Resident Evil: The Final Chapter (2016) Poster

Hands down the WORST editing in the history of filmmaking
edhuang-toronto29 January 2017
You are probably not going to see this film for riveting story-lines and in depth character studies. The RE series has about action and fun sequences. Leaving aside all the ridiculous plot points and lazy screen writing, the editing of this movie is going to become legendary for it's awfulness.

I've never seen a full budgeted movie get hacked up so poorly that the expensive action scenes are pretty much butchered to the max. This movie needs to be studied in film school for how NOT to edit a movie. Every single action is shot with countless shakes, moves, and camera switches. A simple action of, say, putting away your knife, takes 3- 4 camera edits. I was counting them by 15 minutes in per shot. It was insane. A fight sequence will be nothing but a countless series of quick edits form close up, medium and far away shots mashed together so it's impossible to follow what's going on. Shaky cam is one thing, but this is shaky cam plus strobe effect editing. Every single punch or shot requires 4-6 edits and quick cuts. It will give you a headache to figure out what's happening in any fight or sequence. Even mundane actions like people standing on top of a building looking down takes 5-6 edits and quick cuts?

Bring the puke bag.

I guess they tried to film some neat locations and the costumes are pretty and sets, but you wont even notice with the multiple edits jarring your eyes.
574 out of 733 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Who gave this guy money?
omegaangel6 March 2017
If a hamster with ADHD was fed nothing but cocaine and Red Bull for a month and let loose in an editing room it would do a better job than Paul W.S. Anderson. Someone should really introduce him to the concept of shots not measured in milliseconds. I thought this seizure inducing train wreck was banned. Oh, sorry, that was a Pokemon episode. Not sure how I got confused, the Pokemon episode made more sense. But in all seriousness, over the course of the entire Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street and Halloween series the three slashers made fewer cuts than Paul did in the first five minutes.
295 out of 395 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No more please god no more!!!
MR_Heraclius21 February 2020
Resident Evil: The Final Chapter reprises Milla Jovovich as Alice in the fifth sequel of the franchise that Paul Anderson derived back in 2002. Ali Larter rejoins Milla along with Iain Glen to bring a ridicules plot to an end, hopefully. I couldn't stand the single camera action sequences, I felt like the camera was doing all the fighting and not the characters. Unlike the original where slow motion camera angles made the franchise famous, this one was made on the cheap. The franchise did become the single most successful horror movie series in history but this flick was less horror and more how did this whole storyline get started. You may skip this one but if you want t know the ending maybe check it out.
53 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The amount of shaky cam is unbearable.
drgutman2 March 2017
It gave me motion sickness 20 minutes into the movie. Every action sequence has 3-4-5 cuts every other second The camera is shaking even when all the characters are static. While the quality diminished with every new episode, I still hate to see such a disastrous ending to one of my favorite franchises. This is sad.
184 out of 253 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unwatchable
emazanoni26 January 2017
Aside the nonsense plot, the total lack of logic and the poor script that I could expect from a full action-based movie, there is this filming style where the camera flies, rebound, shakes, zoom in and out (so close that I can see the skin cells of alice and suddenly from 50 feets in the air) that makes the action scenes impossible to follow, and the actions scenes are like the 99% of the movie so the movie is unwatchable. The special effects seems good but it's hard to appreciate them because it's a dark movie and again, the constant movement of the cameras. The acting is not bad.

If a movie director is reading this please consider stop making that thing with the cameras, the action can be exciting even with a fixed plane, if you don't believe me play the first 3 resident evil games ;)
393 out of 559 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is not Resident Evil
SilentEyes_15 March 2017
This is just some Paul Anderson cash grab, crap fest abomination that carries Resident Evil title, features some zombies, loud music, gun shots, explosions and one of the worst directing and editing I've ever seen. Every scene in this movie, right from the start, is shot with shaky camera and fast cuts.I don't know who thought that this approach would make The Final chapter a better movie, because it made it the worst, and hopefully the last under the supervision of Paul Anderson. There was only one scene, one moment, where the glory of the real Resident Evil showed some signs of life, but that scene was butchered with amazingly awful editing that made my eyes hurt. What the hell happened to you Paul? It seems the glory of Event Horizon will remain the peak of his career. Now lets just hope they let Resident Evil rest for some time before they reboot it with proper people behind the camera, people who understand what RE is all about.
124 out of 174 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The movie sucked. Worst 8 bucks i ever spent.
asmellysmew28 February 2017
I saw it in the theater the night it came out and it sucked really really hard, and this has to be the one film I've ever regretted paying money to see.

The fight scenes are filled with nothing but jump cuts, so you can't tell what's going on until said fight is over. The story makes no sense from what they were going with from the fifth movie (In the last movie, RE: Retribution, the red queen's trying to kill Alice along with the rest of humanity. In this one, it turns out she's trying to SAVE humanity, which directly conflicts with retribution's story.) Seriously, Watch the other five movies first, preferably in one sitting, and then watch this one. You'll see exactly what I mean when I say it sucked.

The new people didn't even matter. They had time to bring in like a few random new people, who die one by one as soon as they get into the hive. They had Chris Redfield, Leon, Ada, Claire, and Becky, they could have had these people survive (Oh yeah, it turns out they're all dead, except for Claire, apparently and to make matters worse, they don't even mention them except for a passing mention of Chris by Claire and Alice then it's not talked about ever again.) and help Alice in her mission, but instead we settle for a bunch of nobodies who got introduced in the middle of the movie and then died like 30 minutes later. These people didn't matter. Not even the one who turns out to be an umbrella informant. And this is AFTER they built up that the people from the last movie were going to play a significant role in the final chapter.

They set up all this cool stuff in the 5th movie, that we could have seen at the beginning of TFC and instead they chose to hand wave it.

Wesker barely did anything then he gets killed off in terrible way, which they stress that the red queen can't kill umbrella employees, despite the fact that she did in the first movie.

Also they pretty much retconned the first two movies. Originally the red queen was modeled after Angela Ashford, and in this abomination, it turns out the red queen was modeled after James Marcus' (From the games) daughter, who turns out to be Alice's DNA template (shocker, Alice was a clone the whole time!). Which brings me to my next point. Also, they made it a huge plot point that the red queen can't kill umbrella employees, and yet in the first movie she slaughtered everyone in the hive except Matt and Alice.

The "Everyone is a damn clone" nonsense. They went hard with this after extinction. Turns out the Dr. Isaacs we watched die in extinction, was just a clone and it seems that he's leading three tank things that are drawing zombies behind them, seems simple, right? Nope, turns out that guy is a clone too. The real Dr Isaac was underneath raccoon city the whole time.

OH AND THE ENDING! God the ending sucked too! They made a big deal about how Alice would die if she released the antivirus, which is apparently airborne now, into the air and that this was the final chapter, but what happens? She tosses it to the ground and goes unconscious for a bit but survives. They wussed out on a perfect end to Alice's tale and cemented her as a true Mary sue character.

Just...If you're reading this Paul Anderson, You should have worked way harder on this movie, because this movie is garbage. And I say that as a fan of the other 5 movies. There was no reason for this to be this terrible, I mean they even stopped showing it a week after it released in my town, that's how bad it was.
129 out of 185 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You shoulda stuck to slo-mo, Paul.
BA_Harrison2 March 2017
Alice (Milla Jovovich) emerges from the ruins of Washington DC and is contacted by the Red Queen (Ever Anderson), who tells her of an antidote to the T-Virus that is located under Raccoon City. Alice has only 48 hours to find and release the antidote before the rest of humanity is wiped out by the Umbrella Corporation, whose plan is to repopulate the earth with the rich and the powerful, who are stored in cryogenic suspension in The Hive.

I've always been a staunch supporter of the Resident Evil films, finding them to be fun slices of slick action-packed horror, but that support ends with The Final Chapter. Once again directed by Paul W.S. Anderson, this supposed last instalment is an absolute mess, any potential for enjoyment hindered by an extremely slight plot, even by RE standards, and some of the worst direction and editing I have ever experienced.

As far as content goes, the film is business as usual, with big monsters, hordes of zombies, evil corporate types running the show, and Milla being bad-ass, but with the camera shaking all over the place and the majority of shots lasting for a fraction of a second, the action is virtually impossible to follow, making the film more likely to result in a headache than a thrill rush. And as if the wobbly cam/ADHD approach wasn't bad enough, much of film takes place in poorly lit locations, making it even harder to keep track of what is happening.

Despite being called The Final Chapter, the end of the film inevitably leaves things open for further adventures for Alice. If Anderson does intend to make more Resident Evil films, let us hope that he doesn't continue in the same style.
102 out of 145 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
total nonsense
dubrovicdenis24 February 2017
it is terrible no logic,story makes no f*****g sense and the best of all the flippin epilepsy attack in every action scene i almost got a heart attack for god's sake you can't see s**t because it goes by so fast that i had to put it to slow motion sometimes to actually find out what the hell is going on
240 out of 357 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A big let down for me.
jamgood-842-4480841 March 2017
As a big fan of the Resident Evil films, I was looking forward to seeing this even though the series has slowly been going down hill for the last few movies.

Some good action here and there but I felt like the film never really gets going. It all seemed a bit "forced", for want of a better word. A disappointing end to the saga for me personally.

I really hope they don't make any more of them in the future.
82 out of 126 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the most pointless cash-in franchise movies ever
airfaith15 February 2017
Firstly a few points

1. A masterclass in how NOT to edit an action movie together, shaky cam mixed with overly fast sequencing is enough to give you a headache or at the very least go "wait whats happening right now?" it was just so unnecessary and only went to further show the lack of directing ability when it comes to actions scenes, if you cannot get a few second shot during a fight and instead have to splice 100 half second shots together just to get 50 seconds worth of a fight scene, then why even bother?

2. The whole plot with wesker "wesker you are fired" so now the red queen can take you out.... is so ripped off from robocop and has been done to death, lazy writing.

3. And at the end... alice is told that they had to know she was willing to give up her life for others, but honestly what a load of nonsense, alice still could have released the antivirus to save others whether she thought she would die or not, pointless plothole for the sake of adding extra tension with the "oh but if alice does it, she will die" then at the end "nope, you wont" its like the old "and they woke up and lived happily ever after" ending so trivial.

Honestly, I didn't mind the first movie, but since then it has just dragged on and on limping along with more wounds with each new movie, this new one was purely to make a bit of cash off of those die hard fans that love trash movie franchises, those that don't care about 1000 plot holes and just want to see something explode unrealistically and see the same actress do all the same stuff over and over again that has already been seen and done in the previous films, I would put this franchise now on par with Underworld, just pointless drivel scripted out in about an hour without any care whatsoever, childlike almost, what is worse is that this film adds nothing to the overall series, its just there for the sake of dragging it out further, would love for it to finally just die off and maybe reboot it, different, with better writers and directors but most of all acting, the lead actress almost acts now like she couldn't care less about being there despite it being the only real franchise that keeps her in work. I can enjoy bad films, good films, great films, but I just cannot enjoy movies that feel like they where slapped together in a made for TV movie style for the sake of making some cash.
97 out of 153 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Epilepsy and headache warning
bigmasterlink10 July 2017
What a mess !!! My brain was stressed about all this quick editing and headache was incoming. Quit after 15minutes. Was the editor on speed? Have never seen such a sniffed garbage. I do not know how to get such ideas to cut a film. RIP Resident Evil franchise. Waste of time and money. I'm done with this. Looks like an Uwe Boll movie dungeon siege.
19 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Last two movies were bad, this one is somehow worse
cheighlee19 March 2017
Right of the bat, movie doesn't show that huge Washington battle from the end of the previous movie. Then it retcons so much, that it basically erases second movie's plot from existence. T-Virus origins, and all that, simply retold in crappy flashbacks and too much narration are substantially changed.

Plot is stupid, complicated and all over the place, characters are horrible, action is garbage, everything is censored and not gory, acting is sub par on most occasions. "Twist" is also whatever. Effects are also crappy. Well everything is. I've managed to watch this from the third try. It was that dumb and dull.

I almost feel sorry for the actors in this, but then again, bills gotta get paid, people have to eat, pay rent, provide for their families.

Supposedly this is the last movie in this production, franchise and all. I really, really hope it is because this last movie was just awful. One before this movie, Retribution, was horrible, but this one is just sad and empty garbage of a movie.

But then again, I'm afraid that we're not seen the last of this yet. Because here's the thing - Resident Evil movies have this knack that they somehow cost less and less or about the same to make but earn more and more as they get churned out. Apparently this movie's cost was around 40 million $, but it grossed worldwide around 300 million. That's about eight times the initial investment, and SONY (Screen Gems) and Capcom are not gonna throw that money away just like that.

Now listen, I actually liked the first movie, it wasn't like the games, just copy and pasted one those. It was an original movie set in RE world. And that was cool. Second movie expanded a bit on that but wasn't that good of a movie. Third one did some things better (characterization), some not (plot and story mainly). But after that, it's tasteless wasteland.

Would I like to see another Resident Evil movie? Not really, like ever. But if I must, at least make it a complete reboot and do it competently and with some more purpose than just to make money, everything else be damned.

Do i I recommend RE: The Final Chapter? Not really, even if you saw previous movies. This one leaves kinda open door to more sequels, but I hope those won't happen, ever.
22 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unbelievable garbage... Just unbelievable...
Moonpie8215 April 2017
It's funny that Paul Anderson has been keeping this series up for over a decade and he still doesn't know anything about making even a decent movies. He hasn't learned anything and he doesn't have any vision or skills. The Final Chapter is full of clichés, shitty special effects, shaking cameras, stupid camera angles that change every second and brainless script without any logic. It's simply unwatchable. One of the worst movies i've ever seen, and i've been watching movies for decades...

Paul Anderson, stop. Just stop, OK? You clearly have no idea how to make good action movies. Go clean streets or something.
39 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The worse of the franchise!
dimebagchan22 January 2017

Totally waste your time and money.

Paul W S Anderson think he is smart enough, using lot of stupid, pointless & unnecessary action scenes to cover up the one page poor script; Does it make the movie look exciting? Sorry! man! It doesn't make the movie look exciting at all; in the matter of fact, It only makes the movie bored to dead.

By just one small bottle of anti-virus, immediately kill off millions of zombie in just one second? Are you kidding me? Come on, man! It is totally stupid story arrangement! yap.. not to mention another stupid arrangement such as meet up the old friend, and Oh! We have a betrayer! It's so Boring!!!!

Alice come back to life again at the end, make her sacrifice totally a joke. Paul W S Anderson keep the character alive, which means....? More episode on the future..? Oh! God!
166 out of 283 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I thought that this couldn't possibly be worse than Retribution. I was wrong.
SynfulBlood10 February 2017
Literally everything is wrong with this movie. No, I'm not gonna complain about how it's nothing like the games because honestly, they threw that out the window at Apocalypse, which was ironically the only one that had anything from the games at all. Huh. Speaking of which, they threw a hell of a lot more out the window with this one, including plot points from the other movies.

Remember Dr. Ashford and his daughter Angie from Apocalypse? If you don't, I don't blame you, but in any case, they are now irrelevant, because they pretty much never existed according to this movie. Now we have another character from the game (rather, just some jackass that shares a name with him), James Marcus, and his daughter, Alicia (not from the games), who replace them here. Now, according to this one, Marcus created the T-Virus to cure a disease his daughter was suffering from. Interesting; in Apocalypse, it was just paralysis, but whatever. Anyways, the side effect was that it kills people and turns them into zombies. Don't question it. I doubt even the writer knows what the hell he was thinking.

So, with that needless plot revision out of the way, the movie starts out *after* the White House battle that was teased at the end of Retribution. Yeah, what could have made for a somewhat entertaining scene was completely skipped over. But whatever. At this point, the movie's loss is our gain. Alice was betrayed by Wesker; her powers were in fact not given back to her, which I actually kind of like about this movie, because that was one of the worst aspects of her character anyway. Kudos, writer. Anyways, she is contacted by the Red Queen, who is no longer the genocidal AI she was in Retribution and is once again played by a different actress. At least this time, she actually does look like the programmer's daughter, as they said in the first movie.

You know, the complete lack of regard for the series' continuity is already enough to trash this movie, and the previous two, for that matter. Because even the fans (apparently, there actually *are* fans of this crap) don't have any real reason to keep watching it. The Red Queen has gone from killing people infected by the T-Virus to prevent an outbreak, to trying to kill all of humanity, and now she wants to save them. Can we make up our minds, please?

The Red Queen tells Alice that Umbrella has developed an antivirus that can wipe out everything infected by the T-Virus across the world. Not that that really matters; the whole world has been destroyed and there are apparently only a little over four thousand people left on the planet. Humanity's screwed, guys, give it up already. In any case, Alice should already have known this, because the antivirus was a vital plot point in the first THREE movies, god damn it. The people who make these aren't even trying anymore, are they? Anyways, the Red Queen tells Alice to head back to The Hive facility in Raccoon City, where everything began, to get the antivirus and bring it back to the surface so it can be released.

So that's the main plot of this movie, and in case you haven't already guessed, it's an absolutely terrible one, and that plot twist near the end... god damn. Seriously, a 12 year old fanfiction writer probably could have done a better job. But that isn't even the worst of this movie's problems.

The action scenes are utterly incomprehensible. The camera jumps around so damn much that you can't even see what the characters are fighting most of the time, or even the characters themselves, really. Although, you'd have a lot of trouble seeing that anyway because the lighting is also terrible, and if you went to see this in 3D, the screen looks even darker on top of that because of the glasses. By the way, if you do go see this trainwreck, do so in 2D if you can. The 3D is utterly pointless, and so is this movie's existence.
46 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Watch to induce epileptic seizures...without prior history
nietzsche_is_dead4 February 2017
Seeing the previous films, I wasn't going in with any expectations at all. Just wanted to have some mind numbing fun. But this movie doesn't even let you do that. Because of the constant shaking, nerve damaging ways of switching cameras and nausea inducing editing, you can hardly keep up (with whatever that this movie has to keep up with.)

There is no sense in the movie, even for a Sci-Fi one where you shut off critical parts of the brain. The acting was bad, the characters were ridiculous and plot holes so big that the entire Raccoon city could fit in it with the underground hive.

Have you or anyone in your family doubts that you might be prone to epileptic seizures?

Take them to this movie. If this doesn't trigger it, you can safely walk the earth knowing nothing else will.
87 out of 148 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst edited film in history hands down!
hurricane_floyd3 March 2017
Aside from the usual problems with this type of movie and this particular franchise. This movie looks like it was edited by a high school film class on crystal meth. The action scenes are a dizzying mashup of half second cuts each from a different angle. There are dialog scenes where there is a camera a cut on every. single. word. They even left it open for yet another sequel. I wish I could give it negative stars.
45 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awful, also they manage to ruin the first movie.
jigzat4 June 2017
I have enjoyed some handful of poorly rated movies but this one is horrible, I rather watch Showgirls 100 times.

The series not only went into the same path as the second movie onward with excessive cheesy CGI and over the top camera movement but it also felt into the overly explained plot trend. They constantly try to explain every single aspect of the universe and it constantly recapitulates with previous films footage flashbacks. It tries to recycle certain things from the first movie in an very lazy attempt to find a success "formula" but of course it failed. Also the ending will ruin the plot of the first movie, so for your own sake pretend that the rest of the movies don't exist.

If I had worked on that movie I would be ashamed of showing my name in the credits TBH. Milla Jovovich seriously lost part of her charm with this movie, I feel bad for her.
19 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Doobie-us" Editing Pushes Incomprehensibility to New Heights
roblesar993 July 2017
"My name is Alice, and this is my story. The end of my story."

Except it likely isn't. Because writer-director Paul W.S. Anderson doesn't know how to tell how a story. Because Anderson refuses to give Milla Jovovich's Alice the ending she deserves. And because this film made way too much money at the box office for the corporate heads at Screen Gems to call it a day. Going back to the ending, however, the film's final five minutes completely betray everything that comes before, Anderson seeking the easy way out and preventing the film from even providing a modicum of closure. I haven't seen the rest of the installments in this series, and I likely never will, but the ending of this latest entry frustrates, leaving the door wide open for a continuation despite the affirmation of the film's subtitle that this is indeed, the final chapter. Anderson finds himself unable to provide an ending with something substantial and weighty, choosing instead to succumb to triviality.

Perhaps my experience of watching Resident Evil: The Final Chapter can best be described as nauseating. Editor Doobie White should be permanently banned from ever entering a Hollywood editing room for the remainder of his career. There are trace elements of impactful action, most notably in a scene early on that features Alice fighting Umbrella Corporation soldiers while hanging upside down, but White's editing completely obfuscates Anderson's footage, wringing the material free of any excitement. Indeed, the action suffers throughout, especially in the second half. Combined with dimly-lit rooms, White's editing allows for the action to attain a level of incomprehensibility so rarely seen in major Hollywood productions that I hope it remains that way. We don't need to see the action of punching someone in the face from four different angles in the span of a second, and yet White indulges in creating a film free of visual panache, refusing to allow the audience the mere pleasure of being able to watch what's on screen.

The film plays as a poor imitation of Mad Max: Fury Road, with White attempting to emulate Margaret Sixel's kinetic editing style. But whereas Sixel retained precise control and restraint over her work, complimenting George Miller's visual storytelling in such a masterful way that she was awarded an Oscar, White instead edits in such a way that the film ends up feeling the product of late-night Red Bull cram sessions, White desperately trying to piece together disparate video fragments in an attempt to meet a deadline that has already passed.

Additionally, Anderson himself happens to be part of the problem. While he may be passionate about Resident Evil and these characters, none of that shines through in his writing. Instead, we are merely moved from action sequence to action sequence, with nothing but clumsy dialogue and wooden acting to serve as the intermediary between said sequences. Anderson finds himself unable to determine what exactly he wants to emphasize, whether it be action or horror, and so the film falls flat on both fronts. The jump scares of the first act feel cheap and ineffective, while some of the action in the second and third acts relies entirely too much on CGI. Peppered throughout the film itself are baffling inconsistencies that break whatever suspension of disbelief is already necessary to sit through one of these films. Characters appear and disappear seemingly out of their own volition to the degree that when the first of the survivors bit the dust, I had no idea who she was.

The characters that Anderson writes to populate his world are so thinly-written that the performers portraying them could be swapped around to little noticeable change. Indeed, when each of these characters eventually meets their end, there is no sense of gravity, no sense of impact. These characters merely serve as plot devices that demonstrate the myriad of ways that someone can be killed, as conjured by Anderson. Even Jovovich falls flat, unconvincing in the role of the heroine. It's a shame too, because the world these characters inhabit is ripe for potential, for the post-apocalyptic landscape of America can be and has been used to explore a variety of rich themes to comment on society. And while some might point that the portrayal of the Umbrella Corporation can be seen as Anderson exhibiting an anti- capitalist stance, he adds nothing to the argument, seemingly content to regurgitate an idea that has grown stale over the course of six films.

Now, I'm not saying that action films such as Resident Evil: The Final Chapter cannot and should not be enjoyed. If you enjoy Anderson's latest, more power to you. But an underrated piece of art misunderstood by audiences and critics worldwide this isn't. Any promise that the film might have is snuffed out because of Anderson's listless writing and directing, White's headache-inducing editing, and the plethora of other flaws present. Indeed, The Final Chapter should make good on its promise and truly be the final one.

Rating: 2/10 (Painful)
31 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I think the people involved with these movies were as eager to get this over with as the rest of us
ofbodin-966-48552015 April 2017
The plot made absolutely no sense, the dialogue was awkward, the action scenes (99% of the movie) were random and horribly shot.

At some point you have to wonder how many guardian angels are watching over the main character, because some INSANE stuff have to fall into place in order for her to survive a quadrillion near-death situations in a row like this... Resident Evil used to be an amazing horror survival game which is now an action-game with horror elements. The movies were really cool horror/action movies that have now turned into this bizarre collection of elements that never quite fit together in a perverted twist of what is the failed plot of this movie. This made NO SENSE WHATSOEVER and was so messy and weird.

Also: Did they intentionally make Albert Wesker the only character to LITERALLY resemble himself from the video games down to every pixel of the graphics from the original Resident Evil? Is that supposed to make us feel nostalgic? It's just REALLY WEIRD AND CRINGY! His face looks like plastic!

Horrible movie, and I'm glad to have finally suffered through all of these and hopefully someone with talent will pick up the torch when they are ready to make the reboots.
32 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The editing sucks
verminhater31 March 2017
There is a place reserved in hell for the "editor" of this movie. I use the term "editor" in it's loosest meaning as the chap obviously has no idea of how to edit a movie.

The story, if there is one, is utterly demolished by one unrelated action scene after another with no one shot lasting more than a fraction of a second. It's utterly awful and impossible to stomach for more than a few minutes. I appreciate such short shots are often used to hide poor cgi or effects and can see some use for the technique but to make a whole film using this method is complete urine extraction. The result is a total pile of the proverbial and unwatchable in the extreme.

Go boil your head, or find some mind numbing repetitive task to do for 90 minutes or so rather than suffer this.
19 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What the hell
sssnaky-856-78286120 March 2017
I was under no illusion that this would be good. But come on. Not only is it terrible it's not watchable either. The way the movie was cut is awful and the fighting keeps skipping from one shot to the other so fast that you have no clue what is happening. At one point I was sure Clair was dead because of that.

I cannot find one good thing about this movie. First of they took the Mutalisks from Starcraft for some reason and put them in this. Secondly, they destroyed any semblance of continuity. If you have watch the others, nothing apply to this. If you are going to finish a series of movies and suck at it at least fallow your own story.

Stay away unless, like me, have watch all the other and have a hard time dropping shows and movie series.And even so, this will not give you closure just a bad taste in your mouth and a headache.
15 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you like good movies, do yourself a favor and watch a different movie
mhess871 February 2017
I have never written a review of a movie before I saw Resident Evil: The Final Chapter. After watching this piece of zombie dung, I jumped onto IMDb to see who is responsible for this catastrophe of a movie. First thing I notice is the movie has a 6.3 rating. Really people? 6.3 to me is ABOVE AVERAGE and if you think this movie is a 6.3, you are either: high, wasted, age 12, or have an IQ of a zombie with brain damage. This movie is the literal definition of the word, "garbage." I felt compelled to tell the world how terrible this movie is... and calling it terrible is actually being lenient.

I could pick out a million different things as regards to why this movie is awful. Stupid plot, terrible acting, all the characters with zero character. I will spare you your time and talk about two.

First: EDITING. I would LOVE to listen in the editing room talk during the making of this movie. Good lord it would be hilarious. The average time taken between camera cuts has got to be a movie record. During several scenes the camera had to have changed 5 times in the span of like 2 seconds. I felt like I was being interrogated by the CIA watching this poop. Halfway through the movie I felt like I would spill any government secrets if I had any just to make it stop. And when Alice gets to the last room in the hive, the movie finally gives you a moment of relief for two minutes… but at that point you're already dead.

Second: JUMP SCARES. There is probably an average of 2-3 jump scares per setting. It gets hilarious as the movie goes on. Every time the movie gets quiet, get ready to have your ears blown out by the loudest noises they could legally include in the movie. If I took a shot for every jump scare in this movie, I'd be dead in 10 minutes.

Best part about this movie: it's over and I'm still alive. Enjoy life kids, you never know when you may stumble upon a movie such as this.
69 out of 123 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Resident Evil Retribution and The final Chapter confusing?
mizmera21 March 2017
On Resident Evil Retribution at the end it seemed that Milla is going in for a full war. Then the movie comes out and it has got nothing to do with the ending? Don't get me wrong. Resident Evil The Final Chapter was excellent for me. Just strange that it is not following up on Retribution. They set us up for one hell of a fight with some characters included then the story following does not have those characters or the story line? AM I MISSING SOMETHING?
14 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.