Peaky Blinders (TV Series 2013–2022) Poster

(2013–2022)

1,084 Reviews
Superb
grantss27 January 2019
(Review updated after Season 6).

Birmingham, England, 1919. In the aftermath of WW1, the Shelby family are making a name for themselves as bookmakers, racketeers and gangsters. Nominally the head of the family is the oldest brother, Arthur, but the real brains, ambition and drive in the organisation lies with Tommy, the second oldest. He will carve out an empire for himself that will stretch beyond Birmingham. This with the aid of his family and his gang, the Peaky Blinders.

Superb drama, created and written by Steven Knight. Gritty, realistic, intriguing and highly entertaining. Some great machinations, subterfuges, plots and counter-plots plus a good amount of action and human drama. Think The Sopranos set in the UK in 1919.

Some very clever storylines and plot developments. They sometimes threaten to become implausible and random (especially as the series goes on) but have a way of fitting together and all making sense at the end.

Great work by the main performers: Cillian Murphy, Helen McCrory, Paul Anderson, Sophie Rundle and Joe Cole. The secondary/guest performances include some big names: Sam Neill, Tom Hardy, Aiden Gillen, Adrien Brody, Noah Taylor. Tom Hardy is the pick of the bunch, as Alfie Solomons.

Great soundtrack too. Though set in the early-20th century, the music is mostly rock, and it works. Despite being anachronistic, the music works, giving the series an edgy feel. It starts with the theme track - Nick Cave's excellent 'Red Right Hand', a song that seems to fit Tommy Shelby perfectly. It continues with the scene-specific music and includes some great tracks. For example, in one episode alone you have Radiohead's 'Climbing Up The Walls', Joy Division's 'Atmosphere' and Black Sabbath's 'War Pigs'.

In addition, the show went out on a high, while it was still quality viewing. By Season 5 cracks were starting to appear: the plot in Season 5 was a bit loose and unfocused and ends rather clumsily, compared to previous seasons. Still great, but not as good as previous seasons and a sign that it had run its course.

The worry then was that Steven Knight would just phone it in for a few seasons to milk more money out of it and just end up ruining the legacy of the show. However, Season 6 is a great finale: focused, short and sharp, wrapping things up in style.
85 out of 98 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brilliant!
Supermanfan-1311 August 2021
Peaky Blinders is not only one of the most underrated TV shows of all-time but it's also one of the greatest shows of all-time! It's even better than all the hype and love it gets as more and more people are watching it and loving it! It's quickly becoming one of the better shows ever created! If you want to see how loved this show really is all you have to do is read through some of the reviews or look at the ratings. It's one of the rare shows where every season is just as great as the others! If you haven't seen this amazing show yet then do yourself a favor and go watch this show immediately!
120 out of 140 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Peaky Blinders Rises!
ahmetkozan8 January 2019
In Peaky Blinders we follow a family after the First World War that is always looking for power and money. But a policeman arriving at the city is looking to stop this family, but it's not easy. It will also be noticeable the segregated fight of ghettos like Italians, gypsies, local gangsters and Jews. Peaky Blinders is an excellent gangster drama full of rich, interesting and diverse characters. The fact that Peaky Blinders is a crime series can give the impression that characters are macho men. But this is not true. The series also incorporates many powerful female characters. It has an excellent cast and script. Thomas is a character who uses his strategic intelligence and applies violence to his own ends without hesitation. The film music is the highlight of the series along with Cillian Murphy and Tom Hardy. The director does resort to a modern soundtrack that reflects the fiction.

It is estimated that one episode of the series is worth 1 million and 1.5 million euros. This means a rich, detailed and beautiful work of art. Constantly supporting the narrative structure visually, Peaky Blinders often touches upon the working conditions of the working class in Birmingham. Peaky Blinders, with a color scale that chooses to contrast between pale blues and greens, and contrasts with the shades of red, makes the strongest manifestation of emotions in the midst of this unknown, while attributing a distinct obscurity to Birmingham's misty air. Also, the visual effects used from time to time are quite clever. The visual effects used are also quite compatible with the historical theme of the series.

Peaky Blinders makes each episode a separate action and drama. It's a breathtaking series where you can see the rise of Peaky Blinders. 9/10
299 out of 374 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Perfect!
deloudelouvain20 February 2015
This must be the best show that the BBC ever made. I absolutely love everything about this show. It is so refreshing compared to other new shows. The actors are all top notch. The constant battle between Cillian Murphy and Sam Neill is an absolute delight to watch. Helen McCrory as aunt Polly is another stunning performance. Annabelle Wallis is also very good. In fact every actor of this series is good. I can not fault anyone. The storyline with the dark industrial atmosphere form Birmingham post World War One all adds up to be one of the shows you can't dislike. The costumes and the surroundings are all perfect. It's like you took a time machine back to the beginning of the 20th century. Well done BBC, can't wait for the next season!
64 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Outstanding
kostasbour-396393 August 2021
I have never seen so much beautiful series in my entire life, the actors are amazing, scenario is outstanding, the "guest actors" (Tom hardy) are amazing. I don't know what to say anymore, the series is a huge diamond. Cilliian Murphy and Paul Anderson, also aunt poly belongs to my heart. Must watch series.
46 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awesome, outstanding show
Gatsby8113 August 2021
It is been all said. This is must watch. Story telling is amazing the acting is outstanding.
35 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nothing short of a 10!
avi-428831 August 2021
One of best series I've watched in a long time! Very good story, acting and direction. Highly recommend it.
17 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cillian Murphy as Thomas Shelby was treat to watch
cseabhi24 May 2020
One of the very well made british drama I have seen in TV Series. Compelling story telling with some really great acting lead by Cillian Murphy and the series that excels in all the other department...acting, direction, story, screenplay and the cinematography.
17 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Even better than the hype!
Supermanfan-1331 July 2020
Peaky Blinders is not only one of the most underrated TV shows of all-time but it's also one of the greatest shows of all-time! It's even better than all the hype and love it gets as more and more people are watching it and loving it! It's quickly becoming one of the better shows ever created! If you want to see how loved this show really is all you have to do is read through the reviews or look at the ratings. Every season is just as great as the others! Do yourself a favor & go watch this series immediately!
114 out of 162 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I'm in love with this show!!!
anniemarch28 August 2021
This show is one of my personal favorites. Cillian Murphy's acting is phenomenal. I really can't get over this show, because it's a masterpiece. I can't wait for the next season.
21 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It is good.
MsCateArcher18 September 2013
I was not expecting it to be this good,I really enjoyed all 4 episodes. The story is interesting,the acting is brilliant and the cinematography is just beautiful!I am eagerly waiting for the next episodes.When I compare Peaky Blinders to other popular TV shows that use sex,brutality and violence to shock the audiences and get high ratings(which they actually do)this sincere work is like needlework;fine,classy and detailed.The makers of this drama have not chosen the easy way,they have set off to make a first class period drama,that dares to be different.Cillian Murphy is at his best,I will even go as far as to say that this is one of the best performances I have seen of him.Sam Neil and Helen McCrory must be praised,all casting is perfect.Peaky Blinders sets high standards for other television dramas to follow.
278 out of 377 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The best Brithish Mafia series ever! 10 of 10
alxkywiciuffy19 August 2021
For me this series is one of the most unique Brithish Mafia/gangster series of all time,very inspirational,cool actors and scenes with amazing life from back then WW1-WW2! This is a masterpiece and will remain for ever, something that will remain in history!
15 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the Great series
bryangary655 August 2021
Epic storytelling and probably best television drama series from the BBC since I Claudius

Pulsating from start to finish with superb characters played by men and women who are perfectly cast, backed up by a terrific soundtrack.
19 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Peaky Blinders(2013-)
robfollower22 January 2021
In 1919, the notorious 'Peaky Blinders' are one of Birmingham, England 's most feared criminal gangs. Named after their practice of sewing razor blades into the peaks of their caps, the "Peaky Blinders" have interests in illegal betting, protection and the black market. Former war hero and brains behind the operation, Tommy Shelby, is eager to safeguard his family's success by making the business legitimate. But when he's offered a consignment of stolen arms, Tommy comes into direct conflict with Chief Inspector Campbell, a tough Belfast policeman who's been charged with recovering the guns at any cost.

Directors: Colm McCarthy, Tim Mielants, Otto Bathurst, Tom Harper, David Caffrey Writer: Steven Knight Starring: Cillian Murphy, Paul Anderson (XVIII), Sam Neill, Helen McCrory, Annabelle Wallis, Sophie Rundle

This show is one of the best crime drama series.The actors,the premise and the direction is really top notch.This show will transport you to England in the aftermath of World War I. And yeah Cellian Murphy is the best part of this show.The actor is great while portraying Thomas Shelby,the head of Peaky Blinders. A real treat for fans.
28 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is some damn fine television right here!
Peaky Blinders is like a BBC-HBO co-production without HBO's involvement whatsoever; it has British television drama vibes running through its veins and it's got production values comparable to Martin Scorsese' Boardwalk Empire, because this show feels like a response to it. And what a response it is: a loud, violent and beautifully-made period drama telling a story of crime, justice and life in the shadows.

This show's worth a go for any devotee of television drama anywhere.
24 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stylish gangster drama with realistically captured atmosphere
BeneCumb20 June 2016
/refers to Seasons 1-3/

In general, I am not particularly fond of series depicting criminal gangs, as there is too much swearing and violence, wrong values are promoted via lifestyle glorification, etc. But as I have always liked Cillian Murphy, I decided to dedicate dozens of hours to watch this series in succession.

The first episode was largely not too promising - the mood was too depressive, with WWI reminiscences, and it seemed that Murphy and Sam Neill would strongly dominate over other actors... But then it all changed and I grew steadily accustomed to the environment, location and period I am not very familiar with. Acting became a talented team work, and minor characters obtained their time and place to show their demand to be included into this sophisticated course of events. The rich cried too, and the famous died too - so one could not easily guess what would happen next. Additional points from me for the selection of music/songs, providing a deepening atmosphere to this not-so-bright life in the industrial town of Birmingham.

Apparently, the biggest value of this series is realistic depiction of both the venue and characters; even the gangsters are no numb bullies, but persons capable of versatile strong feelings and deeds. And each action has its reasons - as well as consequences.

So I am looking forward to new seasons already - Season 4 was strong again.

PS Season 5 has apparently the most compact dialogs, Season 6 is a nice round-up - and with a nice twist in the end... The pace is somewhat slower and Murphy spends more time on screen alone, but still - a very strong series.
25 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More music video than TV show
korereviews8 December 2017
Peaky Blinders is all style and no substance. Endless slow-motion shots to dramatic music of characters walking, smoking cigarettes, or squinting into the distance. The priority is clearly to make everyone look cool: cool when they're engaging in brutal violence, cool when they're suffering or dying, cool when they're eating breakfast. Every shot is either like a music video or a fashion magazine spread in period costume. The characters are props - lifeless mannequins. None of them feel like actual people, nor are they meant to. The actors here are all good, but they have nothing to do but pose. We're just supposed to be dazzled by how cool they look and sound. The fact that so many viewers seem to think this show is gritty and realistic is a depressing commentary on how on we as a society can no longer tell the difference between the fake and the authentic (and how little we care about the difference). This show and others of its ilk (like the even more popular Taboo) are just nihilism photoshopped to look sexy. Superficially seductive, empty at the core.
196 out of 295 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Starts strong, gets a bit wobbly
sean-rae10 May 2020
First few seasons are great fun. a bit silly in places but still has an air of cool about it. Tom Hardy adds a lot. season 5 is cringey, and boring. FYI all the actors who portrayed the billy boys in season 5 are now banned from the whole of Scotland
78 out of 104 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Razor sharp
Lejink10 January 2018
Missed this highly regarded series when first broadcast some years ago but was encouraged to watch it by friends and caught up with series one over the festive period. Personally I had no knowledge of the gang-wars in post WWI Birmingham involving the Irish, gypsy and the local community, but found the story of middle brother Tommy Shelby's seemingly irresistible rise to kingpin status wholly involving and entertaining.

It's easy to compare this drama with Scorsese's Hollywood take on the gangs of New York, but I hated that film with its cliched characterisations, violence just for violence sake depictions and some terrible over-acting, especially by Daniel Day-Lewis. There's very little of that in "Peaky Blinders" as it makes very few false-steps with a believable array of characters, carefully injected but not overdone scenes of brutality and convincing playing by its well-cast ensemble.

Central to everything is the coming-man Tommy, played with cold-eyed efficiency by Cillian Murphy, usurping his older brother Arthur (Paul Anderson) in the process. There's a tearaway younger brother too and a sister who happens to love Tommy's one-time best pal, now a firebrand Communist agitator and a matriarchal aunt cannily played by Helen McCrory.

The scene setting of the Birmingham slums, streets and factories is superbly done almost like a time machine has planted the viewer right there all those years ago. The linked stories of the six first episodes crescendo to a thrilling climax as Tommy takes on his established rival, a big-time racetrack bookie and takes in the involvement, make that entanglement with a pretty new Irish waitress who isn't all that she seems.

However a senior police officer's mutual fascination with her was really the only missed step in the narrative especially its rather silly, overdone culmination at the conclusion of the first series finale but I now can't wait to further witness Tommy's inexorable rise in future series in what may be the best reason yet for binge-watching boxed sets to my knowledge.
22 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Getting a little tired now going into season five
knifemagnet10 October 2019
Early on I loved this show. Eventually it is like watching the same episode over and over again. There is no depth of characters like we see in shows like Boardwalk Empire. Prior to watching season five I decided to watch season four again. The slow motion shots should go out the window at this point - it's just getting plain ridiculous. Add to that shots of characters parading into a room, with an air that they are the coolest people alive, like a teen given better clothes and a better hair cut on the first day of school - that is also really trying my patience. If I were asked what character recently portrayed on film annoyed me most I'd have a hard time thinking of anyone else but Arthur; if I was a Peaky Blinder I'd shoot him myself. But this is perhaps due to a good character, played by a good actor, that is irritating. Above all though, the vast majority of the music irritates me; could they not blend music of the time while retaining Nick Cave's intro and randomly chosen outros? Or how about the cliche parts where Tom never meets a woman that isn't ready to drop their panties for him - is this something that was borrowed from that awful show Entourage? And so, my struggle to get through season five goes forward. I've gone from a 9/10 at the end of season three, to a 7/10, and now to a 6/10. Wish me luck. Season six? No thanks.
80 out of 116 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You Do Not Mess With The Peaky Blinders!
anmoonage29 May 2021
Rich, brutal, complex, dark.

The series live in a muddy, gloomy setting, framed in mahogany and soaked in whiskey, clouded by cigarette smoke and covered in blood. Each character is like an open nerve or a time bomb, waiting to blow up right at the writer's command. The soundtrack is outrageously good and fits the 1920s surprisingly well. Cillian Murphy is brilliant in every way, I think I might be in love now.

Hoping for the season 6 to be the most dramatic one.
12 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good, but not that good
atrevino9026 April 2020
I wanted to like this show give how many people praise it, but having seen series as good as breaking bad, chernobyl, first half of game of thrones, better call saul, sopranos and others, this show is not among those actually good shows, but it is as good as, lets say westworld, though for entirely different reasons. Characters are solid, the acting is mostly good I specially like Hardy, but some characters like Polly are very inconsistent and becomes pretty annoying for no good reason other than to keep conflict going in the family. Everything is a little too dreamy plotwise and puts me off with a slight cringe from time to time, its a bit hard to care about the characters when they dont have enough depth, I think it just needs better planning to be what it wants to be, though overall it is good enough, I can appreciate the level of production it has and is undoubtly better than many other shows out there, just not quite among the best, I am very surprised it has an 8.8 average at this point, its more like an 8.4
49 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cillian Murphy's masterpiece acting !
leonghiacnn24 March 2020
After the show, you cannot stop thinking about Thomas Shelby. I've never seen any movie characters that stay in your head like that.
549 out of 591 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Must watch
dsgill-0265231 August 2021
Peaky Blinders keeps you hooked throughout. The occasional dull moments are followed by plot twists that make you sit up and get interested again. One thing I am unable to justify is the amount of adult content. It's in your face and sudden. If one adds up all the adult scenes across episodes, it will come to a full one hour of soft porn.
13 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The pesky blinkers.
Morejambo541 March 2021
This is very very good but as all entertainment there are problems with it. First of all the acting is the best I've seen in any television show and it remains consistent for every season. Being a fellow brit, I thought the accents where quite good, a little hard to understand sometimes which it would have been at the time period. The only persons accent i have a problem with is the leader of the billy boys, I can't remember his name, his accent was dreadful. Now, season one and two where my personal favourites, the pacing was excellent and knew when it had to speed up and take a break from the action which was so brutal and compliments the show so very well. The characters are were the show shines, the interactions they have between each other are son interesting and entertaining. The dialogue for every season, besides season three which I will get to, is extremely satisfying. The camera work is nothing too exciting but is grounded and works well for the nineteen hundreds were the show takes place. Also, my oh my was the villain great. Every single action he did was so horrid and made me hate the character with all my heart, which is what you want for a show like this. It's all due to the incredible performance by Sam Neill. Somehow the show makes you root for the alcoholic gangster murderers instead of an Irish police officer, it really takes a different perspective from any other television creation. Season three on the other hand was a bit lacklustre. The show tried to grow too fast, the peaky blinders all of a sudden had ten enemies and a hundred different problems to face and it all became a huge mess, sometimes becoming difficult to follow. The show also took a turn towards more buisnessy affairs which I didn't enjoy as much. Besides all this it was still great. Oh yeah, Tom Hardy randomly showing up for a small part was amazing, he's amazing in this show I just wish there was more of him. Season four picks it back up with a simple revenge story, and it works excellently. The villain is pretty simple, nothing too special with an overall bland and cliché performance from a-list actor Adrien Brody. Season five is pretty good as well, the start of the season is really strong and has the Shelby family in a feud but the show very quickly forgets about this and moves on to other, more boring things. The very ending is alright, it still makes me want to watch the next season or film whenever it comes out. I realise that I have been quite harsh in this review but the show is really good and has and will inspire plenty of other shows in the future. I forgot to mention the absolutely incredible soundtrack that features my favourite artists, Radiohead which instantly makes it better :)
14 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.