Attack on Titan (2013–2023)
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 111 items
Sex & Nudity
- There are a few mild references to sex in the show.
- In a flashback episode, three men kidnap a girl. It is insinuated that their plan is to sell her as a sex slave on the black market. They are stopped before they ever get to do anything.
- A girl tears her skirt up to bandage a boy's arm, which ends up showing off her thighs a little and makes the boy a little flustered.
- It is insinuated that one character's mother was a prostitute.
- A woman is shown nude from the back for a few seconds, in an entirely non-sexual context.
- Apart from the Titans, the show is very clean when it comes to this.
- A male character is seen naked from behind
- In a extremely brief flashback a fully nude woman from side Is shown
- A man emerges from the belly of a Titan and he is completely naked, full back nudity, no frontal nudity.
- A female character is seen naked for a short amount of time. Only back nudity, no frontal nudity. The scene is not meant to be sexual.
- A slave owner said that he shall reward a female slave with his seed. The next scene shows that she's pregnant.
- All of the Titans do not wear clothes. While they are naked, they do not possess any reproductive organs. A female Titan has noticeable breasts but no nipples.
Violence & Gore
- A chained-up main character is brutally beaten in a short scene. Tons of blood splashes and sprays after each punch.
- A titan drags its face and stomach on the ground. The incredibly graphic aftermath is shown while other characters take on the titan. This includes the Titans face opened up exposing bones, organs, tissue, brains, and blood. The Titans entire chest and abdomen are also are ripped open exposing all kinds of bones, entrails, organs, guts, blood etc.
- A woman tries to perform CPR on a man. It is implied that the lower half of his body is missing. Some blood is seen (not the aftermath) as another character pleads for her to stop.
- In Season 2, a man is cornered by Titans, who then proceed to graphically tear his limbs off and kill him as he screams in agony. The camera doesn't cut away as quickly as it does for some other deaths. It's an extremely bloody and disturbing scene.
- Season 3 gets even more intense and disturbing than the preceding seasons. Notable incidents: in a flashback, a child is mauled to death when a cruel military officer sics his dogs on her (this is shown in a couple of freeze-frame images, not fully animated). Other sympathetic characters die in gruesome ways.
- There is a sudden and disturbing suicide. A man is calmly cleaning his rifle as his companions huddle in terror of the Titans. Still calm, he deliberately places the rifle in his mouth and pulls the trigger. The camera cuts away to show blood splatter on the face of a woman sitting next to him.
- In Season 3, a teen boy shoots a human in the face at point blank range to save his comrade. He then starts throwing up and crying because it was the first time he ever killed someone.
- In Season 3 a bloated titan gets blown up from the inside and all of its organs and intestines fall out. Very graphic and disturbing.
- When violence occurs, there is at some points no gore, but there is tons of blood.
- Most of the deaths are Titans, but when a Titan eats a human, it is extremely brutal and disturbing.
- A horde of Titans charge at another Titan and start to graphically tear the Titan apart. Tons and tons of blood is shown gushing and spraying along with several glimpses of bones and internal organs. They rip apart it's head and we see the Titans head get ripped apart and squashed into a gory mess.
- Season 4 showcases some graphic war violence, including soldiers getting shot with lots of blood spray, corpses with missing limbs on the floor in pools of blood, and some soldiers getting eaten by Titans. Gore and blood sprays and splashes when soldiers are eaten by Titans and when Titans get shot by anti-titan cannons.
- The characters' faces are often covered in blood when they are in a fight.
- A man is riding on a horse, when his arm is bitten off by a titan. The bloody stump is later seen.
- In Season 4, a man is shot in the head in front of one of the characters, later, we see his body on the floor, with his blood and brain matter spilling out of his head.
- Episode-specific details have been deleted. Only provide series or season details. Episode specific items should be added to the episode.
- In Season 4, the appearance of a Titan triggers a large explosion, destroying a large portion of a city. We later see them walking through the carnage and get a good look at many innocent people either dead or crushed under debris.
- Eren and The Female Titan have two extremely brutal fight scenes. One is in a forest and another is in a city. Both deliver extremely powerful and brutal blows to one another ending with blood splashing and bones getting crushed.
- Eren gets his head smashed in multiple times. His jaw is broken and his head is very mangled.
- Eren punches The Female Titan and ends up graphically snapping off one of her arms.
- Numerous innocent civilians are killed throughout the series, men, women and children alike. They are often crushed by falling debris from buildings and we see lots of blood on the ground. These scenes are meant to display the casualties of war.
- Gabi bashes a soldier over the head with a brick. The act is mostly offscreen by we see the very bloody aftermath.
- A 12 year old boy is trampled to death, you see his head split open and covered in blood
- A man cuts of another man's toes with a sword. He then proceeds to continuously slash the other man's lower body as the other man screams in agony. Lots of blood is seen. Very graphic.
- A carriage is blown up by a device called a "thunder-spear" We see two men fly out of the explosion visibly severely injured. There is a very disturbing cut of a horse on fire and wailing in pain as a result of the explosion.
- In Season 4, a woman shoots a man point blank in the head with a gun. Blood pours out of his head, and it's very graphic, but we don't see much of the aftermath.
- A woman stabs a man in the neck. Somewhat graphic.
- A young boys head is smashed in by a wine bottle, and blood flies everywhere. This may be disturbing
- A mans head is blown off by a rifle and flies through the air while blood is going everywhere.
- A Titan is repeatedly attacked before its body could transform, which is disturbing in appearance. It's face is disfigured, showing bones and guts, and is incredibly bloody and frightening.
- This show is full of extremely graphic and bloody violence, both containing explicit sword and gun action. There are several prolonged and incredibly brutal battle sequences where humans are eaten and Titans getting their napes, heads, and limbs cut off with extremely gory results.
- Characters are sometimes bloodily killed by others, from being chopped with axes, stabbed with knives, or slashed with swords.
- Occasionally bloody decapitations of Titans. We see them regenerating their bodies a few times. Several of these sequences are quite graphic.
- When people get eaten by Titans, it is extremely graphic and gory. People are often shown screaming and begging for their lives and we briefly see their heads get squished by the Titans' jaws. No gore is shown. but there is usually a ton of blood.
- Titans are killed when the back of their neck takes damage. As such, people are constantly stabbing or slashing the back of Titan's necks with lots of gushing blood.
- "Sons of the devil's whore" is said a few times in Season 4.
- The English dub has no uses of "fuck", but still contains frequent language, particularly, more use of "son of a bitch" than in the Japanese version. Starting in Season 2, "goddamn" is also used. Other words like "hell", "damn", "bastard" and "ass" and "shit" are used regularly.
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- One character is considered an alcoholic, drinking whiskey for several times he's on-screen.
- Some characters are seen smoking cigarettes.
- A group of men are seen clearly drunk.
- In season 4, one of the main themes is an islands alcohol supply being poisoned. There is a lot of discussion of alcohol and on screen drinking.
- Infrequent drinking in some episodes.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- Season 2 is just as violent and intense as Season 1. With many disturbing scenes occurring
- Certain characters act in rather disturbing manners. While these scenes don't occur as often as you'd think it's still very unsettling when they do.
- Season 3 introduces weapons that resemble pistols. You will see people getting their heads blown off with these pistols, the biggest contender being the first episode. A majority of the deaths are offscreen, but the corpses of the victims are shown.
- While "Attack on Titan" has many fantastical elements, it's still rather violent and bloody.
- The fact that most of the people dying are only young teenagers (14-16) is very upsetting.
- The whole show is the definition of being frightening and intense followed by several sequences of graphic violence.
- Suicide is hinted and talked about a lot.
- Most of the battles in the series are long and drawn out and start with little to no warning.
- When character are angry they will let out loud and long screams. This is very frightening especially when the characters Levi and Eren scream.
- In Season 4, Eren's titan's appearance looks significantly more creepier and disturbing than what it looked like in the previous seasons. His appearance may frighten some viewers.
- The scene where Eren rips apart the Female Titans body is extremely violent and savage.
- The first half of season 3 is the least intense or the most lighthearted of the series in it's entirety but still has some dark moments.
- The main villains of the series hide in plain sight among the characters for the first season and their eventual betrayal will catch viewers off guard. Their betrayal is sudden, shocking and emotional.
- The characters that are titans will speak while in their titan form. These voices especially in the english dub are very creepy and menacing.
- The whole series is extremely intense and incredibly bloody from beginning to end, which maybe highly disturbing for some.
- The main character gets mad at another while in jail so he threatens her and carries her while his eyes glow and there is lighting this scene is quite scary
- A character is force-fed their own feces by a machine they're bound to.
- 100s of Survey Corps members lead a suicide charge, all while terrified and watching their friends die gruesome, brutal deaths. This scene goes on for a while and is incredibly brutal and dark, which may be triggering or frightening to some viewers.
- Rated TV-MA For Disturbing/Scary Images, Blood, Graphic/Intense Violence, Sexual Reference, Partial Nudity, Smoking and Language.
- The fact that the titans eat people is disturbing in itself however it's more disturbing that for a while it's left unknown as to why they do. After finding out the real reason it is shocking and a bit sad but still disturbing nonetheless.
- The show can be bleak at times. Moments of victory are usually undermined by subsequent defeats, and are often bittersweet with too many casualties to be considered a "win".
- The Titans have grotesque appearances that can frighten viewers, with the most grotesque one being the Colossal Titan, as he appears as a gargantuan skinless and excessively muscular goblin-like humanoid creature with a very angry look on his face and very scary-looking teeth.
Violence & Gore
- In the first episode, the main character's mother is eaten by a Titan after getting her back snapped. Lots of blood are visible flying out everywhere as the main character watches on horror. Very shocking and disturbing.
- In Season 3, a teen boy is severely burned to death to act as a distraction to save his friend. He is burned so bad his skin turns pitch black & bloody, he lost all his hair and lips, and his clothes are burned off as well (except for his pants.) His body is seen many times throughout the next episode. More sad and shocking than disturbing.
- In a flashback sequence in Season 3, it shows innocent people (including children) getting injected with a serum that will turn them into a titan and they get pushed off a tall wall. More sad and shocking than disturbing.
- It is shown that the main character ate his own father while he was a titan to gain his powers.
- Reiner is heavily injured to the point where even though it's cleverly hidden that his head is clearly missing. He's shown later regenerating and his skull, eyes and brain are seen for a brief but disturbing moment.
- Eren cuts open the Colossal Titan's neck and violently pulls Bertholdt out of the titan. Bertholdt's arms and legs are missing and blood is seen flying. Bertholdt is shown in this state for an extended period of time.
- Armin transforms into a Titan and eats Bertholdt. This scene is also quite graphic as we see his head get squished and tons of bloody flying.
- The Beast Titan slaughters Commander Erwin's army by throwing large rocks at them. Their bodies are briefly shown exploding with blood along with their horses. This scene is quite emotional because every single soldier is charging to their death.
- Captain Levi attacks The Beast Titan in an extremely graphic and violent fashion. His eyes are cut out with copious amounts of blood spraying and gushing. His arms and legs are violently sliced off with tons and tons blood spraying and gushing. Levi then cuts into his body and slashes his nape repeatedly with fountains of blood spraying. Zekes body is then cut out, both his arms and legs are missing, bloody stumps are shown, he then has a sword jammed into his mouth. This scene is extremely intense and incredibly bloody.
- Eren transforms into a Titan while he's under a building with hundreds of people living in it. As he transforms, the building explodes implying that he killed hundreds of innocent people. A man is cut in half with tons of blood flying through the air, and he is about to be eaten.
- In Season 4, many people are crushed by flying debris, this is all shown graphically with blood and gore. One example includes a side character named Zofia, who is crushed, and only her legs are visible, while the rest of her body is crushed under a rock.
- In Season 4, the main character (as a Titan) is brutally impaled by a spiral made by the "Warhammer" Titan, we see lots of blood come out, and the main character is fine. (since he is in Titan form)
- The main character's Titan is shot multiple times by cannons with lots of blood exploding and it is then decapitated after the Warhammer Titan uses a giant crystal hammer to smash his head off, though the main character is un-injured in human form, we still see a few disturbing shots of his Titan with it's head missing.
- In Season 4, Levi slashes The Beast Titans neck, and we see a lot blood splash from The Beast Titans nape. A grenade is then dropped into the wound and an explosion of blood is visible. It is very quick but still somewhat disturbing. This entire attack happens very suddenly.
- In Season 4, The Cart Titan gets struck with many thunder spears, killing all of it's machine gun operators, and blowing up the titan itself. We see the aftermath of the Titan with its eye falling out of the socket and in a giant pool of blood, along with it's holder having blood all over her face and body. It is also implied that she has a graphic hole in her stomach.
- Eren tries to bite into the Warhammer Titans crystal. He ends up breaking his whole mouth. Half of his teeth are missing. His mouth is also very bloody.
- Gabi shoots Sasha in the stomach. Blood sprays and she falls. Blood pools beneath her corpse, it is later revealed that she died. Intense and sad but not too disturbing
- Eren attacks The Warhammer Titan while it's transforming smashing its head into a gory mess
- Eren transforms into a Titan while he's inside of another Titan. The Titan explodes and we see massive amounts of blood and gore splash all over lots of buildings. Eren stomps on the Titans corpse several times.
- Eren gets his head decapitated while he's in Titan form by The Female Titan.
- The Female Titan has her skull crushed by Erens Titan. Blood splashes and sprays everywhere.
- A major character gets bitten in half by a Titan that killed the main characters mother, and the rest of his remains are devoured. Copious amounts of blood splash all over the Titan.
- Mikasa watches both of her parents get brutally massacred. Her father is stabbed in the stomach and lots of blood gushed out. Her mother is cut down with an axe. Tons and tons of blood gushes from her neck and two massive blood puddles form beneath her body.
- Darius Zackly is killed by a bomb implanted in a chair. We see what's remaining of his body when it flys out of the building as a result of the explosion. It is implied that the entire lower part of his body is missing.
- In their second fight, Levi blows up Zeke's Titan with thunderspears. Zeke proceeds to fly out of his Titan and in his human form, resembles a zombie. He coughs up a large amount of blood.
- We see the aftermath of a carriage explosion in Season 4. A man is missing his entire lower body, but what remains of his torso appears charred, so not too much gore. However some moments later, a Titan rips open it's stomach. We see it's entrails briefly spill out as it puts the injured man in it's body.
- Eren gets his legs bitten off by the jaw Titan. We see lots of blood, but it's nothing too disturbing.
- In season 4, Eren in titan form repeatedly slams another smaller titan into the ground whilst also tearing of its limbs
- In Season 4 Episode 19, Gabi Braun shoots the main protagonist's head with the Anti-Titan rifle. Which sends his head flying towards Zeke.
- In the latest episode (87), Mikasa, Connie, Jean and others slay each and every Yeagerists and they are all killed in a brutal way with all the blood shown flowing. Even a fountain of blood was shown.
- The main character often bites hard into his own hand until blood is drawn to turn into a Titan. When it doesn't work he bites down on his hand aggressively with a lot of blood gushing out each time he bites.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- In Season 4, the main character starts to kill hundreds of men women and children. It should be noted that these people are in no way innocent.
- Sasha's sudden death in Season 4 is extremely sad, and everyone tries to save her, it is a very sad scene. What's even more disturbing is that she was shot by a kid.
- Erens character arc is quite shocking and disturbing. As the show progresses, his taste for violence and revenge increases more and more. In the final season he becomes a violent mass murderer and believes that the only way for everyone he loves and his home to be safe is to slaughter all of life beyond the walls of Paradis.
- Reiner attempts suicide, he shoves a gun in his mouth and is about to press the trigger when he is reminded of children he cares for. This stops him, but the scene may be quite triggering to some people.