Keeping Up with the Joneses (2016) Poster

Snore
the-nall-tsarina3 November 2021
Exactly as you predict.

No surprises. This film will unfurl exactly as you expect it to with all the usual campy action and unfunny comedy pieces that Hollywood ships on a conveyor belt every year. One is trusting. One is not trusting. The untrusting cannot convince the trusting... zzzzzz It's zionist gal by the way. She knows how to hold a gun!
14 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worse than people here say.
jj-abrams-out-of-airlock25 September 2021
Ya know, everyone in real life I know hated this film. It's derivative and predictable. Then you come here and a bunch of civilians making comments about real life spies and tool bags loving this flick. Whatever, watch it and suffer!!
16 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
unconvincing
kinoshita-jp7 December 2021
It is too much of a formula. The acting is OK for such a film Zionist gal is as stiff and wooden as ever.

All I saw was Gal Gadot trying to act as either an action heroine or house wife and not doing a very good job.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funny & Silly (For me latter wins)
pawanpunjabithewriter19 September 2021
I have been looking for this movie everywhere for years. In mid 2021, I happened to know it's now on Hotstar. I jumped on it, however, not in the greatest of moods I expected I would watch this movie in. The Cast is exceptional. Gal Gadot impresses yet again. Zach is not the Zach we have known. He seemed lost through out. He didn't seem to be in character. I didn't expect such from the actor I was watching this movie for. He really didn't do a good job.

Coming to the story, it seemed average, not bad really. For first, it felt as if I'm watching the remake of a bollywood movie, Ajnabee. That movie was on another level. And this one, really kept losing the sense. It didn't have much comedy either, all the comedy it had made it even sillier and dumb. It felt as it it will pick up, but it didn't much. Although the end was convincing enough, however the antagonist was meaningless and weak; very weak. We love to see comedy, however, not with antagonist's silly mistakes making the crowd laugh. An antagonist is expected to be the strongest individual than any in the story. And the movie is a journey of the protagonist's struggle, failure, hard work and ambition, and a process of making him stronger than the the antagonist with such struggle, hard work and failures. This movie lacked the base a story has. For comedy, it tried a lot, still, couldn't deliver. They ticked only one box rightly of a sound story; having a proper climax. They justified the new couple's existence and designed a proper end to it.

I was disappointed with this movie, however, If you are looking to waste time or want to watch something for passing the time, you can give a try. It won't keep you at the edge of your seat though.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A little generic & predictable but a movie that will keep you laughing and extremely entertained the entire time.
cosmo_tiger12 January 2017
"Ten years, thirty countries no one finds us out and we can't even last a week in suburbia." Jeff (Galifianakis) and Karen (Fisher) Gaffney are a normal suburban couple with an average non-exciting life. When a new couple moves into the neighborhood they become friends with them, but the new couple has a secret. Now Jeff and Karen are put in the middle of a deadly high stakes deal with no idea what they are doing. First thing I have to say about this is that the movie is really funny and entertaining. There really isn't anything all that new and the movie is a little cookie cutter, but the acting and jokes make it seem fresh and exciting. The chemistry between all four of the actors is almost perfect and really helps the movie a ton. This movie won't win any awards or become a classic, but it is hilarious and I laughed throughout the entire thing. That is what a good comedy should do. I would compare this to Central Intelligence. You pretty much know what's going to happen the entire time, but you can't stop watching and laughing. Overall, a little generic and predictable but a movie that will keep you laughing and extremely entertained the entire time. This is a great watch. I give this a B+.
58 out of 100 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Autistic Reviewers Opinion Of This Movie.
autisticreviewers23 October 2016
"A suburban couple becomes embroiled in an international espionage plot when they discover that their seemingly perfect new neighbors are government spies. " The comedy of "Keeping Up with the Joneses" comes from exaggeration. Mottola and screenwriter Michael LeSieur play up a suburban oasis for Jeff and Karen, with the pair living an idyllic life in a beautiful home. She's an interior designer, he's a practiced corporate negotiator, and while their marriage is stable, it's become flavorless. You've seen these characters before, and the production does little to disturb expectations, highlighting sexual dysfunction in the household, with newfound summertime freedom inspiring thoughts of savage coupling, only to have the pair maintain distance out of habit. There's no twist, no larger message of love. Jeff and Karen are set up as cheerful nothings easily overwhelmed by the arrival of Tim and Natalie, who stun their neighbors with flawless style, beauty, and sophistication. They're incredible, bewitching the community with tales of international travel and the display of impressive dart-throwing skills.

Gal Gadot is always good at playing at the sexy lady and Jon Hamm was good at playing his manipulating and sly character. There's hardly any jokes that work in the movie, and if it wasn't for Isla Fisher and Zach Galifianakis's improvisational Comedy it would've flopped big time! The movie had one of the biggest disappointing showdowns we've ever seen. All in all, it's not a disastrous movie, but your best bet is to rent it on Netflix. 5/10. 2/5 stars.
44 out of 76 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another silly spy spoof saved by solid acting performances
ayoreinf20 October 2016
I've got a thing for spy comedies, I've seen most of the recent ones and many of the older ones. It's a genre so based on plot twists that most of them can be seen a mile away, especially if you've already seen some. This one is no different. No real plot twist is really surprising, including the final joke. And still, I had loads of fun watching it, because most of the jokes are actually character driven, and the characters are very well written, and well performed by most. That is, Isla Fisher, Zach Galifianakis and Jon Hamm, are practically super. Gal Gadot got the warrior woman with the menacing looks nailed to the teeth, but is a bit less convincing when she has to be sensitive or subtle. It doesn't happen often during the movie, so it's not a big issue, but there are a few moments in which she's off character. But everybody else around does such a good job, the jokes work, and the pace is fast enough for us not to care it's not so very surprising.

I liked it, most of the people around me in the cinema liked it too. If you don't expect a masterpiece, just plain simple fun - you'll find it here.
67 out of 128 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not hard to keep up with, it's a very OK.
subxerogravity21 October 2016
It's a pretty good comedy.

The average Suburban family gets a new neighbors, who are more than what they seem. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Zach Galifianakis and Isla Fisher made a cute couple in the movie. very good comedy duo in an mediocre film.

Jon Hamm is a fantastic straight man for the comedy that Galifianakis was dishing out.

Gal Gadot is impressive. She's the one who has to keep up with the other three and she does a good job. i don't think I've seen her do anything outside the Fast and Furious movies so it was nice to see that she can do something else.

I know i'm sitting here writing about the film, but for the most part there is really is not anything to write about. It gives you enough laughs so I feel like I did not waste my cash, but it's definitely not a movie you'll remember down the road. Nothing spectacular.
39 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than people here say.
sathervbc6 May 2019
Ya know, everyone in real life I know loved this film. It's fun. Then you come here and a bunch of civilians making comments about real life spies and tool bags hating on this flick. Whatever, watch it and consider it entertainment like it was Intended.
34 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Has Some Fun Moments. What Else Did You Expect?
namashi_14 May 2017
'Keeping Up with the Joneses' is a fair Spy-Comedy, that has some fun moments. Its got some laughs, despite all the silliness around. What else did you expect anyway?

'Keeping Up with the Joneses' Synopsis: A suburban couple becomes embroiled in an international espionage plot when they discover that their seemingly perfect new neighbors are government spies.

Zach Galifianakis, Jon Hamm, Isla Fisher and Gal Gadot are the true strengths of 'Keeping Up with the Joneses'. Zach is happily stupid & raises some good laughs, Fisher is fabulous, Hamm is anything but a ham & Gadot is the hottest thing you'll see on the big screen in a long time. The 4 talented actors sportingly deliver in this predictable comedy, showing us their potential yet again.

Michael LeSieur's Screenplay is fair, with some hilarity in store, while Greg Mottola's Direction is satisfactory, at best.

On the whole, 'Keeping Up with the Joneses' is a great way to kill a dull afternoon.
16 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funny and far out plot and it's a sexy tease.
blanbrn26 October 2016
"Keeping Up with the Joneses" is one fun and funny feel comedy drama that seems a little unreal still it entertains! Set in Atlanta, Georgia in an area that's nice a suburban couple Jeff(Zach Galifianakis)and Karen(Isla Fisher)seem to have the perfect life then all of a sudden their life is turned upside down by a new couple who move in next door named Tim Jones(Jon Hamm)and Natalie(Gal Gadot). Soon strange things start to happen and it's seems odd, but soon it appears that an international spy plot might be going on! Aside from that this film is funny and full of good one liners and sexy scenes especially the one of Gal Gadot in the try on room with all of those sexy colored bras, and Tim and Natalie even tie up and duct tape the mouth's of Karen and Jeff's neighbors. Really a wild and crazy type of a film, probably not everyone's cup of tea still it's worth a watch due to it's laughs and sexy scenes a tease with two beautiful ladies in Gal Gadot and Isla Fisher, so if your looking for a carefree feel good time then give this movie a watch.
42 out of 91 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A fun suburanite/spies mashup
sedenhansen-618492 January 2017
This film was a lot of fun! A suburban couple dedicated to their kids, careers and cul-de-sac neighborhood have their orderly lives upended by new neighbors who seem a bit larger than life and turn out to be just that. The film has fun with the characters (whose personalities drive a lot of the humor), their reactions to their changing situations, with everyone trying to keep their priorities straight. The conventions of spy movies are entertainingly employed and spoofed. Overall, a good mix of humor and action, and also has a sense of respect for all the characters.

Being in a similar stage of life and circumstances to the main characters (minus the car chases, explosions and such) likely added to the enjoyment.
29 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Annoyng Jeff
bluewood313 May 2021
His character is really annoying and stupid, considering the movie is already little bit silly except his character issue.

His pointless and meddling attitude in many situations are absurd. Not logical, funny by all means.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of this year's worst comedies
Ramascreen20 October 2016
There's nothing I hate more than a comedy movie that seems to be funny only in its trailers or previews but the movie itself, in its entirety, fails to crack you up in every possible way. Look, when you come in to watch a comedy, there's a certain expectation that you'd be laughing out loud, and so when that doesn't happen, it becomes a total waste of time. And that's KEEPING UP WITH THE JONESES for ya!

Zach Galifianakis and Isla Fisher play an ordinary suburban couple, the Gaffneys, whose lives are mundane. Their kids are out to summer camp and they have the whole house to themselves, but the can't even get themselves to go wild and have fun. Until the mysterious new neighbor moves in, The Joneses, played by Jon Hamm and Gal Gadot. They seem so sophisticated, so accomplished, so exciting and perfect and this whole thing attracts the Gaffneys,.. that is until they discover that the Joneses are covert operatives.

I was ready to call this film the Mr. & Mrs. Smith of Comedy, but I take it all back now, because as far as action comedy goes, KEEPING UP WITH THE JONESES is as dull and unexciting as the Gaffneys are. I wonder what exactly is it about Michael LeSieur's screenplay that made the studio and the producers want to gamble on it. Every punch line in this film goes way past your head because it either tries too hard or doesn't even try at all. And the film badly wants to be perceived as making some kind of effort to tackle themes of coupling and marriage or the complications of relationship, but what ends up happening instead are the characters arguing among themselves and we the audience tuning them out . Engaging is not even in the same area code as KEEPING UP WITH THE JONESES which should be an example of one of the year's worst films.

-- Rama's Screen --
35 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of this year's best comedies!
saarvardi21 October 2016
Save for maybe Bad Moms, 2016 hasn't been very kind to comedy. And after just recently being submitted to such atrocities as The Boss and Masterminds, I was ready for another big disappointment at my local theater. A free ticket to see Keeping Up with the Joneses, as well as a chance of getting a "boys night out" with my neighbor, convinced me to give this latest offering a chance after all. Boy, was I in for a treat.

Keeping Up with the Joneses has this great nostalgic feeling, a kick back to those wonderful 80's comedies that fuse action and humor, while actually making you care for what the characters are going through. It's a bit of the oddball The 'Burbs with elements of classic spy flicks like True Lies or Mr. & Mrs. Smith. Zach Galifianakis is hardly recognizable, after shedding most of his weight, but he still keeps his iconic lovable every-man persona intact. He's also one of two things that keep Joneses moving in a smooth pace, with his perfect timing and hilarious delivery making way for tons of good laughs. Isla Fisher does a decent job at portraying Karen Gaffney (opposite Galifianakis's Jeff), a 40 something mom leading a rather dull life in suburban America, who finds her semi-average life challenged when a new couple moves next door.

Played by Mad Men's Jon Hamm and Wonder Woman's Gal Gadot, the new neighbors seem at first too good to be true: stunningly beautiful, glamorous and in love, they immediately raise Karen's suspicion, although average joe Jeff insists new neighbor Tim is his new BFF and ignores all the obvious writings on the wall. When they eventually expose the Joneses true identities, all hell breaks loose - and the film turns into a wild mixture of suspense and fun, while finding the perfect pace to juggle both. Which brings us to the other strong angle to this film, Gal Gadot, which to me was a true revelation! So far, Gadot has had brief appearances in the DC Comics and Fast and Furious franchises, and she has yet to carry such a big role on her soldier. Her accurate portrayal of Natalie Jones is a great sign of things to come. The 31 year-old Israeli actress delivers her jokes while keeping a deadpan expression, and manages to steal almost every scene she's in with her exotic accent and stunning stature. Actually, Gadot alone is a good enough reason to watch the movie - and throwing her into the heart of every-town America has a great payoff once push comes to shove.

All in all, I found myself laughing, I was emotionally attached to the story and could relate to the characters and at the end - Keeping Up with the Joneses is as good a take as any on Middle America, and the ever so quoted phrase: The grass is always greener on the other side. If you're over 25, married and have kids, you'll love it even more.
13 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Average Affair with Some Big Laughs,
lesleyharris3014 January 2017
Keeping Up with the Joneses is a good movie with a reasonably well developed plot and a fantastic comedic cast. The highlight of the film is certainly the connection and chemistry between the four main cast members, all of the individual relationships between Zach Galifanakis, Isla Fisher, Jon Hamm and Gal Gadot is what makes this movie watchable. They all have great comedic timing with one another, it was clear they had trust in each other.

I did feel the plot did not go as far as a viewer would expect a film about spies to go. The final act is very underwhelming, as we are expecting this big blow out, but it actually ends up being very straight forward and predictable, nothing shocking or truly exciting really occurs.

As well as that, it simply is not as funny as it should have been. I had higher hopes with a cast like this, I was expecting a laugh a minute sort of movie, but there are several scenes without a single good joke in there. The writing came across as somewhat lazy, as if they gave up halfway through.

It does show that a film that is verging on mediocrity can be saved simply by the sincere chemistry between its lead cast. While it is certainly flawed, Keeping up with the Joneses is still mindless fun, worth the watch if you are looking for a good comedy, but do not go out of your way to see it.

A suburban couple discover their new neighbours are undercover spies.

Best Performance: Jon Hamm
11 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent, entertainment!
driverdesign15 January 2018
Fast paced timely action with great comedic moments littered all throughout this gem of a movie.

I can't believe some of the low ratings...must be people with absolutely no sense of humor whatsoever....people you'd never invite to a party or any social event.
10 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Delivers on Silly and Absurd
jackfulton1210 May 2018
This movie is predictable as hell, but I didn't exactly watch Keeping up the Joneses to be surprised by brilliant twists and turns. One method of comedy is to blatantly set up things in order to pay them off in a silly way, and this did plenty of that. The performances in it by all four leads - Zach Galifanakas, Isla Fischer, Jon Hamm, and Gal Gadot - were fantastic. They were fully committed to the absurdity.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An amusing film with subtle humor that could have been pushed further
ginocox-206-3369687 January 2017
"Keeping Up with the Joneses" is an enjoyable, amusing comedy with good performances and production values that are more than adequate. Most of the laughs may not be huge memorable ROFL moments and much of the material is familiar to audiences who have seen "Mr. and Mrs. Jones," "The Spy Next Door" and similar comedies. The comedy may not have quite the significance of "Love, Actually." But the film offers a steady stream of amusing gags and jibes at the mid-American suburban lifestyle. The high-speed car chase through an abandoned factory is done competently, but can't hold a candle to the stunt work in a Jackie Chan movie. A climatic shoot-out is better than typical television fare, but fairly tame compared to the shootout in "Django Unchained," "Mr. and Mrs. Jones" or "Mr. Nice Guy." Compared with Galifianakis's earlier appearances in the "Hangover" movies, the humor is low-key and fans may be dismayed that the filmmakers failed to push the envelope further. As is the usual custom, the filmmakers rely too heavily on distracting jiggly-cam shots with very little consideration as to whether camera movement arguably contributes or detracts.

One can easily criticize the film for what it is not and for what it fails to do; however, in its own right, it is an amusing, entertaining and pleasant diversion. It deserves better reviews. Perhaps much of the humor is too subtle for mass appeal.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gal Gadot is 🔥
didemmanap22 June 2020
I'm not going to judge people on their ratings but maaaan they deserve to get higher ratings. This movie doesn't mainly focus on spying, this is comedy. I must confess that the reason I watched this movie is when I saw Gal Gadot playing darts and killing the game, I was like yes she's gonna show us how it's done! Well played Gal, well played. She is the one I wanna see more often in the movies.
6 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent - Loads of Laugh-Out-Loud Moments
yossarian1002 January 2017
"Keeping Up With The Joneses" is a wonderful classic absurdist comedy with plenty of laugh-out-loud moments to go around.

The lead actors have great chemistry, and the script is smart and sassy. If you enjoy this type of comedy, where one character keeps his foot permanently inserted in his mouth, you'll love the movie.

I'm a pushover for good movies, but I get absolutely delighted when I get to laugh out loud.

I can easily recommend this delightful comedy, and I plan to watch it again and soon, too.

When I use IMDb reviews to help me pick out movies to watch, I'm only interested in reading reviews from those who loved the movie. I seriously want to know why they loved it. I couldn't care less about negative reviews. I set the filters for review searches to show me only the reviews where people loved what they saw. Doing it this way, I end up liking better than 95% of the movies I pick.

My only objection to IMDb review rules is the 10 line minimum. A few sentences is all I need. Anything more is a waste of my time.
6 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nice action-comedy
nixy-caos10 April 2021
Considering the action-comedy subcategory, "Keeping Up with the Joneses" does its job pretty well. Entertaining and enjoyable (but don't expect too much). Gal Gadot does have an impressive screen presence.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A 10 plus
RNMorton21 October 2016
I don't gush over movies very often. But this movie is just plain enjoyment from beginning to end. Intelligently written, not always predictable and quickly paced, we watch everyday neighbors get sucked into the world of high intrigue once the new neighbors arrive. Those new neighbors are wildly exotic and thrillingly portrayed by Hamm and Gadot, who we last saw as the mysterious woman in Batman vs. Superman. So I'm trying to figure out the lousy IMDb ratings, I saw the same thing for Pixels. Is this over some people's heads? It is certainly written as a farce, although as believable as a farce of this nature can be. Were some viewers expecting something else? In my mind this was one of the funniest movies of this type I've ever seen and I was laughing in the theater the whole way through. Very highly recommended (notwithstanding the IMDb reviews).
9 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun
depauw-974471 January 2019
Fun film that doesn't take itself seriously. Enjoyed the spin on spy films
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really entertaining!
jerreyes-0502329 August 2020
Enjoyed it! every last bit.....great actors! Really fun entertaining .... and underrated!
5 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.