Enough Said (2013) Poster

(2013)

Couldn't Get Enough
jordan224028 October 2013
My wife and I (in our 50s) went to see this with my parents (75 and 80). Mom was sorry to see it end. Yes, this is a movie that will appeal to an older crowd, especially if you have children or are divorced, and it's unfortunate that the younger sect will likely ignore it. It presents a very accurate perspective on parenting, especially as a divorced couple, and relationships at an older age. The dialog and portrayals of events/situations was very realistic and interesting enough to hold my attention.

It would benefit each generation to see movies that realistically address a different generation, to give us all a better perspective of life in general. I personally think I'd have enjoyed this movie even in my 20s, but in my 50s, I loved it. So did those in attendance with me. Makes you a little sad to know James G. won't be around to do more work of this quality.
125 out of 141 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Most realistic dialog I've heard in ages
divinemsh9 December 2013
I saw this movie this past weekend, when it FINALLY made it to a local theater. The fact that I found a lot of kinship with Julia Louis Dreyfus' character helped push it up a notch or two. Like her character, I'm a divorcée, and my only child, a boy, went off to college this past August. Fortunately, I'm not as needy, and would never think of inviting one of his (younger) friends to live with me after he went off to school. :-) All in all, very realistic dialog (it's not easy dating in your 40s/50s), and I think this captured an empty-nester's mindset very well. Great acting by all, but James Galdofini's performance as Albert was charming and bittersweet.
69 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Much better than box office will reflect
freemanpatrick76 October 2013
Considering that James Gandolfini is dead now and we'll never get any more from him I would have seen this movie if it was a $300 million bankbuster about a drunk Indian with a dead bird on his head. Thankfully it wasn't.

You never really know how good an actor is until you see him (or her) do something completely different than what you're used to. Gandolfini was incredible in this role, making you forget Tony Soprano or anything else he's done. He completely loses himself in the role.

Julia Louis-Dreyfus, I haven't seen since Seinfeld so I'm not as familiar with all her talents but this character definitely wasn't Elaine Bennis.

If you're tired of all the schlock Hollywood has been pumping out the past couple years and would just like some good old fashioned entertainment then this is the movie to see.
98 out of 118 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Enough Said", witty, wonderful and grown-up!
richardwhelan1729 September 2013
When I see a film and are still thinking about the characters the next day, I know I liked it."Enough Said" is one of those films..

A quality script that the all star cast brings to the highest level. The dialogue is so subtle, intimate and at times evasive that I could easily see the work on a stage. It has a modern day Pinteresque quality to it! The bitter sweet note is that as James Gandolfinos' last role, before his untimely death, it is his best. It seems like he was just starting to feel his potential as a diverse actor and "Albert" is a character we have never seen him in. Julia Louis- Dreyfus continues to amaze us with her portrayal of "Eva", a California single mom masseuse. I have always enjoyed her work especially in "Veep" but I think we will be delightfully surprised in the future with the range of characters she creates. Catherine Keener and Toni Collette who I would watch and listen to read a phone book, round out the cast. Go see it if you are in the mood for a "grown-up" film. Enjoy!
72 out of 87 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gandolfini is once again awkward and kind of crude but ultimately very lovable.
Hellmant27 December 2013
'ENOUGH SAID': Four and a Half Stars (Out of Five) James Gandolfini (in one of his last film roles) co-stars with Julia Louis-Dreyfus in this romantic comedy drama film written and directed by Nicole Holofcener. Holofcener also helmed such critically acclaimed movies as 2010's 'PLEASE GIVE', 2006's 'FRIENDS WITH MONEY' and 2001's 'LOVELY & AMAZING'. This film also co-stars Catherine Keener (a usual player in Holofcener's movies), Toni Collette and Ben Falcone. I think it's one of Gandolfini's best and most likable performances and Louis-Dreyfus has never been better or more lovable as well. Fans of honest and real romantic comedies should be more than pleased.

Julia Louis-Dreyfus stars as Eva, a divorced massage therapist who is not looking forward to her daughter, Ellen (Tracey Fairaway), going away to college. She goes to a party with her friend Sarah (Collette), and Sarah's husband Will (Falcone), and meets Albert (Gandolfini). Albert is a divorced father who's also not looking forward to his daughter, Tess (Eve Hewson), moving away for school. Eva and Albert hit it off and begin dating, despite the fact that Eva is not physically attracted to Albert (due to him being overweight). Eva also starts giving massages to a client she met at the party as well, named Marianne (Keener). The two become friends and Marianne tells Eva a bunch of horror stories about her ex-husband. When Eva learns that her ex is Albert things become complicated as she doesn't know how to tell Albert or Marianne that she knows the other.

The film is funny but in a very real way; I was really impressed with how much the movie felt so true to life. It has a lot to say about attraction and relationships, as well as family and divorce. Eva and Albert's relationship is the driving point of the film and the two lead performances really make the whole thing work. Gandolfini is once again awkward and kind of crude but ultimately very lovable. It's Louis-Dreyfus that really surprised me though. On 'SEINFELD' she was so self centered and unlikeable (like all of the characters on that show, except for Kramer) so it's really refreshing to see her be so adorable. She's really sweet and so is this film; Holofcener gives the movie the perfect touch once again and proves why she's an awesome indie film director. I really liked this movie and think most others will too.

Watch our movie review show 'MOVIE TALK' at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gmBnRGZV8o
34 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I enjoyed it but the most depressing and real romantic comedy I have ever seen. R.I.P. Mr. Gandolfini. I give it a B.
cosmo_tiger3 November 2013
"I've been listening to this woman say the worst things about the guy I'm starting to really like." Eva (Louis-Dreyfus) is a masseuse and a single parent who is tired of being single. When she meets Albert (Gandolfini) at a party she is surprised when he asks her out. She has a few dates with him and begins to really like him and tells her new client about him and the client begins to bash her ex-husband. When Eva realizes they are talking about the same guy she is torn as to what to do. I was interested in watching this because my two favorite TV shows ever are Seinfeld and The Sopranos. I also went in a little depressed because being a huge Gandolfini fan I was saddened at his passing and knowing this was his last movie made it a little bittersweet. All that out of the way I have to say that I did like this movie but it is not a typical romantic comedy. Most movie like this are light, mostly fluff and leave you feeling happy. When this ended I felt sad and depressed. Some of it had to do with Gandolfini and some with the movie itself. While this is still a romantic comedy it is very real and that added to the sadness. I'm not saying not to watch this because I did like it but don't expect to have a super happy time watching it. Overall, good and worth watching but the saddest romantic comedy I have ever seen. I give it a B.
34 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Sharply Observed Romantic Comedy of Manners
l_rawjalaurence23 October 2013
ENOUGH SAID is quite simply wonderful. Its plot is straightforward: a middle-aged woman (Julia-Louis Dreyfus) falls in love with a divorced middle-aged man (James Gandolfini). However the course of true love never runs smoothly, as the woman also becomes friends with the man's ex-wife. This ultimately leads to trouble. Within that straightforward plot, director Nicole Holofcener obtains two absolutely wonderful central performances. Dreyfus doesn't want to fall in love, yet finds herself inexorably drawn towards Gandolfini's shy yet bear-like personality. Physically imposing, he has a basic insecurity both about himself and his relationship with the two women in his life, his ex-wife and his daughter (Eve Hewson). Photographed amid the suburban sprawl of California, Holofcener explores the cracks underlying life behind the closed doors and immaculately manicured gardens. While the plot might seem familiar, the performances redeem the film, which is truly bitter- sweet and spell-binding. This was Gandolfini's last film before his untimely death; it stands as a fitting epitaph to a wonderful actor.
37 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gandolfini's post mortem movie
cinematic_aficionado19 October 2013
The unusual thing about this story is that it is about a woman between two people; not two lovers as one might expect but her boyfriend and his ex wife with whom they are friends and this ex wife cannot stop dishing the former husband her current friend is dating.

Another dilemma this woman is facing is the fact that her current boyfriend whom she has come to really like, is 'flabby' as she refers to him and on this matter I am pleased that Hollywood is raising this issue. Do overweight people deserve to be loved? This woman clearly was very hesitant due to the fact that he is overweight and could not fully express her affection becoming torn in the process between the poison spouted by his ex wife as well as expecting her circle to approve of him.

Interesting, intelligent and heart warming would perhaps be a fitting finale to the great James Gandolfini.
43 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Charms your socks off.
Sergeant_Tibbs29 December 2013
Earlier this year we lost James Gandolfini. Although he already left a rich legacy with The Sopranos, it felt like he still had more to give us. I saw an interview with Julia Louis-Dreyfus yesterday and while she put on a brave face, when asked about Gandolfini, you could tell how deeply saddened he was by his death. Good thing that Enough Said is such a joyous and light- hearted film despite inevitably destined to be associated with his death. I'm a fan of The Sopranos and I've never really watched or liked Seinfeld, but it's a genius idea to pair these two actors up in such off-type roles. There was a huge goofy grin on my face when they were on screen together. They shed those past screen images with surprising ease and reveal effortless human beings. That's the beauty in their performances. It's incredibly funny at times and quietly poignant in others. But it's a gentle film in its very casual visual approach and lack of emotionally explosive scenes. Unfortunately the subplots really bog the film down. They don't add to the film's point and are just not up to the same quality. The daughter subplot is the only one close but it wasn't focused enough. However, Enough Said is still a very charming film with a mature look at adult love and second chances.

29 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
this is one of the rarest mature romance comedies
MovieIQTest31 December 2013
first of all, i would like to say that i do miss James Gandolfini. his sudden past away indeed made me feel very regretful and sad. this film is perhaps his last swan song but like always sang in a such nice and natural way, making this film a very heart warming film that has become rare and rare in recent years. this film also re-telling us what could be called or categorized as a 'comedy', a 'good' and a 'very good' comedy. what i like most is that when you watched this film, it gave you a very mature, quite realistically down-to-earth feeling. of course, the coincidental relationships between and among these modern day couples or divorcées somehow felt not quite possible, yet at the same time, it also allow you to accept it to be happened possibly. the casting job was top notched, all of them were convincing and likable. there's nothing i could be picky to criticize or cursed, because it's such a nice film that left a very nice after taste when it ended. a very very lovely romantic comedy and most of all, a REAL comedy.
26 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A rom-com that's one of the finest films you'll see this year, in any genre.
shawneofthedead22 December 2013
Romantic comedies are predictable even for fans of the genre. Beautiful girl meets gorgeous guy. They're clearly made for each other. Invariably, they fall madly in love. But something or other gets in the way – a narrative obstacle that's serious enough to break them up but not drastic enough to keep them apart forever. Cue tears, misunderstandings, tantrums and more, until the inevitable happy ending trots along to wrap everything up neatly. It's all so painfully predictable that fans of romantic comedies now feel the need to qualify their taste in films: "I know they're terrible/predictable/silly/unrealistic/etc, but I like them anyway!" In other words, we're a long, long way away from the heyday of the romantic comedy in the 1930s and 1940s – when screwball ruled Hollywood and the films being produced were the finest in any genre.

Fortunately, every once in a while, films like writer-director Nicole Holofcener's Enough Said happen along – films so warmly romantic, funny and realistic (after a fashion) that they prove, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that there's life, quality and potential yet in a tired genre.

Eva (Julia Louis-Dreyfus) is a divorced massage therapist about to send her grown-up daughter off to college. She meets Al (James Gandolfini) at a party, and strikes up a sweet, tender relationship with him – without realising that her newest client Marianne (Catherine Keener) is Al's bitter ex-wife. Instead of coming clean when she first makes the connection, Eva remains friends with Marianne, picking up details about Al's greatest failings and foibles along the way.

A sillier, more farcical version of Enough Said could easily have been made – one that plays up the more ridiculous nature of this unusual love triangle: one side love, one side hate, one side initially blissful ignorance (on poor Al's part, at least). It would have, invariably, wound up on the ever-growing trash-heap of today's rom-coms: bland, silly, forgettable.

Instead, Holofcener has crafted something far finer and wiser: Enough Said is a sunny, charming comedy of manners, deception and relationships that cuts surprisingly deep. The film is startlingly powerful as an examination of the ebb and flow of a relationship: the way in which it can shift, deepen and curdle with the simplest of gestures. Eva and Al's courtship unfolds in the gently awkward way real relationships do, as they test each other's comfort zones and senses of humour. The connection between their characters feels genuine and not forced.

There are no outrageous, contrived twists breaking Eva and Al up: it's all on Eva, as she stumbles through her awkward friendship with Marianne towards inevitable disaster. Eva's slow, agonising betrayal of Al's trust – for that is what it is – is treated with maturity and intelligence: it's something we can imagine ourselves doing in her situation, a complication wrought by human curiosity and error rather than the typically ludicrous twists that break couples up in more traditional rom-coms.

Louis-Dreyfus, radiating charm and sunshine, is a huge reason why Holofcener's film works as well as it does. She makes Eva enormously sympathetic without ever suggesting that she is anything but a normal human being with her own pile of issues to sort through. In Louis-Dreyfus' skillful hands, watching Eva puzzle through her feelings towards Al in light of Marianne's complaints proves enlightening rather than alienating. It might be reprehensible, but it's also understandable, rich with insight into relationships, secrets and trust.

Enough Said is, tragically, Gandolfini's final film – and one of his handful of lead roles on the silver screen. It's a fitting farewell to an excellent actor, one that sees him eschew the histrionics and drama of some of his more flamboyant supporting roles. Here, he inhabits Al's burly frame with teddy-bear sweetness, lending him a quiet dignity as he finds himself increasingly, eerily reminded of his ex-wife with every day he spends with Eva.

Perhaps most impressively of all, Enough Said takes all the tropes that you've come to associate with rom-coms, and gives them a little spin for the better. The boy and girl here are a man and woman who have lived through their share of life and heartbreak. They meet, and fall in love: not in a saccharine-sweet montage of horse-drawn carriages and kisses atop the Empire State Building, but in long conversations and through meeting each other's daughters. There's even a sardonic best friend who provides comic relief, except here, she's a woman who feels frustratingly suffocated in her marriage, played with an undercurrent of sadness by Toni Collette. It all adds up to the finest, sweetest, deepest romantic comedies in years – a film that glorifies its genre while being so good that it comes rather close to transcending it.
13 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A fantastic movie, and a great closure to one of the greatest actor ever!
jackfire10126 September 2013
Went to see this movie not really knowing what to expect, i don't really go to the theater i went to, i just wanted to see this because it's going to be one of James Gandolfinis last films and i love Gandolfini in general. Turns out, i got more than i bargained for, it actually turned out to be one of my favorite films of the year, not just because of Gandolfini, but because of the other cast such as the wonderful Julia Louis-Dreyfus and many others. Loved what they did with it and i am so glad that the great life of James Gandolfini will be ending on a great memorable note. So please if this movie is play around somewhere, probably at an independent theater, please take into consideration to see this movie, whether your a fan of Gandolfini or just fun movies, this movie is great for everyone.
16 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Provides some closure for Gandolfini's premature death
estebangonzalez105 February 2014

Directed and written by Nicole Holofcener (Friends With Money and Please Give), Enough Said is a charming middle aged rom com that benefits from an incredible chemistry between James Gandolfini and Julia-Louis Dreyfus and a witty script. At first I had a hard time separating Julia's character from her sitcom roles, but eventually she began growing on me and I ended up enjoying her performance. The true highlight of the film however was the late James Gandolfini's performance. He was absolutely charming and delivers on a completely different range than what he showed in The Sopranos or most of his other film roles. Here he plays a very sympathetic and sweet middle aged divorced father who is having a hard time accepting the fact that his daughter is leaving for college. It was one of his best performances and he deserves all the accolades he's been receiving. Enough Said is one of those rare mature comedies that delivers authentic moments. It's a realistic and warm film that adults will enjoy. People who say that they don't make films for middle aged adults anymore should check this out. I am glad Holofcener is receiving so much love for this film because it's good to have a strong female voice in Hollywood. This is a film for grown ups about second chances and finding love after having failed in the past.

Eva (Julia-Louis Dreyfus) is a divorced middle aged mother who works as a masseuse. Her daughter is about to leave for college and so she's beginning to feel the void her absence will cause. After going to a party with her married friends, Sarah (Toni Collette) and Will (Ben Falcone), she meets Albert (James Gandolfini) a divorced father who is going through a similar experience with her daughter. The two hit off pretty well and begin dating. At the same party Eva also meets Marianne (Catherine Keener), and she becomes one of her clients. Eva quickly becomes friends with her admiring her style and good taste, but when she discovers that Albert was her ex-husband who she speaks terribly of, she begins having second thoughts about starting a relationship with him. She continues to date Albert and befriend Marianne without ever telling them about each other while she tries to make up her mind about giving love a second chance.

This romantic comedy drama is charming without ever being unauthentic or ringing false. It seems to hit all the right notes at the right time. I loved the scenes that Gandolfini and Dreyfus shared together, especially their first date. The scenes they shared together sitting on his front porch were also very touching and charming. Toni Collette's accent in this film felt a bit out of place, but I enjoyed the rest of the performances and every character was developed pretty well. The film does say something important about the power behind words and how much the opinion of someone we admire affects us in the way we perceive others and make decisions about them. Despite how much Eva liked Albert she let Marianne's perception of him influence her in the way she saw him. Enough Said is just one of those warm films that are hard to resist. Gandolfini truly shines here.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Go see it but don't expect anything extraordinary
therunner421 December 2013
Enough Said is an interesting movie that won't offend anybody. It's a pleasant enough way to spend the afternoon but you won't remember this film in ten years' time. It is the story of an early forties woman Eva (Julia Louis-Dreyfus from Seinfeld) who falls in love with the much bigger much less attractive Albert (James Gandolfini from the Sopranos in one of his last ever roles). Despite the fact that Albert suffers from self-confidence issues, he is warm, funny and very easy to love. Eva is not sure and it is fun watching her fall in love with him anyway. It is an unremarkable story with scenes that so far from the dazzle of Hollywood and so ordinary that you feel like the characters are just friends of yours and you are simply watching two friends fall in love. There are some interesting subplots as well. It's a unique feeling watching things on screen that you see in very day life and I did enjoys this movie. However, sometimes I wondered if the director and scriptwriter were just little lazy. That said James Gandolfini is wonderful and it's worth your $13 just to see him one more time. Go see it but don't expect anything extraordinary.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great cast, lousy script, bad filmmaking
nekoudacreative14 October 2013
Enough said, said enough in the first ten minutes.

The story was predictable from beginning to end. I even found myself mouthing lines of predictable dialog before seconds before the actors themselves.

The entire cast of actors is excellent but wasted on a mediocre script and inept directing. Long, pointless dialog scenes which aim to be clever but fall flat caused me to simply tune out despite the considerable charms of the cast.

Julia Louis-Dreyfus plays a masseuse but she looks so unfamiliar and awkward in the job, it calls attention to the entire vision of the writer-director that her character, like all the characters is a story concept not a real human being. The fact that she is an amazing actor saves the day. She shows an honesty and openness that makes the film bearable.

Even the late, great James Gandolfini while pleasant to watch seems to be running on fumes. Save this one for video, its not worth the price of admission.
15 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wonderful, feel good movie.
Emily58415 October 2013
Both my husband and I enjoyed this movie a lot. It was neither a chick flick or a macho flick. It was just a good, smart movie about life made by smart, caring people. We saw it at London Film Festival premier and also had a chance to participate in the chat with the director and Julia Louis Dreyfus. They are both funny and witty women and it seems like together they created a fun, meaningful movie, which was very pleasant to watch. Late James Gandolfini was also amazing in his role, a much different guy than his famous Tony Soprano portrayal. Very sad we lost this wonderful actor. Movie is about middle age people, their relationships with each other with their kids, exes etc. The story is beautifully told and void from clichés. It was a pleasure to watch.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I Can't Say Enough
nikicianciola-702-65763330 September 2013
I will first start by saying that I watch a lot of movies and I don't ever think that I have given a movie a ten before...until now. I simply loved this movie. I didn't hear much about it before it came out, and honestly when I saw the poster last week I wasn't that interested (I know, a bad way to decide whether to watch a movie or not)! I read some of the reviews on IMDb and found out that the writer and director was Nicole Holofcener who also did Lovely and Amazing and Please Give, both of which I really enjoyed. I then also saw that she directed some episodes of Six Feet Under, Sex and the City, and Gilmore Girls all of which I love! Anyway, I went in with high expectations, but I have to say I was blown away. This movie was smart, funny, touching, and a bit sad at moments. The acting and chemistry (although sometimes awkward) was great between Dreyfus and Gandolfini. I believe this is Holofcener's masterpiece, and this was a true blessing that this was Gandolfini's (unknowingly) last role that he would ever play. We saw a different side of him through his character and he was superb. Dreyfus, as always, was funny and right on point. I loved these characters and the plot of this story. I don't know if the actors actually read these reviews, but I hope they do. This film was a true gem in a time when quality movies are hard to come by.

I hope you all take a chance on this movie and I hope you love it as much as I do!
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A beautiful movie
cristhak9 February 2021
I kept smiling throughout - and that pretty much says it all!

Sincere, humane, truthful, with a great cast. Have watched it twice in the last year.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great acting, stupid movie
motezart13 October 2013
I went to see this film for two reasons, because it got great reviews and because of James Gandolfini. Unfortunately, the reviews were wrong. Great performances by Dreyfus and Gandolfini are forced to cohabitate with a terrible, mundane plot. This makes it impossible to feel sympathy for the characters or their lives. It seems as if the characters are purposely depicted in a way as to evoke pity. This is enraging because these characters are not pathetic in the least. I tried really really hard to empathize with the them, but it was impossible. They are just not realistic and therefore impossible to care about.

Julia Louis Dreyfus' uninteresting character egomaniacally brings on all her own misfortunes. We see her make bad choice after bad choice. It is no wonder that she ruins all her personal relationships. She's an idiot! But Dreyfus' acting is fantastic. What a paradox!

The most enraging thing is that this film was advertised as a humorous drama. I left the theater post-film, fuming at being misled. I felt I'd had been taken like a sucker into thinking this was some kind of quirky little indie film, something Squid and the Whale-ish (even though I don't like Squid, I like that genre). I would have accepted the film more openly had it at least been a romantic comedy, but Enough Said is a full-on romance. It has some hilarious parts, but they are single handedly the result of Dreyfus' spectacular performance.

This film snubs us unlucky people by declaring that it is in fact our own fault that are we live screwed up lives. But we unlucky people don't want to be told it's our fault. We like to blame the world for our problems, and we like to see charters on the screen that fall from grace not because they fly to close to the sun, but because the sun explodes and engulfs them in flames.

I can name on one hand the romances stories I like, so perhaps by not being part of this film's target audiences I am negatively biased. Whatever it was the film's producers were trying to evoke in me, they failed at it.

More reviews at getthebonesaw.blogspot.com
12 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An amazing dialogue & a smart rom com
maria9race15 April 2020
Probably my favorite movie of all time! I absolutely adore the dialogue. Love it, love it, love it.
masterpiece romance drama
shahbaj-3739210 August 2017
if you are seriously a fan of romance drama its for you ..you must watch it i don't knw why such movie don't gain attention as much it deserve internationally.. watching james Gandolfini aka tony soprano in romantic drama is pleasure to see and acted perfectly with Julia Louis- Dreyfus.. i have seen movie 10 times and i m still in a hangover of its direction and scripts and dialogue everything is just so beautiful. must watch
Enjoyable Middle Aged Rom-Com
TimMeade14 November 2013
Enough Said is the latest occasional cinema offering from writer and director Nicole Holofcener whose mainly television credits include Six Feet Under and the witty Parks and Recreation.

It is a middle-aged rom-com centering on a budding relationship between two fifty-something divorcees Eva (Julia Louis-Dreyfus) and Albert (James Gandolfini). Eva, an unfulfilled masseuse finds a common bond with the overweight and slightly slob-prone Albert, a television librarian. Both are struggling with the realisation that their respective daughters are soon to leave home and State as they go off to further education. Eva shares her experiences and details of her incipient romance with a coterie of friends, the therapist Sarah (Toni Collette) and successful poet Marianne (Catherine Keeler).

The film's comedy though pretty firmly rooted in safe, white bread territory is nonetheless both funny and nicely played. There are some very enjoyable set pieces and the dialogue between all the protagonists flows nicely – the characters are well drawn. There is distinct chemistry between Julia Louis-Dreyfus and James Gandolfini, in his penultimate screen performance. Eva's slightly down-trodden persona matches nicely with Albert whose perceptive nous is perhaps under-rated by those who judge him on his physical appearance.

The twist, when it comes, relies on a previously latent and unknown familial relationship – a fairly common device for a rom-com. But, unlike the similar twist in Crazy, Stupid Love this one is both believable and within the flow of the film's story.

The film's main strength lies in the high quality of acting from the two romantic leads who are ably and well supported by Catherine Keeler and particularly Toni Collette. Gandolfini is given the strongest role by Holofcener – a wise decision, giving the film better balance with he being the only non-peripheral man in the piece.

The main criticism to be made is of the sub-standard editing which jars several times and is distinctly off-putting. The musical score is nothing to write home about either. But both these minuses need to be put into the context of an amiable and pleasant film which, whilst not delivering anything new, is well paced and engaging – it has no pretensions to be avant garde. It knows its niche and sticks to it.

Last year, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel defied the mainstream critics and became a success as it found an audience who enjoyed the sight of people far from the first flush of youth who had not given up on love or the idea of sex. I believe Enough Said might enjoy support from a similar audience. It deserves it.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Listen to your heart...and not to your lovers ex wife's bitterness
Ed-Shullivan2 November 2013
My wife and I went out last night to see a movie that would help us relax after our dinner and Enough Said was perfect for our digestion. If you have an appetite for a light romantic comedy than Enough Said will not disappoint. The two main stars Julia Louis-Dreyfus and James Gandolfini play a pair of divorced and currently single parents who each respectively have a daughter who is going off to college in a few weeks. Through a chance meeting at an evening party Eva (played by Julia Louis- Dreyfus) and Albert (played by James Gandolfini) bump in to one another and exchange what appear to be a few meaningless words about the dating pool being a bit sparse at the party they are attending. Of interest to some viewers, this was the second last movie appearance by James Gandolfini before he passed away in June 2013 well before he should have. He is missed dearly.

A few days later Eva's good friend Sarah (played by Toni Collette) who was also at the evening party suggests to Eva that Albert was interested in seeing Eva sometime. With a little bit of prodding by Sarah, Eva eventually agrees to a first date with Albert, and they enjoy each others company after exchanging a bit of information about their respective daughters, their divorces, and their now ex spouses.

We as the audience are keenly interested in how Eva and Albert's relationship will blossom or blow up. Albert has a unique job as a Manager of a television archive library which he truly loves, and Eva works as a masseuse but she is not crazy about having to carry her heavy massage table up and down clients stair cases and listen to some of her customers' blather on to no end. One of Eva's recent new clients is a poet named Marianne (played superbly by Catherine Keener) who she coincidentally met at the same evening party that she first met Albert. Marianne appears to have a connection to Albert that we the audience do not take long to figure out based on Marianne's griping about her ex husband and the father of her daughter.

Eva is very fond of Albert but she admits to her good friend Sarah that she is reluctant to make the same mistakes that she made with her previous relationship and her first husband. Even the difference in the way Albert is bringing up his teenage daughter leaves Eva questioning his parental skills compared to her own.

These are two very different people Eva and Albert. They have different physiques. Eva is petite, and Albert is a big bowl of jelly who is very comfortable in his own skin and his pajamas. They have different home lives, and different career paths. Albert is definitely the more laid back person in this relationship and he is willing to hang out (sometimes literally without knowing) with Eva without hiding anything in his past life. Eva on the other hand is more judgemental and willing to give free advice to Albert and others but not so willing to be on the receiving end of criticism.

Enough Said has many humorous segments and interactions amongst the main characters. The characters are all flawed (as we all are except you the reader of this review of course) and the story line if there is a message is to try and let bygones be bygones and move on with your life and learn from your mistakes. No one is perfect, so if you find a mate that your heart is saying warm and fuzzy things to you, tell your judgement to give it a rest because there is enough said!
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
good script, sabotaged by a huge casting misstep...
arbyuu2 January 2014
This movie had potential. A good and credible storyline, and a fine performance by the late James Gandolfini. In a story about two wounded, lonely hearts who find connection, Julia Louis-Dreyfus is a disaster in the role of a somewhat awkward middle-aged woman who has been hurt before, but who is willing to risk hurt and rejection for the chance of new romance. Louis-Dreyfus corrupts her character into a needy, unbalanced, self-absorbed nut-job (did I say unbalanced?). Instead of that warm romantic feeling we're supposed to have for these two, I found myself screaming at Albert (Gandolfini) to run like hell! The tragedy is that Gandolfini is well cast in his role and that he does an excellent job drawing us into his character. The movie is a bitter-sweet romantic drama, but Louis-Dreyfus plays it like an episode of Seinfeld. So sad that this was James Gandolfini's last movie. Enough Said, Indeed.
11 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A sweet movie about loved
abcvision23 October 2013
Eva (Julia Louis-Dryfus) seems to have it together, a fulfilling job as a masseuse, a daughter that is ready to go off to college, and a healthy approach towards life. In comes Albert (James Gandolfini) a middle age good guy, who pursues Eva and nice guy with a few imperfections. This romantic comedy hits on the themes of finding someone you love who is compatible but not perfect. Smart, fun, and real, this story is a heartwarming tale. James Gandolfini does a great shop of playing the vulnerable Albert and a true break out role from the typical gangster role he plays, too bad he was taken from us way to early before he hit his creative prime.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.