Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (TV Series 2013–2020) Poster

(2013–2020)

One of the most under-rated shows on TV
Teansy14 January 2019
When you first begin this show it seems like it might not go to very great places. The stories are sometimes lackluster and the comedy doesn't always fit, but as the first season progresses and you start to learn more about the characters and the stories become more inter-woven it all actually makes sense and stands as a pretty solid first season.

As the show has continued it's aged like a fine-wine, it's got great stories with crazy twists and turns in every episode and enough great characters that you have to find someone to connect with, whether they be a hero or a villain. The acting is phenomenal, the writing gets better and better each season, and the show is always open to try new things.

Even when I expect this show to disappoint me, it doesn't. It is easily one of the most under-rated shows on television, not just in the superhero and sci-fi genre, but altogether. This show deserves the world.
286 out of 296 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If the IMDB score ignored reviews from season 1, this would be 9+
realscottishdave27 April 2018
It started slowly, in season 1, but I'd heard so many positive accounts of the writing that I persevered.

Wow. It's amazing. The character development, the plot twists, the reveals, the twists and turns, the drama, the fight sequences, the effects, the acting, the whole story - it's truly awesome.

If you watched season 1 and gave up, I heartily recommend you get back to it and watch to at least season 2 and you'll be hooked. There are plenty of moments where I've laughed out loud, plenty moments where I've almost cried, plenty times when I've shouted at the screen - it's full of drama, adventure, action, suspense and even comedy.

No spoilers. Just watch it. Of all the television shows I've watched, it's definitely in the top 10, maybe even the top 5. Give it a go - if the IMDB review scores were ignored from 2013, this would be scoring a 9.0 or higher instead of the measly 7.5 it currently, undeservedly has.
308 out of 334 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Underappreciated Marvel Gem
mto1019 January 2019
Agents of Shield is one of the best superhero/comic book themed shows ever made. All of the hate this series got was completely unwarranted, and it came from those who only watched the first half season. Ever since then, AOS has been on the up; improving every season. Sure, it might have a slow and lackluster start, but Agents of Shield gets progressively better as you continue through the series. And the improvement is so drastic that this has become one of the best TV shows I've ever seen.

One of the most special aspects of this show is how it ties into the MCU. Out of all of Marvel's TV shows (Pre-Wandavision and the other Disney+ shows), Agents of Shield is most affected by, and most connected with the Marvel movies. I can't stress enough how enjoyable it is to watch this series alongside the movies; it is the perfect companion. Only problem being, you'll be annoyed at how the movies rarely recognize the show; which sadly leaves the show in a sort of limbo in terms of its canonicity in the main MCU timeline.

Season 4 of Agents of Shield is the real point where you realize just how incredible the show is. It is definitely one of the best seasons of a TV show that I have ever seen, and I've seen many shows. From the likes of what's largely considered some of TV's best: Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, etc. And also other superhero shows, such as; Daredevil, The Punisher, Jessica Jones, etc. Agents of Shield stands tall amongst these, and season 4 is must-watch TV - not just for fans of Marvel, but any Sci-Fi fans. The real strength of the phenomenal season 4 being, the amount of story arcs put into 1 season, and how well they are all fleshed out. It's fast paced, interesting, and emotional. Other seasons after are just as good, but the quality never eclipses that of season 4's in my opinion.

The cast, and the characters they play, are fantastic; and Clark Gregg is the great leader needed for a show like this. I'm happy that they went through with giving the character of Coulson a TV show after the events of the first Avengers, because Agent Coulson in my eyes, is one of Marvel's biggest stars.

To all those that denounced this show, give it another chance. Watch the show from the beginning with the knowledge that it just gets better with time, and you will not be disappointed.

My Rating: 9/10.
163 out of 177 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Definitely Gaining Momentum
nannyjo3 December 2013
I have to admit that I was less than thrilled with this show's beginning. I didn't think the characters were well defined and the plot seemed very lackluster.

I did continue to watch, though, and I am glad that I did.

Each week, the characters are developing and the chemistry between the actors is getting better. The writing and the quick witted dialog are classic Joss. It just took some time to work out the kinks.

The story lines are getting tighter as the show goes on. Also, as each character develops, there are questions raised that keep me coming back each week for answers.

I'm glad that I stuck with this show and gave it a chance. It is turning out to be a great ensemble action show that I hope will last a long time.
310 out of 367 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sure it started slow, but good gracious what a ride we're on now!
millbranch6989 April 2014
I heard an awful lot of people dogging this show at its inception. I wonder if they gave up or kept watching? Because if they kept watching I don't see how they could still be hating.

The past two weeks in particular have seen me literally standing up, pointing at the TV, and yelling things at it. Sometimes all I can manage is gibberish in my excitement; things like "What did the? Did he just? Who's gonna?" There have been so many jaw-dropping moments here of late that I literally do not know who or what to believe.

I failed to see Captain American: The Winter Soldier before "Turn, Turn, Turn", but am not upset by the fact that the show revealed the huge plot points rather than the movie. Yes, I will be seeing The Winter Soldier ASAP, but my heart has been so firmly gripped by the show that it felt more right to get the crazy news from there. I am sure the writers did a great job of making sure neither vehicle gave away too much.

This show has really come into its own since things began to come together after "The Bridge." I love these characters, including the ones I don't know whether to trust anymore, and have been blown away by the world being revealed.

If you hate it, re-watch it. If you still hate it, I'm sorry. But oh my goodness I am a complete SHIELD junkie!
233 out of 279 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My Favourite show!
noorea-8514730 September 2018
This show is simply amazing, it has great writing, superb acting, unpredictable storylines, deep and interesting themes, great attention to details, and amazing pacing, it's the best show when it comes to using a 22 episode season without being full of filler. The characters on this show are quite well written, they feel, talk and act like real humans , I care about all of them to some extent..in fact, I might be more invested in their lives than I am my real friends..oops! It's not only the main characters though, I often find myself really loving characters that only show up for few episodes, all the props to the writers and the cast. Now the show isn't perfect, it does take some time to gain momentum, the first season while enjoyable is rather slow compared to the rest of the show. also the show tends drop storylines or leave some things unexplained, that doesn't bother me personally, but might bother others. There is also the connections to the rest of the MCU, which some people see as not enough, others too much, and yeah it can be a bit frustrating when the crossovers you imagine don't come through, but it's not something I'd hold against this show, I think they write around the MCU well enough, all things considered. In fact, I like that the show adds a 3rd dimension to the movies, It is more interesting to me than characters showing up for a quick team up or the like.
54 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The show just got better and better
sifu_annie17 May 2014
I remember how I felt after watching the first episode. It was 'meh' to describe it best. I think it was only out of sheer boredom I continued to watch it. I especially didn't like Skye. I found her too intrusive and irritating for my liking. But I knew the show still had some potential. The other characters entranced me. Sure the plot was bland and boring but I knew it was only the first few episodes out of twenty two. This meant there was room for development. And by gum did that last episode delivered.

The things with new series are is that they require patience. You have to be very picky if you expect an amazingly complicated plot right at the beginning. A slow start makes sense. It matters on where the show takes us afterwards. And we've been to a lot of places in AoS. It just took time to pull everything together for a neat finish. And I'm glad they took their time; how else are we able to achieve such a deep and rich relationship with all the characters?

I find it really funny how some of the viewers are still bitching about how there were no major SUPERheroes featured in the show. Well, the show made it clear that it was gonna be about the agents and the strength of humanity. Who cares the mains don't have any superpowers? It made me admire them only more.

This show lacked nothing at the end. But perhaps I shall give it a nine for the minor inconvenience of the first couple of episodes.
163 out of 200 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brilliant , intriguing and thrilling
yagooga16 May 2018
Agents of SHIELD is by far the best TV show based on Comic character (beside Netflix Marvel series like Jessica Jones Luck Cage , Daredevil and Iron Fist ) the characters are well develope . It's not like typical Superhero show with particular Villian and our hero defeat him and save the world , it's very complex and well written . the story is running parallel with the Marvel's movies (but without huge spoilers ) , and make you feel that marvel's world is so big and connected . Phil Coulson is the protagonist in the show but they don't focus on that , they give other character a very huge part in the story and you keep forgetting that there is a central character , and the character are so intersting , facinating and complex . It's worth watching and i hope they continue produce more seasons .
61 out of 73 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sometimes patience is rewarded...
danyboo4115 September 2018
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D had a rocky start considering it's inception was the brain child of Joss Whedon and with backing of Marvel off the back of the hugely successful Avengers movie. The show suffered from being in the shadow of the movie verse and over promised on something that it never had the ability to deliver which was a story inter-woven with the events of the movies. I could pick apart the show's first season for hours talking about the trouble of episodic T.V in a world that has moved on from that and the poor execution of and end of season twist with one of it's characters. Most viewers tuned out after that and it's a shame because the events The Winter Soldier was the best thing to happen to the show. It allowed the show runners to break away from the movie's and to do it's own thing and this is where the show became interesting. With a greater focus on it's own cast and telling their own stories this is a show that season by season has taken some exciting twists and turns and broken out of the mould it's own frame work. AOS has done unusual of starting bad and getting better each season, it has matured well and I would encourage anyone with an interest in good sci-fi or hero-esc stuff to give it another go.
52 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My second, revised review
bbbfa30 August 2015
I reviewed the show during the first season, when it was just off to a rocky start, and I said it had potential. But that potential has been satisfyingly reached, and continues to increase with every consecutive season. Without giving any spoilers I'd like to know that there are a lot of twists later on in the first and second season, that really make it a lot more worthwhile to hang in for, and when you go and re-watch the first season with those twists in mind, you realize that it wasn't just something they threw in to make it more interesting, it was something they planned from the beginning and dropped little hints towards that no one noticed. Ward was my least favorite character, until his true nature was revealed, and then when you go back and look at it with the experience of later events, you can see that there's much more underneath the surface. They were playing the long con, fooling people and thinking they were an average episodic show, when they had much more in mind for it. I have never been excited for any episode of agents of shield as I am the season three premiere, and I can't wait for the secret warriors story arc. The 10 I'm rating this is a bit preemptive, because I expect that season three maybe one of the best things to happen to the Marvel universe since Iron man 1, but it's also a bit of an apologetic rating for misjudging it early on in the first season. I now prefer agents of shield to arrow which used to be my favorite superhero show, but is now trailing in a close second.

The visual effects get a 10 out of 10, on par with supernatural or fringe The acting gets an 8 out of 10, added points for Agent may, Skyes impressive character development, and a lot of the humorous moments between Colson and Nick fury, or the infinite likable agent tripp, points docked for Fitz and Simmons "trying to sound smart" speak in season one, although a lot of their more annoying badly written character quirks are ironed out by season two The writing gets a nine out of 10, mostly because hard to write something I don't see coming a mile away, though it might be a bit generous considering a few of the missteps in the early episodes of season one

The fight choreography gets a nine out of 10 for how well it blends with the visual effects, though it might've been a 10 out of 10 if daredevil hadn't come out with that awesome fight scene in the hallway the same year

I now have nothing but high expectations and hopes for the show and I hope it only improves further. A few areas of improvement include Bobbi Morse who is not likable at all, and maybe some kind of seriously superpowered villain, or possibly the skrull invasion, or something on par with that? So far the major antagonists are a bit interchangeable, Whitehall being the major exception, who is probably the best written villain yet. But I feel this show does best with the villain that is both superpowered and covert, mixing subterfuge, espionage and superpowers in action. But the good news is they set up the foundations to make something like that happen spectacularly
86 out of 113 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Underrated Hidden Gem of Marvel
CelestialKing16 September 2020
It started really slow on season 1 kept on watching for the fact that Phil Coulson was in it but my god what a journey the show has made for past 7 years. It was emotional, humorous, action packed, thrilling and intriguing. The ending season was basically a gift to long time watchers by bringing back so many old faces and story-lines from previous seasons. Very logical and satisfying ending of the series and creating a big possibility for spin-offs.
16 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really great show !
kdupes-19 December 2018
Took me a long time to watch this, And then I watched only half of the first episode and quit. Then I finally went back to it and.... damn glad I did ! > If you like spy type shows like Alias or Nikita then you'll like this. > You've also got some sci-if added into the spy/ crime fighting theme. If you like The 100, Battlestar Galactica or Stargate movie/series then you'll love this show. I could not wait to find out what happened in the next episode. I'm so glad I could just hit "next" and not have to wait a week.
40 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Of course it is underrated
unrealmuscat30 April 2019
Do a little analyse about this web site and you gonna discover that most people voting don't even watch the show. Most of the negative reviews are from the first episode , first year. Look at the True detective serie (most of the review are for the first season, second seasons was abyssal and even after that awful season the rating stay higher than 9. Season 2 of True detective not worth even a 5 of rating.) Also people are voting in the top 50/100 list. Result.... They vote for the same serie over and over. Rise the popularity of the already top 100 series which are old reviews from the first season. Result Series with a slow introduction of all characters in the first season are totally eclipsed. This serie is as good as Firefly if not better This is made by the same guy. Better than any Star Trek, or any actual super heroes series except maybe the Punisher but Punisher is a total different beast. Worth the trip. Let's see what is next....
42 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolutely riveting
Chillihead17 July 2018
I only discovered this recently, I am so glad that I did, binge watching from the pilot, I'm just starting series 5. All characters are believable, their developement is well paced, obviously the storylines are out of this worl but for me, this is how you do it.
30 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
every season gets better, season 4 is where it makes its mark on TV
ChrisInMiami23 February 2017
Its such a cliché to say that every season gets better, I know. But M.A.O.S does just that. As Season 1 wound down, there was speculation that the storytelling wouldn't support the longevity. We wanted to see our favorite heroes from the Marvel Universe but even tie ins with other marvel characters such as Jamie Alexander as Sif from Thor and Sam Jackson as Nick Fury felt like hand me downs from an older sibling. Luckily we got a season 2 and so on. The show's strength seems to be that every new season seems to turn the story on its head and milk more action and drama. With season 4, the show has finally reached a point where it doesn't need any gimmicks. At this point, who cares about the other MCU characters! These characters own their own universe right now. At this point I'd rather see them make an appearance in one of the MCU movies! Season 4 did give us the best Ghost Rider we've ever seen... Now I want to see a Robbie Reyes movie. The season 4 storyline with the LMD's and especially ep 4.15 reminds me of when Star Trek Next Generation finally grew out of the shadow of the original and proved it could carry itself on its own merit. Well done guys.... BRAVO!
32 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great addition to Marvel Universe
roberttimbre2 May 2018
This series works so well as a stand alone engaging enthralling series,but also as a companion to the greater Marvel Universe. So many strong characters, with a cleverly evolving story line, that often surprises and delights in equal measure. All actors manage to suspend disbelief in the extraordinary and yet maintain a quixotic charm in their performances. 9/10 Brilliant.
27 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What an awsome series
tremblantdata7 December 2020
I dont think ive ever seen a series in which I became so attached to the characters. I dont even know how they did it, maybe they just had such good chemistry in real life it came across on screen, and didn't take itself too seriously. I truly miss this show.
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The best superhero TV show
mairacg1 February 2019
It's been five crazy years around this crew, and what a ride! This show gave me a great amount of joy, thrill, excitement, fear and sleepless nights. It gave me something more to look for during the week.

Great character development and amazing storylines, which got better and better! I have nothing but good things to say about it, so stick around for the first, slower season and keep watching it all. It's more than worthy!
34 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A show which has kept me at the edge of my seat.
johannesdouglas1 May 2014
At first this show did not grab my attention. I have been a Marvel comics fan for many years and have enjoyed watching it grow into some of the best films in the last few years.

When I heard about this show I was worried that it would be overdone with effects and that it would lose a good story arc and character development. I was reassured about a few episodes into the series as I learned about the S.H.I.E.L.D Agency and now a few episodes close the end of the first series I am shouting to the world about how grate this show is.

I know Joss Whedon must get a hard time from fans of Firefly (which I am one of them) and I feel like Joss must always have to live up to that show which was to infant in its ending. I am however starting to love Mr. Whedon's writing once more.

This review is a personal one from me as I enjoy every moment of this series and hope that this will not be another great show that is over criticized and ends before it has truly begun.

119 out of 174 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This show is beginning to live up to its potential.
mvmlego14 October 2013
I had previously written a review based off of this show's first four episodes, and I gave it a 7. I felt that, as of that time, it was an average show, and that it could go either way. Most of the first eight episodes were good. A couple were great, even. But: episodes nine and ten were stellar. This series earned its 8th star.

The main characters are good. Agent Coulson, Skye, and Agent May are all very good, and, though some would disagree, I find Fitz and Simmons both likable. As for the minor characters: the people making this show aren't afraid to make up new characters, whether they're hero or villain, super- powered or non-super-powered. They already have a couple of compelling villains that are driven by more than simple greed or madness. The show's special effects are particularly good, which you might well have guessed. The show uses offshoots of classic story-lines such as Extremis. They also make references to the events happening in the Marvel Cinematic Universe at large. They are also beginning to link the events of individual episodes together very nicely. There is a good deal of mystery as to what happened to Coulson after the Battle of New York, and Skye's and May's rather ambiguous background is intriguing.

On the downside, the show contains some gratuitous content (and I'm not talking about showing blood in the action sequences or anything, I mean including things that are genuinely unnecessary). Also, some of the dialogue is a little cheesy. Additionally, some people who have seen a lot of television might find some of the plot elements predictable (although I personally don't).

Let me stress again: this show had potential, and, as of the most recent episodes, it is fulfilling it. It is truly earning its place in the MCU.
72 out of 105 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great!
DiCaprio-HardyFan24 March 2020
Agents of Shield is such a great show. If you can get past the first season (which was by far the worst) I guarantee you will enjoy the rest! It's one of the rare shows where every season it gets better and better! I'm going to miss it after this last season.
16 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best MCU show
lanceharrington14 November 2019
Hoping for more than a 7th season but all things must come to a end. Hoping for a spin-oof at least. With Daisy Johnson (Chloe). Best actor!
18 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One word: Coulson!
hmhennen1 February 2020
If you like Marvel, watch this series! I'm not sure why other reviewers are so critical of the first season.... my husband and I were hooked from the beginning. Phil Coulson's character is top notch. I love the humor and the continuity of the plot. Of course there are the episodes where you groan and roll your eyes, but this is one of the best series we've watched and I was sad to see it end.
22 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not perfect, but I had lots of fun over the years.
sonnygoten9 October 2020
It took some time for me to binge the last few episodes, but I finally got to them. The ending did not go out with a bang, but it was still satisfying and also a little bittersweet, after all this time.

There were high points in the show and some meh-points as well, but rather than for the plot, you watch this show for the characters. They grow on you and their friendships grow on you too.
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Deserves a higher rating
phandora-0297722 September 2020
This show definitely deserves a higher rating. Even though it starts slow, it becomes better and better with each episode. It is action packed, the chemistry between the actors is great and it keeps you on the edge of your seat, wondering what is going to happen next. And the science behind it makes it all a lot more interesting. I was sad to hear that season 7 was the final one, cause I wasn't tired of the show at all. Which usually happens when a show is dragged on for too long. I recommend everyone to watch this one, especially Marvel fans!
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.