Attack on Titan (2013– )
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 54 items
Sex & Nudity
- There is never any sex, nudity, or "fan service" in this show. There are however, occasional non-explicit references to sex slavery and prostitution.
- In a flashback episode, three men kidnap a 9-year-old girl. They mention their plans to sell her as a sex slave on the black market. They are stopped and never get to do anything.
- A girl tears her skirt up to bandage a boy's arm, which ends up showing off her thighs a little and makes the boy a little flustered.
- A female character is shown naked but only from the back. No nudity shown and the scene is not meant to be sexual.
- It is revealed that one character's mother was a prostitute.
- An older man creepily gropes a teenage boy, thinking he's a girl, and asks "her" to moan for him. The boy is very distressed and almost bursts into tears. Nothing further happens, though. It's a relatively brief but uncomfortable scene.
- A female character is considered very beautiful like a goddess and all the other characters have a crush on her and get flustered whenever she's around.
- In an OVA it shows one of the female characters in the shower, but it only shows her head and shoulders. The scene is not meant to be sexual at all.
- Titans, the main antagonists, are giant humanoid creatures, mostly of male physiology, always shown naked but they have NO sexual or digestive organs so there's nothing truly offensive. The only female of the species is skinless, so besides not having any genitalia like all the others, she has no nipples either.
Violence & Gore
- A chained-up main character is brutally beaten in a short scene. Tons of blood splashed and sprays after each punch.
- A titan drags its face and stomach on the ground. The aftermath is shown while other characters take on the titan.
- A woman tries to perform CPR on a man. It is implied that the lower half of his body is missing. Some blood is seen (not the aftermath) as another character pleads for her to stop.
- In the first episode of Season 2, a man is cornered by Titans, who then proceed to tear his limbs off and kill him as he screams in agony. The camera doesn't cut away as quickly as it does for some other deaths. It's an extremely disturbing scene.
- Season 3 gets even more intense and disturbing than the preceding seasons. Notable incidents: in a flashback, a child is mauled to death when a cruel military officer sics his dogs on her (this is shown in a couple of freeze-frame images, not fully animated). A character sacrifices himself, allowing an enemy to burn him to death so the enemy's attention will be diverted and the character's friend can get the upper hand. Other sympathetic characters die in gruesome ways.
- The seventh episode has a sudden and disturbing suicide. A man is calmly cleaning his rifle as his companions huddle in terror of the Titans. Still calm, he deliberately places the rifle in his mouth and pulls the trigger. The camera cuts away to show blood splatter on the face of a woman sitting next to him.
- In season 3, a teen boy shoots a man in the face at point blank range to save his comrade. He then starts throwing up and crying because it was the first time he ever killed someone.
- In season 3 a bloated titan gets blown up from the inside and all of its organs and intestines fall out. Very graphic and disturbing.
- Season 3 is mainly focused on killing other humans rather than titans.
- In a flashback sequence in season 3, it shows innocent people (including children) getting injected with a serum that will turn them into a titan and they get pushed off a tall wall. More sad and shocking than disturbing.
- Lots of characters think about committing suicide, only 1 character does. He puts a rifle in his mouth and shoots himself in front of everyone.
- Most of the deaths are titans, but when a Titan eats a human, it usually cuts away.
- A character gets his ear cut off (blink and you miss it)
- This show is extremely brutal and bloody in general, but there are some episodes with very little gore and violence. However all of them are quite intense or disturbing.
- Characters are sometimes bloodily killed by others, from being chopped with axes, stabbed with knives, or slashed with swords.
- Occasionally bloody decapitations of Titans. We see them regenerating their bodies a few times.
- Some people are eaten by the Titans, but the act is mostly done off-screen. You'll see the moment right before a person is eaten, then usually brief blood spray.
- Characters can lose limbs during the more graphic scenes, but it's shown rarely.
- The main character often bites hard into his own hand until blood is drawn to turn into a Titan. When it doesn't work he bites down on his hand aggressively with a lot of blood gushing out each time he bites.
- The sub contains frequent language including "ass", "damn", "hell', "bastard", "son of a bitch", "piss", and infrequent uses of "shit" and "fuck." The subs do vary depending on what site you watch on; some fan subtitles have very little language.
- The English dub doesn't have any uses of "f*ck", but still contains frequent language, particularly, more use of "son of a bitch" than in the subtitles. Starting in season two, "goddamn" is also used. Other words like "hell", "damn", "bastard" and "ass" are used regularly. Around 7-10 uses of "shit".
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- One character is considered an alcoholic, drinking whiskey for most of the times he's on-screen. He isn't on-screen much, and sometimes, his drinking is played off as comedic effect, so this isn't much of a problem.
- A character is smoking a cigarette whenever he's on screen.
- Infrequent drinking in some episodes. Not too much.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- Season 2 s just as violent and intense as Season 1. With many disturbing scenes occurring. As usual, it cuts away before it gets too graphic.
- Certain characters act in rather disturbing manners. While these scenes don't occur as often as you'd think it's still very unsettling when they do.
- Season 3 introduces weapons that resemble pistols. You will see people getting their heads blown off with these pistols, the biggest contender being the first episode. A majority of the deaths are offscreen, but the corpses of the victims are shown.
- A lot of the characters scream when they're angry or in distress. These screams are very frightening since some of them happen very suddenly.
- Episode 49 post credit scene is pretty creepy and disturbing
- This show is incredibly gruesome even for an anime series.
- The fact that most of the people dying are only young teenagers (14-16) is very upsetting.
- The whole show is the definition of being frightening and intense.
- Suicide is hinted and and talked about a lot.
- The screams of characters especially when they're angry will frighten viewers.
- The plot of the anime of titans that they eat and kill people and destroy cities it's quite disturbing.
- The show can be bleak at times. Moments of victory are usually undermined by subsequent defeats, and are often bittersweet with too many casualties to be considered a "win".
- The Titans have grotesque appearances that can frighten viewers, with the most grotesque one being the Colossal Titan, as he appears as a gargantuan skinless and excessively muscular goblin-like humanoid creature with a very angry look on his face and very scary-looking teeth.
- When compared to the source material, the series isn't nearly as bad with the intensity still the same but for some viewers it would be best to watch this as the manga is very frightening.
Violence & Gore
- In the first episode, the main character's mother is eaten alive by a Titan. Lots of blood are visible flying out everywhere as the main character watches on horror. Very shocking and disturbing.
- At the end of season 3, a teen boy is severely burned to death to act as a distraction to save his friend. He is burned so bad his skin turns pitch black & bloody, he lost all his hair and lips, and his clothes are burned off as well (except for his pants.)His body is seen many times throughout the next episode. More sad and shocking than disturbing.
- It is hinted at several times that the main character accidentally ate his own father while he was a titan.
- At the end of season 1 character freezes herself in a crystal. No blood or gore at all and she's still alive.
- Reiner is shown regenerating and organs are seen. Brief but disturbing.
- Eren cuts open the Colossal Titan's neck and violently pulls Bertholdt out of the titan. Bertholdt's arms and legs are missing and blood is seen flying. Bertholdt is shown in this state for an extended period of time.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- There are many emotionally intense scenes, mainly when it comes to the death of a character. Marco's death scene is specifically hard to watch.