Blue Iguana (2018) Poster

(2018)

Quirky, off-beat, enjoyable
paulharvey-7015429 August 2018
Despite negative reviews, I found this very enjoyable. The London/cockney setting is excellent and may well appeal to an American audience unaware of this aspect of British society and watching Rockwell trying to speak cockney is very amusing. The characters are all very quirky with their own little foibles, the plot, although a little far fetched, moves along at a good pace. Nice little touches from known actors, especially Phoebe Fox as the somewhat corrupt lawyer and Amanda Donohoe as the foul-mouthed pub landlady as well as the bad guy telling the hit team what he is going to do to them at the end made this a worthwhile journey. Although it is not laugh out loud funny, it is rather subtle in its approach and Rockwell is just Rockwell. Recommended with a bucket of popcorn and some friends and don't believe what they say.
32 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Retro Blast!
meldavies7430 August 2018
A film that made me cackle out loud. Ben(Jean Ralphio) Schwartz bounced off the uber cool Sam Rockwell and actress Ive never seen before, Phoebe Fox steals the show as a food obsessed genius lawyer.

The plot moves from one insane scene to another and you never know what to expect, I just went with it and laughed my ass off.

Its got an old 80s vibe, all rough and scratchy which fitted well with the whole music they used.

A real fun retro blast.
24 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Have a fun time and just go for this ride
kristoffe-brodeur30 August 2018
This is quirky, weird and certainly funny. They got each little moment in culture on point, and Sam Rockwell is a beast, even with tiny moments. I think what works best is the vanilla british female lawyer who hires the two ex cons to do a screwball job. It makes me laugh especially with the small facial expressions they get on point.

It is similar to many theatre style linear activity films. Each little who dunnit going to another fun reveal keeps the flow and it's really silly. One of my favorite things in acting is proper timing in dialog and good editing right after each moment and it works here well.

Really, the music and the moments are great. It plays out like a theatre production, noises off, something akin to that. Moments like high end moisturizing toilet paper and women's tampons for bullet wounds are sophomoric but great.
25 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Laugh Out Loud Funny
livealittleday31 August 2018
I laughed out loud so many times in this film in so many unexpected ways, some great zingers and some of the most bizarre scenes that had me in doubled up laughing.

I want ruin the ending for you but it is so BRILLIANTLY OVER THE TOP in such an insane way that you will not forget it it easily.
19 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Superb Female Lead
billymcclean31 August 2018
At first glance this may not be totally obvious but this is a great womans films from start to finish.

Ok so it has Sam Rockwlel in i and you would expect he is the main lead, but its Phoebe Fox who is the one with the real back bone, the smarts and the skill that makes this film shine.

The rest of the cast do a fine job, but Fox is the one who has the lime light here and its great to a have a woman be front and centre in a move.
24 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
English Humour at its Finest & Silliest.
s_sanjay7131 August 2018
If you like Monty Python, if you like insanity and swearing, if you like mullets and cockney accents then this movie is for you.

There are some lines in This film that are so rude but most importantly funny in a british way that I DARE YOU not to laugh, its not intellectual humour its SILLY HUMOUR.

THE BEST OF BRITISH SILLINESS!
15 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ello Ello Old Chap, Hlarious!
treehuggerjoey31 August 2018
Phoebe Fox steals the show in tho very funny Brit Pic, her gross-out eating but Hilarious acting is just amazing, she is a star of the future.

Sam Rockwell comes close to matching her when he does a cockney accent but Phoebe performs a KNOCKOUT PERFORMANCE.
14 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Phoebe Fox is a genius!
brian-mata31 August 2018
This film is way out there nuts, every second of it is filled with such great weirdness that I could not help but laugh.

The real star of this movie though is the British woman who plays Katherine, Phoebe Fox, so understated and very funny.

I loved how she manipulated all the characters and was the real hero, LIKE A BOSS!
15 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boss Lady laughs BUT Unfair On Men
john_charalambous1 September 2018
VERY FUNNY film but also very very weird in so many good ways.

Theres a real feminist subtext going on here that has not been noticed, yes its great the lawyer is the smartest cookie but its bit unfair to portray all the men as dopes.

If things were the other ways round then I'm sure we'd have a lot of complaints.

Nevertheless, its a very funny film.
13 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved This Film, Men over 25 will Not.
fishwickjohn2330 August 2018
It may seem like a guy movie but it soo isn't.

Phoebe Fox takes centre stage, as the hot dog munching geeky nerdy lawyer who basically runs rings around all the men in the film.

She is smarter, ay cooler and more together but so what if she has bad eating habits?!

You really have to look carefully at what is being said in this film about the female male dynamic in movies.

If you can't see that fact and enjoy it, I guarantee you are a man and are over the age of 25!
34 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Misses the mark
PrincessFluffy111124 August 2018
I was shocked at how cliched this was and I found the writing crass and clumsy. Also the acting is very over done particularly Anton Saunders and Sam Rockwell does not shine either. All very disappointing and a shame.
13 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funky Yet Bland British Caper Flic
lavatch14 October 2018
It is interesting to compare British action pictures with the American style. In the latter, the emphasis is on narrative design often with plot twists. By contrast, the British films focus too heavily on gratuitous violence and on a variety of quirky characters.

The title "Blue Iguana" derives from a beautiful blue diamond that is the focal point of a heist that is attempted by a disgruntled British female lawyer against her unsavory boss Arkady. The bookish, bespectacled attorney named Katherine goes all the way to New York to recruit a couple of hardened criminals, who are out on parole. Eddie and Paul are roped into the job for which they travel across the pond to London.

The heist is complicated by a set of thugs working for Arkady. The motley crew of Arkady does battle with Katherine's gang for a stash of money, bonds, and the greatest prize, the Blue Iguana diamond.

Sam Rockwell was good as the wise-cracking Eddie, who had great confidence in his abilities to prevail over his adversaries. Phoebe Fox also developed a good character in Katherine, who loves her food, and is always snarfing a snack. The sets smacked of a low-budget film that never really created a believable London backdrop. As a whole, "Blue Iguana" was a forgettable trifle that served to reinforce the stereotype of the all-too-often unimaginative approach of the Brits to the action genre.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Definitely my cup of tea!
markhappyboy5 December 2018
To the reviewer who guaranteed that any men over 25 would not like this movie, Guess what? I'm a man who's 46 and I loved this movie!
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why Sam? Why?
BatmanFunReviews201825 August 2018
Ex-jailbirds Eddie and Paul are on parole and working in a New York diner. Their lives are a dead end. That is, until English lawyer Katherine Rookwood walks into the diner with an offer they can't refuse. Sam Rockwell is a fantastic actor and he has proven that time and time again from action, to horror to even comedic roles and he even won an oscar for that. However tho? Blue Iguana is not his highest level of good roles he has ever chosen to appear and the movie tries a bit hard to even crack you a smile in the end. Basically it's a waste of both talent and time.
11 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not funny
Gordon-1129 August 2018
This film tells the story of two criminals from New York, who are invited to the UK for a big job.

After just ten minutes into the film, I was already completely put off by it. It is not funny at all, despite it trying hard to be funny. The plot is implausible, and ends up silly and annoying.
9 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
the she eats
karagoz-emre4 October 2018
Unnecessary amount of unnecessary shots of a woman eating food in a repulsive way.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A simple solution to a complex problem.
nogodnomasters23 September 2018
Two American criminals on parole (Sam Rockwell, Ben Schwartz) are recruited by a London attorney (Phoebe Fox) to travel to London on forged passports so they can "intercept a package" for $30,000 each. Things did not go that well and they end up staying to intercept another package from British criminal types.

It was a decent crime comedy. They managed to work items introduced early back into the script. What they didn't do was to create the main characters with a real backstory. Good soundtrack.

Guide: F-word. Sex. No nudity
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cool down Sam Rockwell
sqwertysqwirt2 September 2018
First you win that golden thing and now all I see in that movie how fast he kicks asses. Also the setup of movie makes me laugh quite a lot about stupidity of situations on the display. I think critics shouldn't have taken that movie too seriously and judgemental.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not as good as i thought it'd be ..
Aktham_Tashtush24 August 2018
So the movie is not like the worst movie ever ,, but not really as good as the trailer shows it would... and watched it because of Sam Rockwell in the first place.

The plot is repetitive ,, there were some nice moments but the whole idea of the movie is just dull ,, the genre says it is romance comedy which is not ,, i mean i think they missed the romance part and made it like a small far away crush ,, and for the comedy it was just light , no laughs , no giggles what so ever .. i mean there was action and thrill in some moments i gotta give them that ,,, but overall i was so disappointed ..

Disappointed,, because, i love Sam Rockwell,, and i thought this would be like ""Mr. Right " style , but nope .. and Ben Schwartz is an amazing comedian but here apparently the script didn't help.

final judgment,, if you really expect to watch comedy romance thingy .. just find something else .. or go watch an episode of "Friends",, which what i'll do right now.
6 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved it!
mistynoel-169358 December 2018
Ok ya so everyone says it's lame and corny ext ect, honestly it was kind of lame but i couldn't stop watching, and it had lots of parts that weren't expected, I would pick this movie over all the stupid comic book ripoffs, or the dumb action movies that they just won't stop making, way to be original, this movie was awesome and anything with Sam Rockwell is must watch! 10 out of 10!
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A mediocre movie saved by great acting
siderite25 November 2018
This is a heist movie. Nuff said. The same old tired story of "a crew" who need to steal the big stone from another crew, with twists and turns that, not unlike a long road with no turnings, are pretty predictable from the get go. However, the actors shine in it, even the supporting cast is great, so in the end is just entertaining. Dumb, but fun. Even so, while I love Sam Rockwell and he was great in this, too, some of the unknown actors shone brightest. Ben Schwartz and Peter Ferdinando were great.

Now, the script was not bad, it's just that this particular genre feels really tired and stupid to me. As a heist film it was probably OK. I just wanted something that made a little more sense, story wise.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awful!
mannin1118 October 2018
Love Sam Rockwell but this movie is an appalling mess. The script seems to have been made up as the film went along. So many untalented English actors. Where the Hell did the producers find them? On the street? Odd scenes thrown in with older upper-class actors that are filth for the sake of filth with nothing to do with the plot and don't shock, merely leave one baffled by their inclusion and aware of the lack of talent of the screenwriter. You'd have to be a sniggering schoolboy to get anything out of these scenes. Rockwell is lost in this mess and should have passed. The wonderful Amanda Donahoe conquers all her scenes and the producers should have been glad to have had her. If you're a fan of Rockwell's (as I am) then give this one a miss. Sam, we love you but you should have passed!
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.