Fruitvale Station (2013)
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 23 items
|MPAA||Rated R for some violence, language throughout and some drug use|
Sex & Nudity
- A young woman is wearing a bra and underwear as a young man looks at her; the young man presses her against a wall as they kiss passionately. They recline on a bed, the young woman pulling off the young man's shirt (we see his bare back) and sex is implied.
- A shirtless young man climbs on top of a young woman wearing brief-style underwear and a T-shirt; he tries to kiss her, but she pushes him away and accuses him of cheating; after some discussion, they kiss passionately again until they are interrupted by a knock on the door.
- Two young men stare at a lesbian couple kissing; one begins to film them and make catcalls. Some gay kissing.
- A young man kisses a young woman's neck as she tries to turn away; he continues kissing her and jokes that her neck "tastes salty."
- A man grabs a woman's buttocks lovingly.
- A man makes a pass at a woman until the woman tells the man she's lesbian.
- As part of a police intake, we see a young man nude (his bare chest and the profile of his bare buttocks) bending over in front of a police officer; it is implied that the officer is spreading the man's buttocks apart as part of an examination and the man stands up (we see his bare buttocks in profile).
Violence & Gore
- Grainy cell phone footage of the shooting described above.
- A dog dies in a pool of blood; a young man pulls the dog into his arms and pets it (we see blood on the dog and the young man's shirt from holding the dog).
- A young man and an older man get into a fistfight in a crowded subway car; the former is thrown to the ground and kicked numerous times by several other men until the train stops.
- The hospital sheet covering a dead man is pulled back; we see him with blood on his face and a gunshot wound in his chest.
- A doctor says someone was shot and had massive internal bleeding and had to have a lung removed.
- A young man shoves past a police officer. Four additional officers grab and restrain him, and he shouts and struggles.
- We see an end note on the screen, that a police officer was arrested and charged with the murder of someone he shot; the police officer claims he thought he had pulled out his taser and shot him accidentally; we then see that the man was convicted of second-degree murder and sentenced to two years in prison but released after 11 months.
- A girl tells her father that she cannot sleep and is scared because she hears gunshots outside, the young man reassures her that they are firecrackers and that she is safe.
- Many f-words
- Name-calling (i.e. screw-up, dumbass).
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- The consumption of alcohol and the use of marijuana are prevalent through out the film.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- This movie is based on the true story of a controversial shooting that happened on New Year's Day 2009; the movie takes place over the 24 hours leading up to the incident.
- Violence is an issue during the shooting sequence; the actual footage is shown right from the beginning and recreated later in the film.
- The "N" word is used many times, it may offend some viewers.
- The film can be very upsetting.
Violence & Gore
- Three young men are shoved against a wall by police officers. One of them tries to fight back. A taser is aimed at one of the men, which results in an uproar. One of the men is yelled racial slurs to and pinned down by three officers, face-down. The second officer shoots the young man, to shock of the subway passengers filming. One officer approaches the train and shouts. The victim of the shooting coughs up blood. His handcuffs are released and a pool of blood forms under the young man's body; an EMT arrives and tries to rouse the young man, cutting off his clothing before he is raced away in an ambulance. We then see the young man, unconscious, on an operating table with blood coming from tubes in his chest and a doctor digs into a hole to pull out a bloody bullet; within hours he dies. A blood transfusion bag is thrown away.