This movie introduced an absurd amount of inconsistencies, to the point where either they purposely reversed the whole point of the first 6 films to slap Lucas and his fans in the face, or they never watched any of the previous films at all. First I'll talk about what I liked.
The acting, the visuals, the effects, the amount of lightsaber screen time, racial diversity, and obviously John Williams' score, were outstanding.
Here's what I didn't like:
* George Lucas confirmed that Palpatine had died long before Disney, the whole purpose of the first 6 films was that Anakin Skywalker was to grow up and defeat the sith to restore balance, which he did. And then this movie reversed that entirely
* No introductory entrance scene from Palpatine, it's just thrown into the opening crawl that he's still alive....
* Rey has healing powers? RIP Qui Gonn and literally everyone that has died in Star Wars up until now
* Speaking of healing powers, that exact kind of power is what Anakin had spent most his adult life trying to acquire, everything he's done is to obtain more power and knowledge of the dark side, and then boom Rey just has it all of a sudden.... Anakin turned his back on everything he was taught in an effort to acquire healing powers. Rey is just walking around healing basilisks like it's nothing. So you don't need to turn to the dark side and kill billions of people? Light side jedis can heal all along? Anakin got pranked! Why didn't Yoda and Mace have healing powers or even know of its possibility?
* The convenience of the whole dagger thing really took me out of the movie, wait whats that dagger thing? 3-PO pls translate. "it contains the coordinates of the exact place we are searching for!" hmmmmm that was real freaking convenient wasn't it, also why did the dagger exist? Why would Palpatine make it and write exact coordinates on it?
* Apparently all it takes to defeat Palpatine is to have two lightsabers instead of one? You don't need years of training or wisdom...?... if only Yoda/Mace had known
* The fact that Palpatine was able to conceive means he was able to feel love at some point in his life........ did he have a love interest raise the kids? did he raise them? Rey would have been more interesting if she was a "nobody", the fact that she's a Palpatine just seems forced and lazy
* Rey and Kylo have had absolutely no romantic chemistry ever, their relationship is shown as sibling-like. The kiss was awkward, and totally random. But it's Disney, so is anyone really surprised by that?
* There was no reason for Leia and Kylo to die, why couldn't Rey just use her healing powers to stop it from happening?
* The back and forth of thinking people are dead and then boom all of a sudden they're not dead was exhausting. Chewey is dead! Nope. C3PO is dead! Nope. Kylo is dead! Nope. Rey is dead! Nope. They keep reviving each other until one of them couldn't anymore.
* A lightsaber is a sacred weapon only to be used by jedis in self defense. It's not a flashlight, it's not something you lend to your friend, and there were 2 more scenes of throwing them off of cliffs, did they learn nothing from TLJ? In the movie Kylo and Rey both threw their lightsabers to get rid of them because they didn't want to keep fighting or killing...... so basically admitting they don't have self control? What kind of jedi are they? A lightsaber is not a killing weapon, it's for self defense!
* The Rey v. Palpatine scene was so boring. Palpatine gets his full strength back, lightnings a whole fleet, and then is defeated in like 7 seconds... by his own lightning.... again
* Kylo turns good? Of course he does. There weren't a lot of obvious signs of struggle, and honestly that would have been a much better movie if it was just from his perspective, I wanted more Kylo, but he hardly had screen time and had a disappointingly little amount of lines
* Why bring back Han, Leia, and Luke just to kill them all off? Having the beloved three back together again is what was going to make the new trilogy so special, but they never got to reunite
* The Knights of Ren sucked! Just kind of hung around and then got killed by Pajama-boy Ben all at once in only seconds of fighting
* W. T. F. was that final Lando scene? "Where do you come from? Lets find out"..... Ummm what exactly did you mean by that?
* Palpatine has a new giant fleet? Why not just lightspeed something through all of them, because apparently you can do that now...
* Episode 8: Leia sends out a signal to all the systems asking for help... literally no one shows up---Episode 9: Lando flies around to all the systems asking for help.... literally everyone shows up. Not an inconsistency I just thought it was humorous, haha!
* What did Finn want to tell Rey? They ended the movie before they remembered to answer that. At this point JJ is probably just trolling us by leaving that unanswered
* Kylo should have killed Palpatine, to at least be somewhat consistent with "I will finish what you started"
* Where was Anakin? Did he forget how to force ghost himself? Obviously didn't care enough about the resistance. Show us Hayden!
* Luke's lightsaber just duct taped back together and it's as good as new?
* A lot of this movie's purpose had to do with Rey's identity. "Be who you are, Rey"... cut to the end of the movie... "I'm Rey Skywalker." Nope! you literally just learned that you're a Palpatine, nice try though
* Leia should have died in TLJ... the unused footage was kind of creepy
* It's pretty obvious that the trilogy wasn't planned out, there is no comprehensive storyline. What the trilogy is about is still a mystery to me
* The pace of the first 30 minutes was super rapid, and then didn't stay consistent, they just kind of pasted scenes together but who cares, it's cool if you have a lightsaber out, right?
* Poe can't catch a break for the 3rd movie in a row, just for comic relief too
* In my opinion the best thing about the trilogy and especially ROS was the force connection that Rey and Kylo had, what they were able to do (communicate remotely, transfer objects to help each other, feel what the other is feeling, etc) was really interesting and I loved it. All of that ruined by the stupid meaningless kiss.
Surely there will be people that love this movie, and I will never understand how they can look past all the above mentioned.
RIP Star Wars, sorry you had to end like this.
208 out of 272 found this helpful.
Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.