Being Mary Jane (TV Series 2013– ) Poster

(2013– )

I loved the show! Something refreshing!!
Teyanwilson12 July 2013
I loved the show!! I thought it depicted Black women family life and work life and sex life very well. Yes we try to keep everything together thats what makes Mary Jane so normal. And the above comments about no good black men being depicted. I saw her father as a loving, caring husband who instead of seeing his wife suffer by a disease he would rather her be in peace. If you have ever truly loved someone you understood his point and that is why Mary Jane is searching for love like that. Now the next good depiction of black men was the gay bi racial couple Mary Jane best friend and co anchor. He was successful and obviously happy and living his life. This show showed to me what is and can be attained. She may have sacrificed love and kids but she has everything else together. I mean as the show goes on you will see her evolve and add the other things she craved and wanted. Every woman has had a vulnerable side and done foolish things no one to judge but to put that and show it on display shows that yes we have flaws but its a working progress. This show shows every aspect of black woman from vulnerability, to strong. You cant find that on TV anywhere now . A black woman showed in a positive light without fighting and cursing. This show was brilliant and Gabrielle Union was made to be Mary Jane. Mara Brock Akil has brought back something that was missed since Girlfriends!
24 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Discovered BET Marathon today and binge watched straight through!
jhare4629 March 2014
I just happened to notice the end of the movie today and to see that it was followed by a series I had never heard of. Probably because I am NOT a black woman and don't often watch BET. I didn't watch any of the movie because it was at the end but I watched every episode all the way through. I DVRd it and I am so glad. I was curious and after the first episode, I was hooked.

I know there's a lot of history I missed because it was in the pilot/movie and hope it comes on again soon so I could learn more about David and MJ's history.

I really liked this show - I have always liked Gabrielle Union and I think I liked her best in this. The cast is really good, all the way through, and I like that there is a lot of her family in the show. Considering they're all different ages, it makes it more interesting. It's nice to see a well-to-do black family who really loves each other.

I wasn't looking for it to teach me anything and since I am NOT black, there may be nuances that I missed. I see that there are people who don't like the aspect of her affair with Andre, but the bottom line is, neither did she, and she did her best to make it right.

Can't wait for season two - just hope it's not on against Scandal. :)
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
All hail Gabrielle
filmaholic338 January 2014
I am constantly scouting for new shows and I just happened across this today. I had no idea the pilot had already come out so it was a welcome surprise. One word...Fantastic. For a pilot I found myself really engaged and at the end I wanted more, which is always a good sign for a new show, so fingers crossed the show will build up on its potential.

Gabrielle is perfect for this role, she really portrayed MJ's moments of vulnerability very well. Also the family dynamic always interests me and the way this is not your standard nuclear family makes the conflict more interesting. I like the show's focus on women and their challenges in society as well as the pressures from every aspect of their lives.

If it continues to deliver I will surely be checking in till season 2. I highly recommend this to anyone looking for something new and dare I say it refreshing.
15 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ehhhh
amandacheatham-9932429 April 2018
You can stop watching after season 4. She show gets messy and repetitive. I was upset when I heard this show was ending until I watched season 5.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love it!!
ariannagreen894 November 2013
Love love love this! And so excited for the series to begin. Gabrielle Union was flawless, charming, funny, beautiful, sexy, and straight up real! Within the first 5 minutes I was hooked. I loved that it was easy to connect with her character because her life was depicted so raw, relatable, and humble. There wasn't too much dialogue with Mary. I was one with Mary Jane, her silence at times allowed you to feel her thoughts and emotion. It was produced perfectly. This show deserves the support and I'm disappointed in the low rating reviews so far, come on people?! This is Black TV and TV that anyone can enjoy! We need more of this but for right now more Mary Jane!
12 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It Had A Good Start.
MeMeTellem18 March 2015
Season one, Mary Jane was likable. Sure, she had an affair with a married man but she didn't know he was married until she stepped on his ring. After the fact, she made some clueless decisions but her character was still likable. Then towards the last two or three episodes, the series got a little ridiculous. Mary Jane's character had gone from this strong, independent, love crazy, indecisive, intelligent woman to a teenager who's boy crazy and who's best friend is egging this on. This show isn't the only show to have a few hiccups so on to season two. Season two doesn't seem to have much of a story line. Mary Jane can't decide whether or not if she wants David and every time she gets him right where she wants him, she decides she can't do this anymore. The "this" she caused. The whole season was this long drawn out drama of Mary Jane taking shots for a news report, doing her job as a host and as a family member, wanting not wanting David, telling people off, and nagging. Her character came very close to being unlikable. Mary Jane expected her friend to put her job on the line to save her...the same friend that chose her career over her marriage. It was proved in season one that her friend loved her career the most. So what makes Mary Jane actually think she was going to do that? Mary Jane also hangs the phone up in peoples faces when they don't give her the answer she was looking for. She also told a lot of her family members what they should be doing with their lives. There was no update of the married man and his wife. So, i'm guessing they just moved on with their lives. Gabrielle Union is a good actress and for her sake I hope this show improves. However, at this rate it would be lucky to see a season 4.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bright & Beautiful female who appears to be very broken....or maybe a master game player....
cddgmm28 September 2015
I think she is an amazing actress....having said that....and I know it is the script and the role she is playing....but she is NOT a sympathetic character to me.....she messes with the men in her life....she plays games...one minute taunting them.....and one minute pushing them away....all the time with NO regard for the feelings of the other women in their life....sorry.....but to me....she is a game player....maybe they are as well....but would like to see her be "higher"....to rise above and act with some integrity...and that "ain't happening"....not to mention....killing her fish....how sick is that....sorry.... her game playing ....well, I just lost interest....will not be watching any more episodes.....so long Mary Jane....
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So Disappointed
Kml377 July 2013
This show was so disappointing on so many levels: Jumping out of your car to confess to someone that you are sleeping with their spouse, REALLY. Who does that! Then the scene were the Dad says he wishes the mother would DIE. How is the daughter (Mary Jane) suppose to react to that? Where are the STRONG MALE figures along with an accomplished WOMAN? You don't have to sacrifice one for the other, they can co- exist together. It seemed like most of the men in the show were cheating or addicted to drugs, or weak or lazy and unemployed or just after one thing... Sex. Now this portrayal of our black men was the most disappointing aspect of the show to me. Life is real and we humans can make some bad choices that reap some bad results, but let's have episodes that try to bring some positive resolve to the issues of life that Mary Jane and the other cast members face. If the Black Male cannot be uplifted in a show that is written by a black woman SHAME ON US!!!
17 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disgusting Image for young black women
mytory12313 February 2014
I am a young black woman. 24 years old with one child and I am pregnant with my second boy. I am married and I am thankful for my family and my awesome husband whom I love and fight for everyday. I work very hard for my family and for my children and I fight with God behind me. I am a mother, a wife, I work full time and I am trying to open my first business (a group home supporting other young women). I respect the idea of Mary Jane being a business focused women. But I do not respect the fact that BET makes it look okay for one black women to take what another black woman worked for. I work hard for my family everyday and I adore and love my family. Sometimes there are good days and sometimes there are bad days. But it is not okay for a woman to come in and take another woman's hard work because the truth is, she is lonely. As black women there needs to be an image of supporting one another and strength. Not tearing one another down for our own selfish desires. I have always enjoyed Gabrielle Unions strength in her movies but in this show she sold out. She sold out her strong image and her morals and she sold out the women who do not take but work really hard for what they really want in life. I tell you what, those girls who think it's okay to sleep with a married man is going to run into the wrong wife one day... then it won't be as entertaining. I just want our black women to honor one another because it seems like now on every program and TV show black women are either fighting or sleeping around or calling one another names... And I am 24 years old, this is my generation and it hurts to see them failing. Gabrielle Union chose to give the same image as most of the reality shows for a quick dollar. So, for those who are against this, don't become angry but continue to fight for the health of our women because young women (my generation) needs it more than ever right now. I remember when there was the Cosby's and Fresh Prince of Bel Air.... good shows.
23 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I think the Being Mary Jane is Terrible
hardinjudy19 March 2014
I watched the first episode of the show and found it pretty good. As time went on and the series began, the show was terrible! The only reason there are viewers is the married man, single woman scenes. If you take out the scenes of Mary Jane's love interest you have nothing. The show is boring and Gabrielle Union, in my opinion, is not good at serious acting. I found her acting to be very delightful in comedies. She is very good in comedy films but very bad in drama. I cannot think of one film or series that she has been in and played a dramatic role, and that film or series succeeded. Like I said, the only reason this series is still being aired is due to the steamy scenes....remove them and the series is dead.
9 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mediocre at best
Tactrix9 March 2014
Let me start by saying that I hate that they keep casting Gabrielle Union in these cliché weak woman roles. She's a much better actress then that and to keep putting her in things where she's always having to be the beta and crushed by the far dumber male counterparts is just wrong! That is the main problem with this show, it could have been an amazing show if everyone acted like they weren't 13 and didn't make the kind of mistakes you expect to see in high school. Instead you have a show that was essentially made with teenage drama in mind for grown adults in their 30's-40s and it simply doesn't work. I've seen these actors in all kinds of different settings and they are really good so to see them in a show this poorly written is just soul crushing. 6/10 only because despite the writers attempts to make this mindless dribble good actors are still good actors.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not that bad
lildevil5613 November 2013
(Disclaimer: This review is being given only on the basis of the premiere episode.) Let it be said, I'm actually highly disappointed in the reviews written before me. The show is obviously written to relate to the "independent black woman" notorious in this day and age (It premiered directly after Black Girls Rock...Come on...). The woman who suffers supporting an ungrateful and continuously using family, and having to maintain that structure simply on the excuse that "they're family" and that's that. The woman who suffers guilt for speaking the truth to said family when they refuse to learn past lessons and must continue to turn to her for help. The same woman who is punished with the difficulty of finding an equal (and monotonous!) counterpart to match her success and goals, simply because she has already shown productivity and achievement and there is very little to match. A woman who is judged by her own race for maintaining her pride and not demeaning herself to settle with those who don't show her the simple act of respect she deserves simply to give the falsely imagined persona of "Black Love."

Why are you disappointed that there are no "Good men" in this show?? Gabrielle Union's character does cease to communicate with Guy #1 (Numbered in order of appearance) when she discovers he's married (Case in point: She has one under Never Answer, and Never Answer 2. Two separate actors, two separate people, two separate characters). Even so, these shows are not meant to be fairy tales with your hopeful happily ever afters just because you wish it. Welcome to reality. On average there are more black woman in existence overall than black men. Now lets make subsections of American Blacks, who are also successful. The gender gap between American Successful Black men and women is extraordinarily great, and yet we act as if this gap is non-existent and every black woman should settle for her semi-decent black man. When has it become OK to sacrifice our pride in the name of "Black Love?" and why should we demean a show that puts a mirror to the spectrum and shows us a glimpse of the reality in which we truly live? And additionally, it has not even been revealed that Guy #2 has done her wrong. She's stealing his sperm...she clearly won't be casting the first stone for his (still) sins, why are you?

The show does have it's ups and downs, I'll give you that, but, as usual Gabrielle Union is a flawless actress carrying out her character to a T. The plot is pretty realistic, if not a bit over the top in describing women in this day in age (I still don't think it's acceptable to have your drunk "boyfriend" throw-up on your lap in bed, that's deff a deal breaker!), but it is relate-able to the "Strong Black Women" persona that has been fluctuating in these times.

My opinion? Check it out. It's not greatness yet, but I would like to see at least the route the show takes before disregarding it entirely. I just hope it doesn't cause women to start thinking they're wrong in living for themselves, and not sacrificing their beings for attempting to produce a "united front" for a community that does not respect them in return.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Horrible concept
anthony-cross0075 February 2014
This show has such a horrible concept when it comes to the adultery part of things. I have lost most of my respect for BET over the last 10 years because they fail to make shows that don't promote evil. I don't understand why Sunday nights BET wants to air a bunch of gospel music and church type stuff, but the rest of the week they push nothing but behavior that God is against. Only BET feeds black people this garbage and we eat it right up.

Caucasian channels, filipino channels, the Japanese channels...none of these channels do this. Only BET capitalizes on the ignorance of our people. Why can't this show be about Gabrielle Union doing all the career things she has going on in the show, but instead of sleeping with married men, she embarks on a journey to find God and serve him. Women that are like her refuse to serve God, so he refuses to send them a mate that he had planned for them.

BET is selling us out, and black people never notice it. Especially this young generation.
8 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
1 Season was good but now its become so boring
abanat18 April 2015
First Season was exciting. Also because Omari Hardwick playing Andre Daniels. I am a man and i like his acting. Mary Jane is becoming a soap and its become too depressing. Fist season brought excitement and spice. But second season is pale and stretchy.. Simply i was a fan of this show but i stopped watching after four episodes of 2nd season. 1 Season was good but now its become so boring... What i would like to suggest is stop moping around. It looks like a rich black women who has emotional issues and she cant deal with it. While rest of world dies from poverty. And Mary has so many problems than she has to cry and mope all the time. Her life is horrible compare to ours.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fell Short and Flat
lukhele0324 February 2014
The best compliment I could give this show is the soundtrack. I found myself singing along and bobbing my head throughout the premier. Other than that, the show falls flat. This is a pity considering it is exciting to see the diversification of lead characters on television, whichever form that may come. The script is flat and uneventful. The plot development is slow and uninspiring. The acting is shockingly flat considering how much overacting is happening on the show.

I completely agree with one of the previous reviewers in saying that, if this was on any other network and not BET, it would have been cancelled after the pilot. This frustrates me because if we want to improve diversity on main stream television, we need to make sure we raise our expectations and standards. I wanted to like it because it increases the visibility of black females, but I cannot praise mediocrity. 4 Stars for the soundtrack and Gabrielle Union.
5 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointing
meebchelle10 July 2013
I guess I just expected more from Gabrielle Union. The first reviewer said it best. Why were there no good men in this movie, why were all but maybe 2 African Americans depicted as bad in this movie. When is it EVER good to portray an adulterous affair as okay. We need good female black role models for our young ladies, this movie (storyline) in my opinion, not a good idea. I was so excited about this movie and the stars in it, finally Gabrielle Union was back on TV. I only hope that future shows portray men who actually work, & love their wives and family. And if this show is scheduled as a series please don't force us to watch Mary Jane sleep her way through married men. Please give us a strong black woman to model our lives after. With the right script these stars have the ability to command our attention with a weekly series. I look forward to seeing the direction this show will go in
12 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Extremely honest portrayal of being human
pdtp91120 May 2015
Mary Jane reminds me of all the people I have been at different times of my life, and how thankful I am that I have grown out of many of them. For those who believe that money and fame are the keys to happiness, "Being Mary Jane" reminds us that true happiness and grinding discontent come from what we believe about ourselves. When Mary Jane feels good about herself, she is a wonderful friend, a generous sister, a caring aunt and an attentive daughter who is able to be honest with herself about what she wants. When she hates herself, she is a coward in her relationships, the self-righteous family authority on what is correct, and downright, self-destructive. Sometimes I love her, and sometimes, because she reminds me of who I have been, I'm not fond of her. This show says so many things that others fail to say. I find it extremely brave.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Much better then I expected
allisonlscates10 March 2016
I decided on a whim to watch Being Mary Jane. I was a little reluctant at first since this is not typically the kind of TV drama that I watch, (I watch a lot of crime and historical dramas) but I decided to give it a shot anyways since it got pretty good reviews on Netflix. I just finished watching Season 3 and can say that I really like this show.

The show follows Mary Jane Paul, respected news anchor for SNC network, and the trials and tribulations associated with her highly profiled life. The endless pursuit of love + sex, family drama and the advancement of Mary Jane's career are tackled each episode. More importantly, each episode addresses an issue that affects the black community, especially relating to black women.

Being an African American woman, I find myself being able to relate to a lot of topics discussed in Being Mary Jane. Are black women beautiful? What does a beautiful black woman look like? There was a noteworthy episode where Mary Jane's niece, Niecy, got pregnant with her then Filipino boyfriend. Niecy was days away from giving birth and confesses to Mary Jane that her daughter is going to be beautiful because she will be biracial. Niecy then talks about how she is not pretty because she is dark skinned and overweight.

There was another episode where Mary Jane takes out her weave and her hairstylist is not available to give her a new weave. She becomes frantic because she does not want to wear her natural hair on camera and as a last resort calls Niecy to do her hair. Niecy's comments and Mary Jane's confliction with her hair represent the discomfort a lot of black women feel about their appearance and their disguised hatred for their blackness.

More than anything I like Mary Jane's confidence. She is confident in her sexuality, frequently having casual sex and masturbating. She is also not afraid to speak her mind or give her opinion even if it wasn't asked for. There was an episode in which the news anchor for primetime was unavailable and Mary Jane was selected as the replacement. This was a huge opportunity for Mary Jane as prime time has more viewers and the overall tempo is much faster than her afternoon show, Talk Back.

The guest for the show was Elizabeth Foy, a conservative white author. Elizabeth goes on to talk about her bestselling book about charter schools and at this point Mary Jane decides to stop listening to her producers and decides to ask Elizabeth her own questions. Like how Elizabeth's book publisher supports neo-racists authors. Elizabeth gets flustered by the barrage of Mary Jane's questions and calls her a 'race baiter' and how she thinks black people are always the victim, always misunderstood. Mary Jane then responds back by saying that they both have a lot in common and that Elizabeth Foy is a ugly black woman too.

Mary Jane can be bold and vocal but also she is compassionate and willing to expose her vulnerabilities. There was a series of episodes in which Mary Jane tries to freeze her eggs on air with the assistance of fertility treatments. She then discovers from her doctor on air that she has a below average egg count and may not be able to bear children in the future.

The show is not afraid to tackle serious issues. It challenges the existing stereotype that black people do not commit suicide or suffer from mental illness. Mary Jane's longtime friend Lisa has struggled with mental illness throughout the course of the show after having attempted suicide in season one. She finally took her own life in season 3.

The reason I gave this series a 8/10 is because there are a lot of episodes where it feels like things are just happening and there is no context or backstory as to why. For example, one of Mary Jane's "sex buddies" has a seizure after they are finished having sex. There is no explanation as to what caused him to have a seizure. He just says, "I started having these 2 weeks ago." That could have been an opportunity to address health issues. There are a lot of little instances like this that plague the series.

Overall I really like Being Mary Jane. I think that the show is tactfully done to challenge what it means to be a black woman in America and the struggles that we continually face.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why is it...
melissajohnson-818466 November 2015
Black women are portrayed as victims and weak? Is this really the 'message' you want to send to young black girls? (really) I watched about 5 episodes of season 1...and could NOT get through the rest. The main character, Kara, is terrible...she is supposedly a professional, successful woman(I don't believe she got her job), but she's dumb, terribly dumb...and so desperate. When the two black women started being desperate over the husband (who's a loser by any normal woman's standard). This is when I stopped watching. I get it, this is supposed to be about a black woman's journey...and I just find it disturbing that ANY attractive, successful woman would behave as these women do (I know they do, and its pathetic). Past low class. And this message of all the good guys are taken is pure bullshit (and if its the black men--dump them! and try another color...that's what I'd like to see a black woman with a white man), and lets have sex like men do...because that makes it better? No it doesn't...it makes you a whore (with a lot of baby daddies). IDK...I found it pathetic, the way black women are portrayed on this program, maybe it holds truth...IDK, but all you're doing is perpetuating the behavior and stereo-type of black women being incredibly stupid and desperate...likes she's not good enough to get her own guy, she blew off the only good one who was attracted to her(just dumb) Is this really the standard you want young black girls to live up to? I found the program unbelievable...and the characters irritating to watch. Perpetuating acceptance of stereo-type that black women are stupid and desperate, black men expect to have sex with as many women as they can, with the women accepting it. Basically complete losers, yet acceptable and condoned behavior(LOL)...and did I say incredibly desperate, stupid black women?
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Turned after first 15 minutes (CONTAINS SPOILER)
glammab638 January 2014
Thought the acting was horrible, the opening scene was almost laughable. Couldn't stomach much else after he was being hosed down. The acting was way over the top with different actors and the same old same old script. Gabrielle can do so much better and if it were on another station and not BET, it would probably be canceled after last nights showing. Some of these shows have such horrible, melodramatic acting that I don't waste my time to watch many of them. And this one, like some of the others on the air, makes you wonder if these African Americans are just taking any role thrown at them. Was this a play before turning it into a movie? It had that feel IMO.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
very disrespectful !! too much explicit sex scenes
jenniferjen-720238 January 2017
There are various ways to represent a strong successful black woman who are challenged consistently in the workforce. Mary Jane is rude, conceited, too prideful, and promiscuous. The majority of the show is about sex. My children are not allow to watch it due to inappropriate behavior. I was so excited that we had a black show that I can support, however, it is difficult to do just that. We can enjoy sex without looking like a whore. She enjoy revealing her body parts to various men. That is not who we are. She should have more respect for her husband it is somewhat embarrassing. Money is not everything and there are a lot of black women who are respectful, strong,have ethics. We are successful,confident, committed to our career, husband, children etc. She seem depress, unappreciated, pathetic, selfish,and of course lonely that she will take advantage of anyone regardless of the consequences. What about sexual transmitted diseases? What are you saying to out young black women? Please consider these things.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Flatline......
alf_wes24 January 2014
The 2 hour movie premiere left you wanting more...an affair, dying mom, slack family, addict brother, teenage mother to be which is Mary Jane's (niece). I actually liked the original name for the show "Single Black Female" because I don't know one, not one African American female name Mary Jane. They could have given her a more urban name. But anyway.... The most exciting thing about the show is Gabrielle Union's affair with a married man. Every single episode has a sex scene....yep Gabrielle Union shows some skin ( well as much as cable TV will allow). Scenes of oral sex being giving or received as well. Besides Mary Jane's ongoing affair the show is a SNOOZE! Her job and the stories she covers is a bore. The family serves mild drama but not enough to keep you entertained. Veeerrrrrrryyyyyyyy slow plot building. They never really show her interacting outside of work so we really don't get to know Mary Jane, unless she's at work or on her back. I will continue to watch and support because for the first time in a long we (African Americans) are starring in shows on cable and Basic prime time TV. Hopefully it picks up the pace.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Show that could have been good --if not for the insufferable main character
jamielireyn27 November 2018
I tried with this show. I wanted a female based drama. I short-lived quit the show twice in season two be use Mary Jane was--and is--insufferable, but gave it another try.

The last straw was in the beginning of season three where someone kills themselves and Mary Jane continues to maintain her self absorbed, victim lifestyle with zero charicter growth within three seasons.

I couldn't take it anymore! I was hoping for change, not wanting to be a miserable woman like her mother. Not blaming her failed romances on the men in her life but seeing her own role in that failure, being a better friend, seeing her own alcoholism instead of projecting on her siblings for their issues, I don't know. Something, anything that was likeable about her, but unfortunately there is nothing. When she only thought of herself after a suicide I couldn't take anymore, especially when the show would have been better if she was the character who killed themselves off.
Wonderful Show!
l_r_forever11 July 2018
This shows speak to what many black woman deal with in life.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not your typical cliché BET series, at least it's trying not to be one.
inthemiks17 August 2016
Very relatable by all walks of life who have to keep their lives private, yet have all these responsibilities. The main character is flawed and has constant moral dilemmas. It's very surprising that this is on BET, which was always plagued by stereotypical programming. Even when a good show moved to BET in the past, like The Game for example, the network pressure ended up ruining it. So when I saw a BET logo on the bottom of the screen when I was binge watching Mary Jane, I was very surprised. The same happened when I discovered well written gems like LA Complex and The 100 were from the CW, which I thought was a dull teen network. Well, I guess not anymore, times are changing. The show is very emotional at times, and I am sure BET may still try to spin this into another cliché, I hope that the writers will find a way around it. The show is a must watch for everyone, you do not have to be a black woman to understand the struggles of the main character. There are some tiny clichés in the interactions between different races on the show, but it seems to be a thing with the Atlanta based productions so far. Still the writing is great, and the show stand out. The race subject is approached very intelligently, yet it's not really what this show is about. It's instead is a look into a complexity of our lives in today society, which is so much more different than even 7-8 years ago. It's a very thought provoking from the start. Can't wait for the next season.