Jojo Rabbit (2019)
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 32 items
|MPAA||Rated PG-13 for mature thematic content, some disturbing images, violence, and language|
Sex & Nudity
- There is talk of people having sex with animals.
- A 20-30 second conversation of penises (within the context of circumcision) takes place. A character suggests people eat them and use them as earplugs and such.
- Two characters talk about kissing each other.
Violence & Gore
- Rosie casually knees Captain Klensedorf in the groin. He falls down to the floor cupping himself, in visible agony, while she condescends to him apathetically.
- Two scenes show the aftermath of a public hanging.
- There are several scenes of violence toward a rabbit.
- At the end many soldiers are shot and blood squirts out
- One f-word (spoken by a child but very humorous in tone), several s-words, uses of ass, goddamn, hell, etc. - a number of which are spoken by children.
- The main character JoJo says penis a few times. He also referenced Jewish boys being circumcised.
- At the beginning, Klensedorf uses the term "tittie-gropers" while addressing a large audience of children.
- Every "Goddamn" is used in the dinner scene and one day before.
- 6 uses of "shit". 1 paired with "bull".
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- Fake Hitler offers Jojo cigarettes a couple times but Jojo refuses.
- Some drinking by some main characters.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- Numerous scenes of Nazis speaking degradingly of Jews. Though meant to be caricatures of comically terrible people, some of these remarks might be seen as offensive to more sensitive viewers.
- A rabbit is killed.
- Despite the film's sense of humor, this film shows us the horrors of war, and the depictions of these atrocities are highly realistic, which could be upsetting for some.
- A child has a mental breakdown and stabs someone.
Violence & Gore
- At the beginning, Jojo runs through the woods with a grenade. He pulls the pin and throws it at a tree, whereupon it bounces off, lands at Jojo's feet, and explodes. Jojo is knocked off his feet and then unconscious. He is taken to a hospital where Hitler gives him a thumbs up, whereupon Jojo also puts his thumb up, and his arm is covered in blood. Jojo is treated for his injuries and scars can be seen on his face for the rest of the movie.
- During the final battle, there are soldiers shown to be shot though this is not particularly gory. After this sequence, Nazi soldiers are taken to be shot though this is only heard and not seen.
- A woman is blown up but this is offscreen as you only see her step behind a wall and then an explosion happen
- At the end Hitler is kicked out of a window (see profanity)
- Towards the end of the movie, hitler enters Jojo's room, the side of his face is covered in gory blood as if he'd been shot, referring to him supposedly killing himself
- A rabbit is killed by having it's neck snapped. Offscreen, but the rabbits corpse is seen being thrown away.
- During the last appearance of Hitler in the movie, after he lost the war, is depicted with a blood splotch on his temple, referencing back to an earlier conversation about how Hitler "blew his brains out".
- Jojo use the phrase "F**k off, Hitler" before proceeding to kick Hitler out the window.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- A major character is very suddenly and unexpectedly revealed to have been hanged in the street. A child related to that character accidentally stumbles upon the scene and cries for several minutes. Though the body is never shown up-close in full, it's clear who it is. This moment is extremely shocking and sad and casts a tragic tone over the last half-hour of the film.
- JoJo and Captain Klenzendorf are taken by Russian soldiers after the end of the war. Klenzendorf attempts to comfort a scared JoJo, then tricks the Russians into releasing JoJo. JoJo fights this but it taken away by soldiers as Klenzendorf is dragged away and shot offscreen. Very dramatic and upsetting.
- The last several minutes of the movie revolve around the end of the war in the form of the American invasion of Germany. The horrors of war are on full display and the scenes are very intense.
- Towards the end, Jojo tries to kill Elsa by stabbing her, but the latter grabs the knife before it goes in too deep. When Jojo pulls the knife away, he cries and a very small amount of blood can be seen on Elsa's shoulder. Although no one dies, this scene can be very upsetting
- At the end captain k is shot (offscreen) but before this he tricks the Russians into thinking that jojo is Jew and not a nazi youth so they don't kill him, even though captain k was a nazi his death can be very upsetting as he is a very humorous character and tends to help the main protagonist whenever he can.
- During the war scene, a woman sticks a grenade in the back of a child's pants and tells him to go hug one of the American soldiers, implying suicide bombing. Although it's brief, it's pretty disturbing.