A Million Ways to Die in the West (2014) Poster

Don't Follow The Sheep On Here
carlcasso14 June 2014
OK, I've signed up to IMDb just to comment on this Movie. First Off I'm not A Seth McFarlane Fan. I don't like Family Guy and I Thought Ted was Childish.( But I am over 40) So when I read the reviews on here I had to go and see this movie for myself. Nothing could be that bad (I thought): And I was right. There is nothing wrong with this Movie. Its never going to win an award but I don't imagine they thought it would. Its funny, the characters are likable and the actors are excellent.

It would appear that somebody wrote a bad review on here and as usual, The Sheep jumped on The band Wagon.

This is as good a comedy as any I've seen in the last few years and better than a lot I've seen in the last ten years. The story was good and kept me entertained throughout the Movie. It was crude in places but its Seth McFarlane Folks ! What did you expect?.

I was glad I went to see this and came out with a smile on my face. I understand that maybe Ted was aimed at an age group a lot younger than me, but I just didn't like it. However, I did like this movie. As I said at the start, don't follow The Sheep. Give this a go and you wont be disappointed.
310 out of 452 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Simply disappointing
Quickie Review:

After the massive success of Ted, director Seth MacFarlane returns to make another comedy feature film, in which he is also the star. His character, Albert, lives in the West where everything and everyone is deadly. He loses his love Louise (Amanda Seyfried) to Foy (Neil Patrick Harris). With the help of gun-slinging Anna (Charlize Theron) he must duel Foy in a gunfight to win his love back. A Million Ways to Die in the West, is a satirical comedy western that unfortunately does not deliver consistent quality of jokes. You will chuckle a few times sure, but as a whole this is not MacFarlane's best work. Quite frankly this a poor movie that has been advertised in the trailers with all the best jokes.

Full Review:

I enjoy MacFarlane's work in Family Guy and I especially loved Ted. So going in I was quite excited to see A Million Ways to Die in the West. However, by the second half I realized I was actually bored. It pains to me to say this because I really like Seth MacFarlane's sense of humor, but this was just not a good movie.

This is the first time we see MacFarlane in a live action lead role. We know he is good with voice work for animated characters but as a live action actor he's not at the same level of quality. He actually feels out of place, it's more like he is in some skit show. In fact, the whole movie feels like a series of skits, each scene is just set up for a gag. It gets so lost in making all these gags work that there is no coherent flow to the story. This makes an already 2 hour long movie feel longer because you just don't know where it's going, and more importantly the jokes aren't even that funny.

This brings me to the biggest let down of this movie, the jokes. Yes of course there are few chuckles here and there, but even the worst comedies has those. At no point was I bursting with laughter. Later on in the movie, it starts to rely on the dick, fart and poop jokes. Sure, once in a while I can enjoy those jokes, but if the whole scene is depending on that to get some laughter, then I'm switching my brain off because clearly the writers have too. You know they ran out of ideas when they resort to the laxative gag. Dear Hollywood, stop it with the laxative joke, it was funny when I was kid.

Apart from the scenes from the trailer, there is one cameo and a bar fight that I quite enjoyed watching. I think anyone going in with big expectations based on Ted will be sorely disappointed. There are definitely worse comedies out there than this. Still, considering the team and cast involved, A Million Ways to Die in the West should have been so much better.

Check out more on my movie review blog The Stub Collector: http://thestubcollector.wordpress.com/
212 out of 332 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Deserves a much better rating than what people have so far given
dud_les5 June 2014
I'll start off by saying I'm a huge Seth Macfarlane fan. I love Family Guy and American Dad (Cleveland show has its moments too!) Ted was also a great film in my opinion so I hoped this one would live up to my expectations and it did not disappoint. I feel it got a low ranking mainly from people who don't understand the sarcastic humour that was obviously apparent throughout. I thought the film was incredibly witty, extremely funny with constant laugh out loud moments and it also had a decent plot with some great acting from Seth himself (who would have known he was just as great in front of the camera?) The great cast showcases to me that people could see great potential in the script and all actors involved really held their own in making this film a brilliant comedy. PS this is the first review I've ever written and I registered specifically to help make the rating of this film more acceptable.
81 out of 129 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Not that bad
This movie has gotten sh*t from a lot of reviewers. Still I have no clue why. It wasn't that bad. Sure, there's the recycling gag thingy people complain about, there's potty humor and swears. But this is the thing; it's not intended to be a classy, heartfelt comedy. It's just a very funny and immature slapstick comedy. It's clear that Seth McFarlanes humor isn't classy, clever or original. However, he does manage to create a somewhat funny movie that can be enjoyed. Now, I like stupid, silly movies. I don't like cleverly written comedies. So, If you are a fan of Family Guy or Ted's humor, you will probably like this movie.

A lot of reviewers tend to review this movie as like it is trying to be an Oscar movie. It isn't. All the actors did a great job (even the small rolls), the jokes weren't all over the place & it was actually quite enjoyable. They're having fun, we're having fun. Nothing wrong with that.

I don't understand why people go into movies like these expecting them to be some kind of comical masterpiece when the trailer was clear enough about it just being another random & dumb slapstick comedy. People are stupid enough to go watch it knowing what type of movie this is and expecting it to be something it's not.

So bottom line: If you like stupid & silly comedies with racist jokes & stereotypes, go watch this one. If you are a typical fan of the humor in Family Guy, South Park etc you will enjoy. There's plenty of different kinds of jokes in here. None of them classy, but funny. Toilet humor, foul mouths, racist stereotypes, offensive parodies & a few references that will be totally unexpected. If you're a fan of cleverly written scripts & wants to watch a classy comedy film; well, this movie is a total waste of time for you. I watched this expecting it to be really dumb, but enjoyable and it surpassed my expectations. The plot is simple, the jokes aren't clever but funny, the actors are doing a more than well job. I couldn't ask for more. This one deserves at least a 7 star rating. I found this movie much funnier than TED, which also was pretty dumb.

I rarely listen to what reviewers say about a movie before watching it first. You should do the same and judge for yourself. I just don't think it deserves the hate.
58 out of 91 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
A good watch!
vcollin69 September 2014
I've sometimes enjoyed watching Family Guy and actually even enjoyed Ted. Reading the reviews on this movie made me not go see it in theaters, but I am satisfied with my choice to finally watch and to have given it a chance. Because of this, this is my first review posted on years of being on this site.

Seth knows his niche and the audience the directs his work towards. It was nice to have a genuinely funny movie that falls in line with the sense of humor I expected.

If you don't like his regular work, I don't recommend it, but if you do, you'll probably enjoy.
13 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
A Million Ways To Flop In The West
Calum Rhys20 June 2014
First of all, I like MacFarlane's work and I am big fan of 'Family Guy', 'American Dad' and his previous live-action feature 'Ted', but 'A Million Ways to Die in the West' was set for being panned from the moment the trailer was unveiled. This is a real shame because the film does have some good aspects to it, at times it is evident that MacFarlane was trying to pay homage to some of the original westerns but at other times he was trying too hard to modernise a genre that didn't need it, and as a result the film was littered with grotesque sex jokes and toilet humour. Now don't get me wrong, I did chuckle a few times, but very few times at that. Liam Neeson's casting as the villain was indeed a good choice and he pulls off the role very well, especially alongside the stunning Charlize Theron in all her glory. I did enjoy the subtle references to 'Back to the Future' and 'Django Unchained', but despite these certain affluences, the film just generally lacked elsewhere and was unfortunately heavily flawed; a disappointing project from MacFarlane.
154 out of 263 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
I loved it!
rzajac12 June 2014
Yeah, yeah; it's getting lacklustre reviews, and I half understand why.

It's not a timeless piece of comedy, but it's got spunk, wonderful production values, inspired comedic acting (even the 'bit' roles), and it has well-turned moments of stunningly genuine romance. Of note: If other comedy films are "better", why did I find more good ol', down-home belly laughs in this one? I think I know why: Sure, MacFarlane can play it blue and scatological, but he also values that other timeless comedic tradition; that which is Truly Funny Because It Is True.

Special Mention for Sarah Silverman. I think she struggles to reach out and touch with her unique and beautiful style, and goes largely unappreciated. MacFarlane gave her a great vehicle, and she lived up to it with the kind of aplomb and vivacity that I've certainly come to expect from her. I sincerely hope moviegoers will recognize this and watch her career with heightened expectations.

One thing I thought a bit odd: The Onion reviewer's main critique was that MacFarlane was "recycling" gags. I was half-expecting to find a tiresome rehashing of a few gags. I started watching, and found it engaging and surprising.

Anyway, it sorta looks like the horse is out of the barn. The flick did sh1t at the box office, and it'll go to DVD and maybe recoup its outlays. Too bad! It deserves better.
147 out of 251 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
A few genuine laughs, if you can wade through all the toilet humor.
Brent Hankins29 May 2014
After finding tremendous success with animated sitcoms Family Guy and American Dad, Seth MacFarlane ventured into the realm of live-action comedy with 2012's smash hit Ted, which featured Mark Wahlberg as a slacker whose best friend is a sex-and-drugs-obsessed teddy bear. While MacFarlane provided the voice and motion capture for the titular stuffed animal, he never actually appeared in the film, but takes center stage in his sophomore effort, A Million Ways to Die in the West.

Set in Arizona in 1882, the film stars MacFarlane as Albert Stark, a mild-mannered sheep farmer living a mundane existence in the rough and tumble town of Old Stump. Stark has just lost his girlfriend (Amanda Seyfried) to a wealthy local businessman (Neil Patrick Harris), and spends his days drinking away his sorrows with his best (and seemingly only) friend Edward (Giovanni Ribisi) and his prostitute fiancée, Ruth (Sarah Silverman).

Meanwhile, notorious outlaw Clinch Leatherwood (Liam Neeson) has dispatched his wife to Old Stump to await his arrival while he and the rest of the gang pull off another stagecoach robbery. After a chance encounter during a bar fight, Anna (Charlize Theron) takes an immediate liking to Stark, and agrees to help him win back the heart of his lost love, but omitting her true identity could have grave consequences when Clinch discovers who she's spending her days with.

While the plot sounds like it could have come from any number of Western films, everything that occurs on screen is through the filter of MacFarlane's unique sense of humor. Simultaneously poking fun at genre tropes while also paying homage to the classics, A Million Ways to Die in the West offers plenty to laugh at, including a hilarious song and dance number about men's facial hair, and an absurd variety of comedic death sequences.

Unfortunately, these moments are overshadowed by the fact that most of the film's humor is derived from the sort of R-rated content that MacFarlane can't get away with on television. There are only so many jokes about semen, diarrhea, and homosexuality that an audience can absorb before these topics stops being funny, but the film continues well past that mark, with Silverman coming across as particularly grating. After years of the exact same schtick, haven't people grown tired of hearing her talk about her vagina?

MacFarlane has proved time and again that he can write intelligent, thought-provoking comedy, but much like his previous film, he seems far too willing to cast that aside in favor of dick jokes and lame attempts to be offensive and shocking, just for the sake of being offensive and shocking. A Million Ways to Die in the West isn't a bad film - indeed, I think it's a vast improvement over Ted - but it's still not the MacFarlane film that I had hoped for. He's better than this, and hopefully we'll see that in his next flick.

-- Brent Hankins, www.nerdrep.com
102 out of 171 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Wanted to like it but didn't. An interesting inconsistent misfire
goofyball31 May 2014
This review comes from someone who likes Famnily Guy and really enjoyed TED... but this new one... was... ouch... I went in expecting a few laughs but there were fewer than even my low expectations predicted. Other than the script everything is top notch. Actors are great. Charlize and Liam and Sarah Silverman etc are terrific. It's too bad they didn't have something better to work with.

Liam in fact seems like he's in a different movie. He's 100 percent serious. That might be Seth's point in making a guy (himself) who is caught in the middle of a serious horrible deadly world that the west really was.

It looks very good visually. Great score. But very inconsistent. Not hit and miss. More like hit and miss miss miss groan miss semi-hit miss. And the joke style kept changing. Silly to sweet to over the top and serious at times. and some of the jokes were so disgusting I don't know what they were thinking. (and i like disgusting)

Plus the anachronistic style gets tired fast.

And Seth as predicted should not have made himself the lead. He's not awful but would have benefited greatly with a pro. His persona is not fit for leading man status. And his voice and style is so in step with Brian's on family guy its a bit distracting.

Basically the tone of this film keeps changing. The joke styles keep changing. it doesn't know what it is. Is is a sweet western romcom? Is it a satire? Is it a serious comedy?

With all the success from Ted I'm guessing Seth had carte blanche with this one and probably needed someone to question him more.

Might be more fun if your stoned. Really really stoned. And/or maybe just see Blazing Saddles instead.
153 out of 277 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Silence and Tumbleweeds not included
bob-the-movie-man10 June 2014
Comedy westerns have a strong legacy through classics like Mel Brooks' "Blazing Saddles", "Support your Local Sheriff/Gunfighter" (with James Garner), "Paleface" and "Son of Paleface" (with Bob Hope and Jane Russell) all the way back to the brilliant "Destry Rides Again" (with James Stewart and Marlene Dietrich). Unfortunately for each of these classics there's the odd "Wild Wild West" to restore movie western Karma, and Seth Macfarlane's follow on to "Ted" – "A Million Ways to Die in the West" – is on that other side of the scales.

Macfarlane aside (who really isn't funny enough to take the leading role of the sheep farmer Albert) the rest of the cast is bordering on stellar featuring Liam Neeson, Sarah Silverman, Amanda Seyfried and the gorgeous Charlize Theron. And they work very hard at it: Theron occasionally laughs like a hyena (to cover the fact that normally we are not) and Neeson plays the straight man villain very straight indeed.

So let's accentuate the positive for a moment. The photography of the Utah locations is gorgeous. Joel McNeely's western score is sumptuous (gotta love a western soundtrack) and the songs (including the moustache song and the title song) are both catchy and suitably ridiculous.

And there are moments in this film that are genuinely funny: Sarah Silverman's Christian hooker with a heart who is "saving herself" for her husband-to-be, played by the excellent Giovanni Ribisi (Frank Buffay Jnr in "Friends"), while servicing 10 of the locals ("on a slow day"); shooting practice with plates and a doctor's blue woodpecker for the aftermath; the Navajo translation for "fine" being "Mila Kunis" and – most surreal of all – Albert's drugged up trip with moustache wearing dancing sheep.

There are also some amusing cameos, particularly one in a barn (don't watch some of the trailers that cheaply give it away).

But the bits that did make me really laugh were few and far between. A lot of the jokes fall face first into the dry Utah dust with the humour similar to Albert's aim: scattergun. The script stoops to swearing at every opportunity (because that's always funny isn't it?) and whilst toilet humour can work in moderation you need to know when to stop and when to leave something to the imagination. I'd like to suggest that this was a self-written, self-directed over-indulgent piece by Macfarlane, given carte blanche to indulge, and over-indulge, by studio execs after the runaway success of "Ted" – - but he did have co-writers who could and should have balanced his content more (Alec Sulkin and Wellesley Wild – I haven't actually checked that these don't make an anagram of Seth Macfarlane).

Comedy movies need to have good material across the whole running time, which means the films need to be tautened until the material 'twangs' along its whole length. This was not one of those films.

(If you enjoyed this review, please check out my other reviews on bobmann447.wordpress.com, and sign up to "Follow the Fad". Thanks!).
85 out of 151 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Save time and money!
Christian King14 June 2014
I typically don't write reviews on this website, but this movie was so terrible (in my humble opinion), I decided this was the time to start sharing. Albert's (played by Seth MacFarlane) rants in the first 30 minutes of the movie were not funny, as he so desperately tried to make them. If this movie didn't have an R rating, all the farts and toilet humor would be hilarious to a 12 year old but they wore really thin after the first 2 or 3 attempts. Overall, the cast was great and I love cameos from stars you wouldn't expect to see, but this movie could have been A LOT better. When Albert gets high on peyote with the Indians, that's when the movie totally goes off the rails. This is by far the worst movie I've seen this year and one of the worst I've seen in the last ten years, at least. Please don't waste your money on this like I did.
24 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Wild West Bandits Stoled My Money Too
Bill Jordan1 June 2014
Let's just say that the beginning of the film is symbolic of what Seth McFarland and his gang are going to do to you. My wife and son seemed to enjoy the movie, but I laughed more at my wife laughing than at the movie itself. First, pretty much all of the supposedly-funny scenes were shown in the previews. Second, use of the f-word in itself is not funny unless it's used by someone totally out of character, like grandma or a nun. Simply throwing it randomly in every so often is not comedy. "Let's get effed up," Seth utters in one 'hilarious' scene. Ha, ha, ha. Hadn't realized I'd walked into a spring-break movie aimed at teens.

Basically, the dialog is not very funny, and the physical comedy mostly relies on grossing you out.

I enjoyed 'Ted,' but will not likely rush out to see Seth's next offering after this nonsense. This is right up there with the same crap Seth Rogen makes. And to think I actually named one of my children 'Seth.' I thought it such an innocent choice at the time...
50 out of 87 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
A million ways to ruin a film
brendan-821-65485516 June 2014
The problem with this film is that it didn't actually appear to understand what it wanted to be.

In places it is romantic comedy, in others it is action drama, in others it is part Adam Sandler comedy, but mostly it's just a collection of crude and unfunny frat boy jokes.

I am amazed the movie failed the way it did, because it has a lot of star power, and a decent budget behind it - but then I guess it just goes to show that just because you can succeed in one medium, that doesn't always mean you are automatically capable of doing the same in every medium.

Probably one of the biggest flaws in this film is that not only does the main character's frame of reference make absolutely no sense, but it's also inconsistent throughout the film.

MacFarlane plays a character who spends the entire movie showing how enlightened he is by complaining about how terrible life in the West is - but he could only know this if he had experienced life AFTER that period, and therefore had something to compare it with. For someone living in that actual period, things would have actually seemed quite advanced, compared to what had gone before, and with all the technological developments and political innovations taking place during that actual period.

And then later in the film, MacFarlene's supposedly enlightened and modern-thinking character suddenly reverts back to making jokes about the American Indian people (something someone of his period is likely to do), but then later still he actually gets adopted by an Indian tribe because of his enlightened approach to Indian/American relations.

I would also suggest that his jokes about "Black men" and their body preferences in women, and the Islamic "death chant" were grossly demeaning, if not racist.

And don't get me started on the montage towards the end of the film, which largely felt like a series of skits that didn't fit anywhere else in the movie, so they jammed them pointlessly into the montage because they didn't have the good sense to know they weren't actually that funny.

All in all it was a confused effort that just wasn't that good.
26 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
A truly awful ego trip
Hunter Gonzo31 May 2014
I'm not one to overreact either way and rarely give out 10/10 or 1/10 but I genuinely feel this horror show deserves and earned it's 1/10. After the success of Ted (which I thought was decent) MacFarlane obviously thought he could do no wrong but 'A Million Ways to Die in the West' brings him crashing back to Earth in spectacular fashion.

Here's the plot: (may contain spoilers) It's set in 1882 in Arizona, MacFarlane plays a nerdy, out of his depth but supposedly 'charming' sheep farmer who loses his girlfriend (Seyfried) and then unwittingly befriends the wife (Theron) of the most dangerous gunslinger in the territory (Neeson). That's it really, there isn't a whole lot else going on.

There's so many problems with this film that it's hard to know where to start, I suppose MacFarlane is the main problem because he's the one who's genuinely out of his depth. He's totally devoid of any humour or charm and he's also totally incapable of propping up a movie as the lead. It's far too long, it's loaded with tired and repetitive jokes, MacFarlane actually assembled a good cast but largely ignores them in favour of himself (ego trip) and worst of all he actually tried to inject a serious love story, which turns out to be cringe worthy at best.

I honestly didn't laugh once during this painful experience and neither did most people in the quarter full cinema, maybe 3 or 4 smiles, that's as good as it got for me. MacFarlane tried to bring Family Guy to the west and it falls flat on it's face in every single scene so unless you're a teenager and/or a die hard MacFarlane fan stay well away from this train wreck.
35 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Save your money!
blakepaulson7522 June 2014
I went to see this movie in high hopes after the huge success of Seth's earlier film "Ted" which I saw three times in theaters and enjoyed each time. However, I could barely sit through the entirety of AMWTDITW without nearly nodding off or wanting to leave the theater completely. The humor (if you can even call it that) was scarce. It was noticeably forced and obscenely crude, which is nothing new for Seth, but it was crude in a very childish way. Much of it had something to do with farting or diarrhea, not an adult topic in my opinion. The storyline was unoriginal, boring, and predictable. The characters were stereotypical and flat and the acting was poor at best. Seth is far better suited for voice acting than live action. It was painful to watch. *SPOILER* The scene that tipped its hat to the back to the future series would have been a fun surprise had it not been ruined in the previews. In fact most of the humorous lines or scenes were shown in the previews. In closing, save your money for a movie you may actually enjoy.
46 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Meh...the marketing was good.
charles1 June 2014
Seth McFarland did not hit it out of the park with this one. I was actually disappointed. The writing was just not all that creative. McFarland's overly gratuitous potty humor simply didn't carry the film from start to finish. I appreciate Blazing Saddles-type humor and this wasn't that caliber..or even close. Less is more, Seth.

I felt Charlize Theron and Liam Neeson were the only redeeming actors. Sarah Silverman is caustic as usual and Amanda Seyfried was anemic. Neil Patrick Harris played Barney Stinson a la 1882. The locations were scenic and the sets were believable.

Wait for this one to be on TBS on a rainy Sunday while you nap on the couch. One man's opinion...
161 out of 309 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Well Seth, you blew it...
coastdaze1 June 2014
I was expecting something at least sorta funny and entertaining. But alas what I got an overly gross, less than childish, stupid movie that hardly had any chuckles and no real laughs to me. The thing that made me chuckle the most was the "runaway slave" shooting gallery because it WAS funny and audacious to put in a movie. (I think we all need to mellow out and laugh at ourselves a bit more because our history can be funny/silly).

Anyway, back to Million...sheesh what a waste of time and money, IMO. I am thinking I will not see the new 22 Jump St. because I am sick and tired of so-called gross humor & from the trailer it is more of the same crappola. It is gross and not humorous. Ugh.

Charlize Theron is always a good actress to me and how Seth got her to play in this gross movie is beyond me. And Liam? Puleeze, he must have made mint to be in this piece of junk. Just writing about it puts a bad taste in my mouth. I gotta go see the other Million movie...Million Dollar Arm!
91 out of 169 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
soooo bad
blagomeni16 June 2014
Oh dear. I felt so embarrassed for all who took part in this movie. So embarrassed. I do not understand why Charlize Theron, Amanda Seyfried, Liam Neeson, Giovanni Ribisi, Neil Patrick Harris, Ewan McGregor, Ryan Reynolds and many other actors and actresses needed to be a part of this uninspiring and very, very bad project. I never liked westerns. I always found them boring, stuck in simple clichéd storytelling, full of ugly dirty characters with poor dental hygiene and appalling standards of personal grooming. This movie does not display the last two traits, since most characters have pearly white teeth and seem washed and combed, but the rest of the clichés are present. This is supposed to be a comedy. I struggled to find it funny. There were only a very few scenes that may be considered funny. Mostly, it is brimming with bad toilet humor, uninspiring acting, boring and unimaginative storytelling. The man around whom this movie had been constructed, Seth McFarlane, does not make his character neither lovable nor pitiful. He is simply an obnoxious, irritating and useless man who does not deserve any of the good stuff that happens to him. Even though I knew that he could not be killed, being the corner stone of the movie, I was secretly wishing for his character to die a horrible death some of the supporting characters were suffering. Watching this movie was a waste of my time. I can not understand what made me sit through all of it. I hope I will forget it fast. Do not, under any circumstances, waste your time and money on this trash. There are far more deserving movies you can spend time watching. I wish I could ask for refund.
29 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Dreadful from start to finish
brentbandhan29 June 2014
First off, this review is coming from a person who likes Family Guy and thought TED was mildly amusing.

This movie was not funny. Seth's acting was mediocre and at times I felt he was trying way too hard to be funny. The first 5 minutes of the movie maybe is Seth's character talking up a storm. I think he was trying to be funny, but the audience thought otherwise. As the film went on, I was hoping for it to get funny...DIDN'T HAPPEN. The only good part of the movie was the mustache song with Neil Patrick Harris.

The plot of the movie did make sense, so I'll give it that much. It's just that the acting and dialogue was so bad, I was just waiting for this movie to finish so I could get out of the theater.

VERDICT: Don't waste your money or time on this movie. Seth needs to stick to animated shows.
17 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
not worth watching
dino-23-35201316 June 2014
A talent like Charlize Theron in a movie like this i would have to say the worst movie i have seen in a very long time no acting whatsoever nothing to take away except what sounded like a genuine laugh from Charlize when they were watching the sunset after eating pot biscuits. but then again slap stick comedy seems to be the up and coming thing in today's generation why i don't know didn't find it funny at all were they reading the words of a board. the budget must have been very low and all money made must have been for a charity no effort at all.the director Seth MacFarlane has not made a movie worth watching as yet try something else dude take up a trade
23 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
A Million reasons to see this movie Warning: Spoilers
I saw A Million Ways to Die in the West 2 nights ago and man was it worth the $9.50 I paid, saying this movie has a lot of dirty jokes in it is an understatement, but they are funny and put in ways that are relatable and make sense. While I can't say this is the best movie I've ever seen, it's worth checking out because lets face it, if Seth Macfarlane is in a movie, It has to have good dirty jokes. The only reason I don't give it a 10 is the 1 plot hole with Clint and threatening to shoot Anna and her dog because Albert was caught kissing her, because we see her being a master at shooting why doesn't she just shoot and kill Clint in the first place rather than allowing him to have the control that he did? Movie villain logic I guess.
50 out of 89 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
cringeworthy
richo-cats30 May 2014
I am a fan of Seth Macfarlane's TV shows, movies and stand up work but this has to be the worst comedy since The Love Guru. After seeing the previews I had low expectations and never intended to watch this on the big screen, however, my arm was twisted by a friend and we decided to give it a chance. From now on I will trust my gut feeling because this was a debacle from start to finish. The jokes were tired, predictable and drawn out. There was nothing original about this and was made for the LCD. It was so painful to watch that I found myself watching most scenes between my fingers like I was at a scary horror flick. The sooner Macfarlane makes Ted 2 and redeems himself the better.
134 out of 261 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Either you get it or you don't
Songwriter_9021020 June 2014
You have to have a certain sense of humor to get this movie. Seth McFarlaine has a kind of sense of humor that isn't universal. I actually understand why some don't get this movie. That's fine, but don't pontificate and say this movie sucks just because you're the type of person who is easily offended. Yes, it is offensive, but you should have known that going in. If not, it's not the movie's fault. So many fat assholes on IMDb who think they know what a good movie should be. I love classics, deep love stories, the better comedies, and also alternative newer movies. This is alternative. Either understand it or just leave it alone.
53 out of 98 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Pure Foul-Mouth Drivel
patsworld5 June 2014
And trust me, that one star was given grudgingly.If nothing else, this picture clearly shows how far down the ladder of creativity movie making has fallen. It's as if a bunch of dirty-minded, foul-mouth juveniles got together and decided to make a movie and put in it every goofy, dirty, idiotic, dumb idea and utterance they could think of. And they must have because here is plainly the result. What a colossal waste of talent. I don't know how long this took to film but everyone in it could have made better use of their time had they stood around and chucked rocks down a sink hole. Seth MacFarlane as writer, director, producer and so-called actor of this unfunny, boring mess has proved with this one undertaking that he is a quadruple waste of time. Trust me, you'd have a better time sitting out in a puddle playing in the mud than you'd have in this dirt- poor excuse for a movie.
82 out of 159 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Pretty good overall
Rage-Kage12 June 2014
I've been pretty excited about this movie ever since I first saw the trailer a few months ago. I was sure that it would be the funniest movie of the year and I was a little disappointed. Thats not t say that this movie wasn't funny it just wasn't hilarious like I'd hoped. Even though A Million Ways to Die in the West was not the funniest movie I've ever seen it was still a good movie. On top of being funny the story was entertaining and very well done. Seth MacFarlane is a sheep farmer who gets dumped by his girlfriend and then spends most of the movie trying to get her back. It's entertaining watching him go from kind of a coward to less of a coward. I know that makes it sound like he did not change at all throughout the movie but he does and it's fun to watch. Seth MacFarlane and Charlize Theron worked well together and had a believable relationship and Sarah Silverman and Giovanni Ribisi were also very good together. In particular every scene Sarah Silverman was in were all really funny.

After the movie my friend said to me that he didn't like the ending because he was expecting a much more epic final shoot out between Seth MacFarlane and Liam Neeson and I get where he is coming from but have to disagree. I thought that the way it ended fit the overall tone of the rest off the movie. I really don't get why this movie is getting all of the hate that it's getting. If I had to guess I would think it is probably because like me people expected it to be funnier than it ended up being and since it is supposed to be a comedy a lot of people probably automatically decided it was a bad movie. I can't say that I blame anyone for thinking that but if you are thinking about seeing this movie I'd say don't worry about all the bad or mixed reviews and just go see it for yourself. If you like Seth MacFarlane type humor you will probably like this movie.

I give A Million Ways to Die in the West an 8/10
21 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?