The Originals (TV Series 2013–2018) Poster

(2013–2018)

TVD spin-off show is better than the main show
Lee-Richardson199512 October 2013
This show is miles better than The Vampire Diaries in my opinion. The show has a brilliant cast, characters, great story and good location. I like the way they have made this show darker than TVD and they haven't kept that 'coming of age' type of show. The originals also gives explanations and goes into some detail about the characters backgrounds and helps you understand the story between the Originals and Marcel. Also, the first couple of episodes have made me wanting more without a doubt. No disrespect to TVD, i like that show, I just think that the way this show focus' on the Original family and the story which they have created makes this show a better one than The Vampire Diaries. Definitely worth the watch.
419 out of 456 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
ENDING OF THE ORIGINALS
enochkayiira4 May 2018
Why is the series ending on season 5. This is the best vampire show I have ever watched. The cast, literal alignment in scripts of the cast, the storyline are all so eye-catching and addictive. I for one am bitterly hurt that my favourite series is coming to an end.
212 out of 230 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Super awesome TV series!!!!!
prafulkrsingh215 October 2013
This series has gone far too good beyond its expectations in just two- three episodes, the way its story has picked up speed and the environment they are creating is awesome. Klaus' character as usual is classic and its fun to watch him argue with his brother Elijah and sister Rebekah. Talking about The Vampire Diaries, that show is different in its own way, but there is no way TVD should be compared to The Originals as its story has completely moved in another direction. The acting of all characters is awesome and story is mind-blowing. The flashback story they are gonna show seems to be quite fun as it is related to original vampires. Even in The Vampire Diaries I was a bit biased towards original vampires and waited for their part to come (not only me, happened with many people). So all in all its good they separated out original vampires' story from TVD.
199 out of 231 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Will forever be my favorite show
Moviesnob41123 January 2019
I truly cant describe thoroughly enough how much I love this show. This to me is the show of shows. The vampire diaries is a close second but for the older fans this show is the one. So many memorable characters, so many favorites. Makes me cry to think it's over.
46 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This show is amazing. It gets better and better.
monique_isip30 October 2013
I have been a TVD fan since day 1. However,watching The Original's first episode has made me doubt whether it would be good or not as I thought the story would just rely on it's mother show TVD. However, watching a few more episodes, it is getting better and better and it has actually put me off watching TVD as TVD has got nothing on this show. I have just realized that I have been watching TVD because of the amazing "Originals". The main purpose of 'The Originals' is to show viewers that it is based on family and that is the most important thing. Unlike TVD that is based on sickening stupid never ending romance between the Salvatore brothers, Silus, Petrova Doppelgangers, Elena etc. I'm so fed up of it. Hence why I advice you to give TO a shot guys, this show is amazing.
95 out of 114 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
AMAZING show!
blueeyedgirl11715 October 2013
I am a HUGE Vampire Diaries fan! I wasn't ever really all that interested in the original family when they showed it on Vampire Diaries, nor did I care about them at all.. I found them all to be good actors/actress' but the lot wasn't that interesting... HOLY CRAP! This show is very surprising pleasantly good! Its so interesting and I really like it! Congrats to the creators for making another amazing show and the acting is great!!! The story line is so interesting I cannot wait for the next episode I find myself loving every episode... Julie created another masterpiece. Love the Originals and am so happy to see it succeed along with another new season of Vampire Diaries. So good!
124 out of 155 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
i love it !!
jenna_fukin_b7 November 2013
I wasn't expecting a vampire diaries spin of to be so good in fact I was kinda upset that they took Klaus away from Caroline ! but my god this show has took over TVD completely I find myself more excited to see what happens I feel like the originals is a grown up version of TVD and I've grew up with it sorta say I love the plot and the twists the drama I hope you give this show a chance because it really does deserve it Klaus was mostly bad in TVD and i think he grew on us all he was such a dominant character he deserved his own show not to mention Elijah his brother as the nice one but will do anything for his family no matter how much they hurt him ( Klaus mostly daggers him and puts him in a box quite allot ) please please if you love TVD you will love this show :) watch it !!
68 out of 87 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of THE BEST Vampire shows!
tamster7427 November 2013
I am SO addicted to this show! I never want it to end! The acting is brilliant...Klaus ROCKS! It keeps me wanting more....I knew I loved vampires for a reason ;) I lost interest in Vampire Diaries very quickly because the story lines were weak as well as the acting....too "teenager" 'ish....this series is more captivating and not so immature. Klaus's character is brilliant, scheming, evil, yet caring...you hate to love him/love to hate him! I'm also a fan of True Blood but...there is something about The Originals that has me hooked! :) It is also "believable" with the siblings being the original vampires. Each of them are unique in character. Who knows...maybe they used their "mind compulsion" on me.... and it worked! I highly recommend watching this series; you won't be disappointed! <3
80 out of 104 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Could have been on longer
jlcarpenter796 May 2018
The only disappointment I have is the cancellation of the show. There are so many ways it could have gone. I enjoyed this show more than the Vampire diaries.
32 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More mature than VD
maloyutu18 October 2013
First three episodes are quite good. Story is fast and balanced. Cahracters are nice also and they have some nice back stories. I only hope that they are keep going strong like in these first few episodes. People who watched VD will still watch VD but its popularity will drop due to The Originals. This is what Ian Somerhalder said about The Originals:"Now, they're going to be taking these characters that mean so much to our show. I'm insanely happy for everyone, but I'm not thrilled. Not that I mind sharing, I just don't want to lose all these amazing actors on our show. Who are the other people who are gonna be coming on the show? Are they gonna be good? Because it's The CW, and everyone has to be pretty, and there aren't a lot of pretty people that can act well." For now I see few new actors in The Originals that do better job than him.
69 out of 93 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A good show for a mature audience without the high school drama
Jydn18 January 2015
When I first watched this show I had hoped it was not in anyway shape or form like Vampire Diaries, which wasn't for me. I wasn't disappointed, It's definitely a show for a more mature audience without the high school drama and typical high school valley girl or boy band attitudes or music. Great work! I like it so far.

However I have to give it a 7/10 due to the fact that the 3 siblings despite having lived for a thousand years seem to show a great lack of judgment towards making almost any choice, Elijah being the wisest of course, but still falling for simple woes. You would think someone who's lived for a thousand years would be smarter and most definitely wiser than they seem to be, consistently looking to children for counsel, which admittedly gets frustrating at times. The show has only made two seasons so far so I look forward to their growths in both power and wisdom in future episodes!
32 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolutely adore this show!!
dismantlexme21 October 2013
As a huge fan of The Vampire Diaries, I was excited to hear about a spin off the The Original Family. At first I was worried it was going to be a disaster, but was I ever wrong! After watching the first 2 episodes I have to say I am impressed. Love the fact that more time is devoted to our favorite Originals, they really needed their own show. So happy this show exists!!! On a side note, I am watching American Horror Story Coven, A show about young and old witches coming to terms with their powers in modern day New Orleans...same city The Originals live in. It would be really cool to see an overlap of the shows for an episode or 2.... see how Marcus would deal with a Supreme Witch!!!!
42 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best Vampire shows ever.
jalondhoward12 December 2018
The show far exceeds TVD in terms of acting and storytelling. I was instantly hooked from the first episode. The show as a whole achieved greatness from season 1 to season 5. The series finale could've been better but the show will go down as one of my favorites to watch.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pls, return The Originals back!!!
lysithea-1195812 February 2019
The Originals is one of the best series I've ever watched! Really, they are so great, strong and interesting, that I even don't mind on small plot gaps! It seems like raitings was high too, so why don't they want to continue this amazing series - mysterious...
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sad to see it end.
carolynrickman16 August 2018
I've watched the originals on Netflix. One of my all time favorites. The show made me laugh, cry and wanting more. So disappointed it all came to a end. I absolutely Loved that show.
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Originals
Actseep3 October 2013
About The Pilots, I think some of these reviews from people are per-judging this show way to prematurely. Julie Plec has already stated that the first episode would recap from a different point of view the events from the backdoor Pilot from TVD episode 20 and to introduce Characters. While some portions were boring I can understand this as this needed to be done so that first Time viewers who did not see the backdoor pilot can be properly introduce to the show and for those who do not watch TVD. You people are judging this to early on and you have to give the stories a little time to take shape. While some of the main cast are not new to their characters others are that have not been on TVD, so they will need a little time to develop their characters. The others from TVD are on New ground to carry their own storyline separate from TVD so in time they will get accustom to their new environments. The Baby storyline I think can be really good, its been done on The Underworld Movies and it can make an interesting story, lets not knock it yet and see where it goes. This Pilot was good in my opinion, you all have to give it time, be patient and don't condemn it just yet. I give this Pilot 4 thumbs up!
39 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I love this show!!!
tonyarpr28 December 2016
I have recently started watching this show via Netflix and I absolutely LOVE it!!! It has been so addicting for me that that in the matter of two weeks, I am already halfway through Season 3! I think all the actors and actresses really know their characters and make the viewer feel like they are in New Orleans right in the middle of the action! Nick-Klaus and Elijah are OUTSTANDING actors and I love their characters! They do an amazing, fantastic job! I would recommend that anyone looking for a new show to start watching, that they give this a try! I like the interaction of witches, vampires, and werewolves together. It makes a great story line. I cannot wait until Season 4 starts, I am hooked!!
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
the most amazing series i have watched
lawnwangele13 April 2018
The story line is really captivating and cuts through all episodes...... it shows the strnght and weaknesses of family, friends and subjects.... it is a well calculated show....... I cant wait for season 5 to be released.
14 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Should not be last season
dingyblondegurl20 April 2018
I was very surprised that this was better than TVD just wish it was going more season
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
unexpectedly good
claralille18 January 2018
I don't like TVD so haven't really been paying attention to anyone telling me to watch this... but what a nice surprise this show turned out to be.
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Impeccable... Here's why..
ahmadmobeenqazi19 February 2015
The Originals is beyond doubt one the best supernatural shows on air right now. And it's all due to the following five reasons.

1. THE ACTING. Woww. Just wow. Joseph Morgan is phenomenal as Klaus and portrays his guilt, desperation and the need for love flawlessly. Daniel Gillies, well, need I say more? The charm he brings as Elijah is so good that it's almost palpable. You know, all the cast is spectacular and if I start mentioning them all, the word limit might end but the qualities won't. Although, two actors need a special mention. First one is Maisie Richardson. When Claire Holt left, we were all worried what would happen to the character of Rebecca because she seemed irreplaceable. Well, in comes Maisie Richardson, and all our worries vanished. She is impersonating Holt so good that I almost forget that the change did take place. And that's saying something! The other actor I want to mention is Daniel Sharman, who, with his brilliant work made us (finally) reach out to Kol and empathize with him a bit. I'm hurt they killed him recently (although, this is supernatural drama and he can always come back. Here's to wishful thinking!)

2. THE PACE. The story moves forward in an admirable way and not even once you feel that they are stretching something out just for the sake of it. No filler episodes of of yet either. This trait was executed outstandingly in the first few seasons of The Vampire Diaries and that is where I'm guessing The Originals inherited it from too.

3. THE SCORE. Well, be it drama, action, sadness, desperation, you name it... the sound engineers and editors are at your service to polish the scene with the perfect background track and make it ten times more emotionally powerful. Trust me, I found some very exciting artists by Shazaming these background tracks. You'll not be disappointed.

4. THE CINEMATOGRAPHY. I have to admit. The scene selection and decoration wise, this series ranks amongst the best. Right from the pilot episode, you get to know it's a different kind of beast than The Vampire Diaries. We are talking about a darker, richer, aesthetically pleasing approach that really makes you "live in the moment". Werewolf attacks, decapitations, taking out of hearts, period scenes of the 1900s and, hell, even the wedding.. Everything just perfect.

5. THE LESSONS. Well, the best thing is the messages that this show teaches us. For example, that power and authority are two different things and the former never ever guarantees the latter ("The Battle of New Orleans"); that even the most deadly of all have a softer side that they rarely ever show to everyone but it's there and it's up-to the close ones to understand how to trigger that part and lead the strayed to the right path ("Always and Forever"); that family really is power ("I Love You, Goodbye") but that when they betray you, it hurts the most ("Farewell to Storyville"), etc etc. Not everyday you find a horror/supernatural show with this much depth.

All in all, kudos to the writers. A perfect 10/10 for me. Seriously guys, don't miss out on this one. You'll be amazed by how much of an improvement this is compared to The Vampire Diaries.
16 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
blown away & addicted!!
shaelamaree-0994030 April 2017
This show....wow. I am blown away by the complexity of the story lines, cinematography, dialogue and most importantly the acting. Spinning off from The Vampire Diaries series, I was expecting story lines based around the cliché boy likes girl plot (aka TVD) but loved seeing the story between father (klaus) and daughter (hope). This show offers relatable content from "Family above all" to falling in love. The Originals is a darker, more mature show. This show takes you on a roller coaster and is never predictable. You will definitely see the shadows of "Always and Forever" revolving around the Mikaelson family throughout the entire series. If you need a vampire fix, I highly suggest this show. Amazing plots, action, emotion and acting. You will be pleased.
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Caught Up
kaelamurphy22 December 2016
I have finally caught up to where The Originals are currently and I can tell you that it was one of the best decisions I have made. When I first heard of the originals I immediately thought it was just going to be a spin off of TVD and there wasn't going to be an actual good plot and story to follow along too, but the more I watch the more it proved me wrong. Through every episode and every season it had me at the edge of my seat waiting to see what was going to happen next. Also it was able to connect with me which is one of the main things I look for when watching a show. If it is good enough to have me feeling connected and emitting actual emotion and it did just that. If you are debating whether or not to watch this show and you like twists, turns, and all around a great plot that's easy to follow but still keeps you on the edge of your seat watch this show! Amazing.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Joseph actually brought Klaus to life.
vibheshk29 September 2018
A very well thought story idea, though the show as a whole could have been made better. But 10/10 for Joseph.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing
teampall-757506 September 2018
Not sure why this show is ending or ended but one of the best vampire shows I've ever watched. It's amazing and I just wanna say I love marcel!!!!
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.