Coco (2017) Poster

(I) (2017)

1,093 Reviews
Gracias Pixar
mryohual27 October 2017
Im Mexican and all i can say is Thanks you Pizax,I just saw this movie and i just remembered all my childhood with my grandparents, Mexico was represented beautifully,the music, the colors. This movie touched me in my soul and i cried a lot, i created an account just to say how good pixar made everything, again gracias pixar por tan hermosa pelicula.
986 out of 1,120 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Shocked!
jon-stokes21-539-178751 December 2017
I knew absolutely nothing about this movie walking in, the only reason I was there was to take my daughter to see it is strictly because my wife said there was a short Frozen film that played along with the movie and my daughter just so happens to be the biggest Frozen fan on the face of the planet.

Not only was I surprised by Coco, it might be the most in depth best story line I've ever seen in an animated movie. It was also educational and shed an entirely new light on the background of the Mexican holiday Dia De Los Muertos.

Wonderful movie, can't say enough good things about it!
570 out of 652 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I cried twice watching this.
pramsalim2 December 2017
I have always been a fan of Pixar. They are really good at what they do. These guys set the bar for quality animated movies. Back then, animated movies were pretty much made for kids only. They were just your usual Sunday morning cartoons. Large eyeballs, goofy voice, exaggerated slapsticks. Disney had its classics like Bambi, Fox and The Hound, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty. However, it felt more like fairy tales. Bedtime stories your parents give as they tuck you in. In this day and age, it wouldn't work that well. Then came Pixar with it's revolutionary debut, Toy Story. Funny, sweet, modern, relatable and plus, completely 3D animated, which marks the first time a feature film was completely 3D animated. And Pixar has been doing just this ever since.

Though the movies they released were still a quality entertainment, I haven't felt like this since Toy Story 3. Toy Story 3 made me bawl like a baby. And their newest feature film, Coco, finally made me weep like a baby again. Coco is a heart-warming experience, filled with outstanding animation, wonderful music, brilliant writing, and creative models which brings out the best of Mexican culture. The movie took on themes like family, aspirations, and music. And they merged it marvelously with the Day of the Dead culture in Mexico. I also feel that this movie sends a strong message towards those that had lost their loved ones at some point. The way this movie talks about possessions and the inevitable loss that comes will, I hope, comfort you.

Coco is a great movie. Definitely the best animated movie this year (The Emoji Movie? Yeah, don't think so). Could possibly be a nominee for Best Picture this year. The way it tugs our heartstrings and the emotionally satisfying end will definitely please everyone. And it's definitely up there among Pixar's finest. If Justice League annoys you, just see this movie. I definitely recommend you. Bring your families, kids to grandparents, whoever you like. I'm sure they'll like it and I'm sure you'll hug 'em all as soon as the credits roll.
413 out of 481 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Heartbreakingly beautiful. Surpasses Up and Inside Out
Charliedog201515 April 2018
Coco is about Dias de las Muerte (Day of the Dead), family, family crises and musical passion. The posters have a boy and an adult skeleton capering through the afterlife. So you can know that upfront, Pixar is going to fully deal with the subject of death that it touched upon I UP and hinted at in the death of childhood innocence in Inside Out.

We were subtly forewarned that tissues would be needed. :)

It surpasses the other aforementioned masterpieces by being more relatable, drawing on family restrictions and prohibitions (e.g. "there will be no X in this family!" X being "instead whatever has caused pain to a family member in the past". Pick your poison my reader). It surpasses them in making death tolerable. It reminds us that we should be mindful and respectful of all those who went before us. Most of all it taps on the shoulder and whispers that the temporal, the world we live in, in just as important as the next one and we should strive to keep family bonds strong. For when we're at the end of our rope, who else is there to pull us up?

Did I mention bring Kleenex? A full box. Even hard core macho men are driven to quiet sobs and immediate phone calls to mothers and fathers telling them "mama, I miss you."

Beautiful.
165 out of 190 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Coco is the number one Pixar cartoon I've seen so far
h-42927-4885118 July 2020
There are no shortcomings in the picture, connotation and plot of animation, each of which touches the hearts of the people. The animation of "death is not the end, forgotten is", let us move, don't forget our dead relatives.
50 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love it
andreachaparra8 May 2018
As a Mexican born child I cried when I saw this movie and my son who is American born with Mexican parents loves it too.. love to teach him about our roots
118 out of 138 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pixar has created a masterpiece of cinema
archiewheeler3 May 2018
I'm no critic, but Coco is close to movie perfection. It definitely deserved the Oscar for Best Animated Feature, no doubt, and is by far the best animated movie ever created. The visuals are stunning, the characters are fantastic, the twist is somewhat predictable but still great, and the story is so touching. This is the best film I have ever seen, over Shawshank, over The Godfather, over The Matrix; this film is a godlike creation from the very, very best of cinema. Do not be fooled by the haters who say it is a poor portrayal of a tradition; the tradition is likely far more beautiful in Coco than in real life. Fantastic, I am blown away.
158 out of 197 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Overwhelmed!
ilias-zournatzis19 February 2018
I'm a 24 year old student who sometimes tends to overthink about the values of life and how one, including myself, expresses these kinds of thoughts through every form of art that tells a story. So as a person that really puts his soul to a movie he watches I have to say that this film is one of the most beautiful things I've ever had the pleasure of witnessing.

Coco does a fantastic job of capturing the viewer from the first moment. It cleverly captures the beauty of the "Day of the Dead" tradition, by unfolding one of the most heartwarming stories I've ever seen in a movie, around it. The film features a young Musician called Miguel and the pursuit of his dream of being a musician against his family's approval. Throughout the movie while Miguel engages in an adventurous journey through the land of the dead, he is caught between the love he has for music and the importance of family bonds. Quiet a simple and pretty well covered subject. Somehow, Coco manages to so simply and beatifully capture the essence of what it means to be human. What it means to love and what it means to have passion for the things and the people you love. The story was told in such an elegant way that it didn't make me think about the values it represented, but instead it made me feel them, without me even analysing what I was watching. It did it so gradually that at some point near the end I was so overwhelmed by a scene, which definetely goes to my "top 10 best movie scenes" list, that I caught myself crying. Not tearing up like I usually do when a scene touches me. Actually crying.

I could go on and on about Coco, but I'll leave with saying that this is a fantastic movie and I honestly feel grateful that I had the chance to watch it.

A must see!!!
65 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stunning, beautiful, colorful, powerful, sad, happy. A joy of a ride.
fjhuerta-228 October 2017
I may be biased, since this movie portrayed perfectly what life is all about in a small Mexican town.

Or, perhaps I wanted to see Pixar really get back on the game. Go beyond Up, and make a complete movie that was as beautiful as the first 20 minutes of Wall-E.

I got my wish.

This is the movie I wanted Pixar to make, once again. A movie about what family means. A movie about the choices we make, and the roads not taken.

This is a stunning work of art. It'll move you from happiness to tears, from memories of the past to the joy of the future. To understanding, to remembrance. To the joys and pains of being alive.

I can't even begin to imagine how Pixar made a movie about life and death that is so colorful, so absorbing, so poignant, and so approachable for kids, and with so many layers upon layers upon layers of meaning and significance for adults.

To watch Coco is to love Coco, and to remember the Cocos in your life that are no longer among us.

Thank you, Pixar.
307 out of 406 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Charming Depiction of a Beautiful Spanish-Language Tradition
Jared_Andrews10 January 2018
Coco tells the story of young boy named Miguel living in Mexico (Coco is his great grandmother). Miguel loves music and must keep his love a secret from his family who has forbidden music of any kind since the days of his great great grandmother. On Día de Muertos, Miguel wants to enter a contest to showcase his musical talent, but his grandmother intervenes, reiterating the family's ban on music.

In his hunt for a suitable guitar to play, Miguel finds himself in the land of dead, meeting the spirits of those who have passed on. On his adventure he meets his musical hero, much of his deceased family, and a strange man who asks for his help and quickly becomes a close friend. Along the way, Miguel helps his new friend and his friend helps him understand the true significance of Día de Muertos.

Of course, the title character (Coco) turns out to play a vital role before the movie is over. When the moment arrives, she delivers something powerful, and it's beautiful. It moved me in a very satisfying way that felt well-earned and authentic, rather than manipulative, the way many movie moments of this sort feel.

Quick sidebar: when I took Spanish in high school, my teachers would occasionally incorporate culture from Spanish-speaking countries (usually Mexico) into the lessons. In some of these lessons, I learned about Día de Muertos. Sort of. I'm not sure if the lessons were lacking or if I just wasn't paying much attention to them. Regardless, I learned more about Día de Muertos from Coco than I did in four years of high school Spanish classes.

In high school, my understanding of Día de Muertos was that it was basically a Mexican Halloween. They raised spirits from the dead and played music or something, as I understood it. It seemed silly to me. After watching Coco I realized that the tradition is anything but silly.

It's not about the dressing up or the food or the music. It's about family and remembering those that came before us. Leave it to Pixar to not only entertain me, but also educate me about a rich and wonderful tradition of another culture. Bravo!
109 out of 143 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best animated movie ever
deniz-tozak3 October 2018
We came across with the movie when flipping the channels. No idea what it was and ended up watching one of the best movies ever
65 out of 85 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
love it
p-3564622 April 2020
Like the culture of the dead embodied in the film, they worship the dead without sadness, and even sing and dance, singing and laughing, to commemorate the reunion with the deceased family members gathered together. Before I was afraid to hear and see and spirit, ghost related topics, those words in my impression is associated with terror, but let me after seeing this film has the different understanding to the dead, people become dead still have colorful life after death, have relatives, friends, there are joys and sorrows, is no longer so afraid of death. As long as the world remembers, it will still exist in this world, only when the world is completely forgotten, that is, when you no longer have anything to do with the world, will be turned into a golden powder, facing real death
20 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best Pixar Movie Yet!
brotheryour22 October 2017
Yes, Pixar Animation Studios has done it again -- their latest release, Coco (2017), is not only a return to form, but also manages to be their best feature yet. From 1995 all the way up until 2010, Pixar knocked it out of the park with every release, save for Cars (2006) and maybe A Bug's Life (1998). However, after Cars 2 (2011), it seems every release of theirs has been bad or mediocre, except of course for 2015's extraordinary Inside Out (2015). Luckily, Coco (2017) manages to be the second great Pixar movie since Toy Story 3 (2010), and hopefully a return to form for good this time. All I will divulge about the plot is that it follows a boy named Miguel and his dog traveling into the Land of the Dead. From there, the story takes you to startling visual, entertainment, and emotional heights that no Pixar movie, no kids' movie, and very few "adult" movies have ever taken you. Yes, this is even more emotional than Up (2009) and Inside Out (2015) -- both of those films moved me to tears, but never hit me as hard as this one did. It touched something deep within my soul, and unlike most emotional films where my eyes will water a bit, in this one I began to openly weep. It was an emotional catharsis like I've never experienced before. Aside from the poignant elements, the film also manages to be enormously entertaining, with exhilarating sequences that reaches levels of fun Pixar hasn't reached since Monsters, Inc (2001) and The Incredibles (2004). They use the visually gorgeous Land of the Dead they have created to their full advantage, to provide a rollicking adventure that combines imagination and entertainment brilliantly. The other thing I should mention is the score, which is, by far, the best Pixar score I have ever had the pleasure of listening to -- yes, even better than Finding Nemo's (2003), Up's (2009), and Inside Out's (2015). I suppose that shouldn't come as a surprise, considering this is the most musical movie Pixar has ever created, but nevertheless was one of the many, many memorable aspects. In Conclusion, my favorite Pixar movies up until this point have been Toy Story (1995), Finding Nemo (2003), The Incredibles (2004), WALL-E (2008), and Up (2009), with Monsters, Inc. (2001), Ratatouille (2007), Toy Story 3 (2010), and Inside Out (2015) not far behind. I have been disappointed by their seemingly endless sequels this decade, and by the fact that even their originals (Brave (2012) and The Good Dinosaur (2015)) have been okay at best. Even Inside Out (2015), though I love it, is still better at delivering an important message to children than it is being its own story. But with Coco (2017), Pixar has nailed it. It brought me back to childhood nostalgia of watching Pixar classics like Finding Nemo (2003) and Toy Story (1995); the fun, the adventure, the laughs, and the tears. This is what a Pixar movie should be, this is what a kids' movie should me, this is what any movie should be, and it is truly one of my favorite movies of all time.

RATING: 10.0/10.0
251 out of 375 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why I believe it deserves a 10
bradinhanson9 May 2018
Pixar has come a long way. To them their creations have become a science into human emotion and I don't know any better company that has nearly perfected the craft. Soon they'll have 10's across the board from music to picture and from story to the characters. Never have I seen that more than in the movie WALL-E. This movie is up there. More than just its basic elements it dared to dive into a culture that very few in the world know about. It went above and beyond in research in getting those in Mexicos stamp of approval. It touches a deeper recess of the heart where the soul lies dormant and awakens it with hope and optimism. It takes the differences we often critique and judge upon another group only for Pixar to place a mirror right in front of us and stare at our own reflection. It takes the common elements so as to identify with the characters and stir a feeling of commonality. It's brilliant and ingenious. These things alone give it an 8. The 10 is because it was bold and dared to go places other won't. In this I found originality. Something you don't see often these days. Best part of all it unified. It takes ones thick skull (pun intended) and supplies human emotion as the medium to communicate the message so as to reach the heart. One may call that manipulation but due to its sincere true message and goodness I humbly give it a 10.
87 out of 127 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An other-worldly journey, a stellar show!
titaskar-415734 May 2020
Coco is a visual spectacle, a story that pulls at the heartstrings and a ride to another world that is unthinkable otherwise!! Would've rated this more than 10 if I could.Animation magic from Disney!!
19 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
LOVED IT
sydneybauer-068826 May 2020
I love how pixar is doing all races and body types not like old disney white, damsel, skinny, and straight
25 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The most beautiful movie.
mjp0117-26-1438347 October 2018
I've been trying to get my kids to watch this for a year. They were never interested. Finally, it was my turn to pick. The whole family was in awe. It was colorful, imaginative, and the story was beautiful. That kid who boxes Miguel is amazing. It got me thinking we should start celebrating Dia de los Muertos.
27 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Pure Delight!
namashi_118 February 2018
Pixar has done it AGAIN! 'Coco' is a yet another delightful ride from the prolific animation studio, who's winning streak seems to never end. And that's good for all, since 'Coco' is all heart & soul, rewarding the moviegoer wholeheartedly.

'Coco' Synopsis: Aspiring musician Miguel, confronted with his family's ancestral ban on music, enters the Land of the Dead to find his great-great-grandfather, a legendary singer.

'Coco' captures the themes of Life & Death, with genuine feeling. Themes of family, passion, defeat & redemption also are explored here, but with humor & real emotion. While I laughed for a good share of this winning story, I also found myself weeping in the film's final-act. This is a true fantasy-adventure, that gives life & death true meaning.

Adrian Molina & Matthew Aldrich's Screenplay is excellent. Lee Unkrich's Direction is colorful. And of course, the Animation is extraordinary. 'Coco' unfolds gorgeously & not for a second, does the pace drop.

Vocal-Performances are top-notch! Anthony Gonzalez as Miguel, the protagonist, is a joy, Gael García Bernal s Héctor Rivera, a charming trickster in the Land of the Dead, Benjamin Bratt as Ernesto de la Cruz, the most famous musician in the history of Mexico and Miguel's idol & Ana Ofelia Murguía as Mamá Socorro "Coco" Rivera, Miguel's great-grandmother, stand out. And yes, this is a Film made in America about Mexicans & their tradition. Take That, Mr. President!

On the whole, 'Coco' deserves all your time & money. Don't Miss It. Oscars, are you ready?
41 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another favorite Pixar movie
Magnolia2121 April 2020
I cried everytime I watched this movie! Beautiful animation, beautiful songs & music, beautiful story. Very touching and heartwarming.
14 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"An Respectul Tribute to Mexican Culture and his People"
inxsfett28 October 2017
All my family waiting this movie all the year since we see the teaser and blow up...and more because was a Pixar movie and they all make right all the movies they make (at least the 80%).

And Jesus we all not disappointed at all...The music,the animation,the characters,the colors,the family...everything was just perfect.

Now being a Mexican born a was worried that Pixar takes so many liberties of the Mexican culture,people,music and more...But that didn't happen they took all the things i mention before and converted in one of the best animated pictures i ever see and make me even more proud to born Mexican.

I know you all the see the trailers and teasers and know how the movie it is but NO...the movie have a great twist and surprises that gonna make you love the movie even more...Like i say before everything in the movie is just perfect and one i have to say is that PIXAR portrait The day of the Death (dia de los muertos) very accurate and with a lot of respect.

Just see it...you gonna love it Pixar make another classic movie to they collection and Mexican people of all the world...You be pride to be what you are!
149 out of 250 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
In one word: Spectacular.
ex_umbrellacorp29 October 2017
A Pixar's masterpiece, impeccably done in terms of research (about the Mexican culture), animation, script, musicalization, direction and production. A subtle yet charming and inspiring story; with a quality of animation worthy of an Academy Award (I wouldn't be surprised if it was one of the great winners of 2018); with an extremely powerful soundtrack; an excellent script; likable, well-developed and relatable characters; and extremely respectful of the cultural component in which the story is inspired. In short, one of the best landings of Pixar - perhaps repeating a bit its known formula, hence you can feel a "back to basics" in terms of the narrative, history and character development, but at the same time managing to stand out as a fresh and purposeful product that will undoubtedly give a lot to talk about.
135 out of 227 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enchanting and dazzling...
MustakimFaiazPrime14 February 2018
Coco is a movie with lots of joyfulness and emotion... I nearly cried when Miguel sang "Remember Me" to her great-grandma, that was so impressively touching!!! And the end of the movie, my heart filled with so much happiness and joy...

Everybody should see this Movie..!!!
25 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great
jldionisio16 February 2018
It was great. My favorite part was how the guitar playing was accurate.
34 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best Pixar movie yet
jovanyglez30 October 2017
Three words... WOW, what an amazing movie, the story starts getting better and better, such a beautiful story, with so much touching moments, amazing soundtrack, congratulations to pixar, total respect to you guys, Mexico is amazing!!! you learn so much about the Mexican culture, incredible.
119 out of 219 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stunning! Coco has stayed with me since watching it a week ago. I can't stop thinking about it.
Adri7612 December 2017
Absolutely beautiful film. It touched my heart and soul like no other film ever has. Visually gorgeous. The acting was wonderful. That little boy, Miguel, was such a lovely, likable character. I wanted to reach on the screen and hug him. The songs? Wow, just amazing. Where there clichés? Sure, maybe but it didn't matter since the characters were original. The negative and so so reviews.....sorry but you have no heart. I don't think I can trust anyone who doesn't love this film. You are not human.
39 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.