usually don't go to see films like this.

What a wonderful movie! The acting was so well done. My heart broke where it needed to break, and it laughed where it needed to laugh.

For those who need help working on their empathy, or the opening of the mind, this is a very good movie to see!

It's very thought provoking and I would even suggest to professors (philosophy,english,cultural perspectives in science, sociology) that they have their students write a paper on this. There are so many issues involved here. Great for discussion!
39 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A sad but meaningful story!
amedineabd5 September 2016
One of the best Romantic movies lately.. I am very taken with Emilia Clark's performance and smile. She was amazing and breathtaking. The music is well chosen and the acting is good and there were some very touching moments that will make the audience who didn't watch yet cry. Lou is a funny young woman who wants to live a simple life, who wants to wear clothes and be fashionable in her own way. The paralyzed man is a damaged cause looking for hope. Both these characters are very different, yes they pick things from each other and they put smiles on each others faces. A couple that wouldn't get bored giving and taking to their souls.. Maybe, when it comes to believing in love unconditionally, Faith is hope then. Live the life as it faces you then. In health and sickness. In the sweetest moments and bitterest ones. Just live your life No matter what happens to you. Always get back and fight to survive and be alive. That is what this movie is all about...
22 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Live Boldly
ThomasDrufke4 June 2016
I wouldn't consider myself the target audience for these romantic dramas. In fact, I'm usually turned off by the overabundance of forced clichés and unnecessary plot devices. While Me Before You definitely falls victim to some of those unfortunate young adult tropes, there's far more charm than harm here.

The film stars Emilia Clarke (Lou) and Sam Claflin (Will) from Game of Thrones and The Hunger Games respectively. I've enjoyed both of their works in the past and they both make the most of the script that was given to them. Their budding charisma on screen is by far the highlight of the film. It's nice to see Clarke take on a lighter and more exuberant role than she has played in the past as it mirrors her off-screen personality as well.

Clarke's likability as Lou is put a test as she has to deal with the stern and far less cheerful, Will, who became paralyzed after a motorcycle accident. If you didn't guess it already, yes they do grow to live with each other's quirks and inconveniences and maybe even share some affection for each other. It's pretty much the basis for all of these romantic novels adapted for film, but if you're film has enough likable qualities to it, the overused plot points and clichés can be forgiven.

The main qualm for these characters are Will's questionable wishes about his future living as a quadriplegic and Lou's inability to fulfill her potential and aspirations due to her commitment as the breadwinner for her family. The way Lou effortlessly deals with these issues is what makes her so likable. It's also why you root for her and Will to become romantically involved as the film gives us compelling enough reasons to desire it. With that said, I was pleasantly surprised with how the romance is depicted. Everything is earned and not forced.

I think my only real complaints with the film involve its tendency to veer into clichéd territory. I'm not a fan of when romantic films play popular songs that tell you exactly how to feel as an audience member. Or when a certain character is written specifically to give us someone to dislike and is used a plot device more than anything else. On more than one occasion, Me Before You does that. But it's when the film attempts to take an original and realistic spin on the romance that the film really shines. It's because of the ladder that I think Me Before You is definitely worth a look.

+Clarke's undeniable likability

+Charm and chemistry with the Lou and Will dynamic

+Romance is earned not forced

-Popular songs tend to ruin the big moments

-A few clichéd characters and plot devices

7.4/10
44 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
AMAZING
dyamarya27 April 2019
This is one of the best romance movies I have ever seen. I highly recommend it to everyone.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful
milyward7 June 2016
I have already read the book, so I decided to most definitely see the movie. I think that they did very well on a book to movie adaptation, because they didn't change too much from the book. The movie was beautifully made, and fit just what I and others who have read it in my city had pictured for the movie.

The casting was brilliant, as with the portrayal of Louisa and Will. Both characters were charismatic, and enjoyable, and matched the dialogue of the book, which I thought was great.

The movie itself was heartbreaking, hilarious at points, and just and lovable. The story itself is well thought out and great. One of the best things about this, is it is not just your usual love story. The real love doesn't take over the whole plot. It isn't fully made to feel intimate, but just to feel real.

So I say: Go see it. If you are a boy or girl, it doesn't matter. This movie is memorable for everyone.
36 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I love this movie
scooddle31 August 2016
I never thought I'd watch a movie and laugh and cry at the same time. I don't know how the actors were selected but I must say the combination is a miracle. I wish I knew Emilia Clarke (Lou) personality to figure out the gap between the real her and the character she played in this movie. After watching this movie, I became so emotional. I felt love and loved. I watched it alone and wish I did with my girlfriend. Although the ending got me nervous, it was cool. I couldn't think of something better. Big thumbs up for the whole Me Before You crew. You guys did it. I wasn't a big fan of love stories but now, that's where I'm heading.
15 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie is one of the things wrong with the world today.
TheOneThatYouWanted4 July 2016
So you can tell I'm not a fan of this film just by my title and score. The movie itself is okay at best. Emilia Clarke does a well enough job with the role because the character she is playing is pretty much who she is in real life; in other words, this role didn't require Emilia acting much and that is a good thing because people are slowly figuring out that she has a very limited range when it comes to acting. Towards the end of the movie is when her limited acting range becomes apparent thanks to the crying scenes, most of the scenes she does with tearless crying which help to take you out of the movie. Don't get me wrong, her acting isn't bad until the end when she is forced to show another emotion other than bubbly. I should note the director does an excellent job of hiding a good amount of Emilia's emotional scenes by having her hug someone and then showing mostly the other person's face. I can write a whole book on Emilia's overrated acting chops but I'm not here to do that so let me carry on with this review. If it wasn't for the ending, where we finally learn the real message of the film I would have ranked the film about a 6 out of 10. But halfway into the film we learn the quadriplegic character made a deal with his parents that he will end his life after 6 months. During the film we learn this guy is smart and etc, etc. Someone even points out that he could go back to work if he wanted to but this guy is hell bent on killing himself for the simple reason of which happens to be that he misses his old life so he is giving up on this life. And apparently that is a good enough reason to let the man kill himself. Great message to put out there into the world. We recently lost Muhammad Ali. We all know about Muhammad Ali's condition and we all saw the impact he had on the world both before and in spite of his condition. He fought until the bitter end and became more of a legend because of it. This movie encourages people to take the easy way out. Now, I can understand how depression can play a role in all of this but this character is a pretty boy with a sh!t load of money.. and on top of that he found the love of his life and she is more than ready to be with him forever. But his reasoning is that he would only be a burden on her living her life. So yeah, this movie pretty much matches the materialistic and self- absorbed nature of what these modern times have transformed into. Whatever, the movie is a chick flick at best so I don't care. Apparently suicide isn't frowned upon when a quadriplegic is concerned. Moral of the story, you have nothing to contribute to society once you become paralyzed. Maybe this movie was funded by the government as a way of reducing the cost of people with disabilities on healthcare. Euthanasia for the win! Frankly, a disgusting message and an even more disgusting movie.
118 out of 210 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An Awful message in a very cheerful & lovely movie
basem_tawfek9 August 2016
the art of Movies should give people hope, instead; this movie is a hope killer. this movie is saying "live Boldly", unless you are are with disability !! what about real people with real disability who will watch this movie? the movie makers are telling them that it's better to die than to struggle in life !!

We have many incredible examples for people with disability like (for example) stephen hawking, whose disability was even greater than "will", hawking couldn't even speak or move his head. but he he is one of the greatest scientists in the world.

Many moments in the movie are cheerful & touching, specially Lou who is hilarious funny & very innocent; however, the message the movie delivering is terrible.
61 out of 105 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst possible message EVER
cannonball-531-9269921 February 2017
Repeat, spoiler alert. Though, if you're wise, you won't waste your time on this movie.

A summary would be, enter William, a rich, spoiled playboy who has everything he wants and does anything he wants with whomever he wants. Then he has a tragic accident, leaving him paralyzed. He decides that this kind of life isn't worth living, and wants to be killed. He promises his parents 6 months, where enters Lou, the charming, high-spirited woman who in an effort to show him life IS worth living (in which is still an entirely self-centered focused only on making himself happy), she falls in love with him. All seems to be going well, they think he has abandoned thoughts of suicide... but no. He selfishly decides to throw his life away, because he can't have everything his way. And it is wrapped in a cloak of care, and love, and support to people's decisions... but ultimately, it is sending the message, "It doesn't matter who loves you, or how important you can be, or what you can do for others... if YOU don't have EVERYTHING you want and have it YOUR way, just give up." In a day when depression and suicides are at an all-time high, here comes a story that had the potential to be a great encouragement to anyone dealing with depression and suicidal thoughts, but instead encourages people to give up and throw it all away.

Especially when you think of the high percentage of suicides or attempts by teenage girls, and an actor like Sam who is idolized by many, presenting this message, it is appalling that such messages are being presented as "entertainment".
70 out of 122 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Poor Me Before You
ljmedlin8 June 2016
SPOILER WARNING The acting was all outstanding, give them a 10. The story missed, give the writers a zero. Will has every thing going for him, a great job, a fantastic girlfriend and a rich family. His life changes in a fraction of a second. He becomes bitter and reclusive turning away his girlfriend until she leaves him for his best friend. Will is a wimp of unbelievable proportions. "Oh poor me, I'm rich, have two living and supportive parents, a job to return to and a girlfriend (Louisa) as hot as they come, who loves me unconditionally. I'm not the man I once was. My only option is to kill myself." Oh, give me a break. Who is the same person they use to be? This movie had an opportunity to have Will realize what he had to offer his family, friends and Louisa. Where was the creative people and writer on this one. I will close with one word, Stephen Hawking.
67 out of 117 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sweet combination of story line, actor,actress,places and soundtrack!
yustinehendrika2 July 2016
This is a sweet combination of all factors in the movie; the actors, the actresses, the choices of the places, the story plot, even the soundtrack. I love every single of it. Expect to feel warm and heartbroken at the same time in the movie. It's been says after watching it, I still cant stop thinking about this movie. You'd better watch it with someone who could provide a shoulder to cry on for you... :)) My favorite (which seems to be everyone's favorite as well) is during the wedding ceremony where Will seemed so alive again. My most heart-breaking scene is when Will said "will you be here?" on the last scene. That is when I burst into tears a lot. like A lot.
19 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hokey, manipulative and overdone
hdavis-295 June 2016
Don't get me wrong. I like a weepy, romantic chick-flick as much as the next guy. But this one is so manipulative and over-the-top that I felt myself getting hostile about a third the way through. It took self-control not to make rude comments at the screen.

Part of the problem is Emilia Clarke. He character is modeled after the Brigit Jones style of self-consciously, klutzy, heart on her sleeve heroine that holds appeal to many viewers. Clarke's acting is filled with so many facial tics it almost becomes unintentionally comic. If you shaved Ms. Clarke's eyebrows, she'd convey no emotional range. But with them, she'd be a natural silent movie actress. Her eyebrows literally stole every scene they were in.

The music, especially the segments used between scenes goes beyond intrusive. It is downright offensive. If a character is about to die and is falling in love, do we really need an overwrought vocalist singing "Oh poor me, I'm falling in love, yet I'm about to die." This is like a Greek chorus with one eye on the AM playlist. I'm exaggerating here, but the point is real. We don't need treacly vocal music to mimic what we've just seen. Most of us got it the first time. You need a break between scenes? Instrumental segues would work just fine, thank you.

I've given this a "2" out of 10. In every way this big budget film deserves a rock bottom "1" for its manipulative and overdone approach. I've given it the extra point for the lovely location shooting. At least the castles don't have eyebrows.
85 out of 155 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sets back perceptions of disability by decades
paulgwilliams16 June 2016
This film, and presumably the book on which it is based, commits a triple whammy. First, it portrays disabled people as miserable. Second it perpetuates the idea that they need rescuing by a vivacious non- disabled youngster. Third it presents disabled people as still so miserable, despite being 'rescued', that they have to go to Switzerland to be euthanased. Prince Harry must be tearing his hair out after all his efforts with the Invicta Games to portray disabled people positively. The film is nothing more than propaganda for the really dangerous Swiss death machine Dignitas. It is ghastly and should be banned.
48 out of 84 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A movie about 2 bad people that have a Fling.
anonamix21 August 2016
I enjoy a good romantic comedy or 'chick flick' that tells a tale of complicated people falling in love in even more complicated circumstances... when those people are actually decent people. That is not the case here. Lou is in a relationship with Patrick, a seemingly nice and decent guy. He's active, fun, appropriately funny, ambitious, sweet, and he truly cares for her. They've been together 7 years! Then she meets Will. Will is a complete asshole. No really... there is not 1 redeeming quality about him as a person. He's dull... he speaks in a completely monotone voice the entire movie... he's not funny, not even a little bit... he's insulting... he's selfish... he's suicidal... he does nothing to even attempt to make anyone elses life around him better. The only thing that this man has going for him is that he is RICH AND HANDSOME. He even admits that he would want nothing to do with her if he was still able to walk, and this doesn't phase her one bit. We're supposed to give him a pass on all of those things just because he's in a wheelchair? No... sorry... just no. She falls for this guy and you could say "oh, but he was sweet and he gave her compliments" but NO. She clearly falls for him well before that. Everything she falls for is superficial. She loves the adventure... she loves the money... she loves the feeling that she gets from taking care of him as it makes her feel needed. There is nothing about him as a person that she falls for! So she throws away 7 years with a great guy for a fling with a rich and handsome asshole. WOW! And this was the movie that somebody decided to make. WOW!!! This woman deserves to end up alone and the only redeeming quality about this movie is that she is alone in the end and I can at least imagine that this fling that she threw away everything for will torture her for the rest of her life as she tries to find another rich and handsome man that can fill Will's shoes, which in reality she never will. This movie is a tragedy, not a love story.
60 out of 108 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Food for your Soul
rohanthomas198814 August 2016
A film is a work of art. An author's expression, the director's creativity, the performer's charisma and the captivating music can embrace a person and touch some of those primal feelings, hidden deep within vaults in our heart.

At its base is a very simple story requiring some astounding performances to make it come to life. The film focuses on the feelings of innocence, simplicity, commitment, loyalty and love. How true are you with the people around you? Will you stick around at a trying time of another's life?

The film makes you dwell on the unpredictability of life. In a moment, everything can change and maybe in a way which is not possible for us to bear.

A truly magnificent piece of cinema.
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.