Attack on Titan (2013– )
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 38 items
Sex & Nudity
- Ymir's flashback contains a scene of her having no clothes on. She is only seen from behind. This scene goes on for about 30 seconds.
- In the first episode of season three, an older man creepily gropes a teenage boy, thinking he's a girl, and asks "her" to moan for him. The boy is very distressed and almost bursts into tears. Nothing further happens, though. It's a relatively brief but uncomfortable scene.
- A girl tears her skirt up to bandage a boy's arm, which ends up showing off her thighs a little and makes the boy a little flustered
- In the OVA episode "A Choice with No Regrets: Part One", two men are chasing down a young woman and talk about who's first to "have fun with the brat", and how a brat like her doesn't offer much. The girl is rescued.
- Two characters nearly kiss
- It is revealed that one character's mother was a prostitute.
- In a flashback episode, three men kidnap a 9-year-old girl, planning to sell her as a sex slave on the black market. They are stopped.
- Titans, the main antagonists, are giant humanoid creatures, mostly of male physiology, always shown naked but they have NO sexual or digestive organs so there's nothing truly offensive. The only female of the species is skinless, so besides not having any genitalia like all the others, she has no nipples either.
Violence & Gore
- Character also get into long and heated arguments. Sometimes these escalate into fights. Human vs Human fights are becoming more frequent as the series progresses. These can get quite graphic in nature. Almost more graphic when they fight titans.
- Early on, Multiple characters are in a freight elevator lowered to shoot titans in the eyes with shotguns. When they shoot them it creates a flashing sensation from the guns since it the scene is in the dark. Such things may trigger seizures to sensitive viewers.
- A chained-up main character is bloodily beaten in a short scene.
- A titan drags its face and stomach on the ground. The aftermath is shown while other characters take on the titan.
- A woman tries to perform CPR on a man. It is implied that the lower half of his body is missing. Some blood is seen (not the aftermath) as another character pleads for her to stop.
- In the first episode of season two, a man is cornered by Titans, who then proceed to tear his limbs off and kill him as he screams in agony. The camera doesn't cut away as quickly as it does for some other deaths. It's an extremely disturbing scene.
- Season three gets even more intense and disturbing than the preceding seasons. Notable incidents: in a flashback, a child is mauled to death when a cruel military officer sics his dogs on her (this is shown in a couple of freeze-frame images, not fully animated). A character sacrifices himself, allowing an enemy to burn him to death so the enemy's attention will be diverted and the character's friend can get the upper hand. Other sympathetic characters die in gruesome ways.
- The seventh episode has a sudden and disturbing suicide. A man is calmly cleaning his rifle as his companions huddle in terror of the Titans. Still calm, he deliberately places the rifle in his mouth and pulls the trigger. The camera cuts away to show blood splatter on the face of a woman sitting next to him.
- This show is extremely bloody in general, but there are some episodes with very little gore and violence. However all of them are quite intense or disturbing.
- Characters are sometimes bloodily killed by others, from being chopped with axes, stabbed with knives, or slashed with swords.
- Occasionally bloody decapitations of Titans. We see them regenerating their bodies a few times.
- Some people are eaten by the Titans, but the act is mostly done off-screen. You'll see the moment right before a person is eaten, then usually brief blood spray.
- Characters can lose limbs during the more graphic scenes, but it's shown rarely.
- The main character often bites hard into his own hand until blood is drawn.
- The sub contains frequent language including "ass", "damn", "hell', "bastard", "son of a bitch", "piss", and infrequent uses of "shit" and "f*ck." The subs do vary depending on what site you watch on; some fan subtitles have very little language.
- The English dub doesn't have any uses of "f*ck", but still contains frequent language, particularly, more use of "son of a bitch" than in the subtitles. Starting in season two, "goddamn" is also used. Other words like "hell", "damn", "bastard" and "ass" are used regularly. Around 7-10 uses of "shit".
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- One character is considered an alcoholic, drinking whiskey for most of the times he's on-screen. He isn't on-screen much, and sometimes, his drinking is played off as comedic effect, so this isn't much of a problem.
- Infrequent drinking in some episodes. Not too much.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- Season 2 as just as violent and intense as Season 1. With very many disturbing scenes occurring. As usual, it cuts away before it gets too graphic.
- Certain characters act in rather disturbing manners. While these scenes don't occur as often as you'd think it's still very unsettling when they do.
- Season 3 introduces weapons that resemble pistols. You will see people getting their heads blown off with these pistols, the biggest contender being the first episode. A majority of the deaths are off-screen, but the corpses of the victims are shown.
- A lot of the characters scream when they're angry or in distress. These screams are very frightening since some of them happen very suddenly.
- In an episode a Hairy Titan is shown. This may be disturbing to some viewers
- Episode 49 post credit scene is pretty creepy and disturbing
- The plot of the anime of titans that they eat and kill people and destroy cities it's quite disturbing.
- The show can be bleak at times. Moments of victory are usually undermined by subsequent defeats, and are often bittersweet with too many casualties to be considered a "win".
- The Titans have grotesque appearances that can frighten viewers, with the most grotesque one being the Colossal Titan, as he appears as a gargantuan skinless and excessively muscular goblin-like humanoid creature with a very angry look on his face and very scary-looking teeth.
- When compared to the source material, the series isn't nearly as bad with the intensity still the same but for some viewers it would be best to watch this as the manga is very frightening.
Violence & Gore
- In the first episode, the main character's mother is eaten alive by a Titan. Lots of blood are visible flying out everywhere as the main character watches on horror. Very shocking and disturbing.
- Main character states killing entire people in other countries is alright if it's for your own good/ your race, which he defines as freedom.