The Maid (2014) Poster

(2014)

Utter garbage
rjfwoodhurst28 June 2016
I felt compelled to write this, my first review, as the ratings for this have so clearly been rigged. This feels like a mediocre 6th form media studies project. The script is dire, the story-line hackneyed and the acting workmanlike. The casting too is awful - Jack is supposed to be 17 but has a clearly receding hairline that puts him at or beyond the actor's real age of 26, and the supposedly much older maid Maria looks (and in real life is) the same age. The father is very 'regional TV drama series'. The pace is glacially slow and there is constant hotel lounge-bar piano music in accompaniment.

My son and I just ended up laughing at the clichés and overall awkwardness. Don't waste your time on this - just dig out The Graduate again and marvel...
12 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Soap Opera Tripe
twotrybe9 April 2015
Jack, the main character, is a horny, whiny, self-centered bastard. The dialog is terrible. He is delusional with his affection to the maid who is much older than he is. You can't buy into this one bit with his whining all the time about his dead mother and his relationship with his father who he refers to by his first name. He is verbally abusive and you just don't have any sympathy for him whatsoever. He is manipulative and I found the other reviews on this astounding when they praise this film.

This id supposedly falls in love with the maid after two days. You just want to b@itch slap the kid after one day. He acts like he is entitled to his own suffering and that nobody else matters. Just avoid this film if you don;t want to get angry at this preposterous melodrama soap opera tripe.
22 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointing
totocol-178-53660827 September 2015
A good story but unfortunately spoiled by a terrible script and really bad acting. The actors are unfortunately not very believable and the teenager looked more like a 30 year old.

Kahane's French accent was not very believable ad unfortunately it is hard also to believe why a nice young girl would fall in love with a spoiled brat who keeps on insulting her.

The camera work was OK at some points and rather poor during some scenes.

The dad was a little bit more believable.

The story itself could have been made into a better film
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I hated this movie!
melialonso13 August 2015
BAD BAD BAD VERY BAD MOVIE!!!

If you want to lose 99 precious minutes of your life I recommend do anything else, NOT SEE THIS MOVIE !!

It's the worst I saw. The dialogue is ridiculous, sad performances and the story seems straight out of a bad , poor and cheap soap opera. It is impossible to empathize with the principal character.

I am so angry I did my user only to warn others innocent bystanders of this disaster , I can not believe that the film has 7.1 points and that 3 out of 4 reviews are positive

If there is a negative score would give -10 points this film, INCREDIBLY BAD !!

PS: apologize for my English, It is bad as the movie ;)
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring, clichéd, teenage fantasy
surge_01313 January 2016
The Maid is a disappointing story about a young spoiled alcoholic teenager Jack (Ryan Cerenko) who comes home to his father, falls in love with the maid, Maria (Claire Kahane) and through this relationship somehow mends his broken past. It is played out through sappy conversations, and unrealistic scenarios with a fixation on Jack somehow getting the "motherly" love he never got through Maria, who is nothing but a providing caricature of a woman. Jack is angry, spoiled, whiny, and somehow Maria just dotes on him. The fantasy continues, she nurses him the way he would as a baby, and even when they go out on a date later, he lies with his head in her lap, a constant reminder of his lack of masculinity and desire to be "babied". It's really a pathetic fantasy evoked in a male-centric universe as he denies affections from Becky (Olivia Jewson) a female peer that throws herself shamelessly at him, even going as far to offer him birthday sex, to obtain the affections of Maria.

The Maid is a waste of time. While most son/older women films run typically a darker side, The Maid remains just steeped in male-oriented dream of what could have been, with little point to be made.

Poor film, as some of these other reviews has mentioned, an artificially inflated IMDb score.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Rather not ...
keenast1 September 2018
... as there's nothing to enjoy or like or to think about. Mediocre acting of everybody involved, camera and lighting awful really and story just sooo predictable.

A so-called 16 year old guy (26 ?) hitting on a girl a movie doesn't make? Somewhat preposterous.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Juvenile male wish fulfillment
cruzarts-7394622 May 2020
Such laughable tripe delivered with urgent longing and fiery emotion reminiscent of an electric fireplace.

In what world does a hot maid dress in loose-fitting clothes, her lush hair tumbling around her shoulders, and she wears impeccable makeup while doing laundry?

That would be in the same world where she needs emotional rescue from a snotty Ameircan 18-y/o brat.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The bad greatly outweighs the good
dshannon104211 July 2019
The good: Claire Kahane is gorgeous The bad: Everything else. The acting, the dialogue, the character development, did I mention the acting? The "story" is of an incredibly obnoxious teenage boy (who looks nothing like a teenager) returning home to his father whom he's estranged from and treats the incredibly beautiful maid like garbage yet still somehow has a sexual relationship with her. The story is not believable, the dialogue is cringeworthy, and the acting is not good (have I mentioned this already?)
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
BAD BAD Horrible worst ever
hoomanfarahpour9 July 2017
I never seen the movie this bad I mean it was horrible . Waist of money and the worst waist of my time. It was so bad that I had to come here and write this .How can someone make the movie like this and make it to the production point. It's unbelievable. It shows in this industry it has nothing to do with talent or good script I just wounder how this one made it . Horrible screen writing the actors couldn't even play the simple scene. These are not actors and actresses. I hope they have second job. I'm just wondering middle of all people no one come up to producer say this is bad don't do this. The sad part there are so many talented people out there that they never get a chance.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Story of Innocence and Longing
angiequidim21 May 2014
This is a classic story driven movie where the interaction of the actors is complimented by the stunning cinematography from Paul Emmanuel. This moving piece has the audiences trapped in the emotionally charged relationship of Jack and Maria and how they slowly unravel their troubled pasts. Having a great story isn't enough if the actors can't portray the characters and the delicate interactions between them. Both leads had great chemistry and watching them is like two dancers constantly intertwining and separating with graceful movements. The locations and scenery is beautiful; the English countryside and a perfect place for love to blossom.
8 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
In This Case Age Matters
defiedxreality13 December 2019
Okay to start positively the main character is eye candy but his personality ruins anything you could feel for him and his dead mother story and I don't even know why he visits his dad at all.

So we know they are going to get sexual and that was creepy, he told her he wanted her for his birthday, later he asks her to be his mom while groping her and being sexual towards her. Would he have done that to his mother? And I felt awful as she clearly tried to get him to back off, almost gives you that rape scene feeling.

(He does not ever force her but he doesn't mind blackmailing her and throwing her son's story in her face. She was open and honest with him and only wanted one thing for him to forgive his dad and let her believe he done things he promised to do)

The guy didn't even try to stay with her, he got a good bang and back to the states...only there was a surprise but not a good one.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great movie !
novoselac25 September 2014
I watched this movie not knowing what to expect. On the one hand I was excited because I heard some good stuff about it, but as always, I was a bit skeptical because it is an independent movie. No big studios behind it. And it was a really refreshing change from watching the over-fed Hollywood blockbusters, that in the late time, tend to look-alike.

I won't give away much, but it is about somewhat forbidden fruit, love that was not suppose to happen. Young guy with a bright future falls for an older maid. The maid recognized many similarities between her and the young boy, and he reminded her of her own forgotten hopes and dreams. On the other side, he found someone who understands him.

Can they make it, can their love stand the test of time? Well, I recommend you to go and watch this nice movie and enjoy in it, as I have enjoyed. I give it a 8/10!
8 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent Movie
johntomccarty24 September 2014
I wasn't expecting this. A very interesting film from a director who knows his great directors and isn't afraid to wear them on his sleeve. I just say that Paul Emmanuel is a great writer and great director. He show emotional & chemistry between Jack and Maria. He also show past problem of them.

I am impressed to see this movie. My friend's and Me everybody enjoy this film. This story is an awesome creation of Paul Emmanuel. Dance of this movie is very good.This movies every artist have seemingly natural acting ability. This movies every location is beautiful and sound system is very good.

I hope everybody should see this movie to enjoy great happiness.This one surprised me. Much better than I expected.
5 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Interesting
OldPolitico15 September 2015
Miss Kahane is wonderful, the rest of the actors adequate. Cinematography and production values are good. Where this film suffers, IMO, is the writing. This seems a curious complaint to have to note when the writer is also the director. It seems to me that some of the dialog is repetitious and doesn't move the story along. The other problem for me is the loose ends left hanging which give the impression a sequel is intended. On the whole, it is a very secular story about forgiveness and redemption of a sort with which some viewers might not be comfortable. That's about all that needs to be said without getting into spoiler territory.

Let's go back to the plot. Jack, a very unpleasant alcoholic whose mother died when he was born, has been living with a maternal uncle in the States since his step-mother spilled the beans a decade or so earlier and let him know she was not his natural mother. Since then, his father has divorced and we never meet step-mother or half-brother. Jack has been goaded by his uncle into going to the UK to spend his 18th birthday with his father who lives alone but has a very attractive French woman, Maria, who comes in days to cook and clean for him. Becky, a local girl makes a play for Jack, but he rejects her to pursue Maria whom he also treats shabbily. At the end, we wonder if Maria really wanted Jack or used him for a purpose of her own.
2 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
AJAY SINGH JOHN
tubalayoutlook6 March 2018
I RELE LOVE THIS MOVIE I LOVED IT SO MUCH UP TO THE POINT WHERE I WATCHED IT AGAIN IT THE MOVIE CARRIES A ''MESSAGE AND MEANING'' RELE LOOKING FORWARD TO A PART 2 ?
1 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.