The Babadook (2014)
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 38 items
Sex & Nudity
- There is no nudity in in this movie.
- A woman takes off her panties and briefly uses a vibrator in her bed under covers, but is interrupted quickly by a child. Only the woman's head is visible throughout the entire sequence, and sound is low. The scene can be unsettling due to its realistic setting. It's non-explicit but may be unsettling. This scene is interwoven with scenes of the child getting out of bed.
- A commercial of a prostitute is shown briefly in TV.
Violence & Gore
- A young boy pushes a young girl out of a tree house. She is not seen hitting the ground, but she is seen on the ground crying with visible blood around her nose. Her mother later states that her nose was broken in two places.
- A woman is drinking soup when she bites down on a piece of glass. There is blood on the glass when she removes it from her mouth. When she ladles through her soup bowl, several other pieces of glass are found.
- A woman crashes her car into an oncoming vehicle while suffering a panic attack. Her young child is in the car with her. No one is injured, but she drives away from the scene.
- A woman dreams that she sees her young son dead. Blood is over his shirt and face.
- It is implied that a woman pulls a tooth from her mouth. She yanks at it for several seconds, everything else happens offscreen.
- A boy shoots a woman in the arm with a dart gun, hits her and trips her with a tripwire as she is walking down a flight of stairs, causing her to hit her head on an overhang and stumble down the remainder of the stairs.
- In an hallucination/dream sequence, a man's head is cut in half. It is not bloody, but his brain matter can be seen.
- A woman vomits little amounts of a black, blood-like substance.
- 2 uses of fuck
- 2 uses of shit
- 1 use of bitch
- 1 use of damn
- Around 3 uses of bloody
- 1 use of "little pig"
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- A mother gives her child a sedative.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- There is a scene in the bedroom where the mother sees The Babadook crawl across the ceiling and lunge at her. One of the scariest moments in the film.
- Overall the film is very frightening and disturbing and contains lots of intense scenes
- The scenes with the monster terrorizing the mum and her son are extremely intense. Proceed with caution!
- The film is brave enough to leave out jump scares, so don't be expecting a jumpy film.
- A boy suffers a seizure whilst yelling at an invisible monster. He thrashes and convulses onscreen for several seconds. He also suffers a similar attack in his home, yelling "Don't let it in!" loudly and repeatedly while seeming to suffer extreme shock.
- The pop-up children's book featured in the film is graphic and can be quite intense when it is being read or viewed.
- There are several intense scenes featuring a monster that is often shadowed and appears suddenly. The sound the monster makes is also incredibly scary. These scenes can be extremely frightening.
- A pop-up children's book is read to a young child, which includes thinly veiled violent threats. The child is severely disturbed.
- The themes of this film are very intense. A very young boy is put in several frightening situations and some may find this quite confronting.
- Definite trigger warnings for anyone who had a violent or abusive relationship with parents, especially those who were threatened or assaulted by a parent.
- A young boy yells at his mother "Do you want to die?".
- A woman threatens a young boy with a large kitchen knife.
Violence & Gore
- A young boy proclaims loudly that he is going to "Smash (the monster's) head in".
- A pop-up children's book appears a second time, this time depicting a woman killing herself.
- A monster-like figure drops onto a woman twice. We see the woman scream, but the impact is not seen.
- A woman snaps her pet dog's neck and it is killed. The dog is seen struggling and whining for several moments, but most takes place offscreen. The dog's body is seen being thrown on the ground, but nothing bloody or graphic is seen. A small boy later enters the room and sees the dead dog. This scene may upset viewers or animal lovers.
- A young boy stabs a woman in the leg. Minimal blood is seen.
- A woman strangles a young boy. The boy survives.
- A young boy is seen dragged up the stairs and thrown against the wall twice by an unseen entity.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- The overall tone of the movie has really frightening themes that can easily scare a grown adult. The movie's central theme centers around grief and the repressed urges of a mother to kill her own child. Some consider it to be one of the scariest movies to come out in years. The fright factor alone warrants this movie to be R rated.