Gunday (2014) Poster

(2014)

Waste of time and money
akash160517 February 2014
The movie was probably aimed at being on of those a masala flicks with bromance, romance, song sequences, tragic background and what not. But half an hour into the movie and it all went for a toss due to a very very weak script. The on screen appearances of the actors was good but it wasn't really backed by any actual acting.The dialogues were over cheesy and ludicrous in all aspects. Probably Priyanka Chopra was the only watchable element of the movie (or may be I am being biased).

Frankly an hour into the movie and i really felt like leaving (I don't know why i didn't). Trust me guys, its one of those movies which is meant to be forgotten and if you haven't watched it and are planning to, then forget the time and money that you are going to waste on this and just save yourself from the agony that might scar you.

The only way this movie could be watchable is with a group of friends who are making fun of everything possible whilst the movie plays.
1,037 out of 1,130 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wake Up Bollywood!!!! Plzzzzz
altaf4204914 February 2014
The one area where Bollywood has achieved excellence and perfection is publicity / promotion. The art of pre release promotion has taught them how to sell their even average / substandard productions at good profits. The much awaited, hyped and promoted "Gunday" is finally out in the theaters and yet again, net result is "Total Disappointment". The movie from head to toe lacks attraction in any field (Story, Music, Direction & even Acting).The handsome combo of Ranvir and Kapoor proved insufficient. Irfan Khan selected a B Grade movie and disappointed his fans. PC is continuously on the way to destruction with another flop appearance. The charisma of YRF and embodied cast could not bring desired results. Although film may achieve a good business (May touch the magical Figure of 100 Crores Club)but it can not be termed a movie to watch. The idea of late 80s once again failed. It is a wake up call. I mean how long audience can be fooled by exaggerated promos and publicity. At last, it will fall. So Wake Up!!!!
87 out of 119 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This film has started disaster in Bangladesh
vimrul19 February 2014
I would like to introduce myself as one of the Bangladeshi movie lovers. Probably Gunday is getting great response in India. But this film has started disaster in Bangladesh. Does the director understand that this project has humiliated the Bangladeshis? Hopefully the mistakes were done unintentionally. Let's have a look at the mistakes done this film.

At the very beginning of your film,they are telling the viewers that it was an India-Pakistan war happened in 1971. I think their script writer was plastered while writing the script. If their information happens to be correct,what were our freedom fighters doing then? India joined the war on 3rd of December 1971. And the war started on 25th of March the same year. India didn't give birth to Bangladesh,rather the bloodshed of our 3 million martyrs did. Director can not but correct the mistake and apologize to us.

2.The story of the film humiliates us on several scenes. they showed that people of Bangladesh were involved in various criminal activities during the liberation war. Two lads of our country become thief and vicious criminal going to your land in their film. It's tremendously humiliating for us (All Bangladeshis).

3.According this story,Bangladeshis consider themselves Indian. How humorous! They can do anything to get Indian citizenship. Extremely humorous!
109 out of 147 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Could the movie be THAT bad?!
planktonrules15 August 2014
As many of my readers have probably noticed, I have a strange affinity for bad films. Sure, I also enjoy foreign, independent and classic Hollywood films--but sometimes I enjoy a film so awesomely bad that it makes me laugh. Because of this, I periodically peruse IMDb's infamous Bottom 100 List to see which films are the lowest rated films of all time. And, aside from a few foreign language pictures which aren't available in the US, I have done a pretty good job of finding and watching these turkeys. A few of these incredibly low rated films are actually not that bad, though most are truly terrible--and many of also unintentionally funny--and these are my favorites. Birdemic, Prince of Space and Eegah are particularly funny examples from the list.

Imagine my surprise recently when I noticed something VERY unusual. A new film managed to not only make the list but vault all the way to #1. Coming from out of nowhere is the Indian film Gunday--a 2014 offering from director/writer Ali Abbas Zafar. And, considering my recent articles for Influx about my love for Indian movies as well as for bad films, I realized that this was a definite must-see. After all, if I praised Bollywood movies for their fun and originality, I have some obligation to mention the bad along with the good. So I wondered, since the movie is ranked as the worst film of all time on IMDb, is it really THAT bad?! Is the movie worse than Plan 9 From Outer Space or is it a case where folks are jumping all over a film that really isn't THAT bad (such is the case with Glitter or Gigli)?

When Gunday began, I could see that it was completely unlike most of the Bottom 100. Most of these films are ultra-cheap films with tiny budgets and few were ever considered prestige films. However, Gunday clearly is a big-budget Bollywood film--with all the trappings you'd expect from such a film. It has handsome actors, huge song and dance numbers and tons of style.

The story is about two orphans who grew up in war-torn Bangladesh, Bikram and Bala. The two are starving and so gravitating towards a life of crime is understandable--and this sort of plot is VERY common in Indian films. They are in some ways like Robin Hood--big-time mobsters who have a heart for the poor and are their benefactors. Because of this and their toughness, no one would ever consider testifying against them and they have become the top crime lords in Calcutta. However, a policeman (the exceptionally talented Irrfan Khan) has made it his job to take down these criminals. And, in addition, the partner's strong bromance is threatened by a pretty young lady who both of them have fallen for big time.

The first portion of the film which shows the pair as children is actually very good. It is a compelling story and you feel for them as kids. They face hunger, sexual abuse and many other obstacles and the audience naturally pulls for them--even though they do begin engaging in criminal activities in order to survive. A bit later, however, the film jumps way ahead in time. Now the pair (played by Ranveer Singh, Arjun Kapoor) are grown up and are becoming the top criminals in the city. They also have become incredibly silly--with extremely well-coiffed hair, rakish good looks, shirts ALWAYS strategically unbuttoned and STYLE, STYLE, STYLE! In fact, they look much more like models in a Vidal Sassoon advertisement than mobsters! And, to make it worse, they act much like Sacha Baron Cohen in Brüno or Ben Stiller in Zooolander-- though these two American films were intended as comedies, not dramatic musicals like Gunday! It's a strange contrast to see their terrible performances alongside Irrfan Khan--who, as usual, is terrific. Now I am not saying that Singh and Kapoor will always be bad actors--but the sorts of performances the director elicited from them are absolutely terrible.

Does all this bad acting and nonsense rise to the level of awfulness that merits the film being on the Bottom 100 List? Not really. While the film is pretty dumb at times (mostly, I feel due to the direction and performances by Singh and Kapoor), the film does have a few things going for it. The songs are terrific and catchy. Zafar can direct music videos--just not people acting like real people. And, as I mentioned above, Irrfan Khan is excellent in his role and this Indian actor has been getting a lot of well deserved attention in breakout films like Slumdog Millionaire, The Lunchbox and Life of Pi. Plus, parts of the story are interesting (though historically inaccurate)-- though I must admit that the film certainly does become tiresome after a while.

So why is this poor but not terrible film rated #1 in the badness scale? I can only assume because it was so well publicized, marketed and designed to be a mega-blockbuster. Like the examples I gave above (Gigli and Glitter), this is a case where the public really LOVES getting on the bandwagon to trash a mega-film. But unlike these two films, Gunday actually made a ton of money...yet people hated it! Perhaps this makes this movie the one that Indians love to hate! All I know is that if Zafar can make more 'failures' like this one, he'll become an incredibly rich man!!

By the way, if you're curious and would like to see the list, it's available at http://www.imdb.com/chart/bottom?ref_=nv_sr_1
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Are we sucker for entertainment only?
karib626219 February 2014
Just like the title said. Are we sucker for entertainment only? Do we have any appreciation for the past or history? I don't think so. Why is that? This film humiliated the history of Bangladeshi Liberation War. Yet people from India who actually watched movie they failed to notice it or even if they did chose to ignore it. We don't care about true history. We care more about how the background or choreography etc was.

Under the entertainment banner lots of movies are bending the history the way they like it or the way they think viewers will like it.This movie is a blazing example of that.

Because of fabricating history to please the mass for business purpose I am giving this movie 1/10.
27 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst movie and historically appropriate
nasirplus19 February 2014
One of the worst movie of recent times, with very rubbish historic info. Scriptwriter, director and production should be ashamed to so laughable scripts. How come they make this comedy and give all wrong information to public.

You should not pay for this garbage and also should not waste your valuable time.

This film was not only pathetically terrible, but also a story line that made no sense. The usual sarcastic one liners fell flat.

I have to give this at least 1 star only cause I'm not allowed to give it less.
103 out of 138 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie changed the main history !
arefin10019 February 2014
This movie changed the main history of the liberation war of Bangladesh in 1971 against Pakistan. Shame Bollywood !Shame Yash Raj films ! Very poor story line. Lack of Historical knowledge. I think Bollywood have no intelligent script writer now a days. And we can understand that they are currently struggling in this matter. Very poor costume selection as we can see the film is plotted on 1971 but their costume is more like 90's. For example Priyanka chopra maintain tied fitting shirt & pant for the movie. That was ridiculous !! Ha Ha Ha During 1971 How can a lady police wear that kind of props LOl :p I afraid during that time was their any lady police (in sub-continent) ? :/ How could people make this kind of junk!! Bangladeshi fight for their country and gain glorious victory during 1971. It was a war between Bangladesh & India. Not India-Pakistan war.
86 out of 110 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A fake starting and history!!
nishabdo-smile19 February 2014
The story starts with a fake history that is told in cinema. In starting it is said that there was a war between India and Pakistan. And by which a nation was born that is Bangladesh.

But in reality and truth it is totally different. As it was a sacrifice of 3M people of Bangladesh. Though India helped Bangladesh but the war was between East Pakistan vs West Pakistan for the independence. Bangladeshi people's fought and gave their bloods to achieve the independence. Anyone can use wiki or google to know about the history of 1971's war in Bangladesh and how Bangladesh born. So the movie has a full fake starting with a wrong history.
21 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gunday: An Extreme Manipulation of Bangladesh's Liberation War history
nafi-fenibd19 February 2014
Bangladeshi people fought for their independents in 1971. It was a war between Bangladesh and Pakistan. Indian government helped Bangladeshi government in every aspects.

They gave food, medical support and guerilla training for 'Mukti Bahini' (Bangladeshi freedom fighters). Pakistani army started the war (25th march 1971, midnight) by killing Bangladeshi civilians, university students, teachers and every person they found on sight. Official name for that operation was 'Operation search light'. During this war 30, 00,000 Bangladeshi gave their life 3, 00,000 women (girls, kids, even pregnant) were raped by Pakistani army and there Bangladeshi allied force (Jamate Islam Bangladesh, Al-badar, Al-shams, Islami chatrashangha). Bangladesh become independent on 26th march 1971 and got victory against Pakistan on 16th December 1971. Bangladeshi people and Bangladeshi government fought for their independents for about 9 month. 3rd December 1971 Indian army started attacking Pakistani army with Bangladeshi army and Mukti bahini. Pakistani Army Commander in the Eastern Command, Lt. General A. A. K. Niazi, signed the Instrument of Surrender in front of General of Officer Commanding in Chief of India and Bangladesh Forces in the Eastern Theatre, Lt. General Jagjit Singh Aurora. (16th December, 1971) This movie started with some voice narration saying that it was the 3rd war between India vs. Pakistan. All I have to say it was our war, it was between Bangladesh and Pakistan. It is and always will be our war for independents. India helped us and we will remember that favor on behalf of our ancestors. On the other hand Indian movie makers must study history when they working with something like this.
17 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Humiliated the Liberation War of Bangladesh 1971
shanon-bd19 February 2014
The movie started by providing false info to the audience. It showed that it was a fight between Indian army and Pakistani army which resulted Bangladesh in 1971. But actually the reality is, Bangladesh fought for their language and land in 1971. We got out freedom with own credit and just at the last moment India helped Bangladesh. But according to the movie most of the credit went to Indian army. I know, India helped Bangladesh and probably that's because of their enmity against Pakistan, but they can't take away all the credits. This is definitely sending wrong signals and as a Bangladeshi I felt it badly. I can't accept it. The director and cast crew should knew this and presented valid and true information. They can't manipulate the emotion of one country just for the sake of making a movie for business.
26 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Poor script reflecting stupidity of ignorant director and writer
nakabir19 February 2014
Calcutta later Kolkata historically such a rich and old city was never known for only a bridge and gangster! It was the capital of the British India and known for many fine historical establishments; Fort William,Victoria Memorial,Howrah Bridge,Marble Palace, Dakesshar Temple are few examples of it! And if for great people of course for Tagore and Bose not some gangster!

And when it comes to the history of Bangladesh; Bangladeshis were fighting this war since the beginning of the year 1971 and India got involved in December 1971. In history it is written as Indian army fought along side the Bengali freedom fighters.

It is an utter nonsense and stupidity to portray such false impression of this great liberation war as an India-Pakistan war!

From this perspective I review this movie as a very poor script movie.
45 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Manipulating Bangladesh's Liberation War history
rubelone0119 February 2014
Do your home work about history before making a dumb movie like this.

All most all the historians found this speculation about the great Liberation War of Bangladesh way too hard to swallow given that, at the time the film is set- it was an India-Pakistan war happened in 1971!! Similarly, this terrible film often humiliates the Bangladeshis, on several sights. It depicted that people of Bangladesh were involved in various criminal activities during the liberation war when in reality; they had been fighting for the liberation of their motherland. Furthermore, the movie awfully exaggerated the situation in 1971 portraying that the Bangladeshi used to talk in Hindi! My foot! It's a matter of great pity when some dumb & numb scriptwriters portrayed the Bangladeshis as Hindi-Speaking Nation, who are the only brave nation who had shed their bloods for claiming their mother tongue back in 1952!
17 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Illiterate and uneducated producer
trivuz-723-74848319 February 2014
How it feel if someone made a movie to prove that Hitler won the 2nd world war? I felt the same when I was watching this movie. It seems to me this movie was produced to spread wrong information about a country, may be producer hates that country. History manipulation & hate speeches is unacceptable.

They also put lots of wrong information about a country which is pretty dumb, specially in the age of information anybody can google a bit to learn the basic things about a country. It seems to me that, this movie produced by some illiterate and uneducated people or may be they did it intentionally. Both are unacceptable.

I wish I could give it negative rating.
43 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Shame on the whole team of this movie.
rajon0719 February 2014
At the very beginning of the film, it's telling the viewers that it was an India-Pakistan war happened in 1971. I think the script writer was plastered while writing the script. If the information happens to be correct, what were Bangladeshi freedom fighters doing then? India joined the war on 3rd of December 1971. And the war started on 25th of March the same year. India's involvement didn't give birth to Bangladesh,rather the bloodshed of 3 million martyrs of Bangladesh did.

The story of this film humiliates Bangladesh on several scenes. The director showed that people of Bangladesh were involved in various criminal activities during the liberation war. Two lads of Bangladesh become thief and vicious criminal going to India in the film. It's tremendously humiliating for Bangladeshi people.

According to the story, Bangladeshis consider themselves Indian. How humorous! Shame on the whole team of this movie.
15 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
*****Writer needs to do more research before make a film*****
salmanarif19 February 2014
This film start with misleading and wrong information.

****Yashraj productions shouldn't allow such a script, it will loose its respect, if it doesn't do anything about it.

***** Irfan khan is a respected actor, he should not read those dialogues !!!!!

"at some point one of the actor says, Bangladeshis consider themselves indians that is not true. Bangladeshis are proud to be Bangladeshis. They have respect for themselves and they have respect for indians. I wish and request Indian people will have the same. Indian army helped in the liberation war of 1971, that is true, and Bangladeshis are grateful and they highly appreciate that help. but what writer tried to show in the film was "Bangladesh was created from the war between Pakistan and India !!!!!! writer tried to humiliate Bangladeshis by showing that army officer was gay and "Bangladeshi refugees" and many others.

Bollywood films have much bigger audience, please take some responsibilities and don't write anything without research, specially topic like "liberation history" which is very sensitive and very close to their heart.
19 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Humilation of Bangladesh Liberation War
abir004819 February 2014
At the very beginning of the film,they tell the viewers that it was an India-Pakistan war happened in 1971. I think the script writer was plastered while writing the script. If their information happens to be correct,what were our freedom fighters doing then? India joined the war on 3rd of December 1971. And the war started on 25th of March the same year. Their velitation didn't give birth to Bangladesh,rather the bloodshed of our 3 million martyrs did. You Indian can not but correct the mistake and apologize to us.

The story of the film humiliates us on several scenes. They showed that people of Bangladesh were involved in various criminal activities during the liberation war. Two lads of our country become thief and vicious criminal going to your land in their film. It's tremendously humiliating for us.

According to the story, Bangladeshis consider themselves Indian. How humorous! They can do anything to get Indian citizenship. Extremely humorous!
25 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fake Information
ttanvir2719 February 2014
Gunday (2014) has just released, but so much wrong and fake information has shown in this movie. They told about the liberation war but gave fake information. They told that in 1971, a war between India and Pakistan was held. That is totally wrong information. The real history was that there was a war between Bangladesh and Pakistan; and Bangladesh won. This movie totally misguided the audience. That is not acceptable. Bollywood is a big film industry. Before releasing this movie and passing it from the sensor board, they should have rechecked the history. So, Bollywood should say sorry for their great mistake. Bollywood has no right to insult any history.

Felling pity on Bollywood.
16 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bollywood masala action film. Its not based on facts !
saurabh-shabdik19 February 2014
Its making money and thats the headline. Just a spoiled effort. Action and over-dramatic dialogues are its USP. Rest is just another Bollywood weekend movie.Bangladesh liberation war was modified as Indo-Pak war without giving proper exposure to facts. Bangladesh was born from the war between India and Pakistan ! Thats the terrible blunder. So any person who knows the facts will be disappointed. As we know from the previous review Sheikh Mujibur Rahman who declared the independence of Bangladesh in 26 March, 1971 and after that the war began between East and West Pakistan. East Pakistan later became Bangladesh, a sovereign state. Along with 90000 soldiers Pakistan army surrendered to the commander in chief of India and Bangladesh joint forces.The movie violated the sovereign feeling of Bangladeshi peoples. I'd rather prefer to watch "The Busturd Child" (2013) Hindi drama film directed by Mrityunjay Devvrat showing and emphasizing the real events that took place during 70's.
53 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It was Bangladesh's liberation war against Pakistan
anisurrahman19 February 2014
The movie starts with a story line; "....Bangladesh is born as Pakistan surrender on December 16 at the end of the Indo-Pak War". I strongly condemn this matter. It should be edited without any delay. Me & all the Bangladeshi people respect those Indians who sacrificed their lives in the Liberation War of Bangladesh in 1971 and we remember the contribution of Indian govt. at that time. But it doesn't change the history.

Bangladesh born in a long turmoil ending up a 9 month long war against Pakistan Army in 1971 but the liberation story starts far more from 1952 by language movement. India joined with their military forces in 3rd December 1971 and the Pakistan Army surrendered on 16th December 1971. Meanwhile India supported Bangladesh by restoring refugees, food, finance, arms and with many other things.

This is movie review page where I am opposing one specific content of the movie which is terribly hurting an entire nation. Yash Raj films still didn't respond in this matter where as Bangladeshi's are strongly opposing it specially the youth society.

The mindset should be changed and the history should not be presented wrongly through a movie.
85 out of 116 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bollywood movies- shitty as always
ashiksiles20 February 2014
I don't know how Bollywood directors or story writers do their movies. They even don't know the true history of 1971. Every time they make any movie, there will be hundreds of mistakes of story plot, logic etc. Bollywood earn money only by their huge population and some illiterate people of South Asian countries. By the way, about this movie, it is not an informative movie at all, they've changed the history of Liberation War of Bangladesh'71, which is so much humiliating for Bangladeshi people. It was not "India-Pakistan war", Bangladeshi people started their liberation war on 26th March and India came to help them on 3rd December of 1971. The movie also describes that Bangladeshi people are thieves and they are so desperate to get Indian citizenship which is not even close at all. Please, do some research before making a movie. Please :)
16 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointed
zhsaad-pharma19 February 2014
I was very interested in this movie after watching it's trailer. And especially because of the producer it was coming from. I know that, it is never wise or ethical to write a review after watching half of a movie; but I acknowledge that, I am doing that wrong thing now. Indian people have a lot of misconception about the history of Bangladesh. This is not very welcome, but this is understandable. Common people are not expected to have knowledge about the history of a foreign country. But when one of them is making a movie on that history. he simply can not do the same mistake. And from this well-known producer, this kind of negligence is never acceptable. The wrong history presented in this movie is definitely a punishable crime; and movie lovers, Do not believe a single word of this movie about the history of Indian subcontinent. Thanks.
28 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Manipulating Bangladesh's Liberation War history
lunaislam19 February 2014
Bangladeshi people fought long 9 months for their independents in 1971. It was a war between Bangladesh and Pakistan. Indian Government helped Bangladesh during this was, but it was NEVER a fight between India & Pakistan only!! This movie manipulate the history of Bangladesh liberation war and disrespect the blood of 3 million freedom fighter who gave their life for independent Bangladesh!!

Indian movie makers must study history when they working with something like this.It is completely unexpected from a renowned banner like Yash Raj Films! However the first sequence of the movie put me in such a bad mood that I could not even enjoy the rest at all.
19 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Misrepresentation of the history of 1971 Liberation War
kazi-swapan19 February 2014
It has misrepresented the history of 1971 liberation war which happened between freedom fighters of then east Pakistan who wanted a country of their own and Pakistan army where freedom fighters won the battle and BANGLADESH was born. Pakistan army killed 3 million people in Bangladesh. Of course then Indian govt. helped freedom fighters a lot and at the very end of the war, they sent their army to help freedom fighters on request of govt. of Bangladesh. But that doesn't mean the war was between India & Pakistan.

Production house like Yash Raj Films should be more careful about this type of misrepresentation of well established history.
53 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Most disrespectful, offensive and humiliating to the history of Bangladesh.
sabbirselim11119 February 2014
The funny thing is, in this movie they represented the war of 1971 as the 3rd war between India and Pakistan in which India won gloriously which resulted a new country in the world map called Bangladesh. It's like Bangladesh is a by product of their war.

This is a YashRaj Films Production, one of most reputed movie production house of India. In this movie they humiliated and twitched the history of the freedom war of their neighboring country called Bangladesh. In the war of 1971 Bangladesh fought a bloody war against the Pakistani Armies for 9 months to achieve their freedom. 3 Million people died. two hundred thousand woman got raped. Pakistan was both Bangladesh and India's common enemy. That's why to save their own skin, they helped the Bangladeshi's to achieve freedom.
19 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Please don't watch the movie, has false information about Bangladesh liberation war
xavier-sandy20 February 2014
Please don't watch the movie, it gave wrong information about the Liberation of Bangladesh. I still don't get it how this movie got permission to be released. Why Indians need to give false information about us we still don't get it. Are we enemies of India? have we ever caused any losses to them? Or simply they are jealous about us? What kind of fun they get by falsifying a glorious history of ours? They don't know how much we are hurt about the news of releasing the movie ... THEY JUST Don't KNOW HOW TO RESPECT OTHERS, OR HOW TO TAKE RESPECT FROM OTHERS. I JUST SIMPLY WANNA KNOW WHEN THEY WILL LEARN TO CALL THEMSELVES AS EDUCATED PEOPLE. THEY ARE NOT WORTHY OF ANY RESPECT AFTERALL.
18 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.