Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (2019) Poster

6,992 Reviews
Hi JJ Abrams And Kathleen Kennedy
hdmfsds12 January 2020
Thanks for your input and all the upvotes here.

Now back to reality and a review for us viewers and Star Wars fans:

The film is bad, as bad as the rest of the trilogy that was wholly unneeded and attempted to reboot the whole thing for Disney's kiddie demographic via copying what Lucas had done albeit with weak actors and actresses, no character development and cheap directing.

Face it: the dark side won. The emperor is back and can return anytime, Yoda is dead and his vision has been quashed and a Mary Sue is running around magically Mary Suing the universe. The minions of the dark side are deep inside Disney and Bad Robot headquarters and making a billion dollar a pop from their evil visions and hordes of lemmings pay it to them.

PS: I love the ignorant and the spammers constantly writing 'oh JJ fixed it.' WHO DO YOU THINK RUINED IT IN THE FIRST PLACE? Your beloved sith JJ was the director of 7 and producer of 8.
760 out of 959 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Capitalism/Materialism/Greed Strikes Again
wsigtbqtz1 January 2020
Let us be frank with one another okay? This film is not needed, the whole trilogy was unneeded,there is no rule that says that Star Wars or any film needs to be a trilogy.

Star Wars under Disney is a series looking for a reason to exist. Lucas, before he became a greedy sell-out, had a vision and an idea. he also had talent. The current crew are uniformly sad. There is no reason for the emo, masculine Mary Sue, fake clone or the impostor emperor to exist and they all require us to suspend disbelief anyway. The current gang has no story to tell.

This film is stitched together to plug the holes JJ and Disney themselves created. Do not watch it.
462 out of 591 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst way to end 42 years of an important cultural pheonom
ing-markocana1 January 2020
I recently saw a review on YouTube that made me think about this last Disney trilogy and I almost came to accept that maybe I was wrong and the story arc for Luke and Leia made sense. But then I realize that these movies had very little to do with any of the original movies characters and I digress. How Disney has turned this into a cash cow is shameless, greedy and inmoral. From the very beginning I expected a more dramatic movie, these characters have been with us for forty years! I don't understand why Mark Hamil was ignored when writing the script to these movies, nor why did these movies need a new story when there are decades of comics and books with lore and great stories? Disney had a once in a lifetime opportunity to conclude what George Lucas started almost half a century later, and they decided to turn this over to people who never read the source material nor cared about lore. During all these years Mark H never stopped being Luke and Carrie was Leia, they never took on roles that they were known for more. It saddens me that we will never have a memory of all our beloved original characters together for at least one scene at the end of this all.
323 out of 410 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The RISE (???) of Skywalker
danielkanemusic5 January 2020
The good: Cinematography Music

The bad: No storyline. Palpatine came back somehow, was confronted by Rey and died again. It took her less than 2 minutes to finish him in the end all because dead Jedi suddenly decided to talk to her, comfort her she wasn't alone.

The ugly: Poe's speech before going into battle reminded me of every medieval movie I can remember. Then, 2 minutes later I saw a bunch of horses running across the deck of a Star Destroyer, freakin HORSES!

Rey dies (why??) then Ben resurrects her (how??), they kiss (why??) and then he dies (vanishes), how&why??

The RISE of Skywalker?? The 2 last remaining Skywalkers DIE!! There is NO Skywalker left.

PLOT-BLACK-HOLES

I remember downloading the storyline of all 9 chapters 16 years ago. The final trilogy was supposed to be about Leia & Han's kids, Luke's kids, a cloned version of Luke, a cloned version of Vader/Anakin and Luke eventually becoming the most powerful Jedi of all time after finally defeating the Sith in their ancient temple. The entire trilogy felt mystic, dark and after reading all 9 chapters the final 3 were undoubtedly going to be a "save the best for last" scenario. I am so disappointed. Star Wars is dead. Count me out.
890 out of 1,164 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Great Movie .... For Disney's Accounting Department
pndb23 December 2019
A terrible movie for Star Wars, cinema or art fans. It crushes the force and takes Mary Sue-ism and unexplained occurrences to a new height. Frankly, and we have known this all along, the actors and actresses are poor.

What is laughable is how the Disney contractors spamming here keep talking about how JJ Abrams saved the trilogy. Boys, tell head office to give you a new script, will you? JJ Abrams was the hack who ruined Star Wars in place. He was also the producer on the Rian Johnson impostor film.
289 out of 372 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
All This Film Was Missing Was Adam Sandler
Jamie-wheino7 March 2020
That is how awful it is.

I will wager these actors and actresses are going to disappear like a fart in the wind. They are excruciatingly abysmal. It is time their parents and agents stopped lying to them and told them to attend community college for jobs. By the way, speaking of lying: Di$$$ney stop lying to people. This is not Star Wars.
150 out of 189 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I Am Not An Imbecile
mvarcf17 January 2020
So I watched this one for free.

Simply put after JJ 'I rip off left, right and center' Abrams' The Farce Awakens and Rian 'I am Christian who looooves Trump' Johnson's The Last (we wish!) atrocities I was not about to actually pay to watch this one.

So how is it? It is bad. Remember any and all lame television sitcoms where they have to add relatives or resurrect old friends and family to keep the series going? Voila, welcome to The Rise Of Skywalker (another nonsensical and ironic title).

The acting is quite bad, but we are used to that with this lot, are we not? The directing is obvious and all about merchandising and games and rides and buying skins for games.

It is amazing how much money Disney can spend and still output a visual diarrhea, Then again it is Disney. Everything is demographically tested and aimed at preteens and younger.
260 out of 341 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
As Sure As This Tale Of A Mary Sue Sucks Disney Will launch Another Trilogy in 2022
hsneqovll9 January 2020
I guarantee it.

This trilogy blows. They rebooted it and due to a lack of ideas, inspiration and talent made a lazy remake of the previous and original trilogy. I say "lazy" because Disney is uninterested in storytelling, morality, integrity or action. It is all a formula to them that is copy pasted and spat out of the formula computer. Everything happens too easily and too conveniently and since the girl is ugly and the actors and director cheap it all turns into a joke. So a relative is resurrected here? How convenient! OK then! Mystery solved! Great. 10/10. N-O-T.
149 out of 192 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
RIP Star Wars. Every inconsistency listed below.
ben_busche21 December 2019
This movie introduced an absurd amount of inconsistencies, to the point where either they purposely reversed the whole point of the first 6 films to slap Lucas and his fans in the face, or they never watched any of the previous films at all. First I'll talk about what I liked.

The acting, the visuals, the effects, the amount of lightsaber screen time, racial diversity, and obviously John Williams' score, were outstanding.

Here's what I didn't like:

* George Lucas confirmed that Palpatine had died long before Disney, the whole purpose of the first 6 films was that Anakin Skywalker was to grow up and defeat the sith to restore balance, which he did. And then this movie reversed that entirely

* No introductory entrance scene from Palpatine, it's just thrown into the opening crawl that he's still alive....

* Rey has healing powers? RIP Qui Gonn and literally everyone that has died in Star Wars up until now

* Speaking of healing powers, that exact kind of power is what Anakin had spent most his adult life trying to acquire, everything he's done is to obtain more power and knowledge of the dark side, and then boom Rey just has it all of a sudden.... Anakin turned his back on everything he was taught in an effort to acquire healing powers. Rey is just walking around healing basilisks like it's nothing. So you don't need to turn to the dark side and kill billions of people? Light side jedis can heal all along? Anakin got pranked! Why didn't Yoda and Mace have healing powers or even know of its possibility?

* The convenience of the whole dagger thing really took me out of the movie, wait whats that dagger thing? 3-PO pls translate. "it contains the coordinates of the exact place we are searching for!" hmmmmm that was real freaking convenient wasn't it, also why did the dagger exist? Why would Palpatine make it and write exact coordinates on it?

* Apparently all it takes to defeat Palpatine is to have two lightsabers instead of one? You don't need years of training or wisdom...?... if only Yoda/Mace had known

* The fact that Palpatine was able to conceive means he was able to feel love at some point in his life........ did he have a love interest raise the kids? did he raise them? Rey would have been more interesting if she was a "nobody", the fact that she's a Palpatine just seems forced and lazy

* Rey and Kylo have had absolutely no romantic chemistry ever, their relationship is shown as sibling-like. The kiss was awkward, and totally random. But it's Disney, so is anyone really surprised by that?

* There was no reason for Leia and Kylo to die, why couldn't Rey just use her healing powers to stop it from happening?

* The back and forth of thinking people are dead and then boom all of a sudden they're not dead was exhausting. Chewey is dead! Nope. C3PO is dead! Nope. Kylo is dead! Nope. Rey is dead! Nope. They keep reviving each other until one of them couldn't anymore.

* A lightsaber is a sacred weapon only to be used by jedis in self defense. It's not a flashlight, it's not something you lend to your friend, and there were 2 more scenes of throwing them off of cliffs, did they learn nothing from TLJ? In the movie Kylo and Rey both threw their lightsabers to get rid of them because they didn't want to keep fighting or killing...... so basically admitting they don't have self control? What kind of jedi are they? A lightsaber is not a killing weapon, it's for self defense!

* The Rey v. Palpatine scene was so boring. Palpatine gets his full strength back, lightnings a whole fleet, and then is defeated in like 7 seconds... by his own lightning.... again

* Kylo turns good? Of course he does. There weren't a lot of obvious signs of struggle, and honestly that would have been a much better movie if it was just from his perspective, I wanted more Kylo, but he hardly had screen time and had a disappointingly little amount of lines

* Why bring back Han, Leia, and Luke just to kill them all off? Having the beloved three back together again is what was going to make the new trilogy so special, but they never got to reunite

* The Knights of Ren sucked! Just kind of hung around and then got killed by Pajama-boy Ben all at once in only seconds of fighting

* W. T. F. was that final Lando scene? "Where do you come from? Lets find out"..... Ummm what exactly did you mean by that?

* Palpatine has a new giant fleet? Why not just lightspeed something through all of them, because apparently you can do that now...

* Episode 8: Leia sends out a signal to all the systems asking for help... literally no one shows up---Episode 9: Lando flies around to all the systems asking for help.... literally everyone shows up. Not an inconsistency I just thought it was humorous, haha!

* What did Finn want to tell Rey? They ended the movie before they remembered to answer that. At this point JJ is probably just trolling us by leaving that unanswered

* Kylo should have killed Palpatine, to at least be somewhat consistent with "I will finish what you started"

* Where was Anakin? Did he forget how to force ghost himself? Obviously didn't care enough about the resistance. Show us Hayden!

* Luke's lightsaber just duct taped back together and it's as good as new?

* A lot of this movie's purpose had to do with Rey's identity. "Be who you are, Rey"... cut to the end of the movie... "I'm Rey Skywalker." Nope! you literally just learned that you're a Palpatine, nice try though

* Leia should have died in TLJ... the unused footage was kind of creepy

* It's pretty obvious that the trilogy wasn't planned out, there is no comprehensive storyline. What the trilogy is about is still a mystery to me

* The pace of the first 30 minutes was super rapid, and then didn't stay consistent, they just kind of pasted scenes together but who cares, it's cool if you have a lightsaber out, right?

* Poe can't catch a break for the 3rd movie in a row, just for comic relief too

* In my opinion the best thing about the trilogy and especially ROS was the force connection that Rey and Kylo had, what they were able to do (communicate remotely, transfer objects to help each other, feel what the other is feeling, etc) was really interesting and I loved it. All of that ruined by the stupid meaningless kiss.

Surely there will be people that love this movie, and I will never understand how they can look past all the above mentioned. RIP Star Wars, sorry you had to end like this.
208 out of 272 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disney Ruined Star War
j_cain-712447 January 2020
This trilogy was horrible. Terrible story, universe continuity and ending. Such a disappointment. Typical results of big corporation making decisions based on executive KPIs rather than producing a great product.
851 out of 1,158 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
STOP PRESSES!!! THIS JUST IN!!!!!!!!!
rwcuybr9 January 2020
This just came in over the wire: The Skywalker family is suing Jar Jar Abrams and his sugar mamma Kathleen Kennedy. Also named as accessory is the CEO and entire board of directors of sith central (Di$$$ney).

According to court documents the lawsuit revolves around two facts:

1- Bad Robot and Disney have slandered the name Skywalker and dragged it through the mud. The name is now derided and worth nothing.

2- The events depicted in this feature are so nonsensical and stupid that physical pain and mental anguish has been inflicted on the Skywalker family and their former fans.

Legal experts we have interviewed are unanimous, "The Mary Sue, sugar mamma and the sith director have 100% probability of losing this lawsuit."
362 out of 484 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If One Expected It To Be This Bad Then One Is Not Disappointed
naomi-seibt-ss-waffen29 February 2020
The art of good film making has been lost in the last decade. A whole lot of structural and continuity issues here with a weak script that gives JJ Abrams the opportunity to sell games and merchandise. The main actress has only one expression like she is angry at herself, as well as the audience. Suggestion: there are only 6 episodes of Star Wars ever and only 3 of them are good.
125 out of 161 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What kind of Star wars fan are you?
tobias-an-8820 December 2019
For me Star wars have allways been about good storytelling.

The original trilogy had a simple but strong and surprising story.

The prequels had their faults but they still told a great story about how evil could rise to power under the nose of the good guys.

The story in the rise of skywalker, is not existing. It just chaos. People running around doing stuff in a pace which seems to be an attempt to hide an incredible high amount of plot holes and inconsistencies. Even the ideas which could have been awesome fall flat due to the lack of an overall structure in the story and what seems to be a fear of surprising the fans.

The use of the force and the depiction of the power structure in the galaxy, is so vague and not in line with what was established in the previous movies, that it almost break the logic of the franchise.

If you just want a movie with stunning visuals, high amount of fan service and where everything happens as you predicted, then the rise of skywalker may be a good star wars movie.

I liked the music and the visuals, but the lack of good storytelling and respect for ALL the previous movies mad me sad.
3,953 out of 5,527 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Convoluted non-sense plot that feels like it was written by a 12 year old.
maxwelloreocookie24 December 2019
When did Star Wars become Micheal Bay's Transformers? I know it's pretty much impossible to consistently follow-up the train wreck of The Last Jedi, but is this really the best they could come up with?

This also might be the most inconsistent trilogy I've ever seen in my life, and I've seen a lot of movies. They didn't have a plan from the start, and it's super obvious just from watching these movies. JJ Abrams wrote The Force Awakens with no intention of finishing it, then Rian Johnson comes with The Last Jedi and selfishly says "F epsiode 7" and does his own edgelord thing. Not only ignoring JJ's setup, but ignoring all Star Wars lore in general. Now with Rise of Skywalker, we have JJ clapping back at Rian, making most of Last Jedi pointless. Movies in this trilogy constantly retconning each other, it's beyond than just a mess. Calling it a mess is a massive understatement. It's like JJ Abrams and Rian Johnson rap battling each other, except in movie making form, and a huge brand loved by millions is no time for an immature rap battle.

This movie's plot is bad rip-off of Empire Stikes Back and Return of the Jedi combined. Rey finds out she's Sidious' granddaughter, similar to how Luke found out he's Vader's son. The entire final battle is a rip-off Sidious throne room scene in Return of the Jedi, except with none of the heart, and even cringe in some parts. And they already ripped off that same scene in Last Jedi, LOL! How many times are they gunna rip-off the same scene? Do they not have any orginal ideas? They also have Death Star returning again, kinda. Except they now put Death Star weapons on smaller ships, but it's the same concept and makes no real difference, SMH! It also makes no sense, because there was a legit reason why the Death Star had to be that big in order to support a laser that strong to destroy entire planets. Why do these writers lack any tiny bit of creativity?

I'm aware they say they stick to familiar things to play it safe, but that doesn't means they should copy and paste everything from old movies. Have orginal ideas, but still has the heart of Star Wars, and keeps consistent with previous movies, that's all they had to do, and obviously you can't please all fans, but if they did they, they would please the majority of fans, way more than they pleased with this non-sense trilogy. It feels like these movies are made from a committee, rather than a man or team with a real vision, and are true fans of Star Wars.

The action is also boring, bland, and forgettable. I'm willingly to forgive a bad or okay plot if the action is amazing, like John Wick for example, but this? No way. There isn't one decent light saber fight in this entire movie. The Rey and Kylo rain fight was the best in the movie, but still mediocre. I know Star Wars is more than just light saber fights, but every movie should have at least 1 iconic light saber fight, especially when there's no good plot to fall back on. Even the final space battle is bland, like a Transformers movie sequel battle.

It beyond boggles my mind how a billion-dollar franchise can be handled so poorly, and by one of the richest companies on Earth with almost unlimited resources. How are JJ Abarams and Rian Johnson such awful writers? How are they paid millions to do this? They should stick to only directing, and stay FAR AWAY from writing. I swear, I've seen way better and consistent writing from regular community college students. How did hacks like JJ and Rian gets so high up? I guess this is just further proof of, it's just about who you know and what connections you have, not actual talent.

Overall, boring, convoluted, boring characters I don't care about, and very forgettable movie. I refuse to call this the end of the Skywalker saga. The real end of the Skywalker saga is the end of Return of the Jedi.
1,965 out of 2,740 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surely Jar Jar Abrams Has 'Photos' of Hollywood honchos
ynkvtws3 January 2020
Don't believe the good reviews. JJ and his contractors are spamming. Otherwise, don't get why people are giving it good reviews. I also find it disrespectful towards good storytelling. The movie was also a sad insult to Carrie Fisher. I personally really disliked it and thought there was a lot of nonsense. Bad way to end it! How about next time you put a super slender girl in microskirt and boots in your movies, JJ?? That way I won't hate myself for paying $15 for a ticket.
233 out of 311 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Serial Casting Couch
udtjrlxw28 January 2020
It went from Spielberg to Kathleen to JJ to Daisy and on and on it goes.

Does anyone remember A New Hope when Luke stands outside his uncle's home and stares into the distance at the two suns? There was majesty, intrigue, acting, hope, fantasy... there was curiosity and philosophy.

Now??

JJ sits down with sugar momma and take the read-out from the accounting department, taking into consideration what the merchandising division and theme park division and the Chinese manufacturer subcontractor want and need, calibrate, reboot and deliver

No wonder Donald Trump is getting millions of votes from the working class... humans are so easily conned.
203 out of 270 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Will They Bring Back Jar Jar Abrams For Episode X?
kjdewau8 February 2020
Because you, I and everyone else knows it is coming. If they can squeeze a buck they will. Disney is a hoover for cash and there are enough pre-teens and pre-teened 'brains' to give it to them. In the meanwhile, The Rise Of Skywalker is like saying jumbo shrimp or quality at Wal-Mart. It is that bad and that ironic. Does Ridley even know how ridiculous she looks with the permanent frown on her face? Does the director know what Star Wars is? Can they even spell the force? Do they know it is a cheap Hallmark movie trick to create surprise family relationships? I am not bristling at Disney. I am shaking my head at people who like Disney.
95 out of 124 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This Is Not Star Wars. This Is Disney Star Wars
iutocam26 December 2019
JJ Abrams and Kathleen Kennedy made their buck off the back of the fans and George Lucas' vision. They are smiling, laughing, celebrating and downing champagne. Star Wars, vision and the force be damned. Who cares about that crap? We have a quarterly dividend and stock market to satisfy.

How do I know?

When fans laughed or shook their heads at The Force Awakens' rip off and gender switch of A New hope JJ Abrams did it here again with the resurrection of a long dead character.

When fans demanded the magic and Mary Sue-ism stop. JJ did it again with inexplicable and unexplained occurrences.

When fans demanded that the new trilogy respect the rules of the force and respect the jedi what did this episode do? Ignore all that and give us new skins for stormtroopers in games instead.

That is all that counts with The Rise Of Skywalker: the rise of hordes of cash at Disney headquarters.
501 out of 698 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This Film Gets One Thing RIght: Daisy IS the child of the dark side
mplmld7 January 2020
... and I knew it.

I have been saying that Jar Jar Abrams, his sugar mamma and Jar Jar's casting couch squeeze Daisy are the sith that is conspiring to destroy Star Wars... and I was correct.

Our Mary Sue with the short ugly hair and misandrist scour Mary Sues her way through the Star Wars universe magically doing everything a space hack does. And with that the sith have destroyed the lore of the Jedi.
145 out of 194 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Zero original idea, zero vision, millions of marketing dollars.
Tormentt7522 December 2019
I had a thought watching this, "How did Disney allow this clusterfk to happen?" But then it all made sense (or cents). It's the Disney approach to commodifying our childhood stories and fantasies and turning it into a production line, churning out identical, packaged goods all in one colour. (In other words, the same crap over and over again).

Admittedly, I wasn't terribly shocked watching this, I had time to process all the disgust from Force Awakens, so I had very low expectations. Yet it still didn't fail to disappoint.

I mean, WHAT trilogy? It's like a cringe-worthy email spat between two directors, each trying to cancel out the other's points, yet pretending to be civil. Rian Johnson at least had the balls to try to have a vision, but failed spectacularly in execution. But then again, he's inheriting the mess started with Abrams.

Now Abrams, if you remember at all from Lost, is not a trustworthy storyteller. He hoodwinked all of us into believing his increasingly tangled web of plots and subplots was going to be somehow resolved in a brilliant ending that will cement his place as one of the truly great auteurs of our time. Of course, now we know better. This is not a storyteller who is faithful to the narrative. He's a music video director, creating tantalising plot points only to dismiss them with silly or lazy answers.

And that's what Rise of Skywalker is, a music video/ 2-hour trailer. Scenes are just stringed together without rhyme or reason like Rey jumping over TIE fighter. (that's in the trailer so not a spoiler). Cool for the sake of being cool. Emperor and a huge fleet pops back out of thin air because the plot calls for it. Ending is a joke. Nonsensical action, some witty banter, some emotional moments - what a mess in the hands of a mediocre director.

Zero original ideas, zero vision. Zero emotional investment in the story. Zero chemistry between leads. Such forgettable, inconsistent characters. Can you believe this is George Lucas' Star Wars?
1,460 out of 2,109 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How corporate greed and consumerism once again destroyed the filmmaking
marcislagzdins6 January 2020
Unfortunately, this movie somehow reflects the way society's been going on for the last 15-20 years - the ever growing trivilialization, consumerism and regurgitation of works of genius from past generations who paid blood, sweat and tears for their works to be seen, heard and fealt - all of this now to get a quick buck at the local mall. Shameful...shameful...
494 out of 711 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A disgrace to the heart and soul of the original
mfb60321 December 2019
One of the first movies I remember seeing in the theater as a child was Return of the Jedi. I can still remember the loud applause of the crowd at the powerful scene where Darth Vader saves his son and throws the Emperor to his death. My dad stood up and cheered as did many others in the audience. As I got older and watched that entire trilogy (and later on, as a young adult, watching the prequels) I realized the overall theme of that franchise and the importance of that moment: A person's fall from grace because of the seduction of evil and their redemption through the light. It made the moment of Vader's/ Anakin's redemption at the end of ROTJ that much more powerful; the emperor was destroyed and Anakin fufilled his destiny as the chosen one.

Well, that powerful theme of the original was destroyed by this one. Like others, I was somewhat disappointed by the Force Awakens and the Last Jedi. However, I didn't hate them, enjoyed them for the entertainment they were, and figured we judge a trilogy as a whole. Well, the judgement is in and Rise of Skywalker not only fails on it's own right, it brings down Disney's entire trilogy as the story didn't even continue of the themes of it's own sequel trilogy, nevermind the originals. Here are some of my issues, especially as it spits on the spirit of the originals and even prequels:

1-The Emperor- We find out suddenly, within the first seconds of the "opening crawl" of the movie, and out of the blue, that the Emperor is alive. That erases the entire story line of the first six movies and erased the emotional impact of the end of ROTJ and Anakin's redemption I just spoke of. Ok, well, at least we can get a cool backstory of how the Emperor survived being thrown down a shaft of a soon exploded death star? Nope, not a one mention of how he survived other than the throw away line of "unnatural abilities." And other characters in the movie don't seem shocked about his sudden return. It's just a simple, oh, Palpatine is alive....so anyway. Remember, he was the ultimate bad guy of the universe. The universe celebrated the end of an evil empire upon his death. It shows the poor writing, in the same way we never find out how Kylo got Vader's helmet or how Maz got Luke's light saber. The "story for another time" line gets even weaker if the trilogy comes and goes without the explanation or the story. And what did Finn want to tell Rey? I guess we don't need to know. But I do guess good writing doesn't matter as long as you have cool CGI special effects and "woke" characters.

2- Rey being Palpatine's granddaughter. The whole theater laughed at the reveal. Yes, laughter. Not the gasps of the "I am Your Father " line of Empire. There should be laughter as this is just another example of poor writing. When did Palpatine have time for a child? I must have missed that in the prequel trilogy. If we do the math, he would have to have been the older man during his time as chancellor when his son was born. As simple as Rian Johnson's explanation in The Last Jedi was, "your parents were nobodies", I can even accept that over the Palpatine connection. Heck, at least that showed any average person can have force abilities.

3-New force powers- No one studies them, but rather they just learn them out of the blue. Giving objects through the air. Lol A sudden ability to heal and bring back to life. Wow, Anakin sure could have used this to save Padme. Again, bad writing.

4-The character of Rey-I like her character and she really could have been a strong female character for young girls to look up to in the same way Leia was in the original trilogy. However, they, in modern Hollywood fashion, had to go to the extreme and pander and make her a perfect character, more powerful than anyone in Star Wars history, without the need to train or have flaws. It's almost like they brought the dead Emperor back for the sole purpose of her being the one to kill him.

5-Kylo's redemption. This was also handed too quickly. And the ending kiss with Rey, the theater laughed at this part as well. Kylo also spent three movies trying to talk to the spirit of his dead grandfather Vader...how powerful would it have been to have the Force ghost of Anakin appear and talk to him about his own errors and redemption. That could have really tied three trilogies together.

5- The whole final battle- Horses running on star destroyers, Sith lightening into space, all destoyers lined up in a row for an easy target, I could go on about the mess of the whole ending. Or how about Palpatine sucking the life force out of Rey and Kylo. I mean, he should have just done that to Luke in ROTJ and moved on.

I'm done with my perspective. I don't blame the actors, they only read the lines they are provided with. Given better writing, this could have been a great trilogy. You wonder if these people even "got" what the old movies were about? Even John Williams' amazing score couldn't save this one. Everyone is free to have their own opinion, but as for mine, this movie will not be judged well. This movie lacks the heart and soul of George Lucas, which is clearly missing. This is the first and only review I have ever written on imdb, which shows my disdain for what they did to this once great franchise. For anyone wanting a true sequel to the original movies, read some of the old novels, starting with the Thrawn trilogy. They build on the Star Wars and Lucas legacy, without trying to destroy it.
1,685 out of 2,566 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I wish this trilogy didnt happen
roostercleary20 December 2019
A mess of a movie to end a messy trilogy. No explanation of Palpatine's return. Ren serving Palpatine all of a sudden. No explanation for Knights of Ren. Redemption of Ren. Over powered Rey. Leia was apparently trained as a Jedi. Palpatine "long have I waited" to be killed by my grand daughter so she can be empress. Why would he wait to rise again to give up all his power by saying "kill me". So much trying to fix Ep 8...THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU DONT MAKE AN OVER ARCHING STORY FOR THE TRILOGY. MOVIE MAKING 101. WRITE YOUR STORY. THIS TRILOGY IS A MESS AND BACKED JJ INTO A CORNER & NOW WE END UP WITH AN AWFUL FINALE FOR A 40 YEAR SAGA. Characters are dropped from Ep 8, irrelevant new characters. Hated her saying Rey Skywalker & Ben/Rey kiss....Just SO disappointed. Only thing K Kennedy has done I've liked is Mandalorian and Rogue One, her trilogy is AWFUL. MAKE A PLAN WHEN ATTEMPTING A TRILOGY.
1,991 out of 3,102 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This film clearly displays this trilogy's biggest flaw...
AlsExGal22 December 2019
... which is that there was no overarching story to this trilogy planned.

Say what you will about the prequels -years later they aren't considered secretly great or misunderstood. But they did one thing right. They expanded the universe of Star Wars with more world building and more lore, some good, some bad. The prequel story, while stilted, was the product of a single vision. In the end you had bad execution with good building blocks.

The Sequel Trilogy doesn't expand anything, instead it makes everything smaller. Star Wars has never felt so small and tired as it does after The Rise of Skywalker. Each movie exists just to tear down and apologize for what came before it. Anakin/Vader's entire character arc is completely and unforgivably undermined after this film.

Overall the movie was so bloated and overstuffed with choppy pacing to course-correct from The Last Jedi. It's Flanderization in action. The original movies had so many little touches and so much atmosphere and craftsmanship beyond a few big reveals, neat action set pieces, and bizarre coincidences with the same ten people running into one another over and over. The original films built iconic imagery and characters in the context of them doing things and bonding and building. This was not always perfectly done, but it was done well enough to feel meaningful.

You can't just write a movie with the assumption you already have all of those things and skip the work it takes to get them. You can trick people for awhile by using the familiar imagery and beats and deconstructing the world with meta-humor (Abrams did that well for The Force Awakens if nothing else), but you just cash in that goodwill and cheapen all of that stuff by association.

Oh well, the big action movies these days are indeed made for children and China - I can't remember who recently said that, but it's true.
1,120 out of 1,775 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Space Balls had more respect for Star Wars than Disney
OpinionGuy22 December 2019
This new Star Wars trilogy is a tragedy, and the plot makes no sense in TROS, it just wasn't built up at all from the previous movies and is completely disconnected. And this new trilogy (specially TLJ and TROS) totally nullify everything story wise before it. To put it short Space Balls had more respect for Star Wars than Disney, and JJ makes Michael Bay look like Steven Spielberg. So as a long time Star Wars fan i will just pretend the new trilogy never existed and stick with the first 1-6 movies and Rouge One.
686 out of 1,082 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.