How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (2019) Poster

A touching finale to a wonderful series
dupregalaxy3 January 2019
Almost nine years we have waited for this dramatic conclusion. Was it worth it? Definitely!

There are moments when watching this film that I thought that it was getting a little slow paced for me. However at the conclusion, I had come to appreciate every scene knowing that those scenes contributed greatly to the emotional ending.

The movie itself continues with the journey of Hiccup and Toothless. Hiccup is now chief but his focus is divided between looking after his people and the saving of dragons that are still threatened by humans outside of Berk. Hiccup embarks on a quest to find "The Hidden World", however he only has stories and few notes passed on from his father to go by. He believes that moving all dragons and his people to this mystical location will be the safest bet for their survival, given that Hiccup has made Berk an enemy of many tribes by raiding and saving dragons from those that do not mean well.

As expected there is a new villain in this film by the name of Grimmel the Grisly. On a Villain meter this guy gets a solid 10. Cunning, ruthless, and hunter of dragons for the pure joy of it.

As Toothless meets a new mate, Hiccup is faced with one of the hardest decisions of his life. However is it one that he is willing to make?

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World is nothing short of a work of art. Is it the best movie in the series? I would say that it is on par with the others as each film captures the growth of Hiccup and the bond between himself and Toothless in a particular point in time. However I can say that this film is easily the most emotional.

The supporting characters all play pivotal roles as Hiccup has grown to trust and rely on his dear friends over the course of the three films.

This movie is great for all ages. Dreamworks have done a wonderful job in creating a timeless classic. I would strongly suggest watching the first two installments before watching this film.

Signing off

Silly D
54 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It made me cry at the end
andreasmartinez7 January 2019
You need to watch this movie 20 times! It's the epic conclusion of one of the greatest stories ever! You will cry at the end for sure! I had some problems the first 20 minutes with the script, it took some time to connect with the audience. But still the movie was amazing! Was emotional and had memorable moments!!! Best Dreamworks movie, and one of the best animations I've seen!
39 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolutely stunning display of friendship, leadership, romance, courage and so much more...!
alliyahbal3 January 2019
Walking into this film I had very high expectations.

The first movie, I'd watched when I was about 8 years old and I fell in love with the characters and the world behind Vikings and dragons. It was a movie in my childhood that I admired and loved, as well as the rest of my family.

The second movie, I'd also watched in the cinema as soon as it came out and it also touched strings in my heart and I loved it as well. I was around 12. Though it didn't quite surpass it's predecessor, it was certainly at the same the level of brilliant animation and story-telling of ancient Norse culture and myths.

Therefore this third movie needed to at least live up to the previous two, if not be better! And I was blown away with the phenomenal graphics, overall plot which was cleverly woven with both child and adult humour. It mixes enough action and battle scenes to get you hyped up, while making you laugh with great one-liners from each character, then it will fill your heart with beautifully choreographed animations of the dragon culture and the friendship between Hiccup and Toothless, and it will even make you teary-eyed for the love of these characters.

This movie especially, in my opinion, is one of the best animated movies (up there with Toy Story, Coco and Loving Vincent); not just because of the success the series had had - but I was overly impressed with the development of the characters and it almost feels as though I, myself, grew up alongside Hiccup, Toothless and the rest of Berk. From watching the first movie when I was 8, and watching the third and now I'm 16 - it really felt like a second home.

This movie is absolutely incredible to watch for all audiences as it plays with important social and personal themes. The reason why it's not a 10/10 is because it made me cry so bad, I was sobbing even after I left the theatre!

100% worth your money and I might even
23 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stunningly Beautiful Finale
magictyron5 January 2019
I promise not to spoil the film below. This film is both emotionally and visually beautiful. The film took a good five years to produce and you can see every second of it was put to good use. The plot is outstanding, and works perfectly as a third chapter for this trilogy. The character has completed some of the most outstanding growths in what I'd consider to be films as a whole. Getting to watch these characters grow from children to adults has been one of the most realistic experiences I've ever seen put to film. This movie is amazing, now go watch it!
21 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Best Animation Movir Ever
jackballantyneyt4 January 2019
The animation is amazing. The story is unique. A less obvious conclusion and the best characters ever. Definately recommended.

Even adults will be laughing throughout the entire thing.
28 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World Review
margulanabutrlov18 January 2019
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World is a fantastic finale for the film franchise and a poignant farewell to this beautiful realm of humans and dragons. Seeing these characters evolve over the past two films to where they are in The Hidden World feels not only believable but deeply emotional and weighty as well.

The Hidden World takes place one year after the second film, which means there aren't as many massive changes like the five-year jump between How to Train Your Dragon 1 and 2. While the main characters are still massive goofs, they also feel more like burgeoning adults now. Everyone's been riding, fighting, and living alongside their dragons for at least six years so they're a more capable bunch now (well, most of the time). Meanwhile, their home, Berk, has grown into a ridiculously overcrowded viking/dragon utopia.

Hiccup's (Jay Baruchel) dragon-based tech has also continued to evolve and ties nicely back into the previous films. Seeing things like the wingsuit he was working on in the second movie be perfected in this third film gives the world a real physical sense of tangible continuity. Not all the film's callbacks work though. While the recurring jokes from the earlier movies -- such as how the twins hate each other, or Toothless playing fetch with Hiccup's foot -- were fun, they also felt forced and less genuine than before. Now the village chief, Hiccup, more than any other character, has truly come into his own even though, in many ways, he's still that boy full of self-doubt and compassion for his people and their dragons. He still looks to his friends, and especially his partner Astrid (America Ferrara), for help and inspiration when times are tough or his confidence wavers. Astrid remains one of the most capable among the supporting characters, having taken on an almost second- in-command role in the village.

A dangerous new threat to Berk comes in the form of the fearsome dragon tracker Grimmel (F. Murray Abraham). Grimmel is a truly fitting villain for this emotional final installment. Not only does Grimmel make things personal by having a special vendetta against Toothless, he's also strategic and calculating, always a step ahead of the heroes. He forces the citizens of Berk, particularly Hiccup and Toothless, to make some of their hardest sacrifices yet. Grimmel doesn't simply want power; he wants to totally eradicate dragons and make a larger, painful point while doing so. To this end, he uses the white female Night Fury dragon -- the Light Fury -- as bait to try to take out Toothless. Fortunately, the introduction of the Light Fury is simply adorable. The way the dragons move and behave like living, lovable creatures has always been essential to this franchise and this entry wisely doubled down on that hard.

Hiccup's support for his friend during this time shows how far they've come together as a team. Usually, it's been Hiccup developing a new relationship (like discovering Toothless in the first film or meeting his mother in the second). This time it's Toothless's turn to forge a new relationship. The pivotal choice facing Hiccup here is one that the Hiccup from even one film ago wouldn't have had the strength to make. Indeed, none of the characters we met in the first movie would have been capable of what's required of them here. It took the total arc of three films to get them all here to such a believable and selfless conclusion.

Visually, every installment in this trilogy has depicted a new dragon home, each one more magnificent than the last. The titular Hidden World is a haven for thousands of different kinds of dragons. These awe-inspiring scenes have so much happening on screen at once and wonderfully showcase just how far these films have evolved and improved visually since the 2010 original. Everything from scenes of destruction to dragon fire and dragon scales to the softness of human characters' hair all looked truly impressive. Factor in the rousing score and you have a movie that's a feast for the senses.

The Verdict How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World is a fantastic, visually stunning and poignant way to end this beloved trilogy. While the young characters remain joyously funny, this finale also adds mature notes to their story of friendship. The franchise has, like its audience, grown up, and to that end this film grapples with more complex themes than before, making for a truly satisfying yet bittersweet conclusion.
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This Movie Did Not Drag-On!
brightbrumby4 January 2019
I went and saw this movie with my best friend and her two brothers today and I cannot stop thinking about it. It was the best way to end the franchise of my favourite movies since I was eight years old. I'm 17 now, and I still love it as much as I did then. It covers pretty much everything I hoped would happen. A lot of this movie was focused mainly on Toothless instead of Hiccup and he makes a lot of the decisions in this movie that Hiccup might have made in the first two films. He is also being drawn away from Hiccup after meeting the Light Fury and Hiccup starts to discover who he is without his dragon and also focus on his relationship with Astrid. Both dragon and human make impossible decisions to save their kind. This movie is very emotional and gives a different vibe to the first two films and includes everything a true HTTYD would want to see. The animation is absolutely amazing, especially in the scenes were Toothless and the Light Fury are falling in love. The soundtrack is also beautiful and fits in well with the scene. There is also good character development, especially for Hiccup and Toothless, of course, and we even see a little more of a significant role in a coupe of the characters we've always known to be comedic relief. I was very happy with the final film in my favourite movie franchise, and I even cried a little bit in the last ten minutes. It is more dark and mature than the first two films and can therefore be loved by adults as well. Thank you so much, How to Train your Dragon franchise. You changed my life for the better.
16 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's amazing
logandenyer174 January 2019
I can't explain enough how brilliant the movie was, it's perfect, and that's definitely an understatement
18 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Perfect Finish to the Trilogy
humcar14 January 2019
Yes I'm over 40, male, and I cried. I've taken my kids to all 3 movies, and we've loved all of them. I must admit, I was nervous going in after watching the diabolical Wreck it Ralph 2. Was this 2nd sequel going to finish on a high? Absolutely, it didn't let me down. It had heart, it had a great story and an epic finish. Dreamworks, you've out done pixar on this one, well done!
13 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The movie was just breath taking definitely worth crying over. I'd say it's probably the best out of the 3 movies but sad. Go watch it you will not regret it.
cheyhorsecb5 January 2019
How to train your dragon is amazing and the hidden world is even more so. Can't wait till I can buy it on DVD and watch it a million times.
17 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sweetest dessert a movie trilogy could have
elang-213346 January 2019
Shiniest spotlight for Hiccup and Toothless for being the star of this movie. I love how once again, the friendship between Hiccup and Toothless is inseparable. Visually amazing as usual and the scoring makes every scene felt alive. Some of the subplot other characters were not necessary but it build laughters and smile. A truly wholesome movie for any of you who wants to be wholesome-d
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
BREATHTAKING AND PERFECT
lauraorellana-0429217 January 2019
This is the most beautiful and amazing movie of all time!!! Even I can say that this movie is better than its previous ones, and it's much to say. It can't be better ending for this trilogy. These movies has become my life and now that all is ended, I don't know what will be of me and my life...

I've never cried so much with a movie. I don't understand why DreamWorks is so underrated, so Disney is not always good making movies. DW deserves the same attention than Disney, just saying that my favorite movies are from DreamWorks.

I need everyone watch these movies and I will get it. These movies will always be in my heart, and they will be my favorite FOREVER.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just perfect
rendywibowonugraha5 January 2019
Graphic 10 Intense 8 Story 9 Element of surprise 9
10 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's amazing holy cow
lizannvalleli8 January 2019
This movie is amazing, so much heart as been thrown in, emotional scenes and great visuals. I really hope I'd get to see it again. Officially my favourite movie
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing movie to wrap up this trilogy!
xxdragonawsxx5 January 2019
With the two past films and series, How to Train Your Dragon the Hidden World lives up to its expectations of being a very successful and being an extraordinary movie.

Throughout the instalments of How to train your Dragon the themes of it were always friendship, courage and teamwork as well as having useful messages for young children. The Hidden World also does this.

The ending of the movie with the two best friends spreading apart from each other without a fight, so that they can go and live with their loved ones for their own safety and care, shows that you can always move on and that connections with people you love never change.

This movie had great emotional complexity with Hiccup struggling to be a leader and believing in himself while also thinking about how they can keep themselves and the dragons safe. Toothless, who struggles to fit both the Light fury and Hiccup In his life. Astrid and Valka mainly focus on getting Hiccup to believe that he is something without Toothless and that Toothless didn't change his personality but he only made it "easier". Astrid also brings in the romance element and Valka brings in the family one. The other characters like Gobber, Tuffnut, Ruffnut, Fishlegs, Snotlout and Eret play a vital role in making the film humorous and fun. The new villain Grimmel is a very smart villain, smarter than the Riders have ever faced. He gives a good challenge to the Riders and makes the film fast pace and he makes sure that the film never stops. Stoick, also manages to come into this film during the flashbacks that Hiccup remembers about moments in his youth when his father was talking about the legend of the Hidden World and how much love means to us.

One of the best parts of the film was the nostalgia and links that it made to the first one. They did this by using lines and actions that were used in the first one including the famous: "what are you going to do about it?" that we got in the first film. Also this film had parallels with the four most important characters which are : Hiccup, Astrid, Toothless and the Light fury. Hiccup and Toothless share a similar personality as well as Astrid and the Light Fury who symbolise the strong and stubborn people who find it hard to adapt to vitality different concepts like the one where people and dragons can live together in harmony. Astrid and the Light Fury are the ones who are able to keep people together. Also, they used actions like Hiccup falling like he did at the end of the first movie and then the Light Fury saving him in the exact same way that Hiccup and Toothless saved Astrid from the Red Death in the first movie.

The film also had amazing graphics that were vibrant and colourful and showed off the Viking world wonderfully. The soundtrack was amazing as always and we also were able to hear the classic themes of the last two films.

For a 104 minute movie the characters also go through growth in accepting that not all things last forever and for there and the dragons safety it's best that they split apart.

Although it took 9 years to complete the How To Train Your Dragon franchise this film was well worth the wait. It is fun, fast paced, exciting, romantic and also had a lot of nostalgia and emotional moments. It is rare for animations to have the characters have such amazing character arcs and density that this film has. In my opinion this film is one of the best animated movies every made.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautifully animated and a fitting end to such a great franchise.
archer1912736 January 2019
The saga continues as hiccup and his tribe save dragons from the hands of the people that hunt them. Problem is Berk is becoming overcrowded while he is confronted with a new and very cunning enemy. Grimmel. Hiccup searches for a new refuge for his tribe and dragons in a legendary world his father (Stoick the vast) spoke of to him as a child. The hidden world. As usual the Dean Deblois and his crew deliver an absolute masterpiece with humour, fear and real emotion to the big screen. My wife, my daughter and I absolutely loved this movie aswell as the previous 2. It is a true masterpiece that is beautiful to look at as you feel genuine fear for Hiccup, his tribe and his best friend Toothless in which we've grown to love. Another facet is Toothless's last chance at the survival of his species that adds a new edge to this movie. A must see for families, adults that have grown up with these movies or even anyone! These movies have the maturity for any audience. An emotional and wonderful ending.
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It was Incridible.
echarezaayu10 January 2019
A good ending for this trilogy. I got so emotional on ending.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best animation movie ever
baz-ramu4 January 2019
No spoilers here

What I can say is this the trailers don't do the movie justice. It's sad to see this awesome and wonderful journey come to a conclusion but it is the right time, It's both got heart and love yes most movies have love but this was more then just love. Don't let others decide the movie for you go watch it and see the amazing world of dragons and the hidden world you will not be disappointed

My review is this 1000/1000
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Speechless
robotupizza20 January 2019
It's the best final to the trilogy. I'm so emotional, I cried a lot. Definitely, one of the best animated movies ever, just like the first and the second.

I learned about life watching this trilogy, they grew up and so do I. I can't believe it's over but at the same time I'm so happy because it's a wonderful final and, I-I'm speechless.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I LOVE THIS MOVIE
tinaart-3229414 January 2019
I love this movie as much as I loved The first two The soundtrack is amazing (John Powell is genius) The animation is absolutely gorgeous every scene looked so real and magical (this is the best animated film) The friendship that hiccup and toothless have is so beautiful and I love them so much Toothless and the light fury is so cute and adorable I love the scenes when they are together Hiccup and Astrid relationship is awesome too I love how Much Astrid loves hiccup and how she always going to be by his side I'm glad that the twins (ruffnut and tuffnut) got to be in some of scenes I love ruffnut she is so funny And the ending is beautiful it is so perfect What an amazing way to end the the httyd Trilogy Thank you to dean deblois,Cressida cowell,John Powell, and everyone at dreamworks who help made the httyd movies and series
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful story about a boy and his dragon.
ladyliliroche3 January 2019
The end of the How to train your dragon trilogy is finally here and it indeed brought me to tears. Storyline wise could be a little bit better (with the main antagonist) but the emotional impact really hits you, especially if you had followed the journey of Hiccup and Toothless from the beginning. It explored the idea of love, family, and bonds, and also somewhat follow the ending of the books series.

Just hearing the songs brought me back to tears.

As a side note, it maybe a little bit scary for little kids, but them watching the dragons flying are surely worth it.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best movie ever
amirotaku13 January 2019
God I love every moment in this movie 😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍
Masterpiece
bahemtoh10 January 2019
This is literally dreamworks's masterpiece, no need to explain further...
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gorgeous Finale - everything I hoped for and they deliver!
misauyenton6 January 2019
What a gorgeous movie! They just got it right. Everyone needs a friendship like that in life and we all need a reminder of love is loss. A heartwarming story and hilarious scenes. Heros and kings are men and men a just dumber than women, the girls always save the day!!!! And boys, the best way to impress a lady is not to dance (please!) just be yourself, do what you love most - or just draw your silly face like Toothless. She will like that! The attention to details is just spot on showing equality in every little bit ie how Hiccup's children are featured and how they swapped kids so both can have a ride. And how the boy is just a little more sensitive than the girl. Love how they kept Hiccup & Toothless disabilities and turn them into their strength. Great lessons kids and grown-ups!!! Also Toothless was the last one to leave, sentiments and all but also shown that he was a true leader. The leader of the pack like in wolves always the last one to watch out for the rest. The only thing is that Toothless love story took most screentime so not much was said about the villain but, do we complain? Absolutely not! Fly on your own Hiccup!
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Phenomenal end to a fantastic trilogy
simplyshalee4 January 2019
I say it all the time, and I'll say it again. Animation is delivering THE BEST storytelling I'm film and TV and has been doing so for years. The HTTYD series is no exception and is absolutely fantastic for all ages. The third instalment is the pinnacle of the trilogy, rounding up everything in a breathtaking adventure that keeps you on the edge of your seat. The animation is utterly stunning, so vivid and beautiful in design, particularly the hidden world itself which just jumps off the screen with its metallic and glowing vibrancy. The characters are well fleshed out, the stakes feel high, and the plot is meticulously crafted. Also, nearly every piece of dialogue in this film is hilarious!! I couldn't stop laughing throughout the movie! Definately go and see this trilogy, it's unlike any other trilogy out there, animation or otherwise. To see Hiccup go from a wee boy all the way through to adulthood with a family of his own across 9 years of craft work is just a wonderful thing to witness.