Sharp Objects (TV Mini-Series 2018) Poster

(2018)

Diseased mother-daughter relationship...
ahmetkozan4 January 2019
Camille, who was drunk almost every hour of the day from the moment she arrived in town, tries to repress the traumas she has experienced but she is not very successful in that regard. We understand with instant flashback scenes how emotions that Camille suppressed suddenly surfaced and she can't cope with her past. The town's suc-cessful drowning atmosphere, combined with masterful work of fiction and image management and with the convincing performance of Amy Adams, turns the series into a complete mood, so to speak. With the hypnotizing music that plays in the background while watching to the series we seem to be drunk in the Wind Gap with Camille. There are great soundtracks from Led Zeppelin to The Doors, from Bob Dylan to Johnny Cash.

The scene transitions between past memories and the present are very successful. It's like the scenes are intertwined. You're not leaving the general story of the series as you watch the past memories scenes. It's very well tuned. We see that the series doesn't go on a straight timeline. The scene at the beginning of the episodes is actually the final scene. Although not in each episode, some episodes have these time shifts.

In the background of the series, the words shown for 3-4 seconds may give hints about the series. At least when you watch it carefully, it makes you think. Who knows, maybe a subliminal message. You're unlikely to guess who the killer is. Because in each section you focus on different people. Ideas may change as new details emerge. So it's a little hard to guess. Something I like about this series. Because an unpredictable series is more attractive to me.

I found the acting very good. I think Amy Adams deserves the Golden Globe award with this performance. She conveys her character's mood very well to the audience. You feel deeply the feelings of Camille. Amy Adams and Patricia Clarkson are really good. I found the tension between them very good. Unfortunately, it is not possible to escape from the parents we are attached to. Camille also lives this situation deeply. I guess one of the most complicated things in life is the child-parent relationship. Eliza Scanlen who plays the character Amma is very successful. Like two separate characters in the morning and night. It's like there's someone else in Amma when it's night. Of course it is necessary to open a separate parentheses to Sophia Lillis. She performed very well.

Although the first episode starts with a slow pace, the next episodes are moving well. And it reflects thriller very well. The entire town, including the police, seems to be looking for the killer from a single perspective. It's like the killer is the whole town. I love watching horror movies but I can't say I'm scared most of the time. But in this series, there were a lot of scenes that creeped and disturbed me.

In the series the mystery of the killer is preserved until the last moment, but in the final, the series shoots the audience in the heart with a single sentences. The series manages to leave a shocking effect on viewers with its final. Sharp Objects gave the message that it wanted to give in eight episodes. I can recommend it for those who love the psychological thriller and killer themed. 9/10
117 out of 126 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Recommend 100%
filomena_giordano12 August 2018
Is it slow? Yes, it is! But it's also beautifully made. The characters are amazing, the acting is even better and the story is catchy. It's a mystery-drama series...it supposed to be slow, to give you time to grow with the characters, to understand every detail. It's not advertised as being the avengers...it's not an action movie...
157 out of 225 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent
leequattrucci28 August 2018
The reviews that rate this series poorly, (or comment on how slow it is) likely thought this was going to be a murder mystery. It is about murder, but the "who-dun-it" is secondary. This is a character study in damaged human beings, how they got to that point, and the different ways it manifests in their lives. It is dark and unflinching in some places, and it is fascinating. It is also incredibly well acted. The "slow burn" pace is a dramatic marinade, allowing us to really soak in the character and absorb the experience. It makes the finale that much more impactful, and what a twisty finale it was! If you like character driven stories wrapped in a murder mystery, this will not disappoint.
116 out of 164 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The ending shook me to my core
laurenelizabethberry4 September 2018
Absolutely amazing mini series. There were times that I was confused by quick cuts to flashbacks and flashes of gruesome scenes and wondered if they'd ever make sense, but all the while I knew they would come together in the end. This was absolutely true. By the end of the series, all these loose ends were neatly tied into a present with a bow on top, and then the very last scene of the finale blew my mind. 100% would recommend watching!
98 out of 144 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hauntingly beautiful
rhythmoriented9 July 2018
Haunting first episode of a show that had me and my wife entranced for the full hour. The editing, cinematography (particularly the framing), mixture of original score and Led Zep songs, casting and performances were all 10/10. It's interesting that Amy Adams, the best working actress without an Oscar, might win an Emmy first if the rest of the series is any indication.
192 out of 299 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best series of 2018
mahnaz-hadizadeh14 August 2018
This series has the nerve of season 1 of True Detective, the cinematography of Inception, the clipping of the Blade Runner, the grit of The Wire and the family dysfunction of Six Feet Under. It's all the good things of cinematography in one series. Great acting, suspense in every episode and a loss for it only being a miniseries.
98 out of 153 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amy Adams Shows Once Again Why She's The Best Actress in Hollywood
tomas-842-81725823 July 2018
If you've seen any of Adam's earlier works, this one will shock you. Her character is not charming, glowing, sweet and innocent. Her Camille is broken, confused, and in deep pain.

She has to return to her home town to cover a murder for her newspaper. In doing so, she must confront her own past, which is full of abuse, neglect, addiction, murder....

Camille has never properly confronted her past. She has drowned it through work, alcohol, and sexual obsession. Adam's performance is so nuanced, so perfect. She conveys with a glance what most actors cannot with a soliloquy.

The production is spot-on - especially the editing. Camille's past and present collide in quite breathtaking turns - moments sometimes so brief as to seem fleeting.

You'll want to give this multiple viewings... it will take you time to decipher the story, but you will love every minute of it.
111 out of 179 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An Open Letter to Filmmakers
kewells28 August 2018
Dear Filmmakers:

I've noticed a trend in television shows lately: The stories are being dragged out. I'll get to the end of episode 3 or 4 and start to feel frustrated because nothing much has happened since the 1st episode. I'll check the episode list and groan that a good story is being stretched across 8-10 episodes. However I'm hooked, I need to know what happens, so I continue to watch. But I respectfully request that they be told more concisely. My family has developed a game of sorts to each give our opinion as to how many episodes the story could have actually been told in and inevitably, it is at least half. Sharp Objects is one of these shows that could have been told in half the episodes. Easily. The acting was superb, the story interesting, but the pace was slower than a Sunday afternoon.

These are good shows, i.e., Goliath (2nd season), The Sinner, The OA, Mindhunter, Lost in Space, and now Sharp Objects, just to name a few. They are worth watching, but I find them frustrating for plot points to be piecemealed out over so many hours. I'm not asking the stories be told like the fast-talking legal disclaimers at the end of an AM radio ad, but just be tightened up a bit.

Take the first season of Stranger Things, for instance. It was like an 8 hour movie where each episode advanced the story line at a very satisfying pace. I couldn't stop watching and gobbled it all up in one day. (I LOVE when all the episodes drop at once!) The first and second season of Bosch were like this as well. Bingeing at its best.

Now I know this is my opinion and others will disagree with me, but it is a trend I have noticed over the past couple of years and maybe there are others out there who have noticed it too. This is my little two cents worth.

I find it strange to ask for less of a good thing, but that's what I'm asking. I want to watch shows that make me put down my laptop and phone, to make me stop playing games or surf the internet while the show is on. I wanna have to pause to discuss what just happened and look forward to watching more. Instead, my reaction to last night's Sharp Objects was "yay, it's the last episode and we can finally get some answers". The paint has finally dried!

I sound ungrateful, I know. This show and the others I mentioned are good TV. I thank you for the excellent programming. I just want it to be a little less....stretched.

Thank you.
131 out of 217 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrified, stunned and brutal.
Azanspy31 August 2018
A hats off to Jean Marce Vallee. This is a masterpiece. I still didn't get over from the finale. Especially from the post credits scenes. This is far better than the brilliant Big Little Lies by the same director, which was really good too. We can't really decide who did their roles best. Amy Adams or Patricia Clarkson or Eliza Scanlen. They were absolutely stunning. A must watch for all.
57 out of 90 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Blown Away. Masterpiece.
chuckster8328 January 2019
Absolutely brilliant. If your looking for a happy story, look somewhere else. Very dark, very depressing, if you have it in you to watch, you get a masterfully spun story of true pain, true guilt and loss. Also a very good depiction of mental health. With a final act that is JAW dropping. I've never written a review on here, but this is a masterpiece.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Masterful
BobNoOneHundred9 July 2018
Masterful in every single frame. If you liked True Detective this might appeal to you as well. If you are looking for something to restore your faith in humanity you might want to watch something else.
122 out of 207 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Spoilers
lil-3618621 August 2018
The love scene between John K and Camille should be the clincher for award season! Poignant, tender, and shows two humans connecting on a primal basis sharing and understanding each other's pain

Camille writes her pain on her body then hides it from everyone but John can see thru her guards since he has the same pain. This allows them to connect in a way she never could with Detective.

Powerful scene that deserves recognition!
47 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mindblowingly good
dickbootmediadesign14 June 2019
This is absolutely fantastic. What a spectaculair ending! Well done! And Amy Adams is amazing, she is so good in this. I REALLY hope there will be a second season.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amy Adam's crushes it
miriamllue17 April 2019
It is raw and real in every sense. The script is finely performed by all the ensemble, and never insults the intelligence of the viewer. It always ends with me wanting to see more. I love everything about it.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
afinuc10 July 2018
I love Gillian Flynn because she writes about real women. Fully fleshed out, gritty, strong, good bad and ugly, real women. I love Amy Adams and Patricia Clarkson because they convey that beautifully. I was really looking forward to the start of this miniseries because I so loved the book, and so far I am not disappointed. The cinematography and score are fantastic, and the acting is superb. It is a slow burn, as it should be, and it is in equal measure tense, taught, and hauntingly beautiful. I cannot wait to watch the rest of this story unfold.
99 out of 174 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wow
funny10001 September 2018
Wow, never felt so many awful feelings after seeing such an amazing show. Wow
41 out of 69 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Utterly hooked by episode 5
korereviews9 July 2018
Great atmosphere and soundtrack, very similar in tone and style to Big Little Lies - also by director Jean-Marc Vallée. Amy Adams brings class and subtlety to what is not an especially original storyline (Camille, a journalist haunted by ghosts of her past returns to home town to solve murder). But excellence of execution makes this shine. Patricia Clarkson's portrayal of Camille's narcissistic, self-absorbed mother is equally effective: you'll find yourself wanting to choke her in every episode. Also so refreshing to see women's lives and stories portrayed in a non-exploitative way. Camille's struggle with alcoholism and self-harm is depicted with unblinking realism and is something many women can unfortunately relate to. Looking forward to the rest of this series, which is shaping up to be as good as season 1 of True Detective.
90 out of 170 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wow...
mayabjoerner7 January 2019
Wow... just wow... I'm blown away by this series and the performances by all the amazing actors and actresses! Mindblown and really amazing, disgusting and disturbing story
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Suspense until the very end
latifavereecken30 September 2018
First of all I do not agree with Some reviews saying that the pace was too slow. It is slow Yes but not for one second was this show boring. The slow pace sucks you into the story. I absolutely loved watching this and it feels hard to say goodbye to the characters now that its done.
26 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Slow, boring, tedious and shaky camera all the way.
hmkunzmann9 July 2018
The acting is best thing about this. The story is very slow and boring. Constant flashbacks with no context are hard to interpret, make no sense. The camera is constantly shaking which gets more and more noticeable as the episode progresses. At the time of writing this has an 8.8 score, which simply cannot be true. I gave it a try but I definitely will not waste any more time on this.
190 out of 413 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Can't take it anymore.
clamfu-610-10892810 August 2018
Watched the first episode with hope. I like a slow burner with a plot build up and twist but I had to take a week off at episode three. Came back and persevered, but now smack in the middle of episode 5, I am bailing, regretting my time lost. Current over 8 rating is a joke. All four and a half episodes could have fit into one hour with time to spare. The atmosphere is charged, Amy's depression is palpable, the names flying around are lamentable and the story will just not lift off. Why? A million words and moments trying to re-mire you in the angst, neurosis and fatality over and over so much so that you end up not caring who is doing the murdering or what triggers lay in her past.
162 out of 352 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dull, depressing, pretentious
ThatDoesntMatter13 July 2018
The lead character is messed up, her family is messed up, the town seems a bit messed up. Not the kind of messed-up you want to delve into, or even see if there is a solution or development of any kind. It is simply and only depressing and boring.

The lady is damaged, drinking, cutting herself, smart I guess, rude - snappy comments / sarcastic remarks do not alone an interesting character make, especially when drunk and not caring for anything. If she doesn't care why should I? So it seems on top of her sister dying there was a girlfriend that killed herself? (just my take of the flashback in St. Louis and the second, broken cellphone) For some inexplicable reason she stays in her childhood home and its hostile, dysfunctional, crazy, unhealthy atmosphere. Surely her newspaper can afford a motel room? Then she sneaks out and falls asleep drunk in her car... yawn Her teenage half-sister is not a real teenager, I hate when they do this, yeah yeah she outsmarts the crazy mother and is all cool and snappy.... Didn't like her, not interested in her. The mother has some real aspects in her nastiness, but the dress and high heels just make her look all crazy, cartoonish, it takes away from the character. The only sane people so far are her boss and the detective. The pictures are nice, the acting is okay with what they have to work with. But it is Dull, she is depressed, we follow her everywhere, and it is nowhere, because she would rather be dead. Great job if that was the aim.

Too much not explained, gritty surroundings that want to show gritty realism but for me the show just brought across the TRY of doing a kind of True Detective with a very broken female lead. Would have been more interesting with a male (not to slag Amy, I like Amy), it reeked a bit of stereotype, despite the blues music, and the smoking, and all that massive drinking.... Or maybe because of it.

Depressing, disappointing, dysfunctional in a repulsive way. Not recommended.
173 out of 383 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wake me up when it's over
jaimemedina-3628816 July 2018
Masterful? Hardly. Authentic? Yes but not in a good way. Suspenseful? Only if you're intrigued by paint drying. How do you manage suck all the tension and suspense out of a good premise? By trying to fit a two hour movie into a series.
137 out of 301 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dark, disturbing small town dysfunction
carleighscriven30 August 2018
Great series. Some episode seemed drawn out but it allowed more in-depth views of The characters. I'm so happy that they didn't jam it all into a movie. Must watch!
26 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wait for it.....
sunllightvids27 August 2018
Sharp Objects doesn't really cut you until the very last shot but theres are plenty of littles pinpricks throughout. You have all the answers you just don't know how to put them together.

Quick Descript: Amy Adams gets sent to her home town by her editor to report on a murder and missing persons case of two teenage girls. The case turns very personal for her very quickly as we learn more about her life and story parallel to the details of the case she is investigating.

Be aware that this really is a slow burn style show with 8 one hour episodes, so if you are expecting Mad Max: Missouri then this series probably isn't for you.

An excellent cast headed by Amy Adams with a star making performance from Eliza Scanlen (Amma Crellin), the show is a multi-murder mystery mixed with some true crime ellements and an important message about mental illness.

The whole thing is based off an excellent Novel by author Gillian Flynn that I highly recommend you read (its only 250 pages) and the show stays very true to the book, almost too true which brings up my one problem with Sharp Objects; though I think it pays off in the end, the show can be tedious at times to get through. I wouldn't go so far as to call it downright boring, but i'd be lying if i told you that i wasn't checking my watch during a few episodes.

I would REALLY recommend you watch the show through twice, because once you get to the end and have all the answers, watching it again you can put all the little pieces together. All the little things you missed or didn't understand make it almost a better watch the second time around. I will keep this spoiler free but the violent puzzles that Amy Adam's character Camille and her sister Amma both try to complete throughout the show will defiantly make you go "ohhhhhhhh". You might not even realize it until you've watched it several times, its really some very clever writing.

SO if you need a good show to watch and you don't get bored easily give this excellent one a watch, HBO kills it as per usual.
25 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.