Shadow and Bone (TV Series 2021– ) Poster

(2021– )

If they don't get another season, I'll be distraught!
rayooyeyemi26 April 2021
One of the best fantasy television shows I've seen in a while. They did a great job of developing the side characters and building up the larger political dynamics at play, while also giving time to the main characters and their relationships.
369 out of 481 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"no mourners no funerals"
pkw-3533825 April 2021
Huge fan of the book series and i loved the show..how they combined two books and create this masterpiece is amazing..Show is huge improvement of the books.. I'm sure fans of the books will love the show... This is beyond epic..
308 out of 409 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great fantasy
TheFarscapeProject74723 April 2021
Fantasy shows on netflix is hit or miss, their biggest hit for me being The Witcher, this one comes in at a close second. It seems that they shelled out just as much of a budget for this show as much as TW. The sets, costumes and cinematography are all top notch. I find it interesting that the setting is like a fantasy world version of Russia. Plus gun battles and magic is not something I've seen in a fantasy show or movie before. The actors all do a great job as well, most of which are unknown to be except for Ben Barnes. I have not read the books but according to some other reviews the show is a good adaptation of them when usually their are massive changes. So if you are looking for a fun well made fantasy series this one is worth watching. I've watched half of the season so far and I'm trying not to watch the whole thing today but I'm hooked!.

Edit: ok I couldnt help myself, I watched the entire season cuz I think it was that good. However I have one complaint, at times the show is so dark you cant see what is happening, especially in the season finale battle scene. I'm talking Game Of Thrones battle of Winterfell dark, hence the 9. Other than that this is just as good as Witcher and Stranger Things, another success for netflix. Damn it I'm gonna have to read the books now, Please make a season 2!
265 out of 355 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantastic Adaptation
rosewelsh-6193723 April 2021
As someone who's read all the books in the grishaverse, I personally think this is an amazing and faithful adaptation. There are some minor changes to the characters, plot, etc, but I actually found that they improved upon aspects that were lacking in the books. I do think that it may be a little confusing for someone who is less familiar with the material, but overall the they do a great job fitting all the various stories together and having it all make sense.
235 out of 314 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How writing for cool moments ruins a story
meritcoba7 May 2021
Initially, I was hooked. Shadow and bone has a promising setting: late 19th century technology with magic on top. You get a lot of lore thrown at you and hardly any explanation, but, hey; I am okay with that. They explain things later, right? Well, perhaps or.. perhaps not.

Unfortunately, they slit their wrists by using happenstance, contradictions and cliches to tell the story. And they add insult to injury by introducing new characters, while they haven't established old ones. Less is more? Just throw that under the bus.

The writers are the culprits. They organized the story around cool moments. And then they had to connect them. And there is where it goes wrong.

A key moment is when Alina's powers are revealed. She is on a ship that is trying to cross this mysterious fold, a rift filled with monsters. The ship is open, and the crew exposed. Then flying monster's attack and this crisis invokes her powers.

The problem here is that the people know obviously that this attack can happen, but did not take any precaution against it, like roofing over the ship or putting most of the crew under decks. Or use a better transport. And a few episodes later a better transport exists: the conductor uses a metal train as transport the Crows across the fold. A train he apparently has built by himself, including laying tracks through that dangerous fold.

And here we see the writers at work. They first needed a cool moment to reveal Alina's powers, then another to carry the Crows across. And thus they create an inconsistent world: open, vulnerable transport versus protected one. If the latter is possible, it makes no sense to use the first. Unless you need it for the story.

The story is rife with these inconsistencies. Is the fold impassible? Well, no, because apparently entire armies cross it to fight each other. And people seem to go back and forth all the time. Or do they? Too dangerous, just perilous, or merely a challenge? Decide, please?

Enemies teleport in whenever and wherever. Alina's party gets ambushed soon after her powers are revealed. They give a flimsy excuse: someone must have noticed her powers. Really? Because they saw her powers from afar? But even that is inconsistent. The people at the edge of the fold didn't see her powers, but the enemy did? And then quickly concluded what she is, who she is, where she is and where she is going? I mean, even the General was skeptical, but they knew for sure? It makes no sense.

Alina's persona is also inconsistent. We get introduced to her as a bright, determined and inventive person. Then a few episodes later her character flips. She becomes a whiny, annoying and docile person. And not to mention she killed her fellow cartographers, but this hardly seems to bother her. Instead, she wines on and on about how hard her life is and about Mal, her friend from the orphanage.

And Mal, the male protagonist, suffers too. He somehow became an expert tracker and an expert boxer between the orphanage and the army? How? When? Please explain? But no.

This sort of writing is insufferable. You just make it up as you go along. They brush aside rules that are established at one moment, the next moment. The conductor tells the Crows not to move because it will throw the train from its course. One does and nothing happens. Baghra, her trainer, throws Alina out and tells her to come back when she believes in herself. Do we see that happen? No. Does she train Alina anyway? Yes!

Is this worth your time? Well, perhaps. If you don't care about consistency and relatable characters? I guess you give it a ten. Hilarious.
107 out of 141 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So good that it makes a non reader want to to read
randiwicker27 April 2021
Special affects are great. Story is a little slow in the beginning but ends up being well worth it! Makes me want to go buy the books because I want to know what happens next!!
193 out of 265 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Too 'teen' for me.
graham-319-2093991 May 2021
We gave up after two episodes.

It's not terrible, but the acting is stilted (possibly the fault of the script rather than the players) & the plot is just a bit clumsy, with sporadic exposition followed by a bit too much angst for the situation. It's definitely aimed at a teen audience; those who liked His Dark Materials, with which it shares a certain ponderous inevitability. There seems to be a lot to be explored, but it's weighed down by hesitant pacing & the awkward 'will-they-won't-they' of the two leads.

Whatever they're trying to do, I'm sure they'll manage to do it in the end, and very probably live happily ever after; I just don't have the will to follow their journey.
182 out of 251 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
From a watcher who didn't read the books
Expat-in-America27 April 2021
It's still fantastic, and it makes me wish I'd read them! I usually read a book series before watching the adaptations, but I just found this on Netflix. I did a little research to fill in the holes I may have missed, and I'm sure having read the entire book series would enhance your viewing, but you can definitely watch and enjoy without having done so. It's a beautifully well done series, and the acting is superb (Ben Barnes is always worth a watch). An intriguing premise and a whole new and creative world, in a sea of fantasy options we have available to watch these days (I just recently got hooked on His Dark Materials and The Witcher as well). It won't disappoint, when if you are new to the series.
172 out of 239 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wasted potential...
info-7543925 April 2021
I was very disappointed by this offering.

It was all over the place trying to tell multiple stories at once and failing miserably. What was the purpose?

Predictable to a fault.

The writing and direction wandered, the actors deserved better.
71 out of 94 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great fantasy drama without sex and nudity
tharushadilshara25 April 2021
This what fans of the books really want..some people think sex and nudity makes show better..but it's not..S&B has really great storyline and great cast.. That's why this show is better than other fantasy drams out there and it's different than others.. world building is amazing.. special effects are fantastic.. Acting is phenomenal..also costumes are so great.. simply this show is a "Masterpiece".

Show has very romantic moments..But show display that in a great way without going for unnecessary sex and nudity.

When we consider our cast, cast is perfect..Ben Barnes is born to play darklings character..his performance is phenomenal..Then Jessie Mei Li is amazing as a newcomer..she did a such a great job as Alina..Then "crows",they are my favorite characters.. their acting is great and actors who potray the roles of "crows" are amazing.. Simply this is an amazing show with amazing cast.. It's a masterpiece.
201 out of 283 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Oh was a disappointment after reading all the 10 star reviews
eronzierjoly6 May 2021
I usually find something to cling onto in these sorts of shows because I am a big fan of the genre. I regret to inform you that this was not the case here after having completed season 1.

I agree so much with some reviewers that the world building failed and that is a shame. Who is from which part and why does it matter? What are the worlds arguing about? What's the background? Wish there had been a short intro at least and a map. If there had been more focus on that then at least that would have added some much needed mystery and depth to the show.

What is left is an out of context teen drama with no interesting characters. The first episode was a little bit promising but it went downhill from there.
45 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just another teen drama
mascott-496101 May 2021
Just another teen book adaptation. Does nothing to deserve its Aus MA18+ rating. Predictable, bland, average acting. 5 different story paths to keep track off.
68 out of 91 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
copy and paste... Harry potter ,steampunk, carnival row... Teen drama
waltercarlucci25 April 2021
Its ok.. but not more... very cheese plenty of stereotypes. Im at episode 3 and its easy to guess what happens next. Very little world building and story telling, the story goes too fast. The character are not very interesting. Alina behaves like a 14-year-old. Kaz has exactly ONE FACE.... boring for adults...
105 out of 145 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How can someone compare it to GoT?
ivo-g-andreotti25 April 2021
It makes me wonder how many of these comments were paid.... there's absolutely no comparison to GoT, except for the fact that they are based on fantasy books. However, it would be the same as comparing Shakespeare to your 15 yo cousin's play.

The writing is either bad or focused on a 12 years old audience. The acting is overall bad, the photography mediocre and the general tone is cartoonish.
113 out of 157 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Teen bait
nickschmidtns4 May 2021
Everyone is young and hot.

They don't establish characters and explain their motive and cleverly write their characters intersections with motive.

They simply just don't explain who anyone is and call it cliffhangers and intrigue when in fact it's just lazy.

I don't know anything about the world or the characters or their intentions.

Sets and costumes are nice guess. If you can figure out why they're all East European /British.
62 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Magnificient
edathilsurya25 April 2021
Too many good books are being badly adapted into live action these days- but I can assure you that this is NOT one of those shows. It has a greatly paced, easy to grasp story with many wonderful characters that will keep you on the hook for 6 hours.
154 out of 219 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Give Ben Barnes an "EMMY" award
ufk-5383725 April 2021
Ben Barnes performance as darkling is phenomenal. He really deserves an emmy for that performance..He is born to play this role .Also Jessie Mei Li is amazing and did a such an amazing job as Alina... every other cast is great .. And specially our CROWS ,they are fantastic..such a great show with a great cast.
180 out of 258 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Binge Worthy.
ahamedmn26 April 2021
Good series based on the novel. A good adaptation. Perfect cast and screenplay. Vfx scenes are awesome. It has what it needs. Lead character and the villain character has steals the show. Perfect series tp watch. Superb lead for season 2.
95 out of 132 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent adaptation
wsm-8356126 April 2021
Shadow and bone can consider as one of the most stunning shows on Netflix..Do not believe any of those negative reviews. I honestly cannot understand why some reviewers have given this such a low rating. I think some people love the sound of their own voice and think their opinion is worth something and will be disagreeable simply.

Show has amazing storyline and great cast..cast is the best thing of this show..Cast is doing a such a great show..show is full of lots of characters and there are 3 main storylines..how they combined shadow and bone and six of crows (2 books), it's phenomenal..As a fan of the books I'm really happy with this adaptation..they really did a great job with everything in the show..
144 out of 205 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ebony and ivory
urbanswami25 April 2021
The show is an iteration of the oldest story in the book, which is nice, it's worth retelling. The worldbuilding is phenomenal, the characters are fleshed out and well acted. I don't quite get the romancing of tsarian russia, but it's as good a basis for fiction as any other, I suppose. I understand the show's based on a book trilogy; the season finale doesn't conclude the story and is a clear setup for another season, hopefully we'll get it.
121 out of 171 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best book adaptation
fub-8984725 April 2021
Are you kidding me?..What is with the negative reviews? This show is beautiful and well written show..I think this is one of the best adaptations .. Cast is so great .. Special effects and costumes are amazing.. everything is perfect..This show is a masterpiece .
176 out of 254 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Engaging and Gorgeous
Zenith_Kom23 April 2021
I usually avoid these Fantasy shows but I was planning to test 4k and HDR and I just couldn't turn it off to go watch my usual crime dramas.

Just my kind of pacing and non-linear storytelling.

Mei Lei is so charming and jovial in it without seeming melodramatic despite her situation, hope her character remains that way.

These baddies are quite endearing too, mostly due to the accent, gaits and postures.

But I'd recommend people choose some moderately brighter picture modes if they're using HDR, otherwise it might look too dark.

Hope the remaining episodes don't drag too much and it gets multiple seasons because the casting and cinematography deserves such rewards.

I also wish the book fans don't start hating on it overwhelmingly because I was expecting the usual vile reviews when I logged in here.

Give it a shot.
152 out of 218 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well crafted, enjoyable, satisfying and with great cast all at once!
baileybanks-7679426 April 2021
Rightfully reached its position among the best Netflix fantasy shows and I expect book sales to go up as well! Overally a fantastic show with unique worldbuilding, great new upcoming actors, fun elements but also drama and depth. Netflix really outdid itsself with this one! So just go watch it and lose yourself in this intriguing new world!
135 out of 193 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Some good element, good production values, thin story.
Caeradwyn30 April 2021
I think enjoyment of this series depends entirely on already being a fan of the books. This is typical teen girl fantasy. The love triangle between the chosen one protagonist, the life-long best friend and the supposedly charming, seductive, darkly menacing nobleman. There are parts of an interesting story here and there. The world is probably quite okay, although we don't actually get to see all that much of it. The biggest problem lies in the writing. It seems like the action is built along the standards of a turn-based RPG. If one person, especially a baddie, is doing something, then all the goodies are frozen off-screen until such time as absolutely required by the plot. It's infuriating, because there are at least a dozen times where the plot should have ended if it hadn't been for the fact that characters that are off screen doesn't get to act. After the 7th episode, I didn't really have any interest in how it was going to end, but I watched the last episode simply due to being a completionist.

If there's a second season, I won't bother with it.
29 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thoroughly enjoyable
darrenpwilson26 April 2021
Really enjoyed it. Could have done with a bit set out early doors on the background and history to 'set the scene' but otherwise really good!
83 out of 116 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.